FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > India figures going through the roof

India figures going through the roof

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bi_Astray OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

A few reports of how bad this is getting in India, Most reports stating that figures are probably higher than being reported. recent figures of over 200000 new cases a day and 2000 a day dying. Shocking figures sadly. The hospitals in Mumbai are critically overburdened and oxygen supplies are running out.

With the risk of mutated strains which could mutate into a vaccine resistant strain, should we be looking at restricting international arrivals in the way NZ and Australia are? Sort a safe system for the accompanied freight arriving, otherwise, strict quarantine on arrival for emergency travel only.

If a mutant strain emerges that is vaccine resistant, and we import it, we go back to where we were.

Would it not be sensible to try and emulate the methods of other countries that have managed the pandemic pretty successfully?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I've been saying this for ages but apparently I'm crazy

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Well we've only had an extra weeks worth of arrivals from India, finishing tomorrow morning... Probably be OK.... Maybe

It's just one of those government things that can't be rationally explained. We now have a (bureaucratic) border control of some sort, but we're not gonna make arrivals from India this week quarantine? Eh? Why the heck not?

By *lorious hole bs16Man  over a year ago

Bristol

At last! India now red listed.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Well we've only had an extra weeks worth of arrivals from India, finishing tomorrow morning... Probably be OK.... Maybe

It's just one of those government things that can't be rationally explained. We now have a (bureaucratic) border control of some sort, but we're not gonna make arrivals from India this week quarantine? Eh? Why the heck not? "

It can be explained, you cannot just shut your boarders to uk citizens you need to give them notice to return home otherwise the uk tax payer would be responsible to support them until they could return. This is why there is always notice.

Manchester (she/her)

"Well we've only had an extra weeks worth of arrivals from India, finishing tomorrow morning... Probably be OK.... Maybe

It's just one of those government things that can't be rationally explained. We now have a (bureaucratic) border control of some sort, but we're not gonna make arrivals from India this week quarantine? Eh? Why the heck not? It can be explained, you cannot just shut your boarders to uk citizens you need to give them notice to return home otherwise the uk tax payer would be responsible to support them until they could return. This is why there is always notice."

The downside of the Australia approach is that there are currently 40k Australians stranded overseas

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

The sad fact is that any disease in a country as highly popuplated as India will inevitably have very high mortality rates, poverty is also a factor and a already stretched health system.

Manchester (she/her)

"The sad fact is that any disease in a country as highly popuplated as India will inevitably have very high mortality rates, poverty is also a factor and a already stretched health system."

Yes. But we can help, I'd hope, plus if this variant is a danger to the UK, keep it out.

By *onnynclaireCouple  over a year ago

spencers wood

Crazy that we didn’t close to international travel at the start of this poo fest.

I know of a family who had returned from India in the past week who have caught covid while out there and still travelled home with it.

Usual thing of how many people on that flight had it or have now caught it and sadly spreading here.

By *imandher14Couple  over a year ago

Earth

Sadly you can go from India to dubai and dubai to UK no restrictions its a loop hole.

westerham

It's just one of those government things that can't be rationally explained. We now have a (bureaucratic) border control of some sort, but we're not gonna make arrivals from India this week quarantine? Eh? Why the heck not? It can be explained, you cannot just shut your boarders to uk citizens you need to give them notice to return home otherwise the uk tax payer would be responsible to support them until they could return. This is why there is always notice."

Not quite what I said. No you can't instantly shut the borders, but the government could and should have insisted everyone arriving this week goes into quarantine (not self isolation).

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I am sure we will help India as we have done by building an AZ plant there.No doubt we will get no thanks in return,Britain is a generous nation and will I am sure help more countries proportionally than any nation on earth as allways we will get little thanks especially from the EU

By *ommo60Man  over a year ago

STOCKPORT

latest figures today..330,000 infected..40,000 dead in one day yesterday

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"A few reports of how bad this is getting in India, Most reports stating that figures are probably higher than being reported. recent figures of over 200000 new cases a day and 2000 a day dying. Shocking figures sadly. The hospitals in Mumbai are critically overburdened and oxygen supplies are running out.

With the risk of mutated strains which could mutate into a vaccine resistant strain, should we be looking at restricting international arrivals in the way NZ and Australia are? Sort a safe system for the accompanied freight arriving, otherwise, strict quarantine on arrival for emergency travel only.

If a mutant strain emerges that is vaccine resistant, and we import it, we go back to where we were.

Would it not be sensible to try and emulate the methods of other countries that have managed the pandemic pretty successfully? "

Of course we should without question

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

Which is why I have so little time for those who say its a hoax.

Manchester (she/her)

"I am sure we will help India as we have done by building an AZ plant there.No doubt we will get no thanks in return,Britain is a generous nation and will I am sure help more countries proportionally than any nation on earth as allways we will get little thanks especially from the EU"

Do we need to be thanked for doing what's right?

"The sad fact is that any disease in a country as highly popuplated as India will inevitably have very high mortality rates, poverty is also a factor and a already stretched health system."

The really interesting thing is the massive gap between rich and poor in India, a gap that they don’t much seem to care much about. We harp on about this in the UK all the time, but we don’t have folks living on rubbish tips or other bizarre places; yet India is a very evolving economy with some obscenely affluent individuals who could help out.

"I am sure we will help India as we have done by building an AZ plant there.No doubt we will get no thanks in return,Britain is a generous nation and will I am sure help more countries proportionally than any nation on earth as allways we will get little thanks especially from the EU

Do we need to be thanked for doing what's right?"

No thanks but plenty of entitled exploitation as usual.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

This is what happens when you don't wear a mask and carry on fighting for the rights for farmers whilst their is a global pandemic there is a time to fight against and when their is a global pandemic isn't one of those times this is why it has exceeded as high as it is and it's good news that our borders will be closed because we have came so far too control this virus and regain little bit of normality

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Mind you India is the largest in the supply of the vaccine or has the largest vaccine center or lab global

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"I've been saying this for ages but apparently I'm crazy "
to me everything else we have done with lockdown seems pointless without restricting our borders properly

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"A few reports of how bad this is getting in India, Most reports stating that figures are probably higher than being reported. recent figures of over 200000 new cases a day and 2000 a day dying. Shocking figures sadly. The hospitals in Mumbai are critically overburdened and oxygen supplies are running out.

Would it not be sensible to try and emulate the methods of other countries that have managed the pandemic pretty successfully? "

Yes. Exactly. And either police or enforce the "self isolation" on return or quarantine hotels that are more affordable.

Id like to hear a valid explanation why we have specifically been do lax with India and travel in general.

It feels a bit like we have been dancing round a difficult problem for a year and are just about getting there... Slowly. But I may just be ill informed.

Tin town

So.. ? When we've had a travel ban since Xmas... We are now in April? I can't imagine there are that many UK citizens who flies out before Xmas and are still out there.?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Too many seem to think that the sun shines out of the arses of those in control and yet we've had a year of really poor decisions and mismanagement. The borders fiasco should have had a solution a year ago, that meant that we controlled who was coming in and didn't leave infected people to spread the virus around wherever they fancied travelling in the UK, once here. The manic lot here screamed and shouted against lockdown-light but border and internal movement restrictions were - or would have been - key ways to contain and restrict the infections.

Many here would love the limited ability that's existed thete to restrict people, whilst business carries on, albeit with an ever more hobbled population. India is more of what we could have become with the zealots in charge, likewise Brazil. Or we could have taken the longer term view of sensible control, perhaps a pared down system, guided by New Zealand and Australia.

Restrictions and the vaccines are our key tools to limit the carnage. Too many want the blessings of the olde times and someone else having to struggle, make allowances, or do the socially responsible things, to give it to them on a plate.

Manchester (she/her)

It's just one of those government things that can't be rationally explained. We now have a (bureaucratic) border control of some sort, but we're not gonna make arrivals from India this week quarantine? Eh? Why the heck not? It can be explained, you cannot just shut your boarders to uk citizens you need to give them notice to return home otherwise the uk tax payer would be responsible to support them until they could return. This is why there is always notice.

So.. ? When we've had a travel ban since Xmas... We are now in April? I can't imagine there are that many UK citizens who flies out before Xmas and are still out there.?"

I'd see a policy of "for a notice period after announcement, subsidised or government paid for hotel quarantine, after that you pony up", with no additional flights coming in. And then be proactive. "Oh, X country might be a problem?" (For India, weeks ago) boom gates down, red list as of now for anyone not in the air yet.

(I'd also apply this grace period to a very small group of people - citizens, indefinite leave to remain, almost no one else)

Tin town

It's just one of those government things that can't be rationally explained. We now have a (bureaucratic) border control of some sort, but we're not gonna make arrivals from India this week quarantine? Eh? Why the heck not? It can be explained, you cannot just shut your boarders to uk citizens you need to give them notice to return home otherwise the uk tax payer would be responsible to support them until they could return. This is why there is always notice.

So.. ? When we've had a travel ban since Xmas... We are now in April? I can't imagine there are that many UK citizens who flies out before Xmas and are still out there.?

I'd see a policy of "for a notice period after announcement, subsidised or government paid for hotel quarantine, after that you pony up", with no additional flights coming in. And then be proactive. "Oh, X country might be a problem?" (For India, weeks ago) boom gates down, red list as of now for anyone not in the air yet.

(I'd also apply this grace period to a very small group of people - citizens, indefinite leave to remain, almost no one else)"

that policy must have taken a working party of experts months to come up with.....

Manchester (she/her)

(I'd also apply this grace period to a very small group of people - citizens, indefinite leave to remain, almost no one else)

that policy must have taken a working party of experts months to come up with..... "

Me, myself and I

Tin town

that policy must have taken a working party of experts months to come up with.....

Me, myself and I "

Can you remember last year? When the words about the countries being added to banned or isolate list were determined by... "their testing policies... Their case numbers... Their trends in infections... Their actions to control it".... Hmmm India... Is testing... Is doing not a lot to control it... Has had numbers through the roof for 6 weeks... And trending up...

So sorry for India... But seriously we should have locked that stable door a month ago....

Unless... You don't think borises impending visit and trade talks could have influenced the timing?

Manchester (she/her)

Me, myself and I

Can you remember last year? When the words about the countries being added to banned or isolate list were determined by... "their testing policies... Their case numbers... Their trends in infections... Their actions to control it".... Hmmm India... Is testing... Is doing not a lot to control it... Has had numbers through the roof for 6 weeks... And trending up...

So sorry for India... But seriously we should have locked that stable door a month ago....

Unless... You don't think borises impending visit and trade talks could have influenced the timing? "

I do absolutely think that...

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

So.. ? When we've had a travel ban since Xmas... We are now in April? I can't imagine there are that many UK citizens who flies out before Xmas and are still out there.?"

Expats and staff who work in hotels, embassies and consulates. Medical staff and those involved in setting up other vital infrastructre, spring to mind.

Tin town

Expats and staff who work in hotels, embassies and consulates. Medical staff and those involved in setting up other vital infrastructre, spring to mind."

Well the sob stories in the news threads the last week have not been medical staff nor vital infrastructure to India.. They have been visiting family, getting married, on honeymoon etc... Im amazed given we have had a travel ban since Xmas they have been permitted to travel under such circumstances

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Expats and staff who work in hotels, embassies and consulates. Medical staff and those involved in setting up other vital infrastructre, spring to mind.

Well the sob stories in the news threads the last week have not been medical staff nor vital infrastructure to India.. They have been visiting family, getting married, on honeymoon etc... Im amazed given we have had a travel ban since Xmas they have been permitted to travel under such circumstances "

I'm assuming that they have been on very long stay trips, perhaps much of it as guests with family there. They wouldn't have been permitted to travel from the UK for a long time now, for those purposes.

Travellers over the last year have also been aware of the government advice upon rules being subject to change, perhaps with little, if any, notice given. However important the need to travel, the need to protect the traveller's health, as well as the UK on their return, is of a higher priority than a vacation, marriage etc. People here have had to forego those exceptional lifestyle choices for much of the last year. We've not taken the right decisions here quickly enough and we can only hope that a burst of the Indian variant hasn't recently come into the UK.

By *niper666Man  over a year ago

west bromwich

[Removed by poster at 23/04/21 13:20:55]

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Surely herd immunity will work eventually.......

Manchester (she/her)

"Surely herd immunity will work eventually....... "

Probably, but as we see at the moment, that will be fucking horrific. (Depending on how long immunity lasts and what happens in second infections)

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

The reports coming out of India are horrendous, other Countries are finally trying to help with Oxygen

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"Do we need to be thanked for doing what's right?"

Nope, not at all.

It's the least we can do for centuries of imperialism and building our fortunes on our predation and exploitation of their country and their people.

Manchester (she/her)

"Do we need to be thanked for doing what's right?

Nope, not at all.

It's the least we can do for centuries of imperialism and building our fortunes on our predation and exploitation of their country and their people."

Yup

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Vaccination will be the only realistic solution in India; having been there, I know the population density is exceptionally high and mandatory lockdowns are impossible to enforce.

Unlike China, India is a democracy.

The current published statistics bear little relation to the true rates of infection and death.

Densely populated countries in Africa, such as Nigeria will suffer a similar fate.

The WHO, World Health Organisation, is acutely aware of the unprecedented exponential rise in Indian infections, and the near possibility of curtailing this in the short-term.

Ireland, the UK and Europe need to prohibit any international travel to obviate the undoing of we have achieved, to date.

westerham

Nope, not at all.

It's the least we can do for centuries of imperialism and building our fortunes on our predation and exploitation of their country and their people."

Oh nonsense India wasn't even a cohesive nation until about 1850 and wasn't a country until 1947. Many in India still have a great love of Britain and our legacy, we outlawed Suttee, built their railways and many of their best buildings etc etc

Tin town

Nope, not at all.

1858 to 1947....i think perhaps look at exploitation in the last 50 years which is probably more relevant.

"we" and hopefully lots of other countries are doing a good thing, trying to help save lives. There's no need to downplay it.

Manchester (she/her)

... I'm not sure the chest beating is needed here. The situation in India is terrible. That's more important than the goddamn culture wars, isn't it?

I mean you do you, of course.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"1858 to 1947....i think perhaps look at exploitation in the last 50 years which is probably more relevant.

"we" and hopefully lots of other countries are doing a good thing, trying to help save lives. There's no need to downplay it. "

My apologies. I meant to say centuries of world-wide imperialism, before narrowing in on India specifically.

Absolutely not downplaying it, quite the reverse in fact. We owe them the shirts off our backs for what we did to them historically.

Sadly the government seem quite hell bent on downplaying their own contributions to India with slashing about £4 Billion from the International Development Act 2015.

This ain't over until the weakest and poorest countries are lifted out of the danger, so we're just prolonging our own suffering and causing misery elsewhere.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"The sad fact is that any disease in a country as highly popuplated as India will inevitably have very high mortality rates, poverty is also a factor and a already stretched health system.

The really interesting thing is the massive gap between rich and poor in India, a gap that they don’t much seem to care much about. We harp on about this in the UK all the time, but we don’t have folks living on rubbish tips or other bizarre places; yet India is a very evolving economy with some obscenely affluent individuals who could help out. "

Yep.

Thank god we dont have a huge gap between rich and poor here.

"Crazy that we didn’t close to international travel at the start of this poo fest.

"

Ironic use of the term poo fest as one of the biggest killers in india is diahoreal disease.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"The sad fact is that any disease in a country as highly popuplated as India will inevitably have very high mortality rates, poverty is also a factor and a already stretched health system.

The really interesting thing is the massive gap between rich and poor in India, a gap that they don’t much seem to care much about. We harp on about this in the UK all the time, but we don’t have folks living on rubbish tips or other bizarre places; yet India is a very evolving economy with some obscenely affluent individuals who could help out.

Yep.

Thank god we dont have a huge gap between rich and poor here."

Without wishing to argue semantics, the richest in Indian society are as rich as in UK society, but the very poorest are poorer. So the gap is probably bigger. But any poverty is too much poverty so it's not a "how poor are our poor people" competition.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Yep.

Thank god we dont have a huge gap between rich and poor here.

Without wishing to argue semantics, the richest in Indian society are as rich as in UK society, but the very poorest are poorer. So the gap is probably bigger. But any poverty is too much poverty so it's not a "how poor are our poor people" competition."

Wouldn’t want to be a Dalit right now. Certainly no comparison to their situation and the UK.

» Add a new message to this topic