Leeds

Guinea is dealing with a epidemic after three deaths were registered

Apparently Covid is no where near as contagious and mortal as this beast

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *addyBabygirl2020Couple  over a year ago

norwich

"Guinea is dealing with a epidemic after three deaths were registered

Apparently Covid is no where near as contagious and mortal as this beast "

The good thing about Ebola is it kills very quickly.

Not good if you catch it but good for the wider population as it's easy to contain.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I'm confident if Ebola was doing the rounds here, people would suddenly find it in them to follow the rules. The lockdown required to stem the last major Ebola outbreak makes ours look like a joke.

Ebola is exceptionally infectious and causes massive internal bleeding, diarrhoea and the person dies of dehydration or multiple organ failure. It's a fucking grim way to die.

The good news is that vaccines have been developed and are in the process of being rolled out.

Ebola has a mortality rate from about 45% up to 90-odd percent, depending on the strain etc.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

There have been outbreaks of Ebola in mainly African countries over the last few years.

Thankfully they normally contain them very quickly.

By *atBottomGirlsWoman  over a year ago

St Austell-ish

Covid is much more contagious, in that it's airborne. Ebola is confined to spread by direct contact with any body fluids, which means it's overall harder to catch if you avoid people and bodies. It also kills rapidly, which is not in the virus's best interest (but "lucky" for us).

Health centers around the world are constantly on the lookout for new and emerging diseases--covid didn't begin as an easily transmissible disease that spreads from human to human.

Once diseases are found and isolated, they are studied to watch how quickly they mutate and potentially become transmissible.

Not saying Ebola itself, but similar viruses can quickly mutate from an animal disease to a human disease. In general, most are not of serious concern (ie, worldwide pandemic status) until they reach the ability to pass between humans by airborne means.

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

Not good if you catch it but good for the wider population as it's easy to contain."

There is no “good thing” about Ebola.

By *havennaturistsCouple  over a year ago

Banff

Not good if you catch it but good for the wider population as it's easy to contain.

There is no “good thing” about Ebola. "

Nor Malaria, but because that isnt a problem for the wealthy Western world, no one cares much.

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

Nor Malaria, but because that isnt a problem for the wealthy Western world, no one cares much."

True

North West

Nor Malaria, but because that isnt a problem for the wealthy Western world, no one cares much."

Malaria is a bit different, being vector borne and so eradication isn't straightforward. However I agree, research isn't adequately funded for diseases primarily of the third world.

I wrote an essay at uni (a long time ago!) about African trypanosomiasis and the fact it wasn't being addressed adequately.

By *igh wide and handsomeMan  over a year ago

Dagenham

Ebola can fuck right off.

North West

"Ebola can fuck right off."

I don't think it works like that....

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Nor Malaria, but because that isnt a problem for the wealthy Western world, no one cares much.

Malaria is a bit different, being vector borne and so eradication isn't straightforward. However I agree, research isn't adequately funded for diseases primarily of the third world.

I wrote an essay at uni (a long time ago!) about African trypanosomiasis and the fact it wasn't being addressed adequately."

And nobody listened presumably..

Bit like on here.. I wonder why ?

North West

I wrote an essay at uni (a long time ago!) about African trypanosomiasis and the fact it wasn't being addressed adequately.

Bit like on here.. I wonder why ?"

My second year undergrad essay? I think the lecturer who set it read it quite thoroughly. Second year undergrad essays don't usually change international attitudes on the funding of ignored diseases, no.

Read about African trypanosomiasis and you decide if you think more money should be spent on dealing with it, Tom. It involves the tsetse fly...

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Its not called 'the slate wiper' for nothing.

Chelmsford

My second year undergrad essay? I think the lecturer who set it read it quite thoroughly. Second year undergrad essays don't usually change international attitudes on the funding of ignored diseases, no.

Read about African trypanosomiasis and you decide if you think more money should be spent on dealing with it, Tom. It involves the tsetse fly..."

And as I have asked previously.. what grade did you get..

North West

Read about African trypanosomiasis and you decide if you think more money should be spent on dealing with it, Tom. It involves the tsetse fly...

And as I have asked previously.. what grade did you get.. "

For my degree? First class with honours, not that it's in any way relevant to anything, Tom. I think the essay on sleeping sickness got a 75%, the paper copy is in my archives somewhere, along with all my paper notes and some of my textbooks. It's quaint to see the little Power Rangers pictures that my son sketched around the edges while he sat in lectures with me sometimes and we still have the kids book my parasitology lecturer gave us (Dr Dog). Those were the days.....

North West

Congratulations Tom, I'm sure your degree is in something suitably mind bending. No, my studying did not stop there, but my educational background has sweet FA to do with this forum. I'm not about to post my CV here, thanks

Chelmsford

Hope it goes as well as it can.. curious why you mentioned that..

North West

"Hope it goes as well as it can.. curious why you mentioned that.. "

Because it might give you an insight into my current state of mind, Tom, if you give any shits at all.

By *igh wide and handsomeMan  over a year ago

Dagenham

"Ebola can fuck right off.

I don't think it works like that...."

Damn, I wondered why I didn't get asked on the sage panel.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Ebola can fuck right off.

I don't think it works like that....

Damn, I wondered why I didn't get asked on the sage panel."

Diseases would work very differently if I were in charge, too

» Add a new message to this topic