FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Easing off Locked Down,,,,

Easing off Locked Down,,,,

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *heblackmac OP   Man  over a year ago

Ladywell, Lewisham.

Government on Easing off Locked Down from 22nd of this month February 2021.

What do you think. Is it too early or is it about time?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

22nd is the announcement. Lockdown won't start easing on that date.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Happy to wait longer especially if it means it’s possibly the last one.

No matter what happens someone will whine.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

No, and that would be too early, IMO, we need more people vaccinated, so there is less likelihood of the NHS being more overwhelmed than they are.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Government on Easing off Locked Down from 22nd of this month February 2021.

What do you think. Is it too early or is it about time?"

News flash, there's going to be no end to Lockdowns or restrictions until Herd immunity is reached through vaccination.

Boris just hasn't got the nerve to tell the public....the truth.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

The earliest date for schools returning is 8 March, at the moment, nothing is going to happen before then

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I'd hope we won't rush it and as much as I am itching to go away on holiday, I'd like to see restrictions to travel stay limited. Although I hope the price of the tests for travel come down a bit as at £200 minimum each way it makes it a little expensive. Although as I normally do 3 day trips I could maybe get one the day I go and it still he valid for my return xx

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

the previous governmental record of ending lockdowns sooner at the behest of their sinister back bench anti-vaxer groups has been met with resulting disaster each time.

"Happy to wait longer especially if it means it’s possibly the last one.

No matter what happens someone will whine. "

What do you mean someone will whine... explain that comment x

Leeds

"Although as I normally do 3 day trips I could maybe get one the day I go and it still he valid for my return xx"

Wouldn't you need to take the test a day or two before you go, to leave time to get the result ?

What do you think. Is it too early or is it about time?"

I'd like to know what the scientists advice on what they recommend. Boris seems to ignore thrm too much

By *eorge JetsonMan  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

I'm genuinely starting to think that this is it.

This is all there is now.

Every turn there's a new reason to lay down restrictions, some that were initiated last summer still haven't been lifted.

Even with supposed falls in cases and deaths the review of easing out of this lockdown is taking a long time to get here and what then? Back to the Tier system? Travel restrictions? For how long?

Surely this isn't all there is now? It HAS to get better soon....?

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Due to earlier mistakes and not acting in time i do think that the Government are holding on to Lockdown until they have no choice but to ease up. If there is sign of insurrection (and it is starting to grow more now) then they will have to ease things to a degree.Although lockdowns do appear to work they are not sustainable and a different strategy will be needed.

The vaccination programme does seem to be the one thing they have got right (in roll out and numbers vaccinated) .

All the government have announced at the moment is that they will make an announcement the week commencing the 22nd outlining the possible roadmap out of Lockdown.

The only thing that has been suggested with an actual date is that the 8th of March is the earliest date for some schools to start returning to normal attendance.

It's all very ambiguous and we have no idea but I really don't think anyone should be expecting much change this side of Easter.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's not happened yet.

Announcement week beginning 22nd Feb.

Nothing is happening before 8th March, a long discussed date for schools.

Easter should be the earliest time for minor easing. It could be the period of hell, the new Christmas 5 days of spreading infection all over the country, coupled with some people wanting 'essential' foreign trips.

We should do little before summer and very gradually. Stupid eat out to spread it about promotions off the cards.

We've still got very high levels of problems in the NHS and community. To rush back will get it bouncing back

What's the rush to end lockdown anyway? Give it another 6 months, not like there will be hundreds of thousands losing their jobs.

Vaccinate another 15 million, then start easing lockdown

Surely we have to wait until the first 4 groups have received their second vaccines?

I suppose it all depends on what the lockdown measures are

Can’t see lockdown for swinging ending before August. At least it will be warm enough for out door fun.

I only caught the tail end of a conversationist on the radio today, but I'm sure someone was saying something about pubs reopening at Easter.

The presenter was saying that Easter is very early this year, and that was far too soon for them to open.

"Can’t see lockdown for swinging ending before August. At least it will be warm enough for out door fun."

For swinging?

It won't be this year.

"Surely we have to wait until the first 4 groups have received their second vaccines?"

To be honest if we want to be effective we have to wait for the 1st 6 groups to have had their 1st and 2nd vaccine.

For example diabetics are in group 6 and people with a bmi over 40 but they currently make up about 50% of all people in hospital with Covid.

"I only caught the tail end of a conversationist on the radio today, but I'm sure someone was saying something about pubs reopening at Easter.

The presenter was saying that Easter is very early this year, and that was far too soon for them to open."

I think I was listening to the same thing plus it has been reported in some newspapers this morning there is a suggestion that pubs could start opening at Easter but it will only be for outside service.

"Surely we have to wait until the first 4 groups have received their second vaccines?

To be honest if we want to be effective we have to wait for the 1st 6 groups to have had their 1st and 2nd vaccine.

For example diabetics are in group 6 and people with a bmi over 40 but they currently make up about 50% of all people in hospital with Covid. "

Yep your right

This lockdown cant be rushed out of if we want it to be the last one.

"I only caught the tail end of a conversationist on the radio today, but I'm sure someone was saying something about pubs reopening at Easter.

The presenter was saying that Easter is very early this year, and that was far too soon for them to open.

I think I was listening to the same thing plus it has been reported in some newspapers this morning there is a suggestion that pubs could start opening at Easter but it will only be for outside service."

Ah ok, that makes more sense.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

I’m sure I saw a headline on one of the daily papers that pubs to reopen in April. A hallucination perhaps?

"Surely we have to wait until the first 4 groups have received their second vaccines?

For example diabetics are in group 6 and people with a bmi over 40 but they currently make up about 50% of all people in hospital with Covid.

Yep your right

This lockdown cant be rushed out of if we want it to be the last one."

Absolutely and even though I am sick to the back teeth of this lockdown I would rather stay a little bit longer and then when we do open up we can stay opened up.

Obviously they will probably be small clusters and maybe 1 or 2 week very local circuit breaker lockdowns like they do in Australia but I really do think this is our time to get a proper grip on this and keep it that way.

"I’m sure I saw a headline on one of the daily papers that pubs to reopen in April. A hallucination perhaps? "

It's on the headline of the Sun newspaper but when you actually read the article it is proposed that only be for outside service.

P.S I don't read the Sun but my partner buys it for the sport apparently.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

-------

News flash, there's going to be no end to Lockdowns or restrictions until Herd immunity is reached through vaccination.

"

I'm sure you'll be glad when the theatres open again, a comedian like you should definitely be in stage

Cal

ill be glad when the theatres open.. my job

d

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"ill be glad when the theatres open.. my job

d"

I really feel for you. As a drummer in a couple of bands, I am really missing making music with others... and it is so much harder for those of you who rely on it for an income too.

Cal x

"ill be glad when the theatres open.. my job

d"

There is a lot hoping the theatres are opening up again to get their ops.

Not belittle your theatres though as that must be bad too

By *it-of-AlrightMan  over a year ago

South west

Makes no sense to me, they're estimating people in their 50's will be vaccinated by May? So how can it now be ok to relax the lockdown?

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

If they re open pub's in time for Easter it will be a disaster as everyone will just go mad and we will be back to square one come may.

We as a nation have been on the whole ( apart from a few hundred thousand idiots) very patient and we just have to stick it out a little longer.

We are proceeding well regards vacation and I'm certain that once the spread has been suppressed enough to control we can all get back to a slightly altered but as normal a life as possible.

We personally just want to be able to cuddle our kid's and grandkids.

Meet friends and get back to the gym.

Swinging and other luxuries such as holidays abroad can wait for a while yet.

Feel I’m in the minority but in my opinion lockdown should already be easing. Cases are lower then dec (when we were open to a degree) and the r number is lowest since July (when we were very open).

The most high risk (contributing to something like 88% of deaths) are now vaccinated and it’s proven the vaccine also effects transmission heavily.

We can’t remain in lockdiwn forever and we have to accept that the economy and people’s livelihoods do carry cost and we need to start prioritising these now.

"Feel I’m in the minority but in my opinion lockdown should already be easing. Cases are lower then dec (when we were open to a degree) and the r number is lowest since July (when we were very open).

The most high risk (contributing to something like 88% of deaths) are now vaccinated and it’s proven the vaccine also effects transmission heavily.

We can’t remain in lockdiwn forever and we have to accept that the economy and people’s livelihoods do carry cost and we need to start prioritising these now."

I totally understand where you are coming from however we have been here before where we have opened up when cases have fallen and just found ourselves back at square one.

We have hope this time which we didn't with the last 2 lockdowns which is the vaccine so I think we all just need to hold on a little bit longer but things will return to some normal soon I'm sure.

"Feel I’m in the minority but in my opinion lockdown should already be easing. Cases are lower then dec (when we were open to a degree) and the r number is lowest since July (when we were very open).

We can’t remain in lockdiwn forever and we have to accept that the economy and people’s livelihoods do carry cost and we need to start prioritising these now.

I totally understand where you are coming from however we have been here before where we have opened up when cases have fallen and just found ourselves back at square one.

We have hope this time which we didn't with the last 2 lockdowns which is the vaccine so I think we all just need to hold on a little bit longer but things will return to some normal soon I'm sure. "

I’ve never really supported lockdowns, I’m a big believer the costs are going to massively outweigh the gains. However, the vaccine is the big difference maker. We must reopen now, as the most effected are now theoretically safe.

On a mooch

We can’t remain in lockdiwn forever and we have to accept that the economy and people’s livelihoods do carry cost and we need to start prioritising these now."

We may just be level or slightly lower than cases in December, but only just. Comparing it to July, personally I think is mute as the strain running rampant through the UK is the Kent one, which is more infectious.

All those that need to be vaccinated haven’t been, they’ve only just started on group 6

There is a way to go yet and if we rush it, we will be right back where we started. Time to learn from previous mistakes

We may just be level or slightly lower than cases in December, but only just. Comparing it to July, personally I think is mute as the strain running rampant through the UK is the Kent one, which is more infectious.

All those that need to be vaccinated haven’t been, they’ve only just started on group 6

There is a way to go yet and if we rush it, we will be right back where we started. Time to learn from previous mistakes "

I think there’s plenty of reason to rush it. While we wait businesses close down, people’s savings disappear and a whole host of other issues arise. Yes deaths have been high, but the biggest contributing group, by a long way, is now safe.

There is a way to go yet and if we rush it, we will be right back where we started. Time to learn from previous mistakes

I think there’s plenty of reason to rush it. While we wait businesses close down, people’s savings disappear and a whole host of other issues arise. Yes deaths have been high, but the biggest contributing group, by a long way, is now safe."

No they are not safe at all because the vast majority have only had their 1st vaccine and group 6 includes people with diabetes and the BMI over 40.

They currently make up over 50% of people currently being treated in hospital for covid and they have only just started group 6 in some areas.

If we rush now we could potentially waste all the effort and hard work we have put in over the last 3 months.

There is a way to go yet and if we rush it, we will be right back where we started. Time to learn from previous mistakes "

And dont forget the south African variant that is in 3 totally different areas of England. So far there seems issues if the current vaccines will work with this. People calling to open up things now need to stop and take a breath or two.

On a mooch

I think there’s plenty of reason to rush it. While we wait businesses close down, people’s savings disappear and a whole host of other issues arise. Yes deaths have been high, but the biggest contributing group, by a long way, is now safe."

We’ll have to agree to disagree on your last sentence.

As for the first part, yes businesses are finding, people are out of work (I’m one of them) but surely it’s better to come out of this and the businesses remain open with no more lockdowns than rush back out there and the cases rise again. As been said many a time, it’s not just deaths that need to be considered, it’s all cases and those that take up space in the hospitals and unfortunately they aren’t all in the ‘biggest contributing’ group, as you put it, but more younger individuals.

I’d rather wait a couple of months, get more things in place and come out of this without having to go back into lockdown, if we can help it.

couple, us we him her.

Because it's clearly been shown that a large amount of the population can't act like civilised humans and follow the instructions and guidance.

Lockdown was put in place for a few reasons one of them being people can't be bothered or trusted .

Look at last year.

Hundreds of thousands of people descending on beaches and beauty spot's.

Pubs ignored guidance people having parties and ignoring advice and guidance.

Christmas was a disaster but it could have been worse if they had carried on as planned.

Let's put this into perspective.

This time last year the news was full of this unknown virus and we where a few weeks away from the first recorded death of a chap in Haywards heath.

If you had been able to tell everyone that 12months later we would have had a death toll of over 100,000 I think we would have all agreed to do whatever it takes for however long it takes to prevent this.

Sadly we have become desensitised to the death's now and complacent, which is understandable to a certain degree but as I said previously

We have done what's been asked ( most of us anyway) and we just need to be wait it out a bit longer.

So no I don't think restrictions should be eased yet.

Let's be honest other than pub's and restaurants being shut and not being able to go to Primark what restrictions are actually in place that affect our "normal" day to day lives ?

All schools are open at a reduced capacity.

Many millions are working as normal with millions more working successfully from home thousands on furlough and yes very sadly some out of work I genuinely feel for those people.

But it will all be for nought if we steam back into things giving in to the pressure of negative people who have a separate political agenda against the government and just want to see the world burn and in chaos.

Lockdowns work that's a fact.

Coming out too early leads to further lockdown and that is what wrecks the economy. It was never lives verse livelihoods... it was always lives verse more lives lost.

I think there’s plenty of reason to rush it. While we wait businesses close down, people’s savings disappear and a whole host of other issues arise. Yes deaths have been high, but the biggest contributing group, by a long way, is now safe.

As for the first part, yes businesses are finding, people are out of work (I’m one of them) but surely it’s better to come out of this and the businesses remain open with no more lockdowns than rush back out there and the cases rise again. As been said many a time, it’s not just deaths that need to be considered, it’s all cases and those that take up space in the hospitals and unfortunately they aren’t all in the ‘biggest contributing’ group, as you put it, but more younger individuals.

I’d rather wait a couple of months, get more things in place and come out of this without having to go back into lockdown, if we can help it. "

No because regardless of how quick or slow we reopen this must be the last lockdown. We cannot as a nation afford to keep repeating this process.

Not early enough if you ask me the sooner we get rid of furlough and everyone gets back to work in a safe mannor the better I'm not looking forward to the tax increases next year.

On a mooch

I’d rather wait a couple of months, get more things in place and come out of this without having to go back into lockdown, if we can help it.

No because regardless of how quick or slow we reopen this must be the last lockdown. We cannot as a nation afford to keep repeating this process. "

We can’t keep repeating it, however if we rush it that is exactly what we will end up doing.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

I'd like to know what the scientists advice on what they recommend. Boris seems to ignore thrm too much "

well some of the scientists, want some restrictions to remain for quite, some time ie, masks, and social distancing. Normality as, we, knew it is a long way off

couple, us we him her.

"Not early enough if you ask me the sooner we get rid of furlough and everyone gets back to work in a safe mannor the better I'm not looking forward to the tax increases next year. "

But people won't be working in a safe manner, you will have many companies that will put profit before safety they will make big empty gestures but office's will soon be crammed full busses and trains full.

Sadly yes I think tax increases are on the card's but if the furlough scheme hadn't been brought in I really can't imagine what state we would be in now.

But we have to come together as a nation, work as a nation and contribute as a nation.

For the good of those in a less fortunate position than the majority.

Is an extra tenner a week out of your wages really going to make that much difference?

I do think that the companies that have and will make profit from the pandemic should be taxed at a higher rate I'm talking big pharma mostly and Amazon ( assuming they pay any taxes)

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

According to the I newspaper, the plan would begin with the schools opening on 8th March. If no significant rise in the R rate, the non essential shops to be open towards the end of March. Again, if no significant rises hospitality businesses, including hotels, restaurants and pubs could open their doors again from the Easter weekend.

Many scientists are saying this is too soon, and advising caution. However, back benchers are pushing for this.

"Not early enough if you ask me the sooner we get rid of furlough and everyone gets back to work in a safe mannor the better I'm not looking forward to the tax increases next year.

But people won't be working in a safe manner, you will have many companies that will put profit before safety they will make big empty gestures but office's will soon be crammed full busses and trains full.

Sadly yes I think tax increases are on the card's but if the furlough scheme hadn't been brought in I really can't imagine what state we would be in now.

But we have to come together as a nation, work as a nation and contribute as a nation.

Is an extra tenner a week out of your wages really going to make that much difference?

I do think that the companies that have and will make profit from the pandemic should be taxed at a higher rate I'm talking big pharma mostly and Amazon ( assuming they pay any taxes)"

and those companies that don't comply should face huge fines but having half the country not at work is clearly not working as far as stopping the spread but is doing a fine job of sending the country in to a huge financial disaster I have worked all the way through all the lock downs and in a quite safe manner done somewhere around 30 thousand miles since March working on probably 20 different building sites all without a problem

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

"Not early enough if you ask me the sooner we get rid of furlough and everyone gets back to work in a safe mannor the better I'm not looking forward to the tax increases next year.

I do think that the companies that have and will make profit from the pandemic should be taxed at a higher rate I'm talking big pharma mostly and Amazon ( assuming they pay any taxes) and those companies that don't comply should face huge fines but having half the country not at work is clearly not working as far as stopping the spread but is doing a fine job of sending the country in to a huge financial disaster I have worked all the way through all the lock downs and in a quite safe manner done somewhere around 30 thousand miles since March working on probably 20 different building sites all without a problem"

Lol and do you really think the likes of kier or other big construction names are going to tell you the truth had their been a brake out on site.

By *rthangMan  over a year ago

hebden bridge

I'm a care worker and have been lucky enough to have had two vaccination jabs. Im still approaching the world with caution. I would be happy to stay in lockdown for longer. Everytime i go out i see people abusing the rules, i know friends colleague's that don't take it seriously, i still see people on facebook that don't even believe the virus exsists

I do think that the companies that have and will make profit from the pandemic should be taxed at a higher rate I'm talking big pharma mostly and Amazon ( assuming they pay any taxes) and those companies that don't comply should face huge fines but having half the country not at work is clearly not working as far as stopping the spread but is doing a fine job of sending the country in to a huge financial disaster I have worked all the way through all the lock downs and in a quite safe manner done somewhere around 30 thousand miles since March working on probably 20 different building sites all without a problem

Lol and do you really think the likes of kier or other big construction names are going to tell you the truth had their been a brake out on site.

"

actualy went to a kier site in Leicester over the summer and I was very surprised and impressed with how organised and strict they were with social distancing ect I expected them to be crap.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

[Removed by poster at 13/02/21 17:15:20]

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"

Why because the precious folk can't take being told the truth?

We wouldn't be locked down now if more people had followed the advice given before.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"22nd is the announcement. Lockdown won't start easing on that date. "
Will not open pubs etc till at least April so do not get exited

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

Because it's clearly been shown that a large amount of the population can't act like civilised humans and follow the instructions and guidance.

Lockdown was put in place for a few reasons one of them being people can't be bothered or trusted .

Look at last year.

Hundreds of thousands of people descending on beaches and beauty spot's.

Pubs ignored guidance people having parties and ignoring advice and guidance.

Christmas was a disaster but it could have been worse if they had carried on as planned.

Let's put this into perspective.

This time last year the news was full of this unknown virus and we where a few weeks away from the first recorded death of a chap in Haywards heath.

If you had been able to tell everyone that 12months later we would have had a death toll of over 100,000 I think we would have all agreed to do whatever it takes for however long it takes to prevent this.

Sadly we have become desensitised to the death's now and complacent, which is understandable to a certain degree but as I said previously

We have done what's been asked ( most of us anyway) and we just need to be wait it out a bit longer.

So no I don't think restrictions should be eased yet.

Let's be honest other than pub's and restaurants being shut and not being able to go to Primark what restrictions are actually in place that affect our "normal" day to day lives ?

All schools are open at a reduced capacity.

Many millions are working as normal with millions more working successfully from home thousands on furlough and yes very sadly some out of work I genuinely feel for those people.

But it will all be for nought if we steam back into things giving in to the pressure of negative people who have a separate political agenda against the government and just want to see the world burn and in chaos."

By *andR510Couple  over a year ago

St Neots/Wisbech

We have hope this time which we didn't with the last 2 lockdowns which is the vaccine so I think we all just need to hold on a little bit longer but things will return to some normal soon I'm sure. "

One small point you failed to address though. The most vulnerable have received the jab, and even those who have only had one so far now have a 70% chance of survival. The risk of illness and death has been significantly reduced, plus the ending of seasonality will also reduce infections.

It's now time to start the country back up and for those who still feel at risk to protect themselves.

By *aralewisCouple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

Yes they should ease it

By that time the most vulnerable will be Vaccinated hospitals emissions are down R rate dropping

I’m sure they was saying once R rate went under one we could Open

I think enough business and people with mental health problems loneliness

Business will go under the Economy will crash

Kids will suffer when where all dead and buried and will be paying for this debt for another 80 years

"Yes they should ease it

By that time the most vulnerable will be Vaccinated hospitals emissions are down R rate dropping

I’m sure they was saying once R rate went under one we could Open

I think enough business and people with mental health problems loneliness

Business will go under the Economy will crash

Kids will suffer when where all dead and buried and will be paying for this debt for another 80 years

"

I agree , I think it’s about time we start thinking on moving forward. The most vulnerable have got their dose or double dose, R rate is now between 0.7-0.9 this is not something we will be able to have down to 0 anyway. As people still are doing some bits whether for work or some that are not following lockdown down to the T.

As vaccinations keep happening, I think it’s about time we get things moving

We have hope this time which we didn't with the last 2 lockdowns which is the vaccine so I think we all just need to hold on a little bit longer but things will return to some normal soon I'm sure.

One small point you failed to address though. The most vulnerable have received the jab, and even those who have only had one so far now have a 70% chance of survival. The risk of illness and death has been significantly reduced, plus the ending of seasonality will also reduce infections.

It's now time to start the country back up and for those who still feel at risk to protect themselves. "

I believe the protection rate is higher than that, even after only one shot. From memory it was in the high 80% range. The second shot adds a small amount of extra protection but seems to be more about making it last longer.

By *asIsaCouple  over a year ago

harrow

"Can’t see lockdown for swinging ending before August. At least it will be warm enough for out door fun."

That depends on the end of social distancing restrictions, which is highly unlikely in 2021

By *otsussexMan  over a year ago

sussex/hants border

Refreshing to hear so many sensible folk here. Non believers- come and gave a chat with my Dr daughter who’s been frontline A&E for the past year. (She’s even lost colleagues to covid)

Sadly Brits are non compliant and responsible for the high numbers. Imagine if Boris had put the army in the streets and insisted on document permission travel only like much of Europe-there would have been anarchy.

In typical Brit fashion as soon as restrictions ease the next thought will be foreign travel and moaning about UK re-entry regulations. (That’s if countries will have us) Travel insurance will not be possible if your not vaccinated.

Personally, I’m not willing to even think about spending a single penny on foreign travel unless I can totally relax and don’t even have to think covid.

30y+ In aviation & travel tells me the majority won’t be affording flights after all this when airlines attempt to really re-coup and maximise on reduced capacity, it’s going to get serious ££££s

The UK is hurting currently but this lockdowns been different, the roads are almost as busy with commuters so business somewhere is ticking over.

It’s not over by a long way sadly in reality

"

He hasn't got the nerve or he knows if he tells people it'll be a year they will disobey. I believe it's the latter.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

They will continue to control us for years. They have seen people can be scared into towing the line.

He hasn't got the nerve or he knows if he tells people it'll be a year they will disobey. I believe it's the latter."

100% it’s the latter. Figures for disobedience are growing week on week. The longer lockdown drags on, the more and more people will ignore it. They’ve already said we’re never going to get rid of covid so people will give up and want their social life back.

By *ch WellMan  over a year ago

Scotland

He hasn't got the nerve or he knows if he tells people it'll be a year they will disobey. I believe it's the latter.

100% it’s the latter. Figures for disobedience are growing week on week. The longer lockdown drags on, the more and more people will ignore it. They’ve already said we’re never going to get rid of covid so people will give up and want their social life back."

You'd think so but there still seems to be a sizeable amount of the population if social media is anything to go by who would be quite prepared to lockdown for ever more. The fear factor has really got to them. I thought social unrest would've happened by now. I suspect though we'd all meekly accept whatever we were ordered to do.

London

He hasn't got the nerve or he knows if he tells people it'll be a year they will disobey. I believe it's the latter."

Yes I believe it’s the latter. The national lockdown may be lifted April - May. But some other restrictions will still be in place for a long time.

By *moothdickMan  over a year ago

stoke

Sooner the better, this one as been a farce ... I’m not a covid idiot or anti lockdown.. first one was done with real direction and clear instructions.. which the vast majority can understand... this one as been done with to much total confusion and confusion creates anarchy

By *andR510Couple  over a year ago

St Neots/Wisbech

"Refreshing to hear so many sensible folk here. Non believers- come and gave a chat with my Dr daughter who’s been frontline A&E for the past year. (She’s even lost colleagues to covid)

Sadly Brits are non compliant and responsible for the high numbers. Imagine if Boris had put the army in the streets and insisted on document permission travel only like much of Europe-there would have been anarchy.

In typical Brit fashion as soon as restrictions ease the next thought will be foreign travel and moaning about UK re-entry regulations. (That’s if countries will have us) Travel insurance will not be possible if your not vaccinated.

Personally, I’m not willing to even think about spending a single penny on foreign travel unless I can totally relax and don’t even have to think covid.

30y+ In aviation & travel tells me the majority won’t be affording flights after all this when airlines attempt to really re-coup and maximise on reduced capacity, it’s going to get serious ££££s

The UK is hurting currently but this lockdowns been different, the roads are almost as busy with commuters so business somewhere is ticking over.

"

This isn't about non believers, this is about the realism of the vast majority now being protected through vaccines.

I'm sure your Dr daughter will help you understand that the bulk of this crisis has been to reduce the amount of deaths and stress on the NHS, and how the vulnerable are now at a much better point of mortality survival. She may even explain that this virus is also endemic, and the vaccine won't prevent transmission, but will enable life to return back to normal sooner rather than later.

However, if you are one of those who who still believe that Neil Ferguson and co are infallible and beyond reproach with their data, then please disregard this post and return back to the BBC for information.

travel restrictions within our country need to be lifted... this is from someone who travels on a train for two hours on a train to see my kids (which im allowed to do) but some people would take issue with im sure

d

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"Refreshing to hear so many sensible folk here. Non believers- come and gave a chat with my Dr daughter who’s been frontline A&E for the past year. (She’s even lost colleagues to covid)

"

You spoke too soon.

"the previous governmental record of ending lockdowns sooner at the behest of their sinister back bench anti-vaxer groups has been met with resulting disaster each time."

Boris has committed himself too by saying this is the last lockdown.. Oh dear

London

"the previous governmental record of ending lockdowns sooner at the behest of their sinister back bench anti-vaxer groups has been met with resulting disaster each time.

Boris has committed himself too by saying this is the last lockdown.. Oh dear "

But he also said that promise was not a cast iron guarantee.

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

Classic psychological tactic a la Johnson. Build up the hopes of the donkey. Then whack the donkey over the head with the stick. I would be more worried about possible driving restrictions which I have heard mentioned.

"the previous governmental record of ending lockdowns sooner at the behest of their sinister back bench anti-vaxer groups has been met with resulting disaster each time.

But he also said that promise was not a cast iron guarantee."

Of course, how can anybody still believe in Boris’s words? He literally has been a constant u turn and lie ....

Leeds

Boris wants to avoid "reverse ferret"

If the people go out and start spreading it again then we will be locked down again.

I used to think it was obvious but clearly not..

Leeds

"

If the people go out and start spreading it again then we will be locked down again.

I used to think it was obvious but clearly not.. "

People spreading it by going back to school and University like they were told to and Dining Out To Help Out ?

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

Here comes the spiral ..... schools back, summer holidays, school in September, infections up in time for winter. Just hope the vaccine stops the severity this year.

"

I used to think it was obvious but clearly not..

People spreading it by going back to school and University like they were told to and Dining Out To Help Out ?"

On a mooch

Which he was right to do, no one wants lockdown but no one can guarantee there won’t be.

The devil will be in the detail. No matter what's opening up and when, I will make my own decision on my own safety whatever the Govt say. If I don't thing something is safe for me then I'm not going to do it even if it's allowed.

[Removed by poster at 16/02/21 09:47:49]

Virus is mutating too quickly, its a case of having to open things up regardless.

London

Which he was right to do, no one wants lockdown but no one can guarantee there won’t be. "

That’s true . I think that’s why Boris is more careful with his words this time.

On a mooch

Which he was right to do, no one wants lockdown but no one can guarantee there won’t be.

That’s true . I think that’s why Boris is more careful with his words this time. "

He’s learning

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

-------

I'm sure you'll be glad when the theatres open again, a comedian like you should definitely be in stage

Cal"

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

That’s true . I think that’s why Boris is more careful with his words this time.

He’s learning "

As much as I enjoy slating Boris, if people are expecting set dates for anything to end or be relaxed they are expecting him to be a fortune teller, or liar. He's pretty adept at one of those things, if you ignore that he constantly gets found out.

Once we enter lock down it has to go on the numbers not the time, as much as we'd all love to know when.

It's like the half the country sat in the back seat of a car asking their parents are we there yet...

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

He’s learning

As much as I enjoy slating Boris, if people are expecting set dates for anything to end or be relaxed they are expecting him to be a fortune teller, or liar. He's pretty adept at one of those things, if you ignore that he constantly gets found out.

Once we enter lock down it has to go on the numbers not the time, as much as we'd all love to know when.

It's like the half the country sat in the back seat of a car asking their parents are we there yet... "

Totally agree. These questions of when is this going to happen, when that is going to happen are ridiculously pointless. And trying to answer those questions early is one of the things that got us into the mess.

"

It's like the half the country sat in the back seat of a car asking their parents are we there yet...

Totally agree. These questions of when is this going to happen, when that is going to happen are ridiculously pointless. And trying to answer those questions early is one of the things that got us into the mess. "

I agree, the other one that really annoys me is when the new programs keep saying "The government is coming under increased pressure to do this, that or the other". What increased pressure and from who? Certainly not from Joe Public because we're not officially asked anywhere. The increased pressure is mainly dickhead politicians concerned their shareholder wallets are a bit thinner.

London

He’s learning

Totally agree. These questions of when is this going to happen, when that is going to happen are ridiculously pointless. And trying to answer those questions early is one of the things that got us into the mess. "

“.... These questions of when is this going to happen, when that is going to happen.......and trying to answer those questions......”

——————————

That’s true.

The answer to those questions will depend on several factors rather than just one particular thing. So without a crystal ball it’s hard to predict specific dates.

It will come down to targets being set, and then action taken when those targets are achieved.

On a mooch

He’s learning

It's like the half the country sat in the back seat of a car asking their parents are we there yet... "

Precisely this

London

"

Totally agree. These questions of when is this going to happen, when that is going to happen are ridiculously pointless. And trying to answer those questions early is one of the things that got us into the mess.

I agree, the other one that really annoys me is when the new programs keep saying "The government is coming under increased pressure to do this, that or the other". What increased pressure and from who? Certainly not from Joe Public because we're not officially asked anywhere. The increased pressure is mainly dickhead politicians concerned their shareholder wallets are a bit thinner."

“...... The increased pressure is mainly dickhead politicians.....”

———————————-

True, that’s where the pressure is coming from. Interestingly those politicians will be nowhere to be found if things go wrong again. They’ll blame it all on Boris.

I hope Boris does what is right this time and not give in to pressure.

He’s learning

"

Boris has committed himself too by saying this is the last lockdown.. Oh dear "

When I heard him say this I did wonder what his plan is going to be when restrictions are lifted and cases are on the rise again.

No point saying 'oh well, all the over 50s and vunerable will be vaccinated by then' because they won't. There are over 1.7 million people in this country who stay off the radar for various reasons. They won't be vaccinated. Then there are those who won't want to have the vaccine.

If course there will be another lockdown!

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

I agree, the other one that really annoys me is when the new programs keep saying "The government is coming under increased pressure to do this, that or the other". What increased pressure and from who? Certainly not from Joe Public because we're not officially asked anywhere. The increased pressure is mainly dickhead politicians concerned their shareholder wallets are a bit thinner."

And he should tell the dickhead politicians to get lost. Their ideas have clearly worked so well before, they've had their chances.

"

When I heard him say this I did wonder what his plan is going to be when restrictions are lifted and cases are on the rise again.

No point saying 'oh well, all the over 50s and vunerable will be vaccinated by then' because they won't. There are over 1.7 million people in this country who stay off the radar for various reasons. They won't be vaccinated. Then there are those who won't want to have the vaccine.

If course there will be another lockdown!"

All over 50’s vaccinated should ease pressure on the nhs significantly. Yes there will still be cases and deaths but they will be at a level that the nhs can handle, so the country can operate as normal.

Also having that many people vaccinated will drive down a significant number of cases due to reduced levels of transmission. Overall the numbers will be low enough to open. The aim is not 0 deaths and never will be.

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"

If course there will be another lockdown!

All over 50’s vaccinated should ease pressure on the nhs significantly. Yes there will still be cases and deaths but they will be at a level that the nhs can handle, so the country can operate as normal.

Also having that many people vaccinated will drive down a significant number of cases due to reduced levels of transmission. Overall the numbers will be low enough to open. The aim is not 0 deaths and never will be."

I agree the number of cases shouldcbe lower but also the number of nhs staff in work and vacinated will be a lot higher so not so much pressure on them. I do howerver think unless all care workers are vaccinated the elderly and care home residents will still be at more risk. In the nhs there are certain jabs you have to get for safety for yourself and others i think the covid jab should be made one of them

» Add a new message to this topic