FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Will the Olympic Games go ahead?

Will the Olympic Games go ahead?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I heard that Tokyo is still hopeful about hosting the Olympics this year. But is that realistic considering "Rona"?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Who knows. That's a lot of people travelling from a lot of countries .

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Who knows. That's a lot of people travelling from a lot of countries ."

I feel may be a mutation hub

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

Sadly I think not for at least four years

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

I think it would be crackers to go ahead, the polls in Japan are strongly against it, and even a scaled down Olympics with few spectators would have a stupendous total number of people from all over the world travelling in.

At the last Olympics there were 11,300 athletes. When you add in trainers, journalists, nutritionists, logistics, team personnel, support staff etc etc it's probably ten or twenty times that many who would have to travel in. Madness.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Can't see how it possibly can.

Most Olympic athletes train on a 4year cycle aiming to peak for the game's.

I imagine that a vast majority are not in tip top shape.

How can contact sports like judo, boxing etc... Go ahead.

It will be a poor shadow of itself and I for one wouldn't want to see a diluted games.

The whole point is the best of the best competing against each other.

Countries that have been in full lockdown with limited access to facilities would be at a huge disadvantage.

And this isn't even touching on covid issues.

I think we all realise that it would be totally impossible to do it safely.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Someone on another thread said their son has seven months work in Japan, preparing for the Olympics

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"I heard that Tokyo is still hopeful about hosting the Olympics this year. But is that realistic considering "Rona"?"

Stand back a minute. I mean for sports and event lovers wouldn't it be great to have something to look forward to watching? I know it's not for everybody but lots of people really enjoy it. But...

Pretty much all countries have been under lockdown and restrictions to manage this infection and now its variants and mutations that happen more when infections are higher. So having gone what will have been 18 months of torment for most people.

Now, if you were to take a blank sheet of paper and design and event to put at risk all of these efforts, it would be an event which requires the mass movement of 100s of thousands of people from all countries around the globe and have them all locate next to eachother.

But the mighty dollar will win and the sponsors will have their event I'm sure. And if any country can do it in a safe and secure way as possible it will be japan.

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

I afraid I have to agree, seems like complete madness to allow it. The money spent...already spent, the athletes? Dreadful especially if you know this is/was your best or last shot, four years is a long time & by the time the next one rolls around it will be 8 years..could be an opportunity to change how the olympics run, it is becoming a very expensive thing to do for a single nation so perhaps a designated site built by competing nations in lieu of holding the games, updated regularly, used during non Olympic years for events & centers of excellence for respective sports, etc etc.

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

"Can't see how it possibly can.

Most Olympic athletes train on a 4year cycle aiming to peak for the game's.

I imagine that a vast majority are not in tip top shape.

How can contact sports like judo, boxing etc... Go ahead.

It will be a poor shadow of itself and I for one wouldn't want to see a diluted games.

The whole point is the best of the best competing against each other.

Countries that have been in full lockdown with limited access to facilities would be at a huge disadvantage.

And this isn't even touching on covid issues.

I think we all realise that it would be totally impossible to do it safely."

True, it will not be possible to do it safely. And unlike football which is played outdoors, some of the olympic events are held indoors - which will increase the risk of transmission further.

Also due to travel bans in some countries, it will be hard to get enough spectators to attend the events , so it will not be economically visible to host.

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 17/02/21 10:52:17]

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It shouldn't go ahead, due to the risks to the Japanese and the rest of the world. Money will force the hands of those deciding on it though.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

I think it will go ahead to much money all ready invested and the TV rights should claw back most of it.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Sadly I think not for at least four years"

I think that Tokyo will be cancelled, next year's winter games will probably happen and the next summer games will be 2024 in Paris. It seems most likely that they could push 2028's games in LA back four years to fit Tokyo in there instead... but I'm sure there will be an announcement in mid spring.

Cal

» Add a new message to this topic