FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Is it any wonder?

Is it any wonder?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Just in a few pages of news..

A scientific expert says we are in a 3rd wave and need to get vaccinated with 2 jabs.

A top scientific expert says we are in a 3rd wave and lifting of restrictions is unlikely to be earlier than July 19th.

Another top scientific expert of vaccinology says we aren't in a 3rd wave and it's likely that restrictions will be lifted on 5th july

A scientific expert says there are new respiratory viruses and there will be more lockdowns in winter

And...

Another expert says this winter flu season could be worse than covid.

Follow the science.... If you can.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Science communication is difficult and the media have their own spin on what may or may not be effectively communicated.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

The scienctists all agree we should all be double vaccinated and take any flu or Covid boosters offered.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Science communication is difficult and the media have their own spin on what may or may not be effectively communicated."

This..

Been evident throughout that certain parts of the media have placed greater emphasis on different aspects..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The scienctists all agree we should all be double vaccinated and take any flu or Covid boosters offered. "

There you go OP...not difficult

Manchester (she/her)

"The scienctists all agree we should all be double vaccinated and take any flu or Covid boosters offered. "

There are some scientists who are scaremongering about the vaccines.

I think it's important to differentiate between "scientists" and "science".

A botanist (look, a scientist) might say that the vaccines are bad. Heck, a virologist might say so too.

But what's important is the data, the analysis, and these things coming towards a consensus. The scientific consensus is "the best knowledge we have" at the moment, which is the best we can do.

The problem is trying to discern that consensus as an outsider.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

#EnoughIsEnough

By *elnkazCouple  over a year ago

cheshire

They are all just contradicting each other...how can the flu be worse this yr as we are still wearing masks and hand wahing...i hope.. today i deleted the bbc app off my phone as fed up of the news on there . K

By *heltenhamBiGuyMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

"Unlikely"..."Likely"...."Possibly".... "Maybe".... "Conceivably".....

See the pattern? They are hedging their bets, erring on the side of caution so they can say "We told you so" should things worsen...... Positivity doesn't get them in the news or glamourous headlines, plus they would be there to be shot down should they be proven wrong.

Things will ease in time, it's just that no one atm can say definitively.

Manchester (she/her)

""Unlikely"..."Likely"...."Possibly".... "Maybe".... "Conceivably".....

See the pattern? They are hedging their bets, erring on the side of caution so they can say "We told you so" should things worsen...... Positivity doesn't get them in the news or glamourous headlines, plus they would be there to be shot down should they be proven wrong.

Things will ease in time, it's just that no one atm can say definitively."

This is another problem with communication. Those who know more tend not to speak in certainties. The more you know, the more you appreciate that there are variables you can't account for, things you don't yet know, things like that.

So "vaccine uptake will reduce transmission and our lives will get back to normal" becomes something more like "if vaccine uptake is high enough and evenly distributed, immunity doesn't wane in higher risk individuals, variants don't develop which threaten immunity, and we can mitigate large groups of unvaccinated people (children), and if other unknowns don't occur, then we may be able to reduce restrictions, in accordance with data and ongoing surveillance."

The second is more accurate, but people read it as uncertainty.

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Here is a fact COVID was 24 th in the league of death in May and made up less than 1 per cent of all deaths , ONS found COVID claimed 355 lives in May out of a total 35,401 which was 65 per cent down on April, 23 diseases and conditions killed more , you can expect even lower in June now so many more have had the Vaccine

The way I interpreted that, was the fact we ALWAYS have the NHS on its knees in winter due to Flu etc, we have been forced to wear face nappies, and locked up for over a year now and colds and flu arent challenging our natural immune systems, especially children,(when did you last have flu or a cold?),now that the "new symptoms of covid Delta"is a runny nose and sore throat I think there will be more jiggery-pokery of the figures,otherwise the pro-lockdowners and pro-jabbers might start to think theyve been taken for mugs!

in Lancashire

"Here is a fact COVID was 24 th in the league of death in May and made up less than 1 per cent of all deaths , ONS found COVID claimed 355 lives in May out of a total 35,401 which was 65 per cent down on April, 23 diseases and conditions killed more , you can expect even lower in June now so many more have had the Vaccine "

A much better situation than six months ago..

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"Here is a fact COVID was 24 th in the league of death in May and made up less than 1 per cent of all deaths , ONS found COVID claimed 355 lives in May out of a total 35,401 which was 65 per cent down on April, 23 diseases and conditions killed more , you can expect even lower in June now so many more have had the Vaccine

A much better situation than six months ago.. "

It is incredible how the vaccine is helping here. Just need more people to take it and the impact will be even less

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"Here is a fact COVID was 24 th in the league of death in May and made up less than 1 per cent of all deaths , ONS found COVID claimed 355 lives in May out of a total 35,401 which was 65 per cent down on April, 23 diseases and conditions killed more , you can expect even lower in June now so many more have had the Vaccine "

What were the other 23? What were the top 5?

Manchester (she/her)

"Here is a fact COVID was 24 th in the league of death in May and made up less than 1 per cent of all deaths , ONS found COVID claimed 355 lives in May out of a total 35,401 which was 65 per cent down on April, 23 diseases and conditions killed more , you can expect even lower in June now so many more have had the Vaccine

It is incredible how the vaccine is helping here. Just need more people to take it and the impact will be even less "

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

What were the other 23? What were the top 5?"

Not sure but it’s usually Cancer ,Heart attacks , Strokes ,always in the Top 5

Tin town

Death by social media?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There are of course many scientists, with many diverse areas and levels of expertise. As well as evidence that is in varied levels of completion - for some, data and evidence may be thinner on the ground and much more open to uncertainty and interpretation.

The benefits of the scientific process include progressive exploration and improvements, often aiding to refine uncertainties and potential conflicts of opinion.

Potentially, sometimes there is no 1 right answer and if we pursue action that is exclusive, we can only speculate what may have been instead, should we have followed a different path.

Those making policy have the benefit of multiple sources of expertise and the responsibilities of making those decisions that channel funding and resources, potentially to exclude some aspects that are deemed less critical, though experience may later dispute the validity of those decisions.

Life, health and science are complex, made more so, when political bent sways things.

The conflicts between whether we term this disease progression as x or y wave, are inferior to our decisions on how we protect the country as well as possible.

Our experience shows that our 2 areas of combating the virus - restrictions and vaccines - are both successful and there is some level of choice. Cutting the wrong corners and leaving us short, is potentially shortsighted, both in the short and longer term.

Flu is obviously an important issue to continue to address but our vaccination programme addresses this fairly well, subject to the vagaries of dominant strains and vaccine mix choices. Our NHS isn't particularly well resourced, so we must be mindful of potential covid and flu impacts in winter for some time to come.

in Lancashire

It is incredible how the vaccine is helping here. Just need more people to take it and the impact will be even less "

Totally..

It's good to see the last two cohorts getting booked up..

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

That's the joy of "Science" and that is how it works !! as they all agree to disagree and try their utmost to even disprove their own theories on stuff and then they all get in a room and thrash it out ..sort of ...and there is a actual thing as to much information and the one big problem with the 24 hour news cycle and of course each one has there own agenda ! and of course having a bunch of idiots in charge led by a liar who keeps the other idiots in their jobs because it deflects from how badly prepared he is for for the actual job he lied/schemed/panted after and had a few erotic fantasies over about getting because it was inane right to do it as he was born to lead ??? and went to the right school and stabbed just about anyone in the back to get it but it's not his fault as we do get the leaders we deserve not need !! or as the old classic from Fleetwood Mac out it better " Tell me lies...sweet little lies "

here

"Covid Counting Sees New Era as Threat Shifts Away From Cases - Vaccines start to break the link between infections and deaths; Hospitalizations become the primary measure of virus risk"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-20/covid-counting-enters-new-era-as-threat-shifts-away-from-cases

Tin town

What were the other 23? What were the top 5? Not sure but it’s usually Cancer ,Heart attacks , Strokes ,always in the Top 5 "

OK I'll do it...

From the ons monthly stats...

Interestingly all of the top 10 causes are below their 5 year average. Top 5 were.

Ischaemic heart disease

Alzheimers / dementia

Malignant neoplasm of lung

Cerebrovascular diseases

Chronic lower respiratory diseases

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

What were the other 23? What were the top 5? Not sure but it’s usually Cancer ,Heart attacks , Strokes ,always in the Top 5

OK I'll do it...

From the ons monthly stats...

Interestingly all of the top 10 causes are below their 5 year average. Top 5 were.

Ischaemic heart disease

Alzheimers / dementia

Malignant neoplasm of lung

Cerebrovascular diseases

Chronic lower respiratory diseases

"

Probably because a massive number of these were killed by covid during 2020, a year before their time. Hundreds of thousands of person-years of life that were stolen by bad government decisions.

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

I've got covid right now... I've had worse hangovers.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

[Removed by poster at 21/06/21 14:43:29]

in Lancashire

"I've got covid right now... I've had worse hangovers.

"

Get better soon and fingers crossed you avoid any of the long covid complications..

Brighton

What were the other 23? What were the top 5?

Death by social media? "

You jest but sometimes...!!!!!

By *wistedTooCouple  over a year ago

Frimley

"

Lucky you.

By *anny77Man  over a year ago

glasgow

"

And one of my friends, who seemingly had to underlying health conditions, died.

Just goes to show that it affects different people in different ways.

Consider yourself lucky.

glasgow

Consider yourself lucky."

That was supposed to say no not to

here

A much better situation than six months ago.. "

Perspective

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

Consider yourself lucky."

I totally do, I do recall about 12 years ago when I had the flu it absolutely floored me. Felt like I'd be run over by a bus several times then thrown out of a plane.

The weirdest thing is no taste or smell, drinking a coffee, I could be drinking warm piss and would not know the difference.

glasgow

Consider yourself lucky.

I totally do, I do recall about 12 years ago when I had the flu it absolutely floored me. Felt like I'd be run over by a bus several times then thrown out of a plane.

The weirdest thing is no taste or smell, drinking a coffee, I could be drinking warm piss and would not know the difference.

"

To be fair I’ve had coffees that taste like warm piss

But agree losing the taste of a good cup of coffee would be terrible!!!

in Lancashire

Consider yourself lucky.

"

That's part of why I don't use Sta##ucks..

By *ediMan  over a year ago

Leeds

I give up

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

Consider yourself lucky.

"

a good friend of mine had covid last year and she said the loss of taste and smell was the worst thing as it got to the point she was forgetting to eat because everything just tasted of nothing hope you recover soon with no lasting issues.

Manchester (she/her)

"

There's definitely a shit load of people who have taken advantage of the situation to line their own pockets. Starting with nearly everyone in our government - not because it's a global conspiracy, but because our government is the most corrupt set of individuals to ever hold high office in this country. And yeah, other political parties _might_ have been as bad, but it's the tories that actually _are_ embezzling public funds to the tune of hundreds of millions.

Then there's all the snake oil hucksters getting rich by taking advantage of the stupid and scared.

Big pharmaceutical companies might not be actually ripping people off, and do at least seem to be manufacturing real treatments, but certainly have not gone broke because of the crisis.

Amazon have cleaned up very nicely - not doing anything illegally, and have actually provided good service and value to the customers, there would have been a lot of people totally fucked if they hadn't been able to buy stuff online through this. But Jeff Bezos is clearly a quite unpleasant character, and as the richest person in the world he is noteworthy for giving very little for philanthropic causes (every other one of the world's 50 richest have pledged to give away at least half of their money during their lifetime).

The only "global conspiracy" going on is the same one that has been running for thousands of years - the people at the top rewarding themselves for trampling on the have-nots. In every layer below, the unscrupulous preying on the desperate. Most people who are genuinely good trying their best and being taken advantage of. The system, as normal, doing what it always does."

Yes. So much.

The conspiracy theories get in the way of cleaning up the mess and helping people - and standing a chance of solving any of these problems.

If xyz cheap drug works, prove it. If you think vaccines are more dangerous than they do good, prove it. Meanwhile the hucksters selling nonsense are making a fortune, and those in power get away with God only knows what. And we're no closer to figuring out how to undo that.

The conspiracies are just a distraction.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

From the ONS stats (England) cause, Welsh position in brackets for May

1. Ischaemic heart diseases (1)

2. Dementia and Alzheimer disease (2)

3. Malignant neoplasm of trachea bronchus and lung (4)

4. Cerebrovascular diseases (3)

5. Chronic lower respiratory diseases (5)

6. Malignant neoplasm of colon sigmoid rectum and anus (7)

7. Symptoms signs and ill-defined conditions (8)

8. Influenza and Pneumonia (6)

9. Malignant neoplasms stated or presumed to be primary of lymphoid haematopoietic and related tissue (10)

10. Malignant neoplasm of prostate (N/A in wales No 9 on the list is malignant neoplasm of the breast)

Brighton

Thanks. So cancers still dominate. Wonder how many late diagnosis or delayed treatments have happened as a result of Covid?

Tin town

"Thanks. So cancers still dominate. Wonder how many late diagnosis or delayed treatments have happened as a result of Covid?"

It's scary, and will have had a huge impact 6 months ago. though Im far from convinced the lack of prompt access to services can be blamed on covid now. I know 2 people who gave up accessing their gp as it was too hard and went to a and e instead. Just like the rest of us have to get used to living with it... So the nhs has got to get better at providing diagnostic and clinical services in this climate.

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

"Thanks. So cancers still dominate. Wonder how many late diagnosis or delayed treatments have happened as a result of Covid?

It's scary, and will have had a huge impact 6 months ago. though Im far from convinced the lack of prompt access to services can be blamed on covid now. I know 2 people who gave up accessing their gp as it was too hard and went to a and e instead. Just like the rest of us have to get used to living with it... So the nhs has got to get better at providing diagnostic and clinical services in this climate. "

The problem is people being so used to access right now, particularly to gp's, quite often appointments are taken by people who don't need them, which puts a huge strain on the service.

The NHS is a great thing, but it is misused and it wastes alot of the funding it receives, hopefully the covid crisis might help change some things.

Tin town

"Thanks. So cancers still dominate. Wonder how many late diagnosis or delayed treatments have happened as a result of Covid?

It's scary, and will have had a huge impact 6 months ago. though Im far from convinced the lack of prompt access to services can be blamed on covid now. I know 2 people who gave up accessing their gp as it was too hard and went to a and e instead. Just like the rest of us have to get used to living with it... So the nhs has got to get better at providing diagnostic and clinical services in this climate.

The problem is people being so used to access right now, particularly to gp's, quite often appointments are taken by people who don't need them, which puts a huge strain on the service.

The NHS is a great thing, but it is misused and it wastes alot of the funding it receives, hopefully the covid crisis might help change some things. "

Lets hope so... Can't see it happening at the moment... In fact the opposite is true. All my local health service have done is build some really big walls preventing or delaying access. What I do see is much more paperwork, surveys, text messages and emails adding no value.

On a mooch

It's scary, and will have had a huge impact 6 months ago. though Im far from convinced the lack of prompt access to services can be blamed on covid now. I know 2 people who gave up accessing their gp as it was too hard and went to a and e instead. Just like the rest of us have to get used to living with it... So the nhs has got to get better at providing diagnostic and clinical services in this climate. "

For me this is one thing that has improved under covid, access to a GP. The new econsult is working great, get a call back that morning and if need to be seen in person you go in that day or meds sent to pharmacy. Before this we needed to know we’d be sick in two weeks time to get anywhere near a gp I hope this remains in our area.

Leeds

"

For me this is one thing that has improved under covid, access to a GP. The new econsult is working great, get a call back that morning and if need to be seen in person you go in that day or meds sent to pharmacy. Before this we needed to know we’d be sick in two weeks time to get anywhere near a gp I hope this remains in our area. "

The problem is this doesn't work for people who can't access a phone while they work eg teachers, checkout staff, bus drivers and lots of other professions.

On a mooch

"

For me this is one thing that has improved under covid, access to a GP. The new econsult is working great, get a call back that morning and if need to be seen in person you go in that day or meds sent to pharmacy. Before this we needed to know we’d be sick in two weeks time to get anywhere near a gp I hope this remains in our area.

The problem is this doesn't work for people who can't access a phone while they work eg teachers, checkout staff, bus drivers and lots of other professions. "

I understand that, for ours we can enter a best time to call, so that should hopefully solve that.

By *rman82Man  over a year ago

Manchester

"Just in a few pages of news..

A scientific expert says we are in a 3rd wave and need to get vaccinated with 2 jabs.

A top scientific expert says we are in a 3rd wave and lifting of restrictions is unlikely to be earlier than July 19th.

Another top scientific expert of vaccinology says we aren't in a 3rd wave and it's likely that restrictions will be lifted on 5th july

A scientific expert says there are new respiratory viruses and there will be more lockdowns in winter

And...

Follow the science.... If you can."

I prefer the good old days when scientists stayed in labs and weren’t on the news. All this ‘scientists say’ rubbish is getting boring.

Tin town

"

The problem is this doesn't work for people who can't access a phone while they work eg teachers, checkout staff, bus drivers and lots of other professions. "

For mine... Its either urgent or non urgent. Urgent you get a call back in 48 hours. Non urgent 14 days. From an unknown number... (so if you block unknown numbers your fucked... If you're at work or out your fucked... Its a 30 minute average wait time if you call them to get your call answered. To speak to a receptionist. The call back could be a Dr or it could be a secretary or a nurse....youbhave to then beg and plead to get a face to face appt. So far it's taken me 5 weeks. I have an appt to see "someone" tomorrow. Its a nonsense.

Which scientists all agree that we should get civic jabs and boosters ?

Leeds

"Which scientists all agree that we should get civic jabs and boosters ? "

The ones on the SAGE committee

Manchester (she/her)

Those who evaluated, debated, critiqued, etc the data on the approved vaccines.

Those involved in the approval processes in Europe, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, the US, Canada, Israel, Japan, and... yeah pretty much every other country in the world. (Scientists and doctors)

You know. A handful of them

Have you got the names of these scientists please, would like to check them out

By *elshcouple18Couple  over a year ago

Cardiff

Lucky you."

oh lucky you, love it when the forum throws up a really hot couple.. almost makes covid worthwhile..

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The vaccines are almost universally agreed as right. Our acquired immunity from them is not expected to be permanent and, due to us choosing not to eradicate the virus but to live with it in this country, we will need boosters to reestablish it. If new variants arise that aren't countered by the vaccines, we'd need to get an updated booster too.

Living in a country where flu, covid and other problems cycle each year l, it makes sense for a very high proportion of the population to get vaccinated annually, to support people who can't get them. These are long established measures to sustain community health

By *matoMan  over a year ago

Around here

"all agree"? NO THEY DON'T

it's only the ones that are not silenced and you can easily find.

I'm talking of real experts / scientists (not crackpot loonies) with long established credentials who commited the sin of "not following the mandatory script" and have been pushed out of any media with larger audience.

Get better soon and fingers crossed you avoid any of the long covid complications.."

Long Covid I take it theres no testfor that

"Which scientists all agree that we should get civic jabs and boosters ?

The vaccines are almost universally agreed as right. Our acquired immunity from them is not expected to be permanent and, due to us choosing not to eradicate the virus but to live with it in this country, we will need boosters to reestablish it. If new variants arise that aren't countered by the vaccines, we'd need to get an updated booster too.

Living in a country where flu, covid and other problems cycle each year l, it makes sense for a very high proportion of the population to get vaccinated annually, to support people who can't get them. These are long established measures to sustain community health "

Governed by fear so sad

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

Get better soon and fingers crossed you avoid any of the long covid complications..

Long Covid I take it theres no testfor that "

Nope because it's a term used to encompass the lasting damage caused by the virus, it can be any number of issues that a patient is left with after they recover from the I initial covid infection, such as breathing difficulties, heart conditions (my brother has had heart palpitations since catching covid last summer) lasting fatigue and a wide range of other issues that the patient didn't have before infection, sadly this is one of the things we will be left with even after we get the virus under control

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"The scienctists all agree we should all be double vaccinated and take any flu or Covid boosters offered.

I'm talking of real experts / scientists (not crackpot loonies) with long established credentials who commited the sin of "not following the mandatory script" and have been pushed out of any media with larger audience. "

…of course you are. It is great that you have so much access to the real facts. I’m sorry, but the vast, vast majority of evidence is that vaccines have brought down the death rate, the severity of illness and will allow us to keep the death rate at a less than awful level. All other approaches led to or are leading to much higher deaths - check Brazil out

My first friend who has had both vaccinations is now confirmed as having covid,luckily not hospitalised,but infection rates now rising and reported that a new wave expected in October,is this ever going to end,or should we just say fuck it and try and get back some normality

Around here

"The scienctists all agree we should all be double vaccinated and take any flu or Covid boosters offered.

I'm talking of real experts / scientists (not crackpot loonies) with long established credentials who commited the sin of "not following the mandatory script" and have been pushed out of any media with larger audience.

…of course you are. It is great that you have so much access to the real facts. I’m sorry, but the vast, vast majority of evidence is that vaccines have brought down the death rate, the severity of illness and will allow us to keep the death rate at a less than awful level. All other approaches led to or are leading to much higher deaths - check Brazil out "

No one stops you from looking at sites for professionals in medicine - most of them have restricted access (for professionals only, by paid subscription only) but there is still enough of them sites where anyone can find full text articles.

And...

Follow the science.... If you can."

just live your life each day remember fear lowers imune system

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

And...

Follow the science.... If you can. just live your life each day remember fear lowers imune system "

I really worry about those AntiVaxxers then, they seem to be scared of almost everything... masks, radio signals, tiny needles, rules, science, common sense, etc...

Cal

Around here

And all that despite massaging the statistics to have as many "covid deaths" as possible. But behavioral scientist have done a damn good job - still a lot of people scared shitless!

No they don't, that's ridiculous.

There has very rarely if ever been a scientific consensus on anything. Covid being far from it.

And...

Follow the science.... If you can. just live your life each day remember fear lowers imune system

I really worry about those AntiVaxxers then, they seem to be scared of almost everything... masks, radio signals, tiny needles, rules, science, common sense, etc...

Cal"

Genuine question.

I choose not to have it because I'm not in a demographic and health condition that has pretty much zero chance whatsoever of death from covid (I think about 400 in total since last march). Baring that in mind any risks from the vaccine are almost entirely 100% unnecessary. Why would I put myself in unnecessary risk?

And the bigger follow up question... Given the vaccine only protects the individual and not those around us... Why does anyone care if I have it or not? Why do people advertise it on profiles as though they are somehow safer?

As someone else said, the behavioural scientists have done a brilliant job in making it more of a virtue signalling/political gesture than a health one.

I am in a***

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

And...

Follow the science.... If you can. just live your life each day remember fear lowers imune system

Cal

Genuine question.

I choose not to have it because I'm not in a demographic and health condition that has pretty much zero chance whatsoever of death from covid (I think about 400 in total since last march). Baring that in mind any risks from the vaccine are almost entirely 100% unnecessary. Why would I put myself in unnecessary risk?

And the bigger follow up question... Given the vaccine only protects the individual and not those around us... Why does anyone care if I have it or not? Why do people advertise it on profiles as though they are somehow safer?

As someone else said, the behavioural scientists have done a brilliant job in making it more of a virtue signalling/political gesture than a health one."

You should do abit of research into vaccines and their purpose, you seem to misunderstand the point of vaccines.

Also, death isn't the only bad outcome from catching covid, there are millions of people suffering with long covid, including children and people not in the vulnerable category.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

And...

Cal

-------

Genuine question.

As someone else said, the behavioural scientists have done a brilliant job in making it more of a virtue signalling/political gesture than a health one."

Firstly, there is a big difference between not getting yourself vaccinated, and actively promoting misinformation in an attempt to stop others from being infected.

Secondly, the risk levels from being vaccinated have been shown to be tiny. These vaccines have actually been shown to be amongst the safest ever.

Thirdly, it is well documented that the vaccines DO actually decrease the chances of both catching the virus and consequently passing it on to others. A fully vaccinated person is over 95% less likely to infect others... so those people putting it on their profiles actually ARE safer, much safer.

Yes there is a bit of "Virtue Signalling" involved, but that is a 1000% times better than propagating lies & misinformation from facebook & youtube.

Cal

Tin town

And all that despite massaging the statistics to have as many "covid deaths" as possible. But behavioral scientist have done a damn good job - still a lot of people scared shitless!"

I don't think people are scared shitless. I think some people are being sensibly cautious, some have thrown caution to the wind and some are worried, it will take time. But let's look at the facts...lots of People know people who have been killed with it or have long covid...so because they aren't immediately jumping all over eachother on 19th July, and following some distancing measures... They may need... When the time is right a bit of help. Rather than throwing scorn upon them.

Tin town

And...

Cal

-------

Genuine question.

As someone else said, the behavioural scientists have done a brilliant job in making it more of a virtue signalling/political gesture than a health one.

Firstly, there is a big difference between not getting yourself vaccinated, and actively promoting misinformation in an attempt to stop others from being infected.

Secondly, the risk levels from being vaccinated have been shown to be tiny. These vaccines have actually been shown to be amongst the safest ever.

Thirdly, it is well documented that the vaccines DO actually decrease the chances of both catching the virus and consequently passing it on to others. A fully vaccinated person is over 95% less likely to infect others... so those people putting it on their profiles actually ARE safer, much safer.

Yes there is a bit of "Virtue Signalling" involved, but that is a 1000% times better than propagating lies & misinformation from facebook & youtube.

Cal"

I'm generally supportive of doing what we can to get away from this place... But I'm curious where the figure of 95% less likely to infect others is arrived at... With whatever the numbers are now being vaccinated (we are repeatedly told how marvellous our vaccine program is) and yet infections from delta variant are out of control... Those two facts seem in conflict to me. If the vaccine was as good at stemming infections as 95 %, then surely new and now repeat infections would not be running as exponentially high as they are? Just doesn't make sense to me. Since Javid has taken over it seems to have become even more of a giant petri dish. The messaging seeming to be "get on with it, please everyone go out and catch it and spread it, we have now given up, but by the way, you can expect the numbers to go crazy"

Are you suggesting that we don’t follow the science because it’s complicated?

» Add a new message to this topic