FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > How much spent on masks?

How much spent on masks?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uckslut and M OP   Couple  over a year ago

Poole

I was watching a news article the other day. The interveiwer was asking people on the street how much they think they've spent on masks. I was shocked that some were saying around £300.

Being able to sew, I've made all my own with fabric frim my stash. So I've not really spent any. How much do you think you've spent?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I bought some from a local lady at the start 4 for £10. Work provides the ones we have to wear there, so I just use mine for shopping.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I was watching a news article the other day. The interveiwer was asking people on the street how much they think they've spent on masks. I was shocked that some were saying around £300.

Being able to sew, I've made all my own with fabric frim my stash. So I've not really spent any. How much do you think you've spent?

"

Yes but how safe are they? You need at least 3 layers

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Probably more than I think. We get 3pks of 10 disposable ones a week and I've got about 10 washable ones. Soon adds up doesn't it?

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

£0 not a penny ... don’t wear them

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

I was given some last summer, still

Have a few left so hoping they last to the end.

So - zero spend for me!

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

I spent about £25 on a virustatic shield mask, my sister brought a load of masks from Hong Kong that are the ones being imported and sold at 10 times the price here. Haven't bought any disposable ones.

By *queegeeMan  over a year ago

northampton

Haven't spent anything yet!!

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Probably about £80

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Think mine were just under £20 pack of two with four filters so able to wash and reuse and states filters are supposed to be washed and more importantly fit comfortably and no escaping air other than via the filter

All mine have been free from work, if work didn’t provide them I wouldn’t have bothered to wear them, T-shirt would have just been pulled up over my chin

"I was watching a news article the other day. The interveiwer was asking people on the street how much they think they've spent on masks. I was shocked that some were saying around £300.

"

Pretty much zero too

Lucy has made some and the others have been a few disposables.

By *erry bull1Man  over a year ago

doncaster

I get throw away from my employer

By *uckslut and M OP   Couple  over a year ago

Poole

Yes but how safe are they? You need at least 3 layers "

I was one of the army of volenter sewers, making scrubs and masks from the start. We had guidlines and regulations to follow. The basic test is, can you blow a candle out while wearing the said mask? If you can't it passes.

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Not that much as we have reusable ones but a few quid on the filters. I don't begrudge the cost though as we want to be part of the solution.

Manchester (she/her)

I was one of the army of volenter sewers, making scrubs and masks from the start. We had guidlines and regulations to follow. The basic test is, can you blow a candle out while wearing the said mask? If you can't it passes. "

Thank you

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Not a lot. My friend makes them so I get given them.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

"

I'm guessing that you might not be aware that material depending on the circumstances of use each one has a purpose either dust, air, because particles are still able to enter via the fabric unless specified otherwise in design and texture of the material

By *ekezza and BilfCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

Probably around £40. But I like masks from a store called Lower Park. Well worth the money.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

"£0 not a penny ... don’t wear them "

Can I ask why you don't wear a mask.

Are you exempt, don't think they have any purpose, cost.

Just curious..

Work provide mostly. But personal masks, I've probably spent £50. Mainly because I'm clumsy and tend to lose them

"Probably more than I think. We get 3pks of 10 disposable ones a week and I've got about 10 washable ones. Soon adds up doesn't it? "

30 masks a week plus reusable? Why so many may I ask. I assume you must have a valid reason for going out so much, as I thought we had been on lockdown for the most of the last year. I for one use no more than 1 a week for the unavoidable trip out.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I was one of the army of volenter sewers, making scrubs and masks from the start. We had guidlines and regulations to follow. The basic test is, can you blow a candle out while wearing the said mask? If you can't it passes. "

we read this too about the candle. My daughters and I made a few masks out of material I already had. However when we flew out to Sicily last year you couldn't wear reusable on the plane. Had to be medical grade disposable ones .. so got some of them.

I got 500 recently for about 12quid. I've also been picking up a few here and there. So probably about 50quid in total.

Disposables free at work. Sister sews her own... so free to me too.

I bought one pack of three washable ones for £5.99 so that's my total expenditure on masks so far...

Manchester (she/her)

I was one of the army of volenter sewers, making scrubs and masks from the start. We had guidlines and regulations to follow. The basic test is, can you blow a candle out while wearing the said mask? If you can't it passes. we read this too about the candle. My daughters and I made a few masks out of material I already had. However when we flew out to Sicily last year you couldn't wear reusable on the plane. Had to be medical grade disposable ones .. so got some of them.

I got 500 recently for about 12quid. I've also been picking up a few here and there. So probably about 50quid in total. "

The continent has tighter guidelines for masks than the UK.

I get it, but personally given my risk I go with multi layer fabric ones, do my bit for the environment. I've spent as much as I have because I had a couple of false starts working out what was best.

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I've brought some in aid of charities so probably around £20.

Probably about £150 and still an ongoing cost

"Probably about £150 and still an ongoing cost "

Actually nearer £200 ... forgot that one lol

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

£20. I dread the thought of how much waste has come from disposable masks.

"£20. I dread the thought of how much waste has come from disposable masks. "
we have to use them. Not allowed to has reusable ones x I always cut my strings and dispose of in the bags destined for incineration

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Personal ones about £20

Disposable work ones are supplied by my clients

Tenner maybe.

I prefer the disposable ones which I get for free.

maybe £30/40

i have a good stash of fabric ones - some i bought from a local seller , i also donated her £30 worth of fabric because she was making extras to give away to local people that couldn’t afford and i liked the idea so much and felt like if she was giving her time the least i could do was donate some fabric since i can’t sew to save myself

then i bought some more fabric ones from shops and online , i wanted to have plenty to be able to change them frequently when i was abroad and had to wear them in the streets where it was hot and sweaty and covered in sun cream , also nice to have a range of styles and colours

but now i have all those i just wash them and reuse and wont have to buy any more

i think i’ve only used a paper one twice in the entire year - i understand them in a medical setting where you have to frequently dispose but for every day use its just such a waste of both money and for the environment

By *ewrocksWoman  over a year ago

button moon

Not alot. I bought some washable ones at the start, and still have them. Wear them because I have to, not because I think they make any bloody difference.

none

I rarely go outside

Did a course in September and got a load of disposable ones then and not needed more

By *tew2009Man  over a year ago

wakefield

£0. Nil. Zero. Never worn one and funnily enough I'm still alive!

[Removed by poster at 03/05/21 14:43:13]

By *incloudukMan  over a year ago

Medway

I pay nothing as I get mine from work. They have to supply them so I take a few for me

"£0. Nil. Zero. Never worn one and funnily enough I'm still alive!"
you do know it's not about protecting you.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Good for you sir.

By *ixieUKMan  over a year ago

MORDEN

"£0 not a penny ... don’t wear them "

What she said

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

We had some made by our suppliers with the company logo on etc.

Probably spent about £150 all in but we do get given them on a lot of our customers sites.

Spent a lot more on hand gel and sanitiser products though.

Nothing get everything free from work masks gel hand sanitizer could have made a small fortune selling it on.

Don't say that on here, you'll be accused of killing thousands soon

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"£0. Nil. Zero. Never worn one and funnily enough I'm still alive! you do know it's not about protecting you. "

Sadly some can’t see past the end of their own noses. Mask wearing isn’t really even about what happens at the level of the individual, it only starts to make a difference at population level.

By *perfectpair5050Couple  over a year ago

marlbourgh

[Removed by poster at 03/05/21 22:48:20]

"

Nothing, get them off my mother

I sew, so made my own from stash. I’ve probs spent £50 making masks for myself and others.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I bought a set of fabric ones, really well made, for a total of about £70 and because we've been working from home and only going to supermarkets etc infrequently, they've not had heavy use and are still very much in use and useable. I bought one box of disposable ones to keep in the car for emergencies but have only used a couple. The times I'm out of the house at the moment are for medical appointments or to conduct vaccine clinics and you have to wear the medical masks provided on site at all such places, so I've worn a lot of single use ones which I haven't directly paid for, I suppose.

1 ..off domestic abuse charity i support..

Otherwise NHS provide mine plus plastic visor

well done sir, taking yourself out of the jeen poole can inly be good for us all

Hard to know, but the two teenagers require them for school so they each use a 10 pack of disposables per week at £5 per pack. I've bought a few reusable ones, and always keep a couple of packs of disposables spare, but I also volunteered making scrubs and masks during the first lockdown so I've lots that I made from my own fabric stash.

I guess in all maybe £150?

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

About £10 on a pack of 3 reusable ones...which I have one in the car one for work and one I gave to my father.

"Probably more than I think. We get 3pks of 10 disposable ones a week and I've got about 10 washable ones. Soon adds up doesn't it?

30 masks a week plus reusable? Why so many may I ask. I assume you must have a valid reason for going out so much, as I thought we had been on lockdown for the most of the last year. I for one use no more than 1 a week for the unavoidable trip out."

lots of people like me have been working everyday outside in the world. not everyone has been locked in. That is the real divide in the community

d

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

Maybe £30-50, mainly reusable ones for my daughter at school, I rarely go anywhere

Northampton Somewhere

"Probably more than I think. We get 3pks of 10 disposable ones a week and I've got about 10 washable ones. Soon adds up doesn't it?

30 masks a week plus reusable? Why so many may I ask. I assume you must have a valid reason for going out so much, as I thought we had been on lockdown for the most of the last year. I for one use no more than 1 a week for the unavoidable trip out."

Fuck me I wish I'd seen this earlier

I've worked since we went back after the first lockdown and probably use 3 or 4 in a shift. I have 2 children at secondary school, they use at least 2 a day each. I provide my eldest son with disposable masks. Valid enough for you???

I don't 'go out'.

30 masks a week plus reusable? Why so many may I ask. I assume you must have a valid reason for going out so much, as I thought we had been on lockdown for the most of the last year. I for one use no more than 1 a week for the unavoidable trip out.

I've worked since we went back after the first lockdown and probably use 3 or 4 in a shift. I have 2 children at secondary school, they use at least 2 a day each. I provide my eldest son with disposable masks. Valid enough for you???

I don't 'go out'. "

I asked a polite question out of curiosity as I was shocked at the number of masks you use. A simple explanation was all that was required. No need to be rude! Hope tomorrow brings you a better and more civil mood.

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

£0

Flintshire

"£0. Nil. Zero. Never worn one and funnily enough I'm still alive!

well done sir, taking yourself out of the jeen poole can inly be good for us all"

Charming ..... nasty

Flintshire

So people making masks from old knickers and stuff using paper ones time and time again ..... you really think these stop a particle from passing through the fabric ... I do have to laugh at all this utter nonsense ....

By *reeMan  over a year ago

Paisley

"£0. Nil. Zero. Never worn one and funnily enough I'm still alive! you do know it's not about protecting you. "

You don't wear them to protect yourself, you wear them to protect others!

By *irmingham_Sissy_MaidTV/TS  over a year ago

sutton Coldfield

I bought a pack of 100 last year for about £5 and they’re still going strong

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Go Morrisons give a free one if you forget £0

Between £50-£60 I think. Bought a reusable set when they came in then replaced them a couple of months ago. Had to buy my eldest a few extras because she kept losing them.

By *ewrocksWoman  over a year ago

button moon

I don't 'go out'.

I asked a polite question out of curiosity as I was shocked at the number of masks you use. A simple explanation was all that was required. No need to be rude! Hope tomorrow brings you a better and more civil mood."

That was a polite question?

The question may have been but the sparky implication of the rest of the text reads far from polite.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

We have spent less than £5. One pack of 10 disposable masks specifically for the ferry to France last summer as we didn't want to carry potentially contaminated masks in the motorhome for weeks. Used one each on the way there, same on the way back. This year we will use the home made masks if they are still a requirement and leave them out in the sun to sterilise before re-use (in hindsight we should have done this last year as well).

Otherwise we use home made ones as the disposable ones aren't really any better and cause huge amounts of pollution, the legacy of which will be seen for generations to come.

Disposable masks aren't necessary for school, nor are two masks per day necessary in school.

Northampton Somewhere

I don't 'go out'.

I asked a polite question out of curiosity as I was shocked at the number of masks you use. A simple explanation was all that was required. No need to be rude! Hope tomorrow brings you a better and more civil mood.

The question may have been but the sparky implication of the rest of the text reads far from polite. "

Thank you, I didn't think the tone of his post was too polite either!!

By *iking 777Man  over a year ago

Kirkwall

Far to bloody much keep forgetting to put one in me pocket

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

I don't 'go out'.

The question may have been but the sparky implication of the rest of the text reads far from polite.

Thank you, I didn't think the tone of his post was too polite either!! "

Agreed, it was rude.

By *nliveneTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

£0

My employer provided them for free

By *psingleMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

£0 - my employer provides them, have used 2/3 a day every working day since the start of lockdown one. I go through a box of 50 every 3/4 weeks.

Don’t even notice I’m wearing them anymore.

North West

"We have spent less than £5. One pack of 10 disposable masks specifically for the ferry to France last summer as we didn't want to carry potentially contaminated masks in the motorhome for weeks. Used one each on the way there, same on the way back. This year we will use the home made masks if they are still a requirement and leave them out in the sun to sterilise before re-use (in hindsight we should have done this last year as well).

Otherwise we use home made ones as the disposable ones aren't really any better and cause huge amounts of pollution, the legacy of which will be seen for generations to come.

Disposable masks aren't necessary for school, nor are two masks per day necessary in school."

The same mask, be it disposable or cloth, should not be worn all day. It'll be soaking wet from the water vapour in the breath and presumably taken on and off several times for eating, drinking etc. Possibly also for PE.

Also good luck on sunning your masks in Leigh! Currently requiring an ark and central heating not very far from Leigh

Please explain how my question was rude? It was a simple question. I apologise if I appear rude. It was not my motive. I was simply surprised at the extent of mask use. The explanation was sufficient to help me understand without the unnecessary personal attack. Trolling comes to mind and people looking for an excuse to have a go and let off steam.

By *rman82Man  over a year ago

Manchester

I can calculate my mask expenditure based on the success rate of masks to prevent Covid... it’s a simple mathematical figure, I’m thinking out loud here but it’s something like a penny for every 1% success.

Therefore 0.00% success in preventing Covid = £0.00 spent

I’m loaded!! Give it a go, you can save a fortune.

Nicked all mine from work

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Spent £30 on some medical grade ones for my own use, then 2 weeks later my work started handing boxes of the same type out to all workers, so haven’t had to buy any more.

But going by how many boxes I’ve actually used it’s probably about £75-£100 worth

Manchester

I’ve never bought a chocolate fire guard either!

North West

"I’ve never bought a chocolate fire guard either!"

You should try one. Hot, sticky, sweet, from your head to your feet

Manchester

"I’ve never bought a chocolate fire guard either!

You should try one. Hot, sticky, sweet, from your head to your feet "

Sounds messy! And I’ve got carpet so it would be a nightmare.

North West

"I’ve never bought a chocolate fire guard either!

You should try one. Hot, sticky, sweet, from your head to your feet

Sounds messy! And I’ve got carpet so it would be a nightmare."

Lino

Northampton Somewhere

"Please explain how my question was rude? It was a simple question. I apologise if I appear rude. It was not my motive. I was simply surprised at the extent of mask use. The explanation was sufficient to help me understand without the unnecessary personal attack. Trolling comes to mind and people looking for an excuse to have a go and let off steam. "

This was your reply to my original post, which I then explained my households mask usage later in the thread:

1. You questioned my mask usage. In my world it's not a bad thing to use a lot.

2. You assumed I 'go out' a lot during lockdown. I work, that's my going out. My valid reason for using a lot of masks.

3. I felt the tone of your post was rude and slightly aggressive tbh.

I didn't reply originally as I thought perhaps I had been a bit sensitive. But actually as others have said your post was rude!

Anyway I appreciate your apology.

Just shove them in as a business expense to claim back , what I have been doing anyway .

By *ewfie02Couple  over a year ago

Ayrshire

We don't wear them. We have a couple of exemption badges that we got on eBay.

The lateral flow packs are ridiculous for disposable plastic. A box of 50 has each plastic test in a plastic wrapper, 50 plastic swaps in plastic wrappers, 50 plastic solution holders, 50 plastic bags for waste. And to think the entire world is doing this.

"We don't wear them. We have a couple of exemption badges that we got on eBay. "
so are you exempt?

» Add a new message to this topic