FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Musing about covid 19 a year on

Musing about covid 19 a year on

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I've just been reading back on some old comments I made both on forums and to friends and realised that I really underestimated this whole thing.

I'd been in Italy and then Malta when things had started to get a bit iffy but when I came back and thought I was going to have to isolate .. I did a big shop etc. ( in the end this turned out to have been just before they shops all went mad)

Even then I was sure by the summer we would be looking back and thinking that was mad.

However I had expected a total lock down like my brother was experiencing. ( hes in Western Australia) and my emails between my brother and I were about why we weren't being stricter but still I had expected to be able to attend his wedding that happened in Jan 2021 ( I had to watch on zoom, although his wedding was free of all restrictions... I just couldn't go )

So a year ago.. were you full of doom... optimism ( anyone that knows me knows I always try to be the optimist) or something else.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

I was pretty clueless tbh.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

This time last year, I was afraid but cautiously optimistic. I was learning about virology etc, getting my head around it.

After a slow start, the nation felt united. Let's do this thing. An outpouring of community service and a high level of adherence.

I had to decide whether to try to go back to my family in Australia or maintain my indefinite UK residence, and the decision tore at my heart.

I had no sense of a timeline for this.

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"This time last year, I was afraid but cautiously optimistic. I was learning about virology etc, getting my head around it.

After a slow start, the nation felt united. Let's do this thing. An outpouring of community service and a high level of adherence.

I had to decide whether to try to go back to my family in Australia or maintain my indefinite UK residence, and the decision tore at my heart.

I had no sense of a timeline for this."

Yes I was also learning lots about virology and arming myself with as much info as I could.. xx it was nice this time last year as everyone was trying to help each other.. didn't last long though

Manchester (she/her)

"This time last year, I was afraid but cautiously optimistic. I was learning about virology etc, getting my head around it.

I had no sense of a timeline for this.

Yes I was also learning lots about virology and arming myself with as much info as I could.. xx it was nice this time last year as everyone was trying to help each other.. didn't last long though "

Indeed not

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

I was grumpy about not being able to do my job, although working from home doing something different meant I could run or cycle before signing on the laptop, lunch with my wife was good, but I do recall being concerned about shopping & proximity to other people...but oddly still not really thinking 12 months later we would still be in the situation we are.

Manchester (she/her)

My voluntary work has increased many times over. This time last year we had so much energy and went above and beyond.

The need has diminished very little. The volunteers available have diminished significantly.

We're tired.

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

If I'm honest I was scared but learnt as much as I could to understand what was coming. I don't think I ever expected life to get back to normal until last autumn (if only that had been the case!). In my job I saw 1st hand the huge impact this was having and it made me emotional.

I remember thinking working from home was great but soon realised how isolating it was which is why I joined the vaccination team locally.

As a family we suffered a lot of loss as did many of our friends. I'm a serial hugger and struggled not being able to comfort people.

Life feels much more positive now but, in short, like many others I didn't think it would go on this long

By *revaunanceCouple  over a year ago

Exeter

We realised that there would be a long game to be played, a year or two. But we never appreciated that the planet would be stuck with this thing for years, possibly forever.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Thirteen months ago I was running the calculations on exponential spread of the virus. Somewhere in the fab archives will be my first posts on the subject. I was starting to rant about the lax measures and unbelievably bad decisions being made by our government. My recollection is that mainly people were variously telling me that I was crazy, unable to do arithmetic, a total scaredy wuss and deluded.

I watched with increasing dread and horror as the government firstly just ignored the dangers then treated it as some kind of joke. BJ shaking hands with sick people in a hospital. Johnson senior making pronouncements about it being every Englishman's divine right to go to the pub during a pandemic.

I watched New Zealand respond rapidly in closing their borders and imposing biosecurity measures - NZ swingers have been able to party pretty well continuously for the last twelve months.

I saw our government declaring that it was impossible to close borders, that it would cost too much to cancel air flights and compensate people for their lost journeys. That football was just too important and tens of thousands of people absolutely must be allowed, even encouraged, to cram into stadiums, pass a horrendously contagious disease around, and then travel it to all corners of the UK. That Cheltenham festival was vital.

I saw a government refusing to spend millions quickly to prevent the spread of a plague, then realise it would cost hundreds of millions, but still fail to do anything until the costs would be certain to climb into billions and then hundreds of billions.

I saw the rise of social movements that were flatly denying the reality of the situation, and saw the president of the USA being one of the most deluded proponents of these crackpot theories.

I was forced to listen as idiots at the very highest levels kept saying they were "just following the science", then that "the science has changed". When the simple truth was and is that the science of exponential spread of a disease is simple mathematics that any competant A-level science student should be able to model on their home computer (or even just with a sheet of paper and a pencil!).

So no, I had no optimism a year ago. I had the crushing despair of seeing a disaster happen in slow motion, knowing that it was not inevitable, but also knowing that the people that could do something about it were not just being ineffective, but actively making the situation worse.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I wasn't very good at predicting how things would develop. I returned from Cyprus in early March and expected restrictions to be fast and very strict, especially for international travel - they weren't. I expected those very strict restrictions would lead to a much shorter and lower impact than we had.

We were slow and patchy with what we did and I'm hoping that management of the virus this year will be better. That's not grounded in a lot of evidence, so I may still be very wrong this year too.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Thirteen months ago I was running the calculations on exponential spread of the virus. Somewhere in the fab archives will be my first posts on the subject. I was starting to rant about the lax measures and unbelievably bad decisions being made by our government. My recollection is that mainly people were variously telling me that I was crazy, unable to do arithmetic, a total scaredy wuss and deluded.

I watched with increasing dread and horror as the government firstly just ignored the dangers then treated it as some kind of joke. BJ shaking hands with sick people in a hospital. Johnson senior making pronouncements about it being every Englishman's divine right to go to the pub during a pandemic.

I watched New Zealand respond rapidly in closing their borders and imposing biosecurity measures - NZ swingers have been able to party pretty well continuously for the last twelve months.

I saw our government declaring that it was impossible to close borders, that it would cost too much to cancel air flights and compensate people for their lost journeys. That football was just too important and tens of thousands of people absolutely must be allowed, even encouraged, to cram into stadiums, pass a horrendously contagious disease around, and then travel it to all corners of the UK. That Cheltenham festival was vital.

I saw a government refusing to spend millions quickly to prevent the spread of a plague, then realise it would cost hundreds of millions, but still fail to do anything until the costs would be certain to climb into billions and then hundreds of billions.

I saw the rise of social movements that were flatly denying the reality of the situation, and saw the president of the USA being one of the most deluded proponents of these crackpot theories.

I was forced to listen as idiots at the very highest levels kept saying they were "just following the science", then that "the science has changed". When the simple truth was and is that the science of exponential spread of a disease is simple mathematics that any competant A-level science student should be able to model on their home computer (or even just with a sheet of paper and a pencil!).

So no, I had no optimism a year ago. I had the crushing despair of seeing a disaster happen in slow motion, knowing that it was not inevitable, but also knowing that the people that could do something about it were not just being ineffective, but actively making the situation worse."

Spot on Polly, I remember how things were from your early posts, so clearly.

Manchester (she/her)

"Thirteen months ago I was running the calculations on exponential spread of the virus. Somewhere in the fab archives will be my first posts on the subject. I was starting to rant about the lax measures and unbelievably bad decisions being made by our government. My recollection is that mainly people were variously telling me that I was crazy, unable to do arithmetic, a total scaredy wuss and deluded.

So no, I had no optimism a year ago. I had the crushing despair of seeing a disaster happen in slow motion, knowing that it was not inevitable, but also knowing that the people that could do something about it were not just being ineffective, but actively making the situation worse.

Spot on Polly, I remember how things were from your early posts, so clearly. "

Same

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

I myself am very optimist their wouldn't be saying like always expect the unexpected all these quotes have a purpose and things that have been written long before they occur so being a little bit knowledgeable even though it's unexpectedly happening makes me wonder I'm sure others too how much truth is written by our forefathers who were very knowledgeable UK has been one of the last counties to think about recycling and clamping down on pollution which all affect the climate yet want to dig holes within land for gas whether this is meant to happen or further distribution to harming the planet

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Everything was getting cancelled this time last year. I was hoping it would be over by the summer.

» Add a new message to this topic