FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > ANOTHER new variant...

ANOTHER new variant...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eorge Jetson OP   Man  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

BBC new right now.

6 cases of a new and "more lethal" Brazilian variant of covid-19 in Scotland and England.

Health officials "unclear and in the dark" whether vaccination will be effective against this new strain.

Is this a joke? 1 week ago BJ is telling us June 21st is the beginning of the end, the start of the return of normality. Now today a "new more lethal" varient suddenly finds its way to Scotland and England and the top brass know nothing of whether the vaccination can deal with it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

Covid is a virus and as such there will be lots and lots of new variants as the virus tries to survive. But also the vaccines can be altered to cover the new variants. And to be totally honest i don t trust the BBC anymore just trying to frighten the population even more. Time they funded themselves then lets see

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Viruses mutate and evolve, it's what they do.

I'm not a scientist but even I know that, so I don't understand all the shock horror like it's an unexpected suprise?

Middlesbrough

It just seems to be coming at the most "convenient" time.

A fully planned national lockdown lift on all restrictions, an 8 billion pound budget package to ease strains on business reopening, a final package of furlough until April 30th.

Cases falling, death rate falling, good spirits FINALLY resurfacing. And suddenly from nowhere 6 Brazilian cases causing hysteria amongst the health officials and government bodies.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"It just seems to be coming at the most "convenient" time.

A fully planned national lockdown lift on all restrictions, an 8 billion pound budget package to ease strains on business reopening, a final package of furlough until April 30th.

Cases falling, death rate falling, good spirits FINALLY resurfacing. And suddenly from nowhere 6 Brazilian cases causing hysteria amongst the health officials and government bodies. "

But be the tough testing and qurenteen at ports has failed lol

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

As i said

That is the BBC for you. Trying to clobber the government who have threatened to remove the tv licence fee and make them fund themselves. Bbc is all doom and gloom just look a Eastenders would hate to be part a world that was that depressing. Time it also was cancelled

By *emptressxxWoman  over a year ago

Local

Cases falling, death rate falling, good spirits FINALLY resurfacing. And suddenly from nowhere 6 Brazilian cases causing hysteria amongst the health officials and government bodies. "

Sad times... As we aren't currently lifting any restrictions for another week and then it's only schools and colleges. Better to find it now... So if a delay is needed then do it now. I'd rather extend now than lift experience some of old days and have it taken away again.

Sadly virus wont work to an agenda of people's tolerance levels. The flu mutates, every year they calculate the likely hood of what version to make for the flu jab each year. Covid will be around forever.. Let's vaccinate all and softly lift restrictions and hope the balance of industry/businesses vs nhs all survive in reasonable state.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

the BBC are just reporting the same news every other news body is..

something that gets me tho is how mutated and different are these variants and how varied do they have to be to become just another respiratory disease.. are we just going to be exposed to more disease in general in future?

d

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

And if it was in the darling child of covid NZ they would close the country down and investigate.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Cases falling, death rate falling, good spirits FINALLY resurfacing. And suddenly from nowhere 6 Brazilian cases causing hysteria amongst the health officials and government bodies.

Sad times... As we aren't currently lifting any restrictions for another week and then it's only schools and colleges. Better to find it now... So if a delay is needed then do it now. I'd rather extend now than lift experience some of old days and have it taken away again.

Sadly virus wont work to an agenda of people's tolerance levels. The flu mutates, every year they calculate the likely hood of what version to make for the flu jab each year. Covid will be around forever.. Let's vaccinate all and softly lift restrictions and hope the balance of industry/businesses vs nhs all survive in reasonable state. "

It's well known the virus is a tory

By *ungry CatCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

Just proves the point that it's pointless to have a "lockdown" when borders are open left and right in all directions.

No, don't go see your mum or a close friend whos hanging on a last thread from loneliness, but you can go on holidays if you're savvy enough without any restrictions.

It surely is "convenient" how all the milestones are being pushed forward every single time

Middlesbrough

Sadly virus wont work to an agenda of people's tolerance levels. The flu mutates, every year they calculate the likely hood of what version to make for the flu jab each year. Covid will be around forever.. Let's vaccinate all and softly lift restrictions and hope the balance of industry/businesses vs nhs all survive in reasonable state. "

This I believe is the sensible option, slowly, softly, investigate, intercept, increase if necessary. But as usual I fear that the government will wait until the last possible second, if not pass the 21st of June, and throw another national lockdown at the country and cause riots.

Hastings

I'm with you 6 should be controlled I guess it all started wit about 6

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

"Viruses mutate and evolve, it's what they do.

I'm not a scientist but even I know that, so I don't understand all the shock horror like it's an unexpected suprise?"

This

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"the BBC are just reporting the same news every other news body is..

something that gets me tho is how mutated and different are these variants and how varied do they have to be to become just another respiratory disease.. are we just going to be exposed to more disease in general in future?

d"

They're all still the same virus. Corona virus is a family, say. These variants are twins (triplets, quads, etc). The changes are very small, like a freckle here or a slight difference in eye colour. But it changes how they behave.

I suppose strains (see flu) are like siblings.

But normally with each copy viruses get gradually weaker. A similar process to when you keep copying a VHS or cassette case. The fact it isn't is raising my eyebrows.

6 should be enough to isolate, but as we have proven time after time we are incapable of doing this. Until we shut the borders this will keep occurring.

By *rank speakerMan  over a year ago

Worcester

"As i said

That is the BBC for you. Trying to clobber the government who have threatened to remove the tv licence fee and make them fund themselves. Bbc is all doom and gloom just look a Eastenders would hate to be part a world that was that depressing. Time it also was cancelled "

Can't stand Eastenders! Occasionally I can't find the remote to change channels quickly enough and catch a minute or two. I don't think I've ever seen one smile on there? All the trailers have aggression featured and the desperation to come up with something special for Xmas is showing as they're running out of characters to kill or marry off? Unfortunately due to the initial popularity it's dragged all the other soaps down to its level? I remember when Coronation street was positively comic,with some great amusing moments in it(anyone remember the Ogdens?) Pure gold! The desperate need for so called drama and over scheduling has diluted the whole thing.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Try not being such a conspiracy theorist, as has been said, viruses mutate it's a fact of life. Accept it and move on instead of trying to instill panic and fear.

Hastings

"But normally with each copy viruses get gradually weaker. A similar process to when you keep copying a VHS or cassette case. The fact it isn't is raising my eyebrows.

6 should be enough to isolate, but as we have proven time after time we are incapable of doing this. Until we shut the borders this will keep occurring. "

I think the depot stated 1 could not be traced as paper work was not directly filled in.

But yes close the borders ASAP make all ports qurenteen for 14 days

Is a virus its going to mutate thousands of times.

FFS.

Middlesbrough

Try not being such a conspiracy theorist, as has been said, viruses mutate it's a fact of life. Accept it and move on instead of trying to instill panic and fear."

I think you'll find the BBC have put this out there, not me. Instilling panic and fear seems to have been their fault, not mine.

By *j48Man  over a year ago

Wigan

Health bods are running the country.. Enough now, it's become so tedious it's criminal

Well I must admit .. I’ve been working as normal from day one ... no hand outs for me ... had me jab .. super human powers now ( side effect is X-ray vision ) which I will only use for the good of mankind ..! Open the pubs and let’s start living again

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Both Pfizer & AstraZenaca are adamant that their vaccines are efficient against the Brazilian variant.

Look, I've said it before - no end to lockdown till everyone's had 2 shots

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

What a good job that right from the very start our government knew how important it was to control the movement of potentially infected people across our island borders. Oops no...

Well it's a really good job that in January the government realised how important it was to control our borders and immediately acted to enforce quarantines... Oops no...

Well I'm pleased now that from the middle of February the government decided that letting further new covid variants into the country could be a catastrophe, and finally commenced their programme of mandatory hotel quarantine for arrivals from all countries... Oh, no they haven't done that either.

And at the end of February a dangerous new Brazilian variant arrives, avoiding quarantine because it came indirectly on a flight via Europe. Is it too much to hope that there might be somebody somewhere in the government puts their brain into gear and thinks "I wonder how that happened? I wonder if there is anything we could do to stop twenty more variants from twenty different countries coming in next week?". Nope, I don't expect any of the useless fuckers to think anything like that. It's taken over twelve months, over 4 million infected, and over 122,000 dead for them to still not have done anything effective to control the movement of infected people, whether that is new people coming into the country, or those freely moving the virus up and down the length of the country.

Just how many have to die before the government takes any responsibility? 1 million? 5 million? 20 million? Nope, pretty sure in fact that unless its themselves dying, our lords and masters will still be trying to turn a personal profit out of the situation when corpses are piled high in the streets. And there will still be people on fab defending them.

Middlesbrough

"What a good job that right from the very start our government knew how important it was to control the movement of potentially infected people across our island borders. Oops no...

Well it's a really good job that in January the government realised how important it was to control our borders and immediately acted to enforce quarantines... Oops no...

Well I'm pleased now that from the middle of February the government decided that letting further new covid variants into the country could be a catastrophe, and finally commenced their programme of mandatory hotel quarantine for arrivals from all countries... Oh, no they haven't done that either.

And at the end of February a dangerous new Brazilian variant arrives, avoiding quarantine because it came indirectly on a flight via Europe. Is it too much to hope that there might be somebody somewhere in the government puts their brain into gear and thinks "I wonder how that happened? I wonder if there is anything we could do to stop twenty more variants from twenty different countries coming in next week?". Nope, I don't expect any of the useless fuckers to think anything like that. It's taken over twelve months, over 4 million infected, and over 122,000 dead for them to still not have done anything effective to control the movement of infected people, whether that is new people coming into the country, or those freely moving the virus up and down the length of the country.

Just how many have to die before the government takes any responsibility? 1 million? 5 million? 20 million? Nope, pretty sure in fact that unless its themselves dying, our lords and masters will still be trying to turn a personal profit out of the situation when corpses are piled high in the streets. And there will still be people on fab defending them."

By *xploring_FunWoman  over a year ago

Coventry

"But normally with each copy viruses get gradually weaker. A similar process to when you keep copying a VHS or cassette case. The fact it isn't is raising my eyebrows.

6 should be enough to isolate, but as we have proven time after time we are incapable of doing this. Until we shut the borders this will keep occurring. "

6 should have been enough to isolate.

The problem is those six flew in on flights from Brazil to mainland Europe and then from europe to the Uk, so potentially spread it to more people on those flights.

As they flew from European non-red list places three of those six were allowed to fly from London to Aberdeen potentially infecting another plane load.

The border situation needs sorted. There needs to be checks on where people start their journey from, not just where they flew in from at that moment.

We will keep getting new Variants for the next 100 year's, just like the Spanish flu of 1919 that now the common flu. So we just have to move on or stay lockdown till 2121 at the earliest

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Been saying this for months

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Been saying from the start , no end to Covid till we are all skint

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"Been saying from the start , no end to Covid till we are all skint "

Why are we paying it to stick around?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's a known variant, hence why the sequencing exists for it. If we'd started hotel quarantine a week or more earlier then these people could not have infected anyone, except for other travellers.

Testing to evaluate vaccine efficacy isn't as quick as testing which variant someone has . It's being evaluated though.

By *ungry CatCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"Been saying from the start , no end to Covid till we are all skint

Why are we paying it to stick around?"

Literally are.

Many countries who can't afford magical furlough money have learned to live with it already.

You just won't hear about them in the news

Hastings

"What a good job that right from the very start our government knew how important it was to control the movement of potentially infected people across our island borders. Oops no...

Just how many have to die before the government takes any responsibility? 1 million? 5 million? 20 million? Nope, pretty sure in fact that unless its themselves dying, our lords and masters will still be trying to turn a personal profit out of the situation when corpses are piled high in the streets. And there will still be people on fab defending them."

Are yes but that will piss the people of as they need sun shine and holidays. And we did not let them have Xmas so we must let travel happen then when their happy we can lock them down again

Hastings

Hastings

Literally are.

Many countries who can't afford magical furlough money have learned to live with it already.

Have you seen India people are just dying not from covid but from starvation so that is ok as it keeps the covid numbers down

You just won't hear about them in the news "

By *xploring_FunWoman  over a year ago

Coventry

Literally are.

Where?

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

"BBC new right now.

6 cases of a new and "more lethal" Brazilian variant of covid-19 in Scotland and England.

Health officials "unclear and in the dark" whether vaccination will be effective against this new strain.

Is this a joke? 1 week ago BJ is telling us June 21st is the beginning of the end, the start of the return of normality. Now today a "new more lethal" varient suddenly finds its way to Scotland and England and the top brass know nothing of whether the vaccination can deal with it. "

A Brazilian version. I reckon we are all in for a close shave with this one.

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

Why does everyone jump straight in here as soon as they’ve heard something new

It just worries people over and over again

Just stay positive and carry on

That’s all we can do

By *ick_and_BickerCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

"Viruses mutate and evolve, it's what they do.

I'm not a scientist but even I know that, so I don't understand all the shock horror like it's an unexpected suprise?"

Expect the same outrage when it's found flu does this too and the vaccine is remodelled every year to deal with it.

Oh, hold on........

Why is "vaccines mutate" new news? I've know that for decades.....

M

Did they cut Kent off when there was a new variant there?

"Why does everyone jump straight in here as soon as they’ve heard something new

It just worries people over and over again

Just stay positive and carry on

That’s all we can do"

This

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

Don't watch the news, life is far better when you dont watch the news.

"Both Pfizer & AstraZenaca are adamant that their vaccines are efficient against the Brazilian variant. "

And NO reports say it is more deadly. It "MAY" be slightly more transmissible. Stop getting your knickers in a twist everyone....

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Literally are.

So if we cut off the support it will go away. Best tell Bozo..

North Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 02/03/21 09:27:10]

North Yorkshire

"BBC new right now.

Is this a joke? 1 week ago BJ is telling us June 21st is the beginning of the end, the start of the return of normality. Now today a "new more lethal" varient suddenly finds its way to Scotland and England and the top brass know nothing of whether the vaccination can deal with it. "

Unfortunately it is not a joke. It is in the script

Manchester (she/her)

Literally are.

So if we cut off the support it will go away. Best tell Bozo.."

Disease correlates with state support. Maybe that's why Sweden have done badly?

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

"Don't watch the news, life is far better when you dont watch the news. "
Your probably right ,most news is nowadays just Government telling us what they want us to know ,and propaganda

Literally are.

Disease correlates with state support. Maybe that's why Sweden have done badly? "

I was thinking similar with the Brazil variant. It's being described by some (the media mostly) as more deadly, citing the effects in Brazil as an example. What they fail to also cite is that from virtually day 1 the President of Brazil has called COVID and the pandemic 'fake news' and refused to instigate any control methods to try and contain it. So surely it's hardly any surprise this variant has had such an impact over there?

Manchester (she/her)

Literally are.

Disease correlates with state support. Maybe that's why Sweden have done badly?

I was thinking similar with the Brazil variant. It's being described by some (the media mostly) as more deadly, citing the effects in Brazil as an example. What they fail to also cite is that from virtually day 1 the President of Brazil has called COVID and the pandemic 'fake news' and refused to instigate any control methods to try and contain it. So surely it's hardly any surprise this variant has had such an impact over there?"

It's almost as if taking adequate precautions against the disease has something to do with it.

We’re all doomed .... doomed I tell ye ...!

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

There will always be a new mutation, as I am sure each country has a slightly different variant of the virus. Some will be less lethal, others will be more lethal.

North Yorkshire

"BBC new right now.

Is this a joke? 1 week ago BJ is telling us June 21st is the beginning of the end, the start of the return of normality. Now today a "new more lethal" varient suddenly finds its way to Scotland and England and the top brass know nothing of whether the vaccinatio

n can deal with it. "

Doris is notorious for telling porkies.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Everytime someone is infected, the version they shed is slightly different from what they caught.

It is natural selection in its prime. There are literally 1000s of varients already, just some get more efficient or change in some way and these become "of concern". Other varients are no so potent do fall away.

It is natural and expected, hence thd race to vaccinate to reduce the number of varients appearing.

Not only naturak selection, there is the possibilty of a person infected with another virus to also catch COVID and then shed a super version. This is the worst outcome as it all starts again.

Let hope pigs or chickens dont start their mutation factories as they are super conduits for mutation and mashup of viruses.

This is why millions of Mink were culled, the risk of a merging of one of there own natural virus mixing with a contagious human spreadable virus, that has the R factor of COVID and mixed with a virus with an extremely high mortality rate.

Transmutation, say someone who was infected with COVID caught Ebola and infected cells spewed out conbinations of both and one manages to take hold. As deadly as Ebola but as contagious zs COVID - It is possible and just needs both viruses to be present in the same cell.

Thats the time to really worry about varients and to be avoided at all costs.

It is no different to hybridisation of plants and animals that we do to increase fold yields.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Everytime someone is infected, the version they shed is slightly different from what they caught.

It is natural selection in its prime. There are literally 1000s of varients already, just some get more efficient or change in some way and these become "of concern". Other varients are no so potent do fall away.

It is natural and expected, hence thd race to vaccinate to reduce the number of varients appearing.

Not only naturak selection, there is the possibilty of a person infected with another virus to also catch COVID and then shed a super version. This is the worst outcome as it all starts again.

Let hope pigs or chickens dont start their mutation factories as they are super conduits for mutation and mashup of viruses.

This is why millions of Mink were culled, the risk of a merging of one of there own natural virus mixing with a contagious human spreadable virus, that has the R factor of COVID and mixed with a virus with an extremely high mortality rate.

Transmutation, say someone who was infected with COVID caught Ebola and infected cells spewed out conbinations of both and one manages to take hold. As deadly as Ebola but as contagious zs COVID - It is possible and just needs both viruses to be present in the same cell.

Thats the time to really worry about varients and to be avoided at all costs.

It is no different to hybridisation of plants and animals that we do to increase fold yields.

"

You may want to recheck that somewhat.

Mutations are certainly a risk factor especially when large volumes of people are infected and the virus is being reproduced. That high volume multiplies the potential for mutations that are beneficial to the virus. Adaptive benefits are less likely to die out than the very many that have no benefit. Recombinant viral material, formed from Sars-Cov-2 and a different virus, are much less likely, as scary as they may sound.

As the world progresses to increase levels of population immunity via vaccines and reductions in infection levels, it reduces the potential for mutations to occur and for variants to become established that confer increased potential infectivity.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Nothing to recheck..

Virologists have been shittin themselves for years about bird flu mixing in a host with common flu to become something more deadly and transmissable which is why mass culling occurs. You mention unlikley but not impossible and although Ebola was an extreme example, it is fact possible.

Look at the amount of virus material injected into human DNA over past millions of years. Teeth and human reproduction cells is interesting reading.

» Add a new message to this topic