FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Schools and testing

Schools and testing

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Morning experts,

As the return approaches we have a bit more clarity of how the testing is to be done and the timetable. That's great and after the first few weeks we will have a better understanding of how the virus exists in our kids or otherwise. All good stuff.

Can anyone with better information help though with this. How accurate are the lft tests? According to full fact they are 99.7% accurate for positives. I. E. Pretty much zero false positives. But 77% accurate for false negatives. Ie 1 in every 4 positive tests will be shown as a negative. Now if that's the case... Fine its not the worst, but I just wondered if some of our resident epidemiologists had better information?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Not an expert, all I know is if they test positive from an lft test, they then need to do a PCR test to confirm the positive result, that is what is happening with us anyway.

Tin town

"Not an expert, all I know is if they test positive from an lft test, they then need to do a PCR test to confirm the positive result, that is what is happening with us anyway. "

Yes same here. Its labour intensive but I think a good thing to help get back to more normality.

On a mooch

"Not an expert, all I know is if they test positive from an lft test, they then need to do a PCR test to confirm the positive result, that is what is happening with us anyway.

Yes same here. Its labour intensive but I think a good thing to help get back to more normality. "

It is but 10 minutes twice a week for three weeks is small in reality.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

So, a week back for schools in England. How's it going for your little people?

Mine have been tested twice as planned.

Today year 10 split in to two. One half tested this morning, one this afternoon. As the kids were lining up at 3 (Yes 3 ~ when they were about to go home!) some students were sent to a different area. This was because they had mixed with someone who had tested positive 6 hours earlier. I'm quite cross about this and will be emailing the school to see why it took them so bloody long. Meanwhile this positive case has been mixing with God knows how many people

There have been 4 other cases this week over 2 year groups!

On a mooch

Two tests this week and 100% negative results across the school

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

Sadly number of infections is already on its way up by the look of things, makes you wonder how we are ever going to get out of this situation

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Sadly number of infections is already on its way up by the look of things, makes you wonder how we are ever going to get out of this situation "

Do you look at the number of tests done or just the number of positives.

Tin town

"Sadly number of infections is already on its way up by the look of things, makes you wonder how we are ever going to get out of this situation "

Exactly and schools have barely been back for 3 days.... So can't be there. Maybe it's in response to the announced plan 3 weeks ago.... And everyone getting out and about again.

Frankly it's stupid to open the schools

The pupils will only pass it on to the parents etc

There's no need - they are not taking exams

The schools and the govt have had a whole year to develop a remote curriculum

If parents can't cope with kids being at home then the real issue is why?

If the child is unruly and can't concentrate, is noisy, bored and inattentive I'm sorry but the fault lies between the parents and the schools for turning the kid out that way

And yes I don't have kids before you ask

However I do pay tax .... for education, social services, school welfare officers, child benefit and tax credits, remedial adult education etc

So yes I will complain about the finished product I have to interview and see on the streets

"Frankly it's stupid to open the schools

If the child is unruly and can't concentrate, is noisy, bored and inattentive I'm sorry but the fault lies between the parents and the schools for turning the kid out that way

However I do pay tax .... for education, social services, school welfare officers, child benefit and tax credits, remedial adult education etc

So yes I will complain about the finished product I have to interview and see on the streets "

Nothing like someone without kids giving advice on parenting

On a mooch

So yes I will complain about the finished product I have to interview and see on the streets "

Maybe you go spend sometime in a current school setting before adding judgment. They are under more restrictions than most adults are experiencing in their daily life.

School isn’t just about text book learning, if it was we wouldn’t need to go to school. It’s about being engaged, getting a student passionate about a subject and more importantly basic human social interaction with peers and elders none of which they can totally learn sat behind a computer or just from their parents.

By *j48Man  over a year ago

Wigan

Pretty accurate though even if he hasn't..

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Ignoring the rest, is school just about passing exams? Is the fact exams are cancelled means we just scrap education? What about the futures of those young people? Q

How will they prove their suitability for employment and further study? Or should we just condemn all young people to the scrap heap now?

Adults whinging about young people and not to worry about loss of education etc are saying that with the benefit of their education already in the bag. We all know that once you get to a certain point in your career, it's more about your experience and skills than qualifications. Well, at the start of a career, when experience is limited or nil and they've had no chance to demonstrate their skills professionally, qualifications are everything and we cannot allow a cohort of young people to be disadvantaged for the rest of their lives. The kids 2-3 years behind the current crop of students WILL get a fair crack at education (we hope) so they will have an advantage if we allow today's children to fail.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

You really didn't need to say you didn't have children, it was quite apparent!

Well fair enough

But as all us non parents see the result of our education system ( either socially, or in the work place and it's pretty dire)

We also see rude, badly behaved kids with a bad attitude in society - who seem to think they can be rude or threatening to adults and pensioners with no consequences

So I say - rather than parents and schools saying you can't pass an opinion because you're not a teacher or parent - you should take a good long look at raising children

It's s bad approach not to engage in constructive criticism

North West

"Well fair enough

But as all us non parents see the result of our education system ( either socially, or in the work place and it's pretty dire)

We also see rude, badly behaved kids with a bad attitude in society - who seem to think they can be rude or threatening to adults and pensioners with no consequences

So I say - rather than parents and schools saying you can't pass an opinion because you're not a teacher or parent - you should take a good long look at raising children

It's s bad approach not to engage in constructive criticism "

An excellent piece of sweeping generalisation, sir. I see a lot of middle aged men driving their cars like utter twats, therefore all middle aged men are twats. Works well, doesn't it?

On a mooch

"Well fair enough

As it is a bad approach to tar all children with your comments in this statement. Where is the discussion when you clearly have your set point of view of all children

You are 100% right

I see so many kids who have been let down by their parents and schools

I want kids to be well educated so I can employ them

I want them to have a vocabulary of more than 200 words and not speak in text

All this should be addressed in the home and at school it's not rocket science

Sorry I speak as I see

Perhaps you should open your eyes ?

Because some of us have to work full time at home as well as bloody home school which is near on impossible to do.

Not every school are doing live lessons for every subject and not every kid can just get on with it on there own with no help.

So I’m meant to stop work and set up a stupid science experiment am i or make jam tarts while on the phone with a client?

How about all the kids that have some form of low level disability but it’s not bad enough to get any kind of diagnosis or help. (Because we all know how easy it is to get help these days with everything being cut) It’s their fault they find it hard to concentrate is it.

How about all the disabled kids that have been shut during lockdowns and not open even though they have a ehcp and are classed as vulnerable.

Kids have a right to be in school and Schools should be open.

"

All this should be addressed in the home and at school it's not rocket science "

But you said the schools shouldn't be opened though?

Not brain surgery is it.

On a mooch

"You are 100% right

All this should be addressed in the home and at school it's not rocket science "

Again a sweeping statement. Not denying there are elements of the population that might fit your statement, children and adults alike.

You want schools closed so how do you expect them to learn these skills if their only avenue of learning is from parents, who might themselves not be well educated. If they don’t learn from peers, schools a different way of thinking or even a base subject it will forever be a vicious line of failure.

"You are 100% right

You just said schools shouldn’t be open. Make your mind up.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

"You are 100% right

Pray tell me how schools have let children down .... oh please please I’m dying to hear this load of bollocks.

I didn't say I wanted schools closed

I inferred there was no need to open them now

And how about reforming them ?

So that every child reaches their potential

In spite of their background and parenting

South

"Well fair enough

Ahh not a parent not a teacher therefore not a valuable or valid opinion ... as you were.

On a mooch

"I didn't say I wanted schools closed

In spite of their background and parenting "

So how long would you have them closed for ?

What reforms do you propose ?

South

Where’s the data? None of my sources show a rise in case .. (yet)

South

I agree .... now we have the chance of a lifetime to reshape the current curriculum make it relevant remove pointless tests. Trust teachers to do the jobs we are highly trained to do. OFSTED needs to be completely scrapped and spend the money it costs on schools

Ok - the curriculum does nor prepare the for the world of work

If the kid is not academic then there are not many vocational options open

How does 13 weeks holiday prepare kids for work?

You haven't read my first sentance - I see kids who have been let down, who have loads of potential- I can't go into every detail

But I ask why has this happened

Thanks !

I'm not a parent nor teacher

All I would ask is that the school and the parent produce a kid irrespective of race, religion,or gender,or home circumstance that I can employ,is motivated, polite,and industrious

Not much to ask from a G8 country ?

On a mooch

OP it would be good if you could reply and quite so we know what you are responding to

Tin town

"Sadly number of infections is already on its way up by the look of things, makes you wonder how we are ever going to get out of this situation

Where’s the data? None of my sources show a rise in case .. (yet) "

On the official govt website... Daily rates have risen last two days. Weekly rates risen.

On a mooch

[Removed by poster at 12/03/21 20:54:21]

On a mooch

"Sadly number of infections is already on its way up by the look of things, makes you wonder how we are ever going to get out of this situation

On the official govt website... Daily rates have risen last two days. Weekly rates risen. "

Weekly rates appear to have gone down from what I can see. Daily rates increased for two days but considering the increase in the amount of testing currently being carried out, surely that was to be expected ?

Daily rates

11-93-2021. 2,173

10-03-2021. 5,595

09-03-2021. 6,208

08-03-2021. 6,790

07-03-2021. 4,314

06-03-2021. 4,503

Weekly rates

Column 1 - 7-day period ending

Column 2 - Count of cases

Column 3 - Rate per 100,000 population

Column 4 - Percentage change in 7-day case rate

07-03-2021. 39,645 59.4 -25.6

06-03-2021. 40,077 60 -29

05-03-2021. 40,411 60.5 -32.3

04-03-2021. 41,615 62.3 -34.5

03-03-2021. 43,588 65.3 -35.1

02-03-2021. 46,132 69.1 -34.3

"Well fair enough

Just as a slight aside... I’ve spent the past 6 months working alongside some amazing young people recently qualified as nurses, healthcare assistances etc... Their upbringing is from my observations is phenomenal, what they have endured and worked through in truth is quite staggering, many of them have grown up with zero privilege and a relatively tough beginning... there is without doubt more good than bad in their generation.

I hate to say it Sir but your last two posts just paint you as quite a narrow minded individual who’s bitter about the world we live in.

Education has always been massively important, go spend some time in a third world country to see how much value people with close to nothing put on it. I can’t comprehend anyone who’s of the mindset we should sacrifice it.

"I'm not a parent nor teacher

All I would ask is that the school and the parent produce a kid irrespective of race, religion,or gender,or home circumstance that I can employ,is motivated, polite,and industrious

Not much to ask from a G8 country ? "

Sounds more like a failing in your man management to be honest... employment of juniors is the next stage of people’s individual development. Thousands of employers across the U.K. produce amazing young professionals every year.

If you’re saying you can’t find anyone suitable then I have to say the evidence suggests you are failing where a multitude of others succeed... perhaps look at yourself, your approach before blaming the raw talent you struggle to work with.

X

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"Well fair enough

Just as a slight aside... I’ve spent the past 6 months working alongside some amazing young people recently qualified as nurses, healthcare assistances etc... Their upbringing is from my observations is phenomenal, what they have endured and worked through in truth is quite staggering, many of them have grown up with zero privilege and a relatively tough beginning... there is without doubt more good than bad in their generation.

I hate to say it Sir but your last two posts just paint you as quite a narrow minded individual who’s bitter about the world we live in.

Education has always been massively important, go spend some time in a third world country to see how much value people with close to nothing put on it. I can’t comprehend anyone who’s of the mindset we should sacrifice it. "

So very well put but some people just don't travel.

I Normaly go to India this time of year and spend time in the slums as I can stand the smell one thing the children like is a toothbrush pound land for a big pack take lots but to them it's like the next step forward. Some in this world have so much they canot see that some love so little.

On the official govt website... Daily rates have risen last two days. Weekly rates risen.

Weekly rates appear to have gone down from what I can see. Daily rates increased for two days but considering the increase in the amount of testing currently being carried out, surely that was to be expected ?

Daily rates

11-93-2021. 2,173

10-03-2021. 5,595

09-03-2021. 6,208

08-03-2021. 6,790

07-03-2021. 4,314

06-03-2021. 4,503

Weekly rates

Column 1 - 7-day period ending

Column 2 - Count of cases

Column 3 - Rate per 100,000 population

Column 4 - Percentage change in 7-day case rate

07-03-2021. 39,645 59.4 -25.6

06-03-2021. 40,077 60 -29

05-03-2021. 40,411 60.5 -32.3

04-03-2021. 41,615 62.3 -34.5

03-03-2021. 43,588 65.3 -35.1

02-03-2021. 46,132 69.1 -34.3

"

The current positivity percentage rate is 0.5. Compared to 12.5% on the 1st January.

"Well fair enough

An excellent piece of sweeping generalisation, sir. I see a lot of middle aged men driving their cars like utter twats, therefore all middle aged men are twats. Works well, doesn't it?"

Hang on there, some of those twats ride bikes

By *rcadian110Couple  over a year ago

Barnsley

School isn't just about book learning, it's social skills and interactions. Making friends and dealing with peer conflicts . This is where the skill for dealing with life are learned. As well as the knowledge passed form the teachers. It's about developing new ways of thinking and learning those from the Non family members around them. This is what kids have been missing out on. This is where the damage will be in years to come. Yes I think going back full force is a risky thing, staggering year groups so that only half to a third go back on any one day seems more sensible. Like year 1 on Monday weds Friday and Thurs Thursday the next and the reverse for year 2 and so on. Blaming parents for struggling as well isn't fair. They sent trained teachers and a lot feel guilty for not having those skills or overcompensate.plus there are those who do actually have to work. It's a fine line and parents are doing their best.

First, I never said we could not find any young person suitable, we merely come across so many poorly educated and lacking in social skills.

Given my company's state at the moment and turnover I'd say our man management is fine

( it's called teamwork )

Sorry, but when you run a company and take responsibility for its success or failure - I

will listen to your personal vitriol about me

It's nothing to do with my personal approach

We set a target for a potential employee to reach

Sadly those " amazing young professionals" fall short in many cases

"First, I never said we could not find any young person suitable, we merely come across so many poorly educated and lacking in social skills.

Given my company's state at the moment and turnover I'd say our man management is fine

( it's called teamwork )

Sorry, but when you run a company and take responsibility for its success or failure - I

will listen to your personal vitriol about me

It's nothing to do with my personal approach

We set a target for a potential employee to reach

"

I’ve spent 10 years working as a creative director, 6 as a business owner, in both cases I was responsible for the recruitment and progression of young talent which I’ve done a very fine job at thank you very much. My list of past employers includes Farrow & Ball and Conde Nast which I think have a fairly decent reputation as international businesses.

Your statements appear to be that of a ridiculously judgemental and closed minded gentleman with a very negative outlook. The point I make is very simple, If I was a young talented individual looking for a mentor to progress my life, you Sir, wouldn’t make the shortlist.

Your entire dialogue is a corporate take on a bad workman blaming his tools. If you are a skilled Business owner as you claim, perhaps use the art of reflection to read back through your various posts on here and gauge what level of positive reaction you gained. I’d say you bombed to be honest.

X

"We set a target for a potential employee to reach

"

This is the interesting point...

You recruit, they fail to deliver, hence your view is this generation is rubbish... a typical “those millennials are useless” argument.

Any leading company in the world is packed full of young faces, many of them are key to their success.

So actually, the obvious areas to scrutinise are your recruitment procedure, your offering, your training, your man management.

The only consistent pattern here is by your own statement young people failing to meet your targets under your charge.

I repeat for clarity

I never said we do not recruit young people or school leavers

We set a standard and recruit from the general population - not solely privileged graduates -

My point is that so many fail basic literacy and maths tests we set - which I think is not unreasonable for a company to test potential employees

The failure rate speaks for itself

It's nothing personal - it's business

"I repeat for clarity

I never said we do not recruit young people or school leavers

We set a standard and recruit from the general population - not solely privileged graduates -

My point is that so many fail basic literacy and maths tests we set - which I think is not unreasonable for a company to test potential employees

The failure rate speaks for itself

It's nothing personal - it's business "

You illustrate the point again... you’re process and positions are consistently delivering poor results. It would seem for whatever reason choice candidates aren’t interested in your recruitment, it’s not an issue throughout businesses in general. Congratulations on your failure.

Maths and literacy skills are at an all time high these days, education standards have risen from generation to generation, your argument is ridiculous. How many degree graduates are there annually compared to 30 years ago?

Yes as ever there are people with hard upbringings with little education but don’t cast them as useless. I’ve met plenty in the army, plenty working as porters and cleaners in our ICU and they are fucking amazing people and vital within society.

As others have said, it’s obvious you’re not a parent, I’d go as far as to say you just lack an understanding of the younger generation full stop.

"

"

Fucking seriously?? Are you a troll, a Victorian mill owner, a coal mine owner or just have no grasp on reality?

They are kids, what's do you want them to do a 5 day 9-5 working week with 20 days holiday a year?

Tin town

"

Fucking seriously?? Are you a troll, a Victorian mill owner, a coal mine owner or just have no grasp on reality?

They are kids, what's do you want them to do a 5 day 9-5 working week with 20 days holiday a year?"

That made me chuckle... Oliver twist was on earlier too...

"

They are kids, what's do you want them to do a 5 day 9-5 working week with 20 days holiday a year?"

Fear not, the ghost of Christmas future will mend his heart in good time x

North West

The six week school holidays have been a thing since forever. Anyone under the age of about 130 had a six week summer holiday because, and I quote "the current school system was developed over the course of the 19th century."

Perhaps the gent complaining about the six week summer holiday for schools has forgotten his own childhood? Or perhaps he is simply older than the maximum age Fab allows to be entered? Who knows?

Article title: A Brief History of The English Summer Holiday

Website name: Oxford Royale Academy

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"The six week school holidays have been a thing since forever. Anyone under the age of about 130 had a six week summer holiday because, and I quote "the current school system was developed over the course of the 19th century."

Perhaps the gent complaining about the six week summer holiday for schools has forgotten his own childhood? Or perhaps he is simply older than the maximum age Fab allows to be entered? Who knows?

Website name: Oxford Royale Academy"

Wasn't the 6 week summer holiday so children could help with the harvest?

South

"Ok - the curriculum does nor prepare the for the world of work

If the kid is not academic then there are not many vocational options open

You haven't read my first sentance - I see kids who have been let down, who have loads of potential- I can't go into every detail

But I ask why has this happened"

HHaha really is a 6 year olds goal in life is for us teachers to prepare them for work? Sorry my mistake I assumed it was to nurture their self confidence and ability to learn in addition to more formal subjects.

Actually why do they go to bed early and not shave or pay bills what kind of preparation for adulthood is their parents cooking for them and reading them bedtime stories ... pppfft

South

Have you even though about the fact that every single profession under the sun is catered for at school? In my class I have future nurses, carers, teachers, salespeople, web designers the list is endless I’m not churning out specimens for you to knock back I’m creating people that thrive in all areas of life. Clearly something that was lacking in previous generations.

You’d also be interested to learn that a lot of my time is spent feeding children and finding them warm clothes ... ten years of Tory austerity has really taken a toll on kids.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"The six week school holidays have been a thing since forever. Anyone under the age of about 130 had a six week summer holiday because, and I quote "the current school system was developed over the course of the 19th century."

Wasn't the 6 week summer holiday so children could help with the harvest?"

Yes school holidays were set to the agricultural calendar so kids could help with lambing and harvests etc

By *RnMrsFreakCouple  over a year ago

Hull,England

We know it's a hard question, but how can you test for something that hasn't been isolated.

North West

"We know it's a hard question, but how can you test for something that hasn't been isolated. "

Boring. SARS-CoV-2 has been isolated many times. Google search of decent sources will confirm. Next conspiracy theory please!

North West

"Have you even though about the fact that every single profession under the sun is catered for at school? In my class I have future nurses, carers, teachers, salespeople, web designers the list is endless I’m not churning out specimens for you to knock back I’m creating people that thrive in all areas of life. Clearly something that was lacking in previous generations.

You’d also be interested to learn that a lot of my time is spent feeding children and finding them warm clothes ... ten years of Tory austerity has really taken a toll on kids. "

You know very well that we education professionals are supposed to be omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and masters of everything? Every failing in a young life can be definitively traced back to teachers. Every. Single. Thing. Our fault.

"

You know very well that we education professionals are supposed to be omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and masters of everything? Every failing in a young life can be definitively traced back to teachers. Every. Single. Thing. Our fault."

Don't forget it's your responsibility illy to fix them all as well

I agree with this secondary near me had a few positives apparently one left school and got on the bus

My children's primary had 2 class bubbles sent home on the first week debating deregistering until September I'm in London

So yes I will complain about the finished product I have to interview and see on the streets

Ignoring the rest, is school just about passing exams? Is the fact exams are cancelled means we just scrap education? What about the futures of those young people? Q

How will they prove their suitability for employment and further study? Or should we just condemn all young people to the scrap heap now?

Adults whinging about young people and not to worry about loss of education etc are saying that with the benefit of their education already in the bag. We all know that once you get to a certain point in your career, it's more about your experience and skills than qualifications. Well, at the start of a career, when experience is limited or nil and they've had no chance to demonstrate their skills professionally, qualifications are everything and we cannot allow a cohort of young people to be disadvantaged for the rest of their lives. The kids 2-3 years behind the current crop of students WILL get a fair crack at education (we hope) so they will have an advantage if we allow today's children to fail."

My kids attend a school however I know some home educated kids that have never attended a school that are doing well school isn't the only option they learn in different ways and meet up with other homeschoolers some also sit formal qualifications if they want to they are still well socialized

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Have you even though about the fact that every single profession under the sun is catered for at school? In my class I have future nurses, carers, teachers, salespeople, web designers the list is endless I’m not churning out specimens for you to knock back I’m creating people that thrive in all areas of life. Clearly something that was lacking in previous generations.

You’d also be interested to learn that a lot of my time is spent feeding children and finding them warm clothes ... ten years of Tory austerity has really taken a toll on kids.

You know very well that we education professionals are supposed to be omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and masters of everything? Every failing in a young life can be definitively traced back to teachers. Every. Single. Thing. Our fault."

not true maybe partially true but parents are important to

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Wasn't the 6 week summer holiday so children could help with the harvest?

Yes school holidays were set to the agricultural calendar so kids could help with lambing and harvests etc"

Thee to bloody lazy these days lol

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"

My kids attend a school however I know some home educated kids that have never attended a school that are doing well school isn't the only option they learn in different ways and meet up with other homeschoolers some also sit formal qualifications if they want to they are still well socialized "

Yup my daughter has been home schooled for the last 4 years. She is now attending college 2 days a week as is doing her GCSE's. Reason that's being done in college as opposed to at home is cost mostly.

She is sitting extra mock exams currently as the grade will be determined by a mix of mock exam results along with teacher assessment. So still exams being taken.

She wishes it was still home learning though. My grandkids have been in school all the time. Due to their mum being a key worker.

I repeat again and this time perhaps you and the rest of the posters on this forum can answer without the personal asides

Again why do kids need 13weeks holiday per year multiply that by six to seven years and that's a lot of time

No my process of recruitment ensures I have a baseline of employee my staff can train

And I doubt very much education standards have risen

Neither do my colleagues in my local chamber of commerce or CBI

Finally I have no problem recruiting staff if they meet my and my firms standards what's your issue with that?

I can't comment on the pupils in your class, what I can and have commented on is what appears in front of my HR colleagues when we shortlist school and college leavers

I have such awful feedback from the interview panel

That this leads to my initial post as to why?

I would love to give kids a chance but I'm sorry I'm running a business and have to think of my staff who would have issues with training some of these kids

Incidentally why should my firm along with many others have to have tests as part of the recruitment process to establish basic skills?

The answer is .. when we have assumed from the qualifications they have that they have a standard of literacy and numeracy to a certain level we've found this is often not the case

Maybe you should look at the school hours in developing countries

Or the hours children put in south east Asia ?

What you are doing is not really looking at my whole argument

And like school kids - using a swear word to make your point

North West

I teach students from South East and East Asia. They're excellent at passing knowledge based exams. Generally incredibly poor at applying knowledge, at practical, hands on stuff (because their teachers do it for them). They struggle massively in UK high education because they don't have their hands held. Frequency of mental health problems among students from Korea, China etc is insane. Many want to do something else but parental pressure sends them down a pre-set path. I know which education system I'd pick for my kids.

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

What about those children that have suffered mentally through not being in school? Or those that have found the remote learning difficult?

What right so you have to say that those children are not entitled to the full education they deserve? They have had a really rough year and they need normality. My daughter is due to start college in September but has had no open days, no tours of the college and no preparation at all and as a child with anxiety, this has caused her alot of distress.

If you don't have school age children, you don't know how the children have been affected and how much they need school.

"when we shortlist school and college leavers

I have such awful feedback from the interview panel

"

Lol, you’re a serious businessman yet you fail to question why your HR policy/team is doing such an awful job, wasting so much valuable time interviewing people who haven’t got the basic skills and instead you blame a generation with a sweeping statement.

Perhaps return to education yourself, go study with the IOD and they’d very clearly highlight that the issue here lies within your company’s approach and HR team.

I’m sorry but finding bright young adults with basic literacy and numeracy skills is an absolute doddle, you are on the outskirts of the UKs 2nd city... it’s packed full of first class graduates.

As for education going downhill... bollocks, the national stats are there for anyone to see.

"I teach students from South East and East Asia. They're excellent at passing knowledge based exams. Generally incredibly poor at applying knowledge, at practical, hands on stuff (because their teachers do it for them). They struggle massively in UK high education because they don't have their hands held. Frequency of mental health problems among students from Korea, China etc is insane. Many want to do something else but parental pressure sends them down a pre-set path. I know which education system I'd pick for my kids."

Why do they come here for their higher education?

Sorry but you are wrong

You know nothing about my company and you therefore do not know what skills we are looking for .

Take some time to answer all my points

: why are these applicants falling short

Instead of criticism of a company you know nothing about

My views everyone btw, are based on data and facts - not on personal opinion.

I swore so I am a child?? You're on a swingers site, people have cock and cunt pics on their profiles and I'm a child because I swore in a post...

Do you do stand up?

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

"Sorry but you are wrong

You know nothing about my company and you therefore do not know what skills we are looking for .

"

Although we certainly don't agree with the tone of your posts, you do make some valid points.

In our experience, recent graduates have a sub-optimal grasp of English. They frequently mix up affect and effect, there and their, bear and bare, discreet and discrete etc. which makes them appear illiterate when writing reports.

Their IT skills are also poor. They expect all tasks to be accomplished using pre-made software or apps and don't really know how the machines work. Therefore, writing simple scripts or batch files to ease tasks is beyond their comprehension.

No by age you are not a child

What you did was not provide any justification for your comment, and resort to personal abuse

Finally you don't even understand the above point or you would not have replied like you have

Yes, this is a swingers site, but this is not a swinging thread

Like I said - your response is what I would expect from a child

Hmmm

We see much the same I'm afraid

Your comment is pretty much what I hear at trade events and Conferences

The issue is not the kids themselves

so no, I'm not anti kid and to those who say I'm anti school the answer is; I'm not because I need an educated workforce

As I said the fault lies with those bringing up children and their education

What i see in this thread is a consistent denial from parents and teachers coupled with personal abuse about the matter

"Sorry but you are wrong

"

Oh you said the “facts” word....

So therefore post your data that clearly shows that academic achievement has declined over the past 30 years? It doesn’t exist, gcse, a level and FE/HE achievements have increased year on year.

To answer your question:

Your applicants are falling short because your pre interview process isn’t working as it should. Perhaps your position and it’s accompanying package falls short and therefore you fail to attract the calibre of candidates you wish for, perhaps your HR people are just performing badly when sorting candidates for interview stage. Perhaps your recruitment advertising etc is badly placed... there’s many reasons that could contribute to your poor performance.

The indisputable fact is Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the surrounds produces thousands of college and university graduates each year who quickly find themselves a professional career in a multitude of industries. The problem here is not the people, it’s the fact you aren’t attracting or finding them when across the Midlands others are.

For some reason you equate that to a national failing within the younger generation and the education system.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"I repeat again and this time perhaps you and the rest of the posters on this forum can answer without the personal asides

Again why do kids need 13weeks holiday per year multiply that by six to seven years and that's a lot of time

No my process of recruitment ensures I have a baseline of employee my staff can train

Finally I have no problem recruiting staff if they meet my and my firms standards what's your issue with that? "

kids need time to be kids is why they need time off... they get less time off than I had as a child.

I disagree totally with your theory about education being less now.. schools however now do focus on not just the academics. Some children just are better with other types of learning .

And if you click on reply to... then we can tell who you are replying to.

Btw my child is home educated.. as school didnt do the variety of subjects she wanted

If you need an educated workforce could you not foster a load of kids and then bring them up and educate them yourself? Bit of a win win situation, you get paid to foster them and get your workforce when they grow up.

Shame we don't have any 'poor houses' any more, would be ideal for so many businesses nowadays...although give it a couple of years and they may well make a welcome return

"

As I said the fault lies with those bringing up children and their education

What i see in this thread is a consistent denial from parents and teachers coupled with personal abuse about the matter "

Actually, no. You see responses from people like me, a glamorous father who has two sons, the eldest is completing a first class degree after gaining excellent results at GCSE and then A level. He’s very unique and special to me but in a national context no he’s not, he’s on a course where his achievements and skills are echoed by his peers. That’s the case across the country.

All your statements brand him and all others of his age group as people who are failing and the simple fact is they aren’t. There’s huge achievement within that age group, yes there are those who struggle but that’s not a new phenomena, look back to a time when you where educated and you’ll find a much larger percentage of people lacking basic education.

I spent a lot of time during my work with F&B in talent management and development. If you are aware of their success story then you should know their phenomenal growth, success and subsequent buyout was transforming a tiny, archaic business into a world leading brand. Every key player in that management and marketing transformation came direct from education. I’d also say that the skills and thinking that was pivotal to creating brand loyalty, viral marketing, online visibility etc would have been impossible to find in those 30+.

By *enhamhoopMan  over a year ago

Denham

Why are teachers doing their work for them?

Denham

"Sorry but you are wrong

So therefore post your data that clearly shows that academic achievement has declined over the past 30 years? It doesn’t exist, gcse, a level and FE/HE achievements have increased year on year.

To answer your question:

Your applicants are falling short because your pre interview process isn’t working as it should. Perhaps your position and it’s accompanying package falls short and therefore you fail to attract the calibre of candidates you wish for, perhaps your HR people are just performing badly when sorting candidates for interview stage. Perhaps your recruitment advertising etc is badly placed... there’s many reasons that could contribute to your poor performance.

The indisputable fact is Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the surrounds produces thousands of college and university graduates each year who quickly find themselves a professional career in a multitude of industries. The problem here is not the people, it’s the fact you aren’t attracting or finding them when across the Midlands others are.

For some reason you equate that to a national failing within the younger generation and the education system. "

He is actually saying that general arithmetic and language skills are falling whereas your argument is that higher grades prove this to be total nonsense think the way grades and qualifications are marked and who by may play quite a large part in this(The removal of grade curving playing a large part in this Imagine being in a science class with Einstein and Hawkins to achieve a C Grade would've been a major achievement). The fact course work plays a part in grades which are given out by teachers whose pay and continued employment are affected by the grades they give out may slightly inflate the results

North West

"I teach students from South East and East Asia. They're excellent at passing knowledge based exams. Generally incredibly poor at applying knowledge, at practical, hands on stuff (because their teachers do it for them). They struggle massively in UK high education because they don't have their hands held. Frequency of mental health problems among students from Korea, China etc is insane. Many want to do something else but parental pressure sends them down a pre-set path. I know which education system I'd pick for my kids.

Why do they come here for their higher education?"

Because they believe UK (or US) higher education is better than that provided in their own countries and makes them internationally employable.

North West

"Sorry but you are wrong

To answer your question:

For some reason you equate that to a national failing within the younger generation and the education system. He is actually saying that general arithmetic and language skills are falling whereas your argument is that higher grades prove this to be total nonsense think the way grades and qualifications are marked and who by may play quite a large part in this(The removal of grade curving playing a large part in this Imagine being in a science class with Einstein and Hawkins to achieve a C Grade would've been a major achievement). The fact course work plays a part in grades which are given out by teachers whose pay and continued employment are affected by the grades they give out may slightly inflate the results"

Apart from practical subjects like Art and Design/Tech, coursework has been removed from GCSEs and A levels for least the past 4 or 5 years.

However, not every person is suited to proving their ability by examination, especially not high-stakes, one-shot-only examinations.

"Sorry but you are wrong

To answer your question:

For some reason you equate that to a national failing within the younger generation and the education system. He is actually saying that general arithmetic and language skills are falling whereas your argument is that higher grades prove this to be total nonsense think the way grades and qualifications are marked and who by may play quite a large part in this(The removal of grade curving playing a large part in this Imagine being in a science class with Einstein and Hawkins to achieve a C Grade would've been a major achievement). The fact course work plays a part in grades which are given out by teachers whose pay and continued employment are affected by the grades they give out may slightly inflate the results"

Finding young adults with a good degree of maths and literacy is not a hard challenge in modern day Britain. The fact as a working class child you have a higher chance of completing further and higher education reinforces that compared to say 30,40 years ago where it was the exception not the normality.

There are always young adults with a lack of education, that’s been an issue for all time. There’s then a gradient between that and the higher end too. This concept of swathes of young people being lacking base skills is utter bobbins though.

The point I make is simple, we are in a better place with basic skills compared to previous years, particularly in areas such as IT literacy etc.

Employing people is investing in them and their development. Everyone knows that, from my experience if you are getting a load of chaff applying for your post, then the chances are your company, your position or salary offer is lacking.... it certainly doesn’t underline a national crisis, on the contrary with competition for jobs being as it is now for those leaving education any decent position should be awash with the over qualified and eager.

Not really answered my question

And tbh I'm not posting again

My facts are based on the feedback I receive from my HR dept

I have confidence in their recruitment process as we find many qualified and talented engineers this way

My companies profits and order book suggest there is no issue with my recruitment process some parts of which we use internationally recognised evaluation tests btw

Higher grades does not mean the candidate is qualified for the job - they provide a baseline on which we can build ( it's called an apprenticeship)

As I have said .. we need to have our own tests because the grades have proved misleading.

I'm sorry but in engineering we cannot and will not employ educated idiots

"educated idiots

"

And there’s the root issue...

A man so up his own arse he terms people with a disadvantaged background as idiots.

Says it all x

Always nice to engage in a reasonable

Debate

For the benefit of others - your reply shows your attitude not mine

I'm responsible for ensuring my staff can pay their mortgages and taxes - I did not say I wouldn't employ kids from disadvantaged backgrounds

So don't misquote me

An educated idiot is someone ( not necessarily a school leaver) who has paper qualifications to a high standard yet lacks the skills ( or worse, the attitude) to perform in post

There's no need to be rude btw - I haven't insulted you

"Always nice to engage in a reasonable

Debate

I'm responsible for ensuring my staff can pay their mortgages and taxes - I did not say I wouldn't employ kids from disadvantaged backgrounds

So don't misquote me

An educated idiot is someone ( not necessarily a school leaver) who has paper qualifications to a high standard yet lacks the skills ( or worse, the attitude) to perform in post

There's no need to be rude btw - I haven't insulted you "

Terming someone who doesn’t successfully gain employment with yourself as an “educated idiot” is wholly inappropriate and insulting to them, don’t try to justify that.

I have two porters working within my team currently with basic GCSEs but a well bellow average literacy and maths levels but I tell you what, they are both absolute legends, decent human beings and amongst the most empathetic and caring people I know, I couldn’t deliver what they do and I am certain neither could you. They aren’t educated idiots, they are part of a team that’s done phenomenal work over the past year and they’ve played a key roll.

Employers set their standards and appoint the appropriate skill set. No issue with that, that’s the way of the world. If people don’t make that mark just accept that, wish them luck and appreciate they’ll find their place elsewhere.

There’s zero need for some elitist bullshit branding them as people of a sub standard, from my experiences many of these “idiots” as you term them would out perform yourself in a variety of situations.

Debate

So don't misquote me

There's no need to be rude btw - I haven't insulted you "

Out of interest how long have you worked at board level for? Is this engineering firm your own or are you an employee?

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Where i work we have a young lad of 21 who has a basic education and no qualifications or experience whatsoever in our field of work

Initially he was temporary doing some CAD work (a skill in itself) but once that was done he was doing (basically) dogsbody work to earn some more money.

He showed an aptitude to learn and picked things up ad just seemed to be able to do the job. He still has a way to go and has the stereotypical attitude of a lot of 21 year old males.

He can though do the job, learns on the job and should get better and progress.

There have been well educated people turn up with reams of paper qualifications who once on the shop floor simply cannot do the practical work, this has also included established tradespeople.

Well educated does not necessarily mean being good or competent (Boris, for example) or does having no qualifications make you stupid.

To be honest you still do not apply yourself to my basic point:

The term may be harsh but the fact is paper qualifications do not mean you are any good at the job, nor that you have the aptitude of it

What's elitist about looking for the best person for the job?

I'm sorry but the cohort of applicants we see who have recently left education need a lot of training in areas which I think should have been covered in 6 to 7 years state education

It gives me no pleasure to hear that a young woman (for instance) who would love to work in our field can't do basic math. On her behalf I ask why this is the case ?

All I've heard so far is personal snide comments from posters by and large

Which, as some of these are educators kinda answers my question

I own my own company, it's an aerospace company, We also manufacture components for satellites and in the future I would love to build our own

"To be honest you still do not apply yourself to my basic point:

The term may be harsh but the fact is paper qualifications do not mean you are any good at the job, nor that you have the aptitude of it

I'm sorry but the cohort of applicants we see who have recently left education need a lot of training in areas which I think should have been covered in 6 to 7 years state education

It gives me no pleasure to hear that a young woman (for instance) who would love to work in our field can't do basic math. On her behalf I ask why this is the case ?

I own my own company, it's an aerospace company, We also manufacture components for satellites and in the future I would love to build our own

"

How long have you owned your own company for? #intrigued

OK so there are roughly 39 weeks per school term. If one pupil in a class tests positive every week and leads to whole class isolation thats the whole school year cancelled. Even if 12 pupils get it through out the year, 10 days isolation at a time, thats an incredible amount of education missed.

This virus isn't going anywhere, new strains are coming about all the time. Education has already been monumentally disrupted and its going to go on and on and on.

I'm reay very concerned.

I started after uni and built it up from there,

Begged and borrowed till I was taken seriously

I just love aerospace - I still get a buzz when I'm in a plane taking off lol

It's great also when a satellite you've helped come into being gets launched

There's a 56 year old Mexican called Miguel Alcubierre Moyà he's a theoretical physicist

His work is an inspiration

They are opening the country again, people are going back to work. The kids supposed to just stay at home alone are they?

"I started after uni and built it up from there,

Begged and borrowed till I was taken seriously

I just love aerospace - I still get a buzz when I'm in a plane taking off lol

It's great also when a satellite you've helped come into being gets launched

There's a 56 year old Mexican called Miguel Alcubierre Moyà he's a theoretical physicist

His work is an inspiration "

You’re avoiding the question, how many years have you run your company?

9 years

No they are not and I'm not advocating that

I'm saying this govt has had plenty of time in conjunction with the teachers to design an online curriculum and to supply laptops along with parental support

Online learning has been around for years

Could they not have consulted a provider ?

Instead we have this

An admission that the r rate may go up !

Denham

Debate

So don't misquote me

There's no need to be rude btw - I haven't insulted you

Terming someone who doesn’t successfully gain employment with yourself as an “educated idiot” is wholly inappropriate and insulting to them, don’t try to justify that.

I have two porters working within my team currently with basic GCSEs but a well bellow average literacy and maths levels but I tell you what, they are both absolute legends, decent human beings and amongst the most empathetic and caring people I know, I couldn’t deliver what they do and I am certain neither could you. They aren’t educated idiots, they are part of a team that’s done phenomenal work over the past year and they’ve played a key roll.

Employers set their standards and appoint the appropriate skill set. No issue with that, that’s the way of the world. If people don’t make that mark just accept that, wish them luck and appreciate they’ll find their place elsewhere.

There’s zero need for some elitist bullshit branding them as people of a sub standard, from my experiences many of these “idiots” as you term them would out perform yourself in a variety of situations. "

You kind of make the OP's point by stating these 2 porters have GCSE's but lack basic literacy and mathematics skills as for his point on educated idiots I have a friend who went to University achieved a decent 2/2 but I have seen him in work climb into a stuck waste crusher and jump up and down on it to get it working again.

South

"No they are not and I'm not advocating that

I'm saying this govt has had plenty of time in conjunction with the teachers to design an online curriculum and to supply laptops along with parental support

Instead we have this

An admission that the r rate may go up ! "

The government provided no budget for online transition and I’m assuming you haven’t but had you ever been in a state school in the last decade the laptops and wifi is woefully lacking ...... how were schools and teachers supposed to ‘do more’ with no resources

South

"I repeat again and this time perhaps you and the rest of the posters on this forum can answer without the personal asides

Finally I have no problem recruiting staff if they meet my and my firms standards what's your issue with that? "

You’re not actually addressing any of my points ........

Personally I’m not doing my job to recruit for you as I have the whole child in my mind. I am teaching them self respect, how to build and maintain relationships, how to respect community, family and help others. Lining your pockets is the least of my worries I actually hope that most of ‘my kids’ wouldn’t work for someone with your attitude anyway tbh.

South

"To be honest you still do not apply yourself to my basic point:

"

If you voted Tory you’ve answered your own question.

Well there you go

" I'm not recommending cutting edge

start ups in advanced technology cuz, the owner is a Tory voter I think

Also I can't engage in a debate without reducing it to a personal abuse level when I'm confronted with empirical data "

Sums you up really

Thank you and your professions help

In future if I need talent I'll look abroad after these 2 days

By the way I'm not a Tory voter - more biased and prejudiced nonsense

"No they are not and I'm not advocating that

Instead we have this

An admission that the r rate may go up !

The government provided no budget for online transition and I’m assuming you haven’t but had you ever been in a state school in the last decade the laptops and wifi is woefully lacking ...... how were schools and teachers supposed to ‘do more’ with no resources "

My children have gone utterly under the radar. A well being check once a month and a few emails. But no zoom classes, paper packs sent out because of a lack of good WiFi and adequate tech. Teachers not asked for the work to come back in. Luckily I have pushed them to keep up with work, but its terrifying that in effect we have a year worth of education missing for children without any support in the home and school.

A laptop for every pupil, even at £250 each and about 8,000,000 pupils that works out at a lot of money (cant be bothered to work it out bit got to be a 10 figure number) Wonder where that would come from?

Leigh

"A laptop for every pupil, even at £250 each and about 8,000,000 pupils that works out at a lot of money (cant be bothered to work it out bit got to be a 10 figure number) Wonder where that would come from?"

Firstly, even if you advocate providing tech to every pupil free of charge (which we don't) why buy a laptop? Virtually everyone has a television so a Raspberry Pi kit at less than £100 would be perfectly adequate.

Most households have some sort of technology, and pre-recorded lessons are much better in our experience than the live ones where the teacher struggles with the tech for half the time and has to deal with disruptive behaviour for much of the rest of the lesson.

Finally, for those who say the Raspberry Pi is too difficult to use - it is not. We have deliberately given our daughter (coming up to GCSEs) a Linux laptop to increase her awareness of alternatives to the Microsoft monopoly. When the incompetent teachers insist on sending work out as Microsoft Office files it sometimes makes it more difficult for her but it is character building so we aren't going to change.

North West

Incompetent teachers?! For using the technology they have been provided with or that exists on their own computer? We can do right whatever we do. We're dealing with students with every type of technology (and none, sometimes). This is not something the majority of teachers have had to deal with until recently, it's not part of teacher training (online teaching) and it's not something everyone is intuitively good at.

Online education is not just a case of trying to do electronically what you'd do with pen and paper. The National Curriculum was redesigned by Mr Gove to be akin to the 19th century, it is assessed 100% by summative examination (on paper). It is not designed to be easily thrown online.

I've spent the past year trying to train my team remotely, they've done a fucking brilliant job and our Jan exam results are comparable with previous years, suggesting no drop in standard. It's been achieved through an insane amount of extra work (unpaid). We get 30 days annual leave a year (no six week hols for us) and I carried over 17 days. I couldn't take the holidays due to the amount of work required.

But yes, let's bash teachers

North West

*We CAN'T do right whatever we do.

Including type on a mobile phone, apparently.

I’m sorry to hear that

OBO kids everywhere - it’s not good

South

"*We CAN'T do right whatever we do.

Including type on a mobile phone, apparently."

Haha exactly although funnily enough there is a massive recruitment crisis in teaching funny how none of these critics don’t put their money where their mouth is and ‘step up’ isn’t it.....

South

"Incompetent teachers?! For using the technology they have been provided with or that exists on their own computer? We can do right whatever we do. We're dealing with students with every type of technology (and none, sometimes). This is not something the majority of teachers have had to deal with until recently, it's not part of teacher training (online teaching) and it's not something everyone is intuitively good at.

Online education is not just a case of trying to do electronically what you'd do with pen and paper. The National Curriculum was redesigned by Mr Gove to be akin to the 19th century, it is assessed 100% by summative examination (on paper). It is not designed to be easily thrown online.

I've spent the past year trying to train my team remotely, they've done a fucking brilliant job and our Jan exam results are comparable with previous years, suggesting no drop in standard. It's been achieved through an insane amount of extra work (unpaid). We get 30 days annual leave a year (no six week hols for us) and I carried over 17 days. I couldn't take the holidays due to the amount of work required.

But yes, let's bash teachers "

I worked 5 weeks unpaid ..... but yes we are lazy and awful and letting everyone down .....

North West

"*We CAN'T do right whatever we do.

Including type on a mobile phone, apparently.

Haha exactly although funnily enough there is a massive recruitment crisis in teaching funny how none of these critics don’t put their money where their mouth is and ‘step up’ isn’t it..... "

Any other profession that has to cater for such a wide spectrum of "customer", with absolutely no way of raising extra revenue, having to change what they do so fundamentally in a short time, I believe would most certainly have either struggled or failed. Government guidance for education was always released at 6pm on a Friday or a Sunday afternoon, leaving absolutely bugger all time to actually plan properly. Council areas who chose to do sensible things, like move to remote education in December a week earlier than Govt demands, were sanctioned. How in the name of all that is holy have we been expected to make the whole thing perfect?!

Anyone who thinks teaching and education management is easy, feel free to join us and find out.

Leigh

Incompetent as they can't use the "File-export" as pdf instead of just saving the file as .docx or (worst of all) .pptx

Still uses the technology you are given.

North West

"Incompetent as they can't use the "File-export" as pdf instead of just saving the file as .docx or (worst of all) .pptx

Still uses the technology you are given."

Many families have no idea how to edit a PDF, nor possibly have the software to. And before you say "use an online PDF converter", many people don't know about them either. We haven't got time to train IT illiterate parents, unfortunately. We expect electronic worksheets to be filled in electronically and submitted to assignments on the VLE. We are trying to cater to every type of device, software and level of IT literacy.

Ban all tests in schools

Leigh

"Incompetent as they can't use the "File-export" as pdf instead of just saving the file as .docx or (worst of all) .pptx

Many families have no idea how to edit a PDF, nor possibly have the software to. And before you say "use an online PDF converter", many people don't know about them either. We haven't got time to train IT illiterate parents, unfortunately. We expect electronic worksheets to be filled in electronically and submitted to assignments on the VLE. We are trying to cater to every type of device, software and level of IT literacy. "

None of the stuff our daughter gets needs to be filled in electronically.

She prints it all and hand writes all the answers into her books as if she was in school. This is then photographed or scanned for submission. This is the best way as she then gets a full written record for revision.

Electronic submissions are via dedicated quizzes or similar filled in online.

The teachers are addicted to PowerPoint to create the material. Notwithstanding that this is rarely the best software for what they are trying to achieve, if the pupil's machine has a different setup in terms of fonts or software the formatting goes completely haywire. So much so that the meaning of the slide is completely lost.

Pdf eliminates this.

North West

Many families have no idea how to edit a PDF, nor possibly have the software to. And before you say "use an online PDF converter", many people don't know about them either. We haven't got time to train IT illiterate parents, unfortunately. We expect electronic worksheets to be filled in electronically and submitted to assignments on the VLE. We are trying to cater to every type of device, software and level of IT literacy.

None of the stuff our daughter gets needs to be filled in electronically.

She prints it all and hand writes all the answers into her books as if she was in school. This is then photographed or scanned for submission. This is the best way as she then gets a full written record for revision.

Electronic submissions are via dedicated quizzes or similar filled in online.

The teachers are addicted to PowerPoint to create the material. Notwithstanding that this is rarely the best software for what they are trying to achieve, if the pupil's machine has a different setup in terms of fonts or software the formatting goes completely haywire. So much so that the meaning of the slide is completely lost.

Pdf eliminates this."

We're teaching international students who are, in the main, studying in their home country this year. I'm dealing with every type of device and software quite literally on Earth (including home built). I'm catering to students in every time zone from -7 GMT to +9 GMT (thank God the kid with a Vanuatu passport is NOT in Vanuatu!). We expect everything to be done electronically. Many have never heard of Adobe and there's significant issues with internet filters in many countries. We provide access to Microsoft 365 through the VLE so all students have a consistent software tool for lessons.

Leigh

"We provide access to Microsoft 365 through the VLE so all students have a consistent software tool for lessons. "

But our daughter's school doesn't do this yet still persists in sending work out in a proprietary format.

In terms of being lazy, teachers are certainly not. We give them 10/10 for effort.

They are however, in the main, technologically incompetent so maybe 3/10 is generous. Technology is essential for modern education so this is inexcusable. If you are a joiner you need to know how to use a hammer. If you are a teacher you need to know how to use a computer.

North West

"We provide access to Microsoft 365 through the VLE so all students have a consistent software tool for lessons.

But our daughter's school doesn't do this yet still persists in sending work out in a proprietary format.

In terms of being lazy, teachers are certainly not. We give them 10/10 for effort.

They are however, in the main, technologically incompetent so maybe 3/10 is generous. Technology is essential for modern education so this is inexcusable. If you are a joiner you need to know how to use a hammer. If you are a teacher you need to know how to use a computer."

The amount of technology and types required to facilitate decent online teaching have not been required in mainstream education until the Covid era. The curriculum was designed by someone who wanted it to resemble something from public education in the 19th century. Quill and vellum type stuff. Not electronic anything. Teachers are training students to do things like memorise poetry, handwrite exams onto paper scripts. That's what teachers have been trained to do. Blame the Government (in particular Michael Gove) for establishing a curriculum fit for Queen Victoria rather than the 21st century.

Leigh

"Quill and vellum type stuff. Not electronic anything. Teachers are training students to do things like memorise poetry, handwrite exams onto paper scripts. That's what teachers have been trained to do. Blame the Government (in particular Michael Gove) for establishing a curriculum fit for Queen Victoria rather than the 21st century."

Why does it have to be different if the lesson is electronic? Just record the lesson as a video and the students can go through it at their own pace, using the accompanying materials. Provided the accompanying materials have not been supplied in a format that moves all the graphics and text about unless you have the same computer setup as the teacher.

Handwriting stuff is proven by many studies to be more effective in terms of remembering content than electronic methods.

North West

"Quill and vellum type stuff. Not electronic anything. Teachers are training students to do things like memorise poetry, handwrite exams onto paper scripts. That's what teachers have been trained to do. Blame the Government (in particular Michael Gove) for establishing a curriculum fit for Queen Victoria rather than the 21st century.

Why does it have to be different if the lesson is electronic? Just record the lesson as a video and the students can go through it at their own pace, using the accompanying materials. Provided the accompanying materials have not been supplied in a format that moves all the graphics and text about unless you have the same computer setup as the teacher.

Handwriting stuff is proven by many studies to be more effective in terms of remembering content than electronic methods."

Do you think lessons in school are just one long lecture? You can't just record a video and expect children to follow everything for themselves. They need to interact with the teacher, discuss with their peers etc. We are heavily DISCOURAGED from the sort of (19th century) teaching methods you describe, yet in schools, the structure of the curriculum is 19th century.

We provide the following per week, per module:

Total = 6.66hrs divided into:

1x lecture

2x self guided online lessons

2x live lessons with a teacher in the online classroom

1x feedback session

The main "complaint" from our post-16 students is they want every single minute of the 6.66hrs to be live with a teacher. For us, that's impossible with the time zone issue. Trust me, as an experienced education professional, teaching online effectively is not a simple case of trying to replicate what is done in a paper based classroom.

What you describe may possibly work for older, motivated, bright students who have significant parental support but it most certainly does not work for the majority of students and would be considered appalling practice from a pedagogical perspective.

Dudley

I wonder how many people complaining about schools opening would be perfectly happy to have pubs, gyms, clubs, hairdressers etc opening?

"I wonder how many people complaining about schools opening would be perfectly happy to have pubs, gyms, clubs, hairdressers etc opening?"

Absolutely

South

"Quill and vellum type stuff. Not electronic anything. Teachers are training students to do things like memorise poetry, handwrite exams onto paper scripts. That's what teachers have been trained to do. Blame the Government (in particular Michael Gove) for establishing a curriculum fit for Queen Victoria rather than the 21st century.

Handwriting stuff is proven by many studies to be more effective in terms of remembering content than electronic methods."

Hahaha I teach 7 year olds ,..... I’m assuming you have no clue how to plan deliver and assess for 35 of those in addition to keeping them all motivated and paying attention. No?

Leigh

"Hahaha I teach 7 year olds ,..... I’m assuming you have no clue how to plan deliver and assess for 35 of those in addition to keeping them all motivated and paying attention. No?"

As we said in our original reply, our daughter is approaching GCSE. That is the level our comments are directed at.

In years 10 & 11 the students should be able to (and be self motivated to) learn from recorded lessons. The technological incompetence of sending study material out in a proprietary format is still an annoyance though.

Having said that, it is only GCSE so it is easy enough for me to explain a concept in more detail on the rare occasion it is not understood from the teaching. Also, we very often discuss wider issues around a topic to ensure our daughter has a good appreciation of why she is learning something. School can only give a bare bones flavour of learning, which should be life-long, and is the sum of your experiences as well as formal tuition.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I wonder how many people complaining about schools opening would be perfectly happy to have pubs, gyms, clubs, hairdressers etc opening?"

Priorities. Children get the best education they can or we get our drinky-poos? Honestly

North West

"Hahaha I teach 7 year olds ,..... I’m assuming you have no clue how to plan deliver and assess for 35 of those in addition to keeping them all motivated and paying attention. No?

As we said in our original reply, our daughter is approaching GCSE. That is the level our comments are directed at.

In years 10 & 11 the students should be able to (and be self motivated to) learn from recorded lessons. The technological incompetence of sending study material out in a proprietary format is still an annoyance though.

Having said that, it is only GCSE so it is easy enough for me to explain a concept in more detail on the rare occasion it is not understood from the teaching. Also, we very often discuss wider issues around a topic to ensure our daughter has a good appreciation of why she is learning something. School can only give a bare bones flavour of learning, which should be life-long, and is the sum of your experiences as well as formal tuition."

You can teach GCSE in all subjects to the level of a specialist teacher? Maths, English language, English literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Spanish/French/German, History, Geography, Design & Technology, possibly Religious Studies, Art, Drama etc etc? Yeah, ok.

South

"Hahaha I teach 7 year olds ,..... I’m assuming you have no clue how to plan deliver and assess for 35 of those in addition to keeping them all motivated and paying attention. No?

Having said that, it is only GCSE so it is easy enough for me to explain a concept in more detail on the rare occasion it is not understood from the teaching. Also, we very often discuss wider issues around a topic to ensure our daughter has a good appreciation of why she is learning something. School can only give a bare bones flavour of learning, which should be life-long, and is the sum of your experiences as well as formal tuition."

You were talking ‘schools’ and ‘teachers’ and gave us 3/10 for tech awareness? Now you’re saying ‘oh we didn’t mean you’ ... not quite as simple as you thought eh.

South

‘Should be able to’ .... in reality you’re looking at a bank of blank screens parents who aren’t assisting in motivation and a total inability to motivate from afar. I wish we did live in the perfect world you seem to think is school but the reality just is t like that: maybe spend some time as a volunteer in a school of you really want to know what it’s like.

South

Having said that, it is only GCSE so it is easy enough for me to explain a concept in more detail on the rare occasion it is not understood from the teaching. Also, we very often discuss wider issues around a topic to ensure our daughter has a good appreciation of why she is learning something. School can only give a bare bones flavour of learning, which should be life-long, and is the sum of your experiences as well as formal tuition.

You can teach GCSE in all subjects to the level of a specialist teacher? Maths, English language, English literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Spanish/French/German, History, Geography, Design & Technology, possibly Religious Studies, Art, Drama etc etc? Yeah, ok."

Lol we have an expert amongst us .....

Havent read the thread but our whole secondary school, or as many as signed the consent forms, have been tested with no positives according to the school email. So that feels good.

Well, in fairness you have made the assumption my business is in Wolverhampton

It's not

Also, that my profile pic is really me

You believe what you will

And make the assumption I'm stupid enough to divulge my real identity on a swingers site

This was a pretty easy swipe to spot

Btw

On a mooch

"Havent read the thread but our whole secondary school, or as many as signed the consent forms, have been tested with no positives according to the school email. So that feels good. "

Same here with an 87% uptake and with just over half of the parents stating their household are doing the tests as well, at home.

Dudley

"Well, in fairness you have made the assumption my business is in Wolverhampton

It's not

Also, that my profile pic is really me

You believe what you will

And make the assumption I'm stupid enough to divulge my real identity on a swingers site

This was a pretty easy swipe to spot

Btw "

Ah, so you're fake? Wonderful.

Hopefully a mod reads this and takes appropriate action.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

One issue with that assumption is that we have to take into account that the aforementioned businesses reopened with significant restrictions and changes designed to minimise the chances of infection.

When schools reopened it seems like very few effective changes were made.

It's not a choice between adults having "drinks poos" or kids being educated, pubs/restaurants/gyms/leisure represent peoples livelihoods, businesses, lives etc. It really shouldn't be a choice between one or the other especially when the evidence often did not warrant the closure of said businesses.

North West

"I wonder how many people complaining about schools opening would be perfectly happy to have pubs, gyms, clubs, hairdressers etc opening?

One issue with that assumption is that we have to take into account that the aforementioned businesses reopened with significant restrictions and changes designed to minimise the chances of infection.

It's not a choice between adults having "drinks poos" or kids being educated, pubs/restaurants/gyms/leisure represent peoples livelihoods, businesses, lives etc. It really shouldn't be a choice between one or the other especially when the evidence often did not warrant the closure of said businesses."

Schools have reopened in the way prescribed by the Government. They have been told to get all students into class, full time. Not sure if you've been inside a school recently, but there isn't space to socially distance in classrooms and have schools open FT. So, instead we...

1) Wear masks

2) Insist on regular hand washing/sanitiser

3) Cease activities that involve shared equipment OR spend funds out of other budgets to by one per pupil

4) Create complex bubble arrangements to minimise mixing of different students

5) Stagger arrival/start and finish times plus break and lunchtime to minimise mixing. This all has to be supervised too, so there's a staffing implication

6) Stop things like changing for PE, kids arrive in PE kit on days where they have it, even when it's fucking freezing and they're walking round in little gym skirts/shorts

7) Having all the windows open in all weathers (see aforementioned comment under "fucking freezing")

8) Supervising mass testing and internal track and trace systems

9) Continuing to support students who have to isolate or stay off for other reasons, while the majority are in class, with exactly the same provision as the ones in class

10) Reworking timetables and staffing to keep students in one classroom the majority of the day to avoid mixing.

But yeah, nothing changed.

Dudley

"I wonder how many people complaining about schools opening would be perfectly happy to have pubs, gyms, clubs, hairdressers etc opening?

It's not a choice between adults having "drinks poos" or kids being educated, pubs/restaurants/gyms/leisure represent peoples livelihoods, businesses, lives etc. It really shouldn't be a choice between one or the other especially when the evidence often did not warrant the closure of said businesses."

As the person above me said, there have been multiple changes in schools.

Also, are you really trying to tell me school doesn't represent any of those things for the children that attend? I can assure you it does.

NW London

It's not a choice between adults having "drinks poos" or kids being educated, pubs/restaurants/gyms/leisure represent peoples livelihoods, businesses, lives etc. It really shouldn't be a choice between one or the other especially when the evidence often did not warrant the closure of said businesses.

Also, are you really trying to tell me school doesn't represent any of those things for the children that attend? I can assure you it does. "

It does, I do agree that educating children is a very important thing as its obvious that home schooling isn't working and is leaving some pupils behind.

I just think that the measures brought in don't address the key issue that given class sizes and space available adequate social distancing isn't often achievable. The other measures (such as face coverings and opening windows) are merely a sticking plaster. I just haven't seen much creative thought or constructive solutions.

Also, I don't see why reopening schools and businesses seem to be mutually exclusive to one another.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Schools have reopened in the way prescribed by the Government. They have been told to get all students into class, full time. Not sure if you've been inside a school recently, but there isn't space to socially distance in classrooms and have schools open FT. So, instead we...

1) Wear masks

3) Cease activities that involve shared equipment OR spend funds out of other budgets to by one per pupil

5) Stagger arrival/start and finish times plus break and lunchtime to minimise mixing. This all has to be supervised too, so there's a staffing implication

6) Stop things like changing for PE, kids arrive in PE kit on days where they have it, even when it's fucking freezing and they're walking round in little gym skirts/shorts

7) Having all the windows open in all weathers (see aforementioned comment under "fucking freezing")

9) Continuing to support students who have to isolate or stay off for other reasons, while the majority are in class, with exactly the same provision as the ones in class

10) Reworking timetables and staffing to keep students in one classroom the majority of the day to avoid mixing.

But yeah, nothing changed."

You come across as sounding bitter

If you don't like it quit you don't have to do the fucking job it is just a job

South

1) Wear masks

If you don't like it quit you don't have to do the fucking job it is just a job "

What you don’t seem to grasp is the fact that teachers LOVE their job but we are fair game open season to anyone and everyone as you seem to think our job and how we do it is your business. So we love our jobs just sick to the back teeth of armchair experts who know fuck all about school and kids and education thinking they know better.

"I teach students from South East and East Asia. They're excellent at passing knowledge based exams. Generally incredibly poor at applying knowledge, at practical, hands on stuff (because their teachers do it for them). They struggle massively in UK high education because they don't have their hands held. Frequency of mental health problems among students from Korea, China etc is insane. Many want to do something else but parental pressure sends them down a pre-set path. I know which education system I'd pick for my kids.

Why do they come here for their higher education?

Because they believe UK (or US) higher education is better than that provided in their own countries and makes them internationally employable."

Dudley

Also, are you really trying to tell me school doesn't represent any of those things for the children that attend? I can assure you it does.

It does, I do agree that educating children is a very important thing as its obvious that home schooling isn't working and is leaving some pupils behind.

I just think that the measures brought in don't address the key issue that given class sizes and space available adequate social distancing isn't often achievable. The other measures (such as face coverings and opening windows) are merely a sticking plaster. I just haven't seen much creative thought or constructive solutions.

Also, I don't see why reopening schools and businesses seem to be mutually exclusive to one another."

Unfortunately, schools weren't designed with social distancing in mind. They are doing the best they can with limited resources.

My daughters school is treating every year group as a separate bubble, they enter and leave at different times, have different areas in the 'playground', staggered lunch and break times, they have full time cleaners that wipe down door handles, rails, toilets etc between classes, the seats and tables are wiped down between classes.

As for businesses and schools opening, education is absolutely vital for children, many other businesses are not vital. It's unfortunate that not everything can open yet, and yes, small businesses will suffer, but it's already been proven that opening things up too quickly causes another peak in the virus, that is the last thing we need.

North West

1) Wear masks

What you don’t seem to grasp is the fact that teachers LOVE their job but we are fair game open season to anyone and everyone as you seem to think our job and how we do it is your business. So we love our jobs just sick to the back teeth of armchair experts who know fuck all about school and kids and education thinking they know better. "

This

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

As for businesses and schools opening, education is absolutely vital for children, many other businesses are not vital. It's unfortunate that not everything can open yet, and yes, small businesses will suffer, but it's already been proven that opening things up too quickly causes another peak in the virus, that is the last thing we need. "

Yes. That was the thrust of my drinky-poos comment. Education should be one of the nation's highest priorities.

I'm largely silent on these issues because I don't have children (and received my primary and secondary education overseas) but - I support teachers.

Tin town

1) Wear masks

What you don’t seem to grasp is the fact that teachers LOVE their job but we are fair game open season to anyone and everyone as you seem to think our job and how we do it is your business. So we love our jobs just sick to the back teeth of armchair experts who know fuck all about school and kids and education thinking they know better. "

Just to be clear. Are you suggesting that parents know fuck all about school and kids and that their child's education is none of their business ? And that they should not be involved in their child's education? Or work together with their teachers to educate their child? Or indeed that all teachers are perfect and can not benefit from 360 degree feedback? Or make mistakes or show favouritism to certain children or actually are simply not very good teachers and parents need to do what is best for their child?

In my opinion I have absolute right to ensure my child gets the best education for them so they can be the best they can be....and that means being involved with their education, which doesn't only happen while they are at school, supporting them and their teachers where appropriate and sometimes that support means highlighting deficiencies and as I have always done... Asking them what I can do to support them.

North West

We're not suggesting parents know nothing about their kids education. We're just sick of the mechanics of what we do, our training and every other aspect of what we do being shredded by people who have little idea about pedagogy, how the school system works behind the scenes etc.

For example, I am not a structural engineer. I would not presume to lecture one on how to build a bridge. I would not presume to lecture my gynaecologist about how to carry out my surgery. But everyone seems to think they know how to be a teacher.

If the UK education system was so riddled with poor teachers or was an inherently poor system, I'd be out of a job, because we wouldn't have students from across the globe clamouring to get a British education.

South

1) Wear masks

What you don’t seem to grasp is the fact that teachers LOVE their job but we are fair game open season to anyone and everyone as you seem to think our job and how we do it is your business. So we love our jobs just sick to the back teeth of armchair experts who know fuck all about school and kids and education thinking they know better.

Just to be clear. Are you suggesting that parents know fuck all about school and kids and that their child's education is none of their business ? And that they should not be involved in their child's education? Or work together with their teachers to educate their child? Or indeed that all teachers are perfect and can not benefit from 360 degree feedback? Or make mistakes or show favouritism to certain children or actually are simply not very good teachers and parents need to do what is best for their child?

In my opinion I have absolute right to ensure my child gets the best education for them so they can be the best they can be....and that means being involved with their education, which doesn't only happen while they are at school, supporting them and their teachers where appropriate and sometimes that support means highlighting deficiencies and as I have always done... Asking them what I can do to support them. "

I think you know about as much about delivering my job as I know about yours. I think you have one child and I have currently 34 to ‘prioritise’ so no I don’t think you have a clue what it takes to do my job. I think as a parent you need to work with the experts (ie teachers) instead of working against us.

South

[Removed by poster at 15/03/21 11:55:59]

Tin town

"We're not suggesting parents know nothing about their kids education. We're just sick of the mechanics of what we do, our training and every other aspect of what we do being shredded by people who have little idea about pedagogy, how the school system works behind the scenes etc.

For example, I am not a structural engineer. I would not presume to lecture one on how to build a bridge. I would not presume to lecture my gynaecologist about how to carry out my surgery. But everyone seems to think they know how to be a teacher.

If the UK education system was so riddled with poor teachers or was an inherently poor system, I'd be out of a job, because we wouldn't have students from across the globe clamouring to get a British education. "

Well i partially agree. And we have digressed from my post a little. I have never said we are riddled with poor teachers or that our system is inherently flawed. I think we do have some poor teachers and we have some poor processes and we should not defend them, rather aspire to improve them. I think this last year has put some things in the spotlight and hopefully changes for the long term benefit.

I have experiences of long in the tooth teachers and head teachers who are just waiting for the exit lounge and running the clock down on their retirement, not performing but unable to be moved on, and when eventually replaced it has been like somebody suddenly turned the power on and light was shone to all corners. The power of excellent teaching is quite remarkable. We put our children in someone else's hands and ask them to make something of them. We have some great teachers and great processes. I think good teachers and good education should be supported. We all have a massive vested interest in having a well educated child developing into our society. Conversely I don't think the ones who are not doing a great job should be presented as they are doing great work ... As with any profession, we should be open to constructive criticism and improvement.

Tin town

1) Wear masks

In my opinion I have absolute right to ensure my child gets the best education for them so they can be the best they can be....and that means being involved with their education, which doesn't only happen while they are at school, supporting them and their teachers where appropriate and sometimes that support means highlighting deficiencies and as I have always done... Asking them what I can do to support them.

I think you know about as much about delivering my job as I know about yours. I think you have one child and I have currently 34 to ‘prioritise’ so no I don’t think you have a clue what it takes to do my job. I think as a parent you need to work with the experts (ie teachers) instead of working against us. "

And if you read what I wrote you see ... I say exactly that.

North West

"We're not suggesting parents know nothing about their kids education. We're just sick of the mechanics of what we do, our training and every other aspect of what we do being shredded by people who have little idea about pedagogy, how the school system works behind the scenes etc.

If the UK education system was so riddled with poor teachers or was an inherently poor system, I'd be out of a job, because we wouldn't have students from across the globe clamouring to get a British education.

Well i partially agree. And we have digressed from my post a little. I have never said we are riddled with poor teachers or that our system is inherently flawed. I think we do have some poor teachers and we have some poor processes and we should not defend them, rather aspire to improve them. I think this last year has put some things in the spotlight and hopefully changes for the long term benefit.

I have experiences of long in the tooth teachers and head teachers who are just waiting for the exit lounge and running the clock down on their retirement, not performing but unable to be moved on, and when eventually replaced it has been like somebody suddenly turned the power on and light was shone to all corners. The power of excellent teaching is quite remarkable. We put our children in someone else's hands and ask them to make something of them. We have some great teachers and great processes. I think good teachers and good education should be supported. We all have a massive vested interest in having a well educated child developing into our society. Conversely I don't think the ones who are not doing a great job should be presented as they are doing great work ... As with any profession, we should be open to constructive criticism and improvement.

"

The key phrase there is "constructive". Previous posters have described teachers en mass as "incompetent" and made a ream of highly idealistic suggestions that are simply not possible. That's the problem. We ALL (education professionals included) have tons of ideas to make things better, but the problem is that the curriculum (set by the Govt), the modes of assessment, the rules, the funding etc doesn't allow for many very good ideas being implemented.

It's not teachers fault about much of the negative things in education, it's the system itself and we do not build the system. We're easy targets for things that, in many cases, are outside their control.

Right, I shall stop procrastinating from my compulsory annual training in a bunch of statutory things......

NW London

Also, I don't see why reopening schools and businesses seem to be mutually exclusive to one another.

Unfortunately, schools weren't designed with social distancing in mind. They are doing the best they can with limited resources.

My daughters school is treating every year group as a separate bubble, they enter and leave at different times, have different areas in the 'playground', staggered lunch and break times, they have full time cleaners that wipe down door handles, rails, toilets etc between classes, the seats and tables are wiped down between classes.

As for businesses and schools opening, education is absolutely vital for children, many other businesses are not vital. It's unfortunate that not everything can open yet, and yes, small businesses will suffer, but it's already been proven that opening things up too quickly causes another peak in the virus, that is the last thing we need. "

It sounds like your daughters school are taking some sensible measures, hopefully time will tell that the authorities have got it right this time.

I do also question what the obsession is with everything else opening up at virtually the same time, I would of thought that a staggered opening would have been more sensible? Although there are a number of things which I would think low risk enough (leisure centres/gyms and restaurants) which could of opened by now to ease the pressure on other businesses. It isn't just a case of small businesses suffering, their owners face losing everything.

Tin town

As for businesses and schools opening, education is absolutely vital for children, many other businesses are not vital. It's unfortunate that not everything can open yet, and yes, small businesses will suffer, but it's already been proven that opening things up too quickly causes another peak in the virus, that is the last thing we need.

It sounds like your daughters school are taking some sensible measures, hopefully time will tell that the authorities have got it right this time.

I do also question what the obsession is with everything else opening up at virtually the same time, I would of thought that a staggered opening would have been more sensible? Although there are a number of things which I would think low risk enough (leisure centres/gyms and restaurants) which could of opened by now to ease the pressure on other businesses. It isn't just a case of small businesses suffering, their owners face losing everything."

That's a great point

On a mooch

I do also question what the obsession is with everything else opening up at virtually the same time, I would of thought that a staggered opening would have been more sensible? Although there are a number of things which I would think low risk enough (leisure centres/gyms and restaurants) which could of opened by now to ease the pressure on other businesses. It isn't just a case of small businesses suffering, their owners face losing everything."

I think this time, as the schools were blamed as the main source of spread, it’s good they keep the gap and to be able to get a clear idea if that is true or not. If other businesses open where adults mostly go at the same time as schools how would they get a clear picture of whether restrictions in schools are working.

Leigh

"Previous posters have described teachers en mass as "incompetent" and made a ream of highly idealistic suggestions that are simply not possible."

We stand by the use of "incompetent". There are several layers of incompetency based on the experience of our Y10 daughter:

- Incompetence in people who set up the system (at government level);

- Incompetence in the high level school management;

- Individual teacher incompetence.

There was no good reason we could see that learning couldn't have been online in the Summer term last year. There were several weeks to prepare and some schools managed it. Our daughter's school only managed to use the homework app to set slightly more homework than would have been set if they were in school full time anyway. This took less that 2 days to finish (to a very high standard). Some parents bleated that their little darlings "couldn't cope" and were "stressed" by the amount of work. Instead of doubling the workload as they should have done to keep the kids occupied all week, the school halved it. The failure to set up an effective online learning method (using Teams or similar, which all pupils had access to anyway) then reducing the workload to nearly zero was a failure of the school management team and, in our view, amounts to incompetence.

Only when forced to by law (after the Autumn half term) did the school make any real effort to set up an online learning system. This took until after Christmas to be effective. Even then, our daughter had to look through all the work set for the day as the first job, then email all the teachers who had failed to attach the video, incorrectly set the permissions, failed to attach the worksheets, attached the wrong work, failed to add the live lessons to the Teams calendar etc. As she was one of the first to start work every day (at 0815, after our 4 mile walk) it became very frustrating as the issues often weren't resolved until mid-morning. This meant that it pushed back the finish time most days. This is completely ignoring the general IT illiteracy which leads to files being sent out to pupils (who will open them on a wide variety of devices) in formats where the page layouts can change enough to change the meaning of the document if it is not opened in Office 365 on a PC. These issues applied to about 2/3 of the teachers, and it was always the same ones. The same teachers usually had difficulty using Teams for live lessons, or had other IT issues which were detrimental to the learning experience. For this to happen once or twice at the beginning of a new method of working may be excusable, more than that and it is justified to call it teacher incompetence.

The final one has been mentioned in other posts, which is system failures. The system failure not mentioned in the above posts is that the schools were still responsible for their pupils while they were working at home. This meant that the teachers had to spend a disproportionate amout of time chasing up pupils who didn't want to learn and never turned up to the form or live lessons. In reality this should be the parents' responsibility, not the schools'.

North West

Sexy_horny, you come and give it a go then.

Teachers have been teaching from home on their own machines with their own internet. One of my teachers does not possess a mobile phone and still does not have home internet. We provided a 4G dongle but it is not 100% reliable. We have a teacher living in a large HMO where there is constant background noise and excessive demand of 7 or 8 people trying to use the broadband provided by the landlord. He cannot upgrade it himself, nor find a quiet space to teach from. We have staff living in rural areas with limited access to anything other than very basic broadband which does not support video streaming effectively, nor do 4G dongles work well when there is limited reception.

Our centre is closed by Govt demand so we cannot allow staff to come and work from the centre, they have to manage at home.

Mainstream schools generally are signed up to an LEA or other collective provision, hence the widespread use of Office 365. We are trying to cater to every single type of device, platform, software, internet speed in student's homes. Parents and guardians are on a spectrum of IT literacy from very advanced to not a bloody clue. We have to cater to all of those in the same way.

I happen to know the area you live in very well (if it's accurate), and there are some very good schools. If your daughter's school is so shockingly bad, have you considered moving her to somewhere better? Or have you considered whether your idealistic views on IT are not implementable by absolutely everyone and you are very fortunate to be so savvy and knowledgeable??

Leigh

"If your daughter's school is so shockingly bad, have you considered moving her to somewhere better?"

We gave her free choice of school. She is settled there, reasonably happy, and doing well.

We are not convinced any of the schools around here have done significantly better, certainly not to the extent that it would offset the disruption of moving school.

North West

"If your daughter's school is so shockingly bad, have you considered moving her to somewhere better?

We gave her free choice of school. She is settled there, reasonably happy, and doing well.

We are not convinced any of the schools around here have done significantly better, certainly not to the extent that it would offset the disruption of moving school."

I can assure you that if your daughter is going to attend a UK university, she will need to prepare to use Microsoft office products, unless she's going into Art, Music Production or similar which tend more towards Apple.

Tin town

"Sexy_horny, you come and give it a go then.

Teachers have been teaching from home on their own machines with their own internet. One of my teachers does not possess a mobile phone and still does not have home internet. We provided a 4G dongle but it is not 100% reliable. We have a teacher living in a large HMO where there is constant background noise and excessive demand of 7 or 8 people trying to use the broadband provided by the landlord. He cannot upgrade it himself, nor find a quiet space to teach from. We have staff living in rural areas with limited access to anything other than very basic broadband which does not support video streaming effectively, nor do 4G dongles work well when there is limited reception.

Our centre is closed by Govt demand so we cannot allow staff to come and work from the centre, they have to manage at home.

Mainstream schools generally are signed up to an LEA or other collective provision, hence the widespread use of Office 365. We are trying to cater to every single type of device, platform, software, internet speed in student's homes. Parents and guardians are on a spectrum of IT literacy from very advanced to not a bloody clue. We have to cater to all of those in the same way.

I happen to know the area you live in very well (if it's accurate), and there are some very good schools. If your daughter's school is so shockingly bad, have you considered moving her to somewhere better? Or have you considered whether your idealistic views on IT are not implementable by absolutely everyone and you are very fortunate to be so savvy and knowledgeable??"

A teacher without a mobile phone or Internet? Seriously?

South

I happen to know the area you live in very well (if it's accurate), and there are some very good schools. If your daughter's school is so shockingly bad, have you considered moving her to somewhere better? Or have you considered whether your idealistic views on IT are not implementable by absolutely everyone and you are very fortunate to be so savvy and knowledgeable??

"

Why not? It’s not obligatory it’s not one of the teaching standards to own a phone or the internet.

South

"Previous posters have described teachers en mass as "incompetent" and made a ream of highly idealistic suggestions that are simply not possible.

We stand by the use of "incompetent". There are several layers of incompetency based on the experience of our Y10 daughter:

- Incompetence in people who set up the system (at government level);

- Incompetence in the high level school management;

- Individual teacher incompetence.

There was no good reason we could see that learning couldn't have been online in the Summer term last year. There were several weeks to prepare and some schools managed it. Our daughter's school only managed to use the homework app to set slightly more homework than would have been set if they were in school full time anyway. This took less that 2 days to finish (to a very high standard). Some parents bleated that their little darlings "couldn't cope" and were "stressed" by the amount of work. Instead of doubling the workload as they should have done to keep the kids occupied all week, the school halved it. The failure to set up an effective online learning method (using Teams or similar, which all pupils had access to anyway) then reducing the workload to nearly zero was a failure of the school management team and, in our view, amounts to incompetence.

Only when forced to by law (after the Autumn half term) did the school make any real effort to set up an online learning system. This took until after Christmas to be effective. Even then, our daughter had to look through all the work set for the day as the first job, then email all the teachers who had failed to attach the video, incorrectly set the permissions, failed to attach the worksheets, attached the wrong work, failed to add the live lessons to the Teams calendar etc. As she was one of the first to start work every day (at 0815, after our 4 mile walk) it became very frustrating as the issues often weren't resolved until mid-morning. This meant that it pushed back the finish time most days. This is completely ignoring the general IT illiteracy which leads to files being sent out to pupils (who will open them on a wide variety of devices) in formats where the page layouts can change enough to change the meaning of the document if it is not opened in Office 365 on a PC. These issues applied to about 2/3 of the teachers, and it was always the same ones. The same teachers usually had difficulty using Teams for live lessons, or had other IT issues which were detrimental to the learning experience. For this to happen once or twice at the beginning of a new method of working may be excusable, more than that and it is justified to call it teacher incompetence.

The final one has been mentioned in other posts, which is system failures. The system failure not mentioned in the above posts is that the schools were still responsible for their pupils while they were working at home. This meant that the teachers had to spend a disproportionate amout of time chasing up pupils who didn't want to learn and never turned up to the form or live lessons. In reality this should be the parents' responsibility, not the schools'."

So my question is if the school are failing her then are you not failing her as parents by not moving her?

North West

"

Yep. He doesn't want either at home. I can't force him. I inherited him from a previous regime. He hasn't needed either until the Covid pandemic because obviously the teaching centre has computers and internet and he did his prep etc there. Paper based marking doesn't need computers if the person prints off mark schemes, keeps handwritten scores and updates the tracking spreadsheet when they are in. I can't dictate that someone must own a personal mobile phone or computer.

He now has a school issue laptop, 4G dongle and token for MFA, but the 4G isn't great in rural Cheshire it would seem.

He teaches Physics, btw.

Leigh

"I can assure you that if your daughter is going to attend a UK university, she will need to prepare to use Microsoft office products, unless she's going into Art, Music Production or similar which tend more towards Apple. "

She can use a wide variety of products very well. This includes Microsoft, Apple, Android and Linux.

Our point is that, if material does not need to be edited electronically, it is poor practice to distribute it in proprietary formats, which don't necessarily keep the page formatting (therefore the sense) of the documant when opened on devices configured differently, or using different software to, the ones they were created on.

North West

"I can assure you that if your daughter is going to attend a UK university, she will need to prepare to use Microsoft office products, unless she's going into Art, Music Production or similar which tend more towards Apple.

She can use a wide variety of products very well. This includes Microsoft, Apple, Android and Linux.

Our point is that, if material does not need to be edited electronically, it is poor practice to distribute it in proprietary formats, which don't necessarily keep the page formatting (therefore the sense) of the documant when opened on devices configured differently, or using different software to, the ones they were created on."

At uni, she will be expected to edit documents electronically and submit them through anti plagiarism software like Turnitin. She will need to get used to that and no amount of you saying otherwise will change the whole UK higher education landscape.

Leigh

"So my question is if the school are failing her then are you not failing her as parents by not moving her? "

Neither. The school is not failing her, nor is she failing to achieve her (high) potential as far as we are aware, although only the final grades will tell the full story.

This is because she is diligent and motivated enough to work through and past the frustrations of losing a term of learning for no reason and having to deal with the online learning issues previously outlined.

South

"So my question is if the school are failing her then are you not failing her as parents by not moving her?

Neither. The school is not failing her, nor is she failing to achieve her (high) potential as far as we are aware, although only the final grades will tell the full story.

This is because she is diligent and motivated enough to work through and past the frustrations of losing a term of learning for no reason and having to deal with the online learning issues previously outlined."

So you’re just nit picking when there is no need then.if the school are performing and your daughter is achieving surely when the rest of the country are falling apart at the seams surely you need to be thanking the school not bitching about them on the internet.

South

Ps I also don’t agree that a child’s grades tell us whether or not they are achieving their full potential children are far far more than exam results.

Leigh

We are not nit picking. Agreed there is a bit of a bug circulating which has caused difficulties however our business transition to online working happened overnight with little disruption.

Schools are a bit more difficult, however the disruption should only have been short term, maybe a few weeks. For there still to be issues nearly a year after the first lockdown is poor. They are all back in school at the moment so we'll see how that goes.

Of course people are the sum of their experiences not just grades however in order to be able to choose exactly what to do in later life having high grades is helpful. You generally have to work for many times longer than you are in education so hard work now pays off in the long run.

South

"We are not nit picking. Agreed there is a bit of a bug circulating which has caused difficulties however our business transition to online working happened overnight with little disruption.

Schools are a bit more difficult, however the disruption should only have been short term, maybe a few weeks. For there still to be issues nearly a year after the first lockdown is poor. They are all back in school at the moment so we'll see how that goes.

Of course people are the sum of their experiences not just grades however in order to be able to choose exactly what to do in later life having high grades is helpful. You generally have to work for many times longer than you are in education so hard work now pays off in the long run."

‘Bit of a bug’ ... 125000 dead .... many thousands in hospital (including 8 of my colleagues btw youngest 29 with no underlyings) ..... many thousands more losing businesses, homes and their loved ones.

I think Tesco spent 11 million making their stores covid safe ... how much did schools get? Nothing ... not even a budget for extra cleaning so teachers were asked to do the cleaning.

Your arrogance is astounding

NW London

I do also question what the obsession is with everything else opening up at virtually the same time, I would of thought that a staggered opening would have been more sensible? Although there are a number of things which I would think low risk enough (leisure centres/gyms and restaurants) which could of opened by now to ease the pressure on other businesses. It isn't just a case of small businesses suffering, their owners face losing everything.

I think this time, as the schools were blamed as the main source of spread, it’s good they keep the gap and to be able to get a clear idea if that is true or not. If other businesses open where adults mostly go at the same time as schools how would they get a clear picture of whether restrictions in schools are working. "

That's an interesting theory, I hadn't considered that one

Tin town

"We are not nit picking. Agreed there is a bit of a bug circulating which has caused difficulties however our business transition to online working happened overnight with little disruption.

Of course people are the sum of their experiences not just grades however in order to be able to choose exactly what to do in later life having high grades is helpful. You generally have to work for many times longer than you are in education so hard work now pays off in the long run.

‘Bit of a bug’ ... 125000 dead .... many thousands in hospital (including 8 of my colleagues btw youngest 29 with no underlyings) ..... many thousands more losing businesses, homes and their loved ones.

I think Tesco spent 11 million making their stores covid safe ... how much did schools get? Nothing ... not even a budget for extra cleaning so teachers were asked to do the cleaning.

Your arrogance is astounding "

I think one of the problems in the debate is some people look at ways of making things happen and some look for ways to stop them happening. Teachers were asked to clean between lessons sometimes and most that I know got on with it. This pandemic has asked many people to do many things that they don't want to do or have never done before.

South

Your arrogance is astounding

I think one of the problems in the debate is some people look at ways of making things happen and some look for ways to stop them happening. Teachers were asked to clean between lessons sometimes and most that I know got on with it. This pandemic has asked many people to do many things that they don't want to do or have never done before. "

With no equipment and no time to do it between lessons? I really doubt that .... you know teachers that bought and provided cleaning items and scrubbed 32 chairs, tables floors door handles toilets in their own time? I call bs

North West

Our teachers clean the PC and front desk before/after class. Each classroom has wipes and hand gel at the front. Our students stay in the same room, same seat for the day (when we're open). They clean their own desk with a wipe at the end of the day, but I teach post 16, so it's do-able. Teachers have been given a wireless keyboard with mouse pad so there's no shared keyboards or mice, as teachers have to do the moving around every hour.

We've been allowed a small amount of extra cleaning but it's spread across four floors of a facility designed to cater for the same number of students as a large secondary school. It's like pissing in the wind to be honest.

Staff have had to learn a million and one new things in the past year. I'm very proud of my team and what they've achieved in a ridiculously short timescale. Infrastructure and system changes we've dealt with would normally be phased in over many months or longer rather than being thrown in your face overnight.

Next challenge - Hyflex. I'm sure I shall be shortly schooled on the pedagogical concerns of Hyflex delivery.

Dudley

I didn't say everything should open up at the same time. I said that some people would be happy for those places to open but bitch about schools opening.

They are opening things in a staggered way, schools first, less important industries later.

We won't agree on this, as a parent, I've seen the impact home learning and no school has had on my child, although I miss my social life and other luxuries, I understand that my child's education is far more important.

You're also forgetting that there are grants, furlough, loans etc available to these companies that are closed.