FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Get vaccine or be redeployed

Get vaccine or be redeployed

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

I was interested to see this story about the sainted Jacinda Arden. Couldn't help wondering how it would go down here...

Ardern tells New Zealand border staff: get Covid vaccine now or be redeployed

Prime minister’s comments come after border worker diagnosed last week said to have missed two vaccine appointments

There's more detail at this link. What's even more interesting is the fact they have so few cases that they can be talking specifically about the links between 3 cases they've had this month! Kudos to them.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/12/ardern-new-zealand-border-staff-covid-vaccine

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I was interested to see this story about the sainted Jacinda Arden. Couldn't help wondering how it would go down here...

Prime minister’s comments come after border worker diagnosed last week said to have missed two vaccine appointments

There's more detail at this link. What's even more interesting is the fact they have so few cases that they can be talking specifically about the links between 3 cases they've had this month! Kudos to them.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/12/ardern-new-zealand-border-staff-covid-vaccine

"

Seems fair enough

Stinks of fascism

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

It stinks of common sense. No pussy footing around with Jacinda. She just gets the job done

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

"It stinks of common sense. No pussy footing around with Jacinda. She just gets the job done"

"Stinks of fascism "

You do know the definition of fascism?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I like it and think most reasonable people will too. I'd give staff paid time off to get vaccinated, if they were struggling

Tin town

"I like it and think most reasonable people will too. I'd give staff paid time off to get vaccinated, if they were struggling "

In the article it's saying they aren't vaccine hesitant but logistics have gone against them...if they can't get it done they will need to find a different role.

By *urjonMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

Seems Jacinda Arden is missing vital scientific data:

The border worker who has now has 'tested positive' will now, when safe to return to work, have their own anti-bodies so will have natural immunity.

Being vaccinated sadly doesn't stop someone being contagious so all the vaccinated border workers can still spread to others unfortunately.

If Ms Arden instead insists on regular testing for her border staff well that's completely different kettle of fish.

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"Stinks of fascism "

Yeah that infamous fascist regime New Zealand

"Stinks of fascism

Yeah that infamous fascist regime New Zealand "

Maybe we are just fed the news they want us to hear

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"I was interested to see this story about the sainted Jacinda Arden. Couldn't help wondering how it would go down here...

"

Arden arguably has a better idea of how to run a country than most of the rest..

Clearly sees Covid as a personal battle which she has been winning pretty much most of the time.

They are doing a better job than most other countries of keeping a lid on Covid

If they now think that this is the way forward.. Given the size of the population I'd say unless there are proven reasons of a medical nature for not doing what everyone else is doing then everyone needs to get on with it..

She is to intelligence, compassion and leadership as some of history's greatest generals.. Boris's is more like Mr Gumby by comparison!

I'd swap NZ for UK right now as a place to live in a heartbeat quite honestly!

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Stinks of fascism "

Is it fascist that medical and dental professionals have to be immunised against hepatitis B?

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"

I dont see anything wrong with this... when I took my new Job it was made clear that I'd have to have the vaccine

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It stinks of common sense. No pussy footing around with Jacinda. She just gets the job done"

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"Stinks of fascism "

Kind of a small minded response in my opinion..

How does fascism fit in with a country that has virtually eliminated Covid and offers a great standard of living and decent prospects to its inhabitants?

I would say sometimes other people do actually know what's better for you than you do and maybe then it's time to listen to them instead of rejecting things..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

I knew she reminded me of someone else, she's a spitting image of Mussolini..

Her empathy, humanity, decency and common sense she has portrayed is obviously a ploy..

By *obbie BelleTV/TS  over a year ago

Preston, Lancaster, Blackpool

"Stinks of fascism "

I thought as much. There rugby team is the All Blackshirts.

Bollocks!

By *revaunanceCouple  over a year ago

Exeter

The NZ border and immigration staff were prioritised in the first wave of vaccinations. Given the fact that as an Island nation they have chosen to enforce their borders, it makes sense that the very people dealing with people coming to the country are immunised.

The most likely source of infection in NZ is from someone arriving from elsewhere. It's true that immunisation doesn't stop you catching or transmitting the disease, but it does reduce the risk to yourself. So it makes perfect sense to redeploy staff who are not immunised to areas where they will have less contact with potentially infectious people.

Tin town

"The NZ border and immigration staff were prioritised in the first wave of vaccinations. Given the fact that as an Island nation they have chosen to enforce their borders, it makes sense that the very people dealing with people coming to the country are immunised.

The most likely source of infection in NZ is from someone arriving from elsewhere. It's true that immunisation doesn't stop you catching or transmitting the disease, but it does reduce the risk to yourself. So it makes perfect sense to redeploy staff who are not immunised to areas where they will have less contact with potentially infectious people."

It makes perfect sense to me. My point wasn't so much, the wisdom of the policy, as comparing the reactions were we to attempt similar here, and now. Imagining the uproar and the gnashing of teeth as we strip away people's freedoms, demonising the policy and the decision and throwing the ubiquitous discrimination card in for good measure.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"

Sounds good a great leader but if that happened here there would be protests and strikes.

She is the New Zealand Thatcher it is what we need.

The British would rather kill and damage others and maybe themselves rather than lose freedoms and leaders to bloody soft to change this

Sounds good a great leader but if that happened here there would be protests and strikes.

She is the New Zealand Thatcher it is what we need.

The British would rather kill and damage others and maybe themselves rather than lose freedoms and leaders to bloody soft to change this"

Yes her similarity to Thatcher is uncanny

Manchester (she/her)

"The NZ border and immigration staff were prioritised in the first wave of vaccinations. Given the fact that as an Island nation they have chosen to enforce their borders, it makes sense that the very people dealing with people coming to the country are immunised.

The most likely source of infection in NZ is from someone arriving from elsewhere. It's true that immunisation doesn't stop you catching or transmitting the disease, but it does reduce the risk to yourself. So it makes perfect sense to redeploy staff who are not immunised to areas where they will have less contact with potentially infectious people.

It makes perfect sense to me. My point wasn't so much, the wisdom of the policy, as comparing the reactions were we to attempt similar here, and now. Imagining the uproar and the gnashing of teeth as we strip away people's freedoms, demonising the policy and the decision and throwing the ubiquitous discrimination card in for good measure. "

The differences are fascinating to me.

I'm no longer surprised, but this time last year I did not see it coming.

Despite being an Island Nation, we didn't shut our borders. If we had done so at the same time New Zealand did, we may have been in a different situation.

I'm not blaming Europe but I would say that if we had restricted the freedom of movement of EU citizens during the Transition out of the EU, we would have got a kicking from the EU.

If we had done it anyway, then we would have got a kicking for putting a hard border between NI and the Republic.

Leaving that border free would have left us dependant on Ireland closing it's borders, which they couldn't for any sustainable period of time as an EU member.

In any event, we didn't restrict travel enough, or early enough to avoid the situation we are in now.

(This is only my opinion and I'm not saying I know how to resolve the situation).

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"Seems Jacinda Arden is missing vital scientific data:

The border worker who has now has 'tested positive' will now, when safe to return to work, have their own anti-bodies so will have natural immunity.

Being vaccinated sadly doesn't stop someone being contagious so all the vaccinated border workers can still spread to others unfortunately.

If Ms Arden instead insists on regular testing for her border staff well that's completely different kettle of fish.

"

Actually once fully vaccinated the likelihood of being a contagious vector of this virus is diminishingly small. Its a fact played down because the experts are concerned about the possibility of new variants and they don’t want those who have been vaccinated becoming complacent and ignoring the rules. The more people who are seen ignoring the rules the weaker compliance becomes in those still waiting on their jabs.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"Despite being an Island Nation, we didn't shut our borders. If we had done so at the same time New Zealand did, we may have been in a different situation.

I'm not blaming Europe but I would say that if we had restricted the freedom of movement of EU citizens during the Transition out of the EU, we would have got a kicking from the EU.

If we had done it anyway, then we would have got a kicking for putting a hard border between NI and the Republic.

Leaving that border free would have left us dependant on Ireland closing it's borders, which they couldn't for any sustainable period of time as an EU member.

In any event, we didn't restrict travel enough, or early enough to avoid the situation we are in now.

(This is only my opinion and I'm not saying I know how to resolve the situation)."

When NZ closed the boarder it was already far too late for the UK, we already had the case number ten days later of 20,000 baked in. Given the limited testing at that time when NZ closed the boarder the UK easily had well in excess of 50,000 people infected and spreading the virus within our communities.

Manchester (she/her)

"Despite being an Island Nation, we didn't shut our borders. If we had done so at the same time New Zealand did, we may have been in a different situation.

(This is only my opinion and I'm not saying I know how to resolve the situation).

When NZ closed the boarder it was already far too late for the UK, we already had the case number ten days later of 20,000 baked in. Given the limited testing at that time when NZ closed the boarder the UK easily had well in excess of 50,000 people infected and spreading the virus within our communities. "

Imagine if we'd only had 50k or 100k infections total, though. What that would have saved in human misery and the economy.

Tin town

(This is only my opinion and I'm not saying I know how to resolve the situation)."

Agreed... Thing is we still haven't restricted travel enough or manage those arriving well enough. I mean... How the fuck does a new variant from South africa show up in lambeth?

Tin town

When NZ closed the boarder it was already far too late for the UK, we already had the case number ten days later of 20,000 baked in. Given the limited testing at that time when NZ closed the boarder the UK easily had well in excess of 50,000 people infected and spreading the virus within our communities.

Imagine if we'd only had 50k or 100k infections total, though. What that would have saved in human misery and the economy."

But Rupert and Chelsea want their ski holiday so fuck locking the borders.

Lets not also forget the scale... Not excusing how shit we were for the first 9 months... But I think there's something like a 20th of the flights in and out of nz.... It was possible... We should have done it... But perhaps the scale was a reason?

Manchester (she/her)

Imagine if we'd only had 50k or 100k infections total, though. What that would have saved in human misery and the economy.

Lets not also forget the scale... Not excusing how shit we were for the first 9 months... But I think there's something like a 20th of the flights in and out of nz.... It was possible... We should have done it... But perhaps the scale was a reason? "

Maybe but we should have done it nonetheless.

Tin town

Lets not also forget the scale... Not excusing how shit we were for the first 9 months... But I think there's something like a 20th of the flights in and out of nz.... It was possible... We should have done it... But perhaps the scale was a reason?

Maybe but we should have done it nonetheless."

We should... We pretty much all knew it... Apart from the ones who were still flying off and booking holidays... Oh and the Cobra team...

Manchester (she/her)

We should... We pretty much all knew it... Apart from the ones who were still flying off and booking holidays... Oh and the Cobra team... "

13 months ago, the global sources I was listening to basically had the universal message of "wtf UK "

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

"But Rupert and Chelsea want their ski holiday so fuck locking the borders.

We should... We pretty much all knew it... Apart from the ones who were still flying off and booking holidays... Oh and the Cobra team... "

So many things we "couldn't justify" and ended up having to do anyway after we had no choice, with far worse consequences. But we've learnt those lessons finally. right? ... Right?

Manchester (she/her)

We should... We pretty much all knew it... Apart from the ones who were still flying off and booking holidays... Oh and the Cobra team...

So many things we "couldn't justify" and ended up having to do anyway after we had no choice, with far worse consequences. But we've learnt those lessons finally. right? ... Right?"

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

"Stinks of fascism "

Or just thoughtful common sense maybe

Tin town

So many things we "couldn't justify" and ended up having to do anyway after we had no choice, with far worse consequences. But we've learnt those lessons finally. right? ... Right?"

Yes I mean opening the boozers and letting fans into stadia... What could go wrong.?

» Add a new message to this topic