FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Do you remember the hand shake?

Do you remember the hand shake?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I do, is it just me or does this gesture when greeting someone seems something we did for a long time ago even tho just a year ago? Do you think it will return soon? I hope it will do that

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Bugger that, too germy

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

I hope not, I never liked shaking a persons hand at the best of times... I mean have you seen where people put their hands!

Manchester (she/her)

"I hope not, I never liked shaking a persons hand at the best of times... I mean have you seen where people put their hands! "

They've looked into the percentage of men who wash their hands when they use a public loo.

It is not anywhere near 100%

I like the different types of handshakes, from light to firm ones too

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

The urge to Instantly sanitise is too strong for me to even consider that

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I like the different types of handshakes, from light to firm ones too "

Why? When do you use firm and when do you use light?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

To the handshake question, no it's fine thanks, it isn't something I am longing to do again

"I like the different types of handshakes, from light to firm ones too

Why? When do you use firm and when do you use light?"

In any situation really and as well wondering what the returning handshake from them would be

Forum Mod

O o O oo

You are easily please shag..

Forum Mod

O o O oo

pleased even

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I rarely meet anyone I have to shake hands with.

I think the last person was my gynaecologist, and I knew exactly where his hand had been.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I rarely meet anyone I have to shake hands with.

I think the last person was my gynaecologist, and I knew exactly where his hand had been."

i guess you dont go to catholic church then , peace be with you and all that

interesting thread i hadn’t really thought about missing a handshake because i miss other things so much more, but i guess i also hadn’t considered that they will never return

what about the high five? . A work colleague who I've been elbowing for a year high fived me out of the blue earlier when something at work went well.. it was a welcome release

d

ps the world didn't end

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"I do, is it just me or does this gesture when greeting someone seems something we did for a long time ago even tho just a year ago? Do you think it will return soon? I hope it will do that "

I miss it a great deal.. Old fashioned maybe but I hate not being introduced to someone properly.. These days people expect you to do your own introductions.. Don't like that.

Also in business always shook the hand of a client.. It's a way of feeling that trust and sincerity is there and it stops someone moving away so you can actually look them in the eyes.. Totally a true test of knowing what someone is like.

I have every intention of holding my hand out again when we get back to work and hope that gesture will be reciprocated and a very old tradition honoured!

"You are easily please shag.. "
Yes, you are right there too

"pleased even"
Yes, that too .

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Bugger that, too germy"

Still hugging here.....

"what about the high five? . A work colleague who I've been elbowing for a year high fived me out of the blue earlier when something at work went well.. it was a welcome release

d

ps the world didn't end "

That’s it , there’s going to be a surge.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

"I rarely meet anyone I have to shake hands with.

I think the last person was my gynaecologist, and I knew exactly where his hand had been.

i guess you dont go to catholic church then , peace be with you and all that

"

Nope, only go to a church when I absolutely have to.

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

How have the Masons managed without their secret handshake? Is there a secret elbow bump?

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Oh wow, I remember handshakes. They were shit. They can stay right in the bin.

By *BWarksCouple  over a year ago

warwick

We have new neighbours , they came round to say hello , came straight over and shook hands ..... now if they’d stood back with masks we wouldn’t have got on lol

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"I miss it a great deal.. Old fashioned maybe but I hate not being introduced to someone properly.. These days people expect you to do your own introductions.. Don't like that.

Also in business always shook the hand of a client.. It's a way of feeling that trust and sincerity is there and it stops someone moving away so you can actually look them in the eyes.. Totally a true test of knowing what someone is like.

I have every intention of holding my hand out again when we get back to work and hope that gesture will be reciprocated and a very old tradition honoured! "

I was brought up the same. Used to do handshakes when meeting new clients, and even regular old ones.

However as the years have rolled on, and the traditionalists have dwindled away, replaced with younger blood, I've noticed a step change in the handshake game.

I rarely see it done anymore, even before covid-19 struck. It feels like an empty "token gesture" now. Even I question myself when feeling the urge to do it (hard to shake old habits off).

Eg, am I coming across as too desperate to gain trust ? Can trust really be gained by a handshake anymore ? Trust is earned and demonstrated by many things, a handshake really isn't one of them.

My first thought now, when someone wants to shake my hand (apart from have they washed it!) is "Why does this person feel the need to shake my hand ? Are they trying to gain a psychological advantage ? Which book did they read this from ? Do I respond with a firm and more dominant handshake in return, setting boundaries ? How will that be perceived ?"

I don't have time for that anymore, especially in this climate.

If you want to sell me something, I'll tell you to offer me your best deal. I'll also tell you that I won't haggle you down. You get once chance and then I walk if I don't like it. If they revise the deal down further, I explain that if they cannot be honest at the start, there's no way I'll be swayed by a lower offer afterwards. They've already demonstrated they cannot be trusted.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

I am looking forward to the time when hand shaking is the norm again . It is an essential aspect of life.

Nottingham

It has always been creepy how desperate some strangers are to make you touch them.

I was thinking similar, I spend quite a bit of time in France (the North). There, cheek (facial ) kisses are the standard greeting rather than handshakes. Speaking with my relative, I know people there struggle with being unable to do so after it was stopped due to the virus.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Trump hated hand shaking

Just saying

"Trump hated hand shaking

Just saying "

Trump hates anything that he can't claim to be the originator of

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

These time honoured social habits have value. It will be good to get back to many of them, when safer

I've been thinking about this. do you think society, particularly English and American, had become more stand offish in recent years as the tech bubble increased around them.. more cars.. online shopping.. deliveries.. kids on switches with headphones not encouraged to play out. some people found it easy to socially distance cos they were going that way anyway while others have suffered irreparable mental damage as they miss people and interactions so much

d

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I think you make a good point, whenever you see a reporter on the telly there always seems to be people walking behind on their phones, looking down, not interacting with anyone, in fact we you would be hard pushed to see someone walking normally. Drive down the street and it is the same.

It seems a way of life now to be insular, technology is a great thing but there is a huge downside too

I still don't like handshakes though, it seems way too formal

"I think you make a good point, whenever you see a reporter on the telly there always seems to be people walking behind on their phones, looking down, not interacting with anyone, in fact we you would be hard pushed to see someone walking normally. Drive down the street and it is the same.

It seems a way of life now to be insular, technology is a great thing but there is a huge downside too

I still don't like handshakes though, it seems way too formal

"

we'd both rather big hugs as we are ultra touchy feely lol

Manchester (she/her)

"It has always been creepy how desperate some strangers are to make you touch them. "

Yeah, I've never been a fan. Particularly when men squeeze your hand - less sincerity and more "do I need an X-ray? That crunched".

Some people don't like to be touched, some cultures don't get on with it. We can greet each other without it.

do you think there is a massive divide in attitudes between the people who can and those who can't work from home in their social distancing viewpoints?

d

do you think there is a massive divide in attitudes between the people who can and those who can't work from home in their social distancing viewpoints?

d

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

Felt really alien for months not shaking hands with new people I was meeting in my new job last year.

Birthdays and cakes \ candles? Happy birthday, you want some cake... Yuuuuggg!

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Hope so! X

Never stopped shaking hands. You can tell a man from his handshake

By *vor PartiesMan  over a year ago

wigan

You’ll be surprised how we communicate in the dark x

By *vor PartiesMan  over a year ago

wigan

You’ll be surprised how we communicate in the dark x

Nottingham

"It has always been creepy how desperate some strangers are to make you touch them.

Yeah, I've never been a fan. Particularly when men squeeze your hand - less sincerity and more "do I need an X-ray? That crunched".

Some people don't like to be touched, some cultures don't get on with it. We can greet each other without it."

Exactly. It's just an excuse for That Guy to be That Guy. Happy to see the back of it.

Donning my club tie the firm handshake the certain look in the eye and easy smile

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I was not in the habit of shaking hands or hugging so i have not missed either.

By *rettygoodMan  over a year ago

Coalville

Hand shaking is dumb. I know that 90% of blokes in a public loo don't wash their hands before they leave..

So nah. All about the bow

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"I miss it a great deal.. Old fashioned maybe but I hate not being introduced to someone properly.. These days people expect you to do your own introductions.. Don't like that.

I have every intention of holding my hand out again when we get back to work and hope that gesture will be reciprocated and a very old tradition honoured!

I was brought up the same. Used to do handshakes when meeting new clients, and even regular old ones.

However as the years have rolled on, and the traditionalists have dwindled away, replaced with younger blood, I've noticed a step change in the handshake game.

I rarely see it done anymore, even before covid-19 struck. It feels like an empty "token gesture" now. Even I question myself when feeling the urge to do it (hard to shake old habits off).

Eg, am I coming across as too desperate to gain trust ? Can trust really be gained by a handshake anymore ? Trust is earned and demonstrated by many things, a handshake really isn't one of them.

My first thought now, when someone wants to shake my hand (apart from have they washed it!) is "Why does this person feel the need to shake my hand ? Are they trying to gain a psychological advantage ? Which book did they read this from ? Do I respond with a firm and more dominant handshake in return, setting boundaries ? How will that be perceived ?"

I don't have time for that anymore, especially in this climate.

If you want to sell me something, I'll tell you to offer me your best deal. I'll also tell you that I won't haggle you down. You get once chance and then I walk if I don't like it. If they revise the deal down further, I explain that if they cannot be honest at the start, there's no way I'll be swayed by a lower offer afterwards. They've already demonstrated they cannot be trusted.

"

That's a great response Sir! Very good points made and I like your deal sealing approach too.. Even though it kind of contradicts the ' norm' I guess.. Still perfectly valid in its way.

By *illy_the_tvTV/TS  over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

"I hope not, I never liked shaking a persons hand at the best of times... I mean have you seen where people put their hands!

They've looked into the percentage of men who wash their hands when they use a public loo.

It is not anywhere near 100% "

Disgustingly, womens really isn't that much higher than men for washing hands

By *unmatt888Man  over a year ago

Marlborough

I’ll miss it, but a small price to pay to keep infection rates down.

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

Just saying "

You can tell a lot from a man's handshake. His will probably have the feel of a wet kipper

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

"Hand shaking is dumb. I know that 90% of blokes in a public loo don't wash their hands before they leave..

So nah. All about the bow "

That's a lot of time you seem to be spending around mens toilets fella

By *rad670Man  over a year ago

South Lakes

I miss a handshake greeting, the type of handshake can say a lot about a person. Saying that I think it will be a while before folk are comfotable with it again especally with first time greetings, maybe not so much with existing friends.

ill always remember.. i think it was 20th March last year.. last day before schools closed standing watching my son play football after school and going to shake another dads hand on touchline, we both laughed and did the elbow thing.. the first real moment i knew things were different.. now a year age a week on.. i hope they get to have a proper end of term this year as my son leaves for big school and it would be nice ro have sports day and things

d

Manchester (she/her)

"It has always been creepy how desperate some strangers are to make you touch them.

Some people don't like to be touched, some cultures don't get on with it. We can greet each other without it.

Exactly. It's just an excuse for That Guy to be That Guy. Happy to see the back of it. "

Alternatively, the shake turned into a too long hug.

No just no. No touchy.

"I hope not, I never liked shaking a persons hand at the best of times... I mean have you seen where people put their hands!

Not just after a pee either! Some had a shite and walked out the cubicle and out the door without washing their hands.

Ive even sen a guy who put his pizza box under the piss trough in a wet floor, take a piss then pick the box up and eat the pizza

Shaking hands dam how have we survived this long, touch each other diseases riden body's. Well now reading on here people will never touch each other again, welcome to the brainwashed new world haha.

Nottingham

Exactly. It's just an excuse for That Guy to be That Guy. Happy to see the back of it.

Alternatively, the shake turned into a too long hug.

No just no. No touchy."

Eddie Izzard used to do a bit about responding to an idiot's bonecrusher handshake by going completely limp and collapsing to the floor.

You can indeed tell a lot about someone by their handshake... or rather, by how they react to people who don't wish compromise their boundaries by having one forced upon them.

Doesn't make sense... People Won't shake a hand (which can be thoroughly washed and well sanitised) ... but will suck dick and eat a pussy

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

I saw a study / report where its a fair chunk away from 100% for women who exit the toilet without washing their hands as well.

Either way I much prefer a fist bump lol

Nottingham

"Doesn't make sense... People Won't shake a hand (which can be thoroughly washed and well sanitised) ... but will suck dick and eat a pussy "

I think the difference is that when I go for an interview, I'm not expected to immediately eat the pussy of everyone in the room.

... although I admit that I might well have fantasised about such things. Hah.

By *edGrayCouple  over a year ago

Swindon

I was never a big fan of the handshake for hygienic reasons, but as a social norm it did give a good indication of a persons perceived character. I have found that I have changed how I interact with people over the last year and make more eye contact. I feel it gives more of a true indicator of a persons trustworthiness than a handshake ever did. On a side note, I have always admired the formal bowing of Korean and Japanese culture. It always seemed to be a greeting of mutual respect, rather than the handshake which was supposedly originated from demonstrating to a stranger that your where not going to draw your sword and your where a friend not foe.

I think in some some settings handshakes and hugs are just the norm for some groups of friends or in formal settings. I think technology has helped the dwindling of some forms of human interaction / contact too. Very hard to read what people’s preferences are in some circumstances too, i definitely have some friends who love hugs and handshakes and others who are not fans of them at all.

Manchester (she/her)

I saw a study / report where its a fair chunk away from 100% for women who exit the toilet without washing their hands as well.

Either way I much prefer a fist bump lol"

Yeah, I'm not saying women are better necessarily - I just only thought of a study on men.

By *eyond PurityCouple  over a year ago

Laceby

I enjoy a business handshake, and a series of cheek kisses, European style. I do miss these and both will definitely return in my greeting repertoire.

C

Just saying "

He is recognised as a germaphobe.

By *iger-NWMan  over a year ago

Preston

Just rub noses instead

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

Either way I much prefer a fist bump lol

Yeah, I'm not saying women are better necessarily - I just only thought of a study on men."

Hopefully one good thing from covid is its led to a lot more hand washing all round

I do as another poster highlighted love the Japanese culture of respecting personal space, bowing etc

KJ

» Add a new message to this topic