FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Costa Rica stats

Costa Rica stats

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *andm300 OP   Man  over a year ago

guildford

So looking at another country to make things less personal please entertain me.

So I do a bit or research on Costa Rica and COVID deaths and find 85 people in 100,000 die. With the common flue, cold and influenza 15.2 people in 100,000 die. So it appears looking at official websites (in Costa Rica) COVID kills 5 and a half times more people than flu.

Out of interest in your honest opinion....what multitude of the flue death rate does something have to be to justify loss freedoms for the greater good?

Those who trust the authorities to serve us over themselves .......how do you do it with what the media digs up on them all the time? Have you never seen an abuse of power? I want to be happy accepting things the way they are but all the manipulation and Control when thing aren’t objective is a bit much for me to handle. Someone please enlighten me.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

"So looking at another country to make things less personal please entertain me.

So I do a bit or research on Costa Rica and COVID deaths and find 85 people in 100,000 die. With the common flue, cold and influenza 15.2 people in 100,000 die. So it appears looking at official websites (in Costa Rica) COVID kills 5 and a half times more people than flu.

Out of interest in your honest opinion....what multitude of the flue death rate does something have to be to justify loss freedoms for the greater good?

Those who trust the authorities to serve us over themselves .......how do you do it with what the media digs up on them all the time? Have you never seen an abuse of power? I want to be happy accepting things the way they are but all the manipulation and Control when thing aren’t objective is a bit much for me to handle. Someone please enlighten me."

I think the problem is the two viruses are not really comparable I think what has required the implementation of restrictions and controls it the shear scale of the virus on a global level and it's ability to spread and survive in pretty much any climate or ecosystem in the world also the speed at which it is mutating, for instance I believe the flu virus only mutates quite slowly which is what makes it possible to control fairly easily with vaccines and natural immunity as it has been round a long time, where as the sars-cov2 is mutating very rapidly and being a new virus we don't have the luxury of any natural immunity to it so have to rely on vaccination and trying to physically limit its transmission until we have enough immunity and even then it only takes one mutation in the wrong direction for the mortality rate to spike massively and things will go to pot again, if you want to compare it with flu I would say the Spanish flu pandemic would be the closest and at the time that took out about 3% of the world's population. I think the problem is people seem to be viewing this on a kind of localised level if you see what I mean where as we need to look at this as a global event really, unchecked covid would with a 2% mortality rate kill about 156 million of the 7.8 billion population of the world but the the other thing to consider that you don't get with flu is long covid which even if you are in the 98% that survive the virus could leave you crippled for an unknown length of time possibly permanently so it's not as cut and dried as you survive the virus or don't. This is what in my opinion has caused the need for controls and restrictions to be put in place

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

The trouble is many people decide what outcome, what conclusion they want the science to support. And they can then construct a set of facts or data to point to that conclusion. There is also a desire to say because something works in Australia, that the same should work here.. Or indeed everywhere. There's a final phenomenon where there is no room for grey areas. Something is either right or wrong.. There is nothing in between... Something must be perfect or it's wrong, something must apply to everything or nothing. The Internet provides us this scientific decadence.... And it's filtering into proper science... The desire for something to happen doesn't mean that it will happen... Sometimes we have to tolerate, embrace and adapt to the imperfect.

By *andm300 OP   Man  over a year ago

guildford

Ok thanks guys. Your perspectives are useful. Something for me to consider without shoving a opinion down my neck which is what I am looking for. I am becoming stuck in a mistrustful way of looking at things.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

There's a site called Next Strain which monitors both Covid and flu mutation.

nr spalding

"Ok thanks guys. Your perspectives are useful. Something for me to consider without shoving a opinion down my neck which is what I am looking for. I am becoming stuck in a mistrustful way of looking at things."

The past year has been a massive struggle for everyone just take your time and remember to breathe there is so much information both plausible and not so much remember critical thinking is your friend so far the pandemic goes it's something that we are just unlucky to have experienced in our life time the handling of it probably hasbt been the best and that has had a knock on effect of breeding a lot of distrust for those in ppwer which is understandable all we can do is try and find a safe sensible way out of it now with as few deaths as possible

Tin town

"Ok thanks guys. Your perspectives are useful. Something for me to consider without shoving a opinion down my neck which is what I am looking for. I am becoming stuck in a mistrustful way of looking at things."

And sadly with good reason in many cases. It's not just the biased data gathering and presentation and interpretation its the vested interests of the bastard media stirring things with op Ed pieces. Sometimes blissful ignorance is better than death by a thousand stats... None of which you can understand or influence and which truthfully make little difference to one's life.

Care about what you can change or influence.

nr spalding

"There's a site called Next Strain which monitors both Covid and flu mutation."
ooh I wasn't aware of that will have to have a look sometime

Manchester (she/her)

"Ok thanks guys. Your perspectives are useful. Something for me to consider without shoving a opinion down my neck which is what I am looking for. I am becoming stuck in a mistrustful way of looking at things.

And sadly with good reason in many cases. It's not just the biased data gathering and presentation and interpretation its the vested interests of the bastard media stirring things with op Ed pieces. Sometimes blissful ignorance is better than death by a thousand stats... None of which you can understand or influence and which truthfully make little difference to one's life.

Care about what you can change or influence. "

I find the stats useful to guide my own behaviour. I'd rather have a handle on it as best I can - but obviously not everyone is wired like me (thank god )

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"Ok thanks guys. Your perspectives are useful. Something for me to consider without shoving a opinion down my neck which is what I am looking for. I am becoming stuck in a mistrustful way of looking at things.

I find the stats useful to guide my own behaviour. I'd rather have a handle on it as best I can - but obviously not everyone is wired like me (thank god )"

Weird...oh sorry “wired”

Manchester (she/her)

I find the stats useful to guide my own behaviour. I'd rather have a handle on it as best I can - but obviously not everyone is wired like me (thank god )

Weird...oh sorry “wired” "

Six to one, half a dozen to the other (I own my weird)

Tin town

I find the stats useful to guide my own behaviour. I'd rather have a handle on it as best I can - but obviously not everyone is wired like me (thank god )"

Well yes. I'm similar. But there is a danger in assuming that the definitions of the statistics are being adhered to when they are gathered. That they are not being changed and so invalidating the history to which it is being compared and that those doing it are accurate and competent. Additionally that data groups can be compared... A great example if the flexible to suit age groupings... 18 to 40, 18 to 44, 18 to 45, 18 to 50, and so on... Which makes comparisons impossible... And I have to suspect deliberately so because nobody with half a brain would keep coming up with new groupings... Would they?

Manchester (she/her)

Well yes. I'm similar. But there is a danger in assuming that the definitions of the statistics are being adhered to when they are gathered. That they are not being changed and so invalidating the history to which it is being compared and that those doing it are accurate and competent. Additionally that data groups can be compared... A great example if the flexible to suit age groupings... 18 to 40, 18 to 44, 18 to 45, 18 to 50, and so on... Which makes comparisons impossible... And I have to suspect deliberately so because nobody with half a brain would keep coming up with new groupings... Would they? "

I'm detail oriented enough to keep up with it.

If I can't find the way it's being measured I assume it's meaningless and look for a meaningful measure.

Tin town

Well yes. I'm similar. But there is a danger in assuming that the definitions of the statistics are being adhered to when they are gathered. That they are not being changed and so invalidating the history to which it is being compared and that those doing it are accurate and competent. Additionally that data groups can be compared... A great example if the flexible to suit age groupings... 18 to 40, 18 to 44, 18 to 45, 18 to 50, and so on... Which makes comparisons impossible... And I have to suspect deliberately so because nobody with half a brain would keep coming up with new groupings... Would they?

If I can't find the way it's being measured I assume it's meaningless and look for a meaningful measure."

do you find that there's an awful lot of "noise" out there and in particular when briefings happen... That they will have a new measure and new grouping which can't be aligned with anything else..?

Manchester (she/her)

If I can't find the way it's being measured I assume it's meaningless and look for a meaningful measure. do you find that there's an awful lot of "noise" out there and in particular when briefings happen... That they will have a new measure and new grouping which can't be aligned with anything else..? "

Yeah. Heaps of noise. But tbh I don't watch the briefings at all

» Add a new message to this topic