FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Lateral flow - how unreliable?

Lateral flow - how unreliable?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *spotpleasurer OP   Man  over a year ago

Norwich

Innova, the company that makes the kit, has withdrawn its application for emergency use in the US, as they know it won't be granted. I've pasted some text from an article in Chemical & Engineering News, you can read the full piece there-

“Stop using the Innova SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Qualitative Test.” That was the stark warning to the public from the US Food and Drug Administration on June 10, about an unapproved rapid lateral flow test used to diagnose COVID-19. Among a litany of concerns, the FDA said that the test posed a health risk because of its potential to deliver false results. And to underscore the message, the FDA added that users should “destroy the tests by placing them in the trash.”

Innova’s test forms the backbone of the government’s Operation Moonshot COVID-19 screening program. The UK’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) scrambled to order and review a risk assessment of the test, which is used for routine screening of millions of asymptomatic people in the UK every week.

"Our priority is to ensure patients and the public have access to safe and effective medical devices and tests,” Graeme Tunbridge, the MHRA’s director of devices, says in a June 17 press release. He says, “We have now concluded our review of the risk assessment and are satisfied that no further action is necessary or advisable at this time.”

Proponents say that such tests offer a quick way to identify people infected with SARS-CoV-2, even if they show no symptoms. But some researchers have questioned the accuracy of the Innova test, and its use in mass screening, because it misses many of the positive cases that could be identified by slower reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests, widely regarded as the gold standard diagnostic. “This is a first-generation test that can only detect high levels of virus, it was never designed as a test for asymptomatic use,” says Jonathan J. Deeks, a biostatistician at the University of Birmingham who leads an ongoing review of the accuracy of SARS-CoV-2 tests for the UK-based charity Cochrane.

The sensitivity of the test also depends on who uses it. An assessment ordered by the UK government found that when laboratory scientists conducted the tests, it caught 79% of positive samples, but when used by members of the public, that sensitivity fell to 58%.

The controversy has not stopped the UK government from awarding Innova more than £3 billion ($4.2 billion) in contracts to supply the tests. This is only possible because the MHRA issued an exceptional use authorization in December 2020 allowing the tests to be self-administered at home by asymptomatic people. However, that approval came with stringent conditions. For example, the agency said it did not support using negative results from the test as a ‘passport’ to access school, workplaces, or services. In April, the regulator complained that the government’s widening use of the tests was stretching this condition of the authorization.

By early June, about 3.5 million of Innova’s lateral flow tests were being conducted per week. In total, Innova has supplied the UK with over 1 billion tests, which have returned more than 180,000 positive results since they were first introduced.

The controversy exemplifies a wider problem with the authorization of diagnostic tests, according to a report from the UK’s Royal Statistical Society (RSS) published on June 9. The regulation of medical devices around the world tends to be far less rigorous than that of drugs or vaccines, and largely relies on a ‘self-certification’ process, says Sheila M. Bird, a member of the society’s working group on diagnostic tests, and formerly Programme Leader at the MRC Biostatistics Unit in Cambridge, England.

Although manufacturers often evaluate their tests in clinical settings, she adds, these diagnostics may end up being used in very different contexts once they reach the market.

“The self-certification by Innova was for use in symptomatic persons, but it is now being used for mass screening of asymptomatic persons,” Bird says. “They need to be evaluated in each specific context of use.”

Deeks, who co-chairs the RSS’s working group, notes that there are still no published studies about how well the test can detect cases in children, or when used for self-testing by asymptomatic people—both key components of the government’s testing program.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's definitely worrying

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Op I kinda lost interest after the first few lines.. very long post.

But I think it's dangerous to rely 100% on the test kit and a certain amount of common sense must be used, sadly if nothing else this past year or so has proven that people seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and use common sense.

Personally as a complete lay person with no medical training I would say.

If you feel symptomatic do a test if it's negative and you still have symptoms no matter how mild call 111 and book a full test.

Like many things the test is probably open to user error.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Op I kinda lost interest after the first few lines.. very long post.

But I think it's dangerous to rely 100% on the test kit and a certain amount of common sense must be used, sadly if nothing else this past year or so has proven that people seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and use common sense.

If you feel symptomatic do a test if it's negative and you still have symptoms no matter how mild call 111 and book a full test.

Like many things the test is probably open to user error."

Common sense for many is probably around 20% or less.....

Manchester (she/her)

It's supposed to be being used as a green light for the asymptomatic. Potentially even when exposure has known to have occurred (to prevent school closures). What unreliability is acceptable in those circumstances?

(I've only used it as a screen myself - I have no known exposure, I'm going somewhere marginally risky to others, just in case)

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Agree it’s a first point test, if worried get a PCR test done for confirmation

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

It's a very difficult situation. In an ideal world there would be an easy to use home test, with perfect safety, that was 100% certain of catching every infected person and 100% certain of clearing every uninfected person. But reality isn't like that, it's not even possible to have any test method that across the board gives 100% certainty of yes/no diagnosis. Anything that is sensitive enough to catch all infected will give some amount of false positives. And vice versa. In the real world there will always be some misleading results in both directions.

Big question is, are the LFT's better than nothing? I don't know the answer. Are they being used for a valid purpose? I don't know the answer.

But at least the question is being raised on the global stage and hopefully there will both be better awareness of the need for careful interpretation of results, and future improvement in the testing methods.

By *skyouneverknowMan  over a year ago

Calne

Anthony Fauci advised doing one of 2 things with them:

1. Put them in the bin

2. Return to manufacturers

He advised that under no circumstances should they be used.

Guess that it's just another example of billions of pounds of our money being wasted

By *ap AdgeMan  over a year ago

Chester

They dont work period

Manchester (she/her)

"It's a very difficult situation. In an ideal world there would be an easy to use home test, with perfect safety, that was 100% certain of catching every infected person and 100% certain of clearing every uninfected person. But reality isn't like that, it's not even possible to have any test method that across the board gives 100% certainty of yes/no diagnosis. Anything that is sensitive enough to catch all infected will give some amount of false positives. And vice versa. In the real world there will always be some misleading results in both directions.

Big question is, are the LFT's better than nothing? I don't know the answer. Are they being used for a valid purpose? I don't know the answer.

But at least the question is being raised on the global stage and hopefully there will both be better awareness of the need for careful interpretation of results, and future improvement in the testing methods."

I suppose my issue is - it's being raised as an issue overseas and yet it's being proposed to use *more broadly* here.

This is not a way to suppress an epidemic

By *ap AdgeMan  over a year ago

Chester

They dont work period

couple, us we him her.

"They dont work period "

And your point is?

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

"They dont work period "

Well they do, they just aren't totally accurate in all cases.

Imo, if people think they may have been exposed to covid, they should book a pcr test, along with the 2x lft tests per week. Unfortunately, we cannot provide every person with 2x pcr tests per week so the lft's are the next best thing, however, more general common sense is needed in the population.

By *spotpleasurer OP   Man  over a year ago

Norwich

Apologies for the long post, it was actually a condensed version of the article ...

Among the bits that I left out, the FDA note there are also quality issues with the product. The FDA’s inspection found that Innova’s quality assurance of the kit, which is manufactured in China and then imported, was inadequate.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

They are not reliable enough to work in the way the government wanted them to work when it bought them. They would probably catch an infection outbreak in a school or workplace if lots of people tested positive at the same time, but for am individual they pretty much useless. Operation moonshot was always going to not work. The government has paid many billions for these tests they may as well use them for something. I think the use by dates are up fairly shortly.i know where I work no more free lft tests soon.

They have actually made a difference to my nhs trust the last I heard it had found over 150 cases in staff that would have come to work until symptoms arose which the lateral flows picked up on. Including my friend and her family. So although not amazingly reliable they are still better than nothing

Really reliable if you use Coca-Cola. Red bull or apple juice. Positive every time

Durham

"Really reliable if you use Coca-Cola. Red bull or apple juice. Positive every time "

That is absolute hogwash.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

"Anthony Fauci advised doing one of 2 things with them:

1. Put them in the bin

Guess that it's just another example of billions of pounds of our money being wasted"

Well, that's okay then. His advice has always been sound and he hasn't been involved in some fucked up shit from the beginning of this

couple, us we him her.

I am once again baffled as to why people are so negative and against this.

People complained about their"freedoms" and not wanting lockdowns,mass isolation and so on.

So the government in a very short time produced a track and trace system whilst flawed as it relied alot up on honesty, then people complained,so once again a quick and easy triage style test is introduced first to keyworkers and NHS staff then shortly after free to everyone everywhere nationally.

Once again as I said before this is subject to human error.

But my point is when are people going to be satisfied?

The government is flawed and made mistakes but show me a single government that hasn't?

Why are people so set on knocking down everything done to reduce the spread of the virus and understand it's nature.

I'm not a Tory, I have zero allegiance to any political party, can't remember the last time I read a newspaper so I have no agenda.

Have we become so cynical and anti trusting of everyone and everything ?

I have no idea how accurate the Tests are but I will continue to use them as requested because if they save even one life in my book that's worth while.

By *ess King tvTV/TS  over a year ago

KING'S LYNN

Lateral flows arent flawless. But if you test poz u probably are poz

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"They dont work period "
we have found them very useful in our care home. It picked up a couple of cases that if we had waited for symptoms to show we could have had a problem. 2 residents and 1 staff member tested positive .. they then had it confirmed via pcr.... we then went to checks before every shift for staff and daily for residents. This however was before everyone was vaccinated... since then we have only had 1 case.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I don't think there's new information here, apart from a US decision. The known material facts remain the same. Like all tools, the value is in the way that they are used and understood. Their accuracy and purpose have been discussed here for several months

The LFTs I've been getting in the post from the NHS website are made in China, which was a poor decision in my opinion. They are made by Xiamen Biotime Biotechnology Co., Ltd., and imported by Lotus Global Co., Ltd.

By *skyouneverknowMan  over a year ago

Calne

"Anthony Fauci advised doing one of 2 things with them:

1. Put them in the bin

Guess that it's just another example of billions of pounds of our money being wastedWell, that's okay then. His advice has always been sound and he hasn't been involved in some fucked up shit from the beginning of this "

He had to try and manage Trump - all the experts with arrogant male leaders have struggled to be honest

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

It’s really simple. Got symptoms get a pcr test, no ifs or buts. Got a population in which you want to try pick up and isolate as many asymptotic carriers as possible, get them to regularly self test with lateral flow.

Lateral flow tests are not to confirm suspected Covid rather they help to pick up some of those who don’t even know they have it

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"The LFTs I've been getting in the post from the NHS website are made in China, which was a poor decision in my opinion. They are made by Xiamen Biotime Biotechnology Co., Ltd., and imported by Lotus Global Co., Ltd. "

Yes, same as the ones we have.

teleford

But yes, we have wasted billions on them

Rather than hand them out like sweets there should have been 2 national test days 5 days apart. If everyone tested with lateral flow in those two days it would have picked up a good 80% of asymptomatic cases. These could them have been isolated before spreading it further and cases would have plummeted. This could then have been repeated a 4,8,12 weeks later, whenever required to quell the next wave.. im sure it would have been more effective and required fewer tests to do everyone this way than the number of tests the government has bought to date!

By *ez1987Man  over a year ago

Great Harwood, Blackburn

I don't 100% trust the lateral floe tests, I was issued a box of work to do regular home tests prior to starting my shift, and on one occasion it gave me a false reading.

I took the test and it came back as negative, I felt like total crap that morning when I woke up but my gut feeling said don't go in work till I did some other pre covid checks, temp, oxygen Sat's, pulse etc.

I had typical covid symptoms so booked in for a proper pcr test. And so glad I did because it came back as positive.

End of the day. The lft are only partial good. But its better than nothing

teleford

"Apologies for the long post, it was actually a condensed version of the article ...

Among the bits that I left out, the FDA note there are also quality issues with the product. The FDA’s inspection found that Innova’s quality assurance of the kit, which is manufactured in China and then imported, was inadequate."

China and quality don’t usually go in the same sentence without the word poor

"I don't 100% trust the lateral floe tests, I was issued a box of work to do regular home tests prior to starting my shift, and on one occasion it gave me a false reading.

I took the test and it came back as negative, I felt like total crap that morning when I woke up but my gut feeling said don't go in work till I did some other pre covid checks, temp, oxygen Sat's, pulse etc.

I had typical covid symptoms so booked in for a proper pcr test. And so glad I did because it came back as positive.

End of the day. The lft are only partial good. But its better than nothing "

to be fair it does say dont use a lft if you have symptoms...

"Really reliable if you use Coca-Cola. Red bull or apple juice. Positive every time

That is absolute hogwash."

Ok. That's why it was proved in the Austrian parliament by an mp in front of everyone. Haha ok

That's my evidence. Now Where's yours?????

"I don't 100% trust the lateral floe tests, I was issued a box of work to do regular home tests prior to starting my shift, and on one occasion it gave me a false reading.

End of the day. The lft are only partial good. But its better than nothing "

So you used them wrong and then blame the tools

It clearly states if at anytime you have symptoms isolate and book a PCR test. LFTs are only to be used as a precautionary measure to pick up cases that wouldn’t have been picked up asymptotically

In simple terms LFT is like the pull out method, a PCR is a morning after pill

Durham

"Really reliable if you use Coca-Cola. Red bull or apple juice. Positive every time

Ok. That's why it was proved in the Austrian parliament by an mp in front of everyone. Haha ok "

No it doesn't. This is a very old trope and has been fact check lots of times.You have obviously never done an LFT. There are 3 possible outcomes positive negative and test failed. This happens when there is insufficient biological sample say when you use soft drink instead of a real sample.

Manchester (she/her)

"That's my evidence. Now Where's yours?????"

Fake news.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-coca-cola-positive-covid-te-idUSKBN28W20Q

Common sense for many is probably around 20% or less....."

[Removed by poster at 25/06/21 12:23:07]

Ok. That's why it was proved in the Austrian parliament by an mp in front of everyone. Haha ok

No it doesn't. This is a very old trope and has been fact check lots of times.You have obviously never done an LFT. There are 3 possible outcomes positive negative and test failed. This happens when there is insufficient biological sample say when you use soft drink instead of a real sample. "

search you tube for POLITICIAN IN AUSTRIA Coca-Cola RAPID TEST IN PARLIAMENT. Guy does the test in the parliament and gets a positive.

Had me fooled. Very clever fake I guess.

How many cycles should PCR be run at? Just curious

No it doesn't. This is a very old trope and has been fact check lots of times.You have obviously never done an LFT. There are 3 possible outcomes positive negative and test failed. This happens when there is insufficient biological sample say when you use soft drink instead of a real sample.

search you tube for POLITICIAN IN AUSTRIA Coca-Cola RAPID TEST IN PARLIAMENT. Guy does the test in the parliament and gets a positive.

How many cycles should PCR be run at? Just curious "

So basically you CAN get a positive with Coca-Cola if not done correctly. Of course Bob the retired postman helping out with the tests will always get it right

No room for human error whatsoever

By *orders CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Kelso

Common sense for many is probably around 20% or less....."

Common sense is a rare commodity!

teleford

So basically you CAN get a positive with Coca-Cola if not done correctly. Of course Bob the retired postman helping out with the tests will always get it right

No room for human error whatsoever "

A false positive than can be confirmed or eliminated with pcr is far better than a false negative... and one false negative alongside 9 positives from a group unaware the are infected is far better than those 10 infected people all being untested and unaware. It’s not that hard to understand is it!!

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

No room for human error whatsoever

A false positive than can be confirmed or eliminated with pcr is far better than a false negative... and one false negative alongside 9 positives from a group unaware the are infected is far better than those 10 infected people all being untested and unaware. It’s not that hard to understand is it!!"

No such thing as asymptomatic infectiousness though.

Study of 10 million Chinese found NO evidence of asymptomatic infection.

Fa cup, eurovision song contest, Liverpool rave.

60000 people.

15 positives after the event.

No evidence of asymptomatic infection.

You have to be shedding (sick and showing symptoms to be infectious)

Asymptomatic bollocks is used to maintain fear.

"No such thing as asymptomatic infectiousness though.

60000 people.

Asymptomatic bollocks is used to maintain fear."

utter rubbish.. we had 2 residents.. showing no symptoms but had covid.. which was confirmed.

[Removed by poster at 25/06/21 13:21:00]

Utter rubbish????

Have you researched into those studies?

HAD Covid but no symptoms.

How was that confirmed?

They tested positive in a pcr?

How many cycles was the pcr run at?

What utter nonsense

Dudley

60000 people.

The lancet has an interesting article about asymptomatic spread and also explains why the Chinese came to the conclusion they did.

Manchester (she/her)

"Utter rubbish????

How was that confirmed?

What utter nonsense "

Yes, I have.

60000 people.

I’ve heard it all now!!! A lot of infections can be asymptomatic. Covid. STIs. Influenza etc etc but you can carry them and pass them on. If you think you can only get infections with symptoms then I suggest you resit your science GCSEs

60000 people.

Asymptomatic bollocks is used to maintain fear.

I’ve heard it all now!!! A lot of infections can be asymptomatic. Covid. STIs. Influenza etc etc but you can carry them and pass them on. If you think you can only get infections with symptoms then I suggest you resit your science GCSEs "

Yes these are very basic scientific facts. I'm shocked (probably shouldn't be at this stage) that someone of his age group, this far into a global pandemic, would still be so ignorant of these basic scientific facts.

I guess herpes would be a good example? Most of the population has the herpes virus in their system, but not everyone develops symptoms or has an outbreak. Slightly different in terms of transmissibility, but still disproves his 'there's no such thing as being asymptomatic' rubbish. It's common for men with chlamydia or gonorrhea to display no symptoms.

"

"

Tell me you don't know how PCR works without telling me... etc. etc.

"Utter rubbish????

How was that confirmed?

What utter nonsense "

asymptomatic cases are a real issue... and I haven't but I know people that had it without any symptoms. Was picked up initially with lft then confirmed with pcr test

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

Lateral flow kits are better than nothing, but not great.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"Utter rubbish????

How was that confirmed?

What utter nonsense "

A friend of mine is part of a trial and gets tested for antibodies each month. They were clear for the first couple and have been positive ever since. Asymptomatic covid case...

scotland

"Lateral flow kits are better than nothing, but not great. "

Exactly. If someone tests positive using lateral flow tests then, in theory, they isolate and don't spread it. This reduces the r0. Every time we take preventative action against the virus we reduce its spread.

Unfortunately some people don't seem into realise that these precautions we take don't all have to be 100% accurate or effective. masks and vaccines aren't but they certainly do help to drive down numbers. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do to prevent stupidity.

Manchester (she/her)

"Lateral flow kits are better than nothing, but not great.

Exactly. If someone tests positive using lateral flow tests then, in theory, they isolate and don't spread it. This reduces the r0. Every time we take preventative action against the virus we reduce its spread.

Unfortunately some people don't seem into realise that these precautions we take don't all have to be 100% accurate or effective. masks and vaccines aren't but they certainly do help to drive down numbers. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do to prevent stupidity."

If you test positive on lateral flow you should order a PCR. (And isolate)

I'd only ever use them as a check that I'm probably ok, a risk reduction, when I'm asymptomatic.

Dudley

Unfortunately some people don't seem into realise that these precautions we take don't all have to be 100% accurate or effective. masks and vaccines aren't but they certainly do help to drive down numbers. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do to prevent stupidity."

Exactly, all of the precautions together give us the highest chance of protecting the entire population, as long as people stop making shit up and being offended just for the sake of being offended.

Manchester (she/her)

Unfortunately some people don't seem into realise that these precautions we take don't all have to be 100% accurate or effective. masks and vaccines aren't but they certainly do help to drive down numbers. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do to prevent stupidity.

Exactly, all of the precautions together give us the highest chance of protecting the entire population, as long as people stop making shit up and being offended just for the sake of being offended. "

For me, I use them, but I worry about the wider effect if they're not good enough. I do all I can.

Like, I look both ways before I cross the road. But if the only place to cross is a blind spot for pedestrians where drivers are known to drive way over the speed limit, I'll also write to my local council asking what can be done to reduce the risk.

By *nicecoupleXCouple  over a year ago

Hitch

"Innova, the company that makes the kit, has withdrawn its application for emergency use in the US, as they know it won't be granted. I've pasted some text from an article in Chemical & Engineering News, you can read the full piece there-

“Stop using the Innova SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Qualitative Test.” That was the stark warning to the public from the US Food and Drug Administration on June 10, about an unapproved rapid lateral flow test used to diagnose COVID-19. Among a litany of concerns, the FDA said that the test posed a health risk because of its potential to deliver false results. And to underscore the message, the FDA added that users should “destroy the tests by placing them in the trash.”

Innova’s test forms the backbone of the government’s Operation Moonshot COVID-19 screening program. The UK’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) scrambled to order and review a risk assessment of the test, which is used for routine screening of millions of asymptomatic people in the UK every week.

"Our priority is to ensure patients and the public have access to safe and effective medical devices and tests,” Graeme Tunbridge, the MHRA’s director of devices, says in a June 17 press release. He says, “We have now concluded our review of the risk assessment and are satisfied that no further action is necessary or advisable at this time.”

Proponents say that such tests offer a quick way to identify people infected with SARS-CoV-2, even if they show no symptoms. But some researchers have questioned the accuracy of the Innova test, and its use in mass screening, because it misses many of the positive cases that could be identified by slower reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests, widely regarded as the gold standard diagnostic. “This is a first-generation test that can only detect high levels of virus, it was never designed as a test for asymptomatic use,” says Jonathan J. Deeks, a biostatistician at the University of Birmingham who leads an ongoing review of the accuracy of SARS-CoV-2 tests for the UK-based charity Cochrane.

The sensitivity of the test also depends on who uses it. An assessment ordered by the UK government found that when laboratory scientists conducted the tests, it caught 79% of positive samples, but when used by members of the public, that sensitivity fell to 58%.

The controversy has not stopped the UK government from awarding Innova more than £3 billion ($4.2 billion) in contracts to supply the tests. This is only possible because the MHRA issued an exceptional use authorization in December 2020 allowing the tests to be self-administered at home by asymptomatic people. However, that approval came with stringent conditions. For example, the agency said it did not support using negative results from the test as a ‘passport’ to access school, workplaces, or services. In April, the regulator complained that the government’s widening use of the tests was stretching this condition of the authorization.

By early June, about 3.5 million of Innova’s lateral flow tests were being conducted per week. In total, Innova has supplied the UK with over 1 billion tests, which have returned more than 180,000 positive results since they were first introduced.

The controversy exemplifies a wider problem with the authorization of diagnostic tests, according to a report from the UK’s Royal Statistical Society (RSS) published on June 9. The regulation of medical devices around the world tends to be far less rigorous than that of drugs or vaccines, and largely relies on a ‘self-certification’ process, says Sheila M. Bird, a member of the society’s working group on diagnostic tests, and formerly Programme Leader at the MRC Biostatistics Unit in Cambridge, England.

Although manufacturers often evaluate their tests in clinical settings, she adds, these diagnostics may end up being used in very different contexts once they reach the market.

“The self-certification by Innova was for use in symptomatic persons, but it is now being used for mass screening of asymptomatic persons,” Bird says. “They need to be evaluated in each specific context of use.”

Deeks, who co-chairs the RSS’s working group, notes that there are still no published studies about how well the test can detect cases in children, or when used for self-testing by asymptomatic people—both key components of the government’s testing program."

I knew I had covid while symptoms really light, done test... negative

Next morning when throat swollen and temp was positive

So they work maybe a little delay

By *ugzbunny1Man  over a year ago

Swindon

Confess to not bothering to read all the posts above apart from noting than some folk have too much time on their hands...

LFTs work in that they screen out some of those that carry covid..not as good as PCR, but excellent risk reduction if regular PCR not available or not appropriate..

"Utter rubbish????

How was that confirmed?

What utter nonsense

A friend of mine is part of a trial and gets tested for antibodies each month. They were clear for the first couple and have been positive ever since. Asymptomatic covid case..."

Infectious???????????

It's not about testing positive for viral particles.

It's wether you're Infectious or not. Again NO evidence of asymptomatic INFECTIOUSNESS!

"

Infectious???????????

It's wether you're Infectious or not. Again NO evidence of asymptomatic INFECTIOUSNESS!"

Let's add this to the list of things you don't understand, shall we?

North West

My basketball coach took an LFT yesterday, in preparation for training today. Positive. He took a PCR test yesterday afterwards, result today? Positive. He has Covid. He had no symptoms yesterday when he did the LFT and PCR but this morning, awoke with no smell/taste and a slight cough.

In his case, LFT did the job. And obviously no training for two weeks now....

"

Infectious???????????

It's wether you're Infectious or not. Again NO evidence of asymptomatic INFECTIOUSNESS!

Haha ok. Whatever you say. So SarsCov2 has completely changed the known history of viral infection? Doesn't take much effort to find the RIGHT answer lol.

Also. Regarding the Coca-Cola comment I previously mentioned. If that's been supposedly debunked. Maybe the armchair experts can explain why when you have a lateral flow test do they say "no eating, drinking or smoking half an hour before the test"? AND why there's a report about teenagers using lemon juice to give false positives and getting off school. Hmmmmmmm interesting

Let's add this to the list of things you don't understand, shall we? "

If you're NOT showing symptoms. You are NOT contagious. Virus needs to shed. YOU will feel ill when it does because your body is fighting the viral load. At this point you ARE contagious. It's tne most basic science fgs

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

They are very unreliable it’s well known her a real test if concerned

By *audyandMichaelCouple  over a year ago

New York

All of my staff who have had covid were picked up on lateral flow tests, so I feel that they are useful .

One thing that I have found though is that with my younger members of staff their first symptoms were feeling like they were coming down with a cold , not a continuous cough or temperature.

So my first question to staff who feel a bit sniffly is "have you done a lateral flow test !"

North West

"All of my staff who have had covid were picked up on lateral flow tests, so I feel that they are useful .

One thing that I have found though is that with my younger members of staff their first symptoms were feeling like they were coming down with a cold , not a continuous cough or temperature.

So my first question to staff who feel a bit sniffly is "have you done a lateral flow test !""

I'm 35 and my peers (ages 27-37 ish) who have tested positive on LFTs have either had no symptoms or, as you say, a snuffly/runny nose or perhaps a headache (but no different to a "drink more water" or "put the computer down" type headache).

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"If you're NOT showing symptoms. You are NOT contagious. Virus needs to shed. YOU will feel ill when it does because your body is fighting the viral load. At this point you ARE contagious. It's tne most basic science fgs "

Thank goodness, a fab epidemiologist to keep us from worrying.

Stockport

"If you're NOT showing symptoms. You are NOT contagious. Virus needs to shed. YOU will feel ill when it does because your body is fighting the viral load. At this point you ARE contagious. It's tne most basic science fgs "

This is true for some viruses, false for others. Covid seems to be one where people can start to become infectious before major symptoms develop - this is a very desirable trait to evolve (from the point of view of the virus, obviously less desirable from the point of view of people).

Mrs KC is our expert on the biological details, but it does seem to affect different people differently. Probably to do with how big an initial dose picked up, which tissues the virus gets lodged into, the strength of the person's immune system and a bunch of other things.

The important thing is that yes it is perfectly possible for someone to be carrying covid, to be infectious, but to show only slight symptoms themselves.

So how many cycles on PCR?

By *ames blonde007Man  over a year ago

Enfield

I have no intention of taking any vaccination. 1st 3rd 10th or whatever......I don't trust it and its my choice.any form of coercion by governing bodies .....not saying the virus doesn't exist...but ill take my chances.....obviously if I am tested positive I will hibernate till I'm better...and i test every thursday.ciao bellends

Dudley

Which school did you learn your basic science from?

There are many studies that prove viruses can and do transmit asymptomatically, you're just totally and completely wrong.

North West

"If you're NOT showing symptoms. You are NOT contagious. Virus needs to shed. YOU will feel ill when it does because your body is fighting the viral load. At this point you ARE contagious. It's tne most basic science fgs

This is true for some viruses, false for others. Covid seems to be one where people can start to become infectious before major symptoms develop - this is a very desirable trait to evolve (from the point of view of the virus, obviously less desirable from the point of view of people).

Mrs KC is our expert on the biological details, but it does seem to affect different people differently. Probably to do with how big an initial dose picked up, which tissues the virus gets lodged into, the strength of the person's immune system and a bunch of other things.

The important thing is that yes it is perfectly possible for someone to be carrying covid, to be infectious, but to show only slight symptoms themselves."

An interesting article on asymptomatic infection of respiratory viruses from 2019 (so pre Covid) can be found at the citation:

Galanti, M. et al. (2019) “Rates of asymptomatic respiratory virus infection across age groups.” Epidemiology and infection vol. 147: p176

And another one at:

Shaman, J. et.al. (2018) Asymptomatic Summertime Shedding of Respiratory Viruses, The Journal of Infectious Diseases, Volume 217, Issue 7, Pages 1074–1077

Either way I'll be doing a lateral flow and the one you send off through post better to do 2

"If you're NOT showing symptoms. You are NOT contagious. Virus needs to shed. YOU will feel ill when it does because your body is fighting the viral load. At this point you ARE contagious. It's tne most basic science fgs

The important thing is that yes it is perfectly possible for someone to be carrying covid, to be infectious, but to show only slight symptoms themselves.

An interesting article on asymptomatic infection of respiratory viruses from 2019 (so pre Covid) can be found at the citation:

Galanti, M. et al. (2019) “Rates of asymptomatic respiratory virus infection across age groups.” Epidemiology and infection vol. 147: p176

And another one at:

Shaman, J. et.al. (2018) Asymptomatic Summertime Shedding of Respiratory Viruses, The Journal of Infectious Diseases, Volume 217, Issue 7, Pages 1074–1077"

Check out matt Hancock being interviewed by his peers. The same one Cummings had to go through. I really suggest you watch it

North West

And another one at:

Shaman, J. et.al. (2018) Asymptomatic Summertime Shedding of Respiratory Viruses, The Journal of Infectious Diseases, Volume 217, Issue 7, Pages 1074–1077

Check out matt Hancock being interviewed by his peers. The same one Cummings had to go through. I really suggest you watch it"

How would that aid our understanding of asymptomatic spread of respiratory viruses?

Stockport

And another one at:

Check out matt Hancock being interviewed by his peers. The same one Cummings had to go through. I really suggest you watch it"

At which university did Dr M Hancock do his PhD in virology or cellular biology or basically any other relevant field? Oh that's right, he didn't. He knew sod all about medicine when he was given the job, and the only studying he appears to have done since being appointed is some practical classes in the human reproduction process...

And another one at:

Check out matt Hancock being interviewed by his peers. The same one Cummings had to go through. I really suggest you watch it

How would that aid our understanding of asymptomatic spread of respiratory viruses?"

Because he quotes the W.H.O as saying there's very little evidence of asymptomatic infectiousness. It does happen but not on a scale large enough to fuel a pandemic.

Stockholm syndrome is strong on these forums.

Who's going to be brave and look into the ingredients of the vaccines?

Who's going to look into graphene oxide?

Or ypu could carry on believing the absolute shite fed to you by media and social media outlets who ALL have an interest in vaccine rollout.

Time to look at BOTH sides of the argument rather than what you've been taught.

I'm not mocking. I CARE. I really do want to be wrong but I'm not yet convinced. You can shoot me me down as a conspiracy theorist or dig a little deeper.

Your life. Your choice.

I'm out of this debate. X

Stockport

And another one at:

How would that aid our understanding of asymptomatic spread of respiratory viruses?

Because he quotes the W.H.O as saying there's very little evidence of asymptomatic infectiousness. It does happen but not on a scale large enough to fuel a pandemic.

Or ypu could carry on believing the absolute shite fed to you by media and social media outlets who ALL have an interest in vaccine rollout.

I'm not mocking. I CARE. I really do want to be wrong but I'm not yet convinced. You can shoot me me down as a conspiracy theorist or dig a little deeper.

Your life. Your choice.

I'm out of this debate. X"

Okay I've looked into graphene oxide? And? Apparently it's quite good for making water filtration membranes. There's also an application involving binding silver molecules to it which produces an anti-bacterial agent.

Graphene of course is not a new material, it's been present in soot since fire was first invented. However it was only in 2004 that scientists figured out how to prepare pure samples and started properly investigating what it could be used for. Just saying "graphene oxide" doesn't mean that this is some magical substance with supranormal capabilities to remove free will or be a nano sized tracking device or act as a population culling agent activated by radio signals.

If there was some worldwide conspiracy to poison millions of people, why the fuck go to the trouble of creating a pandemic in order to fool people into taking a vaccine that after a two year delay will cause sterility (or whatever the latest half baked idea is). Why not just put the stuff in your cornflakes? Or in beer? Stick it in MacDonald's burger bread, that way you can get half the world to actually pay you to be dosed up!

All the conspiracy is just utter drivel, and we know it is, because faking pandemics and spending billions on faking vaccines is literally the least efficient and most ridiculous way that could possibly be used to get these "nanoparticle devices" (or whatever the hell they are this week) into people's bodies...

Just wake up and realise that yes the government are fucking useless and corrupt and venal, but there isn't any stupid Illuminati plot going on, just twats that don't know what they are doing but are trousering as much cash as they can while they can.

scotland

And another one at:

Your life. Your choice.

Okay I've looked into graphene oxide? And? Apparently it's quite good for making water filtration membranes. There's also an application involving binding silver molecules to it which produces an anti-bacterial agent.

Graphene of course is not a new material, it's been present in soot since fire was first invented. However it was only in 2004 that scientists figured out how to prepare pure samples and started properly investigating what it could be used for. Just saying "graphene oxide" doesn't mean that this is some magical substance with supranormal capabilities to remove free will or be a nano sized tracking device or act as a population culling agent activated by radio signals.

If there was some worldwide conspiracy to poison millions of people, why the fuck go to the trouble of creating a pandemic in order to fool people into taking a vaccine that after a two year delay will cause sterility (or whatever the latest half baked idea is). Why not just put the stuff in your cornflakes? Or in beer? Stick it in MacDonald's burger bread, that way you can get half the world to actually pay you to be dosed up!

All the conspiracy is just utter drivel, and we know it is, because faking pandemics and spending billions on faking vaccines is literally the least efficient and most ridiculous way that could possibly be used to get these "nanoparticle devices" (or whatever the hell they are this week) into people's bodies...

Just wake up and realise that yes the government are fucking useless and corrupt and venal, but there isn't any stupid Illuminati plot going on, just twats that don't know what they are doing but are trousering as much cash as they can while they can."

Last sentence...absolutely spot on! Of course, they'll keep getting voted in because "Corbyn wouldn't have done any better"...

By *andinMan  over a year ago

UK

On the SarsCov2 Covid19 front anyone who disputes officialdom or mainstream media narratives must be a conspiracy theorist or covidiot.

Stockport

"On the SarsCov2 Covid19 front anyone who disputes officialdom or mainstream media narratives must be a conspiracy theorist or covidiot.

"

Nope, anybody who disputes real data and cannot back up their claim with at least similar quality data is a conspiracy theorist or a covidiot.

Anybody that makes wild claims involving a global cabal, or population control, or nano particles, or aliens - with no evidence whatsoever other than "but what if...?" - is a conspiracy theorist. Especially when their stated end aim of the cabal or whatever is something that can be done a million times easier without needing a fake pandemic. Eg. Tracking people? Why inject tracking devices when they're already all freely documenting every event of their lives on facetube?

Covidiots on the other hand are those who just don't believe in the dangers of a virus that has killed over a hundred thousand and had several million hospitalised in this country alone. They are people who won't even wear a bit of cloth over their face to catch the worst of their coughs and sneezes. They are people who object to being asked to wash their hands. They are people who say "I'm healthy, my amazing immune system means I can't catch anything, and I don't give a fuck whether old and infirm people are dying".

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence. Covid is the best documented health crisis in the history of mankind. The treatment regimes, vaccines, virus genome analyses have been examined in more detail by more independent scientists across the whole world than any other disease previously in the history of mankind. Because of the internet, the data, analyses and conclusions are freely available to every person on the planet that is capable of understanding it, this has never happened before.

Anyone is free to dispute any of the mainstream narratives - but they will be ignored and treated as crackpots unless and until they will produce their evidence, and allow it to be scrutinized in ad much detail as all the other evidence has been.

If you have data - just show everyone the data. That's all you have to do.

UK

"On the SarsCov2 Covid19 front anyone who disputes officialdom or mainstream media narratives must be a conspiracy theorist or covidiot.

Nope, anybody who disputes real data and cannot back up their claim with at least similar quality data is a conspiracy theorist or a covidiot.

Anybody that makes wild claims involving a global cabal, or population control, or nano particles, or aliens - with no evidence whatsoever other than "but what if...?" - is a conspiracy theorist. Especially when their stated end aim of the cabal or whatever is something that can be done a million times easier without needing a fake pandemic. Eg. Tracking people? Why inject tracking devices when they're already all freely documenting every event of their lives on facetube?

Covidiots on the other hand are those who just don't believe in the dangers of a virus that has killed over a hundred thousand and had several million hospitalised in this country alone. They are people who won't even wear a bit of cloth over their face to catch the worst of their coughs and sneezes. They are people who object to being asked to wash their hands. They are people who say "I'm healthy, my amazing immune system means I can't catch anything, and I don't give a fuck whether old and infirm people are dying".

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence. Covid is the best documented health crisis in the history of mankind. The treatment regimes, vaccines, virus genome analyses have been examined in more detail by more independent scientists across the whole world than any other disease previously in the history of mankind. Because of the internet, the data, analyses and conclusions are freely available to every person on the planet that is capable of understanding it, this has never happened before.

Anyone is free to dispute any of the mainstream narratives - but they will be ignored and treated as crackpots unless and until they will produce their evidence, and allow it to be scrutinized in ad much detail as all the other evidence has been.

If you have data - just show everyone the data. That's all you have to do."

Soap opera drama, strawman, name calling and good old irony in stating figures waaaay beyond UK reality.

Stockport

If you have data - just show everyone the data. That's all you have to do.

Soap opera drama, strawman, name calling and good old irony in stating figures waaaay beyond UK reality.

"

Just show your evidence for your version of the figures then. That's all you have to do. If you have evidence, lay it out for public scrutiny.

UK

"Just show your evidence for your version of the figures then. That's all you have to do. If you have evidence, lay it out for public scrutiny."

There's no my version of figures other than 'official figures', which aint hard to come by. They're good for realising misinformed sensationalists & crackpots,

In contrast there's is your version of UK figures (several million) that is ironically way off/wrong/incorrect/bs in relation to true figures.

Stockport

"Just show your evidence for your version of the figures then. That's all you have to do. If you have evidence, lay it out for public scrutiny.

There's no my version of figures other than 'official figures', which aint hard to come by. They're good for realising misinformed sensationalists & crackpots,

In contrast there's is your version of UK figures (several million) that is ironically way off/wrong/incorrect/bs in relation to true figures.

"

What I said was over a hundred thousand dead. This is true.

I also said several million had to be hospital treated. Yes, turns out I was wrong here, very sloppy of me to assume that there might be a much higher chance of recovery in hospital than there actually is. The official figure for covid hospitalisations is a mere 472,671 (gov website today) - it seems that if you go into hospital with covid, there's something like a 1 in 4 chance you aren't coming out again.

The number I was thinking of though is the estimated 4 million plus that are still suffering the after effects of covid, many of whom look as if they will never regain full health, some will never work again, a lot will have shortened life spans.

However the original key point remains - in answer to your assertion that anybody disputing officialdom is labelled a conspiracy theorist or a covidiot, all that is required for these people to be taken seriously is for them to produce the real verifiable evidence, rather than quoting facetube and saying everything is a cover up.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

I use it 4 times a week.

Seems to be ok, but I know how to use it.

Think any type of testing completed by non medical folks will always have a higher failure rate.

But as an indicator, it's ok.

LF tests (Rapid Antigen tests) have an accuracy for positives of over 99%.

Their accuracy in tests that show negative for infection is lower...at 77%. That is 23% of tests showing a negative result will be false...

It’s interesting that as far as testing is concerned the U.K. are testing over 15 per 1,000 of the population. France is 3.6 per 1,000, USA is 1.7 per 1,000 and Germany is 1.2 per 1,000.

And another one at:

Your life. Your choice.

Just wake up and realise that yes the government are fucking useless and corrupt and venal, but there isn't any stupid Illuminati plot going on, just twats that don't know what they are doing but are trousering as much cash as they can while they can."

Don't assume that because I'm anti "covid vax" I believe in all the other nonsense.

A recent electron microscope test of one of the Mrna instruments(not a vax) has found what EXPERTS believe to be. Graphene oxide.

According to such EXPERTS (NOT ME) Graphene oxide will cause parkinsons, alzheimers and more importantly CJD.

This is of course from very experienced, top of their field, well informed and well educated SCIENTISTS/DOCTORS speaking out on your favourite conspiracy theorists platforms. Of course. Because they are on those platforms due to a ban on other platforms that fund BIG PHARMA are dismissed as lunatics despite their track record. Are clearly less informed than fab forumites and should stop caring and TOW THE LINE.

There's nothing more soul destroying and disheartening than talking to people UNWILLING to look at the other opinions because it comes from a source that MSM and SM deam tim foil hat sights.

Seriously!! Just because those established sites that use algorithms to ensure you stay inside your perceived reality say its false. DESPITE hard-core SOLID evidence that the aforementioned BIG TECH have HUGE investments in vaccine rollout. You're stuck in your TAUGHT BY MSM opinion that you are right?

GET A GRIP FOR GOODNESS SAKE.

I really do hope my opinions are completely wrong because if they're not.( judging by a great deal of expert opinion)

You're fucked. God I so hope I'm wrong so I can eat humble pie.

There's a telegram group I can share with you in a PM. Be aware. There's a lot of terrifying FACTS On there but there is a great deal of bollocks too.

Rant at this all you like. I've said this out of care for my fellow human beings.

Be a nob head if you like. I'm almost past giving a shit

^properly unhinged nonsense. The Dunning-Kruger effect is really elegant in its simplicity.

Stockport

And another one at:

Your life. Your choice.

Just wake up and realise that yes the government are fucking useless and corrupt and venal, but there isn't any stupid Illuminati plot going on, just twats that don't know what they are doing but are trousering as much cash as they can while they can.

Don't assume that because I'm anti "covid vax" I believe in all the other nonsense.

A recent electron microscope test of one of the Mrna instruments(not a vax) has found what EXPERTS believe to be. Graphene oxide.

According to such EXPERTS (NOT ME) Graphene oxide will cause parkinsons, alzheimers and more importantly CJD.

This is of course from very experienced, top of their field, well informed and well educated SCIENTISTS/DOCTORS speaking out on your favourite conspiracy theorists platforms. Of course. Because they are on those platforms due to a ban on other platforms that fund BIG PHARMA are dismissed as lunatics despite their track record. Are clearly less informed than fab forumites and should stop caring and TOW THE LINE.

There's nothing more soul destroying and disheartening than talking to people UNWILLING to look at the other opinions because it comes from a source that MSM and SM deam tim foil hat sights.

Seriously!! Just because those established sites that use algorithms to ensure you stay inside your perceived reality say its false. DESPITE hard-core SOLID evidence that the aforementioned BIG TECH have HUGE investments in vaccine rollout. You're stuck in your TAUGHT BY MSM opinion that you are right?

I really do hope my opinions are completely wrong because if they're not.( judging by a great deal of expert opinion)

There's a telegram group I can share with you in a PM. Be aware. There's a lot of terrifying FACTS On there but there is a great deal of bollocks too.

Rant at this all you like. I've said this out of care for my fellow human beings.

Be a nob head if you like. I'm almost past giving a shit"

So somebody thinks that "THEY" are deliberately putting graphene oxide into vaccines in order to cause dementia... Why not just put CJD into Bigmac burgers? It would be a hell of a lot easier to do. No need for a fake pandemic. No need to spend billions of pounds rolling out fake vaccines. No need to organise doctors, nurses, volunteers, vaccination centres, distribution centres. No need to involve millions of people world wide that are all aware of but covering up the secret. No need to be in control of every media channel in the world (except strangely enough, every social media channel, that "THEY" already own and could intercept every single byte of data that goes into their systems, but choose to allow The Secrets to be completely openly broadcast upon).

Nope, I'd do it through MacDonalds. It's already in every city in every country. The distribution network is there. The victims self administer and - this bit is genius - they pay you for the privilege of taking the stuff. Mr BigMac must already be one of these Illuminati level controllers of the world, how else would he have managed to get his very mediocre food onto every continent?

I know that this must be shocking, but sometimes it really is the case that shit just happens, without it having to be carefully orchestrated by a global cabal. But if there was a global plot, they'd definitely do it though burgers, not vaccines.

And another one at:

Your life. Your choice.

Be a nob head if you like. I'm almost past giving a shit

So somebody thinks that "THEY" are deliberately putting graphene oxide into vaccines in order to cause dementia... Why not just put CJD into Bigmac burgers? It would be a hell of a lot easier to do. No need for a fake pandemic. No need to spend billions of pounds rolling out fake vaccines. No need to organise doctors, nurses, volunteers, vaccination centres, distribution centres. No need to involve millions of people world wide that are all aware of but covering up the secret. No need to be in control of every media channel in the world (except strangely enough, every social media channel, that "THEY" already own and could intercept every single byte of data that goes into their systems, but choose to allow The Secrets to be completely openly broadcast upon).

Nope, I'd do it through MacDonalds. It's already in every city in every country. The distribution network is there. The victims self administer and - this bit is genius - they pay you for the privilege of taking the stuff. Mr BigMac must already be one of these Illuminati level controllers of the world, how else would he have managed to get his very mediocre food onto every continent?

I know that this must be shocking, but sometimes it really is the case that shit just happens, without it having to be carefully orchestrated by a global cabal. But if there was a global plot, they'd definitely do it though burgers, not vaccines. "

They are NOT doing it deliberately.

Do your research and realise its used as an element of delivery to humans. Like I said. If you want to see where I'm coming from. Download telegram. Pm me and I'll send you a link. You WILL see total bollocks on there. you WILL also hear from countless experts that aren't allowed a voice on msm and sm platforms. At the VERY LEAST. Listen to both sides rather than trusting a source that has a stake in ppe,pcr and vaccines.

I'm not saying this to argue or be a dick. I'm trying to say. PLEASE, listen to ALL the opinions from EVERY angle. X

"Why not just put CJD into Bigmac burgers?"

Better putting it in McFlurrys....get 'em young!

» Add a new message to this topic