FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Bristol Police Cars on Fire

Bristol Police Cars on Fire

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *reyya OP   Man  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

Mains stream press reporting police cars on fire in Bristol. Police station attacked and Police officers suffer broken bones. (Sky News)

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

North Yorkshire

Protesters demonstrating against new bill that restricts rights to protest. Sky News reporting it as an illegal demonstration.

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

Anarchy in the UK, well Bristol anyway.

Apparently protestesting against police receiving more power to deal with.......protesting.

It's all getting very messy week by week.

North Yorkshire

British people have a democratic right to free speech and to protest. The police operating a two tier policing policy have tried to deny these rights selectivity oppressing people protesting peacefully while allowing BLM protesters to protest unhindered.

Until the British people are notified that a secret bloodless coup de'tat has taken place the British people will express their disapproval of where this Govt is taking us in the only way open to then and that is by the medium of free speech and protest marches.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Protesters demonstrating against new bill that restricts rights to protest. Sky News reporting it as an illegal demonstration. "

Well in fairness it is illegal at the moment and I don't think they are helping the cause they are protesting about.

Im totally against the majority of the wording of this bill however they are definitely not helping the situation by rioting and that is what they are doing, it is no longer a protest.

"British people have a democratic right to free speech and to protest. The police operating a two tier policing policy have tried to deny these rights selectivity oppressing people protesting peacefully while allowing BLM protesters to protest unhindered.

Until the British people are notified that a secret bloodless coup de'tat has taken place the British people will express their disapproval of where this Govt is taking us in the only way open to then and that is by the medium of free speech and protest marches. "

They didn't intervene in the black lives matter protests except where criminal activity happened but they happened before the new law came into effect before that it was only guidance.

Absolutely incredible, words fail me

By *ev_1Couple  over a year ago

Bickliegh

Disgusting behaviour.

By *ackandtheunicornCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

I fully agree with their cause and should do everything possible to oppose the new bill.

But this violence is counter-productive and will not help the cause. Peaceful protest only.

"I fully agree with their cause and should do everything possible to oppose the new bill.

But this violence is counter-productive and will not help the cause. Peaceful protest only."

I reckon most of them are just out for a fight and don't even know what they are rioting about.

No pubs or football matches to cause trouble at.....

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

"I fully agree with their cause and should do everything possible to oppose the new bill.

But this violence is counter-productive and will not help the cause. Peaceful protest only.

I reckon most of them are just out for a fight and don't even know what they are rioting about.

No pubs or football matches to cause trouble at....."

Exactly this. Just groups of thugs.

"British people have a democratic right to free speech and to protest. "

No. They don't.

By *aintscoupleCouple  over a year ago

st helens

Most of the ones involved in the violence seemed like spotty faced teenagers who had no interest in peaceful protest.

By *urekamanfor2Man  over a year ago

Shoreham

Went to easy on them . Need to get water cannons on them and/or humiliate them showing faces on TV

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

Need to take a full on approach, water cannons and tear gas.

Anyone caught causing the damage should have a £15,000 fine and a permanent police record. Shown on the web for everyone to see.

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"British people have a democratic right to free speech and to protest. The police operating a two tier policing policy have tried to deny these rights selectivity oppressing people protesting peacefully while allowing BLM protesters to protest unhindered.

Until the British people are notified that a secret bloodless coup de'tat has taken place the British people will express their disapproval of where this Govt is taking us in the only way open to then and that is by the medium of free speech and protest marches. "

Secret huh?...and yet it’s on the news..

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"British people have a democratic right to free speech and to protest.

No. They don't."

Yes we do. It's very important to voice our opposition to this new bill that is being rammed thru parliament as it is a serious threat to liberal society and civil liberties.

Obviously what happened at Bristol is wrong, moronic and counterproductive to the points being raised.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

There is so much irony in a protest against the bill to prevent disruptive protesting becoming disruptive and violent!

Gotta say though, alongside the idiots just out for trouble there are two words that I suspect are highly relevant here...

Agent Provocateur (no not the lingerie)

Bristol peaceful protesters...my arse..

They have just proved why extra powers are being put in place..so counter productive.

If you want to protest peacefully and gain further support from other members of the public then don't smash the place up.Bloody idiots the lot of them.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

The actions of yesterday just prove why this bill is needed, which is fundamentally an extension of powers that the police already have to control marches, location, start times and alike.

If you really want to peacefully protest/March for your cause, not cause damage, not cause disruption to every day life, you wouldn’t have a problem with this

If you ask me, this is what happens when you remove civil rights. What’s the point in protesting peacefully now if there’s a chance you could do a 10 year stretch/£10k fine for it? The biggest underestimation this dystopian government have had is that people will just be silent if they are intimidated into it. If they can’t make themselves heard one way, they’ll do the other. And here we are

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Yep nothing says "protect my freedoms to protest" whilst setting fire to things, smashing up property and fighting people who are trying to peacefully protect the general population.

The irony of these pinheads behaviour is staggering.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Looking at the people in attendance I agree with you.

Tin town

"If you ask me, this is what happens when you remove civil rights. What’s the point in protesting peacefully now if there’s a chance you could do a 10 year stretch/£10k fine for it? The biggest underestimation this dystopian government have had is that people will just be silent if they are intimidated into it. If they can’t make themselves heard one way, they’ll do the other. And here we are"

There's never been any point to peaceful protest. I'm no historian but in my opinion it achieves precisely nothing apart from make the protestors feel good about themselves. Now you can also layer on virtue signalling and click bait.

What precisely has that protest achieved? Save for damage to the community, injuries to police and spreading a virus in a time when we are doing everything we can to stop its spread.

If there is a genuine grievance, stand up, represent your community and be elected and follow the democratic process. But please don't go and smash things up and think you're representing me or mine.

Tin town

Looking at the people in attendance I agree with you. "

Suns out... Warmer weather... Furlough in my pocket... Let's go riot.

Wait till Easter weekend and 4 days of sunshine.

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Bristol peaceful protesters...my arse..

They have just proved why extra powers are being put in place..so counter productive.

If you want to protest peacefully and gain further support from other members of the public then don't smash the place up.Bloody idiots the lot of them."

What they are doing already breaks the current law so why are extra laws aimed at peaceful protest required?

Anyway, I'm firmly against many parts of the government's bill but criminality like this is not the way to react. Stupid and damaging.

When they get arrested and get charged they will be crying how unfair it is completely ignorant to the fact of criminal damage .

Though in all probability it’s going to be a few players from the shittier activist groups that like tagging on others and just using it as a springboard to cause carnage. Much like the blm protests that had the same issues .

When I was on duty abroad protecting British interests we had to stand in front of violent protesters and not let them break through.

During one such event the angry mob made its way to the front armed with bats and started pushing.

The order was given to send a message.

So I turned my rifle and hit a women straight in the face with the butt. Didn't care who it was she was just in range.

Suddenly the mob backed off because they now knew that we were not going to stand for their behaviour

Do deal with animals you need to act.

No pandering or weakness send out the message and crack a few heads.

I'm all for peaceful protest but during a pandemic when we all want to get back to normal asap?

Fuck em. Deal with them hunt down the ring leaders and beat them up.

It's how police deal with trouble all over the world. Except in weak England.

By *atelotmanMan  over a year ago

Chatham

Its wasnt the police setting fire to their cars an vans,it wasnt them breaking bones of fellow officers. I can see the army being call on, rubber bullets tear gas. An why? bloody mindless fools.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"There is so much irony in a protest against the bill to prevent disruptive protesting becoming disruptive and violent!

Gotta say though, alongside the idiots just out for trouble there are two words that I suspect are highly relevant here...

Agent Provocateur (no not the lingerie) "

Absolutely.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if undercover "agitators" (clandestine operators) were present to stir-up / conduct certain acts in order to drive the protest to the desired outcome.

If I ran an authoritarian/right-wing government in some highly dystopian future, it's exactly what I would do in order to ram home a Bill in my government.

(I'm not by the way authoritarian, quite the reverse in fact). Just pointing out that for some, the ends justify the means.

"If you ask me, this is what happens when you remove civil rights. What’s the point in protesting peacefully now if there’s a chance you could do a 10 year stretch/£10k fine for it? The biggest underestimation this dystopian government have had is that people will just be silent if they are intimidated into it. If they can’t make themselves heard one way, they’ll do the other. And here we are

There's never been any point to peaceful protest. I'm no historian but in my opinion it achieves precisely nothing apart from make the protestors feel good about themselves. Now you can also layer on virtue signalling and click bait.

What precisely has that protest achieved? Save for damage to the community, injuries to police and spreading a virus in a time when we are doing everything we can to stop its spread.

If there is a genuine grievance, stand up, represent your community and be elected and follow the democratic process. But please don't go and smash things up and think you're representing me or mine. "

To be clear I’m not saying I support wrecking the town, I mean what do the govt expect. The whole purpose of protest is because the system has failed in representing those protesting, and it needs to be disruptive because that’s the point, people aren’t listening. Like those extinction rebellion lot - they were dismissed as hippies until they stopped Londoners from getting to work, all of a sudden there’s reports on the news about who they are and their message. Except they’d be violently removed now and thrown in prison. So my point is, did anyone expect anything else? If point A is too soft and isn’t working and the govt have just criminalised point B, may as well just go from A to C

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

If you want to protest peacefully and gain further support from other members of the public then don't smash the place up.Bloody idiots the lot of them.

What they are doing already breaks the current law so why are extra laws aimed at peaceful protest required?

Anyway, I'm firmly against many parts of the government's bill but criminality like this is not the way to react. Stupid and damaging. "

Tend to agree, all they've done is made a lot of people who won't even read the details of the bill think extra powers are needed/agree with Patel etc..

is there a certain irony in a bill which gives the police more powers but they have had their numbers cut so end up standing watching their vehicles burn instead of preventing such criminal acts..

By *arahspiceCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

We obviously now need extra powers to stop these serial trouble makers.

Its probably the same idiots that took the law into their own hands and ruining statues etc.

#hitemhard

Brighton

"Its wasnt the police setting fire to their cars an vans,it wasnt them breaking bones of fellow officers. I can see the army being call on, rubber bullets tear gas. An why? bloody mindless fools. "

I saw someone suggest water cannons which seemed a great thing to do

Shoreham

"Its wasnt the police setting fire to their cars an vans,it wasnt them breaking bones of fellow officers. I can see the army being call on, rubber bullets tear gas. An why? bloody mindless fools.

I saw someone suggest water cannons which seemed a great thing to do"

#cleantheunwashed

Anyway, I'm firmly against many parts of the government's bill but criminality like this is not the way to react. Stupid and damaging.

Tend to agree, all they've done is made a lot of people who won't even read the details of the bill think extra powers are needed/agree with Patel etc..

is there a certain irony in a bill which gives the police more powers but they have had their numbers cut so end up standing watching their vehicles burn instead of preventing such criminal acts..

"

And if they had, there would have been bleats of police over stepping the mark. Damned of they do, damned if they don't. Meanwhile we all sit comfortably at home offering our unqualified opinions on how they should do their jobs.

in Lancashire

And if they had, there would have been bleats of police over stepping the mark. Damned of they do, damned if they don't. Meanwhile we all sit comfortably at home offering our unqualified opinions on how they should do their jobs."

Not from me mate, having been in their position albeit a long time ago my opinion is when it escalates to the level of officers injured etc one of the options is to step up the response targeting those specific individuals..

Force commander obviously decided otherwise on this occasion..

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Its wasnt the police setting fire to their cars an vans,it wasnt them breaking bones of fellow officers. I can see the army being call on, rubber bullets tear gas. An why? bloody mindless fools.

I saw someone suggest water cannons which seemed a great thing to do"

They didn't seem to have a problem using water cannons in Germany and Holland this weekend.

No. They don't.

Yes we do. It's very important to voice our opposition to this new bill that is being rammed thru parliament as it is a serious threat to liberal society and civil liberties.

Obviously what happened at Bristol is wrong, moronic and counterproductive to the points being raised."

There is no 'right' to free speech enshrined in law.

Bickliegh

Unfortunately in the UK we are not allowed to use water cannons which is a pity 3 new ones were bought but had to be scrapped due to the UK being to soft and unlawful to use them how soft we are

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

No. They don't.

Obviously what happened at Bristol is wrong, moronic and counterproductive to the points being raised.

"

Article 10 if the Human Rights Act 1998- Freedom of Expression.

Shoreham

"Unfortunately in the UK we are not allowed to use water cannons which is a pity 3 new ones were bought but had to be scrapped due to the UK being to soft and unlawful to use them how soft we are "

Oh no !! We are too soft , we used them in N Ireland to great affect against other unwashed types....

Bickliegh

We don't need any articals or numbers for common sense

Shoreham

"We don't need any articals or numbers for common sense "

Brighton

I think that is what bothers me most.

I am sure common sense in individuals is slowly disappearing!

#useyourloaf

Brighton

Gonna be slightly contrary here after reading all the messages.

But before I do I will state for the record that I believe:

1. The right to loudly and disruptively protest should be allowed (otherwise what is the point*)

2. But criminal damage to property etc is exactly that, criminal!

3. Violence is a criminal act so perpetrating that against another person is also criminal!

So to be clear I do not support what some of the protestors did in Bristol.

But people saying “look see, the new police powers in that bill (that I probably haven’t actually read) are just what we need!”

No they are not. They are going too far and using Covid as an excuse to remove yet more of our democratic rights. It is classic authoritarian regime playbook. You use a “national emergency” to push through legislation that remove democratic freedoms one piece at a time.

There are significant historical precedents (although daring to mention them seems to animate some people).

And as I said above - while there will undoubtedly be a bunch of oiks just looking for any excuse to have a pop at the Police and cause some damage, there are also more recent historical precedents around our own government using Agent Provocateurs to stir up trouble and play straight into the hands of the Daily Mail readers who will start vocally supporting the “need for more police powers”. Thatchers government did exactly that when dealing with the Miners.

Brighton

Hit them hard give the police all the more power and resources to control these idiots

#useyourloaf

By *risrugbyfanMan  over a year ago

yate

According to the Bristol post 7 arrests were made over night .

Not sure if for just rioting or assaults on officers .

Brighton

Oops forgot the *

A million people peacefully marched against the Iraq War and achieved absolutely nothing.

Peaceful protest doesn’t work. Violent protest is senseless and doesn’t work.

Disruptive protesting does. Chaining yourself to railings or laying down in front of cars, horses etc does. This bill criminalises that removing any chance of affecting change.

Tin town

"There is so much irony in a protest against the bill to prevent disruptive protesting becoming disruptive and violent!

Agent Provocateur (no not the lingerie)

Absolutely.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if undercover "agitators" (clandestine operators) were present to stir-up / conduct certain acts in order to drive the protest to the desired outcome.

If I ran an authoritarian/right-wing government in some highly dystopian future, it's exactly what I would do in order to ram home a Bill in my government.

(I'm not by the way authoritarian, quite the reverse in fact). Just pointing out that for some, the ends justify the means.

"

This brings to mind a line from blackadder

"Melchett: What, spy on our own spy as he searches for their spy?"

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Gonna be slightly contrary here after reading all the messages.

1. The right to loudly and disruptively protest should be allowed (otherwise what is the point*)

3. Violence is a criminal act so perpetrating that against another person is also criminal!

But people saying “look see, the new police powers in that bill (that I probably haven’t actually read) are just what we need!”

No they are not. They are going too far and using Covid as an excuse to remove yet more of our democratic rights. It is classic authoritarian regime playbook. You use a “national emergency” to push through legislation that remove democratic freedoms one piece at a time.

There are significant historical precedents (although daring to mention them seems to animate some people).

And as I said above - while there will undoubtedly be a bunch of oiks just looking for any excuse to have a pop at the Police and cause some damage, there are also more recent historical precedents around our own government using Agent Provocateurs to stir up trouble and play straight into the hands of the Daily Mail readers who will start vocally supporting the “need for more police powers”. Thatchers government did exactly that when dealing with the Miners. "

By *osieburnsTV/TS  over a year ago

DIDCOT

Exactly this. Just groups of thugs."

I go to football every week with my grandchildren before the covid crisis, so tell me football fans are all groups of thugs ?

Tin town

"If you ask me, this is what happens when you remove civil rights. What’s the point in protesting peacefully now if there’s a chance you could do a 10 year stretch/£10k fine for it? The biggest underestimation this dystopian government have had is that people will just be silent if they are intimidated into it. If they can’t make themselves heard one way, they’ll do the other. And here we are

If there is a genuine grievance, stand up, represent your community and be elected and follow the democratic process. But please don't go and smash things up and think you're representing me or mine.

To be clear I’m not saying I support wrecking the town, I mean what do the govt expect. The whole purpose of protest is because the system has failed in representing those protesting, and it needs to be disruptive because that’s the point, people aren’t listening. Like those extinction rebellion lot - they were dismissed as hippies until they stopped Londoners from getting to work, all of a sudden there’s reports on the news about who they are and their message. Except they’d be violently removed now and thrown in prison. So my point is, did anyone expect anything else? If point A is too soft and isn’t working and the govt have just criminalised point B, may as well just go from A to C"

"did anyone expect anything else?"... Err that's an easy one.. Yes I expected people to follow the laws. Even the examples you've given stopping workers getting work. What we're they protesting and what change has come as a result of that protest? They got in the news? So what? As I said.. Its about self gratification and social media clicks... There's a process to use to make change. Changes are slow. The issue is some people want to short cut the process. Now that is not democratic in the slightest... Its minorities causing trouble for the majority. And in most cases its simply trouble makers making trouble and enjoying their moment in the news... Followed by suing the police for brutality.

Tin town

"We don't need any articals or numbers for common sense

"

Yeah.... Sadly we do... How else are lawyers going to make money out of them being breached.?

Tin town

"Oops forgot the *

A million people peacefully marched against the Iraq War and achieved absolutely nothing.

Peaceful protest doesn’t work. Violent protest is senseless and doesn’t work.

Disruptive protesting does. Chaining yourself to railings or laying down in front of cars, horses etc does. This bill criminalises that removing any chance of affecting change.

"

Stop making sense as David Byrne once wrote.

Is there not one legitimate way to force it to be debated in the house? Which is to start a petition. And receive more than 100k signatures? Has this route been attempted?

If a organised protest is ruled illegal then I would let the police run riot. In other countries you would be met with guns, water cannon, sjambok, baton charges, tear gas and would get hurt.

You have no claim of compensation because you shouldn't have been there in the first.

I witnessed first hand how police in other countries dealt with people and often they were beaten up before they were questioned at the station.

People don't realise how lucky they are here.

in Lancashire

"Gonna be slightly contrary here after reading all the messages.

And as I said above - while there will undoubtedly be a bunch of oiks just looking for any excuse to have a pop at the Police and cause some damage, there are also more recent historical precedents around our own government using Agent Provocateurs to stir up trouble and play straight into the hands of the Daily Mail readers who will start vocally supporting the “need for more police powers”. Thatchers government did exactly that when dealing with the Miners. "

Agree..

If there is a genuine grievance, stand up, represent your community and be elected and follow the democratic process. But please don't go and smash things up and think you're representing me or mine. "

I agree with you 1000% here. Protesting has become absolute theatre these days. It’s fucking embarrassing. The costumes, the chants, the goading of police whilst filming with their phones.

Make a change by getting into local politics!

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No. They don't.

"

I think people are confusing is and ought.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

To those protestors claiming to stand up for the rights of the people.

You don't talk for me,I never asked you to go and protest on my behalf so don't assume that the majority want you too.

You know the funny thing is people who shout the loudest about are usually the first ones to shout others down when they speak up!!

Brighton

To be clear I’m not saying I support wrecking the town, I mean what do the govt expect. The whole purpose of protest is because the system has failed in representing those protesting, and it needs to be disruptive because that’s the point, people aren’t listening. Like those extinction rebellion lot - they were dismissed as hippies until they stopped Londoners from getting to work, all of a sudden there’s reports on the news about who they are and their message. Except they’d be violently removed now and thrown in prison. So my point is, did anyone expect anything else? If point A is too soft and isn’t working and the govt have just criminalised point B, may as well just go from A to C

"did anyone expect anything else?"... Err that's an easy one.. Yes I expected people to follow the laws. Even the examples you've given stopping workers getting work. What we're they protesting and what change has come as a result of that protest? They got in the news? So what? As I said.. Its about self gratification and social media clicks... There's a process to use to make change. Changes are slow. The issue is some people want to short cut the process. Now that is not democratic in the slightest... Its minorities causing trouble for the majority. And in most cases its simply trouble makers making trouble and enjoying their moment in the news... Followed by suing the police for brutality. "

You say “There's a process to use to make change. Changes are slow.” and I cannot really agree with the sentiment there (factually yes).

The suffragettes didn’t follow process. They protested (and died) to affect change. the establishment have one priority, to retain power. If voices are muted (which they now will be) then with less “volume” the powers that be become emboldened and will push yet more legislation to restrict people.

This current Government have shown time and again that THEY do not respect due process and that they will subvert it to their own gain.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"Unfortunately in the UK we are not allowed to use water cannons which is a pity 3 new ones were bought but had to be scrapped due to the UK being to soft and unlawful to use them how soft we are

Oh no !! We are too soft , we used them in N Ireland to great affect against other unwashed types...."

Sorry?

Who are these ' unwashed types' you refer to?

To my knowledge no one has used water Canon on ' unwashed types' in NI..

Now if you mean the people in general who were protesting about the British army being there screwing everything up and ruining lives for the ordinary people in the 70s ? That's different I'm sure a lot of them were very clean and tidy though! Had respectable jobs and wore suits even!

You should maybe not make generalisations about a country and its people?

No. They don't.

Article 10 if the Human Rights Act 1998- Freedom of Expression."

couple, us we him her.

"did anyone expect anything else?"... Err that's an easy one.. Yes I expected people to follow the laws. Even the examples you've given stopping workers getting work. What we're they protesting and what change has come as a result of that protest? They got in the news? So what? As I said.. Its about self gratification and social media clicks... There's a process to use to make change. Changes are slow. The issue is some people want to short cut the process. Now that is not democratic in the slightest... Its minorities causing trouble for the majority. And in most cases its simply trouble makers making trouble and enjoying their moment in the news... Followed by suing the police for brutality.

You say “There's a process to use to make change. Changes are slow.” and I cannot really agree with the sentiment there (factually yes).

The suffragettes didn’t follow process. They protested (and died) to affect change. the establishment have one priority, to retain power. If voices are muted (which they now will be) then with less “volume” the powers that be become emboldened and will push yet more legislation to restrict people.

This current Government have shown time and again that THEY do not respect due process and that they will subvert it to their own gain."

There's a difference between protesting and anarchy.

Are you suggesting that the people should run the country not elected leaders?

What's the point of a democratic process if every time the government try and do something everyone cries fowl and throws their toys out of the pram.

All those complaining has a very easy choice, next election don't vote Tory.

Do you honestly think that labour could have coped better under the current circumstances?

Brighton

@Jools you should read my other posts for context as already made clear what I do and do not support.

Ironically back at the time Suffragettes were considered anarchists for daring to demand women have the right to vote!

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Mains stream press reporting police cars on fire in Bristol. Police station attacked and Police officers suffer broken bones. (Sky News) "
Why say main stream press?It happened and the bastards that did this must be hunted down and treated as terrorists.

couple, us we him her.

"@Jools you should read my other posts for context as already made clear what I do and do not support.

Ironically back at the time Suffragettes were considered anarchists for daring to demand women have the right to vote!"

I realise this but I think that equality and the suffragettes movement was a far bigger and more relevant issue.

All I can see at the moment is march after march usually ending in chaos and anarchy.

Clearly this isn't working and a better more peaceful solution needs to be found.

I'm not saying that all the issues being marched about at the moment aren't relevant and important,in fact some are as important now as ever they have been.

But anti lockdown marching at a time of a worldwide crisis is absurd.

upton wirral

"@Jools you should read my other posts for context as already made clear what I do and do not support.

Ironically back at the time Suffragettes were considered anarchists for daring to demand women have the right to vote!"

how can you compare this rabble to the suffrojets?

upton wirral

No. They don't.

Article 10 if the Human Rights Act 1998- Freedom of Expression.

"

Is free speech burning and injuring people?I think not

Tin town

It's interesting as I absolutely disagree with the protests / riots / social events that we've seen over the last years... Maybe it's my age or the fact I just don't believe in the matters being protested... Or have enough knowledge of them..

And for me I switch off immediately once the inevitable lawlessness, vandalism and victims start popping up on news threads. For me It completely invalidates any legitimacy they are trying to achieve.

I also feel strongly that we have slid into a world where we are minority led... Vocal minorities have far too much influence over the majority and that is not democratic at all.

I also think it seems most protests end up being taken over by rent a riot who just seem to gathering for a punch up with the police and tagging buildings.

Having said that I'm very appreciative of others who care enough and who mobilise and put efforts into holding the governments or authorities or companies. Something that the opposition and the judiciary and the 2nd House should be doing to greater effect and in all cases they seem to have been neutered or fail to exercise their obligations.

More than anything the last year has demonstrated to me that there is a lack of appetite (or perhaps ability) to enforce any of the laws fairly and equitably or at all in some cases.

Populism and ubiquitous media feeds quenching our thirst for useless knowledge is leading us into a corner I fear.

Tin town

Ironically back at the time Suffragettes were considered anarchists for daring to demand women have the right to vote!

It's interesting as I absolutely disagree with the protests / riots / social events that we've seen over the last years... Maybe it's my age or the fact I just don't believe in the matters being protested... Or have enough knowledge of them..

And for me I switch off immediately once the inevitable lawlessness, vandalism and victims start popping up on news threads. For me It completely invalidates any legitimacy they are trying to achieve.

I also feel strongly that we have slid into a world where we are minority led... Vocal minorities have far too much influence over the majority and that is not democratic at all.

I also think it seems most protests end up being taken over by rent a riot who just seem to gathering for a punch up with the police and tagging buildings.

Having said that I'm very appreciative of others who care enough and who mobilise and put efforts into holding the governments or authorities or companies. Something that the opposition and the judiciary and the 2nd House should be doing to greater effect and in all cases they seem to have been neutered or fail to exercise their obligations.

More than anything the last year has demonstrated to me that there is a lack of appetite (or perhaps ability) to enforce any of the laws fairly and equitably or at all in some cases.

Populism and ubiquitous media feeds quenching our thirst for useless knowledge is leading us into a corner I fear. "

Oops missed a word....

"holding the governments or authorities or companies. *TO ACCOUNT"

Manchester (she/her)

Ironically back at the time Suffragettes were considered anarchists for daring to demand women have the right to vote!how can you compare this rabble to the suffrojets?"

I'm sure the suffragettes were viewed as a rabble at the time. Uppity women not knowing their place.

Brighton

Ironically back at the time Suffragettes were considered anarchists for daring to demand women have the right to vote!how can you compare this rabble to the suffrojets?"

If you read my other posts you will understand as that is taking it out of context.

Tin town

Ironically back at the time Suffragettes were considered anarchists for daring to demand women have the right to vote!how can you compare this rabble to the suffrojets?

I'm sure the suffragettes were viewed as a rabble at the time. Uppity women not knowing their place."

That is one of those words I can't say without hearing Lord flasheart....

Brighton

Populism and ubiquitous media feeds quenching our thirst for useless knowledge is leading us into a corner I fear. "

Agree with you. Especially...

“And for me I switch off immediately once the inevitable lawlessness, vandalism and victims start popping up on news threads. For me It completely invalidates any legitimacy they are trying to achieve.”

Which I believe also supports my assertion that...

1. There are yobbos/oiks/idiots who just want a fight. Hit them with full weight of the law.

2. There are very VERY likely to also be Agent Provocateurs planted to push forward exactly that kind of activity to drive forward the agenda. It works, every time!

3. There are decent people who feel passionately that things are heading in the wrong direction but for the most part feel impotent to affect change and it will now only get worse!

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

The worrying thing is I can see this happening all over the country these mindless thugs all jump on the same bandwagon the police need to be tougher perhaps even deploy the army to work alongside the police

Brighton

I realise this but I think that equality and the suffragettes movement was a far bigger and more relevant issue.

All I can see at the moment is march after march usually ending in chaos and anarchy.

Clearly this isn't working and a better more peaceful solution needs to be found.

I'm not saying that all the issues being marched about at the moment aren't relevant and important,in fact some are as important now as ever they have been.

But anti lockdown marching at a time of a worldwide crisis is absurd."

The activities over the weekend were appalling. The context of Covid does play into this BUT it is being used as a catalyst to remove our democratic rights. We are on a very dangerous slippery slope. In and of themselves the various legislative changes over the last year or so would appear minor or even innocuous. But it is the combination, the whole picture that truly matters.

As I have said, I do not support violent protest or criminal damage. However, this was NOTHING in comparison to the late 70s/80s and the miners strikes. The UK gov didn’t try to pass such a draconian set of legislation back then!

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

Interesting insight..., how about:

Suffragette Movement

Anti Racism

Gay Rights

I don’t agree with violent protest. But I do agree with protest. Our society will not change without people shouting for it & sadly in some cases losing their lives for it (Emily Davison, Blair Peach).

Women would not have got the vote without protest as the vested interests didn’t want them franchised.

I may not like right wing fascists, but I accept they can protest. I just want it to be peaceful.

In terms of the Pritti Law, it isn’t even needed as the Police have all the powers they need. Applying them has been the problem. Removing freedom’s in such an undemocratic manner - whilst under lockdown is very dystopian.

Manchester (she/her)

I can vaguely claim to be an historian. Violence and shocking the populace is a common theme among successful social changes, it seems to me. I don't know where the line is, and I'm not currently participating because pandemic.

I agree that we live in a dangerous time given the laws being put through, and the distraction of the different Covid laws.

I don't know what to do. And I don't think violence is always or even usually the answer. But most of the big social changes have come about with civil disobedience and violence.

By *eoeclipseWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

The activities over the weekend were appalling. The context of Covid does play into this BUT it is being used as a catalyst to remove our democratic rights. We are on a very dangerous slippery slope. In and of themselves the various legislative changes over the last year or so would appear minor or even innocuous. But it is the combination, the whole picture that truly matters.

As I have said, I do not support violent protest or criminal damage. However, this was NOTHING in comparison to the late 70s/80s and the miners strikes. The UK gov didn’t try to pass such a draconian set of legislation back then!"

Totally! This is about to get so much worse too.

I do wish people didnt destroy property however, black protests of 60's, surregettes and many other protests that were about rights we have now and often take for granted all involved destruction, most often of the establishment (which we all pay for).

People have now had the experience of being treated like a prisoner on house arrest despite not committing a crime, we now really understand how important these rights are for day to living and to choose a lifestyle.

(Yes of course don't harm/be an arse that's obvious)

Its scary biscuits & Scotland has yet to react to the quake....that is coming too.

Brighton

So I can lay some claim to a level of historical knowledge, although my degree was longer ago than I would like.

I AM going to make reference to the Nazis. I know some people hate it when they are mentioned and will try to say it is too extreme or far fetched. However, I do not agree.

This is a quote from Adolf Hitler in Mein Kampf...

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

couple, us we him her.

As I have said, I do not support violent protest or criminal damage. However, this was NOTHING in comparison to the late 70s/80s and the miners strikes. The UK gov didn’t try to pass such a draconian set of legislation back then!

Totally! This is about to get so much worse too.

I do wish people didnt destroy property however, black protests of 60's, surregettes and many other protests that were about rights we have now and often take for granted all involved destruction, most often of the establishment (which we all pay for).

People have now had the experience of being treated like a prisoner on house arrest despite not committing a crime, we now really understand how important these rights are for day to living and to choose a lifestyle.

(Yes of course don't harm/be an arse that's obvious)

Its scary biscuits & Scotland has yet to react to the quake....that is coming too. "

Oh please ,house arrest!!

Have you totally missed the point of lockdown?

And do people really think that bojo and his cohorts are sitting in a room planning on keeping us locked in our house's with martial law enforcement?

Really I do think what has happened people are jumping on a bandwagon, all these people claiming various conspiracy theories for the first part of lockdown, suddenly jumped on the anti vaccine bandwagon now all howling about our civil liberties being stopped.

So come on once lockdown is over barring a few sensible and necessary precautions required regards spreading covid what exactly have we had taken away??

Come on really what?

Coz as far as I have seen a vast amount of people have carried on doing what ever they wanted during lockdown with little to no enforcement of the law.

Once the magical June 21th hits I guarantee that it's going to be fucking crazy, people having parties and holidays etc..

And God forbid if anyone complains about the noise and anti social behaviour they are committing they will all shout that we are taking away their civil liberties to party and do what the fuck they Like.

We have all been struggling and had to for the majority adhered to the lockdown law's.

But as stated by a previous poster the country seems to be taken over by a vocal aggressive mob who give not a fuck about anything other than them wanting to do whatever they want.

Don't believe me, wait and see.

Remember the London riots a few years ago?

Started off as one thing ended up with mob rule .

Are we really so spoilt now that we are unwilling to put aside our own petty and selfish needs for a period of time To benefit the greater good?

Remember the numerous posts on here from people unwilling to follow restrictions saying that we should carry on as normal and let the old and vulnerable die?

House arrest.

Pffft grow up.

couple, us we him her.

"So I can lay some claim to a level of historical knowledge, although my degree was longer ago than I would like.

I AM going to make reference to the Nazis. I know some people hate it when they are mentioned and will try to say it is too extreme or far fetched. However, I do not agree.

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”"

Are you actually comparing the Tory government to the Nazi party?

Your missing one vital point.

The Tories where voted in and can be voted out!

Brighton

"So I can lay some claim to a level of historical knowledge, although my degree was longer ago than I would like.

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

The Tories where voted in and can be voted out!"

The Nazis were voted in as well - you know that right?

Everyone jumps to the 1940s when they think about Nazis but they didn’t start out as extreme. Look at early 1930s Nazis. Some of their policies sounded very sensible. So sensible in fact that the UK and USA initially saw them as a bulwark against the Communist USSR.

This current lot are almost unrecognisable as Tories! They are way more right wing than Thatcher or Major.

Manchester (she/her)

The Tories where voted in and can be voted out!"

I feel the comparison to the Nazis is inflammatory but not entirely invalid.

I worded a similar sentiment differently:

"I can vaguely claim to be an historian. Violence and shocking the populace is a common theme among successful social changes, it seems to me. I don't know where the line is, and I'm not currently participating because pandemic.

I agree that we live in a dangerous time given the laws being put through, and the distraction of the different Covid laws.

I don't know what to do. And I don't think violence is always or even usually the answer. But most of the big social changes have come about with civil disobedience and violence"

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"To those protestors claiming to stand up for the rights of the people.

You don't talk for me,I never asked you to go and protest on my behalf so don't assume that the majority want you too.

You know the funny thing is people who shout the loudest about are usually the first ones to shout others down when they speak up!!"

Indeed!

Freedom of speech for me and my views. Defund and cancel everyone else types.

Brighton

"I can vaguely claim to be an historian. Violence and shocking the populace is a common theme among successful social changes, it seems to me. I don't know where the line is, and I'm not currently participating because pandemic.

I don't know what to do. And I don't think violence is always or even usually the answer. But most of the big social changes have come about with civil disobedience and violence""

I simply don’t subscribe to the notion that mentioning the Nazis is inflammatory. Ignoring the lessons from history is one of the most dangerous things any society can do. Also as I say above most people immediately jump to 1940s Nazis and assume they started that way. You need to look at early 1930s Nazis for the warning signs.

The German education system very proactively teaches about the Nazis for that very reason.

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

I don't know what to do. And I don't think violence is always or even usually the answer. But most of the big social changes have come about with civil disobedience and violence"

I simply don’t subscribe to the notion that mentioning the Nazis is inflammatory. Ignoring the lessons from history is one of the most dangerous things any society can do. Also as I say above most people immediately jump to 1940s Nazis and assume they started that way. You need to look at early 1930s Nazis for the warning signs.

The German education system very proactively teaches about the Nazis for that very reason. "

As soon as you mention nazis, people jump on your back for all the wrong reasons !

I’m all for protests, if peaceful ones don’t work it’s simple. You have to take things one step further.

Manchester (she/her)

The German education system very proactively teaches about the Nazis for that very reason. "

I think we can make the same argument without jumping to extremes.

The risk of extremes is people will say "well, the Tories aren't engaging in industrial genocide, so you're being hysterical".

I agree with you in the main, but I think leaping to Nazis is counterproductive in this case.

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

You expect any better when Bojo the court jester is at the helm of the sinking ship SsUk?

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

Although agree on protesting against the "New Bill" now is not the time as they are just playing in to their hands and no doubt the mass media will do their collective bit ?? and sadly it's so depressing that the writing someone found on one of the camps ..1st they came for ...and i didn't speak out ...but scary days in the UK and they basically have a mandate/majority to do whatever they want ?/ and a very compliant press/media to help them do it

By *atelotmanMan  over a year ago

Chatham

"To those protestors claiming to stand up for the rights of the people.

You know the funny thing is people who shout the loudest about are usually the first ones to shout others down when they speak up!!"

plymouth

And be amusing to watch as the wall's come tumbling down and people suddenly wake up and realise that the "Them " they were so happily hating and encouraged to hate and despise and blame are suddenly "Them" and they go to ...protest at their unfair treatment at the systems hands the very one they all voted for as it couldn't possibly happen to "Them" .....

North Yorkshire

"Unfortunately in the UK we are not allowed to use water cannons which is a pity 3 new ones were bought but had to be scrapped due to the UK being to soft and unlawful to use them how soft we are

Oh no !! We are too soft , we used them in N Ireland to great affect against other unwashed types....

Sorry?

Who are these ' unwashed types' you refer to?

To my knowledge no one has used water Canon on ' unwashed types' in NI..

Now if you mean the people in general who were protesting about the British army being there screwing everything up and ruining lives for the ordinary people in the 70s ? That's different I'm sure a lot of them were very clean and tidy though! Had respectable jobs and wore suits even!

You should maybe not make generalisations about a country and its people? "

This is just the start of the protests coming

We need a worldwide fight back against the corrupted globalists take over.

Brighton

The German education system very proactively teaches about the Nazis for that very reason.

The risk of extremes is people will say "well, the Tories aren't engaging in industrial genocide, so you're being hysterical".

I agree with you in the main, but I think leaping to Nazis is counterproductive in this case."

We will have to agree to disagree on that. Not talking about pertinent historical precedents is akin to censorship. The Nazis are the archetypal fascist example that we should never forget. They provide the most extreme warning from history.

Again I will reiterate that you need to look at early 1930s Nazis not jump to 1940s.

By *ay.WiltsMan  over a year ago

traveling

I agree with you in the main, but I think leaping to Nazis is counterproductive in this case.

We will have to agree to disagree on that. Not talking about pertinent historical precedents is akin to censorship. The Nazis are the archetypal fascist example that we should never forget. They provide the most extreme warning from history.

Again I will reiterate that you need to look at early 1930s Nazis not jump to 1940s. "

Oh my god, I wasn't aware that we had a leader that could just hand over the reigns of power to a bunch of thugs. The bill is Draconian, the rioters are idiots, we have a democracy and courts to deals with thes things. If you feel strongly use the right to peaceful protest and the ballot box.

North Yorkshire

"This is just the start of the protests coming

We need a worldwide fight back against the corrupted globalists take over. "

Anyone in doubt about the weekend tribulations should Google

Agenda 21

Brighton

I am sure people realise rioting and violence is already illegal? Policing Bill makes no difference to that. It just makes peaceful protest illegal (by including such wide ranging interpretive terminology as “causing annoyance”). Arguably, by increasing restrictions on legitimate protests you're liable to see an increase in what happened in Bristol (not saying I agree but I suspect it will happen).

Brighton

Also back on my Agent Provocateur point - bit strange timing how just one week after the Met came under fire for heavy handed approach to the Sarah Everard vigil we end up with what happened in Bristol. Just saying!

By *kyblue1878Couple  over a year ago

Southport

We have always had freedom and a right to protest and it has generally been respected and policed with minimal numbers and without incident. That is because it was a peaceful protest that so many make reference to.

What we have witnessed more recently are more sinister forces at work that are hell bent on destroying our society. Ask Sarah Everard's parents what they thought of the peaceful vigil that was hijacked by the usual suspects. You can virtually guarantee that every future protest will be sabotaged by the anarchists and anti capitalists who turn out in force to provoke the police and cause maximum mayhem with camera's thrust in everyone's faces.

It defies belief that some

people on here think that the police enjoy this or control what happens. Put yourself in the shoes of the poor front line officer (male or female) and be spat at have hate and vitriol shouted at you for over 8 hours, have rocks thrown at you, poles strike you and be ordered to stay put and not react. Imagine being the officer's in the van last night with someone trying to start a fire beneath the fuel tank of the van.

The way society is going is desperately worrying. We worry for our children growing up alongside so many lawless, selfish, despicable people.

By *ay.WiltsMan  over a year ago

traveling

"I am sure people realise rioting and violence is already illegal? Policing Bill makes no difference to that. It just makes peaceful protest illegal (by including such wide ranging interpretive terminology as “causing annoyance”). Arguably, by increasing restrictions on legitimate protests you're liable to see an increase in what happened in Bristol (not saying I agree but I suspect it will happen)."

The legislation is a big stick to prevent the issues with permanent protest sites in big cities, like the climate change ones. You still have the right to peaceful protest as long as you pack up and go home afterwards. Criminal damage is criminal damage regardless.

Tin town

"I am sure people realise rioting and violence is already illegal? Policing Bill makes no difference to that. It just makes peaceful protest illegal (by including such wide ranging interpretive terminology as “causing annoyance”). Arguably, by increasing restrictions on legitimate protests you're liable to see an increase in what happened in Bristol (not saying I agree but I suspect it will happen)."

Especially on Bank Holiday weekends when the sun is shining and they have no live sports / gigs/festivals they can attend.

#lookatmeimontelly

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"This is just the start of the protests coming

We need a worldwide fight back against the corrupted globalists take over.

Anyone in doubt about the weekend tribulations should Google

Agenda 21"

And there it is!

By *rad670Man  over a year ago

South Lakes

[Removed by poster at 22/03/21 15:29:42]

By *rad670Man  over a year ago

South Lakes

Disgusting and we are on a downward spiral of lawlessnes. Unfortunately there are groups of leftist anarchists who wil hijack andturn any intentionally peaceful protest for their own reasons. It is so annoying to se that during the BLM protests police were having to submit and take the knee to the protesters in a submissive act to avoid being set upon I guess. Unless something powerful is introduced to deter such gatherings we will continue to see this on the streets. Shame for the genuine protestors who have valid reasons to protest and would do so lawfully without the anarchist, it's not helping one bit.

plymouth

Man the ...quick here comes ...how quickly our generation forgets and take for granted the right and freedoms we've enjoyed for decades ...how they were won and by whom and what they were called when doing so ..but quick man the...here they come ..all that is missing is ..it will be the downfall of the empire ...Anarchy!!! lock them up !! they should respect the law !! and quite funny reading all this on a site like this as not that long ago it was against the law to teach about "Alternative " sexuality in schools as it might encourage them to ..?? and only in the 60's was it made legal to do what some of you are doing or want to do to others ?? history is a bitch and we have the same lot in power who opposed every single step ....

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

people on here think that the police enjoy this or control what happens. Put yourself in the shoes of the poor front line officer (male or female) and be spat at have hate and vitriol shouted at you for over 8 hours, have rocks thrown at you, poles strike you and be ordered to stay put and not react. Imagine being the officer's in the van last night with someone trying to start a fire beneath the fuel tank of the van.

Yep been there, done that. Public order and riot control is part of the job and they would have been naive to think it’d never involve them.

By *m A FuckerMan  over a year ago

kingswood,surrey/leysdown kent

when the hot weather comes it will be carnage!!!

Brighton

"I am sure people realise rioting and violence is already illegal? Policing Bill makes no difference to that. It just makes peaceful protest illegal (by including such wide ranging interpretive terminology as “causing annoyance”). Arguably, by increasing restrictions on legitimate protests you're liable to see an increase in what happened in Bristol (not saying I agree but I suspect it will happen).

Especially on Bank Holiday weekends when the sun is shining and they have no live sports / gigs/festivals they can attend.

#lookatmeimontelly"

Well there certainly seems like there is that for some!

From what i gather, the peaceful protestors being hijacked by trouble makers who just want trouble

Tin town

" Man the ...quick here comes ...how quickly our generation forgets and take for granted the right and freedoms we've enjoyed for decades ...how they were won and by whom and what they were called when doing so ..but quick man the...here they come ..all that is missing is ..it will be the downfall of the empire ...Anarchy!!! lock them up !! they should respect the law !! and quite funny reading all this on a site like this as not that long ago it was against the law to teach about "Alternative " sexuality in schools as it might encourage them to ..?? and only in the 60's was it made legal to do what some of you are doing or want to do to others ?? history is a bitch and we have the same lot in power who opposed every single step .... "

You think today's politics and situation is the same as it was 60 years ago?

Tin town

"people on here think that the police enjoy this or control what happens. Put yourself in the shoes of the poor front line officer (male or female) and be spat at have hate and vitriol shouted at you for over 8 hours, have rocks thrown at you, poles strike you and be ordered to stay put and not react. Imagine being the officer's in the van last night with someone trying to start a fire beneath the fuel tank of the van.

Yep been there, done that. Public order and riot control is part of the job and they would have been naive to think it’d never involve them. "

Thank you for your efforts. It must be thankless

By *irtydevil666Man  over a year ago

bristol

Not a good day for the city

"people on here think that the police enjoy this or control what happens. Put yourself in the shoes of the poor front line officer (male or female) and be spat at have hate and vitriol shouted at you for over 8 hours, have rocks thrown at you, poles strike you and be ordered to stay put and not react. Imagine being the officer's in the van last night with someone trying to start a fire beneath the fuel tank of the van.

Yep been there, done that. Public order and riot control is part of the job and they would have been naive to think it’d never involve them. "

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Doesn’t excuse it or make it fun..

By *anesjhCouple  over a year ago

LONDON.

I agree with you 1000% here. Protesting has become absolute theatre these days. It’s fucking embarrassing. The costumes, the chants, the goading of police whilst filming with their phones.

Make a change by getting into local politics! "

Spot on.

LONDON.

"when the hot weather comes it will be carnage!!!"

Who do you think is going to cause the carnage.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

Yep been there, done that. Public order and riot control is part of the job and they would have been naive to think it’d never involve them.

Thank you for your efforts. It must be thankless"

By *he Ring WraithMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Until the British people are notified that a secret bloodless coup de'tat has taken place the British people will express their disapproval of where this Govt is taking us in the only way open to then and that is by the medium of free speech and protest marches.

They didn't intervene in the black lives matter protests except where criminal activity happened but they happened before the new law came into effect before that it was only guidance. "

There was a BLM protest in lincoln city centre, it was peacful, it was socially distanced (mostly) and was before masks were as prevalent as they are now.

There was no violence and no one even kicked off at all, the police stood and watched and the people who protested did so vocally yet peacfully.

I suppose there is no gain in the trouble makers coming to lincoln to disrupt a peacful protest.

No one wants to remove the right to peacful, legal protest, they just want the right to restrict them 'at the moment' or am i missing something !

glasgow

I agree with you in the main, but I think leaping to Nazis is counterproductive in this case."

for a change i agree with you swing, i often call out the extreme end and folk shoot down too, as they are missing that these start of as small infractions in society and grow (rent a mob has done similar), it all depend who's driving them (Hilter wasn't a big wig to start for instance), neither were mao or stalin, al queda or even ira/uvf. all started small some a citizen run and others have much larger infulences at higher level and what I have seen over the years is an increase with China and Russia influences (in diff sectors) that have been growing since I was much younger, this isn't all new, it has been sneakily going on for decades (didn't used to have 0 hrs or as man s/e folk for instance, robs you of the ability of sick,hol & pen, whilst business cut costs. limits your freedoms/choice to for instance stay off work if sick).

China is loking to be the next super power and with that will come alot of their rules of society, businesses taht are china owned will tread a fine line between the legal and illegal on employment laws and many other area. but to inforce it you first need the media (check) and a police state (trying).

these are areas we do need to llok at very carefully beyond the pandemic and beyond what is now. what will those mean in the future if for instance the police police themselves over things like the Sarah Everand case, never mind peaceful protests.

it is definitely changing times.

on a brighter note...Amsterdam have held a neg covid test 2 day festival, only issue is that all attendees are guinea pigs both socially and infection control wise.

bio data is the best gold out there just now.

By *icboobs26Woman  over a year ago

Bristol

Police are under funded as it is. And now Bristol are at LEAST two vans down plus at least 30 injured officers not to mention the amount that are probably now scared and dreading their jobs. The amount of cost also needed to repair the station and its glass and the repairs to burnt roads and bins. All totally unnecessary costs. I cant see what at all was gained. I hope non of the individuals need police support for themselves or their families at any time.

Also we are in a lock down at the moment so if your "kids" were out last night your parent skills are officially shit!!

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

You don't know how true that is.

LONDON.

"Police are under funded as it is. And now Bristol are at LEAST two vans down plus at least 30 injured officers not to mention the amount that are probably now scared and dreading their jobs. The amount of cost also needed to repair the station and its glass and the repairs to burnt roads and bins. All totally unnecessary costs. I cant see what at all was gained. I hope non of the individuals need police support for themselves or their families at any time.

Also we are in a lock down at the moment so if your "kids" were out last night your parent skills are officially shit!! "

glasgow

"Police are under funded as it is. And now Bristol are at LEAST two vans down plus at least 30 injured officers not to mention the amount that are probably now scared and dreading their jobs. The amount of cost also needed to repair the station and its glass and the repairs to burnt roads and bins. All totally unnecessary costs. I cant see what at all was gained. I hope non of the individuals need police support for themselves or their families at any time.

Also we are in a lock down at the moment so if your "kids" were out last night your parent skills are officially shit!! "

and to that i can confortavly say they did jack all when my car's were damaged including burned out, not the stalking, threats to life nor anything else so I do not sympathize with a system that does not protect when it is required (you can see millions of women's stories around this). as for as people I can, however they chose that job with all its risks and their families (minus kids) also accept that, similar to army or any risky emergency service jobs.

you can't tell a solider not to go into battle, that is their job. death or serious disfigurement is the risk and is accepted as such.

Brighton

Strange isn’t it how people get offended or up in arms when warnings are sounded about similarities to the Nazis. It is do emotive. The key point is that a country synonymous with democracy should not sleepwalk into allowing an increase in totalitarian regime behaviour.

So how about instead of Nazis we talk about Stalin’s regime in USSR? They actually killed more people (inc own citizens) that Hitler’s regime and used many similar tactics. Is that somehow more palatable to some people?

Oh and let’s bit for a moment pretend what happened in the World b/w 20s-40s couldn’t happen again:

Bosnia and Kosovo just 25 yrs back. How about the Uighur in China right now?

Civil and democratic rights we all take for granted have been hard fought for and won over hundreds of years. We should not just let them being flitted away.

And those saying “get into local politics to change system” seriously? Do you really believe that will affect change?

And those saying elect them out - well yes but not for a good few years yet. Johnson wants to repeal the fixed term parliament act meaning he can call an election when he chooses. In meantime he can exploit his 80 seat majority to do pretty much anything he wants!

Brighton

* grrr typos damn you tiny iphone keyboard

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

This current Government have shown time and again that THEY do not respect due process and that they will subvert it to their own gain.

There's a difference between protesting and anarchy.

Are you suggesting that the people should run the country not elected leaders?

What's the point of a democratic process if every time the government try and do something everyone cries fowl and throws their toys out of the pram.

All those complaining has a very easy choice, next election don't vote Tory.

Do you honestly think that labour could have coped better under the current circumstances?"

The irony there is conservatism is about small government, minimal intervention, maximum freedoms, labour socialism is about the exact opposite!!

"When I was on duty abroad protecting British interests we had to stand in front of violent protesters and not let them break through.

During one such event the angry mob made its way to the front armed with bats and started pushing.

Well said

Our police are hamstrung by the stupidity of our government and all the other folks that think any form of force is unacceptable. A few short sharp lessons are all that’s needed to dissuade these criminals but if any of them are so much as breathed on there rights have been infringed and the police are ‘out of control’ etc.

So I turned my rifle and hit a women straight in the face with the butt. Didn't care who it was she was just in range.

Suddenly the mob backed off because they now knew that we were not going to stand for their behaviour

I'm all for peaceful protest but during a pandemic when we all want to get back to normal asap?

"

Also we are in a lock down at the moment so if your "kids" were out last night your parent skills are officially shit!!

and to that i can confortavly say they did jack all when my car's were damaged including burned out, not the stalking, threats to life nor anything else so I do not sympathize with a system that does not protect when it is required (you can see millions of women's stories around this). as for as people I can, however they chose that job with all its risks and their families (minus kids) also accept that, similar to army or any risky emergency service jobs.

you can't tell a solider not to go into battle, that is their job. death or serious disfigurement is the risk and is accepted as such. "

I’m not sure what point you’re making here? In one breath you make out the police deserve to be run ragged and injured because you didn’t get the level of service you wanted....then say you empathise with the cops as people, then go back to saying ‘they chose this career’. Confusing post, but it reads like so many other posts I see on social media regarding the police - a negative interaction with one particular force means all 43 forces get painted in the same colours. I used to live in Leeds when I moved east, before that, Liverpool. Now I live in Skipton. Geographically less than 100 miles apart. And the difference in the police forces are palpable.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Disgusting and we are on a downward spiral of lawlessnes. Unfortunately there are groups of leftist anarchists who wil hijack andturn any intentionally peaceful protest for their own reasons. It is so annoying to se that during the BLM protests police were having to submit and take the knee to the protesters in a submissive act to avoid being set upon I guess. Unless something powerful is introduced to deter such gatherings we will continue to see this on the streets. Shame for the genuine protestors who have valid reasons to protest and would do so lawfully without the anarchist, it's not helping one bit."

What is a leftist anarchist out of curiosity?

Is it like a liberal revolutionary?

couple, us we him her.

"Disgusting and we are on a downward spiral of lawlessnes. Unfortunately there are groups of leftist anarchists who wil hijack andturn any intentionally peaceful protest for their own reasons. It is so annoying to se that during the BLM protests police were having to submit and take the knee to the protesters in a submissive act to avoid being set upon I guess. Unless something powerful is introduced to deter such gatherings we will continue to see this on the streets. Shame for the genuine protestors who have valid reasons to protest and would do so lawfully without the anarchist, it's not helping one bit.

Is it like a liberal revolutionary?"

Similar to a militant pacifist!

liverpool

"Disgusting and we are on a downward spiral of lawlessnes. Unfortunately there are groups of leftist anarchists who wil hijack andturn any intentionally peaceful protest for their own reasons. It is so annoying to se that during the BLM protests police were having to submit and take the knee to the protesters in a submissive act to avoid being set upon I guess. Unless something powerful is introduced to deter such gatherings we will continue to see this on the streets. Shame for the genuine protestors who have valid reasons to protest and would do so lawfully without the anarchist, it's not helping one bit.

Is it like a liberal revolutionary?

Similar to a militant pacifist! "

liverpool

"When I was on duty abroad protecting British interests we had to stand in front of violent protesters and not let them break through.

Well said

Our police are hamstrung by the stupidity of our government and all the other folks that think any form of force is unacceptable. A few short sharp lessons are all that’s needed to dissuade these criminals but if any of them are so much as breathed on there rights have been infringed and the police are ‘out of control’ etc.

"

Cant beat a good old piece of police brutality

By *ithintemptationsCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

Burn baby burn

plymouth

The police have now admitted there was no police with broken bones or a punctured lung !! .just the Press doing it's normal with the help of those who rule and enforce and amazing how soon people forget the "Hillsborough" victims ..

liverpool

" The police have now admitted there was no police with broken bones or a punctured lung !! .just the Press doing it's normal with the help of those who rule and enforce and amazing how soon people forget the "Hillsborough" victims .."

I wonder where the press got the story from?

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

" The police have now admitted there was no police with broken bones or a punctured lung !! .just the Press doing it's normal with the help of those who rule and enforce and amazing how soon people forget the "Hillsborough" victims .."

Here's the story for anyone interested...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bristol-police-broken-bones-kill-bill-protests_uk_605c5d00c5b6531eed021915

I mean if you can't trust the police, who can you trust?

liverpool

" The police have now admitted there was no police with broken bones or a punctured lung !! .just the Press doing it's normal with the help of those who rule and enforce and amazing how soon people forget the "Hillsborough" victims ..

Here's the story for anyone interested...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bristol-police-broken-bones-kill-bill-protests_uk_605c5d00c5b6531eed021915

I mean if you can't trust the police, who can you trust? "

I'm presuming there will be repercussions for telling such bare faced lies to the public?

Reads more like the chief jumped the gun and claimed those injuries before they were confirmed by the hospital.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

How many of the soap dodgers have they caught so far anyone know?

By *icboobs26Woman  over a year ago

Bristol

"How many of the soap dodgers have they caught so far anyone know?"

Not enough of them and doubt they will and ones they do will just get a tap on the wrist no doubt!

There is currently a big local appeal to find one #***#$#$ that put something alight under a police van with a officer inside it.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"How many of the soap dodgers have they caught so far anyone know?

Not enough of them and doubt they will and ones they do will just get a tap on the wrist no doubt!

There is currently a big local appeal to find one #***#$#$ that put something alight under a police van with a officer inside it.

"

& I hope they find who did this and prosecute. Violence should be stopped.

We really do live in a democracy and should be proud of the right to protest and disagree with others. What we should not have to put up with is the ever prevalent minority who use any peaceful protest as an excuse to riot, smash, burn, deface, loot and violate thus destroying the point of the original protest.

Having said that, I truly believe that the behaviour of the police at the Sarah Everard vigil was dumb, dull and completely inappropriate and alienated them from a good number of folk. Two wrongs do not make a right though and I agree with a lot of the good folks on here that gratuitous violence should be met with stronger measures.

Or the injuries appeared like and arm/ribs were broken. Once at hospital... Exam/x ray/scan it was found there were injuries but thankfully, no broken bones... All how you View it I guess.

Tin town

"How many of the soap dodgers have they caught so far anyone know?

"

Could that not be construed as attempted murder? What do they expect will be the outcome of putting something burning under a petrol tank?

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

"

Plus to add being urinated on by one or more of protestors.

liverpool

Plus to add being urinated on by one or more of protestors. "

I'm guessing you have a link for this?

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

I'm guessing you have a link for this?"

Do a search for this. There is a photo .

Tin town

Plus to add being urinated on by one or more of protestors. "

Some people love a bit of water sports on here... Allegedly

I'm guessing you have a link for this?"

There’s a video on UK Cop Humour Lionel

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Sussex

"Strange isn’t it how people get offended or up in arms when warnings are sounded about similarities to the Nazis. It is do emotive. The key point is that a country synonymous with democracy should not sleepwalk into allowing an increase in totalitarian regime behaviour.

So how about instead of Nazis we talk about Stalin’s regime in USSR? They actually killed more people (inc own citizens) that Hitler’s regime and used many similar tactics. Is that somehow more palatable to some people?

Oh and let’s bit for a moment pretend what happened in the World b/w 20s-40s couldn’t happen again:

Civil and democratic rights we all take for granted have been hard fought for and won over hundreds of years. We should not just let them being flitted away.

And those saying “get into local politics to change system” seriously? Do you really believe that will affect change?

And those saying elect them out - well yes but not for a good few years yet. Johnson wants to repeal the fixed term parliament act meaning he can call an election when he chooses. In meantime he can exploit his 80 seat majority to do pretty much anything he wants!"

Its simply not a totalitarian regime though there are no similarities.

Yes the majority voted them in and equally they can be voted out . However they have a majority to enable for very good reason , the majority wanted them in !

Shoreham

[Removed by poster at 26/03/21 05:43:02]

Shoreham

Its the wrong time to protest. Get tough on them. Batons and water cannons would soon clear the unwashed protesters

Tin town

"Its the wrong time to protest. Get tough on them. Batons and water cannons would soon clear the unwashed protesters "

There'll be plenty of opportunity to do that this summer. The better weather is coming, bank holiday weekends.

There’s a video on UK Cop Humour Lionel "

Yep I've seen that video. Of course selective Lionel will doubt its authenticity.

Yep I've seen that video. Of course selective Lionel will doubt its authenticity."

The old ‘well I’ve not seen it so I don’t believe you’ approach

liverpool

Yep I've seen that video. Of course selective Lionel will doubt its authenticity."

Not really..seems like some sort of diry protest and I'm not sure where they are going to wash their hands.

liverpool

Yep I've seen that video. Of course selective Lionel will doubt its authenticity.

The old ‘well I’ve not seen it so I don’t believe you’ approach "

Has anything happened to the policemen who made up false stories yet?

Has anything happened to the policemen who made up false stories yet?"

Which false stories? You on about the chief saying his officers had broken bones before they’d been examined?

Brighton

"Strange isn’t it how people get offended or up in arms when warnings are sounded about similarities to the Nazis. It is do emotive. The key point is that a country synonymous with democracy should not sleepwalk into allowing an increase in totalitarian regime behaviour.

And those saying elect them out - well yes but not for a good few years yet. Johnson wants to repeal the fixed term parliament act meaning he can call an election when he chooses. In meantime he can exploit his 80 seat majority to do pretty much anything he wants!

Its simply not a totalitarian regime though there are no similarities.

Yes the majority voted them in and equally they can be voted out . However they have a majority to enable for very good reason , the majority wanted them in !"

No it isn’t a totalitarian regime but it is starting to exhibit behaviours synonymous with starting down that route. It is the whole picture that matters not each isolated change of legislation. You don’t attempt wholesale change over night, you make incremental changes people barely notice.

A classic approach taken by this govt is to piggyback clauses in across various pieces of legislation. In and of themselves they might seem innocuous but their combination provides a legislative framework to make quite far sweeping changes.

One small example, seemingly unrelated to this thread (but all connected) - the removal of legal aid. Try affording to take big business or govt to court now normal people!

Not saying UK will ever be overtly totalitarian but it is already far more authoritarian than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

As for vote them out - have a look at how flawed a democratic process FPTP is (only other country using that system is Belarus and looked what happened there last year) and also look into the Tory driven boundary changes they want to make and what that means. Also, BJ is trying to overturn the fixed parliament law so he can call an election whenever he wants (ie at a point Govt popularity is highest to guarantee a win).

liverpool

Which false stories? You on about the chief saying his officers had broken bones before they’d been examined? "

Yep

Which false stories? You on about the chief saying his officers had broken bones before they’d been examined?

Yep"

Hardly a ‘false story’ . They had suspected broken bones. The chief wasn’t accurate in his report. Not earth shattering but we all know your thoughts on the 5-0

liverpool

Yep

Hardly a ‘false story’ . They had suspected broken bones. The chief wasn’t accurate in his report. Not earth shattering but we all know your thoughts on the 5-0 "

Wasnt accurate?

They put out a story that was completely false and have not even apologised.

Brighton

So everyone was up in arms (quite rightly at the time) about Police Officers being seriously injured then guess what? Appears it was not true. Thing is the Daily Heil has already run that headline and moved on. The readers have that belief now in their head. Job done - outraged of Tunbridge Wells now supports the police bill because of the yobs being out of control.

Yep

Hardly a ‘false story’ . They had suspected broken bones. The chief wasn’t accurate in his report. Not earth shattering but we all know your thoughts on the 5-0

Wasnt accurate?

"

Did they or did they not have suspected broken bones?? ‘Completely false’ is a real stretch Lionel haha

By *kyblue1878Couple  over a year ago

Southport

"So everyone was up in arms (quite rightly at the time) about Police Officers being seriously injured then guess what? Appears it was not true. Thing is the Daily Heil has already run that headline and moved on. The readers have that belief now in their head. Job done - outraged of Tunbridge Wells now supports the police bill because of the yobs being out of control."

Er, whether the bones were broken or seriously bruised is irrelevant isn't it? Does it make it more acceptable to assault someone when the bone is broken as opposed to bruised? Whatever message was sent out by the police press office at the time was based on a belief that the officer's may have broken bones (we know x-rays won't happen for many hours later to confirm this). Luckily they weren't broken, hopefully they can return to work.

So we return to Mrs outraged from Tunbridge Wells.......

A broken or bruised bone doesn't detract from the fact that the yobs out there that night were actually out of control! A Daily Fail headline isn't required when it was beamed nationally into every living room for everyone to determine that this was the hijack a protest mob causing mayhem and destruction completely out of control.

Finally, to counter your assessment of it all and the argument you are using.... The yob setting a fire beneath the fuel tank of the police van. Does the van have to blow up killing the officer inside before it is legitimate news ?

"So everyone was up in arms (quite rightly at the time) about Police Officers being seriously injured then guess what? Appears it was not true. Thing is the Daily Heil has already run that headline and moved on. The readers have that belief now in their head. Job done - outraged of Tunbridge Wells now supports the police bill because of the yobs being out of control.

Er, whether the bones were broken or seriously bruised is irrelevant isn't it? Does it make it more acceptable to assault someone when the bone is broken as opposed to bruised? Whatever message was sent out by the police press office at the time was based on a belief that the officer's may have broken bones (we know x-rays won't happen for many hours later to confirm this). Luckily they weren't broken, hopefully they can return to work.

A broken or bruised bone doesn't detract from the fact that the yobs out there that night were actually out of control! A Daily Fail headline isn't required when it was beamed nationally into every living room for everyone to determine that this was the hijack a protest mob causing mayhem and destruction completely out of control.

Finally, to counter your assessment of it all and the argument you are using.... The yob setting a fire beneath the fuel tank of the police van. Does the van have to blow up killing the officer inside before it is legitimate news ?"

Spot-on post, thank you.

liverpool

"So everyone was up in arms (quite rightly at the time) about Police Officers being seriously injured then guess what? Appears it was not true. Thing is the Daily Heil has already run that headline and moved on. The readers have that belief now in their head. Job done - outraged of Tunbridge Wells now supports the police bill because of the yobs being out of control.

Finally, to counter your assessment of it all and the argument you are using.... The yob setting a fire beneath the fuel tank of the police van. Does the van have to blow up killing the officer inside before it is legitimate news ?"

The story was false.

It was a lie.

If you are quite happy for the police to trot out lies without apology be my guest

Have they caught the fella who tried to blow up the van?

liverpool

Yep

Wasnt accurate?

Did they or did they not have suspected broken bones?? ‘Completely false’ is a real stretch Lionel haha "

It was a false story..The fact they have got previous in doing this,is hardly a surprise.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Finally, to counter your assessment of it all and the argument you are using.... The yob setting a fire beneath the fuel tank of the police van. Does the van have to blow up killing the officer inside before it is legitimate news ?

The story was false.

It was a lie.

If you are quite happy for the police to trot out lies without apology be my guest

Have they caught the fella who tried to blow up the van?"

So.... are you saying that this story (https://news.sky.com/story/officer-describes-being-in-police-van-as-protester-tried-to-set-it-on-fire-during-bristol-riot-12256892 ) isn't real?

Cal

Yep

Wasnt accurate?

Did they or did they not have suspected broken bones?? ‘Completely false’ is a real stretch Lionel haha

It was a false story..The fact they have got previous in doing this,is hardly a surprise."

Lol, no it wasn’t Lionel. The chief said they’d had broken bones....because they’d gone to hospital with suspected broken bones. At worst, he should’ve waited for confirmation from the hospital. The fact you’ve got such a bee in your bonnet about it has really tickled me

liverpool

The story was false.

It was a lie.

Have they caught the fella who tried to blow up the van?

So.... are you saying that this story (https://news.sky.com/story/officer-describes-being-in-police-van-as-protester-tried-to-set-it-on-fire-during-bristol-riot-12256892 ) isn't real?

Cal"

No..I asked if they have caught him?

Brighton

I should probably have kept quoting or restating everything I have already said before as I forget that people will just focus on one post out of context.

I in no way support what some of the protesters did. I also do not support the policing bill and extension of powers which were not necessary (it is already illegal to riot or cause criminal damage).

My comment was linked to the carefully orchestrated propaganda ensure support for the extension of state powers.

In addition to yobbos, anarchists etc who always turn up to “have a pop” I maintain that there will have been Agent Provocateurs in place to undermine primary purpose of any anti-govt protest (this happened during miners strikes).

Brighton

Note also the timing. One week before the Met came in for serious criticism for their handling of the Sarah Everard vigil. People were questioning the need for the policing bill. One week later we have a riot! People stop questioning the bill.