FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Working from home

Working from home

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ove2pleaseseuk OP   Man  over a year ago

Hastings

How meany are now working from home?

And do you think you will ever go back in to the office full time?

Or will working from home be the new normal

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I bloody hope so. Its really hard to do a front facing role when you have no face to face contact and your clients have a habit of lying to you.

By *nmgCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

I've been working from home since last March. The company I work for has gone as far as providing office furniture, monitors etc for people and changed it's flexible working policy.

Personally, I seriously doubt I will go back to working full time from the office, though I doubt I'll be able to avoid regular visits (mores the pity!)

By *lackCherry...Woman  over a year ago

North East

I've been working at home since last March and I hate it. They're saying we will get back in the office at some point, but that working from home will still be an option

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think it will be a mixture of both. I’ve been WFH since lockdown 1. I miss the banter, and the cat always makes excuses when it’s his tea round

By *nmgCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

"I've been working at home since last March and I hate it. "

Yep, working from home definitely puts people into 1 of 2 defined groups..... Them what like it, and them what don't!

"I think it will be a mixture of both. I’ve been WFH since lockdown 1. I miss the banter, and the cat always makes excuses when it’s his tea round "

I'm working from home as much as I can because people at work don't seem to understand what social distancing means. I hated it to start with but I've got a good routine and enjoy it now.

Hoping to continue at least half home and half office.

"I've been working at home since last March and I hate it.

Yep, working from home definitely puts people into 1 of 2 defined groups..... Them what like it, and them what don't!"

i usually find its folk with kids and / or a long commute that love it ... easier schools runs , less childcare cost , less commute time and cost ... all positives

for people like me i lived walking distance from the office so no cost saving and minimal time , ive no kids so no cost or convenience there , its really isolating and i end up working twice as long because i am picking up slack for those on reduced hours for childcare requirements and because its hard to draw a boundary between work and home life when its just me at home and just me at work and its all under the same roof - i dont have anything dragging me away at finish time except netflix and i know i have a nagging to do list so whats the point , the result is my home life and work life are one and the same except the weekend

for me its nothing but negatives , im doing extra for no extra in my pocket while others have stepped back and although they dont have extra in their pocket from the company they do have extra in their pocket

weve been told in so many words it’s permanent and we will have occasional office days in “the hub” where we can get together with our team but it will be a rarity

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

I'm a contractor and have worked from home since Lockdown V1. Since then I've worked for companies around England where before it was always a London gig.

I suspect things will eventually become onsite based again once things calm down.

I initially missed the stress of the commute into the city. Part of me still does. I have a wardrobe of clothes I haven't worn in almost one year.

That said, I do have more time without the commute. Swings and roundabouts

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

So thankful for still being in the office!

I couldn’t think of anything worse than being at home all day and then all evening. I feel so sorry for people that live on their own

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

I can see businesses hiring meeting rooms, and other facilities. No point having an expensive HQ, and so company cars are no longer needed.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Mr B here - Probably an outlier as generally worked from home 3-5 days a week for last 5 years unless I had client meetings/workshops etc. So little has changed other then everyone else now being home with me! However, I have a home office with own kitchenette, so can lock myself away!

I cannot see things ever going back the same for office worker/back office staff. Companies have realised how much money can be saved in future on office space rent plus much of that type of workforce are happy to have some balance.

But WFH does not work for some people and just isn’t possible for many roles.

I foresee companies keeping offices but on a smaller scale.

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

Been working from home since lockdown 1. Started a new job in October which was kind of weird. Spend majority of my days in Zoom or MS Teams meetings so do see a lot of people. Think it'll be a mix moving forward as my job generally involves travelling county wide to deliver training

By *ermbiMan  over a year ago

Ballyshannon

Have been in work every day since lockdown one in March

By *urreyfun38Couple  over a year ago

croydon

Different point of view here as have been in offices working all the way through as we maintain them.

Having spoken to the people we deal with there is going to be no mass return as companies cannot risk having the whole company off if the worst happens.

But I think the people going back will be the youngsters working from their bedroom or young couples working in their living rooms/kitchens in the rabbit hutches called flats that they live in.We maintain those as well and some are tiny.

More senior staff who travel further and longer will stay at home as they will normally have a larger house/residence.And maybe a home office.

Why give up all that time that they now have.

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"I bloody hope so. Its really hard to do a front facing role when you have no face to face contact and your clients have a habit of lying to you."

Are you a murder detective?

Hastings

Yep I think normal will be more working from home and the city (london) slowing down and this will have even now of an impact on supporting business. Even the sandwich bar will have much less business in the long term.

By *irginieWoman  over a year ago

Near Marlborough

I’ve worked at home for a few years now, my past contract was US based so I travelled every few weeks. I enjoy the flexibility but miss the option to head to the office if I need or want to. My job allows me to be desk based but I’m finding some things very much harder to get done

Vx

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

"I bloody hope so. Its really hard to do a front facing role when you have no face to face contact and your clients have a habit of lying to you.

Are you a murder detective? "

No, probation staff! So the detective work has already been done!

I have worked from home for past 10 years since I set up my own consultancy business so am pretty well set up with seperate office space and music in background unless on MS Teams or Zoom.

Been great hoe cliemts have adpated to on line meetings which really save on travel time and costs although totally stopped my usual naughty hotel meets when i usually travel around the country

By *hrough the looking gla55Couple  over a year ago

Cheam

Wow it’s been almost a year since I’ve been in the office and we’re had almost a complete change of staff. It’d be nice to finally meet them face to face but tbh I’d probably go in no more than twice a week

"I've been working at home since last March and I hate it.

Yep, working from home definitely puts people into 1 of 2 defined groups..... Them what like it, and them what don't!

i usually find its folk with kids and / or a long commute that love it ... easier schools runs , less childcare cost , less commute time and cost ... all positives

for people like me i lived walking distance from the office so no cost saving and minimal time , ive no kids so no cost or convenience there , its really isolating and i end up working twice as long because i am picking up slack for those on reduced hours for childcare requirements and because its hard to draw a boundary between work and home life when its just me at home and just me at work and its all under the same roof - i dont have anything dragging me away at finish time except netflix and i know i have a nagging to do list so whats the point , the result is my home life and work life are one and the same except the weekend

for me its nothing but negatives , im doing extra for no extra in my pocket while others have stepped back and although they dont have extra in their pocket from the company they do have extra in their pocket

weve been told in so many words it’s permanent and we will have occasional office days in “the hub” where we can get together with our team but it will be a rarity "

I've been stuck WFH since last March and hate it. I have kids and always thought it would make life easier bit actually it's made it harder. They have no set routine, I get no break from them and my drive to and from the office was my small slice of alone time.

Can't wait to get back to the office and see other adults and have adult conversations. I'm also less productive at home I'm much more focused in a work environment rather than surrounded by the choas of two kids by myself (partner and I live separately).

However its likely we will have a hybrid of home and office working. It has however saved me a fortune in childcare but that's going on my heating and electric for my freezing house and dark room I'm working in

I'm also working my normal hours around the kids no reduced hours and I've taken on more responsibility. Then add home schooling and I'm a little overwhelmed by it all.

"I'm also working my normal hours around the kids no reduced hours and I've taken on more responsibility. Then add home schooling and I'm a little overwhelmed by it all."

seems massively stressful ...everyone in my team with childcare responsibilities seems to be on a new contract of “just do what you can”

i think its definitely less stressful and they prefer it when the kids are at school but then then they still disappear twice a day for school run - have to wonder how the kids got too and from school when they were in the office 9-5 before

"I'm also working my normal hours around the kids no reduced hours and I've taken on more responsibility. Then add home schooling and I'm a little overwhelmed by it all.

seems massively stressful ...everyone in my team with childcare responsibilities seems to be on a new contract of “just do what you can”

i think its definitely less stressful and they prefer it when the kids are at school but then then they still disappear twice a day for school run - have to wonder how the kids got too and from school when they were in the office 9-5 before "

It's probably more difficult for them to get someone else to do it right now

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I've been working from home since last March... I really don't like it and can't wait to be able to get back in the office and see people again.

Yes... normality will return, but not for a while yet.

"I'm also working my normal hours around the kids no reduced hours and I've taken on more responsibility. Then add home schooling and I'm a little overwhelmed by it all.

i think its definitely less stressful and they prefer it when the kids are at school but then then they still disappear twice a day for school run - have to wonder how the kids got too and from school when they were in the office 9-5 before "

I still have to do the school runs but morning is before I start and afternoon I take a late lunch. I'm NHS so we are busy and staff redeployed. Though half term meant my team met our gerbils via MS teams today

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

Wrap around care isn’t open in lots of cases I know my sons’ isn’t .....

i think its definitely less stressful and they prefer it when the kids are at school but then then they still disappear twice a day for school run - have to wonder how the kids got too and from school when they were in the office 9-5 before

I still have to do the school runs but morning is before I start and afternoon I take a late lunch. I'm NHS so we are busy and staff redeployed. Though half term meant my team met our gerbils via MS teams today "

we meet alot of cats and puppies too

Yep our wrap around care has been shut since March 2020 so I have no childcare options

By *loss aka Miss JonesWoman  over a year ago

south coast IOW

so your working naked every day

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

Been wfh since last March. Started a new role more recently, so I won’t be based from an office in my job now. I do like being away from the office politics. I think the phrase of the year though is - you’re on mute!

Brighton

In normal times most schools provide wrap around care starting earlier and finishing later than standard school day.

Many parents also normally have help from grandparents or friends.

Hastings

So reading this most are ok with the flexibility espesaly if schools where back to normal with school clubs befor and after work

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

I thrive working from home. I work alone, in peace and quiet. No distractions and inane chatter.

Mrs DS is much more gregarious than I and misses the office and banter.

Best thing is the coffee. Work buy cheap crap.

"So reading this most are ok with the flexibility espesaly if schools where back to normal with school clubs befor and after work "

i think flexibility is key and most people who talk about flexible think (or would like) that to mean they can work in the office when they want and home when they want

but companies don't want to pay for offices sitting empty so their staff can be flexible and come and go when they please so i think its likely that it will be mostly home based with the “flexibilty” being one set day here or there wether that be per week or per month or even less often , that lets teams get together in person but the company can still plan for massively reduced office space

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

" I think flexibility is key and most people who talk about flexible think (or would like) that to mean they can work in the office when they want and home when they want

but companies don't want to pay for offices sitting empty so their staff can be flexible and come and go when they please so i think its likely that it will be mostly home based with the “flexibility” being one set day here or there whether that be per week or per month or even less often , that lets teams get together in person but the company can still plan for massively reduced office space "

Perhaps. My friend's company in London reimburse staff to come in to their office, and their monthly bill for expenses is approx 80K.

He said to me that he's saved over 11 months 880K, which is pure profit on the bottom line for him. He said he'd save even more closing the office (Rent/Insurance/Etc). He's been very impressed with how his personnel have taken to using Teams and other remote working tools in their roles.

This is a "bums must be on seats" kind of man (Company Director), and yet he's had an epiphany about remote working.

He's seen a massive gain in productivity right across the board of his company.

In truth it's only a few sales folks who are moaning the most about missing the office vibe, so he is considering getting a smaller office for them to keep them happy and have somewhere for clients to go.

But apart from the benefits of remote working, the other thing he said to me was "I pay my Departmental Heads a higher wage as expected. Their job is to coordinate and orchestrate their teams. But in this time of remote working, the real coordinator are their Section Heads, who are keeping it all cohesive. I may have reevaluate the whole purpose of my Dept Heads. It seems like an unnecessary tier now."

I don't pretend to understand how an insurer/broker works but I think there are going to be major changes ahead for a lot of companies involved in remote working and streamlining their operations.

I also think a lot of mid to upper tier management are going to be wondering about their own futures as well as remote working may pull the rug from underneath them if they are not careful.

" I think flexibility is key and most people who talk about flexible think (or would like) that to mean they can work in the office when they want and home when they want

but companies don't want to pay for offices sitting empty so their staff can be flexible and come and go when they please so i think its likely that it will be mostly home based with the “flexibility” being one set day here or there whether that be per week or per month or even less often , that lets teams get together in person but the company can still plan for massively reduced office space

Perhaps. My friend's company in London reimburse staff to come in to their office, and their monthly bill for expenses is approx 80K.

He said to me that he's saved over 11 months 880K, which is pure profit on the bottom line for him. He said he'd save even more closing the office (Rent/Insurance/Etc). He's been very impressed with how his personnel have taken to using Teams and other remote working tools in their roles.

This is a "bums must be on seats" kind of man (Company Director), and yet he's had an epiphany about remote working.

He's seen a massive gain in productivity right across the board of his company.

In truth it's only a few sales folks who are moaning the most about missing the office vibe, so he is considering getting a smaller office for them to keep them happy and have somewhere for clients to go.

But apart from the benefits of remote working, the other thing he said to me was "I pay my Departmental Heads a higher wage as expected. Their job is to coordinate and orchestrate their teams. But in this time of remote working, the real coordinator are their Section Heads, who are keeping it all cohesive. I may have reevaluate the whole purpose of my Dept Heads. It seems like an unnecessary tier now."

I don't pretend to understand how an insurer/broker works but I think there are going to be major changes ahead for a lot of companies involved in remote working and streamlining their operations.

I also think a lot of mid to upper tier management are going to be wondering about their own futures as well as remote working may pull the rug from underneath them if they are not careful."

ive found the opposite - almost half my week is now spent going in circles on the phone hand holding and shimmying along staff that i would never have had to do in the office , something that would be a 2 line instruction over a partition before is now a 20 min call with a screen share if you are lucky, usually with an extra 10 min tacked on at the beginning for chit chat to keep people feeling connected - if anything i feel like we now need an additional manager to just be a workflow coordinator

granted what we do is quite niche and complex and its a junior team that would normally have needed an intense 6 months training in the office , thats all taken longer at home and without sitting beside each other overhearing things and bouncing ideas off each other none of them seem to have developed the confidence to just go at it on their own the way their predecessors would have ... tried so many ways to get them to stand on their own 2 feet and the only thing i can blame now is this remote working as its not an issue we ever had previously

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Agree with Girlinlingerie about training and hand holding staff. We will definitely (eventually) go back to our teaching centre but I also think they'll keep some element of in-country, online delivery and I think the organisation will be more flexible re: home working. I had reasonable adjustments due to disability before the pandemic and was doing my admin from home one or two days a week but I had to fight tooth and nail for it. The full "at home" having been successful has definitely opened the minds of SMT and it's here to stay to some extent. I certainly don't want to stay home full time for any longer than necessary. I've not met or seen the faces or heard the voices of most of our students this year and it's really very weird and nothing like what I'm used to. I don't like it

I know of at least 3 companies who have downsized their offices and will have a majority of people working from home. They’ve sent to employees desks, chairs and installed dedicated internet platforms.

I can see more doing this as businesses have operated over the last year without people going into the office amd it provides a massive cost saving. Is it a good thing? Personally I think you need social interaction at work, but I understand why businesses are promoting home work

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

working from home but will be back to normal as soon as its safe to do so.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

Working from home is the normal now. Would be quite happy never to set foot in an office again.

Brighton

Expecting a mixed approach. WFH simply does not suit all people or all roles. It was inevitable that increased WFH was going to happen anyway and already was common place in digital/tech industry (even down to employment contracts iften no longer stipulating either place of work or hours of work but instead being purely task driven).

Covid has speeded this up especially once the Finance Directors saw the level of savings on office space etc to be made.

Many employees also like the saving on commuter costs and time but see some downsides (temptation to not switch off and need to prove they are working plus no separation of work/home life and reduced social interaction).

Dangerous generalisation here but I have found it is the younger 1st or 2nd jobbers who find WFH hardest (ironically for digital natives). This is due to needing more guidance and sometimes lacking discipline or time mgt skills.

I learned that the hard way a decade ago being caught out by the draw of day time TV then having to work weekends to catch up!

Brighton

* grrrr typos

I have always been a remote worker, so generally worked from home 2 days a week, the other 3 doing site visits, customer meetings etc.

We have not been allowed to visit sites or customers since March last year so am working from home full time. I never thought I would say it but I miss standing on windswept muddy building sites arguing with site managers or sitting in front of commercial teams trying to get them to pay their 60 day debt.

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

Working from home here since the first lockdown. The company worldwide has seen productivity go up since people were working from home, and after asking about our office will be downsized so the majority of the time will be working from home with a smaller office space set up for once a week visits on a team basis. I for one love working from home, I’m getting less interruptions, I’m fitter and healthier. I don’t have kids so no worries there, and although my commute was short, a couple of miles, my petrol consumption was high (V8) so that’s nice too. Now I can just “drive for fun”

Brighton

Did everyone notice the media and Govt rhetoric back around September. There was criticism of people working from home. Town centre ghost towns due to lack of office workers. Guilt trip being put on people because they weren’t buying sandwiches etc.

All driven by commercial landlords (many donors to Tory party) worried about the future loss of rental income from office and retail space.

Town planners and landlords will need to think more creatively in future. They need to:

- convert unwanted office space into affordable homes (already with fast broadband connection)

- revitalise town centres by having a community living there

- enables many ppl to WFH but in closer proximity to the reduced office space to allow short/easy commute

- revitalises local retail by creating a market/demand from worker/residents

- creates jobs because once you start building a community they will need services (such as doctors and schools)

- good for environment with less long distance commuting

- better for work/life balance

Win win I say!

Plus a lot of pension investment portfolios are loaded with commercial property so they need a way forward!

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"Did everyone notice the media and Govt rhetoric back around September. There was criticism of people working from home. Town centre ghost towns due to lack of office workers. Guilt trip being put on people because they weren’t buying sandwiches etc.

All driven by commercial landlords (many donors to Tory party) worried about the future loss of rental income from office and retail space.

Town planners and landlords will need to think more creatively in future. They need to:

- convert unwanted office space into affordable homes (already with fast broadband connection)

- enables many ppl to WFH but in closer proximity to the reduced office space to allow short/easy commute

- creates jobs because once you start building a community they will need services (such as doctors and schools)

Win win I say!

Plus a lot of pension investment portfolios are loaded with commercial property so they need a way forward! "

I am loving the way you are thinking, the situation we are all in should encourage thinking differently (and no I am not going down the great reset road)...how to make this work for us, the pause is an opportunity, sadly I think one that will be squandered.

Worked from home mainly for some years now, I could do with the fridge being further away. I could not do the commute thing anymore

My job won’t let me work from home exclusively. I have to have face time face contact with my clients. I really can’t wait to get back to full time office work tbh.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I've worked from home for decades.

I certainly don't miss the banter. Couldn't stand working with people who are supposed to be do a job but wasting company time instead.

Birmingham

When I was starting work, lockdown would have driven me mad, work was brill, in the city centre, made some good friends that I still treasure & see...well used to... let’s say still in touch..but now not so much, I have made some very good friendships in the last 3 years or so that will last. I miss seeing them & love hearing their voices when we call. But the kids who were the age I was? Nah, don’t need them, they need peers more than they need me.

North West

"When I was starting work, lockdown would have driven me mad, work was brill, in the city centre, made some good friends that I still treasure & see...well used to... let’s say still in touch..but now not so much, I have made some very good friendships in the last 3 years or so that will last. I miss seeing them & love hearing their voices when we call. But the kids who were the age I was? Nah, don’t need them, they need peers more than they need me."

I miss the hustle and bustle, the banter in our office, the opportunities to innovate and bash ideas out by the photocopier (I don't miss the fecking copier!)

I desperately miss the actual students. Most of the time, I see their initials in a little circle and that's all I've seen of many of them this year

Hastings

"Did everyone notice the media and Govt rhetoric back around September. There was criticism of people working from home. Town centre ghost towns due to lack of office workers. Guilt trip being put on people because they weren’t buying sandwiches etc.

Win win I say!

Plus a lot of pension investment portfolios are loaded with commercial property so they need a way forward! "

Love what you have put as it's just how I see it.

WFH could be more cash in your pocket if not commuting so then shopping local back to a town with a butcher baker and a green grosser so much better for health and community.

As for large offices and shops housing would make a good use of city town space

Birmingham

"When I was starting work, lockdown would have driven me mad, work was brill, in the city centre, made some good friends that I still treasure & see...well used to... let’s say still in touch..but now not so much, I have made some very good friendships in the last 3 years or so that will last. I miss seeing them & love hearing their voices when we call. But the kids who were the age I was? Nah, don’t need them, they need peers more than they need me.

I miss the hustle and bustle, the banter in our office, the opportunities to innovate and bash ideas out by the photocopier (I don't miss the fecking copier!)

I desperately miss the actual students. Most of the time, I see their initials in a little circle and that's all I've seen of many of them this year "

You remind me...our best team ideas came when driving from event to event in the van & shooting the breeze. Now that I miss.

North West

"When I was starting work, lockdown would have driven me mad, work was brill, in the city centre, made some good friends that I still treasure & see...well used to... let’s say still in touch..but now not so much, I have made some very good friendships in the last 3 years or so that will last. I miss seeing them & love hearing their voices when we call. But the kids who were the age I was? Nah, don’t need them, they need peers more than they need me.

I desperately miss the actual students. Most of the time, I see their initials in a little circle and that's all I've seen of many of them this year

You remind me...our best team ideas came when driving from event to event in the van & shooting the breeze. Now that I miss."

Some of my best innovations came in the car on the way in - time where my brain had space, whilst singing along to heavy metal or my son's music

I NEED MY HUSBAND TO GO BACK TO WORK!!! He is here all the time lol. We are not used to this much time together. I work 14 hour shifts, come home and he has got so lazy. Never saw this side to him before but it's getting to the point where I'm gonna find him another job

By *iss.ddWoman  over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

I'd like both of us to go back to the office so I can reclaim my home.

That small box room office originally set up bfor the odd hour here and there isn't cutting it for 2 people doing 50hrs a week

North West

"I NEED MY HUSBAND TO GO BACK TO WORK!!! He is here all the time lol. We are not used to this much time together. I work 14 hour shifts, come home and he has got so lazy. Never saw this side to him before but it's getting to the point where I'm gonna find him another job

"

We work for the same organisation and have have been working from home since March and it's been great, actually! We do normally bump into each other during the day at the college, but it's been brilliant having lunch together or sitting directly together in meetings

"I NEED MY HUSBAND TO GO BACK TO WORK!!! He is here all the time lol. We are not used to this much time together. I work 14 hour shifts, come home and he has got so lazy. Never saw this side to him before but it's getting to the point where I'm gonna find him another job

We work for the same organisation and have have been working from home since March and it's been great, actually! We do normally bump into each other during the day at the college, but it's been brilliant having lunch together or sitting directly together in meetings "

I am one of those people who could happily live on my own. I like my independence. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, familiarity breeds contempt ... for me anyway

"

is he on furlough or working from home?

i think people have a perception that because you are physically in the house all day you can be chipping in more around the house all day , just stick a washing on here, do the dish washer there etc

i know when i am working i am just as busy if not more so at home so luckily i live on my own and when nothing has been touched in the house all day i know its because its no different to the fact nothing would have been done had i been in the actual office

can imagine its causing tension for couples but loads of jobs just wouldn’t afford you the time to do housework during the work day even if working from home

i think people have a perception that because you are physically in the house all day you can be chipping in more around the house all day , just stick a washing on here, do the dish washer there etc

i know when i am working i am just as busy if not more so at home so luckily i live on my own and when nothing has been touched in the house all day i know its because its no different to the fact nothing would have been done had i been in the actual office

can imagine its causing tension for couples but loads of jobs just wouldn’t afford you the time to do housework during the work day even if working from home "

He is on furlough, I do 14 hour shifts and do the dishwasher and washing machine

He is far more productive at work

North West

We work for the same organisation and have have been working from home since March and it's been great, actually! We do normally bump into each other during the day at the college, but it's been brilliant having lunch together or sitting directly together in meetings

I am one of those people who could happily live on my own. I like my independence. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, familiarity breeds contempt ... for me anyway "

We've never spent quite this much time together. We both have live student facing sessions in the mornings mainly so we work in separate rooms in the morning then often work in the same room in the afternoon.

Hastings

"

I guess he is fit and well

Give him jobs to do.

I'm off getting over covid.

Today's list

Change and wash the bedding

Do the wife's laundry

Vacume walk the dogs

Make tomorows lunch for the wife.

Get a G & T ready for when she gets home

Sounds like he needs a push

Give him jobs to do.

Today's list

Do the wife's laundry

Vacume walk the dogs

Sounds like he needs a push "

Come and train him

can imagine its causing tension for couples but loads of jobs just wouldn’t afford you the time to do housework during the work day even if working from home

He is on furlough, I do 14 hour shifts and do the dishwasher and washing machine

He is far more productive at work "

then you 100% have my sympathies

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple  over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"How meany are now working from home?

Or will working from home be the new normal "

Team has been working from home since last March (though I haven't been in my office since Sept 2019 as I got signed off with stress).... but even though I haven't been in the office for about a year and a half, i really don't miss it much. Im more than happy to keep working from home. It's been the upside for me during all of this

In an ideal world I'd get to carry on working away from the office but get to choose a location abroad for my 'home' office. Sadly there's no point getting my hopes up on that one any time soon though

Team has been working from home since last March (though I haven't been in my office since Sept 2019 as I got signed off with stress).... but even though I haven't been in the office for about a year and a half, i really don't miss it much. Im more than happy to keep working from home. It's been the upside for me during all of this

In an ideal world I'd get to carry on working away from the office but get to choose a location abroad for my 'home' office. Sadly there's no point getting my hopes up on that one any time soon though "

ive thought about this too but you need to be careful not to become tax resident in 2 countries too

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

Working from home nearly 12 months now & enjoying it. No commute, no buying coffee or lunches. Meetings online when needed rather than traipsing miles saving time, my patience and I suppose more eco friendly. What's not to like?

Would usually have caught colds or bugs from some of those determined to go into work & spread their germs and obviously not had any of that this year. Long may it continue.

Hastings

In an ideal world I'd get to carry on working away from the office but get to choose a location abroad for my 'home' office. Sadly there's no point getting my hopes up on that one any time soon though

ive thought about this too but you need to be careful not to become tax resident in 2 countries too "

Ok so if you live and work abroad you pay tax in that country if when it comes to the UK you are seen to have paid the same or more then if you where in the uk then there is no more tax to pay. But it dose get complicated on doing self asesment in a for in country and then the UK one

Hastings

Give him jobs to do.

Today's list

Do the wife's laundry

Vacume walk the dogs

Sounds like he needs a push

Come and train him "

Would love to but can't travel at the moment so will have to wate

But really give him some small robs to do get him to empty the bins and then thank him and tell him how much time it saves you

"Working from home nearly 12 months now & enjoying it. No commute, no buying coffee or lunches. Meetings online when needed rather than traipsing miles saving time, my patience and I suppose more eco friendly. What's not to like?

Would usually have caught colds or bugs from some of those determined to go into work & spread their germs and obviously not had any of that this year. Long may it continue."

You know what's going to happen as soon as everyone comes out of theoretical shielding with lower immunity from no exposure don't you?

Hastings

"Working from home nearly 12 months now & enjoying it. No commute, no buying coffee or lunches. Meetings online when needed rather than traipsing miles saving time, my patience and I suppose more eco friendly. What's not to like?

Would usually have caught colds or bugs from some of those determined to go into work & spread their germs and obviously not had any of that this year. Long may it continue.

You know what's going to happen as soon as everyone comes out of theoretical shielding with lower immunity from no exposure don't you? "

Yer they will all get a cold and runny nose

ive thought about this too but you need to be careful not to become tax resident in 2 countries too

Ok so if you live and work abroad you pay tax in that country if when it comes to the UK you are seen to have paid the same or more then if you where in the uk then there is no more tax to pay. But it dose get complicated on doing self asesment in a for in country and then the UK one "

not necessarily, it depends the laws of the country , the period you spend in each country to end up dual tax resident and if the country has dual tax rules in place which mean you will only pay maximum the highest rate from either country as a total (bill may be split across each country depending whos rate is higher) but if no dual tax rule in place you will just be paying full tax twice

no guarantee any agreements in place with uk dont start to change now that free movement has stopped after brexit aswel

By *olden_Road_to_SamarkandMan  over a year ago

North Wessex Downs

I suspect that if it catches on daytime meets on here will become a lot more popular

Hastings

Ok so if you live and work abroad you pay tax in that country if when it comes to the UK you are seen to have paid the same or more then if you where in the uk then there is no more tax to pay. But it dose get complicated on doing self asesment in a for in country and then the UK one

not necessarily, it depends the laws of the country , the period you spend in each country to end up dual tax resident and if the country has dual tax rules in place which mean you will only pay maximum the highest rate from either country as a total (bill may be split across each country depending whos rate is higher) but if no dual tax rule in place you will just be paying full tax twice

no guarantee any agreements in place with uk dont start to change now that free movement has stopped after brexit aswel

"

0ok so all of some where hot and warm

Or will working from home be the new normal "

Yep. I’ve been saying for year I can and being told I couldn’t.

Turns out I can.

Hastings

Yep. I’ve been saying for year I can and being told I couldn’t.

Turns out I can. "

So I guess you like it and are happy. Like meany.

I don’t have to see the people I work with. What could be better?

» Add a new message to this topic