FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > 171 politicians

171 politicians

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Have become millionaires since the pandemic began. Thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"Have become millionaires since the pandemic began. Thoughts?"

more have win the lottery worldwide and made even more money?

what are you inferring?

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

It just confirms my suspicions that politics is a "career choice" than a public service. One fraught with opportunity for self-enrichment.

I'd prefer to see the role as one done for fixed wage, with no gifts or perks allowed. Completely unnecessary.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Good business sense. If it has been done legally (standby for incoming) then fair play to them.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

Is this worldwide or just in the UK OP ? Does it include their homes ? How much did they have before the pandemic started?

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Would you have reject a business opportunity if it presented itself to make you a millionaire?

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Good luck to them.

Personally, I could not think of a worse career than that of a politician.

Can you imagine sitting in your monthly surgeries listening to every dickhead and his dog who tips up.

I couldn't keep my mouth shut.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"Good business sense. If it has been done legally (standby for incoming) then fair play to them."

That misses the point. Politicians are in a position to define legislation and have prior knowledge of legislative changes and can take action to exploit that (or advise others to). If they worked in financial services that would be called insider trading which is illegal and comes with serious penalties including imprisonment. Politicians can hide behind parliamentary privilege.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

"Good business sense. If it has been done legally (standby for incoming) then fair play to them.

That misses the point. Politicians are in a position to define legislation and have prior knowledge of legislative changes and can take action to exploit that (or advise others to). If they worked in financial services that would be called insider trading which is illegal and comes with serious penalties including imprisonment. Politicians can hide behind parliamentary privilege. "

So only less well off people should become politicians?

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

Where did you get this fact from OP?

Brighton

"Good business sense. If it has been done legally (standby for incoming) then fair play to them.

That misses the point. Politicians are in a position to define legislation and have prior knowledge of legislative changes and can take action to exploit that (or advise others to). If they worked in financial services that would be called insider trading which is illegal and comes with serious penalties including imprisonment. Politicians can hide behind parliamentary privilege.

So only less well off people should become politicians? "

Absolutely not! How did you come to that conclusion from what I said? You do know it is perfectly possible to be successful and/or wealthy while not breaking the rules or being underhand right?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

People inclined to enrich themselves have taken advantage of a terrible situation.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The world is corrupt and politicians the worst of them. Its easy to make money when you know what will sell

"People inclined to enrich themselves have taken advantage of a terrible situation."

100%

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

"People inclined to enrich themselves have taken advantage of a terrible situation."

Yup and this will always happen as there will always be those willing to profit from others suffering in a time of need

By *fricanguyMan  over a year ago

warr

I rather be broke n happy than be a rich politician and constantly look on my shoulder n live in a small world off my own

Lots of sleepless nights

By *aekaeWoman  over a year ago

Between a cock and a soft place

With property prices going through the roof it's not hard for many people to become a paper millionaire these days.

If the politicians have done it legally and without taking advantage of their position, I see no problem.

*thinks....... I'm in a position to make a million pounds, legally......

No brainer isn't it?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Have become millionaires since the pandemic began. Thoughts?

what are you inferring?"

That they used the pandemic to enrich themselves.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

what are you inferring?

That they used the pandemic to enrich themselves."

Exactly this

liverpool

Yeah but anyone would have done it.

The fact that politicians who,unless I'm mistaken, were voted in to look after our own interests, instead used the situation to make them selves, even richer,is lost on people it seems.

The most unsurprising aspect is people are quite happy for them to literally steal money from them,and give it to their mate's, and applaud them for doing so.

liverpool

With property prices going through the roof it's not hard for many people to become a paper millionaire these days.

If the politicians have done it legally and without taking advantage of their position, I see no problem.

No brainer isn't it?"

So they have become millionaires through selling property during a worldwide pandemic, when, unless I'm mistaken, no one was moving house?

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Have done some research and yet cannot find anything that verifies this so could you kindly give a link or two to the information.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

wow I actually agree with you on this one. There's a first time for everything

liverpool

I cant find anything about it but they are hardly likely to shout it from the rooftops.

The gmnt have still not revealed where a big chunk of that £80b spent on ppe has gone,last time I looked.

Trump already was one.

And I don't see any political aspirations from Musk or Bezos, other than to rule the world. Nor Tierney. They're too busy making money.

"I cant find anything about it but they are hardly likely to shout it from the rooftops.

The gmnt have still not revealed where a big chunk of that £80b spent on ppe has gone,last time I looked."

They can't reveal that, they can't even reveal their destination Barnard Castle. Blind.

liverpool

"I cant find anything about it but they are hardly likely to shout it from the rooftops.

The gmnt have still not revealed where a big chunk of that £80b spent on ppe has gone,last time I looked.

They can't reveal that, they can't even reveal their destination Barnard Castle. Blind."

True

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Sir Chris Wormald ... he's your man! He can tell you about PPE expenditure, costs etc..

Maybe you missed his appearance before the Commons Public Accounts Committee last week.

By *lydeXXXMan  over a year ago

Doncaster

A source for this information would be good as I can't find anything. There are reported to be 71 billionaires in the UK which is 24 more than pre pandemic but nothing on 171 politicians becoming millionaires.

It was reported that politicians could claim up to 10k to help them work from home, this is on top of the 26k they can already claim for office costs.

"A source for this information would be good as I can't find anything. There are reported to be 71 billionaires in the UK which is 24 more than pre pandemic but nothing on 171 politicians becoming millionaires.

It was reported that politicians could claim up to 10k to help them work from home, this is on top of the 26k they can already claim for office costs. "

So, thnese 47 billionaires, did they take covid tests? Were they allowed freedom of travel? Asking for a friend.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

That misses the point. Politicians are in a position to define legislation and have prior knowledge of legislative changes and can take action to exploit that (or advise others to). If they worked in financial services that would be called insider trading which is illegal and comes with serious penalties including imprisonment. Politicians can hide behind parliamentary privilege. "

Anyone can see changes as they are debated and acts of parliament usually have a lead time so politicians dont have any info that isnt available, history shows that some will use their position for personal gain, the expenses scandal leaves us in no doubt

No brainer isn't it?

So they have become millionaires through selling property during a worldwide pandemic, when, unless I'm mistaken, no one was moving house?

"

What a puzzling critique of a forum post.

Please show me where I stated politicians had become millionaires by selling property during a worldwide pandemic.

Please show me where I stated anyone in particular had become millionaires by selling property during a worldwide pandemic.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Im pretty sure critiquing something that wasn't said doesn't make it though.

Did you conflate my 2 observations and read them as one?

They can't reveal that, they can't even reveal their destination Barnard Castle. Blind."

Which politician went to Bernard Castle?

liverpool

No brainer isn't it?

Please show me where I stated politicians had become millionaires by selling property during a worldwide pandemic.

Please show me where I stated anyone in particular had become millionaires by selling property during a worldwide pandemic.

"

Maybe it was the bit where you said property prices had gone through the roof and offered no.pther explanation on how a politician can become a millionaire during a pandemic?

Though if you have any I'm all ears?

Brighton

Anyone can see changes as they are debated and acts of parliament usually have a lead time so politicians dont have any info that isnt available, history shows that some will use their position for personal gain, the expenses scandal leaves us in no doubt"

That first part simply isn’t true.

Ministers and Junior Ministers work with Civil Servants to design new legislation. They know months (sometimes years) in advance before something is tabled for debate in Parliament.

Absolutely not! How did you come to that conclusion from what I said? You do know it is perfectly possible to be successful and/or wealthy while not breaking the rules or being underhand right?"

I like your answers when you send them to various threads and you do sou d lihe a very bright and sensible women. However as you know its on our nature unfortunately to break the law. Be greedy. Look after number one etc etc. You only have to see the way some people have behaved over. The last 16 months to see that. Being a politician is not a life time job. They are mostly out to fill their pockets in the position they are in and there is nothing we can do whilst they pull the strings.

liverpool

Absolutely not! How did you come to that conclusion from what I said? You do know it is perfectly possible to be successful and/or wealthy while not breaking the rules or being underhand right?

I like your answers when you send them to various threads and you do sou d lihe a very bright and sensible women. However as you know its on our nature unfortunately to break the law. Be greedy. Look after number one etc etc. You only have to see the way some people have behaved over. The last 16 months to see that. Being a politician is not a life time job. They are mostly out to fill their pockets in the position they are in and there is nothing we can do whilst they pull the strings.

"

Not voting them in would be a start.

Brighton

"

While Mrs B is indeed a “bright and sensible woman” generally speaking the posts in the forum are by me, Mr B. I like to think of myself as relatively bright. Can’t comment on whether I count as sensible but likely not seeing as I waste so much time and energy debating stuff like covid and politics on a swinger site!

Brighton

And to add... your post sounds defeatist and resigned to acceptance of corrupt behaviour? Sad state of affairs if we aren’t prepared to stand up for decency in public life!

No brainer isn't it?

Maybe it was the bit where you said property prices had gone through the roof and offered no.pther explanation on how a politician can become a millionaire during a pandemic?

Though if you have any I'm all ears?"

Again, where did I say politicians had become millionaires by selling property during the pandemic.

Clearly, I didn't.

Did you miss read what I actually said; "With property prices going through the roof it's not hard for many people to become a paper millionaire these days" or are you simply miss representing my comment for some reason?

The comment clearly has nothing to do with politicians.

The clues in the phrase "many people", no mention of politicians.

liverpool

No brainer isn't it?

Again, where did I say politicians had become millionaires by selling property during the pandemic.

Clearly, I didn't.

Did you miss read what I actually said; "With property prices going through the roof it's not hard for many people to become a paper millionaire these days" or are you simply miss representing my comment for some reason?

"

Right..I just got confused where in a topic about politichans becoming millionaires during a pandemic, you used the example of property prices.

So if the claim is true,what is the explanation?

No brainer isn't it?

Clearly, I didn't.

Right..I just got confused where in a topic about politichans becoming millionaires during a pandemic, you used the example of property prices.

So if the claim is true,what is the explanation?"

You didn't get confused, you're smarter than that.

The claim that people have become paper millionaires through rising property prices?

You want an explanation of that?

Really?

Ok. People have become paper millionaires through rising property values. That's about it really. '\/'

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The devil is always in the detail. I don't have an opinion, unless they earned whilst not fulfilling their obligations as a politician.

By *d6869Man  over a year ago

Aberdeen

Anyone can see changes as they are debated and acts of parliament usually have a lead time so politicians dont have any info that isnt available, history shows that some will use their position for personal gain, the expenses scandal leaves us in no doubt

That first part simply isn’t true.

Ministers and Junior Ministers work with Civil Servants to design new legislation. They know months (sometimes years) in advance before something is tabled for debate in Parliament."

They have a lot of inside knowledge, I bet quite a few have shares in pharmaceutical companies ??

liverpool

No brainer isn't it?

Clearly, I didn't.

So if the claim is true,what is the explanation?

You didn't get confused, you're smarter than that.

The claim that people have become paper millionaires through rising property prices?

You want an explanation of that?

Really?

Ok. People have become paper millionaires through rising property values. That's about it really. '\/'"

But that doesn't explain why it's a thread specifically about politicians getting richer?

No one is against people making money but public servants using a pandemic to make money is morally and ethically abhorrent.

» Add a new message to this topic