FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > I woke this morning

I woke this morning

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I woke this morning to the headlines that the MET police were coming under pressure and disgust, for the way they handled the vigil at Clapham Common.

I find this difficult to understand for a few reasons:

1) The vigil had been deemed an illegal gathering under the COVID19 rules, and was announced as that in plenty of time.

2) The police reacted in exactly the same manner as they would with any similar sized illegal gathering.

It raises a couple of points, should the police have somehow reacted differently because it was a female illegal gathering? If they did they would surely be disrespecting the constant call for equality of women. Also, what exactly constitutes an acceptable level of antendees to an illegal gathering, 10, 20, 50, 100?

The event leading to this vigil is tragic, every life taken is tragic, but in the current climate such gatherings are irresponsible and should quite rightly be dealt with by police action regardless of gender. The original organisers of this vigil themselves made it perfectly clear the gathering was cancelled following a court decision, and called on people to hold a virtual vigil at home. So no, I do not agree with the pressure the MET are coming under, the gathering was illegal, and was dealt with correctly in the same manner any illegal gathering should be dealt with, irrespective of gender.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

2) The police reacted in exactly the same manner as they would with any similar sized illegal gathering.

It raises a couple of points, should the police have somehow reacted differently because it was a female illegal gathering? If they did they would surely be disrespecting the constant call for equality of women. Also, what exactly constitutes an acceptable level of antendees to an illegal gathering, 10, 20, 50, 100?

"

There is no simple answer.

If you go back and look at the black lives matter protests, the police allowed them so it's not true to say the police acted in the same way. I'm not sure but I suspect the BLM protests didn't ask the police before hand, so there never was an opportunity for the police to ban it.

The human rights act still allows for the right to protest, so it's not as clear saying gatherings to protest are illegal regardless.

By *ussymufferMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Look at the scenes last weekend in Glasgow and all over Scotland with rangers fans police Scotland standing about doing nothing about it in a pandemic they are no better than the met police

"

If you go back and look at the black lives matter protests, the police allowed them so it's not true to say the police acted in the same way. I'm not sure but I suspect the BLM protests didn't ask the police before hand, so there never was an opportunity for the police to ban it.

The human rights act still allows for the right to protest, so it's not as clear saying gatherings to protest are illegal regardless. "

Maybe, but they were fully aware the vigil had been cancelled by law, but chose to ignore that and the organisers request and went ahead with it knowing it was an illegal gathering undar COVID restrictions. So how can they complain about being mistreated?

By *ackandtheunicornCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

It seems they went for an easy target. There weren't many there compared to other protests such as blm or anti lockdown protest. So it was much easier to intimidate the protesters.

Personally I think all protests should be allowed regardless of the covid situation.

By *queegeeMan  over a year ago

northampton

I personally think, we all have to act responsibly in these unprecedented times we live in so as to safeguard the sacrifices that we have all made

In my opinion the police were put in a very difficult situation, dammed if they do dammed if they don’t , I dare say a majority of the public there were there for genuine reason(s) then possibly a minority out to cause trouble , there is still a lockdown in place , having to deal with all the media hype & band wagon riding along with the blame train

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Difficult for the police to handle this as the alleged perpetrator in the Sarah Everard murder is a serving police officer.

They (police) were in a no win situation.

Do nothing and “outrage of xxxx” kicks up about it.

Do something and “outrage of zzzz” kicks up about it.

I notice that the police presence was predominately male officers though there were some female officers there. Perhaps if the Met had more female officers on duty and Cressida Dick and her deputy and attended as well it may have defused things somewhat.

"It seems they went for an easy target. There weren't many there compared to other protests such as blm or anti lockdown protest. So it was much easier to intimidate the protesters.

Personally I think all protests should be allowed regardless of the covid situation."

I fully agree with a persons right to protest - in normal times. I do not agree with a persons rights to protest illegally however.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

The met should be put under pressure, they are failing to protect over half of the population - women and, people of colour.

"The met should be put under pressure, they are failing to protect over half of the population - women and, people of colour."

Interesting, is it the MET failing to protect these... Or the people carrying out the acts failing to protect these?

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"

The human rights act still allows for the right to protest, so it's not as clear saying gatherings to protest are illegal regardless. "

It didn’t become illegal until 14 September for groups of 6 and above to gather outside, before then it was guidelines.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

If there were not the rules in place at the moment there would have been no problem but people just had to break the rules yet again!!

They were supposed to be having a doorstep vigil but no they just had to go anyway forcing the actions that followed.

I wonder who kicked off first ? A bit of a no brainier really is it.

The police always tell you to move on in the first instance and how many times do we see people just push back until they are forced to take a firmer stance and then it just escalated.

If the protesters had not ignored the the ruling the this would not have happened.

100% on the protesters

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Was the police response appropriate to the circumstances? No. It certainly wasn't right to treat people so appallingly harshly, when they were fully peaceful, it was individuals who were mourning the loss of someone and probably all of them have experienced significant badly life-altering behaviour from men, through their lives. They should not have been manhandled but could have been supervised at distance, to ensure their wellbeing, if there was a need for the presence of more than a couple of police staff there. Other cities didn't need to have police behave in the same style, they let peaceful individuals continue without aggressive restraint.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I think the police did the right thing. All of those there in my eyes should have been fined.

No one & I mean no has the right to spit in a police officer’s face & think they can still be above the law . ( walks out of room )

Bristol

"Was the police response appropriate to the circumstances? No. It certainly wasn't right to treat people so appallingly harshly, when they were fully peaceful, it was individuals who were mourning the loss of someone and probably all of them have experienced significant badly life-altering behaviour from men, through their lives. They should not have been manhandled but could have been supervised at distance, to ensure their wellbeing, if there was a need for the presence of more than a couple of police staff there. Other cities didn't need to have police behave in the same style, they let peaceful individuals continue without aggressive restraint. "

Supervised at a distance? They were told not to attend

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Its not like the old bill just steamed in and started arresting people they were asked numerous times to disperse and chose not to so they were forced to move.ive no doubt if it had been an anti lockdown protest the talking heads on t.vwould be saying how irresponsible they were fir gathering during covid.dont get me wrong it was disgusting what happend to the girl who was murdered but these people were warned before hand that it was an illegal gathering.if they hadnt been there they wouldnt have been manhandled.wana count themselves lucky it was normal coppers clearing them and not the t.s.g

By *en_Dover79Man  over a year ago

Oswaldtwistle

onto a loser asking the british public to be sensible from the off...

Bristol

"Its not like the old bill just steamed in and started arresting people they were asked numerous times to disperse and chose not to so they were forced to move.ive no doubt if it had been an anti lockdown protest the talking heads on t.vwould be saying how irresponsible they were fir gathering during covid.dont get me wrong it was disgusting what happend to the girl who was murdered but these people were warned before hand that it was an illegal gathering.if they hadnt been there they wouldnt have been manhandled.wana count themselves lucky it was normal coppers clearing them and not the t.s.g"

Indeed if this had been in another country they would have been given a lot harder time

"Was the police response appropriate to the circumstances? No. It certainly wasn't right to treat people so appallingly harshly, when they were fully peaceful, it was individuals who were mourning the loss of someone and probably all of them have experienced significant badly life-altering behaviour from men, through their lives. They should not have been manhandled but could have been supervised at distance, to ensure their wellbeing, if there was a need for the presence of more than a couple of police staff there. Other cities didn't need to have police behave in the same style, they let peaceful individuals continue without aggressive restraint. "

The fundamental problem with this viewpoint is that probably 99% of people ignoring rules/laws/restrictions for whatever reason can probably cite something in their lives that caused them to do so. Does that make them above the law... No.

I find it very interesting that this happened yesterday because tomorrow A bill is being debated that gives the police the right to disrupt and disperse even peaceful protests even after covid restrictions so we just need to bear this mind.

"I find it very interesting that this happened yesterday because tomorrow A bill is being debated that gives the police the right to disrupt and disperse even peaceful protests even after covid restrictions so we just need to bear this mind."

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I woke this morning to the headlines that the MET police were coming under pressure and disgust, for the way they handled the vigil at Clapham Common.

I find this difficult to understand for a few reasons:

1) The vigil had been deemed an illegal gathering under the COVID19 rules, and was announced as that in plenty of time.

The event leading to this vigil is tragic, every life taken is tragic, but in the current climate such gatherings are irresponsible and should quite rightly be dealt with by police action regardless of gender. The original organisers of this vigil themselves made it perfectly clear the gathering was cancelled following a court decision, and called on people to hold a virtual vigil at home. So no, I do not agree with the pressure the MET are coming under, the gathering was illegal, and was dealt with correctly in the same manner any illegal gathering should be dealt with, irrespective of gender.

"

I agree 100%

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Along the way the law has changed/ been tweaked to stop protests/ vigils happening, from what little bit of footage I saw the police were speaking to the woman , I am assuming asking them to disperse, they didn't so they were arrested.

We can't have one rule for one and one for another, no matter what the gathering is for.

"Along the way the law has changed/ been tweaked to stop protests/ vigils happening, from what little bit of footage I saw the police were speaking to the woman , I am assuming asking them to disperse, they didn't so they were arrested.

We can't have one rule for one and one for another, no matter what the gathering is for."

But this is the problem it seems like we do. New years eve hundreds of people gathered outside hospitals in London drinking and shouting covid is fake and the police just stood and watched.

Have been anti lock down protests since the new law in September banning gatherings of 6 and making illegal and the police only arrested those that got violent.

So I can see why people think this was heavy handed.

"Along the way the law has changed/ been tweaked to stop protests/ vigils happening, from what little bit of footage I saw the police were speaking to the woman , I am assuming asking them to disperse, they didn't so they were arrested.

We can't have one rule for one and one for another, no matter what the gathering is for."

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"We can't have one rule for one and one for another"

it's a shame members of government and various celebrities disagree

Forum Mod

O o O oo

PS one girl who was arrested has called for people ( on a video on social media )to meet at another place on Monday.

The police can't win....they have to do as asked, get slagged off for it and have to mix with a load of people (very closely too) who may have covid.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"We can't have one rule for one and one for another

it's a shame members of government and various celebrities disagree"

A different subject altogether

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

"

The vigil was peaceable. Until the police moved in and assaulted the people mainly women.

We have the right to protest.

The Met police do not decide our rights.

By *F65Man  over a year ago

Ventnor

I’m shocked at the amount of people that seemingly enjoy and encourage this subjugation

A different subject altogether"

i disagree ... it's exactly the same concept and the two are inseperable

Forum Mod

O o O oo

We can't have one rule for one and one for another, no matter what the gathering is for.

But this is the problem it seems like we do. New years eve hundreds of people gathered outside hospitals in London drinking and shouting covid is fake and the police just stood and watched.

Have been anti lock down protests since the new law in September banning gatherings of 6 and making illegal and the police only arrested those that got violent.

So I can see why people think this was heavy handed."

This is the bit were they won't win, you say they only got active when someone got violent, that means they were left for a while to their protest. Last night they only arrested people after asking them to disperse, the people were left alone for hours...both your scenario and last nights seem consistent at least

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS  over a year ago

Huddersfield

I haven't seen all the footage but had read reports of the 'events'. The loss of any life is tragic no question. We live in a difficult time and as a result of the Covid restrictions are in place to help save the spread of the virus.

The vigil had been told not to happen by the courts, gatherings are not supposed to be happening so yes the police were correct to ask the people to move on. They didn't so the police moved in. As mentioned earlier other protests have been allowed to go ahead without interruption from the police, Liverpool fans, Rangers fans, BLM protests. These by rights should have been stopped, maybe crowd sizes was an issue I don't know.

Its everybody's responsibility to keep everybody else safe by not holding gatherings. When it's all finished and we have no more Covid, gather as much as you want!!

Forum Mod

O o O oo

i disagree ... it's exactly the same concept and the two are inseperable"

It isn't to this subject matter, maybe start a thread on it

i disagree ... it's exactly the same concept and the two are inseperable

It isn't to this subject matter, maybe start a thread on it "

again i disagree, the two are inseparable

Ventnor

I wonder if they had approached the Duchess of Cambridge when she visited and told her it was illegal what would have happened, I bet they would not have handcuffed her with a knee in the back

"

The human rights act still allows for the right to protest, so it's not as clear saying gatherings to protest are illegal regardless.

The vigil was peaceable. Until the police moved in and assaulted the people mainly women.

We have the right to protest.

The Met police do not decide our rights. "

Indirectly they do, via the laws/rules/restrictions set down in parliament. If you choose to ignore a direct ruling not to gather then you also have to accept the consequences.

"I wonder if they had approached the Duchess of Cambridge when she visited and told her it was illegal what would have happened, I bet they would not have handcuffed her with a knee in the back"

this is partly what i am alluding to

... she wore no mask either

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"In my opinion the police were put in a very difficult situation, dammed if they do dammed if they don’t , I dare say a majority of the public there were there for genuine reason(s) then possibly a minority out to cause trouble , there is still a lockdown in place , having to deal with all the media hype & band wagon riding along with the blame train "

"I wonder if they had approached the Duchess of Cambridge when she visited and told her it was illegal what would have happened, I bet they would not have handcuffed her with a knee in the back"

This is very true, She was escorted there by police protection officers.

By *entGent75Man  over a year ago

Dartford

The vigil in my view was an irresponsible gathering despite tragic circumstances. It is also disrespectful where limits are in place for the number of people who can attend funerals and alternative streeming via Zoom etc has been required. The attendees of this vigil went in the knowledge that Covid remains a factor, that it is insensitive to others who can not do the same to mourn family and friends who have died but seek to cry out about the injustice to their human rights when they have ignored the message from Police to move on. They had a choice about whether to attend and whether to move on. If they seek any respect they should start showing some.

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS  over a year ago

Huddersfield

"The vigil in my view was an irresponsible gathering despite tragic circumstances. It is also disrespectful where limits are in place for the number of people who can attend funerals and alternative streeming via Zoom etc has been required. The attendees of this vigil went in the knowledge that Covid remains a factor, that it is insensitive to others who can not do the same to mourn family and friends who have died but seek to cry out about the injustice to their human rights when they have ignored the message from Police to move on. They had a choice about whether to attend and whether to move on. If they seek any respect they should start showing some. "

100%

North Yorkshire

One rule for one and one for another

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I lit a candle and put it in the window as asked

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I wonder if they had approached the Duchess of Cambridge when she visited and told her it was illegal what would have happened, I bet they would not have handcuffed her with a knee in the back

One rule for one and one for another"

Not really, there were lots of people all day that the police didn't go near. They turned a blind eye to lots of people milling. Hours later when crowds were getting bigger and not dispersing they decided to ask people to go home.

Why not say what really happened

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"The vigil in my view was an irresponsible gathering despite tragic circumstances. It is also disrespectful where limits are in place for the number of people who can attend funerals and alternative streeming via Zoom etc has been required. The attendees of this vigil went in the knowledge that Covid remains a factor, that it is insensitive to others who can not do the same to mourn family and friends who have died but seek to cry out about the injustice to their human rights when they have ignored the message from Police to move on. They had a choice about whether to attend and whether to move on. If they seek any respect they should start showing some. "

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

"I wonder if they had approached the Duchess of Cambridge when she visited and told her it was illegal what would have happened, I bet they would not have handcuffed her with a knee in the back

... she wore no mask either"

I can't even find a news report of that imagine if Megan had done (whilst an active royal) the press would have battered her.

KJ

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"PS one girl who was arrested has called for people ( on a video on social media )to meet at another place on Monday.

The police can't win....they have to do as asked, get slagged off for it and have to mix with a load of people (very closely too) who may have covid."

Why should these protestors be treated differently to kids going to ravs etc?Fine them all and make them pay

Ventnor

I can't even find a news report of that imagine if Megan had done (whilst an active royal) the press would have battered her.

KJ "

Just Google it, loads of articles and pictures.

KJ "

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2021/mar/13/kate-duchess-of-cambridge-pays-respects-to-sarah-everard-in-london-video

Forum Mod

O o O oo

... she wore no mask either"

Why didn't you say that instead of being vague and I wouldn't have asked you to start another thread

Me personally didn't think anyone should be out at a vigil or protest while we are fighting Covid and I really don't think it was a good idea for the future Queen to be doing the same

i wasn't being vague, but clearly my assumption that people who were commenting had read or watched the news this morning was erroneous.

Bristol

She was outside so mask not needed and she was there just to lay flowers and left was there minutes discreetly.

A bit of a non story really as was a personal thing

Bristol

Why didn't you say that instead of being vague and I wouldn't have asked you to start another thread

Me personally didn't think anyone should be out at a vigil or protest while we are fighting Covid and I really don't think it was a good idea for the future Queen to be doing the same"

She was not at the vigil

KJ "

A quick Google comes up with several articles and photos and it's been all over the BBC News and sky news this morning so you don't even have to look that hard to find it.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Me personally didn't think anyone should be out at a vigil or protest while we are fighting Covid and I really don't think it was a good idea for the future Queen to be doing the same

She was not at the vigil "

How did she lay the flowers that you said she laid if she wasn't there?

North Yorkshire

We have the right to protest

The Met police do not decide our rights

Forum Mod

O o O oo

They may not decide the rules but they enforce them if needed

borehamwood

"We have the right to protest

The Met police do not decide our rights "

Not at the momment you dont.hope all the people complaining about the police this morning complain just as hard wen the start battering anti lockdown protesters or will that be ok because you dont agree with there protest.by the way im not an anti lockdown nutter.just pointing out you cant have one law for one group because there cause is good and another law for people because there cause is a bit shit.either everyone cane gather now or no one can

[Removed by poster at 14/03/21 11:50:44]

Not at the momment you dont.hope all the people complaining about the police this morning complain just as hard wen the start battering anti lockdown protesters or will that be ok because you dont agree with there protest.by the way im not an anti lockdown nutter.just pointing out you cant have one law for one group because there cause is good and another law for people because there cause is a bit shit.either everyone cane gather now or no one can"

But that's the point the anti lockdown protesters were able to gather.

Not at the momment you dont.hope all the people complaining about the police this morning complain just as hard wen the start battering anti lockdown protesters or will that be ok because you dont agree with there protest.by the way im not an anti lockdown nutter.just pointing out you cant have one law for one group because there cause is good and another law for people because there cause is a bit shit.either everyone cane gather now or no one can

But that's the point the anti lockdown protesters were able to gather."

and so were the protesters yesterday though ... despite the met policing methods.

She was not at the vigil

How did she lay the flowers that you said she laid if she wasn't there?"

as far as i understand the vigil was organised for the evening and she passed through and laid flowers during the day

if there is a concert in a park on Monday and i walked through the park on sunday should i claim to have attended the concert?

"The Met police do not decide our rights "

Good luck with that argument in court.

"Sorry M'Lord, but I contend the Met arresting me for stealing the car was unjust, they don't decide my rights to not taking something that isn't mine".

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

The whole situation has been hijacked by militant groups, there were placards there showing the letters ACAB (all cops are bastards) they were were there for one reason only, to cause trouble. Now there was probably people there for the original intended reason but this was going to end this way, all the people there broke the law, went against the family’s wishes. Those rent a mob types that were there have caused this not the police. There was a perfectly peaceful and respectful alternative done my most people around the country with the door step vigil. The police to not pin people down and arrest them without good reason normally resisting arrest. Break the law - get arrested it’s really quite simple. This whole event undermines the original message from this horrid tragedy.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

She was not at the vigil

as far as i understand the vigil was organised for the evening and she passed through and laid flowers during the day

if there is a concert in a park on Monday and i walked through the park on sunday should i claim to have attended the concert? "

One day there will be a discussion on here without people being facetious

The vigil wasn't organised at all, the vigil was cancelled by the organisers, it ended up an impromptu vigil later on in the night. I used the word vigil or protest as it was a gathering of people...I will change those words to gathering now so the point is not lost

Lots of people gathered to place flowers, hardly any social distanced, the future Queen did the same thing

realistically there is no difference between the gathering of hundreds of protesters wether it's during daylight, twilight or nightfall, regardless of their social status they are protesting.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Agreed

"The whole situation has been hijacked by militant groups, there were placards there showing the letters ACAB (all cops are bastards)"

hardly surprising when the prime suspect in the murder of another woman is a serving constable who has sworn an oath to protect the person he has allegedly murdered.

Dartford

Not at the momment you dont.hope all the people complaining about the police this morning complain just as hard wen the start battering anti lockdown protesters or will that be ok because you dont agree with there protest.by the way im not an anti lockdown nutter.just pointing out you cant have one law for one group because there cause is good and another law for people because there cause is a bit shit.either everyone cane gather now or no one can"

We also have the right to life. So i think that life comes higher than the right to protest at the moment.

"The whole situation has been hijacked by militant groups, there were placards there showing the letters ACAB (all cops are bastards)

hardly surprising when the prime suspect in the murder of another woman is a serving constable who has sworn an oath to protect the person he has allegedly murdered."

Think this has digressed onto becoming a different topic as usual. The OP is about the right or wrong of the gathering going ahead and were the Met right in intervening.

"We also have the right to life. So i think that life comes higher than the right to protest at the moment. "

perhaps hold onto that thought when you consider sarah everards family's loss at the hands of a serving met officer.

Dartford

"We also have the right to life. So i think that life comes higher than the right to protest at the moment.

perhaps hold onto that thought when you consider sarah everards family's loss at the hands of a serving met officer."

Two wrongs don't make a right.

"We also have the right to life. So i think that life comes higher than the right to protest at the moment.

perhaps hold onto that thought when you consider sarah everards family's loss at the hands of a serving met officer.

Two wrongs don't make a right. "

and nobody has implied it is so

borehamwood

perhaps hold onto that thought when you consider sarah everards family's loss at the hands of a serving met officer."

Perhaps those at clapham common last night shoud of paid attention to her family also.

Perhaps those at clapham common last night shoud of paid attention to her family also."

quite probably

"The whole situation has been hijacked by militant groups, there were placards there showing the letters ACAB (all cops are bastards)

hardly surprising when the prime suspect in the murder of another woman is a serving constable who has sworn an oath to protect the person he has allegedly murdered."

All ? Did we have all nurses and all doctors when Bev Allott and Harold Shipman were killing people. Is the unarmed cop who was stabbed to death outside parliament and the cops who ran towards danger when extremists were murdering people they bastards to ?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I think the sentiment to the poor woman has now been lost altogether

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It is one person , not the whole police force

I did see a picture with people in a crowd with the whole gimp mask type thing on and placards but I assumed they could have been old pics resurrected, maybe not then

hardly surprising when the prime suspect in the murder of another woman is a serving constable who has sworn an oath to protect the person he has allegedly murdered.

All ? Did we have all nurses and all doctors when Bev Allott and Harold Shipman were killing people. Is the unarmed cop who was stabbed to death outside parliament and the cops who ran towards danger when extremists were murdering people they bastards to ? "

you have confused me with the person holding the placard in question. maybe ask them instead.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Think this has digressed onto becoming a different topic as usual. The OP is about the right or wrong of the gathering going ahead and were the Met right in intervening."

I think they were right to interfere and dont think that people should have been there.

All ? Did we have all nurses and all doctors when Bev Allott and Harold Shipman were killing people. Is the unarmed cop who was stabbed to death outside parliament and the cops who ran towards danger when extremists were murdering people they bastards to ?

you have confused me with the person holding the placard in question. maybe ask them instead."

I am confused with you finding it hardly surprising

She was not at the vigil

if there is a concert in a park on Monday and i walked through the park on sunday should i claim to have attended the concert?

The vigil wasn't organised at all, the vigil was cancelled by the organisers, it ended up an impromptu vigil later on in the night. I used the word vigil or protest as it was a gathering of people...I will change those words to gathering now so the point is not lost

Lots of people gathered to place flowers, hardly any social distanced, the future Queen did the same thing"

its nothing to do with being facetious , your original point was vague and wether that was on purpose to make a point only you will know but details matter

the official vigil was arranged for the evening, it was then cancelled , the “impromtu” vigil then took place in the evening at the same time as the official one had been planned

arriving at the same spot during the day (not as part of a group) to quietly lay some flowers only stay a few minutes and then leave is hardly attending an illegal protest

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Perhaps those at clapham common last night shoud of paid attention to her family also."

I did wonder about this, do we know what the family thought about it?

On a mooch

One person does not relate to the whole force, just like one vile person does not define one gender or race.

I did see a picture with people in a crowd with the whole gimp mask type thing on and placards but I assumed they could have been old pics resurrected, maybe not then"

contextually, it appears the protest is regarding the safety of women in general and the escalation of incidents around the country where police officers have exploited the vulnerability of female victims of crime & women who are in custody for committing crime, where the officers have sexually assualted their victims without facing justice. the murder of sarah everard is seen as the culmination of these events and has triggered mass protests as a result. it appears that there have been small protests in other towns and cities.

Perhaps those at clapham common last night shoud of paid attention to her family also.

I did wonder about this, do we know what the family thought about it?"

they asked people not to go , its a shame for the family because they are grieving a loved one, and their loved one has now become the face of a movement - while it had the potential to be positive its probably just going to make it more difficult for them to move on

Forum Mod

O o O oo

She was not at the vigil

Lots of people gathered to place flowers, hardly any social distanced, the future Queen did the same thing

its nothing to do with being facetious , your original point was vague and wether that was on purpose to make a point only you will know but details matter

the official vigil was arranged for the evening, it was then cancelled , the “impromtu” vigil then took place in the evening at the same time as the official one had been planned

arriving at the same spot during the day (not as part of a group) to quietly lay some flowers only stay a few minutes and then leave is hardly attending an illegal protest "

" there is a concert in a park on Monday and i walked through the park on sunday should i claim to have attended the concert?" This is hardly the same scenario so it will take the discussion away from what people are talking about.

I will again rephrase for you.

"Me personally didn't think anyone should be out at a vigil or protest or gathering while we are fighting Covid and I really don't think it was a good idea for the future Queen to be doing the same"

Once she saw and others saw how many people were there maybe they should have gone a different time instead otherwise you are all in a gathering and for some where there to stay all day in that gathering

Forum Mod

O o O oo

they asked people not to go , its a shame for the family because they are grieving a loved one, and their loved one has now become the face of a movement - while it had the potential to be positive its probably just going to make it more difficult for them to move on "

In which case that is so wrong, people should have gone with their wishes otherwise it just looks like people are only out for their own agendas

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I did see a picture with people in a crowd with the whole gimp mask type thing on and placards but I assumed they could have been old pics resurrected, maybe not then

contextually, it appears the protest is regarding the safety of women in general and the escalation of incidents around the country where police officers have exploited the vulnerability of female victims of crime & women who are in custody for committing crime, where the officers have sexually assualted their victims without facing justice. the murder of sarah everard is seen as the culmination of these events and has triggered mass protests as a result. it appears that there have been small protests in other towns and cities."

Seriously? I must be a mushroom at the minute as I thought it was about a vigil for a poor woman who has been murdered. No wonder the family didn't want it happening

they asked people not to go , its a shame for the family because they are grieving a loved one, and their loved one has now become the face of a movement - while it had the potential to be positive its probably just going to make it more difficult for them to move on

In which case that is so wrong, people should have gone with their wishes otherwise it just looks like people are only out for their own agendas"

i think if the family ask for sarah to be disassociated from the movement then people should respectfully do that , however the “own agenda” for the most part is the safety of women which is don’t think is an inappropriate agenda to want to discuss/ protest for

"Seriously? I must be a mushroom at the minute as I thought it was about a vigil for a poor woman who has been murdered. No wonder the family didn't want it happening"

perhaps you hadn't noticed over the decades that not everybody who turns out to a mass protest is exactly on message with everyone else who turned out.

Bristol

She was not at the vigil

How did she lay the flowers that you said she laid if she wasn't there?"

I said she was not at the vigil she she laid flowers and left she as not at the vigil where it all kicked off because people would not respect the rules in place

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

She was not at the vigil

arriving at the same spot during the day (not as part of a group) to quietly lay some flowers only stay a few minutes and then leave is hardly attending an illegal protest

" there is a concert in a park on Monday and i walked through the park on sunday should i claim to have attended the concert?" This is hardly the same scenario so it will take the discussion away from what people are talking about.

"Me personally didn't think anyone should be out at a vigil or protest or gathering while we are fighting Covid and I really don't think it was a good idea for the future Queen to be doing the same"

Once she saw and others saw how many people were there maybe they should have gone a different time instead otherwise you are all in a gathering and for some where there to stay all day in that gathering"

i have to disagree, during the day was a different time, going alone for a few minutes and leaving wasn’t joining a gathering and we have to be careful about lumping lone actions in with those of a group particularly when we are already seeing legislation pushed through tomorrow that is worryingly controlling

if i go to tesco and there are already 10 people in front of me in the queue i haven’t joined a gathering, if i enter the park alone and there are already 100 people there i haven’t joined a gathering, if i lay flowers out of respect then leave i haven’t joined a gathering

absolutely there were people last night that went to that park for a purpose that they knew was explicitly banned and against the law, but we need to be clear in the distinction which is which

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

"I think the police did the right thing. All of those there in my eyes should have been fined. "

Unpopular as what you are saying might be, I agree with you. I understand why people wanted to attend this vigil, however we are still in lockdown and they were specifically told not to gather

She was not at the vigil

Once she saw and others saw how many people were there maybe they should have gone a different time instead otherwise you are all in a gathering and for some where there to stay all day in that gathering

i have to disagree, during the day was a different time, going alone for a few minutes and leaving wasn’t joining a gathering and we have to be careful about lumping lone actions in with those of a group particularly when we are already seeing legislation pushed through tomorrow that is worryingly controlling

if i go to tesco and there are already 10 people in front of me in the queue i haven’t joined a gathering, if i enter the park alone and there are already 100 people there i haven’t joined a gathering, if i lay flowers out of respect then leave i haven’t joined a gathering

absolutely there were people last night that went to that park for a purpose that they knew was explicitly banned and against the law, but we need to be clear in the distinction which is which "

100%

" we need to be clear in the distinction which is which "

unfotunately this is a skill that the met lack with great notoriety

Bristol

" we need to be clear in the distinction which is which

unfotunately this is a skill that the met lack with great notoriety"

It was clear, it was not supposed to take place

And I doubt the Dutches would have mouthed back at the police

Forum Mod

O o O oo

In which case that is so wrong, people should have gone with their wishes otherwise it just looks like people are only out for their own agendas

i think if the family ask for sarah to be disassociated from the movement then people should respectfully do that , however the “own agenda” for the most part is the safety of women which is don’t think is an inappropriate agenda to want to discuss/ protest for "

For most yes by the sounds of it and something that I think should be discussed but not on the back of someone else's grief if they ask for it not to go ahead.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Seriously? I must be a mushroom at the minute as I thought it was about a vigil for a poor woman who has been murdered. No wonder the family didn't want it happening

perhaps you hadn't noticed over the decades that not everybody who turns out to a mass protest is exactly on message with everyone else who turned out."

Yeah I am getting what you mean and have seen it, I am being naive to think these people wouldn't be there for this one

Forum Mod

O o O oo

She was not at the vigil

i have to disagree, during the day was a different time, going alone for a few minutes and leaving wasn’t joining a gathering

"

Sadly going by the number of people who were there it turned out to be. If I had gone there to leave flowers I would have left just because of social distancing as there were too many people there. As people are mean to be leading by example, I don't think the future Queen should have done what she did or indeed anyone else who didn't social distance

It was banned for a reason to protect us against another COVID spike , we all want COVID restrictions to end soon but the people there last night and at the others around the country ain’t helping us at all , yes the murder was horrendous, but by being there last night your putting other people’s life’s at risk

"It was banned for a reason to protect us against another COVID spike , we all want COVID restrictions to end soon but the people there last night and at the others around the country ain’t helping us at all , yes the murder was horrendous, but by being there last night your putting other people’s life’s at risk "

There were thousands there during the day yesterday and nothing was none.

Originally the vigil was meant to start at 6pm. That's when the police started trying to disperse people, If it was that much of a risk why were people allowed to be there all day and it was just after 6 when the event this meant to start (I know the Official organisers cancelled it) action was taken.

"It was banned for a reason to protect us against another COVID spike , we all want COVID restrictions to end soon but the people there last night and at the others around the country ain’t helping us at all , yes the murder was horrendous, but by being there last night your putting other people’s life’s at risk

There were thousands there during the day yesterday and nothing was none.

Originally the vigil was meant to start at 6pm. That's when the police started trying to disperse people, If it was that much of a risk why were people allowed to be there all day and it was just after 6 when the event this meant to start (I know the Official organisers cancelled it) action was taken. "

I'm guessing that during the daytime people visiting did so to pay their respects, and at the time the vigil was due to begin people gathering did so with the intent of remaining as a group. The police have a thankless task, damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Whether you believe it should have been allowed, the simple fact is that under present conditions such gatherings are illegal. It's not rocket science, they were breaking the lockdown restrictions and the police were correct in asking them to move on, when they wouldn't the police were again right in enforcing the rules. In fact, rather than moan about the "heavy handedness" of the Met, these people should be thanking their luck they were given special treatment compared to other illegal gatherings by not being handed fines to pay.

its the double standard of policing that bugged me, its the police escort of football fans from one gathering to a larger one last week while also observing additional laws that existed pre covid being broken by the crowd and making no no arrests starkly contrasted against what happened last night

and i want to hope that i am wrong but it seems like its because it was easier and less dangerous to show a force of strength to a bunch of women than it is to a group of potential football hooligans , which is echoing of the behaviour that brought people out in the first place

if they had shut down them both i would have thought it perfectly justified

Ventnor

Big demonstration happening right outside New Scotland Yard now, police not engaging. This is what happens when you suppress and bully unfortunately

"its the double standard of policing that bugged me, its the police escort of football fans from one gathering to a larger one last week while also observing additional laws that existed pre covid being broken by the crowd and making no no arrests starkly contrasted against what happened last night

and i want to hope that i am wrong but it seems like its because it was easier and less dangerous to show a force of strength to a bunch of women than it is to a group of potential football hooligans , which is echoing of the behaviour that brought people out in the first place "

it happened in a separate country with separate criminal justice and policing systems. you may as well have compared what is happening in myanmar as you have in scotland

Ventnor

"Big demonstration happening right outside New Scotland Yard now, police not engaging. This is what happens when you suppress and bully unfortunately "

Now marching on parliament

"its the double standard of policing that bugged me, its the police escort of football fans from one gathering to a larger one last week while also observing additional laws that existed pre covid being broken by the crowd and making no no arrests starkly contrasted against what happened last night

and i want to hope that i am wrong but it seems like its because it was easier and less dangerous to show a force of strength to a bunch of women than it is to a group of potential football hooligans , which is echoing of the behaviour that brought people out in the first place

it happened in a separate country with separate criminal justice and policing systems. you may as well have compared what is happening in myanmar as you have in scotland"

well actually the coronavirus restrictions are consistent and neither police scotland or the met police are naive enough to not realise than many citizens still see themselves as part of one united kingdom, and are aware that this is not a “london” issue so i think your example of Myanmar is a bit of stretch

"Big demonstration happening right outside New Scotland Yard now, police not engaging. This is what happens when you suppress and bully unfortunately

Now marching on parliament "

this is stupid and escalating out of control and going to entirely overshaddow all the positive conversation that has taken place - i need a face palm emoji

Bristol

"Big demonstration happening right outside New Scotland Yard now, police not engaging. This is what happens when you suppress and bully unfortunately

this is stupid and escalating out of control and going to entirely overshaddow all the positive conversation that has taken place - i need a face palm emoji "

There a surprise

Ventnor

this is stupid and escalating out of control and going to entirely overshaddow all the positive conversation that has taken place - i need a face palm emoji "

This is what happens when police push too far

"well actually the coronavirus restrictions are consistent "

that is contrary to fact. the pandemic is a devolved matter as you well know ... along with scottish criminal justice and policing ... so no it's not a strech unless one is being deliberately obtuse.

Bristol

this is stupid and escalating out of control and going to entirely overshaddow all the positive conversation that has taken place - i need a face palm emoji

This is what happens when police push too far"

Yea people continue to break the rules

"well actually the coronavirus restrictions are consistent

that is contrary to fact. the pandemic is a devolved matter as you well know ... along with scottish criminal justice and policing ... so no it's not a strech unless one is being deliberately obtuse."

devolved or not, the laws in place around public gatherings are currently consistent - which you know fine well is what i meant but yes of course its me being obtuse

the similarities between england and myanmar must of course be more significant than the differences between scotland and england - my mistake

"Big demonstration happening right outside New Scotland Yard now, police not engaging. This is what happens when you suppress and bully unfortunately "

Yes I saw that just now on the news, at least 1000 people.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

"In fact, rather than moan about the "heavy handedness" of the Met, these people should be thanking their luck they were given special treatment compared to other illegal gatherings by not being handed fines to pay."

On a mooch

This is what happens when police push too far"

As usual it has all gone off track of what it was all supposed to be about. So those that like to moan about anything and constantly break the rules, now stamping their feet.

Pathetic

Ventnor

Yes I saw that just now on the news, at least 1000 people. "

There’s a live stream on YouTube, way more than a 1000

As usual it has all gone off track of what it was all supposed to be about. So those that like to moan about anything and constantly break the rules, now stamping their feet.

Pathetic "

I don't think people protesting and standing up for their rights and what they believe in is pathetic by any stretch of the imagination.

Nothing changes if people stay quiet.

Yes I saw that just now on the news, at least 1000 people.

There’s a live stream on YouTube, way more than a 1000"

There probably is by now the scenes I saw were about an hour and a 1/2 ago live on the BBC so it's probably got bigger since then.

This is what happens when some people jump on bandwagons, the news showed people pushing and punching police women ? What were they in the park for last night ? Was it to stop violence against errrrr women, same as the BLM that all got out of hand when other groups jumped on the bandwagon and used it as an excuse to just cause trouble

There is a bill being discussed in Parliament tomorrow that will give the police the right to disperse any protest peaceful or otherwise.

I don't always agree with people's reasons for protest and I agree public safety has to be put first but it is looking very lightly but we are not ever going to have the right to peaceful protest if this bill goes through.

On a mooch

Pathetic

I don't think people protesting and standing up for their rights and what they believe in is pathetic by any stretch of the imagination.

"

With the current restrictions it is not allowed.

I doubt most of those there give a tuppence worth about the issue and stroll out for any and every cause. What are they actually protesting about, safer streets for all or the fact the police arrested some people yesterday.

As I said the issues that should be at the forefront and being talked about, are being over run and turned into something completely different

"There is a bill being discussed in Parliament tomorrow that will give the police the right to disperse any protest peaceful or otherwise.

I don't always agree with people's reasons for protest and I agree public safety has to be put first but it is looking very lightly but we are not ever going to have the right to peaceful protest if this bill goes through. "

the endeavor to silence it's critics appears to reflect the stalinist ideals of this particular government

Pathetic

I doubt most of those there give a tuppence worth about the issue and stroll out for any and every cause. What are they actually protesting about, safer streets for all or the fact the police arrested some people yesterday.

As I said the issues that should be at the forefront and being talked about, are being over run and turned into something completely different "

The problem is the police want these powers to continue after the pandemic.

You will always get people that hijack an issue but just because some do doesn't mean people don't have a right to be heard.

By *igDickSwansMan  over a year ago

Swansea City Centre

Personally i think the Met police did the right thing, what happened to that porr young lady walking home from a friends house is absolutely disgusting, and my thoughts are with her family.

having been told by the organizer's that the vigil was cancelled and a high court judge not allowing it either and the police telling them they can not have it due to c-19 restrictions.

i think the police did the right thing to disperse the crowd so tightly packed passing around out C-19.

this is just my opinion on the situation.

Pathetic

As I said the issues that should be at the forefront and being talked about, are being over run and turned into something completely different "

Sadly as usual you've got the 'give me a cause and I'll shout loudly and protest with passion' brigade. Doesn't matter what the cause is, as long as they can mouth off at the establishment.

On a mooch

Pathetic

As I said the issues that should be at the forefront and being talked about, are being over run and turned into something completely different

You will always get people that hijack an issue but just because some do doesn't mean people don't have a right to be heard. "

I didn’t say they did, but now is not the right time and today’s protest is uncalled for.

What the new bill brings we shall see but if it gets rid of violent and unauthorised elements of a protest then I’m all for it.

On a mooch

Pathetic

Sadly as usual you've got the 'give me a cause and I'll shout loudly and protest with passion' brigade. Doesn't matter what the cause is, as long as they can mouth off at the establishment."

Precisely!

" There is no simple answer."

Wrong!

There is a simple answer.

If the rules are stay home,you stay home.

If the rules are don't gather in crowds,you dont gather in crowds.

The police are stretched enough as it is,without the self entitled thinking they are above the law,be that males,females or whatever gender some see themselves as.

Pathetic

while i agree that its become something it was never intended to be now and its overshadowed the good conversations that have taken place and probably made the grieving of the family worse

is the better option just to shut people up that were making the valid point in the first place ? because that appears to be how its escalated to this

Pathetic

You will always get people that hijack an issue but just because some do doesn't mean people don't have a right to be heard.

I didn’t say they did, but now is not the right time and today’s protest is uncalled for.

What the new bill brings we shall see but if it gets rid of violent and unauthorised elements of a protest then I’m all for it. "

have you read it? i would be totally for that too, but this bill goes way beyond the scope of that and the police will now have the right to tell you where , when, for how long, how many people, in what format, how loud your protests will be and even then if its deemed to be a public nuisance (which lets face it, like a strike is partly the point of a protest to get people to notice) then you can be arrested

"" There is no simple answer."

Wrong!

There is a simple answer.

If the rules are stay home,you stay home.

If the rules are don't gather in crowds,you dont gather in crowds.

The police are stretched enough as it is,without the self entitled thinking they are above the law,be that males,females or whatever gender some see themselves as. "

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

From some of the scenes i saw on tv earlier there were a number of protesters there male and female looking to cause trouble and not part of the vigil. Yes the police were put in a very difficult position but if they had done nothing and just observed that would have been wrong too. Why were "peaceful" protestors geeing the police and coving their faces. Not with covid masks.

By *andlingswingersCouple  over a year ago

Woodbridge

" " they were fully aware the vigil had been cancelled by law, but chose to ignore that and the organisers request and went ahead with it knowing it was an illegal gathering undar COVID restrictions. So how can they complain about being mistreated?"

Seriously? The police are there to uphold the law. That does NOT give them carte blanche to mistreat people. The law applies to the police as well, whatever they think.

Pathetic

What the new bill brings we shall see but if it gets rid of violent and unauthorised elements of a protest then I’m all for it. "

The bill is proposing that the police can intervene and disperse all protests regardless of whether they are peaceful or not. Anyone intent on violent public disorder will do it regardless of what the law says So a bill will not stop that but it will stop people demonstrating their democratic right to peaceful protest, The BBC are reporting but that is what this current protest outside Scotland Yard is about.

On a mooch

Pathetic

while i agree that its become something it was never intended to be now and its overshadowed the good conversations that have taken place and probably made the grieving of the family worse

is the better option just to shut people up that were making the valid point in the first place ? because that appears to be how its escalated to this "

How were they shut up? By not allowing a vigil last night ? If so it was supposed to be a vigil of remembrance and not a protest.

Many showed their solidarity within the rules, stayed at home, lit up their doorways, having conversations with family and friends, because that is all we can do under the current restrictions.

Those there today do they really care about the issue, I doubt it, I hope they are dealt with as they assume themselves above the law

"have you read it? i would be totally for that too, but this bill goes way beyond the scope of that and the police will now have the right to tell you where , when, for how long, how many people, in what format, how loud your protests will be and even then if its deemed to be a public nuisance (which lets face it, like a strike is partly the point of a protest to get people to notice) then you can be arrested "

and it appears the supporters of this government are very vocal in agreeing with the new bill. the question is, if you disagree how will you protest against it.

On a mooch

Pathetic

What the new bill brings we shall see but if it gets rid of violent and unauthorised elements of a protest then I’m all for it.

The bill is proposing that the police can intervene and disperse all protests regardless of whether they are peaceful or not. Anyone intent on violent public disorder will do it regardless of what the law says So a bill will not stop that but it will stop people demonstrating their democratic right to peaceful protest, The BBC are reporting but that is what this current protest outside Scotland Yard is about. "

I will wait to see the wording of the bill before passing comment on it and speculating from the press’ point of view.

Swansea

I feel for the families of all woman and men who are beaten battered abused or murdered but there is a minority of the human race who get off on this. But this is not just a female problem. A friend of mine had his cheek shatteted by his wife who hit him with a bottle. And this was not the first time she had beaten him

On a mooch

Pathetic

have you read it? i would be totally for that too, but this bill goes way beyond the scope of that and the police will now have the right to tell you where , when, for how long, how many people, in what format, how loud your protests will be and even then if its deemed to be a public nuisance (which lets face it, like a strike is partly the point of a protest to get people to notice) then you can be arrested "

Do you understand why that is ? Every one of these protests costs money, in police time, disruption to business and normally destruction left behind them. If it can reduce the damage caused but the voice still heard, which they will be even if only for a limited time, I don’t see a problem with it.

Pathetic

The bill is proposing that the police can intervene and disperse all protests regardless of whether they are peaceful or not. Anyone intent on violent public disorder will do it regardless of what the law says So a bill will not stop that but it will stop people demonstrating their democratic right to peaceful protest, The BBC are reporting but that is what this current protest outside Scotland Yard is about.

I will wait to see the wording of the bill before passing comment on it and speculating from the press’ point of view. "

I have read it which is why I'm commenting on it.

"

" they were fully aware the vigil had been cancelled by law, but chose to ignore that and the organisers request and went ahead with it knowing it was an illegal gathering undar COVID restrictions. So how can they complain about being mistreated?

Seriously? The police are there to uphold the law. That does NOT give them carte blanche to mistreat people. The law applies to the police as well, whatever they think.

"

Depends on your definition of mistreat. If by mistreat you mean asking people at an illegal gathering to disperse, then take enforcement action when they refuse to... Then yes you probably think they mistreated them, personally I'd say they were doing their job.

"

" they were fully aware the vigil had been cancelled by law, but chose to ignore that and the organisers request and went ahead with it knowing it was an illegal gathering undar COVID restrictions. So how can they complain about being mistreated?

Depends on your definition of mistreat. If by mistreat you mean asking people at an illegal gathering to disperse, then take enforcement action when they refuse to... Then yes you probably think they mistreated them, personally I'd say they were doing their job."

Pathetic

have you read it? i would be totally for that too, but this bill goes way beyond the scope of that and the police will now have the right to tell you where , when, for how long, how many people, in what format, how loud your protests will be and even then if its deemed to be a public nuisance (which lets face it, like a strike is partly the point of a protest to get people to notice) then you can be arrested

Do you understand why that is ? Every one of these protests costs money, in police time, disruption to business and normally destruction left behind them. If it can reduce the damage caused but the voice still heard, which they will be even if only for a limited time, I don’t see a problem with it. "

By that logic no mass gathering including parades, _estivals and street parties would ever be allowed.

Pathetic

I will wait to see the wording of the bill before passing comment on it and speculating from the press’ point of view. "

its already available on the government website which is where i read it - i took this from source not speculation

Pathetic

I will wait to see the wording of the bill before passing comment on it and speculating from the press’ point of view.

its already available on the government website which is where i read it - i took this from source not speculation "

As did I.

"have you read it? i would be totally for that too, but this bill goes way beyond the scope of that and the police will now have the right to tell you where , when, for how long, how many people, in what format, how loud your protests will be and even then if its deemed to be a public nuisance (which lets face it, like a strike is partly the point of a protest to get people to notice) then you can be arrested

and it appears the supporters of this government are very vocal in agreeing with the new bill. the question is, if you disagree how will you protest against it."

At the next general election, with your vote.

"have you read it? i would be totally for that too, but this bill goes way beyond the scope of that and the police will now have the right to tell you where , when, for how long, how many people, in what format, how loud your protests will be and even then if its deemed to be a public nuisance (which lets face it, like a strike is partly the point of a protest to get people to notice) then you can be arrested

and it appears the supporters of this government are very vocal in agreeing with the new bill. the question is, if you disagree how will you protest against it.

At the next general election, with your vote."

So people just have to live with it for 3 years and keep quiet?

So people just have to live with it for 3 years and keep quiet?"

No, as long as they stay within the laws/rules/restrictions

At the next general election, with your vote."

no Jamie, thats not true, there is plenty that you can influence with a vote at a general election hut once something like this is removed there is no incentive for any future government to return it

for the record i don’t think this is a under the guise of covid issue - none of the justification in the bill relates to covid , but it is concerning nonetheless

"At the next general election, with your vote."

you will protest by using my vote? curious

Me too.

Result.

Specially at my age.

"

the rules which as of tomorrow could be changed to keep quiet we do not allow your protest - the bill is literally that wide open

"

But if this bill goes through it will mean that the police can stop any public gathering even after coverd restrictions have ended.

Swansea

No bill should be passed that could be used to stop our right to peacefully protest. But i do think the majority of these protests have been hijacked but a minority who are just determined to cause trouble and injury to people. And are not there for the legitamit reason. The police should have the power to put a stop to these minority but how it is done without innocent bystanders being effected is another question.

By * F 2018Couple  over a year ago

shropshire

There are alot that go to these gathers what ever they are just to gode the police and cause trouble i read on a post that some were stamping on the flowers

no Jamie, thats not true, there is plenty that you can influence with a vote at a general election hut once something like this is removed there is no incentive for any future government to return it

for the record i don’t think this is a under the guise of covid issue - none of the justification in the bill relates to covid , but it is concerning nonetheless "

get used to it. people such as the op are clearly more than happy to end any legitimate criticism of government.

On a mooch

Pathetic

I have read it which is why I'm commenting on it. "

Having just read the policy paper, it the synopsis above is not what they are proposing. They are extending powers which the police already have in relation to marches to include static and disruptive protests. The sort of protests that disrupt business and people going about their lives. No where does it say that protests will be stopped, but yes they have to follow certain rules to protest.

for the record i don’t think this is a under the guise of covid issue - none of the justification in the bill relates to covid , but it is concerning nonetheless

get used to it. people such as the op are clearly more than happy to end any legitimate criticism of government."

and people such as you are happy to turn a discussion petty by making it personal - dont try involve me in that please

Pathetic

Having just read the policy paper, it the synopsis above is not what they are proposing. They are extending powers which the police already have in relation to marches to include static and disruptive protests. The sort of protests that disrupt business and people going about their lives. No where does it say that protests will be stopped, but yes they have to follow certain rules to protest. "

It includes all public gatherings not just protest and that is a concern.

get used to it. people such as the op are clearly more than happy to end any legitimate criticism of government."

For the record I didn't, nor have I ever, or ever will vote tory. But yet again I find myself having to point out you seem intent on bad mouthing the establishment and highjacking posts in order to do so. Why not just start a thread of your own to put your point over instead?

Pathetic

Having just read the policy paper, it the synopsis above is not what they are proposing. They are extending powers which the police already have in relation to marches to include static and disruptive protests. The sort of protests that disrupt business and people going about their lives. No where does it say that protests will be stopped, but yes they have to follow certain rules to protest. "

it says the police will have the power to set the time limit, the location, the noise level, to decide if it is disruptive to anyone locally etc etc etc

think about a strike and people trying to cross a picket line - that can and will be classed as disruptive

police trying to disperse even a peaceful crowd who are breaking no law, if you refuse to leave you are disrupting police ability to do their job and it automatically becomes illegal

you have to read what it means in practicality rather than just the text on the page

"For the record I didn't, nor have I ever, or ever will vote tory. But yet again I find myself having to point out you seem intent on bad mouthing the establishment and highjacking posts in order to do so. Why not just start a thread of your own to put your point over instead?"

despite you advocation for the wholesale removal of rights, i have the right to comment on a thread regardless of how much it irritates you.

they are also proposing public nuisance which is another wide open to interpretation definition , becomes a case of criminal law rather than civil law

"For the record I didn't, nor have I ever, or ever will vote tory. But yet again I find myself having to point out you seem intent on bad mouthing the establishment and highjacking posts in order to do so. Why not just start a thread of your own to put your point over instead?

despite you advocation for the wholesale removal of rights, i have the right to comment on a thread regardless of how much it irritates you."

Feel free, all I ask is you keep to the OP topic instead of turning every thread into anti establishment propoganda.

"they are also proposing public nuisance which is another wide open to interpretation definition , becomes a case of criminal law rather than civil law "

this has unfortunately been a continuing process since john major passed more new laws in one act than every other prime minister combined since the war, with his criminal justice and public order act 1994

On a mooch

Pathetic

Having just read the policy paper, it the synopsis above is not what they are proposing. They are extending powers which the police already have in relation to marches to include static and disruptive protests. The sort of protests that disrupt business and people going about their lives. No where does it say that protests will be stopped, but yes they have to follow certain rules to protest.

it says the police will have the power to set the time limit, the location, the noise level, to decide if it is disruptive to anyone locally etc etc etc

think about a strike and people trying to cross a picket line - that can and will be classed as disruptive

police trying to disperse even a peaceful crowd who are breaking no law, if you refuse to leave you are disrupting police ability to do their job and it automatically becomes illegal

you have to read what it means in practicality rather than just the text on the page "

Yes they will have the right to set the time limit, location and noise level, nothing different than they already do with marches.

I have read it and personally having been caught up in the mess that is May Day and the earth activists, it’s a good thing. You as someone not involved know exactly when and where it is to take place so can avoid that area.

Pathetic

you have to read what it means in practicality rather than just the text on the page

Yes they will have the right to set the time limit, location and noise level, nothing different than they already do with marches.

I have read it and personally having been caught up in the mess that is May Day and the earth activists, it’s a good thing. You as someone not involved know exactly when and where it is to take place so can avoid that area. "

at the moment if they want to restrict a march or refuse it to go ahead people can have a static protest instead , if in future the police can restrict and therefore refuse both the march and the static protest what options are people left with?

"at the moment if they want to restrict a march or refuse it to go ahead people can have a static protest instead , if in future the police can restrict and therefore refuse both the march and the static protest what options are people left with? "

potentially, as of tomorrow, the conservative parties lifetime ambition of no option to legitimate or meaningful protest