FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Vaccine politics- UK v EU quid pro quo.

Vaccine politics- UK v EU quid pro quo.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just wanting a broad opinion/ comments given the facts that

the UK had received 9 million vaccines from the EU- which has no doubt saved lives.

This has not been reciprocated by the UK.

The US has not exported any of its vaccines either. Infact, Canada has been sourcing its vaccines from Belgium.

The EU has exported 34 millions doses of vaccine- half its production total.

The EU AZ contract was signs the day before the Uk on a ‘ best efforts to supply ‘ terms .

The UK/ US have exported none - although entered into agreements to export vaccines.

So this has lead to the EU requesting a cessation of vaccine exports- as there has been no quid pro quo. Is the UK in for a very harsh lesson?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *udewhennudeMan  over a year ago

newport

The EU have not sent us any vaccines, it does not manufacture vaccines. Companies located in the EU have contracts to provide the U.K. with vaccines.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think the EU deserve to be shown greater respect by us overall. I thought the UK contract was signed some time before the EU one but it's easy to be manipulated by the media, most of which is anti-EU.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Boris realised that vaccination of entire populations is the most effective solution; the ongoing shortage of vaccines caused by limited manufacturing capacity is going to lead to some unseemly behaviour over the next few years.

Covid is both a medical and an economic problem; and the EU-UK hostility adds a political dimension.

Harsh words, posturing, brinkmanship, sanctions, restrictions, trade wars, etc are all potential options in this new high stakes game.

I think the Russians, Chinese and Indians may have already spotted an opportunity!

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

"I think the EU deserve to be shown greater respect by us overall. I thought the UK contract was signed some time before the EU one but it's easy to be manipulated by the media, most of which is anti-EU. "

Are we watching the same media? I think it is quite clear that the EU mishandled their negotiations with the vaccine companies, they botched the subsequent roll out and their politicians then added to the woes by questioning the efficacy of certain vaccines to such an extent that they have now turned public opinion against a key solution their problem. That is not an anti EU media issue - I think that is a well accepted fact.

By *opsytovyMan  over a year ago

coventry

[Removed by poster at 20/03/21 00:29:33]

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The AZ vaccine was researched and developed by Oxford University with UK government funding. The UK signed agreements with AZ and with Pfizer months ahead of the EU.

The Pfizer vaccines are mainly but not entirely manufactured in Belgium. The AZ vaccines in many countries both within the EU and elsewhere (in UK and India for example).

At the end of the day these are all COMMERCIAL contracts between companies, many of which are multi-national, and governments/health authorities etc.

The problem with the EU was their insistence on centralising the procurement with their bureaucratic unelected commission who royally fucked everything up as usual. Member states realised this too late and then started to make their own arrangements...e.g. Poland sourcing unapproved vaccines from Russia and China.

It is probably illegal for them (EU) to block shipments...but court cases to prove that could take years so would be pointless and the EU bully boys know that.

#truecolours.

"The EU have not sent us any vaccines, it does not manufacture vaccines. Companies located in the EU have contracts to provide the U.K. with vaccines. "

Correct but the Uk and US have not exported any vaccines which they should have under contract

"I think the EU deserve to be shown greater respect by us overall. I thought the UK contract was signed some time before the EU one but it's easy to be manipulated by the media, most of which is anti-EU.

Are we watching the same media? I think it is quite clear that the EU mishandled their negotiations with the vaccine companies, they botched the subsequent roll out and their politicians then added to the woes by questioning the efficacy of certain vaccines to such an extent that they have now turned public opinion against a key solution their problem. That is not an anti EU media issue - I think that is a well accepted fact. "

Source CNN

Uk government signed its contract with AZ on August 28th , Eu was the day before/. Both on a best efforts to supply.

"The AZ vaccine was researched and developed by Oxford University with UK government funding. The UK signed agreements with AZ and with Pfizer months ahead of the EU.

The Pfizer vaccines are mainly but not entirely manufactured in Belgium. The AZ vaccines in many countries both within the EU and elsewhere (in UK and India for example).

At the end of the day these are all COMMERCIAL contracts between companies, many of which are multi-national, and governments/health authorities etc.

The problem with the EU was their insistence on centralising the procurement with their bureaucratic unelected commission who royally fucked everything up as usual. Member states realised this too late and then started to make their own arrangements...e.g. Poland sourcing unapproved vaccines from Russia and China.

It is probably illegal for them (EU) to block shipments...but court cases to prove that could take years so would be pointless and the EU bully boys know that.

#truecolours."

See above the EU actually signed their contract before the UK, albeit a day.

Source CNN- they asked for an FOI from the uk government on its contract with AZ.

That’s why the EU published its contract with AZ in January- why do you think the UK government published their with redacted sections.

"I think the EU deserve to be shown greater respect by us overall. I thought the UK contract was signed some time before the EU one but it's easy to be manipulated by the media, most of which is anti-EU.

Are we watching the same media? I think it is quite clear that the EU mishandled their negotiations with the vaccine companies, they botched the subsequent roll out and their politicians then added to the woes by questioning the efficacy of certain vaccines to such an extent that they have now turned public opinion against a key solution their problem. That is not an anti EU media issue - I think that is a well accepted fact. "

Just check up from answers below

CNN got an FOI on the UK actually contract with AZ - it was signed a day after the EU

The following article shows why the UK have failed better in actually getting delivery of AZ doses.

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key-differences-between-the-eu-and-uk-astrazeneca-contracts/

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"The EU have not sent us any vaccines, it does not manufacture vaccines. Companies located in the EU have contracts to provide the U.K. with vaccines.

Correct but the Uk and US have not exported any vaccines which they should have under contract"

Not true at all, Astra zenica have the contracts not the uk .Astra zenica have production plants in europe so there is no need to send vaccines from the uk production plant as they can supply them from there. The UK has bought vaccines from Pfizer which doesn't have ant production in the uk so are obliged to send them.

You are falling for more brussels propaganda to deflect from their total fuck up of procurement.

By *armandwet50Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"The EU have not sent us any vaccines, it does not manufacture vaccines. Companies located in the EU have contracts to provide the U.K. with vaccines.

Correct but the Uk and US have not exported any vaccines which they should have under contractNot true at all, Astra zenica have the contracts not the uk .Astra zenica have production plants in europe so there is no need to send vaccines from the uk production plant as they can supply them from there. The UK has bought vaccines from Pfizer which doesn't have ant production in the uk so are obliged to send them.

You are falling for more brussels propaganda to deflect from their total fuck up of procurement."

The contracts signed by the EU and UK differ with the UK contract being more binding and more specific then the Belgian one used by Brussels.

By *uriouslatexTV/TS  over a year ago

Norfolk

I read this a couple of months ago, and believe the majority is down to the wording and specifics of the contracts. But correct for if I'm wrong.

UK contract is written in English Law language and is very specific on the delivery terms and binding agreements. Believe there is no phrase 'best efforts' used in the UK one.

Compared to the EU contract, it was drafted and written in Belgium (Brussels) head of the EU, and in different legal terms. It wasn't as binding or specific as ours, and they used the term 'best effort'.

In short, the UK contract is very strict and concise what the agreement is between both parties. The EU, not so strict and concise.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think there's a lot of political posturing going on.

"The EU have not sent us any vaccines, it does not manufacture vaccines. Companies located in the EU have contracts to provide the U.K. with vaccines. "

Really? Think this is quite incorrect.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

The EU has 50 mill astra zenica vaccine in storage they have not put in arms yet!

We built the factory in Belgium free of charge for them we have done a hell of a lot for them

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Correct but the Uk and US have not exported any vaccines which they should have under contractNot true at all, Astra zenica have the contracts not the uk .Astra zenica have production plants in europe so there is no need to send vaccines from the uk production plant as they can supply them from there. The UK has bought vaccines from Pfizer which doesn't have ant production in the uk so are obliged to send them.

You are falling for more brussels propaganda to deflect from their total fuck up of procurement."

There is no defence of the Eu on this they as allways are jealous and bitter

"The following article shows why the UK have failed better in actually getting delivery of AZ doses.

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key-differences-between-the-eu-and-uk-astrazeneca-contracts/"

Many thanks for the link, very interesting.

It’s much worse than I thought.

AZ negotiated a contract with the EU in bad faith as they gave terms to the UK which they knew would put the EU at a disadvantage and did not disclose these facts to the EU.

This could get really messy for all parties involved.

"The following article shows why the UK have failed better in actually getting delivery of AZ doses.

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key-differences-between-the-eu-and-uk-astrazeneca-contracts/

AZ negotiated a contract with the EU in bad faith as they gave terms to the UK which they knew would put the EU at a disadvantage and did not disclose these facts to the EU.

This could get really messy for all parties involved."

According to this article, the EU waived its right to take AstraZeneca to court if there are delivery delays and it also states that if AstraZeneca’s performance is “impeded by any such competing agreements, AstraZeneca shall not be deemed in breach” of its agreement with the EU.

All the EU can do is hold back payments to AZ and postulate and bitch about how the UK has secured and rolled out their program etc etc.

It was also interesting to read the differences between EU law and British law on contracts and how other companies like to use British law for this fact, presumably then the preference to trade under British law too.

By *arahspiceCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"Just wanting a broad opinion/ comments given the facts that

the UK had received 9 million vaccines from the EU- which has no doubt saved lives.

The US has not exported any of its vaccines either. Infact, Canada has been sourcing its vaccines from Belgium.

The EU AZ contract was signs the day before the Uk on a ‘ best efforts to supply ‘ terms .

The UK/ US have exported none - although entered into agreements to export vaccines.

So this has lead to the EU requesting a cessation of vaccine exports- as there has been no quid pro quo. Is the UK in for a very harsh lesson?

"

Wrong , they ordered 2 months after the UK

Brighton

You are falling for more brussels propaganda to deflect from their total fuck up of procurement. There is no defence of the Eu on this they as allways are jealous and bitter"

Thank God for Brexit otherwise we would be subject to their dithering to order the vaccine

Why would AZ disclose any facts of another contract to a client (The EU)?

If the EU didn't cross their T's and dot their I's then that is on them I'm afraid.

Why would anyone disclose any contracts they have with others? I'd say that would cause other legal issues and possibly leave them open to litigation.

I don't think they would have knowingly thought the EU was in any disadvantages. These have come about as a result of EU actions.

What's been very clear out if this is the two legal systems are very different.

If the EU didn't cross their T's and dot their I's then that is on them I'm afraid."

There is a conflict of interest clause in the contract I am afraid( as there is in the UK contract- it’s pretty standard stuff)- so it’s back onto AZ.

So they would have to declare it.

If the EU didn't cross their T's and dot their I's then that is on them I'm afraid.

There is a conflict of interest clause in the contract I am afraid( as there is in the UK contract- it’s pretty standard stuff)- so it’s back onto AZ.

"

Where is the conflict of interest?

I'm pretty sure if there was one that could allow the EU commission to legally enforce their contract then they would be used it.

This is a simple case of 2 separate commercial contracts. One of which appears fully enforceable and one which appears a little lackadaisical.

Where is the conflict of interest?

I'm pretty sure if there was one that could allow the EU commission to legally enforce their contract then they would be used it.

This is a simple case of 2 separate commercial contracts. One of which appears fully enforceable and one which appears a little lackadaisical."

I think they have clauses to trigger for a breach of contract so yes ..... that’s where we are now.

"

We didn’t receive any vaccines from the EU. We received vaccines from Oxford and AstraZeneca, that were manufactured in a British (and several other European and non-European countries) funded factory based in Europe, during a time when it wasn’t approved in Europe.

The EU don’t own the product made in the factories. AstraZeneca do.

I repeat, the EU has not given us vaccines.

"The AZ vaccine was researched and developed by Oxford University with UK government funding. The UK signed agreements with AZ and with Pfizer months ahead of the EU.

#truecolours.

Source CNN- they asked for an FOI from the uk government on its contract with AZ.

That’s why the EU published its contract with AZ in January- why do you think the UK government published their with redacted sections."

Given that it’s a British government funded vaccine, developed by a British university, I don’t believe that we would have signed or negotiated our deal after the EU. Pascal Soirot has been on record stating that the EU took many months longer than most countries to reach a deal and fund the vaccine and production.

newport

Really? Think this is quite incorrect."

Then you would be wrong. The EU is a political entity. It does not manufacture vaccines. It’s independent companies that manufacture the vaccines and export them. I sell goods to people in the EU but I would say the the U.K. sold them or supplied them, it’s down to little old me.

newport

Then you would be wrong. The EU is a political entity. It does not manufacture vaccines. It’s independent companies that manufacture the vaccines and export them. I sell goods to people in the EU but I would say the the U.K. sold them or supplied them, it’s down to little old me."

Wouldn’t damn predictive text.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"I think there's a lot of political posturing going on."

I think the EU have been marvellous in all aspects and the UK are naughty naughty boys and at fault for all sides

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

"

The simple short answer is no. Or to quote Charles de Gaule, non!, non!, non!. I would add that the EU administration deserves all it gets.

Then you would be wrong. The EU is a political entity. It does not manufacture vaccines. It’s independent companies that manufacture the vaccines and export them. I sell goods to people in the EU but I would say the the U.K. sold them or supplied them, it’s down to little old me."

You're right I misread your earlier comment.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

It's not easy for some to say that the UK simply done a better job of securing vaccine for their population but that is the facts. Ordered earlier and seems done a better job on the contract. The EU have resorted to the 'don't you know who we are' attitude and trying to deflect blame. They would be better off putting their energy into doing a better job themselves

Tin town

"It's not easy for some to say that the UK simply done a better job of securing vaccine for their population but that is the facts. Ordered earlier and seems done a better job on the contract. The EU have resorted to the 'don't you know who we are' attitude and trying to deflect blame. They would be better off putting their energy into doing a better job themselves "

I think you're right. The UK have got plenty wrong through all this and I'm sure will still get more wrong. But I find it very disappointing to hear us brits finding any excuse they can to heap blame on us and praise the EU. In this particular instance the EU have fucked up and the UK did well so far. There's still plenty of things for the UK haters to moan about. But give us a break when we finally do some things well.

As for the EU... We aren't in it any more... Like a husband being kicked out of his marital home.. We don't live there any more... Its time to move on.

By *ip2Man  over a year ago

Near Maidenhead

Please remember that AstraZenica is doing all their covid work not-for-profit.

There's a good interview online with Pascal Soriot of AZ. It's on repubblica.it.

He says, "You know, we do this at no profit, remember? We didn't go into this to try and make money or whatever. We would like to treat Europe as good as possible. I actually do believe we treated Europe fairly".

It happens that the sites with the lowest capacity in AZ's network are the ones in Europe. He says,

"...The sites that have the lowest productivity in the network are the sites that are supplying Europe. And quite honestly, I mean, we're not doing it on purpose. I'm European, I have Europe at heart. Our chairman is Swedish, is European. Our CFO is European. Many people in the management are European.

"I mean, as a company we are half Swedish and half British. In fact, we're global, of course, but we are European as much as we are British.

"Our total capacity globally now is about 100 million doses a month.

"Europe said the vaccine is common good and everybody needs to get access at the same time globally. That's what we are doing. Europe is getting 17 percent of our global supply for a month for 5 percent of the world population. The problem is: 100 million doses is a lot, but we have 7,5 billion people in the world".

Near Maidenhead

And further to this, there's so much more to be gained by working together, you know?

Like, for instance, did you know that the trials of the Oxford vaccine were made possible by a lab in Italy?

The Oxford team produced tiny vials that are called seed stock. Those tiny vials were used near Rome to grow it into a couple of litres, enough to use for trials, and sent to the UK for trials there.

The Rome lab also sent some to African countries for trials there, and Brazil was involved as well.

Likewise the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine. BioNTech is in Germany. It's a company founded by a husband and wife team who've both got Turkish backgrounds.

The European Investment Bank gave BioNTech funding of 100m euros. The EIB is part of the EU.

If it hadn't been for BioNTech, there wouldn't be a Pfizer vaccine. Or it would have taken longer.

And BioNTech said that they had people from 60 different countries working on the project.

It's so much better to cooperate, it's so much better to work together across borders.

"And further to this, there's so much more to be gained by working together, you know?

Like, for instance, did you know that the trials of the Oxford vaccine were made possible by a lab in Italy?

The Oxford team produced tiny vials that are called seed stock. Those tiny vials were used near Rome to grow it into a couple of litres, enough to use for trials, and sent to the UK for trials there.

The Rome lab also sent some to African countries for trials there, and Brazil was involved as well.

Likewise the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine. BioNTech is in Germany. It's a company founded by a husband and wife team who've both got Turkish backgrounds.

The European Investment Bank gave BioNTech funding of 100m euros. The EIB is part of the EU.

If it hadn't been for BioNTech, there wouldn't be a Pfizer vaccine. Or it would have taken longer.

And BioNTech said that they had people from 60 different countries working on the project.

It's so much better to cooperate, it's so much better to work together across borders. "

So I ask the question again - how many vaccines - of it’s not for profit- has the UK exported to other countries?

"And further to this, there's so much more to be gained by working together, you know?

It's so much better to cooperate, it's so much better to work together across borders.

So I ask the question again - how many vaccines - of it’s not for profit- has the UK exported to other countries?"

The U.K. isn’t responsible for exporting vaccines from AZ factories. That’s private decision by the company, dictated by contractual supply agreements..

The only entity responsible for that is AstraZeneca.

The contracts are between that company and it’s clients (countries). There is no vaccine supply contract between the EU and other countries. There is no vaccine supply contract between the U.K. and other countries (other than our contribution to Covax).

Near Maidenhead

Well apparently, Jon in Dorset, the UK hasn't yet exported any.

All the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine, that's an EU product, developed in the EU, some of it exported to the UK.

I'm supposed to be getting the vaccine first dose on Monday, and do you know what? I'd send it to someone in Latvia, or in Ukraine, or Russia, or Brazil, or Kenya, who needs it more.

I would if I could.

Because I don't need it that bad. I've already had the coronavirus and I didn't even know.

I felt achey in January and I thought it was because I'd been jumping up and down in the garden. I volunteered for a study and they said, the sample you gave, it's positive.

But then again, I do kinda need it, because I see a lot of old people, and I want to protect them?

I've always gone and got the flu jab, in the past, not so much for me, but for them. Like, I try not to kill my customers, you know?

"Well apparently, Jon in Dorset, the UK hasn't yet exported any.

All the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine, that's an EU product, developed in the EU, some of it exported to the UK.

I'm supposed to be getting the vaccine first dose on Monday, and do you know what? I'd send it to someone in Latvia, or in Ukraine, or Russia, or Brazil, or Kenya, who needs it more.

I would if I could.

Because I don't need it that bad. I've already had the coronavirus and I didn't even know.

I felt achey in January and I thought it was because I'd been jumping up and down in the garden. I volunteered for a study and they said, the sample you gave, it's positive.

But then again, I do kinda need it, because I see a lot of old people, and I want to protect them?

I've always gone and got the flu jab, in the past, not so much for me, but for them. Like, I try not to kill my customers, you know?

"

The Pfizer/Biontech vaccine isn’t an “EU product”. It’s a private companies product. The EU did not create the vaccine or even manufacture it. This is where all the confusion and politicising comes from.

Near Maidenhead

But the EU did fund the development of the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine.

At least in part.

100m euros.

There's a European Commission press release about it. 100m euros in debt financing for vaccine development and manufacturing.

And why is BioNTech in Germany? Because it's a good place to do it. The EU's science fund, Horizon, helps. Free movement, helps. EU rules on protection of personal data like as medical records, helps.

And free movement is not a free for all as you will know when you look up EU directive 2004/38.

I would if I could.

"

Pip, I am so sorry you got COVID and I would say to you or anybody- get vaccinated, any vaccine that’s offered.

It’s absolute bastard of a disease and I would’nt it wish it on anyone.

These vaccines are amazing , politics aside, just get vaccinated

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

So I ask the question again - how many vaccines - of it’s not for profit- has the UK exported to other countries?"

Didnt the UK on its own donate more money to the Covax programme (providing vaccines to 3rd world nations, countries that can't afford it, need extra support etc etc) than all of the 28 European countries put together?

KJ

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

"But the EU did fund the development of the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine.

At least in part.

100m euros.

There's a European Commission press release about it. 100m euros in debt financing for vaccine development and manufacturing.

And why is BioNTech in Germany? Because it's a good place to do it. The EU's science fund, Horizon, helps. Free movement, helps. EU rules on protection of personal data like as medical records, helps.

And free movement is not a free for all as you will know when you look up EU directive 2004/38.

"

It's a German company but has branches in the U.S. too and ties with China. As others have said the EU have not exported vaccines, its private companies fulfilling contracts.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

At least in part.

100m euros.

"

BioNTech is in Germany because the founders are German-Turkish. One of the founders was born in Germany to Turkish parents and the other came when he was 4 and is a German national. They set up the company in the land in which they live, not because of any special financial arrangements. BioNTech has been producing immunotherapy products for many years, it just so happens that one of their senior VPs is Katalin Karakó, inventer of the mRNA vaccine (she came up with the idea in the late 1980s).

Near Maidenhead

Talking about BioNTech, yes it's a private company fulfilling contracts.

Let's be accurate, here. Private companies in, say, Germany, operate within the legal framework of national law, and further, within the legal framework of EU law created by the countries coming together to form the European Union, according to the treaties signed by national leaders and approved by their parliaments or by referendum.

milton keynes

"Talking about BioNTech, yes it's a private company fulfilling contracts.

Let's be accurate, here. Private companies in, say, Germany, operate within the legal framework of national law, and further, within the legal framework of EU law created by the countries coming together to form the European Union, according to the treaties signed by national leaders and approved by their parliaments or by referendum."

As do all law abiding companies in all countries. Still means they are private and their achievements are theirs not the EU' s, UK's or anyone else's.

Near Maidenhead

The companies' achievements are indeed theirs.

But the companies don't operate in isolation.

They work within the business environment that's been set up.

That includes incentives, like the incentives to encourage work on rare diseases. These are called orphan medicinal products.

The European Commission has a page on orphan medicinal products.

And there is the Horizon science programme, the European Commission's Research*EU, and funding from the European Investment Bank that is one of the parts of the European Union.

Tin town

"The companies' achievements are indeed theirs.

That includes incentives, like the incentives to encourage work on rare diseases. These are called orphan medicinal products.

And there is the Horizon science programme, the European Commission's Research*EU, and funding from the European Investment Bank that is one of the parts of the European Union."

So pharma companies didn't exist or develop products before the EU and can't exist or develop products without the EU?

Your right, while this current UK government have been useless in combating the effects Covid their handling of the vaccine rollout has been excellent. They ordered millions of vaccines very early even when the vaccine testing was at a very early stage. The overly beurocratic EU have made a hash of it and their continued criticism of the AstraZenica vaccine is not doing them any favours. They need to get their act together as it is in Britain's favour that all countries have a successful vaccination programme. It is only then that life will get back to normal

Brighton

#truecolours.

That’s why the EU published its contract with AZ in January- why do you think the UK government published their with redacted sections."

UK sign off = June 2020

EU sign off = August 2020

Source CNN I think you are getting a little confused The EU ordered later so simply get them supplied later and agreed contract as best as he company can provide.....

Brighton

The company is exporting millions. Its companies not countries who have developed and exporting vaccines

By *extasy19Couple  over a year ago

Northampton

Pascal Soriot, the French CEO of AZ, has stated that the UK ordered its vaccine 3 months ahead of the EU. You conveniently ignore the fact that Macron bullied the EU into betting its house on the 300m jab order with Sanofi, which ultimately could not develop a vaccine. You also ignore the fact that in Europe some of the key delivery agents used are manufactured only in the UK. What the EU is now talking about is on effect the nationalisation of the vaccine pharma industry. Never mind the fact that a number of EU countries has made commercially damaging and defamatory statements about the efficacy of the AZ jab. And never mind the fact that AZ is delivering vaccine at cost while Pfizer-Biontech is charging 10 times as much. All this according to the Telegraph has started scaring off all manner of overseas companies from investing in the EU resulting in huge capital outflows from the EU in November and December.

By *ick_and_BickerCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

"

It's my opinion that your facts are wrong.

M

And there is the Horizon science programme, the European Commission's Research*EU, and funding from the European Investment Bank that is one of the parts of the European Union."

If I read between the lines, I think you’re implying that because a business follows local laws and takes advantage of funding (as do all companies in all countries) then that means the government can claim ownership of those companies, their achievements and even worse - control who they manufacture and sell things to ?

That’s a very scary ideology. Eerily similar to how China, North Korea and Russia operate.

Manchester

If we are to believe the link given earlier the EU did indeed sign a contract 1 day before UK but and I quote;

"the key lies in an earlier agreement that AstraZeneca made back in May with the U.K., which was a binding deal establishing “the development of a dedicated supply chain for the U.K.,” an AstraZeneca spokesperson said."

It would seem the UK had much more forethought in the whole supply chain as well as delivery of the vaccine

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Pascal Soriot, the French CEO of AZ, has stated that the UK ordered its vaccine 3 months ahead of the EU. You conveniently ignore the fact that Macron bullied the EU into betting its house on the 300m jab order with Sanofi, which ultimately could not develop a vaccine. You also ignore the fact that in Europe some of the key delivery agents used are manufactured only in the UK. What the EU is now talking about is on effect the nationalisation of the vaccine pharma industry. Never mind the fact that a number of EU countries has made commercially damaging and defamatory statements about the efficacy of the AZ jab. And never mind the fact that AZ is delivering vaccine at cost while Pfizer-Biontech is charging 10 times as much. All this according to the Telegraph has started scaring off all manner of overseas companies from investing in the EU resulting in huge capital outflows from the EU in November and December. "

The EU will discuss possibly implementing Article 122 this week.

This allows them to effectively take control of the pharma companies on EU soil.

Brighton

"If we are to believe the link given earlier the EU did indeed sign a contract 1 day before UK but and I quote;

"the key lies in an earlier agreement that AstraZeneca made back in May with the U.K., which was a binding deal establishing “the development of a dedicated supply chain for the U.K.,” an AstraZeneca spokesperson said."

It would seem the UK had much more forethought in the whole supply chain as well as delivery of the vaccine"

However the EU didnt sign any agreement before the UK it was false info by the guy who posted it.

Guessing someone not got over Brexit yet lol

"If we are to believe the link given earlier the EU did indeed sign a contract 1 day before UK but and I quote;

It would seem the UK had much more forethought in the whole supply chain as well as delivery of the vaccine

However the EU didnt sign any agreement before the UK it was false info by the guy who posted it.

Guessing someone not got over Brexit yet lol"

Google search CNN EU UK AZ vaccine contracts and have a read

And there is the Horizon science programme, the European Commission's Research*EU, and funding from the European Investment Bank that is one of the parts of the European Union.

If I read between the lines, I think you’re implying that because a business follows local laws and takes advantage of funding (as do all companies in all countries) then that means the government can claim ownership of those companies, their achievements and even worse - control who they manufacture and sell things to ?

That’s a very scary ideology. Eerily similar to how China, North Korea and Russia operate."

The UK government did block GSK partnering with Oxford initially

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Sussex

Guessing someone not got over Brexit yet lol.

Google search CNN EU UK AZ vaccine contracts and have a read"

However payments and agreements were made in June e.g. 3 months before any agreement with the EU.

The EU dithered and wilted under their usual bureaucratic nonsense

By *urekamanfor2Man  over a year ago

Canterbury

Indeed .

The UK agreement with AstraZeneca took place in May 2020 (The EU was in August)

The UK government making a payment of £65M for AstraZeneca to enable the production

Canterbury

It's those still unable to accept Brexit that do not seem to understand basic agreements...

Manchester

The EU did sign a contract 1 day before the UK it's out there in the public domain, go find it

Manchester

"Indeed .

The UK agreement with AstraZeneca took place in May 2020 (The EU was in August)

The UK government making a payment of £65M for AstraZeneca to enable the production "

Yup an agreement was made months before contract signed

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

I would if I could.

Pip, I am so sorry you got COVID and I would say to you or anybody- get vaccinated, any vaccine that’s offered.

It’s absolute bastard of a disease and I would’nt it wish it on anyone.

These vaccines are amazing , politics aside, just get vaccinated "

well said then we can get back to living as normal as possible

Tin town

[Removed by poster at 21/03/21 17:23:15]

Tin town

"Pascal Soriot, the French CEO of AZ, has stated that the UK ordered its vaccine 3 months ahead of the EU. You conveniently ignore the fact that Macron bullied the EU into betting its house on the 300m jab order with Sanofi, which ultimately could not develop a vaccine. You also ignore the fact that in Europe some of the key delivery agents used are manufactured only in the UK. What the EU is now talking about is on effect the nationalisation of the vaccine pharma industry. Never mind the fact that a number of EU countries has made commercially damaging and defamatory statements about the efficacy of the AZ jab. And never mind the fact that AZ is delivering vaccine at cost while Pfizer-Biontech is charging 10 times as much. All this according to the Telegraph has started scaring off all manner of overseas companies from investing in the EU resulting in huge capital outflows from the EU in November and December. "

That's very interesting... Not surprising...

I think we have an opportunity to be the "good guys" and bail out the EUs bungled vaccine contracts.

We will still be better with a good relationship with the French and Germans... Who run the EU.

Tin town

It would seem the UK had much more forethought in the whole supply chain as well as delivery of the vaccine"

And therefore... Through diligent planning.. The EU see fit to bastardise the UK for getting something right. What a fucked up organisation they are. They should be truly ashamed of their leader.

At least in part.

100m euros.

It's a German company but has branches in the U.S. too and ties with China. As others have said the EU have not exported vaccines, its private companies fulfilling contracts."

Maybe the confusion has germinated because the EU started interference with the supply chain and expected companies to comply as if they had some form of control.

Just a thought.

"Pascal Soriot, the French CEO of AZ, has stated that the UK ordered its vaccine 3 months ahead of the EU. You conveniently ignore the fact that Macron bullied the EU into betting its house on the 300m jab order with Sanofi, which ultimately could not develop a vaccine. You also ignore the fact that in Europe some of the key delivery agents used are manufactured only in the UK. What the EU is now talking about is on effect the nationalisation of the vaccine pharma industry. Never mind the fact that a number of EU countries has made commercially damaging and defamatory statements about the efficacy of the AZ jab. And never mind the fact that AZ is delivering vaccine at cost while Pfizer-Biontech is charging 10 times as much. All this according to the Telegraph has started scaring off all manner of overseas companies from investing in the EU resulting in huge capital outflows from the EU in November and December.

The EU will discuss possibly implementing Article 122 this week.

This allows them to effectively take control of the pharma companies on EU soil. "

If this is true and they do then my reasons for voting Brexit are realised even more bluntly than I imagined.

Tin town

At least in part.

100m euros.

It's a German company but has branches in the U.S. too and ties with China. As others have said the EU have not exported vaccines, its private companies fulfilling contracts.

Maybe the confusion has germinated because the EU started interference with the supply chain and expected companies to comply as if they had some form of control.

Just a thought."

Wasn't the whole premise of the EU that governments were forbidden from providing financial support to nor getting involved with running of companies in their Borders? Sounds very much like a lot of interfering going on... And in times of need perhaps it may be necessary but still not right.

Canterbury

The EU did sign a contract 1 day before the UK it's out there in the public domain, go find it "

The uK agreement was 3 months previously though, I think you are missing the vital point ?

Brighton

I think some people are mis reading things ...... The UK agreement was months before . To state when some contracts were signed is misleading as the original UK agreement was in May /June it made all the news as we paid 65m at 5hatvstage force vaccine that didnt exist at that point. Risky but it paid off big time !

#dontmislead about false arbitrary other dates #

The EU did sign a contract 1 day before the UK it's out there in the public domain, go find it

The uK agreement was 3 months previously though, I think you are missing the vital point ?"

Exactly, the one day thing is totally irrelevant if the original agreement was months before. The EU withered and argued as they still are now

#well out of EU fiasco

By *anda and CatCouple  over a year ago

Clever wording, vacines have been imported from the EU, not by the EU, massive difference. However the EU is threatening to block vacines being exported from the EU. Business (imports) and blocking (politics) are very different things.

Brighton

In addition The UK was the first country to approve the vaccine, on 30 December - the EU only did so on Friday.

# EU shambles

milton keynes

I think some people are mis reading things ...... The UK agreement was months before . To state when some contracts were signed is misleading as the original UK agreement was in May /June it made all the news as we paid 65m at 5hatvstage force vaccine that didnt exist at that point. Risky but it paid off big time !

#dontmislead about false arbitrary other dates #"

It's intended to be misleading in an attempt to hide the facts the EU messed up. Bit like trying to claim its an EU vaccine

Brighton

#dontmislead about false arbitrary other dates #

It's intended to be misleading in an attempt to hide the facts the EU messed up. Bit like trying to claim its an EU vaccine"

Exactly, someone is muddling the waters with these dates when it's well published that the UK agreement was 3 months prior to the EU. In addition even when the EU agreement was made the EU failed to make the agreed payments

By *avid ElliottCouple  over a year ago

West Worthing

It's the EU muck throwing trying to blame others for their lateness , bureaucracy and outrite incompetence!

West Worthing

And therefore... Through diligent planning.. The EU see fit to bastardise the UK for getting something right. What a fucked up organisation they are. They should be truly ashamed of their leader. "

I voted to stay but seeing their incompetence and downright false information they are spouting we are well rid

The EU signed before the UK , but the UK approved the vaccine months before the EU and so were supplied first by the manufacturer , it's the EU's own fault that it took so long to pass the vaccine

S.ireland has only started to give it's people the vaccine and are months behind the UK

Canterbury

That's the point though . The EU did not sign before the UK.

That date quoted was 3 months after the UK signed its FIRST agreement

West Worthing

"The EU signed before the UK , but the UK approved the vaccine months before the EU and so were supplied first by the manufacturer , it's the EU's own fault that it took so long to pass the vaccine

S.ireland has only started to give it's people the vaccine and are months behind the UK"

Incorrect . The EU did not sign before the UKs initial contract. That was a subsequent contract the UK had signed

To suppose that our European friends are taking a sensible, rational, risk based approach to the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine is to forget that people have burned witches, gone to war on a whim, risen to the defense of Joseph Stalin and believed Orson Welles when he told them over the radio that the Martians had landed…

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

It's a quasi vaccine, pseudo vaccine, not safe... not for over 65s.....

If trump had said what macron has.....

Brighton

"It's a quasi vaccine, pseudo vaccine, not safe... not for over 65s.....

If trump had said what macron has....."

Yes they have done everything possible not to use the damned thing then have the cheek to complain they haven't enough!!

Grantham

Last week in the EU, regarding the AZ vaccine.

EMA... "vaccine is safe to use"

Belguim... "we are not giving it to the over 55s"

France...."we are only giving it to the over 55s"

Mixed messages like that will probably cost lives.

By *tue555Man  over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

There is political game playing going on. Macron is on record of saying that UK should not benefit from bexit. French are unhappy with the leadership and in Germany with elections coming up soon. EU is fracturing and some member states are looking to the untested and unapproved Chinese and Russian vaccines. It is in their interest that this whole AZ escalates. People are playing politics with people's lives simply.

It is like GOT

Tin town

"Last week in the EU, regarding the AZ vaccine.

EMA... "vaccine is safe to use"

Belguim... "we are not giving it to the over 55s"

France...."we are only giving it to the over 55s"

Mixed messages like that will probably cost lives.

"

It's a good job it was centralised to have one European wide vaccine strategy

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

I own a drug company and want to ship drugs world wide, is Europe a good Base now? Err, perhaps not lol

Near Maidenhead

Every EU country can authorise an emergency medicine straight away.

It's not compulsory to wait for the EMA.

That means that everything the UK has done, it could have done as an EU member.

Tin town

"Every EU country can authorise an emergency medicine straight away.

That means that everything the UK has done, it could have done as an EU member."

Makes you wonder why none of the remaining EU countries did that whilst waiting for vaccines to be approved slowly by the ema and procured even more slowly.

North West

Makes you wonder why none of the remaining EU countries did that whilst waiting for vaccines to be approved slowly by the ema and procured even more slowly. "

Some did. Hungary and I think at least one other bought Russian Sputnik vaccines.

Tin town

Makes you wonder why none of the remaining EU countries did that whilst waiting for vaccines to be approved slowly by the ema and procured even more slowly.

Some did. Hungary and I think at least one other bought Russian Sputnik vaccines. "

That's one then. And one other with no name

North West

Some did. Hungary and I think at least one other bought Russian Sputnik vaccines.

That's one then. And one other with no name"

Hungary, Slovakia bought it. Czech Republic probably going to. I couldn't be arsed to Google it earlier. Some countries have chosen or are choosing to do their own thing. Yes, a small number thus far, but some. Just sharing facts, not venturing an opinion

Grantham

I think some of the smaller member states will vent their ire at France and Germany, who seemed to put their own interests first in developing their own vaccines, rather than jumping on the worldwide vaccine chase last summer.

Maybe we could offer the EU our vaccine taskforce to help speed things along?

Manchester

The uK agreement was 3 months previously though, I think you are missing the vital point ?"

I'm not missing any point, I'm just stating facts

Canterbury

The uK agreement was 3 months previously though, I think you are missing the vital point ?

I'm not missing any point, I'm just stating facts"

But you are mis understanding the facts and mis quoting as the EU signed their agreement 3 months after the UK .

You have missed the point .

West Worthing

I'm not missing any point, I'm just stating facts"

Think of the order of events

1. Say if you signed a contract to purchase something and had to wait 6 months for delivery.

2. 3 months later your neighbour agreed to purchase the same.

3. Then you then decided to order more .

Would you then say your neighbour's ordered first ? Your logic is misguided

Canterbury

1. Say if you signed a contract to purchase something and had to wait 6 months for delivery.

Would you then say your neighbour's ordered first ? Your logic is misguided "

Thank you yes the logic of some people unfortunately is sadly lacking .

Tin town

That's one then. And one other with no name

Hungary, Slovakia bought it. Czech Republic probably going to. I couldn't be arsed to Google it earlier. Some countries have chosen or are choosing to do their own thing. Yes, a small number thus far, but some. Just sharing facts, not venturing an opinion "

Interesting.. Czech currently with the highest per 100k deaths so can easily understand how they can be doing anything to reduce those numbers. Mistakes happen but wonder why 12 months into this EU are still on the face of it backing their central vaccine strategy. Clearly vaccine nationalism is happening and it was always going to happen with such an imbalance in supply and demand and control resting with a handful of the wealthiest nations.

Once blockades start happening that's only going to make for tit for tat and make the matter a lot worse.

AZ will regret doing this at cost for philanthropic reasons. If it costs nothing people don't value it.

Near Maidenhead

The EU supports private enterprise.

There are rules to protect companies' intellectual property.

There are rules to ensure fair competition.

EU law is part of the regulatory framework that medicine companies in the EU countries work in.

This is not the same as "taking ownership", no. Not at all.

France and Germany are both minorities in the EU's democratic voting system.

Not even the big four by population together - as they were - France, Germany, Italy and UK, had enough voting weight to pass any proposal.

It was:

Germany: 15.93% of the total population;

France: 12.98%

UK: 12.61%

Italy: 11.81%

To pass a proposal needed:

- 16 out of 28 countries in favour, and

- the countries in favour had to represent 65% of the total population.

See how the stats for France and Germany are nowhere near a majority!

And the independence of the European Commission is another safeguard.

Only the Commission can formally make a proposal.

That's good! It helps to make sure that proposals are generally in the interest of all the countries.

It helps to the avoid selfish interests of any one particular country.

That's good for everyone.

Near Maidenhead

"Makes you wonder why none of the remaining EU countries did that whilst waiting for vaccines to be approved slowly by the ema and procured even more slowly. "

Well, backformore, the EMA has actually been quick. The EMA has given early approval without all the evidence usually needed.

Last year there was a scramble for PPE. So all the rest of Europe said, you know, that was bad, let's not do that again on buying vaccines, let's do it in a better way this time...?

By *oroRick1027Man  over a year ago

The Boro

We are supporting the EU. The Pfizer vaccine made in Germany cannot be made without a component made in and supplied by the UK

Near Maidenhead

"The Pfizer vaccine made in Germany cannot be made without a component made in and supplied by the UK"

It's the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine. Without BioNTech there wouldn't be that vaccine. Or it would have taken longer.

Source for the claim that EU manufacturing depends on a part from the UK? I find it doubtful.

It's doubtful because that's what EU anti-dumping rules are for.

It's in the interest of the members to make sure that there is always a supplier of something somewhere inside at least one of the member countries, as much as possible.

Where there is only a single supplier in the Union then EU anti-dumping rules protect that supplier against imports from outside.

As a member the UK benefited from anti-dumping rules.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

It's been politicised and there is Blame on all sides.

milton keynes

"The Pfizer vaccine made in Germany cannot be made without a component made in and supplied by the UK

It's the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine. Without BioNTech there wouldn't be that vaccine. Or it would have taken longer.

Source for the claim that EU manufacturing depends on a part from the UK? I find it doubtful.

It's in the interest of the members to make sure that there is always a supplier of something somewhere inside at least one of the member countries, as much as possible.

Where there is only a single supplier in the Union then EU anti-dumping rules protect that supplier against imports from outside.

As a member the UK benefited from anti-dumping rules."

On the news yesterday they said the Pfizer vaccine has 58 separate components that are supplied by 19 countries many of which are outside the EU.

Tin town

"The Pfizer vaccine made in Germany cannot be made without a component made in and supplied by the UK

As a member the UK benefited from anti-dumping rules.

On the news yesterday they said the Pfizer vaccine has 58 separate components that are supplied by 19 countries many of which are outside the EU. "

Doubtful perhaps... But true neverthe less....

See this link and extract from it...

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/covid-19-what-impact-would-an-eu-export-ban-have-on-the-uks-vaccine-programme-12253761

Where are they made?

Manufacturing the Pfizer vaccine, a new technology, is complex. It requires processes in the US before raw materials are transferred to Europe, where the final steps are completed at the company's facility in Puurs, Belgium. Following an overhaul in February, Pfizer has upgraded its global production forecast for 2021 from 1.3bn to 2.3bn doses.

There is no production in the UK but one of the key components - the lipids used in the vaccine - are manufactured by British chemicals giant Croda here and in the US.

The AZ vaccine is manufactured under contract in the UK, Europe, India and the United States. UK production takes place at two plants, Oxford Biomedica in Oxford and Cobra Biologics in Keele, with 'fill-and-finish' taking place in Wrexham at a plant owned by Wockhardt.

There are also two sites in Europe: Thermo Fisher Scientific in Seneffe, Belgium, and Halix in Leiden in the Netherlands. The Halix plant is at the centre of the political tension between Brussels and London, but is still awaiting approval by the European Medicines Agency.

Canterbury

What a complete and utter mess the EU has made of this , it just confirms a lot of reasons of why we pulled out and wanted nothing to do with this overly bureaucratic community

Canterbury

Would you then say your neighbour's ordered first ? Your logic is misguided "

Tin town

This is a little more background info...

The final paragraph is illuminating...

"The issue highlighted by EU officials in recent days is that AstraZeneca has a plant in the Netherlands’ Leiden Bio Science Park, producing vaccines.

The plant, run by the subcontractor Halix, has not exported any jabs to the EU as yet as the facility is yet to be given approval by the European Medicines Agency.

Neither has it exported a significant number of completed doses to the UK. No exports have been made to the UK in the last two months and if any were sent before that they were only samples or doses for use in clinical trials. AstraZeneca’s production for the UK market is largely covered by production in Oxford and Staffordshire, with input also expected from a manufacturing partner in India in the event of yields in Britain being lower than expected.

But the Dutch plant is building up something of a stockpile now – and both the EU and the UK want them. More to the point the both believe they have a claim to them.

The UK’s early financing of Oxford University’s efforts, and its tie-up with the Anglo-Swedish pharma giant AstraZeneca, gave the government the opportunity to stipulate that UK requirements should be prioritised by the company if a successful vaccine emerged.

But a lower-than-expected yield in the UK plants in recent weeks, and a stalling of production at the Serum Institute of India Ltd, has left the British government wanting. It expects doses made in the Netherlands to come its way, a scenario that Brussels is understandably not at all happy with given the shortfalls it has suffered on expected AstraZeneca’s deliveries and the company’s refusal to divert doses in the UK to the EU.

Under the EU’s export authorisation mechanism, brought into force at the end of January, the European commission has the power to block a request by a company to send doses out of the bloc.

The Dutch government is not one to stand in the way of exports but it is ultimately up to Brussels. While no export request has been made as yet, EU officials have suggested that there is little chance of such an export being granted by the commission, especially given that the EMA is expected to give the Dutch plant its approval to make doses for the EU within days.

The optics of doses leaving the EU for Britain when its own vaccination programme is only slowly gearing up are not good. This, then, has all the appearances of a zero-sum game.

But the Dutch government is pushing for a little less aggravation and a little more negotiation – and with the UK now in the envious position of having vaccinated half the population, the UK has an opportunity to be a less self-congratulatory and tad more magnanimous.

On Sunday, the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, gave more than a hint that initially doses made in the Netherlands and then the UK could be shared, and that joint investment in scaling up production was on the cards.

“We could absolutely work together to continue to maximise production,” he told The Andrew Marr show. “We’re exploring where else we can grow the supply chain, whether at home or abroad.”

The truth is that neither the UK nor the EU are in desperate need of more jabs. The EU is expecting approximately 300m doses in the second quarter of this year, and 55m of those will be from Johnson & Johnson, whose product requires only a single shot to be fully effective.

liverpool

"What a complete and utter mess the EU has made of this , it just confirms a lot of reasons of why we pulled out and wanted nothing to do with this overly bureaucratic community "

Yep that crystal ball came in particularly handy.

"This is a little more background info...

"The issue highlighted by EU officials in recent days is that AstraZeneca has a plant in the Netherlands’ Leiden Bio Science Park, producing vaccines.

The plant, run by the subcontractor Halix, has not exported any jabs to the EU as yet as the facility is yet to be given approval by the European Medicines Agency.

Neither has it exported a significant number of completed doses to the UK. No exports have been made to the UK in the last two months and if any were sent before that they were only samples or doses for use in clinical trials. AstraZeneca’s production for the UK market is largely covered by production in Oxford and Staffordshire, with input also expected from a manufacturing partner in India in the event of yields in Britain being lower than expected.

But the Dutch plant is building up something of a stockpile now – and both the EU and the UK want them. More to the point the both believe they have a claim to them.

The UK’s early financing of Oxford University’s efforts, and its tie-up with the Anglo-Swedish pharma giant AstraZeneca, gave the government the opportunity to stipulate that UK requirements should be prioritised by the company if a successful vaccine emerged.

But a lower-than-expected yield in the UK plants in recent weeks, and a stalling of production at the Serum Institute of India Ltd, has left the British government wanting. It expects doses made in the Netherlands to come its way, a scenario that Brussels is understandably not at all happy with given the shortfalls it has suffered on expected AstraZeneca’s deliveries and the company’s refusal to divert doses in the UK to the EU.

Under the EU’s export authorisation mechanism, brought into force at the end of January, the European commission has the power to block a request by a company to send doses out of the bloc.

The Dutch government is not one to stand in the way of exports but it is ultimately up to Brussels. While no export request has been made as yet, EU officials have suggested that there is little chance of such an export being granted by the commission, especially given that the EMA is expected to give the Dutch plant its approval to make doses for the EU within days.

The optics of doses leaving the EU for Britain when its own vaccination programme is only slowly gearing up are not good. This, then, has all the appearances of a zero-sum game.

But the Dutch government is pushing for a little less aggravation and a little more negotiation – and with the UK now in the envious position of having vaccinated half the population, the UK has an opportunity to be a less self-congratulatory and tad more magnanimous.

On Sunday, the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, gave more than a hint that initially doses made in the Netherlands and then the UK could be shared, and that joint investment in scaling up production was on the cards.

“We could absolutely work together to continue to maximise production,” he told The Andrew Marr show. “We’re exploring where else we can grow the supply chain, whether at home or abroad.”

The truth is that neither the UK nor the EU are in desperate need of more jabs. The EU is expecting approximately 300m doses in the second quarter of this year, and 55m of those will be from Johnson & Johnson, whose product requires only a single shot to be fully effective."

I think you are right regarding supply - there are a lot of vaccines coming on line shortly.

AZ are unfortunately not transparent in some of their actions with the EU and they are in trouble again over in the US for not disclosing all up to date trial data.

Reputation is critical to vaccine compliance and AZ’s ( especially after what’s happened in the US) actions are not helpful.

By *ick_and_BickerCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

The truth is that neither the UK nor the EU are in desperate need of more jabs. The EU is expecting approximately 300m doses in the second quarter of this year, and 55m of those will be from Johnson & Johnson, whose product requires only a single shot to be fully effective.

I think you are right regarding supply - there are a lot of vaccines coming on line shortly.

AZ are unfortunately not transparent in some of their actions with the EU and they are in trouble again over in the US for not disclosing all up to date trial data.

Reputation is critical to vaccine compliance and AZ’s ( especially after what’s happened in the US) actions are not helpful."

The USA, litigation capitol of the world.

Someone in the States starts a legal action.

The world is surprisingly surprised.

The country responsible for the "Do not put live animals in the microwave" and "this product may contain nuts" on a bag of peanuts.

In summary, no one should be surprised at a legal action against anyone or anything in the States.

M

liverpool

Reputation is critical to vaccine compliance and AZ’s ( especially after what’s happened in the US) actions are not helpful.

The USA, litigation capitol of the world.

Someone in the States starts a legal action.

The world is surprisingly surprised.

The country responsible for the "Do not put live animals in the microwave" and "this product may contain nuts" on a bag of peanuts.

In summary, no one should be surprised at a legal action against anyone or anything in the States.

M"

Remember trump trying to get a german vaccine that would only be used in America?

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

It makes no odds who exported where. Tomorrow some UK vaccination centres will be shut for lack of vaccine, whilst the EU has stockpiles of the AZ vaccine. This clearly indicates that even if we exported to them it would be stockpiled, and take an age to end up in arms.

The EU needs to get its crap in one sock and start putting it into its citizens, then worry about supplies and where they will come from.

Yet again the EU is just making itself a laughing stock. If so far they have been under supplied and still not used what stock they have, it makes them look stupid - had they been supplied fully they would be awash with vaccine.

liverpool

"It makes no odds who exported where. Tomorrow some UK vaccination centres will be shut for lack of vaccine, whilst the EU has stockpiles of the AZ vaccine. This clearly indicates that even if we exported to them it would be stockpiled, and take an age to end up in arms.

The EU needs to get its crap in one sock and start putting it into its citizens, then worry about supplies and where they will come from.

Yet again the EU is just making itself a laughing stock. If so far they have been under supplied and still not used what stock they have, it makes them look stupid - had they been supplied fully they would be awash with vaccine. "

There is little argument that they have handled it badly from day 1.

milton keynes

"It makes no odds who exported where. Tomorrow some UK vaccination centres will be shut for lack of vaccine, whilst the EU has stockpiles of the AZ vaccine. This clearly indicates that even if we exported to them it would be stockpiled, and take an age to end up in arms.

Yet again the EU is just making itself a laughing stock. If so far they have been under supplied and still not used what stock they have, it makes them look stupid - had they been supplied fully they would be awash with vaccine. "

The world is watching their antics. If they are not careful this will come back to bite them

Tin town

Yet again the EU is just making itself a laughing stock. If so far they have been under supplied and still not used what stock they have, it makes them look stupid - had they been supplied fully they would be awash with vaccine.

There is little argument that they have handled it badly from day 1."

They have... We need to be careful with the finger pointing though. We are all a long way from home with this and a summer of madness will put us back where we were at the start. Plus we haven't even talked about booster shots yet.

What would be good (and would leave us with no wriggle room) would be if they said... 'you know what... We fucked up and we are asking you for some help in making it right'.

Equally we could say... "we've been doing well so far, can we help you out in a small way...after we have finished our priority groups"

"and by the way can we sell our shelf fish"...

Dream on...

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

There probably wouldn't even be a oxford vaccine yet if the uk government had not invested heavily in the development of it at the start.

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Reported in the Politico. It seems yet again the EU royally cocked up. Their own inspectors who investigated the serum plants in the EU say they did not even have enough serum to supply the EU contracts and still don't. Even with US supplied serum in the past in and in the future it still does not seem sufficient for them to catch up.

To cap it all, serum for the EU from Belgium was due to be bottled in Wales and returned, only for it to be prevented getting there by VDL and cronies stopping 'all exports' of vaccine from the EU.

The problem for the EU now it seems is not so much stopping exports of the vaccine, but importing enough serum.

What a mess.

By *heCheekyDevilMan  over a year ago

Durham

anyone wanting real adverse reaction data from the UK government here it is, ran by the MHRA & the yellow card scheme.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

near the bottom you can use the links looking like below to see up to data data on adverse effects/deaths for each of the jabs the UK GOV offer.

Vaccine Analysis Profile - Pfizer/BioNTech

Vaccine Analysis Profile - Oxford University/AstraZeneca

Vaccine Analysis Profile - Moderna

Vaccine Analysis Profile - brand unspecified

hope it helps & remember it IS an experimental medication. authorised for use due to public need by the MHRA.

the medical trials are ongoing until 2023 , anyone taking them are part of the stage 3 trials.

always do your own research & make an informed choice.

» Add a new message to this topic