FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Charity shops

Charity shops

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *leaserforPleasure OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Anyone else find that donating stuff to Charity shops at the moment is not easy, most dont want anything or its one bag only.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury/Larkhill

Quite a lot of people have used the extra time spent at home due to lockdown to sort out all their unwanted stuff. This means that charity shops have been overwhelmed with donations. Add to this a reduced amount of shoppers; there's far more stuff coming in than going out.

I love charity shops but haven't been to any this year as I'm only do essential shopping.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's been really difficult everywhere I've tried. Limits on the amount accepted, time of the day, day of the week, they'll take stuff. It's been hard after an elderly relative's death to get things to them.

I think it's been a mix of people having time at home to sort things out as well as a larger number of deaths, plus the shops were shut for months, creating pent up demand.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Anyone else find that donating stuff to Charity shops at the moment is not easy, most dont want anything or its one bag only.

"

yes I had to go to three shops with my stuff

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

They had a interview on the news last week with a charity shop manager and she said people are just dumping allsorts of unsaleable stuff in the bags, that they end up having to dispose of

Whitstable

"They had a interview on the news last week with a charity shop manager and she said people are just dumping allsorts of unsaleable stuff in the bags, that they end up having to dispose of"

I go into the shop first and ask if they are taking donations and what i have to donate.

One shop took one bag of clothes and fortunately the one next door was just opening and took two bags of clothes and two bags of dvds.

It was all good stuff. The clothes no longer fitted me and the dvds were all in excellent playable condition.

You can of course book a local tip appointment but i am loathe to just throw away perfectly good stuff.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I just use local groups where people and families in need can take it for free, charity shops as such aren’t taking anything.

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

I took a bag full to one of my local charity shops, any larger amounts and they ask you to make an appointment to take in.

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

I work in a charity shop and we have to limit the amount as we are overwhelmed with the amount we are getting.

Not sure it’s the same in England but we have to have appointments for the rubbish tips and people are basically dumping there rubbish that’s meant for the tip on us as it’s less hassle for them .

By *uckslut and MCouple  over a year ago

Poole

Be like our neighbour, have a bonfire eveyday to get rid of it all. Just seen books, an old mop head and a broken up mdf desk go on the burning pile. 2pm in afternoon, neighbour on other side has washing out. I've had to shut all windows again. She has a chelsea tractor, so could take it to recycling center.

Whitstable

"Be like our neighbour, have a bonfire eveyday to get rid of it all. Just seen books, an old mop head and a broken up mdf desk go on the burning pile. 2pm in afternoon, neighbour on other side has washing out. I've had to shut all windows again. She has a chelsea tractor, so could take it to recycling center. "

The are bye laws against burning household rubbish particularly during the day.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Be like our neighbour, have a bonfire eveyday to get rid of it all. Just seen books, an old mop head and a broken up mdf desk go on the burning pile. 2pm in afternoon, neighbour on other side has washing out. I've had to shut all windows again. She has a chelsea tractor, so could take it to recycling center. "

It's shocking the levels of disrespect that some have! Such a shame too that some of it couldn't have gone to help others!

I'd put a notice up and have a take what you want collection, if I couldn't be bothered to take it somewhere.

The charity shops I've been using have all had timed drop-offs, with tight small bag limits, in the Midlands and south east England.

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

Pretty sure the rule is no fires until after 6pm.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I was very lucky to get rid of 6 bags of unwanted clothing to the Devon Air ambulance charity, but only because I knew a friend who had a connection there.

Otherwise they would still have been taking up space in my garage for quite some time!

I have noticed lots more random items being left in people's front gardens with sighs taped to them reading "Free, please take"

This is probably due to charity shops turning down donations at the moment.

By *ffanotdykeCouple  over a year ago

Salop

We have had a wardrobe clear out prior to spending a load of vouchers earned as Covid experiment volunteers. We have both had our second jab and are being tested twice a week.

Seven bin liners full of good quality clothes. Biggest problem !!!!!

Our chosen charity with nine shops are so overwhelmed with stuff they cant accept any more for ten days and then they have given us a specific time to deliver the bags.

Hope they dont go through the stuff in front of us as we have included some of her ladyship's "naughty gear".

G&A

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"I was very lucky to get rid of 6 bags of unwanted clothing to the Devon Air ambulance charity, but only because I knew a friend who had a connection there.

Otherwise they would still have been taking up space in my garage for quite some time!

I have noticed lots more random items being left in people's front gardens with sighs taped to them reading "Free, please take"

This is probably due to charity shops turning down donations at the moment. "

I left a couple of really good bikes out front with a "free please Take ", no movement in 3 days, changed the sign to £5 each and they disappeared overnight.

As a manager of one it breaks our heart that we have to turn people embassy but as said previously people have had huge clear outs. Shops don’t have a lot of storage space abd policy dictates we quarantine goods for three days. Also sadly people have in seriously filthy abd broken stuff which we have to store until - at cost - it’s removed. We are soooo grateful to the many brilliant donors of course

Plus lots of the volunteers are elderly people who are probably still at home , just be patient remember they need our support more than ever

"Anyone else find that donating stuff to Charity shops at the moment is not easy, most dont want anything or its one bag only.

"

Give it to the homeless then, im sure plenty will be grateful to recieve

By *lacksausageMan  over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

Here was I, thinking this post was going to be about some charity shop kink.

Need to get my mind out of the gutter.

By *heshirefungirlWoman  over a year ago

ammanford

Have a look on Facebook if there are any local free pages(sometimes called swap shop), there are quite a few started up over lock down, were you cant sell stuff just give stuff away to help out others, local animal rescue places will sometimes take bedding ,some local council run tips have a tip shop,stuff people bring to throw away but it's to good for landfill, local womans aid or food banks normally have connections to places that collect to help people starting a fresh or on hard times, charity shops are having limited times and days for donations as not only have people been having clear outs and donating more, they have to leave donations for like 72 hours before they can sort them and store properly or put on display

The homeless are grateful - but it’s mainly socks and underwear they need. Good coat and shoes. Toiletries.

Where possible don’t leave bags outside shops as they get stolen or ripped open and Mess everywhere.

Our shop keeps toiletries and NEW Underwear etc for (mainly) women running from domestic abuse. The homeless men always ask for underwear

By *oxy babeWoman  over a year ago

gower

Where I live there are a few groups on FB which are solely for giving away anything you no longer need but may be of use for someone else, lots of people have been looking for clothes and household items

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"Where I live there are a few groups on FB which are solely for giving away anything you no longer need but may be of use for someone else, lots of people have been looking for clothes and household items"

We have one of these and it is well used. Just before Christmas a homeless man well known in the area finally got a flat to live in. It was completely empty of furniture but within 24 hours through that site he had everything he needed just through donations, from big things like cooker, bed, sofa, tv to small things like plates, lamps, bedding, food in his cupboards, someone even bought him a Christmas tree and lights. Had similar with a mum and two young children that had left an abusive home. It was good to see the community come together so quickly.

Other than that it’s a great way to pass on things that other individuals need that you no longer don’t.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I work in a charity shop and we have to limit the amount as we are overwhelmed with the amount we are getting.

Not sure it’s the same in England but we have to have appointments for the rubbish tips and people are basically dumping there rubbish that’s meant for the tip on us as it’s less hassle for them ."

People are vile

By *Four_uCouple  over a year ago

Nr Blackpool

Mr: I loves me a charity shop. Recycle as much as we can and help our planet

"Where I live there are a few groups on FB which are solely for giving away anything you no longer need but may be of use for someone else, lots of people have been looking for clothes and household items

We have one of these and it is well used. Just before Christmas a homeless man well known in the area finally got a flat to live in. It was completely empty of furniture but within 24 hours through that site he had everything he needed just through donations, from big things like cooker, bed, sofa, tv to small things like plates, lamps, bedding, food in his cupboards, someone even bought him a Christmas tree and lights. Had similar with a mum and two young children that had left an abusive home. It was good to see the community come together so quickly.

Other than that it’s a great way to pass on things that other individuals need that you no longer don’t. "

That's an absolutely wonderful heartwarming story!

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

"Where I live there are a few groups on FB which are solely for giving away anything you no longer need but may be of use for someone else, lots of people have been looking for clothes and household items

Other than that it’s a great way to pass on things that other individuals need that you no longer don’t. "

That's so lovely to read, we use some local sites as well where we give lots away to help others.

Society seems to be so disposable these days.

I always try to find a home for anything that can be reused

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

Ive sold on vinted and shpock. What doesnt sell wil go in bags that come through letterbox.

By *reat me rightWoman  over a year ago

Rotherham

"

I volunteer in a charity shop. As has been said- everybody and their dog has been sorting out their homes and has had things piled up for months (btw I'm just as guilty of this as the rest of the country but our stuff is still at the top of the stairs at mums out of the way). Donations come in at a much quicker rate than ever before at the minute. Dont get me wrong, its not like we are ungrateful, quite the opposite in fact but the sorting out is monumental. For instance, mum and I sorted out the bedding and curtains this week. We managed to get everything physically inside the shop bagged, labelled and onto its correct shelf - then were told there was so much more. So, come Tuesday (not my day technically) ill be in there seeing what has been sold and having another jolly good sort out.

By *reat me rightWoman  over a year ago

Rotherham

"They had a interview on the news last week with a charity shop manager and she said people are just dumping allsorts of unsaleable stuff in the bags, that they end up having to dispose of"

To be fair, this has always happened. In 8 years of volunteering in one shop I've binned some truly awful awful stuff * that hosted bodily fluids, was ripped, stank, covered in pet fur etc. It costs "my" charity so much in getting rid of rubbish (there are 2 biffa for rubbish and one for cardboard, all emptied on Tuesday but all chocka on Thursday) but folk don't care

By *uzie69xTV/TS  over a year ago

Maidstone

"Mr: I loves me a charity shop. Recycle as much as we can and help our planet "

Me too!

I always advise girls newly transitioning to make their local charity shops the go-to place instead of Primark et al.

They take in a bag of their no longer needed male clothes; and out with a bag of female styles to try out.

That way they can develop their style without costing too much; helping charities out and not adding to problems of Fast Fashion.

By *uzie69xTV/TS  over a year ago

Maidstone

Bought an Aquascutum wool coat today for £10!

Woohoo! It's a classic I'm going to love wearing it for years!

It's hanging next to the Jaeger one I bought a few years ago which I still love wearing!

» Add a new message to this topic