FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Are journalists naturally thick?

Are journalists naturally thick?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *leaserforPleasure OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Journalist after journalist asks the same question despite already having an answer.

After the first question on passports Boris stated they are not imminent and likely for foreign travel only.

Are journalists just thick or simply not listening?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *offee and KinksCouple  over a year ago

Notts/Derby

I’m wondering if they are pre-recorded so that the links don’t drop out. So they won’t have heard the previous replies.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I've often seen journalists repeat questions in the face of evasive interviewees, to try to get them to actually say something meaningful.

Most commonly with politicians (although I'm not thinking immediately about the UK government as I write this).

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Journalist after journalist asks the same question despite already having an answer.

After the first question on passports Boris stated they are not imminent and likely for foreign travel only.

Are journalists just thick or simply not listening?"

Their only aim is to try to make him say something controversial.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think it's in the job description

Thick and lazy

Whoop whoop, I can now get a my hair done

Whitstable

"I've often seen journalists repeat questions in the face of evasive interviewees, to try to get them to actually say something meaningful.

Most commonly with politicians (although I'm not thinking immediately about the UK government as I write this)."

I get that and agree that evasion should be pursued however Boris seemed pretty clear that Covid passports are not on the cards for entry to pubs or shops, probably needed for travel (which surely everyone expects) and possibly for large scale events.

Basically journalists are trying to stir the shit on passports.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Journalist after journalist asks the same question despite already having an answer.

Because what he is saying in the presser... and what is in the updated roadmap document i am currently reading... boris is fudging the issues raised

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Because what he is saying in the presser... and what is in the updated roadmap document i am currently reading... boris is fudging the issues raised"

he is not fudging the issue at all its pretty fucking obvious to everyone that he nor anyone else knows what the covid figures will be in other countries on may 12th so its an impossible question to answer but time after time they ask the same question. Im surprised he can keep his cool because it winds me up listening to them repeating the same question time after time.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Because what he is saying in the presser... and what is in the updated roadmap document i am currently reading... boris is fudging the issues raised he is not fudging the issue at all its pretty fucking obvious to everyone that he nor anyone else knows what the covid figures will be in other countries on may 12th so its an impossible question to answer but time after time they ask the same question. Im surprised he can keep his cool because it winds me up listening to them repeating the same question time after time. "

If he has used the wording in the roadmap document he would not need to answer the same question... or maybe the point was to see if boris would use the same language as in the document... in which case the answer is no he didn’t!

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I've often seen journalists repeat questions in the face of evasive interviewees, to try to get them to actually say something meaningful.

Most commonly with politicians (although I'm not thinking immediately about the UK government as I write this).

I get that and agree that evasion should be pursued however Boris seemed pretty clear that Covid passports are not on the cards for entry to pubs or shops, probably needed for travel (which surely everyone expects) and possibly for large scale events.

Basically journalists are trying to stir the shit on passports."

I'm absolutely not watching I read my news rather than risk breaking my devices having to deal with this stuff live.

Whatever happens will come out in the end.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Because what he is saying in the presser... and what is in the updated roadmap document i am currently reading... boris is fudging the issues raised he is not fudging the issue at all its pretty fucking obvious to everyone that he nor anyone else knows what the covid figures will be in other countries on may 12th so its an impossible question to answer but time after time they ask the same question. Im surprised he can keep his cool because it winds me up listening to them repeating the same question time after time.

If he has used the wording in the roadmap document he would not need to answer the same question... or maybe the point was to see if boris would use the same language as in the document... in which case the answer is no he didn’t!"

The point is they were totally pointless questions after he had answered the 1st time.If i was him i would only give them one question then it would cut all that crap out.

Hahahah most of them are just professionally thick, but hey there are plenty that are naturally that way too ; )

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I think that maybe they do not know all the other questions.

As for Boris he was evasive about internal passports at a later time after June I thought otherwise easy to follow and understand.

By *nlyDesiCandiTV/TS  over a year ago

kilburn

It’s the standard of education they get these days

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've not seen the interview but generally find the questions too lame. They will have been pre-filtered for public - and Johnson - acceptability. Johnson is atrocious at answering questions generally and needs better, appropriate questions that he should answer

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Because what he is saying in the presser... and what is in the updated roadmap document i am currently reading... boris is fudging the issues raised he is not fudging the issue at all its pretty fucking obvious to everyone that he nor anyone else knows what the covid figures will be in other countries on may 12th so its an impossible question to answer but time after time they ask the same question. Im surprised he can keep his cool because it winds me up listening to them repeating the same question time after time.

If he has used the wording in the roadmap document he would not need to answer the same question... or maybe the point was to see if boris would use the same language as in the document... in which case the answer is no he didn’t!The point is they were totally pointless questions after he had answered the 1st time.If i was him i would only give them one question then it would cut all that crap out."

Nicola Sturgeon used to do that in her daily briefings.

Many times she would retort with a "I've already answered that question".

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

"I've not seen the interview but generally find the questions too lame. They will have been pre-filtered for public - and Johnson - acceptability. Johnson is atrocious at answering questions generally and needs better, appropriate questions that he should answer "

The questions last night were dire. Despite the fact that Chris Whitby and Boris had clearly said that they weren’t able to make any firm commitment about holidays abroad from 17th May because of the changing conditions in Europe the same question must have been asked four or five times! What was even more amazing though was that Whitty had also explained that when people start meeting indoors again after 17th May he expected a large rise in infections and that this could result in further measures/ lockdown later in the year no one asked anything about it!

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

Had to laugh today at Kate Garraway (who i love ) interviewing Alex Salmond, someone must have been in her ear telling her to fire all these questions at him, (think itv are trying to get all their people to interview like Piers lmfao) until Salmond said, quite calmly, "not much point in continuing if you are not going to give me time to answer the question before firing more questions at me"

I'm surprised people have just noticed this.

Me and some friends made the same comments on the state on questions since the daily briefings started last year.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

There are a few storylines they like to stir aren't that and it's all to create a story through unrest and distrust.

UK v Europe vaccines.. They are shit we are great

UK v Europe brexit, business they are great we are shit

UK v virus... When is the next lockdown, when are you going to stop lockdown, when will life be normal again

UK govt v people... What's the next freedom we can inflate as being repressed, scare story

Rinse repeat for 2 years

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Prior to the arrival of Covid 19 the newspaper industry were having a tough time.

Sales were plummeting, Advertising revenues were going elsewhere i.e. The internet, and social media sites.

News stories were few and far between. Then along came Covid 19 which for the Newspapers was Manna from Heaven and from that day on they have milked it almost to death.

Sadly the quality of some journalism has left a lot to be desired.

It will be interesting to see where the Newspaper Industry is in 12 months time when hopefully life will be back to some form of normality.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

As Boris cannot be trusted in anything he says (doesn’t even bother answering questions on Wednesdays PM questios with Starmer et al), it is no wonder people ask the same question more than once. Indeed this Govt hasbeen totally evasive about facing questions since it was elected, boycotting many news channels and shows.

They have a deliberate policy of avoiding the press and leaking info to sympathetic- Telegraph & Times - media.

If they were honest, truthful and transparent then they might merit some sympathy from being asked the same question many times. Butbthey clearly are not.

Tin town

"As Boris cannot be trusted in anything he says (doesn’t even bother answering questions on Wednesdays PM questios with Starmer et al), it is no wonder people ask the same question more than once. Indeed this Govt hasbeen totally evasive about facing questions since it was elected, boycotting many news channels and shows.

They have a deliberate policy of avoiding the press and leaking info to sympathetic- Telegraph & Times - media.

If they were honest, truthful and transparent then they might merit some sympathy from being asked the same question many times. Butbthey clearly are not."

Maybe but its not just politicians... Its so called celebrities, persons of renown, sports people and leaders... There is a mutual distrust. Its like the line... "anything you say will be taken down and used against you"... The "press" or "media" have helped to create that environment which means almost everyone who says anything publicly is slaughtered, wilfully misrepresented or misunderstood. It's extremely hard to get to the words that were actually said and the context around them, even if people do have the time, energy and motivation to try. Much easier to take the 128 character twitter tablet unchallenged... "so you're a racist now father ted"

Chudleigh

"As Boris cannot be trusted in anything he says (doesn’t even bother answering questions on Wednesdays PM questios with Starmer et al), it is no wonder people ask the same question more than once. Indeed this Govt hasbeen totally evasive about facing questions since it was elected, boycotting many news channels and shows.

If they were honest, truthful and transparent then they might merit some sympathy from being asked the same question many times. Butbthey clearly are not.

Maybe but its not just politicians... Its so called celebrities, persons of renown, sports people and leaders... There is a mutual distrust. Its like the line... "anything you say will be taken down and used against you"... The "press" or "media" have helped to create that environment which means almost everyone who says anything publicly is slaughtered, wilfully misrepresented or misunderstood. It's extremely hard to get to the words that were actually said and the context around them, even if people do have the time, energy and motivation to try. Much easier to take the 128 character twitter tablet unchallenged... "so you're a racist now father ted" "

I don’t care about Celebrites, but I do care about the lack of honesty from the Government. Previous Govts have applied ‘spin’, this one just lies & avoids direct questions.

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

Journalists and the media all want one thing. A quote they can take out of context to suit the article they are working on. Be it a wrong word in a sentance or a stutter or pause before an answer but they all try to get the same question answered in a slighty different way so they can claim someone said this or that that they didn t actually say. You only have to look at the bbc headlines at the bottom of the screen during the covid press briefings. Words left out or phrased in a way to sound contraversial or to scaremonger or enrage the public

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

In my opinion most journalists are like vultures they only tend to be seen when impending doom and gloom .a reporter will almost every time look for the negative side of a story as thats what sells

Tin town

"In my opinion most journalists are like vultures they only tend to be seen when impending doom and gloom .a reporter will almost every time look for the negative side of a story as thats what sells "

I think you're right but it goes way beyond a single journalist, it is a culture and environment which goals and rewards them based on their editorial policy. Editors used to be held accountable for the accuracy of their employees content.and afraid of getting it wrong because consequences were significant.... Job loss, fines etc.... Now there is little or no accountability for whatever is written and implied.

Chudleigh

"In my opinion most journalists are like vultures they only tend to be seen when impending doom and gloom .a reporter will almost every time look for the negative side of a story as thats what sells

I think you're right but it goes way beyond a single journalist, it is a culture and environment which goals and rewards them based on their editorial policy. Editors used to be held accountable for the accuracy of their employees content.and afraid of getting it wrong because consequences were significant.... Job loss, fines etc.... Now there is little or no accountability for whatever is written and implied. "

Are the Telegraph & Guardian Journalists guilty of the same? Where do you draw a line in the Journalism you accept & don’t accept? Wheredo you get your information from, surely someone (Journalist) has sought it out and purposedit for you?

Kay burley and co was

No but the ones who get to the position of being the fave of their discipline for national broadcasters have done so by virtue of being in the octet of the people they should be exposing. Investigative journalism has been responsible for some of the most important news stories in history. It’s all but dead now because the mainstream media outlets aren’t intense rested in critical coverage if a story, just their flag waving,

upton wirral

Maybe but its not just politicians... Its so called celebrities, persons of renown, sports people and leaders... There is a mutual distrust. Its like the line... "anything you say will be taken down and used against you"... The "press" or "media" have helped to create that environment which means almost everyone who says anything publicly is slaughtered, wilfully misrepresented or misunderstood. It's extremely hard to get to the words that were actually said and the context around them, even if people do have the time, energy and motivation to try. Much easier to take the 128 character twitter tablet unchallenged... "so you're a racist now father ted"

I don’t care about Celebrites, but I do care about the lack of honesty from the Government. Previous Govts have applied ‘spin’, this one just lies & avoids direct questions."

What is the difference between spin and lies.

Answer nothing but there is a degree of nastiness towarda Boris by Remoaners they are pathetic

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

We have a friend who is a journalist. She is anything but thick.

Would love to show her the post but that would mean showing her Fab.

Rather leave her in total fab ignorance and let's be honest, do we really think she'd be concerned what someone days on here, doubt it. So, think leave well alone.

Have fun.

Chudleigh

I don’t care about Celebrites, but I do care about the lack of honesty from the Government. Previous Govts have applied ‘spin’, this one just lies & avoids direct questions.What is the difference between spin and lies.

Answer nothing but there is a degree of nastiness towarda Boris by Remoaners they are pathetic"

What he sows, so shall we reap! Boris was a ‘Journalist’ (allegedly), so he deserves everything he gave - at least other journalists don’t just make it up at the last minute like he did

Tin town

"We have a friend who is a journalist. She is anything but thick.

Rather leave her in total fab ignorance and let's be honest, do we really think she'd be concerned what someone days on here, doubt it. So, think leave well alone.

Have fun. "

Perfect, maybe you could ask her if she feels the quality of journalism is different to say 10 years ago especially regarding accuracy, responsibility, sensationalising and accountability. She would know.

[Removed by poster at 07/04/21 18:27:48]

They are paid to ask the questions that people need explaining. Makes them look idiots but what does that say about the wider population?

By *urNaughtyHobbyCouple  over a year ago

Confidential Information

"Their only aim is to try to make him say something controversial. "

or just give Johnson a second chance of putting together a coherent sentence lol (sorry couldn't resist)

Tin town

"They are paid to ask the questions that people need explaining. Makes them look idiots but what does that say about the wider population?"

I do believe the puic gets what the public wants.

But to think all journos / hacks / Content creators gey paid to ask the questions that people need explaining is perhaps naive. For a start when do said journos ever do any research and talk to everyman to establish what they need explaining? And if that's truly the case, they aren't doing on my behalf. I already know that the govt can't yet confirm fldates when people can go on holiday. So no need to ask that question 5 times every day.

"They are paid to ask the questions that people need explaining. Makes them look idiots but what does that say about the wider population?

But to think all journos / hacks / Content creators gey paid to ask the questions that people need explaining is perhaps naive. For a start when do said journos ever do any research and talk to everyman to establish what they need explaining? And if that's truly the case, they aren't doing on my behalf. I already know that the govt can't yet confirm fldates when people can go on holiday. So no need to ask that question 5 times every day. "

There are some (many) idiots out there.

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

"They are paid to ask the questions that people need explaining. Makes them look idiots but what does that say about the wider population?

But to think all journos / hacks / Content creators gey paid to ask the questions that people need explaining is perhaps naive. For a start when do said journos ever do any research and talk to everyman to establish what they need explaining? And if that's truly the case, they aren't doing on my behalf. I already know that the govt can't yet confirm fldates when people can go on holiday. So no need to ask that question 5 times every day. "

I know exactly what you it drives you nuts watching and listening to them asking the same question to which they and most people already know the answer.

What do they say about journalists? "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

Never rung so true as currently.

Even Kier has followed the story...saying he would be 'against the government's "plans" ' to introduce passports for pubs....something they have never said they plan to do!

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

I would truly like to have more journalists that will keep asking difficult questions when politicians duck and dive to avoid answering.

They have to submit their questions before they go on air. They cannot deviate from that. They’re unaware of what other journalists are going to ask.

Whitstable

They have to submit their questions before they go on air. They cannot deviate from that. They’re unaware of what other journalists are going to ask. "

which would prove they are thick then.

If they worked as a team and communicated with each other then there would be a lot more varied questions. Surely they must realise that one of them is going to (for example) ask about Covid passports.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"Journalists and the media all want one thing. A quote they can take out of context to suit the article they are working on. Be it a wrong word in a sentance or a stutter or pause before an answer but they all try to get the same question answered in a slighty different way so they can claim someone said this or that that they didn t actually say. You only have to look at the bbc headlines at the bottom of the screen during the covid press briefings. Words left out or phrased in a way to sound contraversial or to scaremonger or enrage the public"

...and people are calling them thick?

That sounds deviously clever to me.

On a par with the some of the deviously clever politicians.

Tin town

They have to submit their questions before they go on air. They cannot deviate from that. They’re unaware of what other journalists are going to ask.

which would prove they are thick then.

If they worked as a team and communicated with each other then there would be a lot more varied questions. Surely they must realise that one of them is going to (for example) ask about Covid passports."

But of an assumption that they don't talk to each other.... Its nobodies fault but theirs that they continue to make themselves look stupid and vacuous.

Someone said above they wanted more journos to ask more probing questions... Well what's stopping them? They have control over it.

Yet most of us have hung on their every word for the past year. Says way more about us than them.

By *andy2123Couple  over a year ago

Portsmouth

They are evil people.

There was a recent April fools prank done by Volkswagen who said they were changing their name to voltswagen and make electric cars. Journalists did no research and got fooled. Pretty much journalists are unbelievably thick.

Chudleigh

Journalists are more capable than the average member of the population. If you think they are thick, perhaps you are above average!

So many of the current government, including Boris have close ties to journalism - to answer your question I would argue that most journalists are afraid to ask Boris the right question and skirt around subjects asking indirect questions.

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

So many of the current government, including Boris have close ties to journalism - to answer your question I would argue that most journalists are afraid to ask Boris the right question and skirt around subjects asking indirect questions."

By *elpful and caringMan  over a year ago

Scarborough

Yes.

No more questions.

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"There was a recent April fools prank done by Volkswagen who said they were changing their name to voltswagen and make electric cars. Journalists did no research and got fooled. Pretty much journalists are unbelievably thick. "

Professional journalism has been gutted by cost-cutting over the last 15/20 years. Since people can get their news free online there's less money in it overall. The recent move to paywalls is long overdue.

With less money in it what you're left with is less real journalism and more repackaging of press releases and news wire articles... which is why this sort of thing can happen.

"There was a recent April fools prank done by Volkswagen who said they were changing their name to voltswagen and make electric cars. Journalists did no research and got fooled. Pretty much journalists are unbelievably thick.

Professional journalism has been gutted by cost-cutting over the last 15/20 years. Since people can get their news free online there's less money in it overall. The recent move to paywalls is long overdue.

With less money in it what you're left with is less real journalism and more repackaging of press releases and news wire articles... which is why this sort of thing can happen."

Exactly, with the rise of social media the only way they can make money now is by making clickbait drivel. I bet they secretly wanted trump to win so they could shit out 100 articles a day about him

Most real Journalism has been replaced with activism

Tin town

"Journalists are more capable than the average member of the population. If you think they are thick, perhaps you are above average! "

More capable of what exactly.? Misusing their position and capability to create the news? Using their position to go for cheap and quick wins with no regard for the consequences?

Tin town

So many of the current government, including Boris have close ties to journalism - to answer your question I would argue that most journalists are afraid to ask Boris the right question and skirt around subjects asking indirect questions."

Thing is it's not just about Boris. If it were it would not be such a huge issue. It's not just the politics. It's the lack of quality control and editorial responsibility now. From encouraging division to bullying to craven misrepresentation to sell a story, to colossal invasions of privacy without consequence. Its a race to the bottom of the barrel at the moment.

Chudleigh

"Journalists are more capable than the average member of the population. If you think they are thick, perhaps you are above average!

More capable of what exactly.? Misusing their position and capability to create the news? Using their position to go for cheap and quick wins with no regard for the consequences? "

Do you think every single journalist is incapable then? You make sweeping statements with no evidence, just hyperbole. You are more guilty of this than the worst journalist

Tin town

"Journalists are more capable than the average member of the population. If you think they are thick, perhaps you are above average!

More capable of what exactly.? Misusing their position and capability to create the news? Using their position to go for cheap and quick wins with no regard for the consequences?

Do you think every single journalist is incapable then? You make sweeping statements with no evidence, just hyperbole. You are more guilty of this than the worst journalist "

Not every journalist of course not. But as a "profession" the quality as a whole is very poor and heading in the wrong direction. It's the culture of the environments they work in. As has been evidenced especially in the performances on TV.

One only has to look at the disregard the media platforms have for taking responsibility... Where they all share content and all disclaim any responsibility for the clickbait they put out.

[Removed by poster at 08/04/21 16:33:27]

Very few of the Internet journalists appear to be able to spell....

upton wirral

"They are paid to ask the questions that people need explaining. Makes them look idiots but what does that say about the wider population?"

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

Bit of a reflection on most of the population

upton wirral

"Very few of the Internet journalists appear to be able to spell.... "
Very few internet journalists are real journalists they are bloggers discusting creatures I think

Tin town

"Very few of the Internet journalists appear to be able to spell.... Very few internet journalists are real journalists they are bloggers discusting creatures I think"

And that's the point.... A lot of what we see as 'news' is created and spread by content providers, lots of it is not attributed to any author or datelined. Its entertainment more than news or researched articles.

merseyside

"We have a friend who is a journalist. She is anything but thick.

Have fun.

Perfect, maybe you could ask her if she feels the quality of journalism is different to say 10 years ago especially regarding accuracy, responsibility, sensationalising and accountability. She would know. "

We had an incident in work which made the news so we bought most of the papers to take a look at what they said.

Not one got it completely correct, some more factual than others but all had their own slant.

Her opinion, it's a business like any other, you try to report the story as factually as possible but also understanding the bias of your customer base.

Journalists usually make great company, met some great characters working abroad.

Changing world though.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

They are sleaze balls prepared to twist and mould the truth to get more copy and make a name for themselves

Not one good to say about these evil buggers

Thick skinned rather than thick.

Tin town

My thoughts and these from a position of ignorance rather than knowledge.. For me "journalist" would generally imply someone who has studied and them worked their way up through the ranks of the profession... It would seem that of all the content that floats around the Internet and mobile devices.... Very little of it it sourced from profession journalists... There seems however to be a growing sub profession of content creators and social media influences ... Who have no qualifications other than a huge following, the ability to chum click bait, and being good looking. That content seems to be given the oxygen of clicks and forwards and likes and seems to dominate the thing we call news now.

merseyside

"They are sleaze balls prepared to twist and mould the truth to get more copy and make a name for themselves

Not one good to say about these evil buggers "

With the greatest of respect Tom, can I ask how many journalists you have actually met.

When I say met, either in a professional capacity or a social environment.

As the ones I've met have been friendly, chatty, quick witted, open, educated and incredibly good company.

Most are extremely proud of their work and very self effacing.

Just my experience, you may have had a different experience with your contact.

By *rman82Man  over a year ago

Manchester

They aren’t as thick as the people that believe what they write.

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

journalists are there to push a narrative or get a quote which they can bend to their will and sell headlines so the sheep among us can be lead. Most journalist have a different view to what they write as they need to please their editors as well as their readership in the political or social environment we live in.

Today news is tomorrow fish and chip paper.

Tin town

journalists are there to push a narrative or get a quote which they can bend to their will and sell headlines so the sheep among us can be lead. Most journalist have a different view to what they write as they need to please their editors as well as their readership in the political or social environment we live in.

Today news is tomorrow fish and chip paper.

"

Today news is tomorrow fish and chip paper...

Would that were true. Sadly most of the infotainment we digest now is on social media rather than printed pages... It has a longer shelf life than chip paper..

By *exmark12Man  over a year ago

Rathcoole/Roscommon/Mayo

They are thick as planks.....just want to create debate so they can be out in front Doing lots of damage

No, they’re generally pretty smart, qualified, engaged and with a high level of education.

One of the main things you need is for interviewees to actually respond in sentences so they can actually be quoted in print, or the comments used in radio/tv broadcasts etc. If the interviewee mumbles or gives short answers it’s often about trying to get them to say something coherent.

There can also be a need to repeat questions for a variety of other reasons:

- Interviewee simply didn’t answer the question;

- Interviewer needs it framed with their own voice to use on radio or tv;

- Govt set up is so poor that interviewers can’t hear each other so don’t know what has been said;

- They already have additional info and know for a fact interviewee isn’t answering the question fully or telling the truth.

Journalists play a vital role in a democracy, they need to be free to ask what can sometimes seem a daft question, to speak truth to power and to hold those in power to account. In that sense they’re performing a role for us because we can’t all be there to ask questions of our government ourselves.

So no, on the whole, they’re far from thick or lazy.

» Add a new message to this topic