FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > New strains

New strains

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ntelligent Gent. OP   Man  over a year ago

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-scientists-label-mutation-found-in-bristol-as-variant-of-concern-12213581

Lets just wipe this out. Covid zero.

Stop bottling it. STRICTLY follow Australia and NZ.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The only thing that worries me about the Australia and New Zealand model is they have pretty much no herd Immunity.

At some point they are going to have to open up and yes they will hopefully vaccinated the majority of the population but I just think it's a very risky strategy in the longer term. I genuinely hope it pays off for them though.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"The only thing that worries me about the Australia and New Zealand model is they have pretty much no herd Immunity.

At some point they are going to have to open up and yes they will hopefully vaccinated the majority of the population but I just think it's a very risky strategy in the longer term. I genuinely hope it pays off for them though. "

I'm glad, as someone with multiple clinically vulnerable relatives in Australia.

"The only thing that worries me about the Australia and New Zealand model is they have pretty much no herd Immunity.

At some point they are going to have to open up and yes they will hopefully vaccinated the majority of the population but I just think it's a very risky strategy in the longer term. I genuinely hope it pays off for them though.

I'm glad, as someone with multiple clinically vulnerable relatives in Australia."

I totally get that but what if the vaccine isn't as effective as we think and there is no herd immunity surely that has to be a concern.

Manchester (she/her)

I'm glad, as someone with multiple clinically vulnerable relatives in Australia.

I totally get that but what if the vaccine isn't as effective as we think and there is no herd immunity surely that has to be a concern."

As the head of the Therapeutic Goods Administration in Australia put it, perhaps not diplomatically, they get to watch how it goes in other countries first before taking risks themselves.

I totally get that but what if the vaccine isn't as effective as we think and there is no herd immunity surely that has to be a concern.

As the head of the Therapeutic Goods Administration in Australia put it, perhaps not diplomatically, they get to watch how it goes in other countries first before taking risks themselves."

And that's kind of my point I get why they are doing it, What if it doesn't work are they just going to stay shut forever?

Manchester (she/her)

As the head of the Therapeutic Goods Administration in Australia put it, perhaps not diplomatically, they get to watch how it goes in other countries first before taking risks themselves.

And that's kind of my point I get why they are doing it, What if it doesn't work are they just going to stay shut forever?"

No. But they'll learn from our mistakes. I'd rather be in their shoes.

By *ntelligent Gent. OP   Man  over a year ago

Its working right now. Think its more of a case of get back to us when the death rate per 100k is even half that of ours.

Manchester (she/her)

"Its working right now. Think its more of a case of get back to us when the death rate per 100k is even half that of ours."

Population about 25 million. They've had 950 deaths total.

"Its working right now. Think its more of a case of get back to us when the death rate per 100k is even half that of ours.

Population about 25 million. They've had 950 deaths total."

And it's 30 times bigger and population density is nothing like the UK.

Manchester (she/her)

"Its working right now. Think its more of a case of get back to us when the death rate per 100k is even half that of ours.

And it's 30 times bigger and population density is nothing like the UK. "

Yes I know, the virus forum has told me many times, the fact that the outback exists means that the population density in Australian cities is somehow exempt from disease transmission. Magic.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

I totally get that but what if the vaccine isn't as effective as we think and there is no herd immunity surely that has to be a concern."

There is no such thing as herd immunity to covid without vaccination. To even have any possibility of herd immunity there would have to be more than 70% exposure to the virus. We are currently running at maybe 10% exposure, with deaths at approx 115,000, in a year. So we could either go for about another 600 thousand deaths, being 6 years at the current rate, or if we try to fit them all into one year then totally overload the health systems and get an extra million deaths through the fallout of that.

Or we could have closed the borders properly twelve months ago, carried on more or less normal lives, spent all the lockdown money on systems for working out unaccompanied freight across the channel, and reached the current point of the vaccination scheme without having got vaccine resistant strains on the loose in the country, and without having had well over 100,000 deaths.

And like Australia, have the luxury of time to see how the rest of the world comes out of it.

By *endulum 20Couple  over a year ago

sandy

perth are currently in a 5 day lock down due to an out break

Manchester (she/her)

"perth are currently in a 5 day lock down due to an out break"

Perth's lockdown is over.

And their outbreak? One case. Not one thousand. Not one hundred. ONE.

Since April.

Stockport

And it's 30 times bigger and population density is nothing like the UK. "

Yeah funny thing about that 30 times bigger. About 29 and a half times of that is just desert where no bugger lives at all. About 95% of the people live on the little bit around the edge where the weather doesn't kill them, in cities where the population density might not be as high as central london, but is a lot more than most towns in britain where covid is running rife.

By *endulum 20Couple  over a year ago

sandy

oh is it sorry i thought it started on sunday for 5 days

my cousin who lives there told me

Manchester (she/her)

Yeah funny thing about that 30 times bigger. About 29 and a half times of that is just desert where no bugger lives at all. About 95% of the people live on the little bit around the edge where the weather doesn't kill them, in cities where the population density might not be as high as central london, but is a lot more than most towns in britain where covid is running rife."

I live in an area with way lower population density than many parts of Sydney.

Our current (below national average) local Covid rates are more than 1.5 times any rate recorded in Sydney throughout the pandemic.

But outback, so it doesn't count, because reasons.

Manchester (she/her)

"oh is it sorry i thought it started on sunday for 5 days

my cousin who lives there told me

"

No worries, ended on the 5th.

Stockport

Yes I know, the virus forum has told me many times, the fact that the outback exists means that the population density in Australian cities is somehow exempt from disease transmission. Magic."

For those that don't quite understand the socio-geography of Australia, imagine what Southport beach looks like when the tide is out. Miles and miles of sweet FA. But ten thousand times bigger. You might get the very occasional hardy local that can survive out there, but the vast majority go and live huddled together in things called cities. Where they are just at likely as here to have an incredibly infectious disease spreading through the population. But they don't, mainly because they didn't let hundreds of thousands of infected people keep coming in and out of the country for more than a year after the danger was known. And for the very few cases that got into the country before the borders were closed, and the few that have smuggled themselves in since, they set up a proper system to track infection and prevent it spreading.

Result: A country that isn't bankrupt. A country that hasn't had a hundred thousand dead and only fuck knows how many severely crippled. A country where you can still go watch a movie in a cinema. Eat a meal in a restaurant. A country where swingers can still go shagging on a Saturday night...

Manchester (she/her)

Regardless of Australia or New Zealand, Zero Covid is the best strategy going forward. And it'll be harder now, but of course it's possible.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

Yes I know, the virus forum has told me many times, the fact that the outback exists means that the population density in Australian cities is somehow exempt from disease transmission. Magic.

For those that don't quite understand the socio-geography of Australia, imagine what Southport beach looks like when the tide is out. Miles and miles of sweet FA. But ten thousand times bigger. You might get the very occasional hardy local that can survive out there, but the vast majority go and live huddled together in things called cities. Where they are just at likely as here to have an incredibly infectious disease spreading through the population. But they don't, mainly because they didn't let hundreds of thousands of infected people keep coming in and out of the country for more than a year after the danger was known. And for the very few cases that got into the country before the borders were closed, and the few that have smuggled themselves in since, they set up a proper system to track infection and prevent it spreading.

Result: A country that isn't bankrupt. A country that hasn't had a hundred thousand dead and only fuck knows how many severely crippled. A country where you can still go watch a movie in a cinema. Eat a meal in a restaurant. A country where swingers can still go shagging on a Saturday night..."

This .... all the counties that have effectively managed the pandemic are women ... funny that.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

*urgh have women in charge you know what I meant I hope

By *athan 123Man  over a year ago

rochdale oldham border

"https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-scientists-label-mutation-found-in-bristol-as-variant-of-concern-12213581

Lets just wipe this out. Covid zero.

Stop bottling it. STRICTLY follow Australia and NZ.

"

NZ and OZ got it right bojo and his government cocked up from day 1 imo

Manchester (she/her)

"*urgh have women in charge you know what I meant I hope "

Australia has Scott Morrison. They mostly got lucky. (Some of the state premiers are women and to some extent the premiers forced his hand)

Stockport

"*urgh have women in charge you know what I meant I hope

Australia has Scott Morrison. They mostly got lucky. (Some of the state premiers are women and to some extent the premiers forced his hand)"

If it wasn't for our own female first minister up north many times forcing bojo's hand, I dread to think how much worse it could have been here.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

A lot of paranoia about these strains I think stops people demanding lockdown to end maybe

Manchester (she/her)

"*urgh have women in charge you know what I meant I hope

Australia has Scott Morrison. They mostly got lucky. (Some of the state premiers are women and to some extent the premiers forced his hand)

If it wasn't for our own female first minister up north many times forcing bojo's hand, I dread to think how much worse it could have been here."

Mmhm

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's a smarter strategy to have adopted, elimination, rather than bodging it all the way, never having clear objectives that everyone knew, other than save the NHS. We do a bit of something, inevitably late and aim for soundbite headlines.

300 or so people almost a year ago, had their arrival from China paused for a short while. Work was done with the Holiday Inn, Heathrow to use it for quarantine. Yesterday there were no contracts with hotels almost a year later Whilst we've allowed the UK to be seeded with new clusters of infection, whilst clueless Ministers did virtually nothing.

Indecision, inactivity, unwillingness to understand things from the perspective of the majority who have limited financial security, atrocious decisions and resistance to do anything promptly, with the necessary speed of an emergency crisis.

There are many simple decisions to take, that are clearly wise, to protect citizens and the wellbeing of the country.

Stockport

"It's a smarter strategy to have adopted, elimination, rather than bodging it all the way, never having clear objectives that everyone knew, other than save the NHS. We do a bit of something, inevitably late and aim for soundbite headlines.

300 or so people almost a year ago, had their arrival from China paused for a short while. Work was done with the Holiday Inn, Heathrow to use it for quarantine. Yesterday there were no contracts with hotels almost a year later Whilst we've allowed the UK to be seeded with new clusters of infection, whilst clueless Ministers did virtually nothing.

Indecision, inactivity, unwillingness to understand things from the perspective of the majority who have limited financial security, atrocious decisions and resistance to do anything promptly, with the necessary speed of an emergency crisis.

There are many simple decisions to take, that are clearly wise, to protect citizens and the wellbeing of the country. "

Exactly this. If the country wasn't run by venal idiots I could have spent last Saturday evening sharing a hot tub with beautiful ladies at a club in Leeds, Blackpool, Birkenhead, Sheffield or Manchester...

» Add a new message to this topic