Anybody doing a home antibody test? I'm quite excited to see what it shows

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ndy79randyMan  over a year ago

Washington

I've had my 1st injection today

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

They're not terribly accurate (the home antibody tests), that's the issue. Is it one you prickly your finger and do? Do you have to send a sample to the lab or is it something that gives "instant" results?

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"They're not terribly accurate (the home antibody tests), that's the issue. Is it one you prickly your finger and do? Do you have to send a sample to the lab or is it something that gives "instant" results?"

I think it's a prick your finger and send to the lab one ... I've got a few containers in the box

Washington

My partner takes A swab test every 3 days for work

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"My partner takes A swab test every 3 days for work "

Symptom or antibody test?

North West

"They're not terribly accurate (the home antibody tests), that's the issue. Is it one you prickly your finger and do? Do you have to send a sample to the lab or is it something that gives "instant" results?

I think it's a prick your finger and send to the lab one ... I've got a few containers in the box "

I did one of these which came back negative, but an NHS venipuncture antibody test was positive. I had Covid symptoms months before the first (home) test and not in between the two, so I believe the home test was false negative. The general accuracy of them isn't the best unfortunately.

By *ilfbonaMan  over a year ago

birmingham

Swab test?

I wish I’d done an antibody test pre vaccine.

Absolutely no point now though.

I had covid March last year... suffered with long covid and only in the last few months have I felt more myself.

I would have been interested in what my antibody count was pre-vaccine.

On another note though, I had no vaccine symptoms after my first dose of Oxford/AZ and research is suggesting that it you’ve already had COVID then you don’t react to it.... food for thought after reading people’s experiences of vaccines

North West

"I wish I’d done an antibody test pre vaccine.

I had covid March last year... suffered with long covid and only in the last few months have I felt more myself.

On another note though, I had no vaccine symptoms after my first dose of Oxford/AZ and research is suggesting that it you’ve already had COVID then you don’t react to it.... food for thought after reading people’s experiences of vaccines "

See, I definitely had Covid because my NHS antibody test was positive but I had no side effects from my Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine either. Weird

On another note though, I had no vaccine symptoms after my first dose of Oxford/AZ and research is suggesting that it you’ve already had COVID then you don’t react to it.... food for thought after reading people’s experiences of vaccines

See, I definitely had Covid because my NHS antibody test was positive but I had no side effects from my Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine either. Weird "

I don’t thinks it’s weird... it’s science.

If you’ve already had it then you will have natural antibodies.

I’m intrigued how long the natural antibodies would have stayed strong vs the vaccine antibodies. I guess there’s a trial somewhere but we’ll have to wait for the findings x

By *atenaWoman  over a year ago

Hyde

Would be pointless....

Had jab one and also had Covid!!

Caught it 2 weeks and 2 days after jab 1

North West

See, I definitely had Covid because my NHS antibody test was positive but I had no side effects from my Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine either. Weird

I don’t thinks it’s weird... it’s science.

If you’ve already had it then you will have natural antibodies.

I’m intrigued how long the natural antibodies would have stayed strong vs the vaccine antibodies. I guess there’s a trial somewhere but we’ll have to wait for the findings x"

There's data suggesting people with previous Covid infection make stronger immune responses to the vaccine because it acts like a booster, but I suppose because you skip the initial inflammatory response and go straight to the humoral immunity, that might explain the fewer effects.

Washington

"My partner takes A swab test every 3 days for work

Symptom or antibody test?"

Test for work

North West

"My partner takes A swab test every 3 days for work

Symptom or antibody test?

Test for work "

That would be an antigen test for current Covid infection. What the OP is referring to is a blood test to look for prior infection (Covid antibodies).

"Would be pointless....

Caught it 2 weeks and 2 days after jab 1"

How was your experience of COVID Post vaccine?

[Removed by poster at 11/04/21 01:26:16]

I'm taking part in the ONS study for both infection and antibodies. Have only just started the monthly antibody tests though

By *atenaWoman  over a year ago

Hyde

"Would be pointless....

How was your experience of COVID Post vaccine? "

I lost smell and taste , headache and was tired .... but I count myself as lucky with no major side affects

Recovered quickly enough

"Would be pointless....

How was your experience of COVID Post vaccine?

I lost smell and taste , headache and was tired .... but I count myself as lucky with no major side affects

Recovered quickly enough "

Still no smell 3 months later. Massive fatigue.. Blood clot developed before i even had first vaccine from being laid up in bed for 3 weeks. Heart and lung issues..My body has taken a battering. Did have pre-existing issues though.

By *urls and DressesWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I had the antibody test in December and came back negative which surprised me.

I was one of the very few at work who didn’t catch it, even worked with someone who kindly coughed in my face declaring it was a chest infection to then find it was covid . Still didn’t catch it.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"I had the antibody test in December and came back negative which surprised me.

I was one of the very few at work who didn’t catch it, even worked with someone who kindly coughed in my face declaring it was a chest infection to then find it was covid . Still didn’t catch it."

Some people are naturally immune to it and that will be another test study in the future

See, I definitely had Covid because my NHS antibody test was positive but I had no side effects from my Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine either. Weird "

Thats interesting because we both had it last April and both have had no side affects at all from the Mrs Pfizer vaccine and the Mr oxford vaccine.

On another note though, I had no vaccine symptoms after my first dose of Oxford/AZ and research is suggesting that it you’ve already had COVID then you don’t react to it.... food for thought after reading people’s experiences of vaccines "

That is interesting.. I am convinced i had it the Nov/Dec before it became big news in the Feb.

I also had no reaction to the Oxford jab

.. So will be interesting to see if they find antibodies!

North West

That is interesting.. I am convinced i had it the Nov/Dec before it became big news in the Feb.

.. So will be interesting to see if they find antibodies! "

If you've had the Oxford vaccine and the test shows no antibodies, you know the test is defective, more than likely. Very few people will make no immune response to the vaccine.

If you've had the Oxford vaccine and the test shows no antibodies, you know the test is defective, more than likely. Very few people will make no immune response to the vaccine."

I wonder why they want me to take it then if I've had the vac... Hmmm

North West

If you've had the Oxford vaccine and the test shows no antibodies, you know the test is defective, more than likely. Very few people will make no immune response to the vaccine.

I wonder why they want me to take it then if I've had the vac... Hmmm"

Who asked you to take the antibody test?

By *alldarksurreyMan  over a year ago

surrey

If you have already had covid and recovered then there is no point in having a vaccine because your immune system has already created antibodies

North West

"If you have already had covid and recovered then there is no point in having a vaccine because your immune system has already created antibodies "

It's unclear how long these persist so having the vaccine will boost any natural immunity and obviously you would then have good immunity for a decent period from the vaccine. How long that persists too is unclear, but at least 6 months is certain from the data collected.

"

Who asked you to take the antibody test?"

I'm part of a lifelong study of the population... I have to fill in regular questionnaires and this is one if their latest projects.. The anonymised results go into some study that is being run

North West

"

I'm part of a lifelong study of the population... I have to fill in regular questionnaires and this is one if their latest projects.. The anonymised results go into some study that is being run"

Ah that makes sense. I think at this point they're just tracking how many are antibody positive and it doesn't matter how (natural vs vaccine). I was part of the UK Biobank study doing antibody studies from April to December 2020 then it stopped.

"

I'm part of a lifelong study of the population... I have to fill in regular questionnaires and this is one if their latest projects.. The anonymised results go into some study that is being run

Ah that makes sense. I think at this point they're just tracking how many are antibody positive and it doesn't matter how (natural vs vaccine). I was part of the UK Biobank study doing antibody studies from April to December 2020 then it stopped."

Oh that makes sense... I'm disappointed not to know if i had them pre vaccine lol.. Hey ho

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"

Ah that makes sense. I think at this point they're just tracking how many are antibody positive and it doesn't matter how (natural vs vaccine). I was part of the UK Biobank study doing antibody studies from April to December 2020 then it stopped."

The Biobank has restarted, I volunteered last time, but that study..which I guess is the one you were part of, was full. I got an email a couple of weeks ago asking if I wanted to do it, so I did. Quick blood test & yes I was +ve having had covid & 1 jab.

North West

"

Ah that makes sense. I think at this point they're just tracking how many are antibody positive and it doesn't matter how (natural vs vaccine). I was part of the UK Biobank study doing antibody studies from April to December 2020 then it stopped.

The Biobank has restarted, I volunteered last time, but that study..which I guess is the one you were part of, was full. I got an email a couple of weeks ago asking if I wanted to do it, so I did. Quick blood test & yes I was +ve having had covid & 1 jab."

They said they'd periodically ask for samples from random participants in the future, so I await possible further requests!

By *bo7118Man  over a year ago

Birmingham

I had covid in Feb 2021 (had a positive result from a PCR test). Took me two weeks to get over the worst of the symptoms.

I had the AZ vaccine a couple of weeks ago and felt terrible the day after the jab. But now ok.

I was told by the nurse to expect a reaction as I'd had covid recently.

"

The Biobank has restarted, I volunteered last time, but that study..which I guess is the one you were part of, was full. I got an email a couple of weeks ago asking if I wanted to do it, so I did. Quick blood test & yes I was +ve having had covid & 1 jab.

They said they'd periodically ask for samples from random participants in the future, so I await possible further requests!"

I did that research study too, they said they might be asking for one more blood test didn’t they?

North West

"

They said they'd periodically ask for samples from random participants in the future, so I await possible further requests!

I did that research study too, they said they might be asking for one more blood test didn’t they? "

Yes, I think that's what the last email said

I've just participated in a research test for UK Biobank. I've had a first jab in Feb and the test did show I had antibodies. Was sent kit through the post. Took just a few mins to complete and wait 20 mins for results which I then had to post online. So I presume the jab has done its job

» Add a new message to this topic