By *aralewis OP   Couple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

Let’s refresh our minds

The government are now saying where going with Scientists not Figures

But when the Scientists said lockdown we didn’t

Then we got told once R rate goes under We will stop Lockdown

Now where well under that we’ve been told where not going with Figures

Mixed msg and lies

Death rate low most of the vulnerable been vaccinated but still his road map in front but still looking to Extend The Lockdown

Where meant to be fully opened July

So can someone please tell me why furlough Scheme till September

And I think their next plan to make business struggle soo that when they want bring in Dumb rules about a vaccine passport ul be so desperate for your business to open ul go along with it not coz you agree but because at least that way ul survive

And that’s another part of their plan...examples Boris wanted pub passports but coz the pub and public didn’t agree he re worded it to say if that’s what the pubs want do??

Only my opinion

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

It's disclaimer talk.

They're trying to avoid responsibility for the consequences if things going wrong wether in or out of lockdown.

With a third wave coming from Europe and new strains from other continents, it's a case of covering all the bases.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

All very interesting

Maybe another lockdown end of April !!!

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

"Let’s refresh our minds

Mixed msg and lies

Death rate low most of the vulnerable been vaccinated but still his road map in front but still looking to Extend The Lockdown

And I think their next plan to make business struggle soo that when they want bring in Dumb rules about a vaccine passport ul be so desperate for your business to open ul go along with it not coz you agree but because at least that way ul survive

And that’s another part of their plan...examples Boris wanted pub passports but coz the pub and public didn’t agree he re worded it to say if that’s what the pubs want do??

Only my opinion

"

I know this is crazy and totally out there, but, maybe locking down is what's best for all of us.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

You're selective with your recall OP. It was stated to be driven by data, not dates but the data that will become available after each stage of the progressive relaxation of restrictions. We don't have that data yet.

We just have the first bit of data, that shows how schools reopening have affected the data.

Don't try to run before you can walk.

The mistake last year was to rush stupidly ahead, before we really knew what we were doing and how things would be affected. We didn't have the data and we were not ready.

It's great to be optimistic but there's a long way to go yet and data to gather. The map may change too.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Op it strikes me that regardless of what the government do certain people will never be happy.

They are doing what's best for the greater good hopefully not pandering to the needs of the vocal needy minority.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Furlough is till September to allow the hospitality (for eg) sector to regain their staff at an affordable time, not to go from no staff to full staff immediately and risk redundancies. Its quite well documented if you take the time to do some research

By *aralewis OP   Couple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

"You're selective with your recall OP. It was stated to be driven by data, not dates but the data that will become available after each stage of the progressive relaxation of restrictions. We don't have that data yet.

We just have the first bit of data, that shows how schools reopening have affected the data.

The mistake last year was to rush stupidly ahead, before we really knew what we were doing and how things would be affected. We didn't have the data and we were not ready.

It's great to be optimistic but there's a long way to go yet and data to gather. The map may change too. "

We was told that get vaccinated and everything will go back to normal

And if I can remember it’s to save the NHS

SO once the vulnerable had the jab and as they say admissions low nhs wouldn’t have a problem

Also if a new strain coming at what point do we stop locking down and live with it

Coz I’m not a Scientists but I can tell you that Virus always mutate

Has done for years

By *ackandtheunicornCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

"You're selective with your recall OP. It was stated to be driven by data, not dates but the data that will become available after each stage of the progressive relaxation of restrictions. We don't have that data yet.

It's great to be optimistic but there's a long way to go yet and data to gather. The map may change too.

SO once the vulnerable had the jab and as they say admissions low nhs wouldn’t have a problem

Also if a new strain coming at what point do we stop locking down and live with it

Has done for years "

It's all about control. The virus is irrelevant.

Every 5 to 10 years there is some big event that is use to create fear so the government can take more control and freedom. It's nothing new and has been going on for centuries. It's just a lot easier for them now they have mass media and the internet to constantly peddle their fear.

By *tu227Man  over a year ago

Brentwood

It's great to be optimistic but there's a long way to go yet and data to gather. The map may change too. "

smartest answer I've seen on the internet for a while.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Has done for years

Every 5 to 10 years there is some big event that is use to create fear so the government can take more control and freedom. It's nothing new and has been going on for centuries. It's just a lot easier for them now they have mass media and the internet to constantly peddle their fear. "

What utter bollocks where on earth did you read that nonsense??

Let me guess a link someone posted on bookface.

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

"Furlough is till September to allow the hospitality (for eg) sector to regain their staff at an affordable time, not to go from no staff to full staff immediately and risk redundancies. Its quite well documented if you take the time to do some research "

Exactly All though the New World Order, Flat Earth, 1984 crazies will twist it to suit their narrative.

Why are simple concepts so hard to grasp for some?

KJ

Has done for years

Every 5 to 10 years there is some big event that is use to create fear so the government can take more control and freedom. It's nothing new and has been going on for centuries. It's just a lot easier for them now they have mass media and the internet to constantly peddle their fear. "

"Let’s refresh our minds

Mixed msg and lies

Only my opinion

"

Do you really not know the readily available answers to your own questions, or is this for your entertainment given the controlling by fear post you also put up?

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

"

And I think their next plan

And that’s another part of their plan.

"

This plan, the aim and goal is?

Do we assume that any and all politicians are in on it and are co-operating on it in disregard to their political ideals, not just i this country but worldwide, ideals that are diametrically opposed.

Reptilian future?

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

"

Governments change, well at least in the UK they do. Given, there may be little difference between Conservatives and Labour these days the chance of total co-operation and collusion is frankly not going to happen.

Governments have yet managed to control the mass media and internet apart from heavy handed complete blocking such as in China, i see no evidence of it in the UK as the conspiracy theorists seem to running amok with abandon.

The incumbent Government are currently under more pressure from their own backbenchers particularly the 1922 committee who want restrictions relaxed now and all special powers cancelled, hardly the work of a group wanting to retain the masses under oppression.

"Let’s refresh our minds

Mixed msg and lies

Only my opinion

"

Furlough till September to help companies that can't open 100% straight away...thus staff have a safety net

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Let’s refresh our minds

Mixed msg and lies

Only my opinion

"

OP.

This post shows a huge lack of understanding about so many things.

Firstly, "The Government" isn't someone sort of omnipotent entity. It is a collection of individuals with their individual opinions. Almost everything that "The Government" does, has to be debated and voted on...

Secondly, "The Government" have aways said they are following the science, but the science will present "statistical models" of various scenarios. There still needs to be a decision over which actions provide the best compromise... because the only solution that the science supports is Full Lockdown until everyone is vaccinated.

It was never said that when the R number reached a specific number that Lockdown would end. Only that reducing it was important in getting to a stage when restrictions could be lifted... lifting of restrictions started with opening schools, but it is important to see whe effect of each relaxation of rules before deciding if it is safe to move to the next. There has been an obvious increase in cases amongst children & teachers.

The extending of the set of "lockdown laws" for another six months only means that we can respond quickly to changing infection rates, rather than needing to waste a week passing laws before implementing a restriction. These laws are not "the restrictions" only the permission to use restrictions.

There is little to suggest that the government "want" to have "vaccine passports", but lots of people are asking for them as a way to get themselves some freedom. The Government stance has so far been that "business can choose" to impose restrictions if they want, but it wouldn't be required by law... we will see if that changes, but it is unlikely to happen before everyone has had the chance of vaccination, because that would be discrimination.

Cal

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"Let’s refresh our minds

Mixed msg and lies

Only my opinion

OP.

Firstly, "The Government" isn't someone sort of omnipotent entity. It is a collection of individuals with their individual opinions. Almost everything that "The Government" does, has to be debated and voted on...

Secondly, "The Government" have aways said they are following the science, but the science will present "statistical models" of various scenarios. There still needs to be a decision over which actions provide the best compromise... because the only solution that the science supports is Full Lockdown until everyone is vaccinated.

It was never said that when the R number reached a specific number that Lockdown would end. Only that reducing it was important in getting to a stage when restrictions could be lifted... lifting of restrictions started with opening schools, but it is important to see whe effect of each relaxation of rules before deciding if it is safe to move to the next. There has been an obvious increase in cases amongst children & teachers.

The extending of the set of "lockdown laws" for another six months only means that we can respond quickly to changing infection rates, rather than needing to waste a week passing laws before implementing a restriction. These laws are not "the restrictions" only the permission to use restrictions.

There is little to suggest that the government "want" to have "vaccine passports", but lots of people are asking for them as a way to get themselves some freedom. The Government stance has so far been that "business can choose" to impose restrictions if they want, but it wouldn't be required by law... we will see if that changes, but it is unlikely to happen before everyone has had the chance of vaccination, because that would be discrimination.

Cal"

Always a voice of reason Cal

Central

Has done for years "

You remember some of the ideas that they have had and I am a big critic of their management of this. But whilst they have made a number of slogans, they've only had a couple of detailed plans - the first last summer, with relaxation and the main 1 now, for the staged relaxation, with data, not date driven, relaxation. The NHS management vaccine rollout is the other key plan we've had.

The important plan is the one we're in. Ideals they talked about earlier, such as protecting the NHS services and capacity have now shown some positive results. The data driven relaxation in stages is needed to prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed again, if we do too much, too quickly, as it seemed like we did last summer. If this measured data driven approach works, it should mean that we don't have to restrict things again, which nobody wants.

Obviously a virus rampaging around the world, where measures taken aren't under the control of what parliament can vote to change etc, is something that could throw problems for us further down the line. Mutations will happen and may throw more issues for us in future.

We don't have all of the vaccine stock yet to vaccinate everyone. It should come through late spring and summer. As close to everyone vaccinated as possible should leave us better able to withstand specific problems that we don't know of yet. The virus is still here today and if we took all restrictions away today, we would see infection levels rise. It's better to be cautious on just what we do and when, which the data will help us to do, coupled with the vaccination programme progressing and the public taking up the offer of the vaccine in very high numbers.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"Op it strikes me that regardless of what the government do certain people will never be happy.

They are doing what's best for the greater good hopefully not pandering to the needs of the vocal needy minority."

' the greater good'

Define who that is?

And what do they/you expect the ' lesser' people to do? Say nothing keep smiling watching everyone start their bbq spring /summer in the back garden season again getting d*unk eating well all paid for by the state ?

I fucking think not!

Where is the system of ' equality' everyone keeps bleating about that we have? Though clearly do not!!

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"

Cal"

Sorry Cal, no offence, but that simply is not true and actually displays a naive and flawed understanding of how Government in the UK, most pertinently right now, works.

The Executive is made up of the Cabinet consisting of senior Ministers (Secretary of State for XYZ) headed up by the Prime Minister. When you have a PM who is in a strong position, such as having an 80 seat majority, ALL Cabinet Ministers will tow the line for fear of losing their jobs.

The Legislature, ie MPs in Parliament, may well debate govt bills (proposed legislation) but again if the PM (Executive) is in a strong position the party is “whipped” to vote with the Executive (ie keeping the back benchers in line).

Again with an 80 seat majority, that means the current Executive can pretty much do whatever they want.

So in reality “individuals with individual opinions” is a myth.

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"Op it strikes me that regardless of what the government do certain people will never be happy.

They are doing what's best for the greater good hopefully not pandering to the needs of the vocal needy minority.

' the greater good'

Define who that is?

And what do they/you expect the ' lesser' people to do? Say nothing keep smiling watching everyone start their bbq spring /summer in the back garden season again getting d*unk eating well all paid for by the state ?

I fucking think not!

Where is the system of ' equality' everyone keeps bleating about that we have? Though clearly do not!! "

To me...’the greater good’ is something that may not be of immediate use, interest or help to me as an individual, but may well benefit the wider community...who ever that may be.

So, I get the jab, my arm hurts, I feel a bit off for a day or so, I have to go out of my way to get jabbed etc, however this action may slow or stop further spread of the virus, may prevent someone from dying from it as I may not infect them or may pass on a lower viral load, or may free up a hospital bed so that someone can get cancer treatment for example. Ok I do get the benefit of less likely to be seriously ill with Covid, but the other benefits outweigh with no tangible benefits to me personally.

Birmingham

...also not sure what you mean by lesser people , especially as you characterise those on furlough as scrounged...living off our money for doing nothing.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"It's disclaimer talk.

They're trying to avoid responsibility for the consequences if things going wrong wether in or out of lockdown.

With a third wave coming from Europe and new strains from other continents, it's a case of covering all the bases.

"

No, the "third wave" is what we sent to Europe!

By *enhamhoopMan  over a year ago

Denham

They are doing what's best for the greater good hopefully not pandering to the needs of the vocal needy minority."

How are any of these restrictions for the greater good factually this horrid virus only kills a very small percentage of the population. A slightly higher percentage are hospitalised but recover and a bigger percentage catch it and have no knowledge they ever had it. Yet the large majority of society have had their livelihoods and way of life put on hold for a year. When small to medium size firms go bankrupt thanks to the closure of their ability to trade the poverty off shoot of this will probably mean considerably more deaths through long term stress and hunger caused by our Governments actions and inactions

"Let’s refresh our minds

Mixed msg and lies

Only my opinion

Well, they are pretty much a bunch of born liars, so did anyone expect anything different ?

"

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

They are doing what's best for the greater good hopefully not pandering to the needs of the vocal needy minority. How are any of these restrictions for the greater good factually this horrid virus only kills a very small percentage of the population. A slightly higher percentage are hospitalised but recover and a bigger percentage catch it and have no knowledge they ever had it. Yet the large majority of society have had their livelihoods and way of life put on hold for a year. When small to medium size firms go bankrupt thanks to the closure of their ability to trade the poverty off shoot of this will probably mean considerably more deaths through long term stress and hunger caused by our Governments actions and inactions"

Only kills a small percentage?

Not so good if your one of the small percentage also there’s lots of people suffering long term side effects of COVID as well

"Let’s refresh our minds

Mixed msg and lies

Only my opinion

"

Because it still exists! Until it’s gone it’s still a killer. I don’t get your point. What is your question

Central

They are doing what's best for the greater good hopefully not pandering to the needs of the vocal needy minority. How are any of these restrictions for the greater good factually this horrid virus only kills a very small percentage of the population. A slightly higher percentage are hospitalised but recover and a bigger percentage catch it and have no knowledge they ever had it. Yet the large majority of society have had their livelihoods and way of life put on hold for a year. When small to medium size firms go bankrupt thanks to the closure of their ability to trade the poverty off shoot of this will probably mean considerably more deaths through long term stress and hunger caused by our Governments actions and inactions"

I accept your point that this virus has caused much wider harm than just the people who had the infection, including the broad economic damage to businesses etc that will continue for years. But the economy only rests on the health and survival of the people, without us, the economy is nothing.

The protective measures to preserve the ability of the NHS to just about manage, were needed though as if we hadn't taken them, the catastrophic numbers would have been many multiples of times higher and we'd not have managed to get to reduce them at any point over the year. Sweden faces bigger problems than us today, despite more recently introducing some restrictions. A do nothing, or do very little, approach to protect the economy doesn't achieve that. It throws the lives of people to the slaughter, in the backwards looking principle that forgets that the economy is only a servant to the people and to support our wellbeing and nothing more. Without the wellbeing and survival of the citizens, the economy means zilch.

By *xfordshireCoupleMFCouple  over a year ago

Nr. Oxford

I love all these posts about us opening up early because the most vulnerable are vaccinated, last time I checked you didn’t need to be vulnerable to get long covid. I would rather wait a little longer than possibly contract a life altering infection.

Lily

Denham

"I love all these posts about us opening up early because the most vulnerable are vaccinated, last time I checked you didn’t need to be vulnerable to get long covid. I would rather wait a little longer than possibly contract a life altering infection.

Lily "

Vaccination does not stop you catching you Covid just lessens the effect it will have on you and your ability to spread the disease not my words Chris Whittys which seems to be universally ignored every time he utters it

stafford

"...also not sure what you mean by lesser people , especially as you characterise those on furlough as scrounged...living off our money for doing nothing."

Really?

It was obvious I thought and actually stated in my post who I meant. I suggest you go back and read it.

Neither did I say or suggest people who were given support from the government were scroungers.

Perhaps if you read my post again you might derive it's meaning. I think I would prefer that to you deciding incorrectly what you think I am saying

Denham

They are doing what's best for the greater good hopefully not pandering to the needs of the vocal needy minority. How are any of these restrictions for the greater good factually this horrid virus only kills a very small percentage of the population. A slightly higher percentage are hospitalised but recover and a bigger percentage catch it and have no knowledge they ever had it. Yet the large majority of society have had their livelihoods and way of life put on hold for a year. When small to medium size firms go bankrupt thanks to the closure of their ability to trade the poverty off shoot of this will probably mean considerably more deaths through long term stress and hunger caused by our Governments actions and inactions

Not so good if your one of the small percentage also there’s lots of people suffering long term side effects of COVID as well "

0.022 percent is a small percentage my question is just how many of these would not have died this year without covid just remember in spite of lockdown we are still allowing people to fly in and out of this country with minimal restrictions

They are doing what's best for the greater good hopefully not pandering to the needs of the vocal needy minority. How are any of these restrictions for the greater good factually this horrid virus only kills a very small percentage of the population. A slightly higher percentage are hospitalised but recover and a bigger percentage catch it and have no knowledge they ever had it. Yet the large majority of society have had their livelihoods and way of life put on hold for a year. When small to medium size firms go bankrupt thanks to the closure of their ability to trade the poverty off shoot of this will probably mean considerably more deaths through long term stress and hunger caused by our Governments actions and inactions

Not so good if your one of the small percentage also there’s lots of people suffering long term side effects of COVID as well 0.022 percent is a small percentage my question is just how many of these would not have died this year without covid just remember in spite of lockdown we are still allowing people to fly in and out of this country with minimal restrictions "

You realise that this “small percentage” is many many peoples husbands, wives, mothers, fathers etc...real people

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

Not so good if your one of the small percentage also there’s lots of people suffering long term side effects of COVID as well 0.022 percent is a small percentage my question is just how many of these would not have died this year without covid just remember in spite of lockdown we are still allowing people to fly in and out of this country with minimal restrictions

"

About 1.5 million years of potential life have been lost in this last year due to Covid. Not exactly a drop in the ocean.

Full Facts have a good article on QALYs, that explains it.

Birmingham

"...also not sure what you mean by lesser people , especially as you characterise those on furlough as scrounged...living off our money for doing nothing.

Really?

It was obvious I thought and actually stated in my post who I meant. I suggest you go back and read it.

Neither did I say or suggest people who were given support from the government were scroungers.

Perhaps if you read my post again you might derive it's meaning. I think I would prefer that to you deciding incorrectly what you think I am saying "

Apologies if I misunderstood. Please clarify...I don’t understand who you meant by lesser. Your reference to people eating well & watching TV on furlough money led me to believe you thought they were scrounges, again I apologise for that, but am now not at all sure what you meant.

Birmingham

Sorry you didn’t mention watching TV, it was the barbecue thing I misremembered. I agree with you about the equality..or lack of as undoubtedly there are those left behind, but the reference to state money made me think you had an issue with those that did get some payment

stafford

"Sorry you didn’t mention watching TV, it was the barbecue thing I misremembered. I agree with you about the equality..or lack of as undoubtedly there are those left behind, but the reference to state money made me think you had an issue with those that did get some payment "

' lesser' as in lesser mortals.. The same but different maybe?

No issue with people being helped.. My point was about a lack of balance and lots of inequality..

Denham

Not so good if your one of the small percentage also there’s lots of people suffering long term side effects of COVID as well 0.022 percent is a small percentage my question is just how many of these would not have died this year without covid just remember in spite of lockdown we are still allowing people to fly in and out of this country with minimal restrictions

About 1.5 million years of potential life have been lost in this last year due to Covid. Not exactly a drop in the ocean.

Full Facts have a good article on QALYs, that explains it. "

Yes but all based on the assumption that Lockdown for the entire population is the only way to solve the issue why not selective Lockdown ie protecting the most vulnerable from themselves and the rest of the population. Will be interesting to see 20 years down the line just how successful New Zealand and Australias method of dealing with the virus or Sweden versus the Uk's method

Birmingham

"Sorry you didn’t mention watching TV, it was the barbecue thing I misremembered. I agree with you about the equality..or lack of as undoubtedly there are those left behind, but the reference to state money made me think you had an issue with those that did get some payment

No issue with people being helped.. My point was about a lack of balance and lots of inequality.. "

Ok then we are on the same page then, the increase in inequalities is abhorrent to us both, helped along by Bozo & his chums, the rich get richer & the rest of us..’the lesser’ just better be grateful.

Apologies once more for misreading you & thanks for taking the time to explain, many do not.

stafford

"Sorry you didn’t mention watching TV, it was the barbecue thing I misremembered. I agree with you about the equality..or lack of as undoubtedly there are those left behind, but the reference to state money made me think you had an issue with those that did get some payment

No issue with people being helped.. My point was about a lack of balance and lots of inequality..

Ok then we are on the same page then, the increase in inequalities is abhorrent to us both, helped along by Bozo & his chums, the rich get richer & the rest of us..’the lesser’ just better be grateful.

Apologies once more for misreading you & thanks for taking the time to explain, many do not."

Indeed

Not a problem. I hate being confused about things too.people jump to conclusions on fB far too quickly. Some because they get the intention wrong another's because at times they are simply finding it hard to understand what someone has said.

Either way.. A bit of effort to explain what you mean always helps keep the flow of a thread from getting unpleasant .

Sadly I have found when some people don't understand something their response is to shout and get angry about it making their replies personal and abusive . Generally they simply lack the knowledge or eduction to respond to a point and fight it instead.There are all sorts on Fab from all kinds of backgrounds and education etc

Glad to see we agree with eachother. W

Birmingham

Thank you sir, that is exactly why I wanted to understand your point, even if we did turn out to disagree there still would be no reason for abuse, neither of us would have benefited. As it turns out we agree & can metaphorically sit in the corner enjoying a debate & a pint.

By *teviesmith73Man  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Let’s refresh our minds

Mixed msg and lies

Only my opinion

OP.

Cal"

totally agree. We need to understand that this is an ever changing virus giving ever changing data. These are unprecedented times within our lifetime and measures need to be put in place for this ever moving target.

By *xploring_FunWoman  over a year ago

Coventry

Some industries are going to need the furlough scheme even when the UK lifts restrictions.

The airline and travel industries for a start.

» Add a new message to this topic