FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Coughing App test for Covid

Coughing App test for Covid

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uliaChris OP   Couple  over a year ago

westerham

Was reported a little yesterday. I don't think it means literally Only if you have a cough, just that you cough to test, think there's a team in America doing something similar:

"Scientists at Essex University have created a tool that can accurately diagnose Covid-19 just by the sound of a person’s cough.

Researchers believe that their work could be used in an app to provide a much less invasive, cheaper and quicker way to test for the virus.

The team used 8,380 audio samples of people coughing from hospitals in Spain and Mexico since April last year and found that the tool was 98 per cent accurate in identifying whether the samples were from people with a positive or negative coronavirus result"

Supposedly the government is looking into it, if testing becomes this easy, cheap and reliable it would be a huge step forwards.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

westerham

Sounds amazing, game changer

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

But surely it wouldn't be a stand alone verification? Wouldn't it be like the LFT, a positive result requires a PCR verification?

westerham

"But surely it wouldn't be a stand alone verification? Wouldn't it be like the LFT, a positive result requires a PCR verification?"

Claimed to be more accurate than PCR so probably not for practical lockdown lifting purposes

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's great to have fairly easily accessible and easy to use tests, helping people to guide their behaviour. Even better for places with minimal infrastructure and medical resources. Could be very useful globally.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Was reported a little yesterday. I don't think it means literally Only if you have a cough, just that you cough to test, think there's a team in America doing something similar:

"Scientists at Essex University have created a tool that can accurately diagnose Covid-19 just by the sound of a person’s cough.

Researchers believe that their work could be used in an app to provide a much less invasive, cheaper and quicker way to test for the virus.

The team used 8,380 audio samples of people coughing from hospitals in Spain and Mexico since April last year and found that the tool was 98 per cent accurate in identifying whether the samples were from people with a positive or negative coronavirus result"

Supposedly the government is looking into it, if testing becomes this easy, cheap and reliable it would be a huge step forwards. "

Sounds great for neurotic idiots to me

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ok I don’t have the most practical of minds but how is this supposed to work? I cough into my phone and the app tells me if I have Covid? The success rate would depend on the quality of the sound surely?

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

Not everyone with covid has the cough though.

It may have a use as part of a wider tool kit.

KJ

westerham

"

Not everyone with covid has the cough though.

It may have a use as part of a wider tool kit.

KJ"

It's not necessary to have a cough to use this test.

You cough voluntarily and it determines the state of your airways to deduce if you have Covid.

» Add a new message to this topic