FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Have your views changed since last year

Have your views changed since last year

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

This time last year I was shocked that all this covid stuff had not gone away. I was convinced it was not all that bad and being over exaggerated.

I did however join some research projects to help get us over it.. but honestly thought my autumn 2020 it would be done with.

I became a volunteer so I could be out and about at the start. As I wanted to be able to drive about....

I even went away on holiday abroad in August 2020.

Then come September Time I lost a few friends and family members to the disease...and I finally began to see that it was much more serious than I'd believed .

Now I'm very protective of my families safety and find myself getting aggravated at those flouting the rules and while I didnt flout them , I know last april to july I stayed within them but in hindsight probably only just...

The one thing I've done since feb 2020 is the hands, face, space.. as that was being done in Europe when I was there.

So have your views changed

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Not really. I've learned more.

I feel pretty demoralised and have lost whatever little faith I had left in the government.

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

I suspected we were being lied to then. I think we are being lied to now.

We should have followed the Swedish approach.

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

No, not at all, infact, it have strengthened my view of what I already knew of what is going on, let just say that it feels like I live in a parallel world.

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

"No, not at all, infact, it have strengthened my view of what I already knew of what is going on, let just say that it feels like I live in a parallel world."
Lets just*.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Not much I'm pretty optimistic but if anything how thoughtless some people are only thinking about themselves when it's comes to daily supplies that everyone needs some just thinking about either profit or just themselves

Manchester (she/her)

"Not much I'm pretty optimistic but if anything how thoughtless some people are only thinking about themselves when it's comes to daily supplies that everyone needs some just thinking about either profit or just themselves"

Agreed

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"This time last year I was shocked that all this covid stuff had not gone away. I was convinced it was not all that bad and being over exaggerated.

I did however join some research projects to help get us over it.. but honestly thought my autumn 2020 it would be done with.

I became a volunteer so I could be out and about at the start. As I wanted to be able to drive about....

Then come September Time I lost a few friends and family members to the disease...and I finally began to see that it was much more serious than I'd believed .

Now I'm very protective of my families safety and find myself getting aggravated at those flouting the rules and while I didnt flout them , I know last april to july I stayed within them but in hindsight probably only just...

The one thing I've done since feb 2020 is the hands, face, space.. as that was being done in Europe when I was there.

So have your views changed "

None about the pandemic.. Did some reading on previous things similar and was very obvious it was going to last a while so no surprises there.

Plenty unfortunately about people I have known for so many years deciding it was all a hoax and because of a ' video' they have seen were refusing to mask or get jabbed.. No invites to hot tub parties and garden get togethers.

Had a really negative impact on my friend/ support network which being an orphan I relied a lot on prior to all this .. Fact is We cant agree without things turning nasty so wont be meeting.Some friendships are very salvageable others sadly very not..

Its all very well being a free spirit in life but you can not expect someone to agree with you and follow what some crackpot on YT has said!or 'Your being fooled by the system / great reset / magnetic fields/ vaccines contain tracking cells' blah blah sort of messages .. So our friendship wont work anymore mate!' sort of conversations..

I fully Respect the right to choose but wont be nice about it to anyone if you start to involve me in your lifestyle to maintain a friendship.

Life is full of disappointments I guess!

New friends are out there to be discovered when the time is right :/

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

My views on Covid and the various vaccines haven't changed.

It's a bloody awful illness.

If killing you wasn't good enough, the long term impact on health is also bloody awful.

I don't want to catch it.

I don't want my family to catch it.

I don't want any of my friends to catch it.

I don't want to pass it on to anyone in my family, my social circle or anyone I come into contact with.

I'll do all I can to protect everyone around me.

The one thing that has changed is my belief and faith in our places of education and learning.

They seem to have woefully let down a huge number of people.

E

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Nope not changed my mind still think for the vast majority its not much to worry about.im more worried about the aftermath of shutting the world down

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

At the beginning I was sure it wouldn't really affect us that much, before it got over here, then when the first lockdown kicked in I thought we'd be back to normal in the summer.

My views have changed drastically and I've become far more knowledgeable on viruses and vaccines etc.

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

"My views on Covid and the various vaccines haven't changed.

If killing you wasn't good enough, the long term impact on health is also bloody awful.

I don't want to pass it on to anyone in my family, my social circle or anyone I come into contact with.

The one thing that has changed is my belief and faith in our places of education and learning.

E"

I'd be interested to know how you have come to that conclusion. Is it from personal experience?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"So have your views changed "

I’m not sure my views have changed in terms of direction but as with everyone my understanding has changed dramatically over the time.

Interestingly my career has been changed entirely during the period, I worked in design for decades but when my industry died on day 1 of lockdown I found myself temporarily working for the NHS and I’m now committed to them 100% and have taken a role full time.

For me it’s been very difficult to see the gulf between reality and public perception. I think it’s very easy when isolated in a quite home in a silent city to feel disconnected from what’s occurring in the trusts. When I reflect to certain days or periods of loss within our unit it’s hard to except that people who live less than a mile away are at time oblivious to just how bad things got.

We can’t carry on indefinitely with lockdowns, I see the absolute good they have done but likewise I’m not ignorant to the personal toll many have taken from them either. I leave my ICU post soon to join the ambulance service and I know I’ll deal with large numbers of people who have been affected very badly by the impact it’s had. I don’t make separation, these people are an unreported set of victims within covids quite horrific toll.

We’ll live with covid for many years to come, I’ve clapped 4 out of every 5 patients we’ve had with us over this period as they’ve left the ward, they survived but I also am very aware their lives are never going back to where they where. Loss of speech temporarily, ruined respiratory systems and hearts have drastically reduced expected lifespans, previously fit individuals who have been hit hard will never work again, many will spend their life walking around with an oxygen bottle in tow. Their ‘not at risk’ age groups have meant they had the strength to survive but it came at a ridiculous cost. Long covid is an even greater issue than the critical ‘survivors’, we see arguments on these forums quoting purely the death toll, they cite the average age of those who have passed away as people in their 80’s. That figure of 128,426 as it stands today is insignificant when you realise half a million critical care survivors are out there needing daily assistance to live and an estimated 1.5 million long covid sufferers are also staring down the barrel of a unkown recovery, future complications and a life which may continue to become increasingly difficult as time progresses.

Covid for me has been Brexit plus, it’s caused horrible divisions, it’s fuelled hatred and behaviour I can’t really comprehend. The levels of selfishness exhibited by some are in truth just repulsive.

The one thing I have learned and I give credit to a lot of people who I’ve worked alongside who have far less years on the clock, in many cases far less education is that the only approaches that produce a positive outcome in this scenario are care, empathy, understanding, sacrifice and togetherness. We are all in some way a victim of Covid-19, our instinct is to feel anger at what it’s taken from us, the mistake however is to blame the actions of a virus without intent or emotion on those around us who are also suffering.

We are returning to our new version of normal, we should all embrace the positivity in that and make the most of it. Life is too short. I’ve said that phrase a lot over my life, I don’t think I’ve ever truly appreciated what it means until recently.

X

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I feel like I've learnt to trust less.

I now don't trust pretty much anything, figures and statistics can be bent to any narrative, various idealogies battle against each other, there's a huge amount of greed out there and I don't feel anybody acts for the common good.

I don't know what to believe or who to trust so I have ended up trusting nothing.

I had some kind of low-level trust issues before this, now that's developed into something bigger.

The South

E

I'd be interested to know how you have come to that conclusion. Is it from personal experience? "

5 minutes on just about any thread in the Virus Forum will answer that question.

And yes, a little personal experience. I've cut quite a few people out of my social circle due their ignorance, miss-held beliefs and belligerent breaking of Covid guidelines.

E

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

No not really, I err on the edge of ocd with masks and sanitising/washing my hands still, stay well away from crowds and poor social distance regulated places of buisness, I am less scared of self isolating which us a plus, I think we will go into personal responsibility and that will be the gov washing their hands of it all, which we need to do but we are so not ready for it

Spain, Lancs

I've been shocked at the intolerance shown by lockdown enthusiasts. You sometimes see it verging on violence. Sheer inability to respect other people's point of view.

Reminds me of Remained abuse after the referendum

Dudley

"I've been shocked at the intolerance shown by lockdown enthusiasts. You sometimes see it verging on violence. Sheer inability to respect other people's point of view.

Reminds me of Remained abuse after the referendum"

I'm not sure anyone enjoys the lockdowns but they do work.

No my view hasn’t changed really.

I remember saying to a friend at work right at the very beginning that it will all be fine.

Over a year later everything is still fine.

I only know one person who has had covid (she was fine) and I don’t know anyone that’s passed away from It. It’s hard to be scared of something that hasn’t had a effect on your life at all really except lockdowns which are just annoying.

By *extus1951Man  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

A view which mirrors my own!

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

Have my views changed since last year. !!! Yes it has. My neighbour cut down a tree, and built an extension.

By *tstillworksMan  over a year ago

Darlington

"Not really. I've learned more.

I feel pretty demoralised and have lost whatever little faith I had left in the government."

^^^^^^^^

This

No my view has stayed the same. I wasn’t overly concerned regards the risk to my own health at the start and after having it and with the benefit of time I’m probably less concerned with it now. I’ve seen a friend my age die from it but it doesn’t change my view. For people my age in sound health it’s nothing to be concerned about. The odds statistically mean the chance of serious illness or death make me no more worried than any other thing that can kill me.

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

With hindsight I regret that I fell for the 3 weeks to flatten the curve nonsense and also believed that the first lockdown was essential. When I saw my dad lose his sight in order to protect the NHS, when I saw people I knew commit suicide, when I started to see decent people struggle to keep a roof over their heads I began to question the damage lockdown was inflicting.

Now I look at the likes of Texas, Florida and Sweden and I’m even more convinced we took the wrong option. When I see the clamour for zero Covid it utterly terrifies me.

In a few years time, a lot of people are going to pretend they didn’t support lockdowns and harsh restrictions. When the numbers are crunched, the financial payback is in full force and the devastating collateral damage becomes clear to the masses, watch them distance themselves

Spain, Lancs

"With hindsight I regret that I fell for the 3 weeks to flatten the curve nonsense and also believed that the first lockdown was essential. When I saw my dad lose his sight in order to protect the NHS, when I saw people I knew commit suicide, when I started to see decent people struggle to keep a roof over their heads I began to question the damage lockdown was inflicting.

Now I look at the likes of Texas, Florida and Sweden and I’m even more convinced we took the wrong option. When I see the clamour for zero Covid it utterly terrifies me.

In a few years time, a lot of people are going to pretend they didn’t support lockdowns and harsh restrictions. When the numbers are crunched, the financial payback is in full force and the devastating collateral damage becomes clear to the masses, watch them distance themselves"

This

By *ovesknickersMan  over a year ago

send me location

"With hindsight I regret that I fell for the 3 weeks to flatten the curve nonsense and also believed that the first lockdown was essential. When I saw my dad lose his sight in order to protect the NHS, when I saw people I knew commit suicide, when I started to see decent people struggle to keep a roof over their heads I began to question the damage lockdown was inflicting.

In a few years time, a lot of people are going to pretend they didn’t support lockdowns and harsh restrictions. When the numbers are crunched, the financial payback is in full force and the devastating collateral damage becomes clear to the masses, watch them distance themselves"

Yes to this

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

My expectations have changed. Similarly to OP, I thought the time frames would be similar to that. Like Swing, I've had my viewpoint on the conservative government fall - and almost to zero.

Central

Anything BUT this

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

"I suspected we were being lied to then. I think we are being lied to now.

We should have followed the Swedish approach. "

What lies do you think we’re being told?

By *ohnj21Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"I feel like I've learnt to trust less.

I now don't trust pretty much anything, figures and statistics can be bent to any narrative, various idealogies battle against each other, there's a huge amount of greed out there and I don't feel anybody acts for the common good.

I don't know what to believe or who to trust so I have ended up trusting nothing.

I had some kind of low-level trust issues before this, now that's developed into something bigger."

Bert rarely do I see people speak sense in forum

This is the best I have read.

People who are selfish should read this post it's enlightening and special. Thank you for sharing

By *ohnj21Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"So have your views changed

I’m not sure my views have changed in terms of direction but as with everyone my understanding has changed dramatically over the time.

Interestingly my career has been changed entirely during the period, I worked in design for decades but when my industry died on day 1 of lockdown I found myself temporarily working for the NHS and I’m now committed to them 100% and have taken a role full time.

For me it’s been very difficult to see the gulf between reality and public perception. I think it’s very easy when isolated in a quite home in a silent city to feel disconnected from what’s occurring in the trusts. When I reflect to certain days or periods of loss within our unit it’s hard to except that people who live less than a mile away are at time oblivious to just how bad things got.

We can’t carry on indefinitely with lockdowns, I see the absolute good they have done but likewise I’m not ignorant to the personal toll many have taken from them either. I leave my ICU post soon to join the ambulance service and I know I’ll deal with large numbers of people who have been affected very badly by the impact it’s had. I don’t make separation, these people are an unreported set of victims within covids quite horrific toll.

We’ll live with covid for many years to come, I’ve clapped 4 out of every 5 patients we’ve had with us over this period as they’ve left the ward, they survived but I also am very aware their lives are never going back to where they where. Loss of speech temporarily, ruined respiratory systems and hearts have drastically reduced expected lifespans, previously fit individuals who have been hit hard will never work again, many will spend their life walking around with an oxygen bottle in tow. Their ‘not at risk’ age groups have meant they had the strength to survive but it came at a ridiculous cost. Long covid is an even greater issue than the critical ‘survivors’, we see arguments on these forums quoting purely the death toll, they cite the average age of those who have passed away as people in their 80’s. That figure of 128,426 as it stands today is insignificant when you realise half a million critical care survivors are out there needing daily assistance to live and an estimated 1.5 million long covid sufferers are also staring down the barrel of a unkown recovery, future complications and a life which may continue to become increasingly difficult as time progresses.

Covid for me has been Brexit plus, it’s caused horrible divisions, it’s fuelled hatred and behaviour I can’t really comprehend. The levels of selfishness exhibited by some are in truth just repulsive.

The one thing I have learned and I give credit to a lot of people who I’ve worked alongside who have far less years on the clock, in many cases far less education is that the only approaches that produce a positive outcome in this scenario are care, empathy, understanding, sacrifice and togetherness. We are all in some way a victim of Covid-19, our instinct is to feel anger at what it’s taken from us, the mistake however is to blame the actions of a virus without intent or emotion on those around us who are also suffering.

We are returning to our new version of normal, we should all embrace the positivity in that and make the most of it. Life is too short. I’ve said that phrase a lot over my life, I don’t think I’ve ever truly appreciated what it means until recently.

X"

Best comment I have read thank you

Spain, Lancs

What lies do you think we’re being told?"

Numbers affected, numbers dying, efficacy of drugs and masks, how it originated, efficacy of various treatments, how long the whole nonsense would last etc etc

Reading

Numbers affected, numbers dying, efficacy of drugs and masks, how it originated, efficacy of various treatments, how long the whole nonsense would last etc etc"

Probably one fact in that post. The rest is just not true.

Spain, Lancs

Numbers affected, numbers dying, efficacy of drugs and masks, how it originated, efficacy of various treatments, how long the whole nonsense would last etc etc

Probably one fact in that post. The rest is just not true. "

All true...and more. Even the original story of its 'origins' in 'wet markets' was laughable

Manchester (she/her)

All true...and more. Even the original story of its 'origins' in 'wet markets' was laughable"

What's your evidence?

By *priteyMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

Spot on

Reading

All true...and more. Even the original story of its 'origins' in 'wet markets' was laughable

What's your evidence?"

Don’t hold your breath

Manchester (she/her)

What's your evidence?

Don’t hold your breath "

I won't. Evidence suggests it's not good for you

Spain, Lancs

What's your evidence?"

Where's your evidence?

Manchester (she/her)

What's your evidence?

Where's your evidence?"

I asked first. You made a claim, I'd like to see your evidence.

Spain, Lancs

What's your evidence?

Where's your evidence?

I asked first. You made a claim, I'd like to see your evidence."

You claim that what we are told is true. Can you prove it? Evidence?

Manchester (she/her)

What's your evidence?

Where's your evidence?

You claim that what we are told is true. Can you prove it? Evidence?"

If this is your attempt to answer my question, then it's pretty poor.

Must be the best that the sceptics have to offer. Oh well. Bit sad, really.

Reading

What's your evidence?

Where's your evidence?

You claim that what we are told is true. Can you prove it? Evidence?"

“You started it”

“No I didn’t”

“Yes you did, you invaded Poland”

Throughout the pandemic it’s become a common occurrence that deniers just fail to provide evidence of their claims.

Manchester (she/her)

What's your evidence?

Where's your evidence?

“You started it”

“No I didn’t”

Throughout the pandemic it’s become a common occurrence that deniers just fail to provide evidence of their claims. "

Hence my question *shrug*

And not holding my breath

Spain, Lancs

It works both ways. Evidence please?

Spain, Lancs

What's your evidence?

Where's your evidence?

“You started it”

“No I didn’t”

Throughout the pandemic it’s become a common occurrence that deniers just fail to provide evidence of their claims. "

Perhaps it is you that are 'deniers'.

What makes you think that no other views are allowed?

Manchester (she/her)

What's your evidence?

Where's your evidence?

“You started it”

“No I didn’t”

Throughout the pandemic it’s become a common occurrence that deniers just fail to provide evidence of their claims.

Perhaps it is you that are 'deniers'.

What makes you think that no other views are allowed?"

You're allowed views.

To be taken seriously you need to provide evidence.

Given that you haven't, I'm taking it you've got none. The staggering height of your stance. "nuh uh"

I've provided plenty of sources for plenty of my claims throughout this virus forum. The fact that you can't answer a question and need to deflect, doesn't mean that you can't look for yourself.

Dudley

"It works both ways. Evidence please?"

You're the one making the claims, it's up to you to prove your claims correct.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

It hasn't changed my views.

Sadly, it has reinforced my belief that far too many people are much too susceptible to fake news and conspiracy theories.

However, it's also shown that the majority of people are decent human beings.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Back to the OP

E

I'd be interested to know how you have come to that conclusion. Is it from personal experience? "

I feel let down as I work in a Secondary School and had to go into work looking after other peoples children. This put myself and my family at risk..I paid the ultimate price as I caught Covid and unwittingly passed it on to my dad as I was his only carer..he died..so I feel really pissed off when people say the education system has let them down..

The South

E

I'd be interested to know how you have come to that conclusion. Is it from personal experience?

I feel let down as I work in a Secondary School and had to go into work looking after other peoples children. This put myself and my family at risk..I paid the ultimate price as I caught Covid and unwittingly passed it on to my dad as I was his only carer..he died..so I feel really pissed off when people say the education system has let them down.. "

Im genuinly very sorry for your loss. It's heart breaking.

I think my point was lost in translation/interpretation.

E

Manchester (she/her)

E

I feel let down as I work in a Secondary School and had to go into work looking after other peoples children. This put myself and my family at risk..I paid the ultimate price as I caught Covid and unwittingly passed it on to my dad as I was his only carer..he died..so I feel really pissed off when people say the education system has let them down.. "

I'm so sorry

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

It's not changed my views about the SARS-Cov-2 virus being very highly infectious, and threatening the global fabric of society. Having some level of aptitude with mathematics, I was performing my own calculations very early on, and drawing conclusions which have turned out to be closely aligned with actual events (can't be arsed to track down the references myself, but it's all there in the very early threads on the virus forum and under politics before virus forum was opened, if anyone wants to scour the archives).

It has changed my mind about the average intelligence level of people in some of the western societies, and about how self centred, self serving and cruel some people can be. It has also been an eye opener about exactly how corrupt our government is - I didn't start with any high estimation of the ability of some of them, but it has destroyed much of my faith in the system finding that in time of a health crisis their primary concern has been to steal public money and give it to their friends and relatives, their secondary concern has been to play party politics, and real concern for saving lives has come nowhere.

To be honest, I did think that a global event like this might cause nations to unite, political parties to find common cause, and people cooperate to fight an invisible enemy that could only be beaten by everyone working together. Instead it has been depressing to find that when push comes to shove, judged in any objective way, society has failed its fitness test in the uk and many other countries.

Central

[Removed by poster at 03/07/21 00:21:07]

By *nimaginativeUsernameMan  over a year ago

Rochester, Kent

"No my view hasn’t changed really.

I remember saying to a friend at work right at the very beginning that it will all be fine.

Over a year later everything is still fine.

I only know one person who has had covid (she was fine) and I don’t know anyone that’s passed away from It. It’s hard to be scared of something that hasn’t had a effect on your life at all really except lockdowns which are just annoying.

"

This is pretty much my own view, but I’m surprised there hasn’t been more of a backlash against the Chinese, given the fairly undisputed knowledge that the virus came from there. Be it from a lab or a street market, the whole world seems scared to say ‘it’s your fault’

They’ve spent decades getting their feet under the table on every continent, they can hit the ‘Off’ switch whenever they want.

They could send a worse virus any time they like. Covid 19 was a warning.

(Anyone know where my tin foil hat is?)

oldham

E

I feel let down as I work in a Secondary School and had to go into work looking after other peoples children. This put myself and my family at risk..I paid the ultimate price as I caught Covid and unwittingly passed it on to my dad as I was his only carer..he died..so I feel really pissed off when people say the education system has let them down..

Im genuinly very sorry for your loss. It's heart breaking.

I think my point was lost in translation/interpretation.

E

"

I still don't understand your point regarding education letting you down. You referred me to past forum posts and now claim translation / interpretation as an issue. I'm just trying to understand the comment about education, when it is clear there are thousands of teachers continued to stand on the front line of covid looking after the vulnerable and children of key workers. Some at great sacrifice to their own wellbeing and health of close family members.

By *undkcoupleCouple  over a year ago

Truro/St Mawes

Just look at the numbers....last week 9600 people died in the UK. 100 with Covid with 78% of those people over 80. That means 9500 died without even a mention.

Seems you're allowed to die of anything else but Covid.

The reality is....it is a version of the flu. The same thing 20000 people die of every year in the UK.

From day one the government got it wrong...it effects the old and vulnerable, so they should have been protected and isolated. Everyone else should have carried on protecting the economy.

The Government have there own rules....BBQs on a beach G7, Matt Wankcock, Cummings

THE REALITY is we have all been played. Personally I don't know anyone who's died from Covid, but I know several that have died from cancer, accidents and mental illness during this pandemic.

It's time to take ownership, stop talking about it and move on. More damage is being done stuck on the covid tricky hamster wheel

The South

"Just look at the numbers....last week 9600 people died in the UK. 100 with Covid with 78% of those people over 80. That means 9500 died without even a mention.

The reality is....it is a version of the flu. The same thing 20000 people die of every year in the UK.

From day one the government got it wrong...it effects the old and vulnerable, so they should have been protected and isolated. Everyone else should have carried on protecting the economy.

The Government have there own rules....BBQs on a beach G7, Matt Wankcock, Cummings

THE REALITY is we have all been played. Personally I don't know anyone who's died from Covid, but I know several that have died from cancer, accidents and mental illness during this pandemic.

It's time to take ownership, stop talking about it and move on. More damage is being done stuck on the covid tricky hamster wheel

"

"The reality is....it is a version of the flu"

Are you sure?

E

By *elloIntrigueMan  over a year ago

North West UK

Early on I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Just like a bad flu right?

Then the first lockdown came, the care home deaths and more information started to be revealed.

I returned to work last July and worked through until lockdown two, taking all precautions that I could.

Unfortunately around Christmas, I contracted covid, feeling awful from 27th December and my parents and brother got it.

I lost almost a stone in weight and was pretty ill with it, my dad was quite ill, mum got it pretty mild and my brother died on 9th January.

I still feel responsible, even though my brother did have other health conditions that left him a little more susceptable.

Manchester (she/her)

"Early on I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Then the first lockdown came, the care home deaths and more information started to be revealed.

I returned to work last July and worked through until lockdown two, taking all precautions that I could.

Unfortunately around Christmas, I contracted covid, feeling awful from 27th December and my parents and brother got it.

I lost almost a stone in weight and was pretty ill with it, my dad was quite ill, mum got it pretty mild and my brother died on 9th January.

I still feel responsible, even though my brother did have other health conditions that left him a little more susceptable."

I'm so sorry

By *oroRick1027Man  over a year ago

The Boro

We should have followed the Swedish approach. "

As of April 16, 2021, more than 13?700 people have died from COVID-19 in Sweden. The country has one of the highest infection rates in western Europe according to Our World in Data COVID-19 statistics, with 606 new infections per million per day, while its neighbours Denmark, Finland, and Norway reported 115, 62, and 112 new infections per million per day, respectively (April 15, 2021). New and more infective and deadly variants have taken over, and by April 15, 2021, the UK SARS-Cov-2 variant was supected to have caused 75–100% of all new cases in all regions. This indicates more rapid spread, more deaths, and that more young people will be affected, with intensive care units already at full capacity in some regions.4

While other countries are closing down in response to this new surge in cases, Sweden is opening up—high schools were opened on April 1, 2021. To continue on the same trajectory in the face of current trends, without timely action by agency and government leadership, raises concerns about governance and accountability, and ultimately about fundamental ethics and values.

It would seem, there worst might still be to come

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

I've worked front line right through.

Was scared at the beginning, still worried at present but hopefully, if and when the next one comes along, we would have learned so much more.

Its reinforced my belief that what people say and what they do, are two separate things and lots of folks are very self centred.

Could we have handled it differently, of course, but hindsight has always been a wonderful thing.

Let's hope one day soon we are all kissing and cuddling and this will be something we will tell our grandkids, did you go through the Plague Nan....oh yes, I nearly died ...

It will end and the virus forum will be just a memory..

"This time last year I was shocked that all this covid stuff had not gone away. I was convinced it was not all that bad and being over exaggerated.

On impact of the disease my views have not changed. It was fairly clear that when the Chinese locked down an entire region it was pretty serious.

However, I was over confident that I thought the Chinese would deal with it and prevent further spread outside their boarders. The nature of how long you can have it without symptoms was key.

Once it went worldwide I was very down about that as you could see how quarantine or isolation was our only effect tool and I just thought that would cause mass social unrest as people lost employment.

As it turns out many governments surprised me (including the clown boris) by paying furlough, it was not something I expected and probably kept social unrest to a minimum.

I am over optimistic so I did not think they would extend lockdown to July, as the vacinne was so effective at preventing serious illness and death.

So yes a few surprises but mostly about how well societies and individuals have adapted to its impacts.

On some things, definitely. I don't buy into slating the government over the handling of the virus at all. They are hopeless, and in the main incompetent. But that was obvious before this happened, and not related. No government in the world has had a smooth run as everyone has been making decisions on the little known at the time, under tremendous pressure with no direct precedent. The way the governments react as we come out of the pandemic phase of covid will be the measure of their competence. The way they repair and recover, how they improve health and welfare. As for the conspiracy theories...... How we're supposed to believe that our government is incompetent at the same time as masterminding a Machiavellian theft of civil liberties is totally beyond me.

On impact of the disease my views have not changed. It was fairly clear that when the Chinese locked down an entire region it was pretty serious.

However, I was over confident that I thought the Chinese would deal with it and prevent further spread outside their boarders. The nature of how long you can have it without symptoms was key.

Once it went worldwide I was very down about that as you could see how quarantine or isolation was our only effect tool and I just thought that would cause mass social unrest as people lost employment.

As it turns out many governments surprised me (including the clown boris) by paying furlough, it was not something I expected and probably kept social unrest to a minimum.

I am over optimistic so I did not think they would extend lockdown to July, as the vacinne was so effective at preventing serious illness and death.

So yes a few surprises but mostly about how well societies and individuals have adapted to its impacts.

"

I'm a bit torn on the fulough. It is probably the most generous and unexpected level of support a government has ever provided. It will also mean less in the kitty to recover and improve afterwards, and sadly a lot of businesses have abused the scheme and are still making people redundant.

I'm a bit torn on the fulough. It is probably the most generous and unexpected level of support a government has ever provided. It will also mean less in the kitty to recover and improve afterwards, and sadly a lot of businesses have abused the scheme and are still making people redundant. "

It was never going to be a perfect solution given they had maybe a week to get it thought up.

But it was nessasary and there will always be fraudsters who take advantage of any system and its a matter of how much you invest both in terms of time, people and resources to prevent or catch them.

Time and people were lacking.

As for the debt, I think like the war debt it will be around for many years, but as a country we have had prosperity since the war and we were not over burdened.

I think when you view it as a 100 year mortgage, then the costs of serving that debt over 100 years per head of population are actually not too steep.

Its not a huge tax increase over that length of time

Mat Hancock has gone up in my expectations didn't realise he had it in him.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

In a few years time, a lot of people are going to pretend they didn’t support lockdowns and harsh restrictions. When the numbers are crunched, the financial payback is in full force and the devastating collateral damage becomes clear to the masses, watch them distance themselves

Yes to this "

Yes again to this x

"Just look at the numbers....last week 9600 people died in the UK. 100 with Covid with 78% of those people over 80. That means 9500 died without even a mention.

"

I have to say this kind of utter crap boils my piss.

If you want to quote stats with zero insight into this pandemic perhaps go and talk to the 128,000+ families of the deceased, go visit the 560,000 critical care survivors many of which are trying to recover their speech whilst living a life at 1mph with a knowledge that their remaining days will be spent with an oxygen bottle in tow. Or the 1million plus long covid sufferers with their uncertain future and a serious question mark over their ability to recover their lung capacity or heart function.

I can’t relate to your level of selfishness to be honest so I’m not going to try and understand your perspective.

The South

If you want to quote stats with zero insight into this pandemic perhaps go and talk to the 128,000+ families of the deceased, go visit the 560,000 critical care survivors many of which are trying to recover their speech whilst living a life at 1mph with a knowledge that their remaining days will be spent with an oxygen bottle in tow. Or the 1million plus long covid sufferers with their uncertain future and a serious question mark over their ability to recover their lung capacity or heart function.

I can’t relate to your level of selfishness to be honest so I’m not going to try and understand your perspective. "

Well said.

E

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"

x

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"Mat Hancock has gone up in my expectations didn't realise he had it in him. "

Apparently she didn’t realise he had it in her either!

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

I thought it was serious at the outset.

Then I started working on Covid, saw the devastation it was causing familiies, and then realised how truly serious it was.

I can’t relate to your level of selfishness to be honest so I’m not going to try and understand your perspective. "

x"

Natural selection at its finest.

x

Natural selection at its finest. "

To avoid any confusion I don't mean those who have suffered through covid. I mean the conspiracy theorists identifying themselves so we can all politely separate ourselves rather than be subjected to baseless lunacy.

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"Early on I wondered what all the fuss was about.

I still feel responsible, even though my brother did have other health conditions that left him a little more susceptable.

I'm so sorry"

Just to echo what IASDS said. Very sorry to hear that.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"

You have the supreme good fortune to be living in the one corner of the UK that has had the lowest incidence of covid. I myself have relatives down there and have been glad to know that they were in the safest possible place. However, failing to be personally affected by a global event that has killed millions of people does not make it unreal.

Yes, people have died of cancer, accidents and mental illness during this period. Also 128 thousand or so have died due to things like drowning in their own body fluids that have inexorably filled their lungs. And if it wasn't for the sacrifices that many many have made over the last 18 months, that number would have been a hell of a lot higher.

The thing that does make me incredibly angry though? The main reason we are still "stuck on the covid tricky hamster wheel" is because of those that refuse to follow simple and self-obvious guidelines for reducing the spread of the disease. The ones that bleat about infringement of their liberties, while not allowing others the liberty to not be breathed on. The ones that aided the spread, by not listening when asked to cut down on unnecessary travel. The ones that always say "I, me, mine. I want. My liberty." instead of "You, they, others. What do they need. How can I help." The selfish ones.

World War 2 did not happen either because it did not effect me personally and I don't know anyone who died from it.

Its a hoax

By *dysseusukMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"So have your views changed

X"

Brilliantly said

I had it and recently found out that it’s left me with a few health long term and potentially serious health issues. Had I not been fit, healthy and exercising may have resulted in a heart attack or stroke.

So I’m looking at doing things I love and having a less stressful work life by a more active one. Having a doctor say that your blood pressure puts you in the highest risk area when it was perfect before Covid makes you reassess life

oldham

"I had it and recently found out that it’s left me with a few health long term and potentially serious health issues. Had I not been fit, healthy and exercising may have resulted in a heart attack or stroke.

So I’m looking at doing things I love and having a less stressful work life by a more active one. Having a doctor say that your blood pressure puts you in the highest risk area when it was perfect before Covid makes you reassess life"

Can I ask had you been vaccinated or was this prior to the roll out?

You have the supreme good fortune to be living in the one corner of the UK that has had the lowest incidence of covid. I myself have relatives down there and have been glad to know that they were in the safest possible place. However, failing to be personally affected by a global event that has killed millions of people does not make it unreal.

Yes, people have died of cancer, accidents and mental illness during this period. Also 128 thousand or so have died due to things like drowning in their own body fluids that have inexorably filled their lungs. And if it wasn't for the sacrifices that many many have made over the last 18 months, that number would have been a hell of a lot higher.

The thing that does make me incredibly angry though? The main reason we are still "stuck on the covid tricky hamster wheel" is because of those that refuse to follow simple and self-obvious guidelines for reducing the spread of the disease. The ones that bleat about infringement of their liberties, while not allowing others the liberty to not be breathed on. The ones that aided the spread, by not listening when asked to cut down on unnecessary travel. The ones that always say "I, me, mine. I want. My liberty." instead of "You, they, others. What do they need. How can I help." The selfish ones."

Well said.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

My views haven’t changed. I was in contact with China through work and knew we’d end up in lockdown. I had what I think might have been covid in New Year 2020.

My pal ended up in hospital with covid and she’s had both vaccines. I tested negative and I’ve not had the vaccines.

We’re not getting told the truth. How many people have long covid and still ill at home, unable to work? They don’t appear on any reports but I know several people in this situation.

Frontline staff are exhausted.

"My views haven’t changed. I was in contact with China through work and knew we’d end up in lockdown. I had what I think might have been covid in New Year 2020.

My pal ended up in hospital with covid and she’s had both vaccines. I tested negative and I’ve not had the vaccines.

We’re not getting told the truth. How many people have long covid and still ill at home, unable to work? They don’t appear on any reports but I know several people in this situation.

Frontline staff are exhausted.

"

Long Covid figures are estimated at over 1 million now diagnosed. An estimated total of 1.5m is presumed by many charged with planning for their provision of care.

"I had it and recently found out that it’s left me with a few health long term and potentially serious health issues. Had I not been fit, healthy and exercising may have resulted in a heart attack or stroke.

So I’m looking at doing things I love and having a less stressful work life by a more active one. Having a doctor say that your blood pressure puts you in the highest risk area when it was perfect before Covid makes you reassess life

Can I ask had you been vaccinated or was this prior to the roll out? "

If you’re trying to link my diabetes to the vaccine, then don’t. I really mean DON’T.

I had one jab when I had the diagnosis, which was following blood tests as I’d been feeling off colour since having Covid. I had my bloods done back in September as part of a work health check and my blood sugars were 40 (a little high so I cut back on what little nice things I ate/drank). The post Covid number was 59.

There is a link between diabetes and Covid and the Diabetes UK website states that research is ongoing.

Covid also messed up my once perfect blood pressure. When I went to see the doctor it was 210/127 (a little high). The doctor said if I was t so fit then it was likely that I could have suffered a heart attack or stroke.

So I’m looking at doing something I love rather than a job I’m good at

Dudley

"

There's so much false information in this most it's unreal, I can't believe after almost 18 months there are people that still believe this.

It is not the flu and it doesn't only affect older people.

The REALITY is that you've managed to avoid being affected by the severity of the disease, that doesn't mean it isn't serious and it doesn't mean it's not real. It means you've been lucky, it could have been very different.

By *DGF20Man  over a year ago

Dublin

It's only two weeks to flatten the curve guys

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"It's only two weeks to flatten the curve guys "

Love that quote. Said at the start of a worldwide pandemic when nobody knew where it was going.

» Add a new message to this topic