FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Moving the goalposts

Moving the goalposts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ea monkey OP   Man  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Much as I tend to stay away from current affairs and news stories, the current situation regarding the potential moving of the final lockdown easing, is giving me a few wobbles.

How are others feeling about the situation in themselves?

Please note, I’m not asking for political statements or comments regarding the pandemic as a whole, let’s keep those for the appropriate forum pages

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Wobbles why?

The way things are now is relatively normal.

It’s worrying me a bit, I try not to watch it all too much, but we’ve been locked down for so long, and I found it incredibly isolating at times.

Plus, it may affect medical stuff which is very stressful

Manchester (he/him)

"Wobbles why?

The way things are now is relatively normal."

The ‘here we go again’ feeling

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Most people I talk to are feeling anxious about the lockdown lifting with increased crowds, no masks, introducing physical contact again so delaying it will just prolong some of their concerns.

Selfishly my issue with delaying lockdown is the knock on effect it will have to clubs and events.

I cannot wait to get back to events and doing my thing as we just don’t have the space or furniture at home.

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

I think it was a mistake to give that exact date in the first place to be honest as it seemed incredibly optimistic they should've done better to manage expectations.

I don't mind the date being pushed back but I don't think I could handle another full lockdown...

I've never looked at June 21st as set in stone.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm nervous

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

It does make me anxious but at the same time I'm fully vaccinated now and I haven't even had a hug for what seems like a lifetime.

Yes numbers will go up but we shouldn't see so many going to hospital or dying due to the vaccines hopefully working well

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"I think it was a mistake to give that exact date in the first place to be honest as it seemed incredibly optimistic they should've done better to manage expectations.

I don't mind the date being pushed back but I don't think I could handle another full lockdown..."

I agree. I do feel that pushing back the last phase could help prevent us needing another lockdown.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

The goal posts haven’t been moved. Hospitalisation have always been the goal and with a new emerging variant that looks to be more transmittable it only makes sense that there might be some change to when things open up until we know more.

Am I happy about it? Obviously not. Can we do anything? That’s debatable

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

"I've never looked at June 21st as set in stone."

I don't believe it is, will be down to the numbers at the last meeting before deciding

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Whatever it takes is my motto, some folk have been too lackadaisical in their approach to full lockdown over the past 15 or so months.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

I wish there was a major focus on getting the second jab to everyone in the vulnerable groups as just one is not effective enough and these are the 9 groups most likely to be hospitalized and die. Most of the first 7 groups will have got their second so we are not talking huge numbers.

Manchester (he/him)

"The goal posts haven’t been moved. Hospitalisation have always been the goal and with a new emerging variant that looks to be more transmittable it only makes sense that there might be some change to when things open up until we know more.

Am I happy about it? Obviously not. Can we do anything? That’s debatable "

The title is figurative

Manchester (he/him)

"I wish there was a major focus on getting the second jab to everyone in the vulnerable groups as just one is not effective enough and these are the 9 groups most likely to be hospitalized and die. Most of the first 7 groups will have got their second so we are not talking huge numbers. "

I see your point but is that going to help in this situation?

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

"I think it was a mistake to give that exact date in the first place to be honest as it seemed incredibly optimistic they should've done better to manage expectations.

I don't mind the date being pushed back but I don't think I could handle another full lockdown...

I agree. I do feel that pushing back the last phase could help prevent us needing another lockdown. "

I hope that's the case but unfortunately, I reckon people have used the significant easing of restrictions a little too liberally and as a result, that could lead to higher rates of infection, causing the need for another lockdown

Manchester (he/him)

I agree. I do feel that pushing back the last phase could help prevent us needing another lockdown. "

I think that this last easing was a little fool hardy, it’s going to be the free movement and meeting indoors which will fuel the potential spread

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

I thought it was all back to normal now , what am I missing ?

Manchester (he/him)

"It’s worrying me a bit, I try not to watch it all too much, but we’ve been locked down for so long, and I found it incredibly isolating at times.

Plus, it may affect medical stuff which is very stressful "

Yes, absolutely.

Manchester (she/her)

"I wish there was a major focus on getting the second jab to everyone in the vulnerable groups as just one is not effective enough and these are the 9 groups most likely to be hospitalized and die. Most of the first 7 groups will have got their second so we are not talking huge numbers.

I see your point but is that going to help in this situation? "

Probably, yes. It's about severing the connection between infection, hospitalisations, and deaths.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I agree. I do feel that pushing back the last phase could help prevent us needing another lockdown.

I hope that's the case but unfortunately, I reckon people have used the significant easing of restrictions a little too liberally and as a result, that could lead to higher rates of infection, causing the need for another lockdown "

People have been at every stage which is why I think we need at least some of the restrictions to remain in place for now to prevent a total free for all.

Manchester (he/him)

"I wish there was a major focus on getting the second jab to everyone in the vulnerable groups as just one is not effective enough and these are the 9 groups most likely to be hospitalized and die. Most of the first 7 groups will have got their second so we are not talking huge numbers.

Probably, yes. It's about severing the connection between infection, hospitalisations, and deaths. "

Doesn’t any vaccination program do that, irrespective of their risk factor?

I’m not playing devil’s advocate here, genuine question

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

My management at work, are already making plans for us to go back into the office on that date. As far as they are concerned if the government says it’s safe, we as good little subjects should fall in and do as we are told.

I have now had both jabs, so by that date in June it will be three weeks since my second jab so I’ll be fully vaccinated. Unfortunately my younger colleague hasn’t had her first jab yet, but isn’t getting any leeway for her staying at home and working.

I am really pessimistic about things currently, which is out of character for me as I’ll generally see the glass half full in a lot of situations.

By *etwifeandhim69Couple  over a year ago

Darlington

We are about to get our 2nd vaccinations, have barely left the house for anything other than work and essentials for a year and are doing our upmost to stay away from anywhere crowded even though lockdown eased somewhat. So no pubs, no holidays, no big gatherings etc etc.

Without getting political, weve had enough of how it's been dealt with. Completely understand how serious this all is but it's taking a toll on us and our mental wellbeing.

I have a lot of thoughts but if I can sum up how we are feelingz its angry.

Manchester (she/her)

Probably, yes. It's about severing the connection between infection, hospitalisations, and deaths.

I’m not playing devil’s advocate here, genuine question "

Yes, it does. But the full vaccination of the most vulnerable will do that. (There are other concerns but as this isn't the virus forum, I'll leave it at "but*")

June 21st is my birthday. I’m hoping all the mask wearing and “2 metres please” shit is gone.

I started a new job during last years lockdown and there’s about 1000 people I’ve worked with for 6 months for 40 hours a week who I wouldn’t recognise without a face mask on.

I think it's natural for people to have weird feelings about lockdowns returning possibly. It's a form of mass ptsd.

And the government (every government) is going to wobble too. There is so much at stake

Manchester (he/him)

I’m not playing devil’s advocate here, genuine question

Yes, it does. But the full vaccination of the most vulnerable will do that. (There are other concerns but as this isn't the virus forum, I'll leave it at "but*")"

I agree that the vulnerable do need to have their second jab as a matter of priority but I also think that the vaccination program is the best way of cutting off a further spike, so everyone is a priority in that way!

Manchester (he/him)

"We are about to get our 2nd vaccinations, have barely left the house for anything other than work and essentials for a year and are doing our upmost to stay away from anywhere crowded even though lockdown eased somewhat. So no pubs, no holidays, no big gatherings etc etc.

Without getting political, weve had enough of how it's been dealt with. Completely understand how serious this all is but it's taking a toll on us and our mental wellbeing.

I have a lot of thoughts but if I can sum up how we are feelingz its angry."

I can absolutely understand that reaction

I'm visiting my mum this weekend for the first time since Oct.. Planning to hug her!!

I am a little worried... But now I'm fully vaccinated i do feel a little more relaxed

I've felt this way from last summer everytime there's been a change either to open things up and add restrictions. Not sufficiently so to call it stress or anxiety but definitely a little wobble for a day or 2 x

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

I've been fully vaccinated for a while now and get tested 4 times a week through my job.

I've seen so much death and devastation this past year to last me a lifetime and in no hurry to get back out there.

Personally I can't see all restrictions being lifted on the 21st....I can imagine the outcry if they aren't....but thats what people get for being selfish!

I think I’ve always had an understanding that this step and date would be most likely to be the one that moves the goalposts, so to speak.

A combination of decisions by the authorities / parties involved, variants etc, alongside a progressing culture shift of normality returning and behaviours not matched to risk, has led to worries that it may not be.

For me personally, I’ll fall in line and continue to behave sensibly, whilst working and getting on with it. Life is far more palatable this way than during the strictest restrictions, so I’m intrigued to see how they manage the next steps. I can’t imagine all restrictions are being dropped.

I'm fine with things as they are now. Resigned to quarantine and restrictions. Changed how I live to fit in with it all.

By *P4RTANMan  over a year ago

near

Other than being locked in the country I'm in I haven't experienced COVID like many of you. I generally feel for you all.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Better not....

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

The extention of this phase I'm fine with, it is the potential chance of it reverting to a previous stage, tier, traffic light, or whatever the fuck we are calling the stages now.

Where we are now is a reasonable compromise. Its not ideal, some will agree and some disagree with lockdown as we known but I think for the most part we can say things are mostly reasonable all things considered.

» Add a new message to this topic