FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Jab

Jab

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

If your not classed as vulnerable would you give up your jab till summer if it went to front line workers or teachers?

I would,ive got this far without getting covid so yes give my jab to a police officer

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *incskittenWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

No i wouldnt .

Does that make me selfish?

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

I'm 52...front line workers are already ahead of me anyway.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"No i wouldnt .

Does that make me selfish? "

Not at all....I was asking because they announced over 40s to get jab before teachers and front line workers

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes (I can keep hiding), but I'm not sure it'd make a difference, I'm 35.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

I wouldn't give it up to a teacher, most are young and healthy and I don't think there is any evidence of high transmission in schools. Front line workers, maybe if they are in danger of getting the virus.

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

"No i wouldnt .

Not at all....I was asking because they announced over 40s to get jab before teachers and front line workers "

No they didn't. They're carrying on with the original policy of vaccinating by age and underlying health conditions/frontline staff. Frontline workers have had vaccinations. Everyone will get theirs according to age group

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think the only change has been to learning difficulties people because Jo Wiley was offered the jab before her sister... hang on how old is Jo Wiley?

"I think the only change has been to learning difficulties people because Jo Wiley was offered the jab before her sister... hang on how old is Jo Wiley? "

Learning difficulties was already in group 6 but the problem was a lot of GP surgeries didn't prioritise people in that group unless it was considered a severe learning disability so I think it was made clear that it was anyone who was registered as having a learning disability.

"I think the only change has been to learning difficulties people because Jo Wiley was offered the jab before her sister... hang on how old is Jo Wiley? "

She is 55 but we don't know if she has one of the under lying conditions that would have also put her in group 6.

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"No i wouldnt .

Does that make me selfish? "

No x

"I think the only change has been to learning difficulties people because Jo Wiley was offered the jab before her sister... hang on how old is Jo Wiley?

She is 55 but we don't know if she has one of the under lying conditions that would have also put her in group 6. "

Ah fair point

By *incskittenWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

I'm 51 ,had a call from my doctors surgery earlier , having my jab next week .

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Yes I'd give mine up, might stop some of them bleating on about how they should be prioritised (which I do agree with).

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I'd happily give mine up, I actually think that those in the least at risk groups maybe shouldn't be vaccinated.

Maybe the surplus could be distributed to those more needy (either here or abroad) or used to provide annual top ups (as has been strongly hinted will be required).

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

I now know lots of people that are turning up on spec and getting vaccinated at a few local health centres.

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

There are many groups so that can all claim priority for a variety of different reasons that they should be first.... I’m Spartacus!!!!!! Given the pace at which this seems to be being rolled out, does it really matter here???

As I understand this most of the risk seems to be around of age so seems sensible to stick with this as the guiding principle??

R xx

By *endulum 20Couple  over a year ago

sandy

[Removed by poster at 26/02/21 20:48:40]

By *lipy123TV/TS  over a year ago

Birmingham

It's not like we have a choice

By *entGent75Man  over a year ago

Dartford

I'd take it. I have to be tested twice a week now for work but since March 2020 i have had to carry on meeting face to face, social distancing, most people i've met still don't get it and don't do it without being reminded (more than once). I need to protect myself, my family and others so yes please, i am more than ready for mine.

No I wouldn't

"I'd happily give mine up, I actually think that those in the least at risk groups maybe shouldn't be vaccinated.

Maybe the surplus could be distributed to those more needy (either here or abroad) or used to provide annual top ups (as has been strongly hinted will be required)."

I know people under 40 with no underlying health issues that have long covid.

We actually don't know who is a risk of having serious side effects from covid. Not dying doesn't necessarily mean full recovery.

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

"I wouldn't give it up to a teacher, most are young and healthy and I don't think there is any evidence of high transmission in schools. Front line workers, maybe if they are in danger of getting the virus."

In November and December the infection rates among teachers in England were double the average.

Think of all the staff in a school, teachers, classroom assistants, technicians, cleaners, caterers, office staff....we all get exposed to the kids and then take home whatever we pick up.

"I wouldn't give it up to a teacher, most are young and healthy and I don't think there is any evidence of high transmission in schools. Front line workers, maybe if they are in danger of getting the virus.

In November and December the infection rates among teachers in England were double the average.

Think of all the staff in a school, teachers, classroom assistants, technicians, cleaners, caterers, office staff....we all get exposed to the kids and then take home whatever we pick up.

"

Not according to the office of national statistics.

Luton

I've worked in a large secondary school for 21 years. I was 26 when I started, and was told that I'd have lots of sick days during my first term (September 1999 to December). "The children go to lots of exotic places in the summer, and bring back exotic diseases. After a year your immune system will be able to handle anything".

Teachers and other school staff are generally a resilient lots when it comes to illness because we are exposed to every cold, flu, virus, bacteria going. Heck, as a science technician I mess about with e-coli and other cultures in my lab. I've had 10 sick days in 21 years. But this virus is new. Nobody had immunity 12 months ago.

The problem is not so much "teachers are young and probably won't die". The problem is one of transmission. The Kent variant of covid spreads among secondary school age kids. They don't get sick but it spreads. The kids take it home on the bus and spread it there, and to their families. They spread it to us staff, who take it home to our families. THese days school staff don't tend to live round the corner from the school either, nor do the kids. I work in London. I take two trains and a London bus each way (so 4 trains, 2 buses every day). By November they were rammed, with very patchy adherence to mask wearing. I live in Luton, with my wife who works locally in a small office. My colleagues are from all across London, as well as north Kent, Aylesbury and even Milton Keynes. The worry is more that covid will be spread rather than teachers will die....though this notion that we're all young isn't true. Just in the science department I work in, we have a mix of ages from twenties to 60.

Other professions I'd be curious to see the transmission risk are things like police officers, supermarket workers.

I totally support the gvt's strategy of first vaccinating those most vulnerable in groups 1-4. But I do question now if it might be better to look into professions and risk of spreading covid. The reasoning behind not doing so seems to be that it's too much effort rather than it can't be done.

The statistics in April will be interesting after the schools have been back a month.

For God sake. People with a lot more knowledge and intelligence are responsible for prioritisation which is based on risk... age, employment, health. Take the vaccine when offered- it will be your turn!

Luton

"For God sake. People with a lot more knowledge and intelligence are responsible for prioritisation which is based on risk... age, employment, health. Take the vaccine when offered- it will be your turn! "

My ex boss has 25 years experience in microbiology and medical research. He's still in touch with people doing the cutting edge research on covid transmission today. I take what he says with a good deal of trust.

His view, from talking to the people carrying out the research into how this virus spreads, is pretty much what I explained above...with the addition that being inside, without social distancing and without lots of ventilation is the perfect way to spread this virus....bit like a school classroom...

"I'm 51 ,had a call from my doctors surgery earlier , having my jab next week ."

Same here....jab on Monday. Some areas are obviously ahead of the game.

Don't see why teachers/police etc should jump the queue. Health workers/NHS staff yes...they are already done. But how do you differentiate anyone who is still working and meeting the public throughout? (Which includes me btw). The complications of picking who and what jobs etc would just slow things down. Keep it simple and lets get it done....It's a committee of health experts who set the order...not the government anyway.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"If your not classed as vulnerable would you give up your jab till summer if it went to front line workers or teachers?

I would,ive got this far without getting covid so yes give my jab to a police officer "

N they are just trying to jump the que and if you give it up you do not decide who gets it anyway so a pointless gesture.

To be honest I think police should get it but teachers no way nasty selfish lot

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"For God sake. People with a lot more knowledge and intelligence are responsible for prioritisation which is based on risk... age, employment, health. Take the vaccine when offered- it will be your turn! "

I would of thought so yes but now since I've got covid I'm thinking differently because I've heard of people 9 months down the line still not feeling 100% better after having covid and I don't want to be left like that.

It seems to be going on coming with me. A couple of days ago I felt perfect and now it's come back. Funny fucking thing it is.

Luton

"

To be honest I think police should get it but teachers no way nasty selfish lot"

Thank you for your kind words. I shall pass them on to all my colleagues who have been streaming live lessons from home during both lockdowns, as well as writing worksheets and presentations to email to the kids.

Good to know my work in setting up the remote learning for 1300 kids across all subjects is valued too.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"If your not classed as vulnerable would you give up your jab till summer if it went to front line workers or teachers?

I would,ive got this far without getting covid so yes give my jab to a police officer N they are just trying to jump the que and if you give it up you do not decide who gets it anyway so a pointless gesture.

To be honest I think police should get it but teachers no way nasty selfish lot"

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

"

Thank you for your kind words. I shall pass them on to all my colleagues who have been streaming live lessons from home during both lockdowns, as well as writing worksheets and presentations to email to the kids.

Good to know my work in setting up the remote learning for 1300 kids across all subjects is valued too."

Teachers have done a great job here .. and anyone who has done home schooling (well those that could have been bothered ) will testify to how hard it is ... BUT ....

Many other vocations will make similar very valid arguments for their prioritisation also ... not everyone can be a priority so given there is Easter hols, and half term are on the horizon given the pace at which vaccines are being rolled out .. just be patient and get in line - with all the other COVID heroes!

R x

Teachers should of been offered the vaccine and been given time for it to take effect prior to opening

"Teachers should of been offered the vaccine and been given time for it to take effect prior to opening "

So if teacher's should be given time off until the vaccine is effective you are looking at another 12 to 15 weeks before schools could go back assuming all teachers would be vaccinated within the next week. That would also have meant that if that was the case no keyworker children would be able to go into school either. Teaching staff are no more at risk than the general working population.

If we are going by occupations that are the most at risk more taxi and bus drivers have been hospitalised and died than teachers so should they all take time off to have a vaccine?

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"

Good to know my work in setting up the remote learning for 1300 kids across all subjects is valued too."

We in education know we're doing a sterling job and I know my students are very grateful and pleased with the provision. They're just peeved we in HE have to wait till April for more news...

By *osmocoupleMan  over a year ago

East Sussex

I didn't realise til I was called that I'm eligible because of my weight. Silver lining I suppose

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

Absolute nonsense fella get with the programme. The self imposed researchers, experts and statisticians of fabswingers will let you and the powers that be,,,, know who and when

"No i wouldnt .

Not at all....I was asking because they announced over 40s to get jab before teachers and front line workers "

The thing is though, the 40-49 age group (combined with the already 50+ group) will catch a huge swathe of teachers, police officers etc anyway.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I would,ive got this far without getting covid so yes give my jab to a police officer "

Every person that is immune to the virus, is protecting others. There is nothing selfish about getting vaccinated.

Cal

» Add a new message to this topic