FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > 246 fully vaccinated Michigan residents test positive for Covid and three die

246 fully vaccinated Michigan residents test positive for Covid and three die

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *entlemanrogue OP   Man  over a year ago

Motherwell

As reported in todays Independent, I am sure this story will be on other media as well.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

2 of the 3 that died had only had the vaccine less than 2 weeks prior so yes this is concerning but I don't think it's something we should be overly worried about at the moment.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Out of 1.7 million

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Vaccine is less than 100% effective. Vaccine takes some time to take effect.

While sad, this is normal.

"Out of 1.7 million"

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

The vaccine is not 100% so that's to be expected

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

"2 of the 3 that died had only had the vaccine less than 2 weeks prior so yes this is concerning but I don't think it's something we should be overly worried about at the moment."

This

The vaccine doesn't stop anyone from getting covid though?

"As reported in todays Independent, I am sure this story will be on other media as well."

The vaccine doesn’t stop you catching COVID, it should still you from getting seriously ill though

"As reported in todays Independent, I am sure this story will be on other media as well.

The vaccine doesn’t stop you catching COVID, it should still you from getting seriously ill though "

Stop

Manchester (she/her)

"The vaccine doesn't stop anyone from getting covid though? "

In the same way that the polio vaccine never stopped anyone getting polio, which is why iron lungs are still a thing and we all live in fear every summer

"As reported in todays Independent, I am sure this story will be on other media as well.

The vaccine doesn’t stop you catching COVID, it should still you from getting seriously ill though "

And The data coming from the UK regarding hospital admissions and deaths post vaccine in the over eighties is looking like that is highly likely to be a case.

You will always get people that will die as it isn't 100% affective.

Motherwell

"2 of the 3 that died had only had the vaccine less than 2 weeks prior so yes this is concerning but I don't think it's something we should be overly worried about at the moment."

I am not a worrier, just sharing some info.

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

Bloody doom and gloom again. Let's look at the positives for a change. The vaccine is making a huge difference, look at our low numbers here now, look at Israel.

Life is feeling more positive now than it has for over a year

"2 of the 3 that died had only had the vaccine less than 2 weeks prior so yes this is concerning but I don't think it's something we should be overly worried about at the moment.

I am not a worrier, just sharing some info."

I agree it is something that needs to be kept in eye on however when I read the story it's not quite as bad as the headline makes it sound.

Manchester (she/her)

It's funny how the people who are doom and gloom have changed

But the real story is 246 positive cases out of 1,700,000.

So on that data and data that has been banned about my the vaccine manufacturers. Looks like it dose stop transmission on a % no one ever said it stopped you catching it 100%.

By *rgasmickMan  over a year ago

Visting

Oh aren't these vaccines great

"Oh aren't these vaccines great "

Yes they absolutely are.

Yes the vaccine does stop you from catching COVID in the vast majority of people. Stop spreading misinformation .

This instance has happened because the people caught covid before the vaccine could take effect.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

What would be helpful to k ow for the vaccine hesitant is...

Of the infections, hospitalisations, deaths and percentage long covid sufferers.. How they have been affected by the vaccine...

So we can see clear evidence of the impact of the vaccine. We can see the numbers have come down a long way since January peaks.

Motherwell

"Bloody doom and gloom again. Let's look at the positives for a change. The vaccine is making a huge difference, look at our low numbers here now, look at Israel.

Life is feeling more positive now than it has for over a year "

Or if you are optimist like me, you may not think "Bloody doom.and gloom", rather it seems that we are in some cases getting honest information. which i know many people doubt.

Manchester (she/her)

"Oh aren't these vaccines great "

Absolutely

Bloody marvellous. Pandemic ending.

I love science

By *c69funCouple  over a year ago

chesterfield

"The vaccine doesn't stop anyone from getting covid though?

In the same way that the polio vaccine never stopped anyone getting polio, which is why iron lungs are still a thing and we all live in fear every summer "

There hasn't been a case of polio in the UK since the mid 80's .

Haven't heard anyone claim to be living in fear of it every summer other than yourself!

Possibly those who haven't being vaccinated against it do .

Manchester (she/her)

In the same way that the polio vaccine never stopped anyone getting polio, which is why iron lungs are still a thing and we all live in fear every summer

Haven't heard anyone claim to be living in fear of it every summer other than yourself!

Possibly those who haven't being vaccinated against it do . "

Nope, there hasn't. Because vaccination dealt with it.

But polio vaccination doesn't prevent infection with polio, which is why vaccine induced polio exists (which is cured by greater vaccine coverage, in part).

I'm as afraid of polio as I am of smallpox, which was globally eradicated before I was born. But the polio vaccine does not stop me getting polio. It was only developed to stop paralysis - like this "useless" Covid vaccine "only" stops hospitalisation and death in most people.

I've done my research

There will always be exceptions

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

It will be the job lot of over the wall vaccine that Trump bought before he got the boot.

Maybe they should try using AZ instead.

Just a thought.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

It's like shock horror elderly people and some who will also have lived with underlying health issues succumb as we all will do fingers crossed at a 'ripe old age'..

Who knew..

Manchester (she/her)

"It's like shock horror elderly people and some who will also have lived with underlying health issues succumb as we all will do fingers crossed at a 'ripe old age'..

Who knew.."

It's possible that they did also fail to be protected - but that doesn't mean that the vaccines aren't of enormous benefit.

Visting

"Oh aren't these vaccines great

Absolutely

I love science "

Their is a virus, but it's not a pandemic. If the people who have been jabbed get through next winter unscathed, then I will tend to agree with you. Time will tell.

in Lancashire

"It's like shock horror elderly people and some who will also have lived with underlying health issues succumb as we all will do fingers crossed at a 'ripe old age'..

Who knew..

It's possible that they did also fail to be protected - but that doesn't mean that the vaccines aren't of enormous benefit."

True, a simple one liner needs context..

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Whilst it is not good, all the vaccines does is to lower the symptoms, one can still get covid.

Manchester (she/her)

"Oh aren't these vaccines great

Absolutely

I love science

Their is a virus, but it's not a pandemic. If the people who have been jabbed get through next winter unscathed, then I will tend to agree with you. Time will tell."

How do you define pandemic and why is your definition more important than the official bodies?

More worrying is the news from Brazil, 4,000 dead in a day,infection rates through the roof,many different variations of virus. Starting to think ,that the last year was a drop in the ocean.

chesterfield

But polio vaccination doesn't prevent infection with polio, which is why vaccine induced polio exists (which is cured by greater vaccine coverage, in part).

I'm as afraid of polio as I am of smallpox, which was globally eradicated before I was born. But the polio vaccine does not stop me getting polio. It was only developed to stop paralysis - like this "useless" Covid vaccine "only" stops hospitalisation and death in most people.

I've done my research "

Well least you know now that not everyone lives their lives in fear of polio or in fact covid for that matter.

in Lancashire

"More worrying is the news from Brazil, 4,000 dead in a day,infection rates through the roof,many different variations of virus. Starting to think ,that the last year was a drop in the ocean. "

It's very bad news, deeply sad for the loved ones left behind..

Bolsanaro is off his trolley and they need to do something drastic as a country..

The P1 variant is out of control it appears in Brazil..

then why take a chance by getting the jab NO way until proven safe

Manchester (she/her)

The vaccine doesn’t stop you catching COVID, it should still you from getting seriously ill though then why take a chance by getting the jab NO way until proven safe"

Like the trials that have been done and approved by medical authorities all over the world?

Roll up your sleeve

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"As reported in todays Independent, I am sure this story will be on other media as well."
I am sure there is more to this story,probably ad covid before injection and or did not wait a couple of weeks after.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

Given the amount of time the vaccine needs to take effect I think there's a bit more to this.. Not overly concerned and I know this is an unpopular opinion but really it's collateral damage isn't it? Whilst we get the sadness of it.. This is a ' live' test we are a involved in so it's not a dress rehearsal :/

By *eorge JetsonMan  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Track it back. Find the news reports, look up the statements from Pfizer and the likes of who created these vaccinations.

Never hid anything, never lied to anyone. Came forward and very clearly said these Vaccinations are nothing more than a preventative measure.

You can still get it, transmit it, become ill from it, die from it.

Vaccination CANNOT stop covid-19. It heavily reduces the "LIKELIHOOD" of getting it. People question why even bother if it doesn't cure covid. Fact.... You CAN'T cure a virus, you adapt to it and prevent the severity of it. In mankind's history the only virus ever to be fully eradicated through preventative measures is smallpox.

Manchester (she/her)

Given the amount of time the vaccine needs to take effect I think there's a bit more to this.. Not overly concerned and I know this is an unpopular opinion but really it's collateral damage isn't it? Whilst we get the sadness of it.. This is a ' live' test we are a involved in so it's not a dress rehearsal :/ "

Or, everything in life carries risk. The risk of vaccination is generally tiny across a population. It's devastating for individuals, of course.

Compare the risk of the vaccine, across a population, to the risk of the disease. Of course we try to make vaccines better. But ultimately - you have two risk profiles. Pick one.

Manchester (she/her)

"Track it back. Find the news reports, look up the statements from Pfizer and the likes of who created these vaccinations.

Never hid anything, never lied to anyone. Came forward and very clearly said these Vaccinations are nothing more than a preventative measure.

Vaccination CANNOT stop covid-19. It heavily reduces the "LIKELIHOOD" of getting it. People question why even bother if it doesn't cure covid. Fact.... You CAN'T cure a virus, you adapt to it and prevent the severity of it. In mankind's history the only virus ever to be fully eradicated through preventative measures is smallpox.

"

... If you can't cure a virus, what happened to smallpox?

By *eorge JetsonMan  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

"Track it back. Find the news reports, look up the statements from Pfizer and the likes of who created these vaccinations.

... If you can't cure a virus, what happened to smallpox?"

Thats something I'd actually like to know, history has proven that smallpox has been fully eradicated, which apperently isnt the same as cured... but however mind baffling that is I honestly don't know. Maybe it's out there... Just waiting....

Manchester (she/her)

Thats something I'd actually like to know, history has proven that smallpox has been fully eradicated, which apperently isnt the same as cured... but however mind baffling that is I honestly don't know. Maybe it's out there... Just waiting.... "

My understanding is that vaccines reduce disease and transmission, some to the point where it's not contagious anymore.

Mass vaccination meant it couldn't spread. If it can't spread, it stops reproducing.

Which is the principle of herd immunity taken to an extreme conclusion - measles is 5-10x more contagious than Covid, and... where is it? In highly vaccinated populations - not a threat...

Visting

I've done my research

Well least you know now that not everyone lives their lives in fear of polio or in fact covid for that matter. "

Manchester (she/her)

I've done my research

Well least you know now that not everyone lives their lives in fear of polio or in fact covid for that matter. "

Point, missed

chesterfield

I've done my research

Well least you know now that not everyone lives their lives in fear of polio or in fact covid for that matter.

Point, missed "

Not at all, the point was that you were speaking on behalf of "everyone "when Not everyone lives in fear as you claimed.

By *ySweetLadyWoman  over a year ago

London

Israel and Chile both led on Covid jabs, so why is one back in lockdown?

One very important factor is that despite daily life returning almost completely to a pre-pandemic situation, with shops, hotels, concerts and cinemas open again in Israel, restrictions are still in place, such as the need for face masks outside the home and limits on gatherings indoors.

From what I heard a Chilean doctor say in an television interview, this was not what happened in Chile. Once things relaxed people started mixing in huge numbers without any precautions (ie. social distancing, face masks,etc.) and there was mass travelling within the country and this, together with new variants entering the country, has contributed in huge measure to the new wave that they are now experiencing which is overwhelming the health system and caused that strict lockdown measures have been put back in place.

Manchester (she/her)

"

One very important factor is that despite daily life returning almost completely to a pre-pandemic situation, with shops, hotels, concerts and cinemas open again in Israel, restrictions are still in place, such as the need for face masks outside the home and limits on gatherings indoors.

From what I heard a Chilean doctor say in an television interview, this was not what happened in Chile. Once things relaxed people started mixing in huge numbers without any precautions (ie. social distancing, face masks,etc.) and there was mass travelling within the country and this, together with new variants entering the country, has contributed in huge measure to the new wave that they are now experiencing which is overwhelming the health system and caused that strict lockdown measures have been put back in place."

Reuters (not sure if I can link) indicates that enough vaccines have been administered to vaccinate under 30% of Chile's population.

... Chile sees rise in cases with over 70% of population uncovered.

I'm not sure why that's surprising.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The vaccine doesn’t stop you catching COVID, it should still you from getting seriously ill though

Yes the vaccine does stop you from catching COVID in the vast majority of people. Stop spreading misinformation .

This instance has happened because the people caught covid before the vaccine could take effect."

Actually.... at the moment officially the Vaccine does not stop you from catching COVID... it “may” do that and it is something that is having further research done..... what the Vaccine does is mitigate the Severity of the illness you may get... i.e not put so many people in hospital and therefore lower deaths......

By *ajobMan  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

Thats something I'd actually like to know, history has proven that smallpox has been fully eradicated, which apperently isnt the same as cured... but however mind baffling that is I honestly don't know. Maybe it's out there... Just waiting....

My understanding is that vaccines reduce disease and transmission, some to the point where it's not contagious anymore.

Mass vaccination meant it couldn't spread. If it can't spread, it stops reproducing.

Which is the principle of herd immunity taken to an extreme conclusion - measles is 5-10x more contagious than Covid, and... where is it? In highly vaccinated populations - not a threat..."

I watched dr faucci talk bout the whole measles vaccination....yes its the modt contagious of em all but it was easy for herd immunity in the fact thst it is a very stable virus that has next to no mutations so vaccines worked very well through out the world....thats what he said

Correct me if I’m wrong ... but did I read polio , iron lung , and we live in fear every summer ha ffsake when was the last time you heard of an iron lung being used

Manchester (she/her)

Which is the principle of herd immunity taken to an extreme conclusion - measles is 5-10x more contagious than Covid, and... where is it? In highly vaccinated populations - not a threat...

I watched dr faucci talk bout the whole measles vaccination....yes its the modt contagious of em all but it was easy for herd immunity in the fact thst it is a very stable virus that has next to no mutations so vaccines worked very well through out the world....thats what he said"

It is interesting that measles hasn't mutated to evade. But herd immunity is difficult to maintain because it's so goddamn contagious. Vaccine uptake has to be really high. Most antivaxxer communities, the outbreak is measles.

I've not watched that particular thing, but - the less we spread Covid, the less it can mutate, and the better vaccines will protect us. Is my understanding. Obviously measles is a different subtype of virus to Covid and Covid comes with its own issues. (although I did hear something recently - polio in vaccinated people undoes some of the mutations that attenuate it... And yet vaccination still largely holds up, to the point where we're *this* close to eradication)

Manchester (she/her)

"Correct me if I’m wrong ... but did I read polio , iron lung , and we live in fear every summer ha ffsake when was the last time you heard of an iron lung being used "

That's exactly my bloody point

Polio vaccines don't prevent infection with polio. Covid vaccines don't prevent infection with Covid.

If Covid vaccines are useless because they don't prevent infection, why aren't polio vaccines useless?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

From what I heard a Chilean doctor say in an television interview, this was not what happened in Chile. Once things relaxed people started mixing in huge numbers without any precautions (ie. social distancing, face masks,etc.) and there was mass travelling within the country and this, together with new variants entering the country, has contributed in huge measure to the new wave that they are now experiencing which is overwhelming the health system and caused that strict lockdown measures have been put back in place."

It’s because the variant running amok in chile is the P1 “Brazilian” strain...... which seems to be more resistant

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

Think the people and health authorities in brazil need to take control from their president before more people die but also before the world isolates their country for being so reckless iver the infection

By *ajobMan  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

"

From what I heard a Chilean doctor say in an television interview, this was not what happened in Chile. Once things relaxed people started mixing in huge numbers without any precautions (ie. social distancing, face masks,etc.) and there was mass travelling within the country and this, together with new variants entering the country, has contributed in huge measure to the new wave that they are now experiencing which is overwhelming the health system and caused that strict lockdown measures have been put back in place.

It’s because the variant running amok in chile is the P1 “Brazilian” strain...... which seems to be more resistant "

And theyve been vaccinating everyone with the chinese vaccibe which has no international data about its effectivenss especoally with these other varients outside of the original type...so who knows there

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

I suppose another way of looking at that headline is how many would have died if none of them were vaccinated? We will never know but we do know that vaccinations are working.

Manchester (she/her)

"I suppose another way of looking at that headline is how many would have died if none of them were vaccinated? We will never know but we do know that vaccinations are working. "

I do know they did a Scottish study, where they estimated infection/hospitalisation/death without vaccination. It's startling.

By *fucksakeCouple  over a year ago

cuffilly

no vaccine is 100%

so a TINY percentage will not be covered.oeooke die everyday and some are dying because of non treatment of existing conditions.

covid is no longer the biggest cause of death in the uk .

By *fucksakeCouple  over a year ago

cuffilly

if people were offered a 5 star holiday for free .but had to have jabs their shirts would be off faster than a premier footballer scoring a goal .

stafford

"if people were offered a 5 star holiday for free .but had to have jabs their shirts would be off faster than a premier footballer scoring a goal ."

Absolutely correct.. There would be a stampede..! ??

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

You could vaccinate 1 billion today and all of them could get infected later this week.

It's all about context. Throwing some numbers around, without the valid contextual information, leaves you unable to deduce anything.

The vaccines are reducing severe illness and death and appear to reduce infections. None of them were approved anywhere on the basis of immediate, full immunity.

If uncertain, read the published scientific research, rather than opt for media coverage

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I'd rather give myself a chance of surviving.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

No people are the same.

One year, lots of my family who I had been in contact with got a bad winter virus. I didn't get it.

Our immune systems react differently to foreign bodies inside us.

I'll take a vaccine that will give me a better chance of surviving a virus.

By *08428Man  over a year ago

Shaftesbury

So many on fab believe it will be safe to meet once had 2 jabs,Really! It will always be like Russian roulette just like sexual infections, hiv etc, it will never be safe. Be safe first, fun 2nd.

By *oubleswing2019Couple  over a year ago

Colchester

"So many on fab believe it will be safe to meet once had 2 jabs,Really! It will always be like Russian roulette just like sexual infections, hiv etc, it will never be safe. Be safe first, fun 2nd."

Absolutely and completely correct. It will become another virus that people in the lifestyle will have to decide how they wish to mitigate against. Mitigation options are quite limited at this moment in time.

After all, you can take certain preventative measures to reduce the risk from STD's but none of these measures will work against Covid-19, period.

Choices are going to be have to be made, and some folks will realise that whilst their "activities" may be private and personal, coming home and giving Covid-19 to their kids, elderly parents and friends may be too high a price for the lifestyle.

"So many on fab believe it will be safe to meet once had 2 jabs,Really! It will always be like Russian roulette just like sexual infections, hiv etc, it will never be safe. Be safe first, fun 2nd.

Absolutely and completely correct. It will become another virus that people in the lifestyle will have to decide how they wish to mitigate against. Mitigation options are quite limited at this moment in time.

After all, you can take certain preventative measures to reduce the risk from STD's but none of these measures will work against Covid-19, period.

Choices are going to be have to be made, and some folks will realise that whilst their "activities" may be private and personal, coming home and giving Covid-19 to their kids, elderly parents and friends may be too high a price for the lifestyle.

"

I've done my research "

You’ve done poor research because none of what you said is true

Manchester (she/her)

I've done my research

You’ve done poor research because none of what you said is true "

CDC "Polio Disease and Poliovírus"

"Inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) protects people against all three types of poliovirus. IPV does not contain live virus, so people who receive this vaccine do not shed the virus and cannot infect others, and the vaccine cannot cause disease. IPV does not stop transmission of the virus."

WHO Europe, Poliomyelitis (polio) and the vaccines used to eradicate it – questions and answers

"IPV produces antibodies in the blood to all three types of poliovirus. In the event of infection, these antibodies prevent the spread of the virus to the central nervous system and protect against paralysis. In this way, IPV prevents infection, but it does not stop transmission of the virus."

stafford

"So many on fab believe it will be safe to meet once had 2 jabs,Really! It will always be like Russian roulette just like sexual infections, hiv etc, it will never be safe. Be safe first, fun 2nd."

Not only that.. Some people out in Fabland seem to think that when the pubs re open in a few days Covid is over and are already planning to meet outdoors for dogging or just sneaky meets with another couple in the garden.. that's when the real trouble to work out what is allowed or not allowed will I think....

Manchester (she/her)

Further

Impact of inactivated poliovirus vaccine on mucosal immunity: implications for the polio eradication endgame, Expert View of Vaccines, Parker et al, 2015

"A major concern with transitioning from OPV to IPV is the limited intestinal mucosal immunity provided by the latter. By failing to halt poliovirus replication in the gut mucosa, the use of IPV may enable fecal–oral transmission to continue – a scenario at odds with the eradication endgame"

OPV (which provides additional protection in this way) has not been given in the UK since 2004.

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

Some scaremongering going on again

By *aralewisCouple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

My issue with this vaccine isn’t short term but what effects it would have long term

As no body knows how safe it is

When other eu countries said it wasn’t safe out media companies and vaccine companies said it was till uk got some cases

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"My issue with this vaccine isn’t short term but what effects it would have long term

When other eu countries said it wasn’t safe out media companies and vaccine companies said it was till uk got some cases

"

It's all relative though. By all accounts, these vaccines are actually considerably safer than many mainstream medications which millions take on a daily basis.

Also, these vaccines have already demonstrated their worth through the reduced numbers of people being admitted to hospitals with Corona (especially in the over 70's groups).

Cal

By *nvincible ButterflyWoman  over a year ago

LEEDS

The vaccine doesn't stop you catching it... It just reduces your chances significantly from getting really ill.

That's why we are now all testing ourselves twice weekly.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"My issue with this vaccine isn’t short term but what effects it would have long term

"

The longer-term implications are that fewer will have died, which we are already seeing with reduced deaths per day. The range of vaccines that we have reduce the severity of the illness and prevent death, with high levels of efficacy.

By *omino51Man  over a year ago

loughborough

Do you think i can get Furloughed after September for Polio? Im begining to enjoy the extended break? I know i shouldnt before you all have a go at me. But ive paid taxes for over 40 years, its lovely getting a wee rebate.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Like all medicines, no vaccine is completely effective, so you should continue to take recommended precautions to avoid infection. Some people may still get COVID-19 despite having a vaccination, but this should be less severe

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

People simply don't get maths and especially probability.

They also assume a vacinne is like a shield that stops you getting a virus.

Its not a sheild that blocks infection it is a teaching tool for your bodies own immune system.

You will catch it but your body will be quicker to recognise it and know what battery of counter measures to deploy.

But we are all different so some bodies will learn better than others.

If you get infected before the body has been able to teach its own defenses then vacinne or no vacinne your body will be fighting covid as though it is the first time.

In the same way that the polio vaccine never stopped anyone getting polio, which is why iron lungs are still a thing and we all live in fear every summer "

I don't

"People simply don't get maths and especially probability.

Its not a sheild that blocks infection it is a teaching tool for your bodies own immune system.

You will catch it but your body will be quicker to recognise it and know what battery of counter measures to deploy.

If you get infected before the body has been able to teach its own defenses then vacinne or no vacinne your body will be fighting covid as though it is the first time. "

Oh maths....!

It's 70% effective (for example).

Screeches of horror when 2% are affected.

.....Can't add up to 100.

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

"People simply don't get maths and especially probability.

If you get infected before the body has been able to teach its own defenses then vacinne or no vacinne your body will be fighting covid as though it is the first time.

Oh maths....!

It's 70% effective (for example).

Screeches of horror when 2% are affected.

.....Can't add up to 100. "

Exactly, even at 99% effectiveness that would still mean 1 in 100 getting a viral load high enough to be deemed as having caught it.

The key bit is that viral load whilst high enough to be detected will still be lower than you would have had without a vacinne, therefore it has a huge effect on the severity, which is what is important.

No one cares about the common cold transmission as severity is low. If vacinnes reduce severity then any minimal transmission that then occurs is not of concern.

By *uffolksubWoman  over a year ago

Brandon

I believe that the trials for the vaccines showed efficacy levels as high as 95% (happy to be corrected, I researched this some time ago). Based on this 1.7 million vaccinated, that would mean that the vaccine would fail to be effective in 85,000 of patients. Therefore in my eyes, 246 is a pretty good statistical result.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I believe that the trials for the vaccines showed efficacy levels as high as 95% (happy to be corrected, I researched this some time ago). Based on this 1.7 million vaccinated, that would mean that the vaccine would fail to be effective in 85,000 of patients. Therefore in my eyes, 246 is a pretty good statistical result. "

Yes, and this data is based mainly on people under 65, who made up the majority of study participants. The efficacy in elderly people will probably be a fair bit lower due to their weaker immune system. Some data is starting to come out now about this.

By *uffolksubWoman  over a year ago

Brandon

"I believe that the trials for the vaccines showed efficacy levels as high as 95% (happy to be corrected, I researched this some time ago). Based on this 1.7 million vaccinated, that would mean that the vaccine would fail to be effective in 85,000 of patients. Therefore in my eyes, 246 is a pretty good statistical result.

Yes, and this data is based mainly on people under 65, who made up the majority of study participants. The efficacy in elderly people will probably be a fair bit lower due to their weaker immune system. Some data is starting to come out now about this."

Thank you, it will certainly be interesting to see this data when it’s available

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I believe that the trials for the vaccines showed efficacy levels as high as 95% (happy to be corrected, I researched this some time ago). Based on this 1.7 million vaccinated, that would mean that the vaccine would fail to be effective in 85,000 of patients. Therefore in my eyes, 246 is a pretty good statistical result.

Yes, and this data is based mainly on people under 65, who made up the majority of study participants. The efficacy in elderly people will probably be a fair bit lower due to their weaker immune system. Some data is starting to come out now about this.

Thank you, it will certainly be interesting to see this data when it’s available "

Check out Table 4 within the pre-print article of the Imperial College REACT study, which shows antibody positivity by age group, after 1 vaccine and also after 2 doses, but the numbers in the second group (2 doses) were very small.

Article: REACT-2 Round 5: increasing prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies demonstrate impact of the second wave and of vaccine roll-out in England

By *tarbeckCouple  over a year ago

york

"Bloody doom and gloom again. Let's look at the positives for a change. The vaccine is making a huge difference, look at our low numbers here now, look at Israel.

Life is feeling more positive now than it has for over a year "

By *rNightMan  over a year ago

Coventry

Posts/stories like these are so irresponsible. Nobody claims the vaccines are 100% effective and they actually take time to become effective. Thus just fuels the scare brigade & makes fighting the vaccine even harder

» Add a new message to this topic