FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Schools 8th March..Not!! RANT.

Schools 8th March..Not!! RANT.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asycouple1971 OP   Couple  over a year ago

midlands

Just had email from school and my kids school will only be open to test the students for covid.

8th March they will test 2 year groups then send them home and they will return to school the following day.

The following day they will test another 2yr groups and send them home to return the following day and so on until the year groups have been tested.

The pupils that dont want to be tested remain at home and go in when their year group goes in.

No idea if they plan to do this weekly or daily.

Is this happening in any other schools?

My kids are in secondary school.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This is a fantastic thing! Means individual people can isolate instead of whole year/class and stop the spread out of family groups ... much better than last time!

By *ev_1Couple  over a year ago

Bickliegh

Glad to see a school trying to protect there staff from covid

By *aulaxd500TV/TS  over a year ago

Wigan

Seems a very sensible approach

By *issy louWoman  over a year ago

Staffordshire Moorlands

I don't see the problem. Secondary schools have been told they need a testing programme? Doing their best to keep everyone safe

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

"Glad to see a school trying to protect there staff from covid "

Abso-fuxking-lutely!

How and when schools return is up to the individual head - your head OP seems bloody sensible - well done them!

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Seems a sensible plan. I'm sure all schools will do things differently. Some better than others no doubt.

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

Yes the same thing is happening in this area. Gives them a baseline then doesn’t it. Those that need to self-isolate, can and hopefully less chance of an immediate outbreak in school. Going forward they do two tests a week at home.

Would have like to have seen all teachers vaccinated before kids go back.

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"Just had email from school and my kids school will only be open to test the students for covid.

8th March they will test 2 year groups then send them home and they will return to school the following day.

The following day they will test another 2yr groups and send them home to return the following day and so on until the year groups have been tested.

The pupils that dont want to be tested remain at home and go in when their year group goes in.

"

You're ranting that your children's school is doing whatever they can to protect your children and it's staff?

Am I reading that right?

E

South

"Just had email from school and my kids school will only be open to test the students for covid.

You're ranting that your children's school is doing whatever they can to protect your children and it's staff?

Am I reading that right?

E"

Mind blowing isn’t it

midlands

My rant is the boris lies that school was to start on 8th.

Due to this testing 1 of my kids is not starting until the following week.

Why couldnt they do the test the week before?

And why is it the teachers doing the test and not some independant company?

The teachers have enough to do as it is.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

We are awaiting full details, rules have been issued, guidelines of what to expect. Consent forms being gathered this week, testing timetable being issued next week to cover the first three tests over 10 days.

By *BW BlondeWoman  over a year ago

Castleford

Hope our school does that. So far not heard of anything to say that they are...!! That makes perfect sense.

Staffordshire Moorlands

Still don't get the rant if I'm honest? Boris didn't lie, he said that schools wouldn't go back before the 8th March and he also said that secondary schools need to set up a testing programme. This in itself is a logistical nightmare for schools, as secondary schools have on average 1000 pupils. In my opinion, everyone is doing their best to keep students and staff as safe as possible instead of throwing them all back on the 8th

South

"My rant is the boris lies that school was to start on 8th.

"

Because Boris is telling schools what to do but not giving them extra resources to do it. They are teaching keyworkers and online the week before so couldn’t do a third job as well.

South

Judging by how packed all the play areas have been this week I wish they’d do it for primary too ....

By *ittleMissSexy2017Couple  over a year ago

Kent

There are no companies free to do testing hence the teachers....it’s cheaper in addition teachers have already passed vetting which is needed for the testing. So basically cheaper and easier for the government.

As for schools opening and not doing it the week before not all schools are doing the phased return lateral testing. Some are doing it one full swoop. What isn’t currently clear is the ‘three tests’ it’s likely most schools will do one set of tests one week and then the week after and then another two weeks in to monitor any asymptotic cases. For once schools are actually having some mission command, an end goal but can approach it how best for them.

Most schools are reusing the plan which they would of put in place for the start of the spring term in January

Full steam ahead hopefully! Biggest issues will be keeping kids to social distancing and the use of public transport but fingers crossed

"

Because presumably, if an independent company carried out the tests it would most likely fall on the school to fund it. Schools financed are stretched through underfunding as it is, without further expense.

"

Some do open in the 8th. We are and testing as we go. It’s the 8th at the earliest remember. Not a fixed certainty, we can choose how to open that ensures safety of staff.

Borris simply let us put motions in place to do so.

We can’t test the week before as we need the test kits. Supply is mixed so it’s impossible to have a National standard. Also we are still in lockdown until the 8th so it isn’t legal.

An independent company would charge the earth, education funding can’t afford it quite simply.

midlands

"

Because Boris is telling schools what to do but not giving them extra resources to do it. They are teaching keyworkers and online the week before so couldn’t do a third job as well.

"

Exactly

On a mooch

"

At ours the teachers and parent volunteers will be supervising or overseeing the pupils doing the test themselves, which is no different than when you go for a test.

I imagine the first one may take longer as they talk the kids through the process. It’s something they need to know so can self test at home, twice a week, following the first tests in school

midlands

Some do open in the 8th. We are and testing as we go. It’s the 8th at the earliest remember. Not a fixed certainty, we can choose how to open that ensures safety of staff.

Borris simply let us put motions in place to do so.

We can’t test the week before as we need the test kits. Supply is mixed so it’s impossible to have a National standard. Also we are still in lockdown until the 8th so it isn’t legal.

An independent company would charge the earth, education funding can’t afford it quite simply. "

Remember this is the same party that gave their mates million and billion pound contracts.

Maybe but they didn’t give it to education.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

At least you don't have kids in s1-S3 in Scotland. They won't be back until end of April.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Manchester

Sounds like a great way of doing it. Well done that school.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

They are doing very similar at our school. The children who have consented to be tested go in on day Monday for the test, then go in on Tuesday as normal assuming they are clear.

The children who haven't consented go in on the Tuesday which kind of defeats the object!

By *had0wMan  over a year ago

Southampton

"Still don't get the rant if I'm honest? Boris didn't lie, he said that schools wouldn't go back before the 8th March and he also said that secondary schools need to set up a testing programme. This in itself is a logistical nightmare for schools, as secondary schools have on average 1000 pupils. In my opinion, everyone is doing their best to keep students and staff as safe as possible instead of throwing them all back on the 8th "

Hahahahaha boris didn't lie?!?!?! That's all he's done for his whole career and now you believe him??? Lololol

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

My daughters college is doing the same. All the dates were guidelines to be fair. I actually expect the school date to change again as the teaching staff wanted a staggered start.. as opposed to Boris.

We have been told they will have to come in for testing on the first few days. Then will be tested once or twice a week at college for the first 2 weeks. After that the tests, will be done at home x

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

This sounds like a plan to move forward testing will help stop transmitting it to other puples and teachers and so parents and the wider comunity.

It should also mean a school getting back to normal.

OP If you do not want teachers testing could the school not ask if any parents could volunteer time to go in to school and help out. This could be done with the PTA if they still exist in schools.

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

It's clear that no matter what measures are put in place, there's always going to be whiners, moaners and the doom and gloom merchants. There's a date, it's happening,,, just get on with it. Stumbling blocks aren't helpful

midlands

"This sounds like a plan to move forward testing will help stop transmitting it to other puples and teachers and so parents and the wider comunity.

OP If you do not want teachers testing could the school not ask if any parents could volunteer time to go in to school and help out. This could be done with the PTA if they still exist in schools.

"

With our school, no parents is allowed in school due to social distanting.

The school already has few teachers due to self issolating etc and now they have to take on dealing with the testing and admin eg calling parents with test results etc

midlands

"It's clear that no matter what measures are put in place, there's always going to be whiners, moaners and the doom and gloom merchants. There's a date, it's happening,,, just get on with it. Stumbling blocks aren't helpful"

You think its acceptable for teachers to do the extra work when they are meant to be teaching?

The teachers union already mentioned the logistics and cost of testing kids when this was mentioned months ago as an idea but has boris done abything to help the schools and teachers?

On a mooch

"This sounds like a plan to move forward testing will help stop transmitting it to other puples and teachers and so parents and the wider comunity.

The school already has few teachers due to self issolating etc and now they have to take on dealing with the testing and admin eg calling parents with test results etc

"

Not sure why you think they have to call the parents with the results, ours will be coming through the official test channels by text or email.

Southampton

"It's clear that no matter what measures are put in place, there's always going to be whiners, moaners and the doom and gloom merchants. There's a date, it's happening,,, just get on with it. Stumbling blocks aren't helpful

You think its acceptable for teachers to do the extra work when they are meant to be teaching?

The teachers union already mentioned the logistics and cost of testing kids when this was mentioned months ago as an idea but has boris done abything to help the schools and teachers? "

He managed to pluck 700 million out of thin air in an "economic crisis"... hmmm who's paying that back I wonder...

oldham

"It's clear that no matter what measures are put in place, there's always going to be whiners, moaners and the doom and gloom merchants. There's a date, it's happening,,, just get on with it. Stumbling blocks aren't helpful

The teachers union already mentioned the logistics and cost of testing kids when this was mentioned months ago as an idea but has boris done abything to help the schools and teachers? "

Of course it's not acceptable or ideal. It's not been ideal how many NHS workers were redirected into other duties. But these are unprecedented times. It's called stepping upto the plate

By *ixey and CopperCouple  over a year ago

exeter

The school staff are doing it for the first week, then they have to be done at home.

Its a great way to do it.

Maybe some furloughed parents could volunteer to help

South

The teachers union already mentioned the logistics and cost of testing kids when this was mentioned months ago as an idea but has boris done abything to help the schools and teachers?

Of course it's not acceptable or ideal. It's not been ideal how many NHS workers were redirected into other duties. But these are unprecedented times. It's called stepping upto the plate "

Thing is that face to face teaching and online teaching is already two jobs .... unlike NHS teachers don’t get paid overtime and there is no more time in the day for any extra work. I worked 5 weeks unpaid in the last lockdown and we have had enough

By *urora1912Woman  over a year ago

Norfolk East anglia

Looks like a phased return and with testing I think twice a week.

They have been told this from the government that testing will be done

Still think it's crazy not to vaccinate all teachers and adult school workers first before sending kids back.

oldham

Of course it's not acceptable or ideal. It's not been ideal how many NHS workers were redirected into other duties. But these are unprecedented times. It's called stepping upto the plate

Thing is that face to face teaching and online teaching is already two jobs .... unlike NHS teachers don’t get paid overtime and there is no more time in the day for any extra work. I worked 5 weeks unpaid in the last lockdown and we have had enough "

I totally agree and if anything this has highlighted the poor pay that teachers and nhs staff suffer. The so called catch up fund that schools and colleges are being given is a pittance. Why should people have to work extra hours to make their salary more in line with other sectors.

South

Thing is that face to face teaching and online teaching is already two jobs .... unlike NHS teachers don’t get paid overtime and there is no more time in the day for any extra work. I worked 5 weeks unpaid in the last lockdown and we have had enough

I totally agree and if anything this has highlighted the poor pay that teachers and nhs staff suffer. The so called catch up fund that schools and colleges are being given is a pittance. Why should people have to work extra hours to make their salary more in line with other sectors. "

Teachers won’t work the catch up on holidays unless they’re paid for it (as we aren’t paid for school holidays) and the budget isn’t enough to actually pay anyone to deliver it. Just utter nonsense

Tin town

"

Well if you're going to rant get it right. The plan says all schools will be open from 8th and schools will manage their start up their way. Your school is managing it the way you described which seems sensible. Schools will manage the testing their way too. Some have parent volunteers. Some have teachers. Not sure why it is exercising you quite so much.

Tin town

"

Well some seem to be able to do it and not have an issue with it thankfully. It just shows that some schools and areas can cope and are willing and others don't seem to be able to. Not sure we should penalise those who are able to flex and get the job done. But yes if schools are struggling for whatever reason then the local authority need to get involved and perhaps recruit or supplement staff until they are able to.

Tin town

"There are no companies free to do testing hence the teachers....it’s cheaper in addition teachers have already passed vetting which is needed for the testing. So basically cheaper and easier for the government.

As for schools opening and not doing it the week before not all schools are doing the phased return lateral testing. Some are doing it one full swoop. What isn’t currently clear is the ‘three tests’ it’s likely most schools will do one set of tests one week and then the week after and then another two weeks in to monitor any asymptotic cases. For once schools are actually having some mission command, an end goal but can approach it how best for them.

Most schools are reusing the plan which they would of put in place for the start of the spring term in January

Full steam ahead hopefully! Biggest issues will be keeping kids to social distancing and the use of public transport but fingers crossed "

Agreed, which will require parents pupils staff and others to flex and focus and support the end goal.. We can do this.

Tin town

"Still think it's crazy not to vaccinate all teachers and adult school workers first before sending kids back. "

It's an interesting point and until reading this article on sky this morning I agreed. But the article explains and it seems to make sense.

This is a quote from it...

"4. With schools heading back on 8 March why are we not vaccinating teachers as a priority?

Prof Van-Tam said the UK is vaccinating as a priority the people who have the highest risk of dying from COVID-19.

He says once that is done, the country will vaccinate those at the highest risk of being hospitalised with COVID.

He said data shows for teachers of both sexes the rate of death between 9 March and 28 December 2020 has been 18.4/100,000 for men and 9.8/100,000 for women.

If you compare that with the same age and sex population, the figures are lower than those - 31.4/100,000 for men and 16.8/100,000 for women.

"It is clear there is no excess mortality overall in teachers," he said, adding that any teachers who are at risk will be "picked up" by the JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation) and vaccinated faster"

South

"Still think it's crazy not to vaccinate all teachers and adult school workers first before sending kids back.

It's an interesting point and until reading this article on sky this morning I agreed. But the article explains and it seems to make sense.

"4. With schools heading back on 8 March why are we not vaccinating teachers as a priority?

Prof Van-Tam said the UK is vaccinating as a priority the people who have the highest risk of dying from COVID-19.

He says once that is done, the country will vaccinate those at the highest risk of being hospitalised with COVID.

He said data shows for teachers of both sexes the rate of death between 9 March and 28 December 2020 has been 18.4/100,000 for men and 9.8/100,000 for women.

If you compare that with the same age and sex population, the figures are lower than those - 31.4/100,000 for men and 16.8/100,000 for women.

"It is clear there is no excess mortality overall in teachers," he said, adding that any teachers who are at risk will be "picked up" by the JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation) and vaccinated faster""

There is other research which illustrates data that shows teachers are at higher risk. I personally know 10 that have been hospitalised - 3 needing a vent. Only one has underlying and all are under 50. The unions are collecting ‘real’ data that doesn’t support this view.

Tin town

"Still think it's crazy not to vaccinate all teachers and adult school workers first before sending kids back.

"It is clear there is no excess mortality overall in teachers," he said, adding that any teachers who are at risk will be "picked up" by the JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation) and vaccinated faster"

There is other research which illustrates data that shows teachers are at higher risk. I personally know 10 that have been hospitalised - 3 needing a vent. Only one has underlying and all are under 50. The unions are collecting ‘real’ data that doesn’t support this view. "

I guess like most "facts" pertaining to this situation you can pick a scientist and find very differing data / analysis. How you find the "right" one out of all of the science heaven knows.

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

As someone who works in a school, I do have a lot of respect for Jonathan Van-Tam but he's twisting words here. Teachers have the same mortality rate when we look at how many who are infected die....what he's not telling us is that in November and December, secondary school teachers in Britain had double the infection rate of the wider population.

"children are only mildly affected" they keep telling us. And that is true. But what they keep leaving out is that the "Kent variant" is more likely to infect children than the "regular covid". The kids probably won't get very sick, but by the time it's picked up via testing those kids will pass it onto adults at home or on the bus.

Normally I work in a large school in London, with 1300 kids and around 200 staff. That's a lot of people. I take two trains and a bus *each way* to get there from Luton. If I pick up covid from a child who's asymptomatic, firstly it could affect me badly or even kill me. But secondly, even wearing a mask I could pass it onto people on public transport (by November there was *no* distancing, rammed buses and trains). I'd probably bring it back to Luton to my wife. Who might pass it onto people she works with who think they're safe because they're a small bubble of five people working locally. I might pass it onto the vulnerable people I've been doing grocery and chemist runs for - though they've all been vaccinated so it's less likely. But the wider point is that school staff *are* likely to take infections acquired at school home with them. And these days most staff no longer live round the corner from the school. Mine come from all over London, Luton, Aylesbury, even Milton Keynes and Kent. It's a wonderful opportunity for the virus.

So I do support vaccinating all school staff, not just teachers. I'm a science technician and I don't even have the luxury of a bubble. I get to work with *all* the kids. But other professions are in a similar position too. Police officers, supermarket workers, and so on. The first phase was absolutely right to concentrate on those most likely to get very ill or die. But now we need to look forward at transmission, in my humble opinion. And all the research worldwide shows that this virus is most readily transmitted by groups of people inside, not practising social distancing - exactly what you get in a school class room. Not a single beach gathering worldwide caused a covid outbreak. Not a single march or protest. But politicians meeting indoors, people holding parties, people having clandestine personal meetings, hairdressers illegally visiting clients homes...have all caused outbreaks. The two common factors are close contact indoors.

Regarding bringing in volunteers to do school covid testing, you can't just bring anyone in. Even volunteers either need a current DBS or must be observed at all times by a regular member of staff. Same goes for anyone hired from an outside company/agency.

Tin town

"As someone who works in a school, I do have a lot of respect for Jonathan Van-Tam but he's twisting words here. Teachers have the same mortality rate when we look at how many who are infected die....what he's not telling us is that in November and December, secondary school teachers in Britain had double the infection rate of the wider population.

"children are only mildly affected" they keep telling us. And that is true. But what they keep leaving out is that the "Kent variant" is more likely to infect children than the "regular covid". The kids probably won't get very sick, but by the time it's picked up via testing those kids will pass it onto adults at home or on the bus.

Normally I work in a large school in London, with 1300 kids and around 200 staff. That's a lot of people. I take two trains and a bus *each way* to get there from Luton. If I pick up covid from a child who's asymptomatic, firstly it could affect me badly or even kill me. But secondly, even wearing a mask I could pass it onto people on public transport (by November there was *no* distancing, rammed buses and trains). I'd probably bring it back to Luton to my wife. Who might pass it onto people she works with who think they're safe because they're a small bubble of five people working locally. I might pass it onto the vulnerable people I've been doing grocery and chemist runs for - though they've all been vaccinated so it's less likely. But the wider point is that school staff *are* likely to take infections acquired at school home with them. And these days most staff no longer live round the corner from the school. Mine come from all over London, Luton, Aylesbury, even Milton Keynes and Kent. It's a wonderful opportunity for the virus.

So I do support vaccinating all school staff, not just teachers. I'm a science technician and I don't even have the luxury of a bubble. I get to work with *all* the kids. But other professions are in a similar position too. Police officers, supermarket workers, and so on. The first phase was absolutely right to concentrate on those most likely to get very ill or die. But now we need to look forward at transmission, in my humble opinion. And all the research worldwide shows that this virus is most readily transmitted by groups of people inside, not practising social distancing - exactly what you get in a school class room. Not a single beach gathering worldwide caused a covid outbreak. Not a single march or protest. But politicians meeting indoors, people holding parties, people having clandestine personal meetings, hairdressers illegally visiting clients homes...have all caused outbreaks. The two common factors are close contact indoors.

Regarding bringing in volunteers to do school covid testing, you can't just bring anyone in. Even volunteers either need a current DBS or must be observed at all times by a regular member of staff. Same goes for anyone hired from an outside company/agency. "

Great Post.

Has your school been open for the last few months?

midlands

The same issue with this party

Always slow to implement ideas.

Knew testing kids was the way forward why wasnt this implemented a few weeks ago.

Same with ppe and locking down ports and airports and the use of masks etc

I've just read this, a diary entry from a (then) 7 yr old in 1941. He attended a local school, it kind of puts into perspective the thoughts on testing the kids in school today:

This was wartime. The school wass all male (Miss ******* probably taught in the prep as many masters were at war). We had a huge underground air raid shelter under the school playground (between buildings). We had gas masks and gas mask 'drill' which involved entering a van which was filled with gas.

Luton

"

Great Post.

Has your school been open for the last few months? "

We've been open to kids of key workers and vulnerable families. I've been working from home and called in just once to supervise two children in accessing their distance learning. We're set up really well for remote learning - I set up most of the MS Teams groups for the entire school

My own situation is slightly complicated by the fact that I was very recently diagnosed with a condition that potentially puts me at specific risk from covid, hence getting the jab a couple of days ago. I'm actually about to have a remote meeting with my manager about when I return - hoping we can delay my return to mid March when the jab will have taken effect. I will feel then that there's far less risk to me, and that I pose far less risk to others.

By *antasy Explorers 1313Couple  over a year ago

A place where others reside (nr Oxford)

It's happening with us. We've been warned to expect a staggered start to the first week, students will have to be tested three times in the first week and then twice weekly after that.

Think it's a positive step. The silver lining is they are going back

Southampton

"The same issue with this party

Always slow to implement ideas.

Knew testing kids was the way forward why wasnt this implemented a few weeks ago.

Same with ppe and locking down ports and airports and the use of masks etc"

Why wasn't it implemented when they first went back to school before 2nd lockdown?

South

"As someone who works in a school, I do have a lot of respect for Jonathan Van-Tam but he's twisting words here. Teachers have the same mortality rate when we look at how many who are infected die....what he's not telling us is that in November and December, secondary school teachers in Britain had double the infection rate of the wider population.

Regarding bringing in volunteers to do school covid testing, you can't just bring anyone in. Even volunteers either need a current DBS or must be observed at all times by a regular member of staff. Same goes for anyone hired from an outside company/agency. "

Need an applause icon here!!! Exactly

"

He actually said schools can start going back on the 8th. Secondly schools will need to have a testing program in place before all pupils can return.

"

They will almost certainly will have a system where they want contact you unless it's positive.

"Still think it's crazy not to vaccinate all teachers and adult school workers first before sending kids back. "

Problem is your looking at about 3 million people if you cover all education/childcare settings and all staff.

I feel sad for all the various groups that are all equally in need of getting the vaccine, especially those that don't have the benefit of having a public figure fighting their cause.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

"

Oh, nice bit of back pedaling there.... well saved

midlands

Its not back peddaling, if they had a date and teachers are in school anyway and kids at home why couldnt they test them the days before the 8th.

They have almost 3 weeks.

South

"Its not back peddaling, if they had a date and teachers are in school anyway and kids at home why couldnt they test them the days before the 8th.

They have almost 3 weeks."

Teachers are teaching key worker kids the week before - how can they do 2 things at once? Or do they tell the ICU nurse her kids can’t come to school as people working from home want their kids in school.

On a mooch

"Its not back peddaling, if they had a date and teachers are in school anyway and kids at home why couldnt they test them the days before the 8th.

They have almost 3 weeks.

Teachers are teaching key worker kids the week before - how can they do 2 things at once? Or do they tell the ICU nurse her kids can’t come to school as people working from home want their kids in school. "

The first thing they need to do is gather consent from the parents that they agree to the testing, that takes time and collating.

Those that will oversee the tests need to be trained to talk the children through the process

It’s a huge undertaking to test all children secondary school and above, plus staff twice a week, procedures need to be put in place

Luton

The government mandated testing procedures for schools list seven separate roles that need to be fulfilled. You have different people greeting/instructing those being tested.... people putting swabs into the LFT device, another reading and recording results, another reporting results to both the people who were tested and to the gvt and a person overseeing everything.

It's all quite complicated and needs lots of people if the school is doing something like mass testing in the gym with several testing stations.

Because presumably, if an independent company carried out the tests it would most likely fall on the school to fund it. Schools financed are stretched through underfunding as it is, without further expense."

and they would need to get them all through disclosure checks - that would delay past 8th march to get that in place for all schools

" S o I do support vaccinating all school staff, not just teachers. I'm a science technician and I don't even have the luxury of a bubble. I get to work with *all* the kids. But other professions are in a similar position too. Police officers, supermarket workers, and so on. The first phase was absolutely right to concentrate on those most likely to get very ill or die. But now we need to look forward at transmission, "

is the problem not that what you describe as first phase is actually broken down into multiple phases and we aren’t finished yet so we are not ready to look forward at transmission

- so far we have got the people most likely to die

- we have then started on the people most likely to get seriously ill

- it might well be that teachers, police, supermarket workers come next but we haven’t gotten there yet we don’t know , but we do know that we wont be ready for the next phase by 8th march and you yourself have admitted there are still people reasonably in the queue before you

"

Are the school not open to start testing on the 8th...so technically the school is open. would you take the kids to school on the weekend to get tested so that they could start 9am Monday 8th? Secondary are taking much more precautions than primary so maybe there will be slight delays for the 1st week or so.. just.so glad mine are.going back.. just had teacher consultations.. have given myself a pat on the back and rewarded myself with a purchase of new.golf clubs.

By *roop69Man  over a year ago

St Columb Major

"Glad to see a school trying to protect there staff from covid "
my school has done everything to protect its staff I’ve felt safe going in

Tin town

"The government mandated testing procedures for schools list seven separate roles that need to be fulfilled. You have different people greeting/instructing those being tested.... people putting swabs into the LFT device, another reading and recording results, another reporting results to both the people who were tested and to the gvt and a person overseeing everything.

It's all quite complicated and needs lots of people if the school is doing something like mass testing in the gym with several testing stations.

"

Not seen the process but I'm guessing that they've done there best to communicate as much detail in the process as they can as we have seen from these many threads.. Some schools and teachers are great at being self sufficient and problem solving and some need a bit more help and guidance.

With process design... There may be multiple roles defined but that doesn't necessarily mean people... One person can I'm guessing fulfil multiple roles. Now I'm not saying it's easy but I'm saying if we all work together parents, pupils, staff we can do a great job and get through this.

Luton

No, there are seven defined roles each must be performed by an individual. If multiple testing stations are set up, some of these roles need to be duplicated for reach station.

The South

Am I reading that right?

E

Mind blowing isn’t it "

Every day I find something new to roll my eyes at.

E

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"

Why the rant? Sensible head teacher you have.

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple  over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"

Why can't they just send the test kits home before 8th March so that anyone testing positive doesn't come to school on the 8th. Simples

On a mooch

Why can't they just send the test kits home before 8th March so that anyone testing positive doesn't come to school on the 8th. Simples"

How do you teach and supervise the children to administer the test if you do that?

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

My local school are testing in school from March 8th for a week, after that it is home testing kits.

Yep just got the text.

Daughter signed up to nhs track n trace.

Hope it's the start of freedom

Why can't they just send the test kits home before 8th March so that anyone testing positive doesn't come to school on the 8th. Simples

How do you teach and supervise the children to administer the test if you do that? "

It's very simple to do.

Everything is difficult at first try. This could be the norm soon for all.

Gotta think positive

Tin town

How do you teach and supervise the children to administer the test if you do that? "

Primary is different to secondary... And let's not forget the unis either...

But it's sticking a qtip up your nose.... Kids are pretty adept at that... My sons school will show the kids how to do it the "scientific way" and then they will do it themselves. And if they are as good at that as they have been throughout, they will do a great job.

On a mooch

How do you teach and supervise the children to administer the test if you do that?

It's very simple to do.

Everything is difficult at first try. This could be the norm soon for all.

Gotta think positive "

Oh I am, this was in relation to all the kids doing it home instead of at school for the first time.

My lad and I had our first test this week so now know what to do and how, for many though this will be their first experience

On a mooch

Primary is different to secondary... And let's not forget the unis either...

But it's sticking a qtip up your nose.... Kids are pretty adept at that... My sons school will show the kids how to do it the "scientific way" and then they will do it themselves. And if they are as good at that as they have been throughout, they will do a great job. "

This is what I meant, the kids need to be shown how first rather than just send all the kits home before the 8th as was suggested

By *ev_1Couple  over a year ago

Bickliegh

"Would have like to have seen all teachers vaccinated before kids go back."
well said especially when you see alot of parents not social distancing and picking up other kids for birthday parties yes it's still going on

oldham

Why can't they just send the test kits home before 8th March so that anyone testing positive doesn't come to school on the 8th. Simples"

And you'd trust ALL parents to do the testing and be transparent and honest?

Staffordshire Moorlands

Not quite so simple, as schools do not have the home tests kits as they haven't been delivered yet. And 'send them home' with who? If the kids aren't in school there is no one to send them home with and would be a logistical nightmare delivering 1000 home testing kits by hand.

I think the schools have got it spot on, doing their best to keep staff and students as safe as possible.

By *irginieWoman  over a year ago

Near Marlborough

"We are awaiting full details, rules have been issued, guidelines of what to expect. Consent forms being gathered this week, testing timetable being issued next week to cover the first three tests over 10 days.

"

I think there is a lot to rant about at the moment but I don’t think this is rant worthy. This is exactly how my daughter’s school is doing it. Although my daughter is very scared of the test she has said she will do it and I’ve signed the consent form. Now they will organise some sort of timetable of tests.

V x

South

"Would have like to have seen all teachers vaccinated before kids go back.well said especially when you see alot of parents not social distancing and picking up other kids for birthday parties yes it's still going on "

Doing zoom lessons and three are in the same house on the same laptop

By *inkylonglegTVTV/TS  over a year ago

Devizes

The school my brothers kids go to are starting testing next week ie before so they will be ready to go on the 8th. It’s a 20minute slot they are given, yes they will miss some online lesson time. But to me it is well organised. I guess it really depends on the school and how organised they want to be

By *evensnipeMan  over a year ago

Rhyl

Fed up of people’s “oh it’s not fair’ attitude. FFS our parents and grandparents survived all sorts of privations and had it much worse. The current generation of parents school attendees seem totally unaware of the concept of sacrifice for the common good.

My (and every other family) had it bad growing up, with WW1, no penicillin, Spanish Flu, Typhoid, Smallpox, Polio, Measles, WW2, no NHS, no paracetamol no paramedics....

Stop whinging people and be grateful that your school is doing the right thing for your community. My daughter is 27 years old, a teacher in Peimary Education and has had 3/4s of a lung removed due to cancer at aged 20. She has worked so bloody hard for kids at her school and is doing her Madters degree whilst working. She had 13 tumours removed during the last summer holiday and has yet to miss a day off work. STOP MOANNG , you don’t know how lucky you are to be alive.

By *evensnipeMan  over a year ago

Rhyl

Fed up of people’s “oh it’s not fair’ attitude. FFS our parents and grandparents survived all sorts of privations and had it much worse. The current generation of parents school attendees seem totally unaware of the concept of sacrifice for the common good.

My (and every other family) had it bad growing up, with WW1, no penicillin, Spanish Flu, Typhoid, Smallpox, Polio, Measles, WW2, no NHS, no paracetamol no paramedics....

Stop being selfish and whinging people and be grateful that your school is doing the right thing for your community. My daughter is 27 years old, a teacher in Primary Education and she had 3/4s of a lung removed due to cancer at aged 20. She has worked so bloody hard for kids at her school and is doing her Masters degree whilst working. She had 13 tumours removed during the last summer holiday and has yet to miss a day off work. STOP MOANNG , you don’t know how lucky you are to be alive.

Luton

"Would have like to have seen all teachers vaccinated before kids go back.well said especially when you see alot of parents not social distancing and picking up other kids for birthday parties yes it's still going on "

When the school I work for went back in September there was a rule about parents dropping off kids.... No closer than 200m form the school entrance. By November they were dropping their kids off right outside, congregating and so on. Fortunately we have friendly, local police community support officers who were able to encourage people to distance but it shows how behaviour quickly deteriorated.

On a mooch

"We are awaiting full details, rules have been issued, guidelines of what to expect. Consent forms being gathered this week, testing timetable being issued next week to cover the first three tests over 10 days.

I think there is a lot to rant about at the moment but I don’t think this is rant worthy. This is exactly how my daughter’s school is doing it. Although my daughter is very scared of the test she has said she will do it and I’ve signed the consent form. Now they will organise some sort of timetable of tests.

V x "

Completely understand your daughter’s feelings, my son was the same, so many questions and more the unknown of what they do, how far do they go in.

This week however he was sent for a covid test by the GP (to rule it out) so that has helped with his apprehension of what to expect, as now done it once. He was talked through the test and did it himself in front of a mirror, he has now told his mates what to expect, how it might feel. Heard from a couple of mums the kids have been practising with cotton buds to get used to the sensations.

Why are they testing.

Even the W.H.O.have admitted 70% of tests are false positive, so a waste of time. Is it just a PR stunt or to help remove the fear the government been pumping into everyone for the last year.

"Why are they testing.

Even the W.H.O.have admitted 70% of tests are false positive, so a waste of time. Is it just a PR stunt or to help remove the fear the government been pumping into everyone for the last year. "

That still leaves 30% that could potentially go around spreading the virus that are picked up. Or are you advocating schools return with zero testing?

Tin town

V x

Completely understand your daughter’s feelings, my son was the same, so many questions and more the unknown of what they do, how far do they go in.

This week however he was sent for a covid test by the GP (to rule it out) so that has helped with his apprehension of what to expect, as now done it once. He was talked through the test and did it himself in front of a mirror, he has now told his mates what to expect, how it might feel. Heard from a couple of mums the kids have been practising with cotton buds to get used to the sensations. "

And that's the main point. I know there are some kids with special needs etc but by and large our kids are much more capable and more resilient than we give them credit for. Its the parents that need to be a bit more capable and resilient in many cases. And whilst in these threads there seem to be a few teachers who are struggling or reluctant. My experience of teachers across 3 counties so far is they are happy to do what is needed to get back to their normal teaching methods which they are more comfortable with. My issue has been with the dreadfully inconsistent quality of remote learning which in some cases has been excellent and in some has been non existent. Thankfully getting back to classroom teaching should address that.

Meanwhile what about uni students?

"Why are they testing.

Even the W.H.O.have admitted 70% of tests are false positive, so a waste of time. Is it just a PR stunt or to help remove the fear the government been pumping into everyone for the last year.

That still leaves 30% that could potentially go around spreading the virus that are picked up. Or are you advocating schools return with zero testing?"

No point if you don't know if the results are right,you're ok go to school might be wrong or you're positive go home and nothing wrong with them just saying.

"Why are they testing.

That still leaves 30% that could potentially go around spreading the virus that are picked up. Or are you advocating schools return with zero testing?No point if you don't know if the results are right,you're ok go to school might be wrong or you're positive go home and nothing wrong with them just saying. "

So you think return without any testing... Or?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Why are they testing.

Even the W.H.O.have admitted 70% of tests are false positive, so a waste of time. Is it just a PR stunt or to help remove the fear the government been pumping into everyone for the last year. "

What's your source for 70% false positive?

Because that looks like nonsense on stilts

midlands

My kids have spoken to their friends and there is alot that are not taking the test.

The South

"Why are they testing.

Two answers to your two questions.

1) The false positives are from non professionals doing the testing. Non professionals not swabbing enough material, or miss-handling the sample, genearraly not taking the sample correctly.

2) No

E

On a mooch

"Why are they testing.

That still leaves 30% that could potentially go around spreading the virus that are picked up. Or are you advocating schools return with zero testing?No point if you don't know if the results are right,you're ok go to school might be wrong or you're positive go home and nothing wrong with them just saying. "

What you are saying would work with adults to who go to work. A false positive is better than a false negative. If a child tests positive they then have to have another test later that day to confirm, so this should pick up false positives. Society has to start moving again, children need to get back to school and if that means mass testing then so be it.

Tin town

"My kids have spoken to their friends and there is alot that are not taking the test.

"

And all of mine are.. His comment... "its a no brainer and we want to get back to school and see eachother"...

Im sure some will not... And some will... And as long as we are all doing the best that we can do... Then that's the best that we can do.

Standard practice I think for secondary schools

Very sensible

Tin town

"Why are they testing.

That still leaves 30% that could potentially go around spreading the virus that are picked up. Or are you advocating schools return with zero testing?No point if you don't know if the results are right,you're ok go to school might be wrong or you're positive go home and nothing wrong with them just saying.

What you are saying would work with adults to who go to work. A false positive is better than a false negative. If a child tests positive they then have to have another test later that day to confirm, so this should pick up false positives. Society has to start moving again, children need to get back to school and if that means mass testing then so be it. "

But but but what if... I don't wanna, some people won't do it... Some people can't do it... I saw someone dip it in their dogs mouth and it came back positive... I'll only do it if I get paid for it.. Why should I...can't someone else do it for me.. Ad nauseum.

On a mooch

"My kids have spoken to their friends and there is alot that are not taking the test.

And all of mine are.. His comment... "its a no brainer and we want to get back to school and see eachother"...

Im sure some will not... And some will... And as long as we are all doing the best that we can do... Then that's the best that we can do. "

That’s how my lad and his mates see it, one they get back to school and get to see each other; and two, for those that see their families it is giving them a little bit of piece of mind that they currently don’t have the virus so not passing it on unwillingly.

Tin town

Well also... Let's not forget the role of the parent in this... I mean they might not want to eat their greens or do their homework either but it's our job to grow them to be the best they can be... So we should be making sure they test and do it properly.

"take your medicine.. It will make you better"

"Well also... Let's not forget the role of the parent in this... I mean they might not want to eat their greens or do their homework either but it's our job to grow them to be the best they can be... So we should be making sure they test and do it properly.

"take your medicine.. It will make you better" "

Agree

Just hope the parents lead by example. Have tests themselves and the vaccine when offered.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Well also... Let's not forget the role of the parent in this... I mean they might not want to eat their greens or do their homework either but it's our job to grow them to be the best they can be... So we should be making sure they test and do it properly.

"take your medicine.. It will make you better" "

I had a school related health scare (exposure) when I was ten. Had to have a blood test.

Mum said to me (and my younger siblings who were also exposed) "there's a small chance you were exposed to a poison during (event/exposure). The doctor needs to look at your blood to see if you need medicine". (I don't know as an adult what medicine would be available for that, but... we got the all clear)

On a mooch

"take your medicine.. It will make you better"

Agree

Just hope the parents lead by example. Have tests themselves and the vaccine when offered."

Agree with both of the above. My lad was booked in for a test earlier this week, I had to accompany him. As I was there they offered me the test, which I took and we went through the process together. He will be the last in the family to have the vaccine, when it is finally available

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

"My kids have spoken to their friends and there is alot that are not taking the test."

Why on earth won't people take the test? Our daughter's school has had to ask each family for consent, which is a complete waste of time and resources. The tests should be a compulsory part of returning to school.

We are on the ONS random testing programme and the tests are so easy our daughter looks forward to them as she gets paid a small amount in Amazon vouchers for doing them. One of us also works in a setting which requires two lateral flow tests a week.

Why on earth won't people take the test? Our daughter's school has had to ask each family for consent, which is a complete waste of time and resources. The tests should be a compulsory part of returning to school.

We are on the ONS random testing programme and the tests are so easy our daughter looks forward to them as she gets paid a small amount in Amazon vouchers for doing them. One of us also works in a setting which requires two lateral flow tests a week."

The ONS survey is so critical to future planning of Covid- so many people do not realise they are asymptomatic carriers - that’s why weekly tests will be necessary in schools

On a mooch

We are on the ONS random testing programme and the tests are so easy our daughter looks forward to them as she gets paid a small amount in Amazon vouchers for doing them. One of us also works in a setting which requires two lateral flow tests a week."

It is a voluntary process and no one is forcing anyone to have a test, hence consent is needed.

On a mooch

I’ll add this is what I and my child had to consent to

Terms of consent

1. I have had the opportunity to consider the information provided by the school/college about the testing, ask questions and have had these answered satisfactorily, based on the information presented in the letter dated 24th February.

2. In the case of under 16s, I have discussed the testing with my child and my child is happy to participate. If on the day of testing they do not wish to take part, then they will not be made to do so and consent can be withdrawn at any time ahead of the test.

3. I consent to having / my child having a nose and throat swab for lateral flow tests. I / my child will self-swab if I / my child is able to otherwise I understand that assistance is available. In the case of under 16s or pupils who are not able to provide informed consent, I have discussed the testing with my child and they are happy to participate and self-swab (with assistance if required).

4. I understand that there will be three tests required and this consent covers all tests for the below named person. If, on the day of testing I / they do not wish to take part, then I understand I / they will not be made to do so and that consent can be withdrawn at any time ahead of the test.

5. I consent that my / my child’s sample(s) will be tested for the presence of COVID-19.

6. I understand that if my /my child’s result(s) are negative on the lateral flow test I will not be contacted by the school/college except where I am / they are a close contact of a confirmed positive.

7. If the lateral flow test indicates the presence of COVID-19, I consent to having / my child having a nose and throat swab for confirmatory PCR testing. I/they will follow the instructions on the PCR Kit to return the test the same day to an NHS Test & Trace laboratory.

8. If the lateral flow test indicates the presence of COVID-19, I commit to ensuring that I / my child is removed from school premises as promptly as possible, bearing in mind I / they may have some anxiety following a positive test result.

9. I consent that I / they will need to self-isolate following a positive lateral flow test result, until the results of the confirmatory PCR have been received.

10. I agree that if my / my child’s test results are confirmed to be positive from this PCR test, I will report this to the school / college and I understand that I/ my child will be required to self- isolate following public health advice.

11. I consent that if a close contact of my child tests positive but I / my child has tested negative, I / they will ensure they self-isolate for the necessary length of time.

As you can see consent for testing can be withdrawn at anytime, which I don’t expect to do, but some might.

Tin town

Yes sometimes we do like to make the simple things complicated.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Our school is having kids in at predetermined times at the end of next week for testing prior to their return on the 8th.

Cal

On a mooch

"Our school is having kids in at predetermined times at the end of next week for testing prior to their return on the 8th.

Cal"

Ours are being done set times 8/9th and all return on 10th.

By *eachSchnappsCouple  over a year ago

somewhere where the sun is always shining

[Removed by poster at 26/02/21 23:30:16]

By *eachSchnappsCouple  over a year ago

somewhere where the sun is always shining

You do realise that for some schools the plan is for children to do the tests at home hence why the children are being supervised to do the tests themselves at school.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Our children's school is doing exactly the same

On a mooch

"You do realise that for some schools the plan is for children to do the tests at home hence why the children are being supervised to do the tests themselves at school."

Yes the first three at school, after that to be carried out at home

» Add a new message to this topic