FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Essential travel?

Essential travel?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man  over a year ago

in the sticks

Noticed the last couple of weeks roads are almost back to normal etc

Now in certain times of the year plod sets up road blocks for drink driving, usually in the morning.

So why aren't they doing it now? I might be wrong but haven't seen a road block or vehicles being pulled over.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I've seen vehicles being stopped but then I live in Derbyshire and our local police have been all over the papers for being heavy handed

The traffic is back to pre covid levels near me in fact at many times it's worse as more people are off work and travelling around

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Been working all through as key worker.First lockdown was great as roads empty,but since Christmas the roads are the busiest I have known.

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Yes it happens around here and people have been turned back.

Many more people are at work in this lockdown compared to the first time around

By *uHorny1Man  over a year ago

Cannock

It's amazing how many cars are on the road when I'm driving to work at 2.30 in the afternoon....

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

The roads in s wales are also very busy but more people are travelling to work by their own transport as can t car share or use public transport

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

We haven't heard of anyone being stopped by police around here.

The roads are busier bur more people are working this lockdown.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

Estate agents are also open this time and with stamp duty incentive till end March it’s crazy busy, loads of viewings and activity

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've not known or anyone stopped but was suspicious that a police car followed me home from 0.5 to 1 mile away in the first lockdown, driving back from the shops, as they got stuck behind me, in my road.

Traffic is lighter but not by a large amount. Definitely more business traffic about.

I assume if people get stopped, they could be from out of area, especially at night. Police levels are obviously low, including due to infections or isolation needs.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Estate agents are also open this time and with stamp duty incentive till end March it’s crazy busy, loads of viewings and activity"

People can also travel long distances, due to house sales and buying. There are probably lots more reasons that are getting people travelling now m, compared to the 1st

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

I'm an example of one of those cars on the motorway when I travel to see my partner who lives two hours away. This wasn't allowed in the first lockdown but we can travel to visit our bubble this time round.

Also, I travel 45 mins to work on Saturdays.

Just more coming and going. It doesn't necessarily mean breaking rules.

X

To be honest are not so sure they are as busy maybe the local roads but I don't think the motorways are.

We have had to travel from London to Southampton a couple of times during this lock down for essential medical treatment and the M25 well iv never seen it so quiet.

in the sticks

Most haven't considered the main question, as in normal times plod would be out doing road blocks for drink driving ... yet not doing any stop and question what's so ever, crime is down etc so what's the reason?

Whitley Bay

"To be honest are not so sure they are as busy maybe the local roads but I don't think the motorways are.

We have had to travel from London to Southampton a couple of times during this lock down for essential medical treatment and the M25 well iv never seen it so quiet."

Yep.. I've done Newcastle to Leeds trip quite a few times since bubbles were allowed. Its pretty much quiet but not empty.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"It's amazing how many cars are on the road when I'm driving to work at 2.30 in the afternoon...."

Probally thinking the same about you tbf

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

"Most haven't considered the main question, as in normal times plod would be out doing road blocks for drink driving ... yet not doing any stop and question what's so ever, crime is down etc so what's the reason?"

I’ve been stopped 3 times in lockdown and never previously

Certain Crimes will be down, lots of shops are closed and people are home more... less burglaries and theft maybe x

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

No loads of people who have been stopped by police going places.

Myself not been anywhere anyway

Whitley Bay

"Most haven't considered the main question, as in normal times plod would be out doing road blocks for drink driving ... yet not doing any stop and question what's so ever, crime is down etc so what's the reason?"

Yes sorry.. I've not seen any police presence or stopping in all my travels.. although I have read and heard of some.

I live in a seaside town and it can get busy. I'm sure there are lots of non locals. There is a police presence but not stopping.

At a guess, they know there are many exceptions to the 'rules' and do perrhaos a waste of police resources and time to follow everyone depending on the area and what other issues they need to deal with. Local forces have autonomy to decide how they interpret and enforce rules.

By *untimes6969Man  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Roads are very quiet at the moment, more so in this lockdown ‘session’. Maybe the message has got through, plus a lot more people are working from home etc.

I’ve never ever seen a ‘roadblock’ in my entire life. For drink drivers or anything else. I’ve seen vehicle check points run by VOSA and the DVLA for commercial vehicles but that’s it.

Less cops than ever now and they still have stuff to deal with other than covid. Crime hasn’t just gone away because people are locked down.

By *ighlander80884Man  over a year ago

Inverness

"Most haven't considered the main question, as in normal times plod would be out doing road blocks for drink driving ... yet not doing any stop and question what's so ever, crime is down etc so what's the reason?

I’ve been stopped 3 times in lockdown and never previously

x"

Have you recently stuck a Fab sticker on your bumper?

people seem to want to live in a police state... tho a few more wouldn't go amiss

By *asycouple1971Couple  over a year ago

midlands

Roads here are still very busy. No lockdown here.

By *uckslut and MCouple  over a year ago

Poole

"It's amazing how many cars are on the road when I'm driving to work at 2.30 in the afternoon...."

I'm on the road at 2.30pm doing an essentaul journey = the school run. As well as many other parents. Shorter school days, so school runs are at odd times now.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Maybe they are going for their vaccines?

Poole

[Removed by poster at 13/02/21 18:46:19]

Poole

"Noticed the last couple of weeks roads are almost back to normal etc

Now in certain times of the year plod sets up road blocks for drink driving, usually in the morning.

So why aren't they doing it now? I might be wrong but haven't seen a road block or vehicles being pulled over."

As we live in a seaside town, we've had Police patroling car parks, checking car reg's with anpr. We pulled into one to eat our takeaway. They left us alone as we're local. They did speak to other cars thou.

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

It is probably Bozo & his entourage heading off & out all over the country to put a hard hat & white coat on..

By *havennaturistsCouple  over a year ago

Banff

So why aren't they doing it now? I might be wrong but haven't seen a road block or vehicles being pulled over.

As we live in a seaside town, we've had Police patroling car parks, checking car reg's with anpr. We pulled into one to eat our takeaway. They left us alone as we're local. They did speak to other cars thou. "

Meanwhile, in the real world, crime continues unabated......but too complicated to solve for Mr Plod and doesn't look good on 'crimes solved' statistics.

So why aren't they doing it now? I might be wrong but haven't seen a road block or vehicles being pulled over."

Wouldn't that be because you are only going out for essential travel. And therefore not very often?

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

The roads aren't back to normal here.

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Roads are very quiet in our area, have been for months.

I got stopped twice in the first lockdown and got pulled 2 weeks ago asking why I was in the area, 120 miles from home for work.

By *ogerBottomsMan  over a year ago

Aberdare

"The roads in s wales are also very busy but more people are travelling to work by their own transport as can t car share or use public transport "

It's not quite as bad at the Newport end of the M4. Pre-Covid, it was solid from Magor services to the Brynglas Tunnels between about 4 and 7pm each day. Free flowing now.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I've noticed the roads at the weekend have been virtually empty and much less traffic during the week.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Roads are very quiet at the moment, more so in this lockdown ‘session’. Maybe the message has got through, plus a lot more people are working from home etc. "
my partner works for the highways and they are not really seeing any significant reduction in traffic

in the sticks

looks like some one from the met read my post ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9259767/Police-set-checkpoint-Londons-Putney-Bridge-spotting-Covid-rule-breaks-motoring-offences.html

It’s definitely busy out there, but not sure it’s pre Covid levels

I use the a50/M1 every morning, and for the last year I haven’t had to queue to join the m1 at east mids airport, or to get off at fosse park. It’s busy, and surely not all essential, but not pre-Covid.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Must vary in different areas.since march last year the road i walk to work along has had no traffic backed up on it.before covid there would be 2 or 3 miles of traffic backed up in the morning and evening im lucky if a cpl of dozen cars pass me on my walk to work and back now

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"looks like some one from the met read my post ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9259767/Police-set-checkpoint-Londons-Putney-Bridge-spotting-Covid-rule-breaks-motoring-offences.html"

That was set up to check on uninsured / untaxed vehicles, not as the headline suggests covid rule breakers, it caught one rule breaker

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9259767/Police-set-checkpoint-Londons-Putney-Bridge-spotting-Covid-rule-breaks-motoring-offences.html"

That was set up to check on uninsured / untaxed vehicles, not as the headline suggests covid rule breakers, it caught one virus rule breaker

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

So 25 officers over a 12 hour period in a metropolis, caught one covid rule breaker.

The other offences were motoring related.

» Add a new message to this topic