FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Face masks

Face masks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *S2004 OP   Man  over a year ago

Bromsgrove

I apologise in advance if this has been covered and feel in need of a rant. I have just been to the local garage (one with the greggs, subway type) while in there paying for fuel there were 4 people who came in not wearing masks. I am not averse to those in need of an exemption if that is what is deemed appropriate. What did annoy me though was that when challenged about their exemption status one of them responded that ‘we don’t like them’. They were served regardless (which given the age of the assistant and the overall generic look of the 3 guys who had got out of the van indicating they worked on driveways I don’t blame him) and left as if there was no one else to consider.

Rant over

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Who *likes* masks?

Bromsgrove

"Who *likes* masks? "

Very much my thoughts. No one likes to have these restrictions but it is for the greater good.

Not in my high horse and wanting to avoid stereotypes but some groups just seem to actively reinforce them

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I apologise in advance if this has been covered and feel in need of a rant. I have just been to the local garage (one with the greggs, subway type) while in there paying for fuel there were 4 people who came in not wearing masks. I am not averse to those in need of an exemption if that is what is deemed appropriate. What did annoy me though was that when challenged about their exemption status one of them responded that ‘we don’t like them’. They were served regardless (which given the age of the assistant and the overall generic look of the 3 guys who had got out of the van indicating they worked on driveways I don’t blame him) and left as if there was no one else to consider.

Rant over "

I see this daily in my work travels, its very annoying, people do not like being pulled up on it one bit.

Its far too common and pisses me off but I do my bit and have given up mentioning to people, oh and not ince have i ever seen a shop worker pull a customer up for not wearing a mask.

This is the reality out there in the real world, its very sad.

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple  over a year ago

Watford

Oh, they were "special people". People who are so special that rules don't apply to them, just to everybody else.

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I know what you mean, it kind of is a catch 22 thing, it is not easy for anyone to wear the mask, it must be even harder for those working in the shops, but I think that shop workers should get more powers to tell them.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

If I worked in a shop I wouldn't challenge any body. If I owned a shop I'd tell staff not to challenge people unless I could afford security. I'd make it security staffs job to respectfully request that customers wear a mask, if they had forgotten theirs they could hand them one, if for any reason they refused they'd politely ask them to wait outside while staff did their shopping for them, if they were exempt they could continue as normal. I don't know what I'd do about the majority who wear their mask incorrectly, more than once, keep adjusting it by their mouth and nose or pull it down every time they speak.

Masks....wearing/not wearing is the most boring subject ever to be covered 5million times on a forum with the same outcome every single time, some people are for masks some aren't for any more clarification refer to the endless stream of mask related threads using the search option.

"Masks....wearing/not wearing is the most boring subject ever to be covered 5million times on a forum with the same outcome every single time, some people are for masks some aren't for any more clarification refer to the endless stream of mask related threads using the search option. "

But it fails to stop you contributing on them

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

There are cunts in every society and you met 4 of them

"Masks....wearing/not wearing is the most boring subject ever to be covered 5million times on a forum with the same outcome every single time, some people are for masks some aren't for any more clarification refer to the endless stream of mask related threads using the search option.

But it fails to stop you contributing on them "

I just love the drama of it

But if you were wearing a mask...

And you wear a mask when you see other people...

and the people you see all wear masks etc...

The other customers had masks...

The assistant had effective cover in place...

then surely these people are only a risk to their own circle of friends and family or others that don't wear masks...

Why get so angry?

Manchester (she/her)

"But if you were wearing a mask...

then surely these people are only a risk to their own circle of friends and family or others that don't wear masks...

Why get so angry?

"

You are aware that masks are a mitigation, right? Not perfect?

And every person not wearing a mask increases the risk?

I can see being fed up and just wanting people to get on with it rather than perpetuating this thing even more

"I apologise in advance if this has been covered and feel in need of a rant. I have just been to the local garage (one with the greggs, subway type) while in there paying for fuel there were 4 people who came in not wearing masks. I am not averse to those in need of an exemption if that is what is deemed appropriate. What did annoy me though was that when challenged about their exemption status one of them responded that ‘we don’t like them’. They were served regardless (which given the age of the assistant and the overall generic look of the 3 guys who had got out of the van indicating they worked on driveways I don’t blame him) and left as if there was no one else to consider.

Rant over "

This worries me, because if people can't manage to do it when it's mandatory, we have no chance of them doing it when the restrictions are lifted and they are only advisory.

As many people as possible need to be wearing them, for as long as possible.

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Rant over

This worries me, because if people can't manage to do it when it's mandatory, we have no chance of them doing it when the restrictions are lifted and they are only advisory.

As many people as possible need to be wearing them, for as long as possible."

Soon as we don’t have to wear a muzzle they are going straight in the bin and good riddance

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

I wouldn't wear one if I had a choice.

"I wouldn't wear one if I had a choice."

ffs this shit again really

This does annoy me at times. I have an 8 year old with sensory issues and other issues, yet when attending hospital or doctors appointments she will wear a mask (her choice I might add, as she really doesn't have to). If a young child who is otherwise exempt can put one on, what real excuse does a healthy adult have.

Herne Bay

"This does annoy me at times. I have an 8 year old with sensory issues and other issues, yet when attending hospital or doctors appointments she will wear a mask (her choice I might add, as she really doesn't have to). If a young child who is otherwise exempt can put one on, what real excuse does a healthy adult have. "
It’s called freedom of choice remember that ? seems to have been forgotten in last 10 months

Manchester (she/her)

"This does annoy me at times. I have an 8 year old with sensory issues and other issues, yet when attending hospital or doctors appointments she will wear a mask (her choice I might add, as she really doesn't have to). If a young child who is otherwise exempt can put one on, what real excuse does a healthy adult have. It’s called freedom of choice remember that ? seems to have been forgotten in last 10 months "

Freedom of choice to break the law, to risk other people's health?

I live in a society. No thanks

When it comes to the choices we make impacting others health, I think there is a little more to it.

Or did you have the same argument when smoking was banned from enclosed public spaces?

"This does annoy me at times. I have an 8 year old with sensory issues and other issues, yet when attending hospital or doctors appointments she will wear a mask (her choice I might add, as she really doesn't have to). If a young child who is otherwise exempt can put one on, what real excuse does a healthy adult have. "

Herne Bay

"When it comes to the choices we make impacting others health, I think there is a little more to it.

Or did you have the same argument when smoking was banned from enclosed public spaces? "

There is no argument if you want to reduce all risk don’t go out your house , do you know what’s dangerous? Living

If masks, social distancing, hand sanitizer and lock downs actually worked, we would see a drop in cases, but they don't work.

You can't lay the blame on the non mask wearers and they are no stats to back this up.

Good news...flu deaths are lower now than ever in recorded history.

Next thing we'll find out is that the vaccine doesn't work.

When will this shit ever end??

And to be honest this attitude annoys me as well because just because some people can wear a face covering others can't.

Also if she can wear a mask she is not exempt (except though age) As the only exemption is if you physically cannot put one on, take one off or doing so causes severe distress.

If you can do these things then you are not exempt.

"When it comes to the choices we make impacting others health, I think there is a little more to it.

Or did you have the same argument when smoking was banned from enclosed public spaces? There is no argument if you want to reduce all risk don’t go out your house , do you know what’s dangerous? Living "

So rather than adapt your behaviour to reduce the risk of another you'd rather everyone else just stay in and let you live your best life at the risk of others. Should we view speeding the same way? Or drink driving?

There are plenty if laws in place to reduce the risk to others for various reasons, are they all infringing on your rights also?

Or did you have the same argument when smoking was banned from enclosed public spaces? There is no argument if you want to reduce all risk don’t go out your house , do you know what’s dangerous? Living

So rather than adapt your behaviour to reduce the risk of another you'd rather everyone else just stay in and let you live your best life at the risk of others. Should we view speeding the same way? Or drink driving?

There are plenty if laws in place to reduce the risk to others for various reasons, are they all infringing on your rights also? "

And there is exemptions to the law of wearing masks for a reason at this cannot just be ignored because some people don't see why everyone can't wear one.

Herne Bay

"This does annoy me at times. I have an 8 year old with sensory issues and other issues, yet when attending hospital or doctors appointments she will wear a mask (her choice I might add, as she really doesn't have to). If a young child who is otherwise exempt can put one on, what real excuse does a healthy adult have.

And to be honest this attitude annoys me as well because just because some people can wear a face covering others can't.

Also if she can wear a mask she is not exempt (except though age) As the only exemption is if you physically cannot put one on, take one off or doing so causes severe distress.

If you can do these things then you are not exempt. "

What some are saying wear masks when all this Covid is over , we are saying when you don’t have to wear a muzzle /face nappy we won’t

Manchester (she/her)

Or did you have the same argument when smoking was banned from enclosed public spaces? There is no argument if you want to reduce all risk don’t go out your house , do you know what’s dangerous? Living

There are plenty if laws in place to reduce the risk to others for various reasons, are they all infringing on your rights also?

And there is exemptions to the law of wearing masks for a reason at this cannot just be ignored because some people don't see why everyone can't wear one."

I think most of us know the difference between "is exempt" and "I think a piece of cloth on my face will destroy society"

Manchester (she/her)

"This does annoy me at times. I have an 8 year old with sensory issues and other issues, yet when attending hospital or doctors appointments she will wear a mask (her choice I might add, as she really doesn't have to). If a young child who is otherwise exempt can put one on, what real excuse does a healthy adult have.

If you can do these things then you are not exempt. What some are saying wear masks when all this Covid is over , we are saying when you don’t have to wear a muzzle /face nappy we won’t "

Ok. I think it's a great idea. Look what it's done for flu rates.

Let's save the NHS the hassle in future years and care for each other

If you can do these things then you are not exempt. "

Just because she wears one doesnt mean it doesnt cause her distress to do so. But she will wear it. I also didnt say anyone with exemption should wear one. I said a healthy adult, someone who has no reason not to other than "I just dont want to" .

If you can do these things then you are not exempt. What some are saying wear masks when all this Covid is over , we are saying when you don’t have to wear a muzzle /face nappy we won’t "

I disagree and i am not anti mask and never have been.

I am anti people being bullied, Discriminated against, And ridiculed for not being able to wear one, anyone who can should.

When and if the rules say people don't have to wear one then that's a totally different issue.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

I see anthea Turner is the latest one to jump on the anti mask bandwagon

So on one side you have got toby young,Julia Hartley brewer and anthea Turner

And on the other a multitude of scientists and experts.

Tough one.

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

If you can do these things then you are not exempt. What some are saying wear masks when all this Covid is over , we are saying when you don’t have to wear a muzzle /face nappy we won’t

Let's save the NHS the hassle in future years and care for each other "

I’m not sure it’ll stick around ... however I’d like to think for people who are full of cold but still well enough to nip to their shop it would be common practice. And people not think your nuts!

If you can do these things then you are not exempt.

Just because she wears one doesnt mean it doesnt cause her distress to do so. But she will wear it. I also didnt say anyone with exemption should wear one. I said a healthy adult, someone who has no reason not to other than "I just dont want to" . "

I agree but I don't understand if it causes her such severe distress why would she wear one.

The other problem is a lot of people assume just because somebody looks OK but somehow they are completely healthy adult and that's what I have a problem with.

Manchester (she/her)

"

I’m not sure it’ll stick around ... however I’d like to think for people who are full of cold but still well enough to nip to their shop it would be common practice. And people not think your nuts! "

I don't think it'll remain common, but I'll take the "it's not as weird as it used to be" to keep my masks and wear them in winter in some circumstances. Hopefully ease some disease spread.

If you can do these things then you are not exempt. What some are saying wear masks when all this Covid is over , we are saying when you don’t have to wear a muzzle /face nappy we won’t

I’m not sure it’ll stick around ... however I’d like to think for people who are full of cold but still well enough to nip to their shop it would be common practice. And people not think your nuts! "

I personally think for medical appointments or close contact treatment they are here to stay.

Also I would be much more likely to stay-at-home if I had cold symptoms then I previously would have.

"

I’m not sure it’ll stick around ... however I’d like to think for people who are full of cold but still well enough to nip to their shop it would be common practice. And people not think your nuts!

I don't think it'll remain common, but I'll take the "it's not as weird as it used to be" to keep my masks and wear them in winter in some circumstances. Hopefully ease some disease spread."

Prior to covid if I saw somebody on the tube for example wearing a mask it would really freak me out but I think you are right about it becoming acceptable and normal behaviour.

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

I personally think for medical appointments or close contact treatment they are here to stay.

Also I would be much more likely to stay-at-home if I had cold symptoms then I previously would have."

Yeah definitely! I think back to all the winters in work where we’ve all been full of cold but still in! Bloody minging thinking about it now lol x

Manchester (she/her)

"

I don't think it'll remain common, but I'll take the "it's not as weird as it used to be" to keep my masks and wear them in winter in some circumstances. Hopefully ease some disease spread.

Prior to covid if I saw somebody on the tube for example wearing a mask it would really freak me out but I think you are right about it becoming acceptable and normal behaviour."

Yeah. For me I knew it was common for people from east Asia and didn't think much when they did it, but it would have been weird seeing someone outside those groups wearing one.

I'm going to take the cover of everyone doing it now, see if I can do my bit for flu too.

By *omerset tvTV/TS  over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

A govt health advisor was saying might be good idea to keep wearing masks after covid has gone because it reduces risk of other infections like flu etc

"

I agree but I don't understand if it causes her such severe distress why would she wear one.

The other problem is a lot of people assume just because somebody looks OK but somehow they are completely healthy adult and that's what I have a problem with.

"

Because she has seen first hand what covid is and the long term health impact it can have even when "recovered".

I'm going off the OP, where stating blatant disregard for the sack of just not wanting to wear them. I know with invisible conditions it's not always obvious . As I said it some with exemption medically can/do, those who dont just because they dont like being told what to do, dont really have a real excuse.

^sake

Manchester (she/her)

"

Because she has seen first hand what covid is and the long term health impact it can have even when "recovered".

I'm going off the OP, where stating blatant disregard for the sack of just not wanting to wear them. I know with invisible conditions it's not always obvious . As I said it some with exemption medically can/do, those who dont just because they dont like being told what to do, dont really have a real excuse. "

Yeah, as an adult with sensory issues (probably technically/borderline exempt) the thought of contributing to someone else's suffering overrides my distress.

(This applies to me and me only and is not a statement on what others with similar conditions can or should do)

"

I'm going off the OP, where stating blatant disregard for the sack of just not wanting to wear them. I know with invisible conditions it's not always obvious . As I said it some with exemption medically can/do, those who dont just because they dont like being told what to do, dont really have a real excuse.

Yeah, as an adult with sensory issues (probably technically/borderline exempt) the thought of contributing to someone else's suffering overrides my distress.

(This applies to me and me only and is not a statement on what others with similar conditions can or should do)"

I think I've made it quite clear a few times now that I am direct at those with no exemption have not excuse, when some who are exempt wear them And have in no way said others with exemption should wear them.

"

(This applies to me and me only and is not a statement on what others with similar conditions can or should do)"

Yes we have a responsibility to protect others but the biggest thing any of us could do is keep our distance which is something a lot of people struggle with and don't do regardless of whether they a wearing a face covering.

In fact those that do wear a face covering are those more likely to invade other's space.

I do understand what you are both saying but that kind of adds to the problem for people that cannot where one.

Well if my daughter with sensory issues can then others can and I do understand that wasn't what was meant, however I have seen this used as an excuse to abuse people who have an exemption card on them them.

Manchester (she/her)

"

(This applies to me and me only and is not a statement on what others with similar conditions can or should do)

Yes we have a responsibility to protect others but the biggest thing any of us could do is keep our distance which is something a lot of people struggle with and don't do regardless of whether they a wearing a face covering.

In fact those that do wear a face covering are those more likely to invade other's space.

I do understand what you are both saying but that kind of adds to the problem for people that cannot where one.

Well if my daughter with sensory issues can then others can and I do understand that wasn't what was meant, however I have seen this used as an excuse to abuse people who have an exemption card on them them.

"

I'm not saying that anyone should be abused, I'm not saying anyone with an exemption should be anything more than politely asked, and I'm not saying distance isn't the most important thing.

[Removed by poster at 12/02/21 12:43:33]

"

I'm not saying that anyone should be abused, I'm not saying anyone with an exemption should be anything more than politely asked, and I'm not saying distance isn't the most important thing."

I know and I think essentially the 3 of us are agreeing just with slightly different take on it.

"Masks....wearing/not wearing is the most boring subject ever to be covered 5million times on a forum with the same outcome every single time, some people are for masks some aren't for any more clarification refer to the endless stream of mask related threads using the search option.

But it fails to stop you contributing on them I just love the drama of it "

Yep I get that

"

I know and I think essentially the 3 of us are agreeing just with slightly different take on it."

Lol Agreed

"A govt health advisor was saying might be good idea to keep wearing masks after covid has gone because it reduces risk of other infections like flu etc "

By *igh wide and handsomeMan  over a year ago

Dagenham

Although I wear them because it's not worth the hassle from daily mail readers, I believe they have little to no effect in spreading the virus. If they did we wouldn't be this far into a second lockdown.

[Removed by poster at 12/02/21 23:28:50]

They keep your nose and cheeks warm too, i get through quite a few masks in a day, especially with my job

By *dysseusukMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Who *likes* masks? "

I like them, quite useful for keeping my face warm in this freezing weather. I also invested in a Sooty and a Sweep mask that my 6 yr old son and I wear to the shops which always gets a laugh!!

"But if you were wearing a mask...

Why get so angry?

"

Wearing a mask doesn't protect you from others...

It protects / mitigates others from yourself if you have the virus.

By *ustforfun49Man  over a year ago

chesterfield

I work in a petrol station for a well known supermarket we have been told to ask customers to wear a mask but if they say they are exempt from wearing one don't challenge them.

By *dysseusukMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Let's save the NHS the hassle in future years and care for each other "

Totally agree. Been many times to South east Asia where people wear masks if they have just a cold to stop spreading germs out of consideration for others. I will keep wearing my mask in the winter as I’ve nit even had a cold these months. Anyway I love my masks, they are a fashion accessory now!!!

By *tsonlyfun2000Man  over a year ago

london/kent

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1246118997004824576?s=19

If you want to wear a mask then go ahead but why challenge someone, keep your distance and shouldnt be a problem. Ppl need to mind their own business

By *perfectpair5050Couple  over a year ago

marlbourgh

Can’t really understand why anybody would make a fuss about wearing a mask don’t understand the big deal about it I understand that some people think they’re special and don’t need to wear one most of the time you’re in and out of the shop or garage in 10 minutes what’s the big deal

"I know what you mean, it kind of is a catch 22 thing, it is not easy for anyone to wear the mask, it must be even harder for those working in the shops, but I think that shop workers should get more powers to tell them."

Like a minimum wage shop worker is gonna say anything or have the power. They told us in March and April that masks didn’t do anything. Only reason they’re “mandatory” now, is because some Tory twat got a massive PPE contract and there’s money being made from the sheep that wear them.

"Can’t really understand why anybody would make a fuss about wearing a mask don’t understand the big deal about it I understand that some people think they’re special and don’t need to wear one most of the time you’re in and out of the shop or garage in 10 minutes what’s the big deal"

How many times have you done a weeks shop in 10 minutes?

We shouldn't be popping in and out of shops.

I want to hear more from Cap de'agde couple

marlbourgh

when were we told masks don’t work Facebook maybe even if you went into the shop for an hour is it a big deal wearing the mask I don’t think people are sheep for wearing masks So what you’re saying is NHS workers that wear a mask and a face shield for 12 hours a day All wasting their time

There are plenty if laws in place to reduce the risk to others for various reasons, are they all infringing on your rights also? "

Love this!

By *arialoueWoman  over a year ago

bradford

I think even if you can't wear face masks I think you should have to wear some sort of alternative face covering

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

"when were we told masks don’t work Facebook maybe even if you went into the shop for an hour is it a big deal wearing the mask I don’t think people are sheep for wearing masks So what you’re saying is NHS workers that wear a mask and a face shield for 12 hours a day All wasting their time "

The only reason I can see for a politician to state masks are no good, is because they need those masks elsewhere. PPE became as rare as rocking horse shit when covid kicked off, at the top of the pile of those scrabbling to get their hands on it, at vastly inflated prices, was the government, not just our government either, in the interest of fairness and boris bashing.

Bromsgrove

Well having created the thread I had pretty much forgotten about it until receiving an abusive message of a guy in Wakefield for interfering in everyone’s business

Happy days

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

"Well having created the thread I had pretty much forgotten about it until receiving an abusive message of a guy in Wakefield for interfering in everyone’s business

Happy days "

Out of interest, do you see any solution to this problem?

People without face coverings who cannot be shamed into wearing one, not abusive messages that is...

"Well having created the thread I had pretty much forgotten about it until receiving an abusive message of a guy in Wakefield for interfering in everyone’s business

Happy days

People without face coverings who cannot be shamed into wearing one, not abusive messages that is... "

Crucify them

Whilst the majority of the scientists state that masks can help apparently the latest minutes from the sage meeting notes that the contributions from the fab forums virus section has had no discernible impact on reducing transmission.

marlbourgh

I think some people just have no concern for anybody else apart from themselves when you’re that selfish doesn’t matter how many times you tell them they’re not going to do it they just always come up with some bullshit excuse for not wearing a mask

Bromsgrove

Happy days

People without face coverings who cannot be shamed into wearing one, not abusive messages that is... "

Honestly not really. As I have said to the numerous private messages that have come through as if I am Satan spawn. My issue in this situation is the disregard for others. Given that four people who were essentially one group all chose to enter the shop and select small items rather than reducing the risk to all by only one or possibly two going in.

It is clear from the behaviour of senior American politicians in the capitol building that people will defend their right not to wear them regardless of the possible harm they could do to others.

I know of people with valid exemptions and would not question that despite my own fundamental misgivings about that need. Just think people need to treat each other with respect.x

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"Whilst the majority of the scientists state that masks can help apparently the latest minutes from the sage meeting notes that the contributions from the fab forums virus section has had no discernible impact on reducing transmission."

The bastards, we work hard relying on no research & even less knowledge to formulate half assed opinions & they ignore us.

Manchester (she/her)

I just had a guy yell at me for wearing a mask, so there's that. Apparently I'm not allowed because it's a beautiful day.

It is a beautiful day. It's also my fucking face and mind your own business.

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

The point about 4 people from one group is an excellent one, if we are out as a couple & pop into a shop, one goes in & one waits outside, not difficult. In shops with number restrictions that means another potential customer goes in to spend money whereas I only went in because the person I was with went in, or we go to separate shops & halve the time shopping (or do we double infection risk?).. downside? I have inadvertently started queues & it can be cold... no biggie.

» Add a new message to this topic