FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > digital census 2021

digital census 2021

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

only just heard about this. Does anyone know its compulsory?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

It is required by law. Failure to comply though will earn you only a light sentence of 7 years in the Tower cleaning up the Raven's mess.

is that just if you fill it online and come calling on you afterwards?

d

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Just Googled it. March 21. I thought we would have had more information about it by now.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Yes every household is required to complete it, it is the law. If you don’t or if you supply false information, you could be fined up to £1,000. Not all questions need to be answered, which ones are clearly marked.

As for completing online and then a follow up visit. You will have someone knock on your door if you don’t complete it on the day. They also do a quality control survey follow up, selecting postcodes at random.

i saw it on a tv ad last night first id ever heard of it

d

By *moothdickMan  over a year ago

stoke

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s not run by Amazon the data psychopaths

On a mooch

"i saw it on a tv ad last night first id ever heard of it

d"

They do it every ten years, I believe this will be the first one totally online.

By *rthur WrightusMan  over a year ago

Round the Bend

And what about those that do not have access or knowledge how to use a computer ? I can think of six households that would be in this position.

On a mooch

"And what about those that do not have access or knowledge how to use a computer ? I can think of six households that would be in this position. "

Do they have a mobile phone, if yes then they complete it on there. Only one person in the household needs to complete it for all.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

d"

Do you mean this particular census or the census in general?

Leeds

"

Do they have a mobile phone, if yes then they complete it on there.

"

My parents mobile phones don't connect to the internet

i can't remember doing a census ten years ago 2011...or in 2001..1991 my parents prob did it when i was away at uni

d

Leeds

I remember a campaign to get people to put "Jedi" on the form so it could be recognised as an official religion

"And what about those that do not have access or knowledge how to use a computer ? I can think of six households that would be in this position. "

From the government website:

The 2021 census will mark the first time that the census is conducted primarily online. The ONS’ target is to have 75% of census returns completed online, with the remainder completed on traditional paper forms.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

upload a complete set of life data to a uk government website? with their record of data protection?

Leeds

"upload a complete set of life data to a uk government website? with their record of data protection? "

They don't ask for your passwords or bank details !

On a mooch

"

My parents mobile phones don't connect to the internet"

Do they have a tablet, is another option. If not I know they are trying to get other family members to help them complete it.

"i can't remember doing a census ten years ago 2011...or in 2001..1991 my parents prob did it when i was away at uni

d"

The first census was carried out in 1801, and every 10 years there after (with possible interruption during war years, I'm not sure). For many decades it's proved an invaluable tool for those carrying out family history searches.

oh yeh i know that i just can't remember doing one.. remember my mum doing one in the 80s but no memory of doing it myself

d

On a mooch

"oh yeh i know that i just can't remember doing one.. remember my mum doing one in the 80s but no memory of doing it myself

d"

Personally I don’t remember ever completing one in the last 30 years either, but I must have

By *rthur WrightusMan  over a year ago

Round the Bend

"And what about those that do not have access or knowledge how to use a computer ? I can think of six households that would be in this position.

Do they have a mobile phone, if yes then they complete it on there. Only one person in the household needs to complete it for all.

"

The people I'm thinking of are elderly customers of mine who live alone and have no wish to own a computer. I'm afraid the mobile phones would go the same way, lucky to send a text let alone log in.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

The questions asked change over the decades to reflect the need for information. I think it once asked if you had a fridge or inside toilet etc at the home so that the penetration of such improvements could be evaluated statistically.

On a mooch

"i can't remember doing a census ten years ago 2011...or in 2001..1991 my parents prob did it when i was away at uni

d

The first census was carried out in 1801, and every 10 years there after (with possible interruption during war years, I'm not sure). For many decades it's proved an invaluable tool for those carrying out family history searches."

There wasn’t one in 1941, instead they did a quick one in 1939.

It’s great for historians but used to help plan where public money and services will be needed in the future.

On a mooch

"And what about those that do not have access or knowledge how to use a computer ? I can think of six households that would be in this position.

The people I'm thinking of are elderly customers of mine who live alone and have no wish to own a computer. I'm afraid the mobile phones would go the same way, lucky to send a text let alone log in. "

I believe every household will receive a letter, so other options will be on that or as said above they are asking others to help them complete it.

it will be interesting this year as there will be people who have made emergency bubbles during covid

d

On a mooch

"The questions asked change over the decades to reflect the need for information. I think it once asked if you had a fridge or inside toilet etc at the home so that the penetration of such improvements could be evaluated statistically. "

The number of rooms your household has, has been removed this year. Three new questions this year.

Here are the questions and what they mean, how to answer

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/560/schedule/2/made

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

I a bit of a stats geek, so kinda enjoy contributing to this every ten years.

I’m actually really looking forward to this one, as I can finally class myself as a Welsh speaker .

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"I a bit of a stats geek, so kinda enjoy contributing to this every ten years.

I’m actually really looking forward to this one, as I can finally class myself as a Welsh speaker ."

da iawn. bydd cynnydd dramatig yn nifer y siaradwyr Cymraeg y tro hwn

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

d

The first census was carried out in 1801, and every 10 years there after (with possible interruption during war years, I'm not sure). For many decades it's proved an invaluable tool for those carrying out family history searches.

It’s great for historians but used to help plan where public money and services will be needed in the future. "

Bahahahahah not worked too well upto now has it?

Utterly pointless waste of time and money. I got suckered into being one of the detailed respondents last time where they interview you and it was banal beyond belief.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"only just heard about this. Does anyone know its compulsory? "

It is .. just like all the other ones .. also as others have suggested anyone who does not complete there's a plan to follow up with doorstep visits to ' persuade' and show people the error of their ways. In other words to complete the form . I have applied for a job with them .. its out there for everyone as part time work so very handy for anyone with their own business struggling at the moment without help from the government ..

On a mooch

d

It’s great for historians but used to help plan where public money and services will be needed in the future.

Utterly pointless waste of time and money. I got suckered into being one of the detailed respondents last time where they interview you and it was banal beyond belief. "

That’s your opinion, but helps plot schools and housing needs as an example. That’s why London has a quota to meet in new builds and in what areas.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"

My parents mobile phones don't connect to the internet"

No but yours does

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Hope my mum can get it on paper she won't even use a cash point as it's a computer

westerham

d

Utterly pointless waste of time and money. I got suckered into being one of the detailed respondents last time where they interview you and it was banal beyond belief.

That’s your opinion, but helps plot schools and housing needs as an example. That’s why London has a quota to meet in new builds and in what areas. "

We have tens of thousands of new build flats empty brought up by Chinese and Russian money. And a million or more people not in the system at all.

"Hope my mum can get it on paper she won't even use a cash point as it's a computer "

Sounds like she will be able to.

First I'd heard of it.

"The questions asked change over the decades to reflect the need for information. I think it once asked if you had a fridge or inside toilet etc at the home so that the penetration of such improvements could be evaluated statistically.

The number of rooms your household has, has been removed this year. Three new questions this year.

Here are the questions and what they mean, how to answer

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/560/schedule/2/made"

Thank you

North Yorkshire

The Census 2021. The immigrants coming into Dover and the surrounding areas should provide some interesting answers to some questions. Such as "how many people do you share your accommodation with?"

"The Census 2021. The immigrants coming into Dover and the surrounding areas should provide some interesting answers to some questions. Such as "how many people do you share your accommodation with?"

"

It's 10 years since I last filled in the form but I think it's done by only one person in the house.

Interestingly it was via historical census forms that I used to research my family history, an unfamiliar surname appeared (which I also researched) and it turned out to be an employee of my (female) relative. It transpired that my relative ran a hairdressing business in the town, downstairs was hairdressing, upstairs she ran a brothel which got raided frequently.

North Yorkshire

Yes, well, the Johnson government is not a good advert for keeping information secure and confidential. Am thinking of medical records being made available to the police.

North Yorkshire

The Census is used to plan ahead for things like housing, schools and the requirements of the NHS for an ageing population, for example. I wonder if the 2011 Census took into account an explosion of illegal immigration numbering some sixty thousand people.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

There's an option to do it on paper for those who don't go online, don't panic Captain Mainwaring!

North Yorkshire

"Interestingly it was via historical census forms that I used to research my family history, an unfamiliar surname appeared (which I also researched) and it turned out to be an employee of my (female) relative. It transpired that my relative ran a hairdressing business in the town, downstairs was hairdressing, upstairs she ran a brothel which got raided frequently."

Do you have the address to hand? I could do with a trim and a bit off the sides or on the side, as the case may be.

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

How are they deciding the 75% to do it online?

Are they sending out paper copies to all households with the option to go online to complete if you want?

Good luck with a government website expecting to handle millions of forms

If it involves me making an effort to find a website to fill in forms for government then I'll probably place that task very low on my things to do list and promptly forget to do it.

North Yorkshire

"How are they deciding the 75% to do it online?

Are they sending out paper copies to all households with the option to go online to complete if you want?

If it involves me making an effort to find a website to fill in forms for government then I'll probably place that task very low on my things to do list and promptly forget to do it. "

Just download the forms or ring up and order them sent to you by post. Fill them in post them back file a copy with your will. Your relatives will thank you a hundred years from now.

North West

"How are they deciding the 75% to do it online?

If it involves me making an effort to find a website to fill in forms for government then I'll probably place that task very low on my things to do list and promptly forget to do it. "

The estimate is 75% people can complete online, it's not a target. The assumption is everyone will do it online but if they cannot, paper forms will be made available by people knocking on your door. Maybe the fine for not doing it will encourage people? It's a legal requirement to complete it.

North West

Census records from other countries are way more detailed and kept annually. Family research in the Netherlands is a piece of the proverbial, you can track people from town to town annually, even better with the added Jewish records which are also very thorough.

West Wales and Cardiff

"I a bit of a stats geek, so kinda enjoy contributing to this every ten years.

I’m actually really looking forward to this one, as I can finally class myself as a Welsh speaker .

da iawn. bydd cynnydd dramatig yn nifer y siaradwyr Cymraeg y tro hwn "

Diolch. Dw i’n cytuno. Mae llawer o ffrindiau wedi bod yn dysgu (Thank you. I agree. A lot of friends have been learning).

Plymouth

"Interestingly it was via historical census forms that I used to research my family history, an unfamiliar surname appeared (which I also researched) and it turned out to be an employee of my (female) relative. It transpired that my relative ran a hairdressing business in the town, downstairs was hairdressing, upstairs she ran a brothel which got raided frequently.

Do you have the address to hand? I could do with a trim and a bit off the sides or on the side, as the case may be. "

Gotta keep those illegal migrants earning a living in the black economy earning, they won't be getting any benefits. I did wonder why you seemed fixated with illegal immigrants...

"Interestingly it was via historical census forms that I used to research my family history, an unfamiliar surname appeared (which I also researched) and it turned out to be an employee of my (female) relative. It transpired that my relative ran a hairdressing business in the town, downstairs was hairdressing, upstairs she ran a brothel which got raided frequently.

Do you have the address to hand? I could do with a trim and a bit off the sides or on the side, as the case may be. "

I'm currently avidly searching to find out what happened to all the profits

"Census records from other countries are way more detailed and kept annually. Family research in the Netherlands is a piece of the proverbial, you can track people from town to town annually, even better with the added Jewish records which are also very thorough."

So why do they need 5G chips in vaccines if people are already being tracked......

North West

"Census records from other countries are way more detailed and kept annually. Family research in the Netherlands is a piece of the proverbial, you can track people from town to town annually, even better with the added Jewish records which are also very thorough.

So why do they need 5G chips in vaccines if people are already being tracked...... "

Sadly my ancestors were not chipped

Plymouth

"The Census is used to plan ahead for things like housing, schools and the requirements of the NHS for an ageing population, for example. I wonder if the 2011 Census took into account an explosion of illegal immigration numbering some sixty thousand people.

"

If they use it to plan ahead for the three things you suggest, then they have got it pretty wrong so far haha

Housing, over crowded, under funded.

Schools, over crowded, under funded.

NHS, over crowded, under funded.

The census is every Ten years this is not a new thing and yes it is a legal requirement to fill in the form.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"There's an option to do it on paper for those who don't go online, don't panic Captain Mainwaring!"

You are overusly good at it but can this be done on an old phone

As were I live don't get 4G and internet is so slow no point in paying for it not all the UK gets good internet

"The Census is used to plan ahead for things like housing, schools and the requirements of the NHS for an ageing population, for example. I wonder if the 2011 Census took into account an explosion of illegal immigration numbering some sixty thousand people.

If they use it to plan ahead for the three things you suggest, then they have got it pretty wrong so far haha

"

You're basing that on the census figures returned being an 'absoloute', it's not and it never has been, it's an aid or a tool to help.

North Yorkshire

"

If you look at the back page of the 2011 Census that is what it says.

North West

"There's an option to do it on paper for those who don't go online, don't panic Captain Mainwaring!

As were I live don't get 4G and internet is so slow no point in paying for it not all the UK gets good internet "

So do the paper version. Do you have a pen handy?

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

d

Utterly pointless waste of time and money. I got suckered into being one of the detailed respondents last time where they interview you and it was banal beyond belief. "

Yup, correct the government have for over 200 years being collecting useless information at great cost & in a boring manner for no reason, just to waste time & money.

Think of it as a stock check if that helps.

Plymouth

If you look at the back page of the 2011 Census that is what it says. "

And that is my point, I didn't need to look at a census to know that, it's obvious from real world observation that that is the case.

westerham

d

Yup, correct the government have for over 200 years being collecting useless information at great cost & in a boring manner for no reason, just to waste time & money.

Think of it as a stock check if that helps."

Well at least a partial stock check of people who are in the system. Nobody else though.

At least the Domesday book was an attempt to collect taxes. The census isn't even that.

Birmingham

"

One word...austerity, created by a government deliberately despite the evidence...

West Wales and Cardiff

No-one, least of all the ONS, think the census is perfect. It’s still an important snapshot of the state of the country though.

If it wasn’t done, people would be _oaning about decisions being taken without the information it does provide.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

d

They do it every ten years, I believe this will be the first one totally online.

"

Really will be the most inacurate one then will only do mine by post or not at all

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I remember a campaign to get people to put "Jedi" on the form so it could be recognised as an official religion"

That goes on.

There's a call from one group to boycott the census this year. Umm... It's compulsory morons

upton wirral

"Yes, well, the Johnson government is not a good advert for keeping information secure and confidential. Am thinking of medical records being made available to the police. "
These days more and more cynical idiots about

Never filled one in straight in the bin don't see the point of it and no one's ever been unless in the day but in never in.

Manchester (she/her)

Yes.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/census/censustransformationprogramme/legislationandpolicy

North Yorkshire

"Never filled one in straight in the bin don't see the point of it and no one's ever been unless in the day but in never in."

It is a legal requirement to complete and return this document. So, might be a different story this year. The country is being ruled by diktat. So you might be looking at 10 years in jail or a £10,000 fine or both. It depends of the whim of our elected representatives. You may get off scot free if you live in Mayfair in London though. Or you could sentenced to spend 10 days in a £12,000 a night flat in Mayfair.

Manchester (she/her)

"Never filled one in straight in the bin don't see the point of it and no one's ever been unless in the day but in never in.

It is a legal requirement to complete and return this document. So, might be a different story this year. The country is being ruled by diktat. So you might be looking at 10 years in jail or a £10,000 fine or both. It depends of the whim of our elected representatives. You may get off scot free if you live in Mayfair in London though. Or you could sentenced to spend 10 days in a £12,000 a night flat in Mayfair. "

A requirement that's been in existence for 101 years is hardly a whim.

North Yorkshire

"Never filled one in straight in the bin don't see the point of it and no one's ever been unless in the day but in never in.

It is a legal requirement to complete and return this document. So, might be a different story this year. The country is being ruled by diktat. So you might be looking at 10 years in jail or a £10,000 fine or both. It depends of the whim of our elected representatives. You may get off scot free if you live in Mayfair in London though. Or you could sentenced to spend 10 days in a £12,000 a night flat in Mayfair.

A requirement that's been in existence for 101 years is hardly a whim."

101BC or 101AD? Get your facts straight before you start throwing stones. The UK Census started in the year 1801.

Manchester (she/her)

A requirement that's been in existence for 101 years is hardly a whim.

101BC or 101AD? Get your facts straight before you start throwing stones. The UK Census started in the year 1801. "

The Census Act, making filling the census compulsory in its current form, came about in 1920, per my link above.

No stones required.

Birmingham

"Never filled one in straight in the bin don't see the point of it and no one's ever been unless in the day but in never in."

Wow.

By *andyMinx_tvTV/TS  over a year ago

Leeds

For those who may be interested or may not be aware, this years Census will, for the first time ask "Is the gender you identify with the same as your sex registered at birth?"

People over 16 can tick yes or no and specify their gender identity.

Before anyone has an apoplexy, answering this question is voluntary

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"The Census 2021. The immigrants coming into Dover and the surrounding areas should provide some interesting answers to some questions. Such as "how many people do you share your accommodation with?"

"

liverpool

"

If it's illegal.. how do you know its 60,000?

liverpool

"I remember a campaign to get people to put "Jedi" on the form so it could be recognised as an official religion

That goes on.

There's a call from one group to boycott the census this year. Umm... It's compulsory morons "

Ha ha remember that jedi thing

This must give conspiracy nuts an aneurysm

On a mooch

"For those who may be interested or may not be aware, this years Census will, for the first time ask "Is the gender you identify with the same as your sex registered at birth?"

People over 16 can tick yes or no and specify their gender identity.

Before anyone has an apoplexy, answering this question is voluntary

"

Yes one of the new questions, a good one I think. The other is your sexual orientation and whether you have ever done military service.

Leeds

Why are they interested in military service ?

On a mooch

"Why are they interested in military service ? "

No idea I was wondering that myself.

Birmingham

See how many ex service personnel live in what type of accommodation or surroundings?

Plymouth

"Why are they interested in military service ? "

They want to know where to find the reservists...

On a mooch

"See how many ex service personnel live in what type of accommodation or surroundings?"

Maybe. At first I thought medical care, after service care, pension, but they must have records of that.

If you are currently serving you answer no to this question, so it is purely those already left the service.

North Yorkshire

"There's an option to do it on paper for those who don't go online, don't panic Captain Mainwaring!

As were I live don't get 4G and internet is so slow no point in paying for it not all the UK gets good internet

So do the paper version. Do you have a pen handy?"

Ok, pick up your pen and write the following. My name is not important. Ha Ha...

North West

Ok, pick up your pen and write the following. My name is not important. Ha Ha... "

The law says you have to fill it in, either digitally or pen and paper. No excuses...

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Ok, pick up your pen and write the following. My name is not important. Ha Ha...

The law says you have to fill it in, either digitally or pen and paper. No excuses..."

Hmm I wonder how many will deliberately ignore the law and not bother filling any format out.

I didn't do the last one and didn't have any comeback.

You already have a mass of people breaking the law holding parties and socialising.

North Yorkshire

The law says you have to fill it in, either digitally or pen and paper. No excuses...

Hmm I wonder how many will deliberately ignore the law and not bother filling any format out.

I didn't do the last one and didn't have any comeback.

You already have a mass of people breaking the law holding parties and socialising.

Maybe the population at large are getting sick and tired of "endless laws."

You can't turn around without tripping over one law or another.

"

Birmingham

...but this is not another law, it is an existing law that is only relevant at census time.

North West

"...but this is not another law, it is an existing law that is only relevant at census time."

Indeed, it's been a law since over 100yrs ago...

North Yorkshire

"...but this is not another law, it is an existing law that is only relevant at census time."

To all intents and purposes to the correspondents on this page they are new laws.

Manchester (she/her)

"...but this is not another law, it is an existing law that is only relevant at census time.

To all intents and purposes to the correspondents on this page they are new laws."

It's a thing that happens every ten years.

The law does not recognise ignorance of the law as a defence to breaking the law.

By *ithintemptationsCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

Never had to fill one in ,never will!

North West

"...but this is not another law, it is an existing law that is only relevant at census time.

To all intents and purposes to the correspondents on this page they are new laws."

That suggests many correspondents on this page are ignorant of a process that has taken place every 10yrs since 1801 (bar WW2) and a law that's been in place since the 1920s. Education, education, education...

Manchester (she/her)

To all intents and purposes to the correspondents on this page they are new laws.

That suggests many correspondents on this page are ignorant of a process that has taken place every 10yrs since 1801 (bar WW2) and a law that's been in place since the 1920s. Education, education, education..."

I've filled in a couple. Before that, my mum made me participate since I was school age. Assuming I didn't emigrate (lol) this will be my fourth census.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

I have no recollection of completing one ten years ago. I was probably on a warm beach somewhere!

i want a postal version as I fancy the pants off my post lady and would like to do my bit towards keeping her employed.

It will be a sad day when everyone is assumed to have the contemporary level of technology available (for example I'm still on XP, don't have broadband and prefer simple talk and text dumbphones for contacting people) and it will be an even sadder day when its use is a legal obligation.

North West

"I have no recollection of completing one ten years ago. I was probably on a warm beach somewhere!

i want a postal version as I fancy the pants off my post lady and would like to do my bit towards keeping her employed.

It will be a sad day when everyone is assumed to have the contemporary level of technology available (for example I'm still on XP, don't have broadband and prefer simple talk and text dumbphones for contacting people) and it will be an even sadder day when its use is a legal obligation."

For the umpteenth time, the law to complete the census is over 100yrs old, it's nothing new. This year, the census can be completed online OR on paper, no-one is being asked to buy new technology or upgrade from Windows XP. However, running such an outdated browser is almost certainly opening you up to massive security issues, so might be worth considering....

I remember filling out a lengthy paper booklet for the 2011 census, giggling at the "Jedi" thing on the bit about religion as I went.

Manchester (she/her)

"I have no recollection of completing one ten years ago. I was probably on a warm beach somewhere!

It will be a sad day when everyone is assumed to have the contemporary level of technology available (for example I'm still on XP, don't have broadband and prefer simple talk and text dumbphones for contacting people) and it will be an even sadder day when its use is a legal obligation."

Fortunately they're aiming for 75%, not universally online.

Leeds

"this will be my fourth census."

I am shocked to realise this will be my sixth census

Birmingham

Perhaps it’s a memory thing..

That suggests many correspondents on this page are ignorant of a process that has taken place every 10yrs since 1801 (bar WW2) and a law that's been in place since the 1920s. Education, education, education..."

maybe this one seems different during covid everything is highlighted there will be people scattered.. more homeless.. 81 and 91 i was in full time education so parents prob did it. 01..someone else in my shared house must have done it.. cannot remember 11..again someone else must have done it

North West

That suggests many correspondents on this page are ignorant of a process that has taken place every 10yrs since 1801 (bar WW2) and a law that's been in place since the 1920s. Education, education, education...

maybe this one seems different during covid everything is highlighted there will be people scattered.. more homeless.. 81 and 91 i was in full time education so parents prob did it. 01..someone else in my shared house must have done it.. cannot remember 11..again someone else must have done it "

It's part of being a grown up! We have to fill them in every 10yrs. You're right, it's a snapshot and always has been. There's always been homeless people or people in temporary accommodation etc. If you move house the day after you fill it in, that's fine. You just tell them where you are on census day. It's not an ongoing location check.

North West

PS: One of my relatives missed the 1901 census because he'd travelled back to the Netherlands to get married, so there's a gap, but by looking at his marriage date vs the census day in 1901, it explains why. He appears again in 1911 (with a couple of children, including my paternal Grandmother).

maybe this one seems different during covid everything is highlighted there will be people scattered.. more homeless.. 81 and 91 i was in full time education so parents prob did it. 01..someone else in my shared house must have done it.. cannot remember 11..again someone else must have done it

It's part of being a grown up! We have to fill them in every 10yrs. You're right, it's a snapshot and always has been. There's always been homeless people or people in temporary accommodation etc. If you move house the day after you fill it in, that's fine. You just tell them where you are on census day. It's not an ongoing location check. "

again i lived in shared housing for about twenty years after leaving parental home so i guess someone else in the house did them, of course i knew about them but just not something i ever concerned myself with and when I saw the tv advert.. it was the first thing I saw about it

d

Only if you want the jab lol!

Falkirk

It's part of being a grown up! We have to fill them in every 10yrs. You're right, it's a snapshot and always has been. There's always been homeless people or people in temporary accommodation etc. If you move house the day after you fill it in, that's fine. You just tell them where you are on census day. It's not an ongoing location check. "

Regardless of the laws involved, if people don't want to fill it out, they won’t.

Data collection is a huge issue nowadays regardless of its intended purpose.

With the amount of cyber crime and hacked technology nowadays, I could see why some would dismiss the census.

I can see this turning into a "wearing a mask" type thread.

Manchester (she/her)

It's part of being a grown up! We have to fill them in every 10yrs. You're right, it's a snapshot and always has been. There's always been homeless people or people in temporary accommodation etc. If you move house the day after you fill it in, that's fine. You just tell them where you are on census day. It's not an ongoing location check.

Regardless of the laws involved, if people don't want to fill it out, they won’t.

With the amount of cyber crime and hacked technology nowadays, I could see why some would dismiss the census.

"

And if they don't, they're breaking the law, no matter how poorly said law is enforced.

Falkirk

And if they don't, they're breaking the law, no matter how poorly said law is enforced."

Your preaching to a minority on here.

Birmingham

"Perhaps it’s a memory thing.."

Seems I was wrong...

Manchester (she/her)

The idea that "you should obey the law" is a minority position is *wild*

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

I've lived alone for over 10 years and can't remember doing the last one,

The water company spells my first name wrong on every bit of information they send me, Gas/electric spell my surname wrong and I still receive mail for 3 different people, They probably think 5 different people live in my house

I am looking forward to the 1921 cenus being available to look at, researching my family tree/s, these have been so helpful and I am really interested to see the next one when available.

Danish x

"No-one, least of all the ONS, think the census is perfect. It’s still an important snapshot of the state of the country though.

If it wasn’t done, people would be _oaning about decisions being taken without the information it does provide. "

Yep

On a mooch

"I am looking forward to the 1921 cenus being available to look at, researching my family tree/s, these have been so helpful and I am really interested to see the next one when available.

Danish x"

Less than a year to go, I’m looking forward to filling in some gaps between 1911 and 1939

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple  over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s not run by Amazon the data psychopaths "

Lol

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

I was always under the impression that all births and deaths were registered. As such, the argument about planning for schools and public sector spending is a bit tenuous. They already have the data. I dont see why they need to know any more details about me.

On a mooch

"I was always under the impression that all births and deaths were registered. As such, the argument about planning for schools and public sector spending is a bit tenuous. They already have the data. I dont see why they need to know any more details about me."

Births might be registered but that doesn’t always correlate to where you live. Example London, I lived in one borough but gave birth in a different borough and that was where his birth was registered, not the borough I lived in.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

yup it is

Birmingham

"I was always under the impression that all births and deaths were registered. As such, the argument about planning for schools and public sector spending is a bit tenuous. They already have the data. I dont see why they need to know any more details about me.

They also kinda want to know what happened between those 2 dates, important as they are. Helps planning much more.

Births might be registered but that doesn’t always correlate to where you live. Example London, I lived in one borough but gave birth in a different borough and that was where his birth was registered, not the borough I lived in. "

By *xploring_FunWoman  over a year ago

Coventry

"it will be interesting this year as there will be people who have made emergency bubbles during covid

d"

That’s always the case though.

I spent years trying to work out who a random visitor was on an ancestor’s census form. 10 years later got the next census and discovered he was their neighbour. Must just have happened to be in their house when the enumerator knocked.

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

It's a good idea in theory but the thing that underminds it is the people who secretly live here and don't declare themselves in any form or another. The Driscoll Brothers, the Ivan's and Borises, the Valiant Thor's, the illegal entrants of this world. So it becomes a futile operation.

It should help to fix this country......but it won't.

Birmingham

"It's a good idea in theory but the thing that underminds it is the people who secretly live here and don't declare themselves in any form or another. The Driscoll Brothers, the Ivan's and Borises, the Valiant Thor's, the illegal entrants of this world. So it becomes a futile operation.

"

Methinks you overestimate the number & effect of unregistered people & imagine the census is a scheme to fix..it isn’t. Neither makes the census invalid, it may skew the results slightly.

North Yorkshire

"It's a good idea in theory but the thing that underminds it is the people who secretly live here and don't declare themselves in any form or another. The Driscoll Brothers, the Ivan's and Borises, the Valiant Thor's, the illegal entrants of this world. So it becomes a futile operation.

Methinks you overestimate the number & effect of unregistered people & imagine the census is a scheme to fix..it isn’t. Neither makes the census invalid, it may skew the results slightly."

At least we will know for certain how many illegal immigrants are here and where they are living.

By *antasyrealmCouple  over a year ago

Congleton

Been going for years. Just fill it in. Or do you have something to hide....

in non covid times do ONS do more detailed follow up with some houses? i remember getting a visit from them - would have been about 10 years ago, they sat in my living room asked me a load of questions and then came back wither. few months later or a year later to repeat - can’t remember the gap

"Just Googled it. March 21. I thought we would have had more information about it by now. "

It has been flagged/advertised regularly for several months. There is a census every 10 yrs and has been since 1800 and odd. Maybe you didn't get the memo?

"Just Googled it. March 21. I thought we would have had more information about it by now.

It has been flagged/advertised regularly for several months. There is a census every 10 yrs and has been since 1800 and odd. Maybe you didn't get the memo?"

where is the information about it though? ill be honest the only place ive read about it was on here - the amount of junk mail ive had from the government this year i would have expected at the very least a leaflet drop

"Just Googled it. March 21. I thought we would have had more information about it by now.

It has been flagged/advertised regularly for several months. There is a census every 10 yrs and has been since 1800 and odd. Maybe you didn't get the memo?

where is the information about it though? ill be honest the only place ive read about it was on here - the amount of junk mail ive had from the government this year i would have expected at the very least a leaflet drop "

ive just searched and the govt website says its applicable for england and wales and they direct you to another site for northern ireland census - are scotland not taking part?

where is the information about it though? ill be honest the only place ive read about it was on here - the amount of junk mail ive had from the government this year i would have expected at the very least a leaflet drop

ive just searched and the govt website says its applicable for england and wales and they direct you to another site for northern ireland census - are scotland not taking part? "

No, theirs is next year.

By *ngi58TV/TS  over a year ago

nr Sunderland

[Removed by poster at 04/03/21 01:33:05]

Birmingham

Methinks you overestimate the number & effect of unregistered people & imagine the census is a scheme to fix..it isn’t. Neither makes the census invalid, it may skew the results slightly.

At least we will know for certain how many illegal immigrants are here and where they are living. "

By their very status I am guessing not much if any form filling going on from unregistered persons..

By *mma_EvansTV/TS  over a year ago

Colchester

My letter arrived this morning. The letter advises to go to a Gov website to complete the census or there is a freephone number to request a paper copy. So no problem for the above posters identifying about people not having access to the internet or people only having basic phones that wont connect to the internet xx

By *100Man  over a year ago

Essex

Started doing mine already not a problem

ive just searched and the govt website says its applicable for england and wales and they direct you to another site for northern ireland census - are scotland not taking part?

No, theirs is next year. "

i ended up finding this online - odd that we delayed an 80% online census (decision was taken as early as last summer) but are still going ahead with in person voting , not that i think we should delay the election but a bit of consistency would be nice

On a mooch

"Started doing mine already not a problem "

Done mine, took all of 15 minutes for a two person household.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

got mine though door yesterday not digital a well filled envelope with an English & Welsh version

Bexley

"got mine though door yesterday not digital a well filled envelope with an English & Welsh version "

Surprised that you describe it as 'well filled' unless you have already asked for a census form. All I got was a covering letter and a folded A4 leaflet telling me to complete on line or phone for a paper form.

Why the hell couldn't they have included the paper form in the same mailing?

I do not intend to fill it in on line because I don't want to give them one more than necessary implied vote that they can move the entire thing on line in future. They will undoubtedly be seeking to do this and use statistics as a justification.

Well, they can move it entirely on line if they choose but I won't be able to give an undertaking to participate. I have a letterbox. I'm not obliged to use email. Computers, smartphones and telephones are still optional gadgets as far as I'm aware.

A quick shufti at the questionnaire PDF shows that there are no questions about one's use or access to new technology. Already assumed, presumably, as those employed in the exercise will all have it provided for them at work.

"got mine though door yesterday not digital a well filled envelope with an English & Welsh version

Surprised that you describe it as 'well filled' unless you have already asked for a census form. All I got was a covering letter and a folded A4 leaflet telling me to complete on line or phone for a paper form.

Why the hell couldn't they have included the paper form in the same mailing?

I do not intend to fill it in on line because I don't want to give them one more than necessary implied vote that they can move the entire thing on line in future. They will undoubtedly be seeking to do this and use statistics as a justification.

Well, they can move it entirely on line if they choose but I won't be able to give an undertaking to participate. I have a letterbox. I'm not obliged to use email. Computers, smartphones and telephones are still optional gadgets as far as I'm aware.

A quick shufti at the questionnaire PDF shows that there are no questions about one's use or access to new technology. Already assumed, presumably, as those employed in the exercise will all have it provided for them at work."

because they are aiming for something like 75% online completion so that postage (calculated by weight) and printing costs and going straight into the bin is a complete waste for 75% of households who didn’t need a full booklet in paper

Bexley

"

...because they are aiming for something like 75% online completion so that postage (calculated by weight) and printing costs and going straight into the bin is a complete waste for 75% of households who didn’t need a full booklet in paper "

Don't worry, I do understand the economics involved. Whether the entire exercise is relevant nowadays is debatable, however, as should perhaps be the statutory obligation to take part. There was no such thing as market research or internet traffic analysis when censuses were born. Things can be done differently now and probably as effectively.

I am merely playing Devil's Advocate on behalf of the few of us left who are concerned about being forced, by law, to use a particular mode of communication which is not as yet in exclusive universal use and also happens to involve not inconsiderable expense to keep connected to and equipped for.

Postal communication is by no means yet dead. As I have said before, I enjoy the pretty sight of my Postie on her rounds.

In contrast, I don't give a toss who the network provider is and, until lockdown, I never paid for it. I just logged in to freebie routers when I was out and about. Mainly at Eureka where most people were perusing this site on the club WiFi. That's how I got to know about it!

"

...because they are aiming for something like 75% online completion so that postage (calculated by weight) and printing costs and going straight into the bin is a complete waste for 75% of households who didn’t need a full booklet in paper

Don't worry, I do understand the economics involved. Whether the entire exercise is relevant nowadays is debatable, however, as should perhaps be the statutory obligation to take part. There was no such thing as market research or internet traffic analysis when censuses were born. Things can be done differently now and probably as effectively.

I am merely playing Devil's Advocate on behalf of the few of us left who are concerned about being forced, by law, to use a particular mode of communication which is not as yet in exclusive universal use and also happens to involve not inconsiderable expense to keep connected to and equipped for.

Postal communication is by no means yet dead. As I have said before, I enjoy the pretty sight of my Postie on her rounds.

In contrast, I don't give a toss who the network provider is and, until lockdown, I never paid for it. I just logged in to freebie routers when I was out and about. Mainly at Eureka where most people were perusing this site on the club WiFi. That's how I got to know about it!"

but nobody is being forced to use the internet, you have been POSTED instructions, which include the option to be POSTED a full form to fill in ... making a daft suggestion that every person should have been posted a wasteful form directly when only 25% are expected to use one isn’t devils advocate

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 04/03/21 17:55:37]

Bexley

"

..making a daft suggestion that every person should have been posted a wasteful form directly when only 25% are expected to use one isn’t devils advocate "

It will be interesting to see what percentage of respondents use which medium.

By *cloversCouple  over a year ago

Hull

Done & submitted - to be honest there was very little on there that asked for anything that "they" don't know about us anyway.

Bexley

By the way, I instantly realised that the letter was to be treated extremely seriously when I saw the crest in the top right hand corner bearing a lion and a unicorn. You don't mess with them!

By *xploring_FunWoman  over a year ago

Coventry

No, theirs is next year.

i ended up finding this online - odd that we delayed an 80% online census (decision was taken as early as last summer) but are still going ahead with in person voting , not that i think we should delay the election but a bit of consistency would be nice "

It’s because the people who are least likely to be able to complete the census online are the elderly, who are also most likely to be affected by Covid.

Changing the census by a year won’t make a massive difference, but obviously the elections can’t be changed. Essential vs Can wait.

No, theirs is next year.

i ended up finding this online - odd that we delayed an 80% online census (decision was taken as early as last summer) but are still going ahead with in person voting , not that i think we should delay the election but a bit of consistency would be nice

It’s because the people who are least likely to be able to complete the census online are the elderly, who are also most likely to be affected by Covid.

Changing the census by a year won’t make a massive difference, but obviously the elections can’t be changed. Essential vs Can wait."

the options are online or postal - options for voting are in person or postal - if they can post one they can post the other

the actual reason they claimed to have delayed is because of the quality of the data

because it is used for future planning and we are currently in unusual circumstances which would give false trends in the data, but given that was decided last summer , realistically do they think the economy will have recovered by the time they want to do it next year? they should just have stayed in line with the timeline of the rest of the uk so we had comparable data with them since it wont just be the scottish govt making decisions off the back of the information gathered

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

We meant to do it online on the 21st is there a system capable of everyone doing it on that day.

On a mooch

"We meant to do it online on the 21st is there a system capable of everyone doing it on that day."

You can do it earlier, I’ve already done mine and submitted. I know where I am going to be on 21 March and who will be in my household so there was no reason to wait.

By *ingo69Man  over a year ago

north staffs south cheshire

Its a paper one as well unless you filled it in online last time ,if you did not do an online census 10 yrs ago you will recieve a paper form to fill in or if you wish it can be done online as there is sensus excess code on the front page so this can be done

West Wales and Cardiff

Done mine.

I’ve worked in a field where census data was relied upon heavily and important in the planning of vital policies and services.

Was able to put myself down as being ablw to put myself down as being able to speak, read and write Welsh for the first time. Actually felt quite excited doing that - not something I wver thought I’d say about the form!

Leeds

You can request a paper form but no one is automatically sent one.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

"upload a complete set of life data to a uk government website? with their record of data protection? "

It’s hardly your bank details .... name dob occupation is about all. Not everything is a conspiracy

South

"We meant to do it online on the 21st is there a system capable of everyone doing it on that day."

I’ve already done mine don’t have to wait

South

https://census.gov.uk/en/start/ ....

I've been posted the full form to fill in hadnt realised it was online. Wonder how they've selected who gets paper forms without requesting.

upton wirral

d

"

yes discusting it is online still millions do not have computers what are they meant to do?

d

yes discusting it is online still millions do not have computers what are they meant to do?"

do the paper one !

On a mooch

d

yes discusting it is online still millions do not have computers what are they meant to do?"

Some are sent the paper version or you can request it. I completed mine on my phone, so no laptop needed.

South

d

They request a paper copy ..... why is it disgusting?

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

If you can't find your letter with the code then you can request one sent by text- just Google it.

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

Received our notification via letter over the weekend and completed online. There won't be anyone else here on 21 March. Much quicker and easier than old paper version IMO

Just done it. They mention a £1000 fine if you don’t

Did mine in my phone 2 days ago There are too many questions on work and exam results

Leeds

"Did mine in my phone 2 days ago There are too many questions on work and exam results "

I agree. My dad is 86. Seemed daft answering if he was actively seeking work and who his last employer was

yes it is by law

South

"Did mine in my phone 2 days ago There are too many questions on work and exam results "

Took me about 2 minutes there is only questions on level of education not exam results.

Every household is getting a letter and info booklet. Mine arrived Friday and is already done.

There is a bit about education. I found it straight forward and was done before my coffee even thought about getting cold. But then, there's only me here. You have to full it in about everyone in the home.

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 10/03/21 14:00:08]

Bexley

"...I found it straight forward and was done before my coffee even thought about getting cold."

That will undoubtedly have helped them with any data they are collecting on how warm people are keeping their houses!

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

"

60,000!?! Ha ha ha! Try 3,200 in the 18 months up to May-20

By *usybee73Man  over a year ago

in the sticks

Never filled one out, the local council and experian have enough data on me already ... never mind the tax man

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

It states very clearly on mine all households to complete on Sunday 21st march 2021 or as soon as possible after. You must complete by law or face a possible fine of up to £1000.00. It don't say sweet f a about completing it beforehand, obviously if a pandemic comes along before then loads of us may be dead by then with the result the census would not be accurate. You can request a paper form online lol.

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

"Never filled one out, the local council and experian have enough data on me already ... never mind the tax man"

Taxman has nothing to do with it. Office of National Statistics. Number of residents in a property. Nationalities. Ages. Job titles. Number of bedrooms. Education level. That’s it.

Manchester (she/her)

"It states very clearly on mine all households to complete on Sunday 21st march 2021 or as soon as possible after. You must complete by law or face a possible fine of up to £1000.00. It don't say sweet f a about completing it beforehand, obviously if a pandemic comes along before then loads of us may be dead by then with the result the census would not be accurate. You can request a paper form online lol."

It's weird to me that something so... routine is apparently a Thing.

On a mooch

"It states very clearly on mine all households to complete on Sunday 21st march 2021 or as soon as possible after. You must complete by law or face a possible fine of up to £1000.00. It don't say sweet f a about completing it beforehand, obviously if a pandemic comes along before then loads of us may be dead by then with the result the census would not be accurate. You can request a paper form online lol."

Never received the paperwork, requested address code online and it let me complete and submit. If they had an issue with the ‘must do it this day’ it wouldn’t be possible to submit beforehand.

By *oAnCouple  over a year ago

Wandsworth

"Why are they interested in military service ?

No idea I was wondering that myself. "

Many people have extensive fighting experience, just not in the UK forces so this question helps in a number of ways from planning mental services to determining internal does.