FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Britain will be facing a food shortage..

Britain will be facing a food shortage..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Apparently britain will be facing a food shortage. I am not sure if it is down to the virus, brexit or the lorry drivers, what do you think it is down too and have you stocked up on food? I have and I got things like rice, toilet papers and the most important thing more haribos, you cant live without the haribos

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"Apparently britain will be facing a food shortage. I am not sure if it is down to the virus, brexit or the lorry drivers, what do you think it is down too and have you stocked up on food? I have and I got things like rice, toilet papers and the most important thing more haribos, you cant live without the haribos "

I knew it wouldn’t be long before you picked up the story about Haribo shortages

(There’s a thread in the politics section about it)

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Oh God don't anyone start stockpiling loo roll again.

"Apparently britain will be facing a food shortage. I am not sure if it is down to the virus, brexit or the lorry drivers, what do you think it is down too and have you stocked up on food? I have and I got things like rice, toilet papers and the most important thing more haribos, you cant live without the haribos

I knew it wouldn’t be long before you picked up the story about Haribo shortages

"

That is right. I was quick about this story too and lol at the haribos, that is good. I will check out the thread in the politic section too

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

The Haribo shortage is all over the news.

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

food shortage and food rotting in uk fields...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's interesting that we are short of lorry drivers.

I've never been able to fathom why industries fail to recruit when there are literally millions of unemployed.

Could it be that they do not wish to invest in training? Finding it easier to poach of each other and other countries until recently.

I voted against brexit but if it starts making uk companies more responsible for upskilling and training the UK workforce, it won't be all bad.

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"Apparently britain will be facing a food shortage. I am not sure if it is down to the virus, brexit or the lorry drivers, what do you think it is down too and have you stocked up on food? I have and I got things like rice, toilet papers and the most important thing more haribos, you cant live without the haribos "

Food shortage - you eat toilet rolls? Less food = less no. 2s??

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

The driver shortage is a combination of Covid and Brexit. Driver training and testing was delayed for thousands of truck drivers last year. Combined with an exodus of foreign drivers after Brexit, we're in a driver drought which leads to supply chain issues everywhere.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Lol there taking the piss still lot's of UK food just not a big supermarket finding it hard to get people to work for low pay buy locally you'll not go hungry .

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

What a mess. Shortages of staff (due to both Brexit and Covid):

- Nurses

- Doctors

- Fruit Pickers

- HGV drivers

- Trades (plumbers, builders, carpenters, electricians etc)

- Hospitality

Short term only solution is to relax visa rules for different jobs/sectors.

Medium term they surely have to explore getting those who are unemployed trained AND ensure the jobs pay better than being in receipt of a range of benefits you would lose when working.

Long term needs proper integration between education and workforce planning, encouraging paid apprenticeships and dispelling the idea everyone should go to Uni.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"The driver shortage is a combination of Covid and Brexit. Driver training and testing was delayed for thousands of truck drivers last year. Combined with an exodus of foreign drivers after Brexit, we're in a driver drought which leads to supply chain issues everywhere. "

I think you are right - also, some of the driver remember being stuck here around Christmas which has not increased their enthusiasm. I really hope we can get supply chains organised soon. Heaven forbid we have only the wrong kind of Haribos

By *inge61Couple  over a year ago

n/wales

no shortage of drivers just shortage of respect for the job they do poor conditions ,poor wages etc most of them wont bother doing the job anymore

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The UK is fairly messed up, after Johnson imposed a deal that makes things worse for the majority of us and especially for Northern Ireland. Covid has highlighted the severe difficulties that we face and how poorly so many employees are valued - 1% nurses and NHS pay, for example - whilst we've made so many great staff from the EU unwelcome here.

Unfortunately the pandemic experience is that those in charge do everything too late, whilst dithering ad nausea, so I'm not expecting that much is going to change quickly enough.

There's still time to grow some stuff to eat well, so that's a good strategy, to at least have stuff that you know how it's been grown and will be available.

I think another factor is the hacking system server if the Co-Op in the US

*hacking of

Yes isn't the UK a complete shower without the EU.

How about we all grow a pair, get to work and put the "Great" back in to Britain!

When’s the food shortage meant to start. I can already feed my family for a month with my standard supply of food. Maybe I should get some more stuff just incase

Haribos are so crap anyway. They can completely disappear and I wouldn’t notice

"The Haribo shortage is all over the news. "
Yes it is, it is a very popular sweet as well, isnt there a haribo factory in the uk too?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Yes isn't the UK a complete shower without the EU.

How about we all grow a pair, get to work and put the "Great" back in to Britain!

"

Yep

When nothing else works meaningless empty slogans will save the day

"The driver shortage is a combination of Covid and Brexit. Driver training and testing was delayed for thousands of truck drivers last year. Combined with an exodus of foreign drivers after Brexit, we're in a driver drought which leads to supply chain issues everywhere. "

There has always been a trucker shortage. It has never been noticed before because the foreign truckers used to drive the loads in and deliver. Now they don't: Too much hassle and few return loads mean it is not as profitable. Not that they liked it here anyway. Expensive parking and few facilities compared to countries in Europe.

The answer to the shortage is simple: Increase the pay and do something about the bad working conditions. Never happen though. This is England.

"

We did. It just got spelt wrong.

Now it is "grate"

Yep

"

Well put - especially the "grow a pair" as it disadvantages us women... we simply can't

By *0shadesOfFilthMan  over a year ago

nearby

26% male/29% female adult obesity plus a third of kids, I doubt we’ll starve.

liverpool

Yep

Well put - especially the "grow a pair" as it disadvantages us women... we simply can't "

liverpool

"26% male/29% female adult obesity plus a third of kids, I doubt we’ll starve. "

Obesity is largely down to a poor diet.

"What a mess. Shortages of staff (due to both Brexit and Covid):

- Nurses

- Doctors

- Fruit Pickers

- HGV drivers

- Trades (plumbers, builders, carpenters, electricians etc)

- Hospitality

Short term only solution is to relax visa rules for different jobs/sectors.

Medium term they surely have to explore getting those who are unemployed trained AND ensure the jobs pay better than being in receipt of a range of benefits you would lose when working.

Long term needs proper integration between education and workforce planning, encouraging paid apprenticeships and dispelling the idea everyone should go to Uni."

That is spot on. All jobs with poor conditions that English people will generally avoid. Brexit has made a lot of migrants leave and now the English will have to work in those jobs that they left for the migrants. Covid has made things worse in the NHS and a lot of the staff has left due to stress and poor quality of live and recognition (1? pay rise felt like the government was laughing at the NHS) I know few nurses have gone for jobs at Aldi as apparently they get the same wage per month for stacking up shelves and they avoid the risk and pressure of the NHS.

So yes totally agree English people need to start working in some of the jobs they never wanted to and employers need to start looking at the conditions they offer to their staff and is shocking that a senior nurse working in an intensive care unit looking after the most poorly patients gets the same wage as someone stacking up shelves in Aldi.

Oh and by the way the nurses that applied for Aldi positions never got the job as they are overqualified for it as they got told.

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

Always curious as when exactly was "Great Britain" great ??? and for whom ?? has anyone ever put a century/decade/year on this ?? as we were informed that selling off all our state owned industry would put the "Great " back in our name ( and make it cheaper/better/faster and save us all shed loads of tax money ) and then of course it was the "Finance/Banking" sector that would once again make us world leaders and "Great" and then it was getting everyone working in the service led sectors that would make us truly "Great" again !! and then it was the "Free Market Forces" that would unshackle us all and make us truly great again !! and then it was "Profit above all else" and then " Private equity firms" and then " Hedge funds and their managers " and then " BIG tech".......and of course the latest was leaving the "EU" would allow us once again to ..

liverpool

" Always curious as when exactly was "Great Britain" great ??? and for whom ?? has anyone ever put a century/decade/year on this ?? as we were informed that selling off all our state owned industry would put the "Great " back in our name ( and make it cheaper/better/faster and save us all shed loads of tax money ) and then of course it was the "Finance/Banking" sector that would once again make us world leaders and "Great" and then it was getting everyone working in the service led sectors that would make us truly "Great" again !! and then it was the "Free Market Forces" that would unshackle us all and make us truly great again !! and then it was "Profit above all else" and then " Private equity firms" and then " Hedge funds and their managers " and then " BIG tech".......and of course the latest was leaving the "EU" would allow us once again to .."

When we ruled half the world.

Obvs.

By *anddXXXCouple  over a year ago

London

Is the shortage only Fois Gras and Caviar ? Or are Turkey twizzlers involved as well? A selective shortage.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Yep

Well put - especially the "grow a pair" as it disadvantages us women... we simply can't "

What about 'get a grip'..?

Admittedly I know not the origin of this equally puzzling cliché..

in Lancashire

" Always curious as when exactly was "Great Britain" great ??? and for whom ?? has anyone ever put a century/decade/year on this ?? as we were informed that selling off all our state owned industry would put the "Great " back in our name ( and make it cheaper/better/faster and save us all shed loads of tax money ) and then of course it was the "Finance/Banking" sector that would once again make us world leaders and "Great" and then it was getting everyone working in the service led sectors that would make us truly "Great" again !! and then it was the "Free Market Forces" that would unshackle us all and make us truly great again !! and then it was "Profit above all else" and then " Private equity firms" and then " Hedge funds and their managers " and then " BIG tech".......and of course the latest was leaving the "EU" would allow us once again to .."

Probably a PR stunt at some point, classic deflection..

liverpool

Yep

Well put - especially the "grow a pair" as it disadvantages us women... we simply can't

Admittedly I know not the origin of this equally puzzling cliché.."

I wonder what other pointless 3 word slogans have been doing the rounds?

in Lancashire

Yep

I wonder what other pointless 3 word slogans have been doing the rounds?"

NWO conspiracy’s but everything they are saying has happened or is happening not vaccinated and won’t be having it till I see the outcome in a years time. Combat indicator why would the government waiver liability if it’s safe. Still don’t know anyone to die from it. It’s always billy bullshiter or a friend of a friend.

I know people who have died and they have put it down as Covid when it clearly wasn’t

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

"NWO conspiracy’s but everything they are saying has happened or is happening not vaccinated and won’t be having it till I see the outcome in a years time. Combat indicator why would the government waiver liability if it’s safe. Still don’t know anyone to die from it. It’s always billy bullshiter or a friend of a friend.

I know people who have died and they have put it down as Covid when it clearly wasn’t "

What does this have to do with food shortages?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Yep

Labour is back?

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"Oh God don't anyone start stockpiling loo roll again."

I’ve still got a garage full. Only used once!

Food shortage….good. Might mean we then get a shortage of obese people…..which will mean the NHS can focus on those that are actually I’ll!

Central

[Removed by poster at 05/07/21 11:48:34]

Central

Yep

Break Boris's Balls would be a good one.

The ignorance of some who think that the millionaires running the country and most of our media, are in any way bothered about the oiks that doff their caps so willingly, to get some mythical Great Britain, when its nation states are wanting different things, is tragic.

The repeated excessive waits during the pandemic for those with power to take simple decisions, whilst jeopardising thousands of lives and the economy, speaks volumes of how generations of subservience and a mindset of gullibility, continues to pay off for those pulling the strings, as the puppets mouth the slogans

liverpool

"Food shortage….good. Might mean we then get a shortage of obese people…..which will mean the NHS can focus on those that are actually I’ll!"

liverpool

Yep

Break Boris's Balls would be a good one.

The ignorance of some who think that the millionaires running the country and most of our media, are in any way bothered about the oiks that doff their caps so willingly, to get some mythical Great Britain, when its nation states are wanting different things, is tragic.

The repeated excessive waits during the pandemic for those with power to take simple decisions, whilst jeopardising thousands of lives and the economy, speaks volumes of how generations of subservience and a mindset of gullibility, continues to pay off for those pulling the strings, as the puppets mouth the slogans "

You only need to look at some of the replies on here to see that.

Let's not blame the brexit shit show.. lets blame fat people.

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"Oh God don't anyone start stockpiling loo roll again.

I’ve still got a garage full. Only used once! "

I know who to come and rob then if I run out.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

There is never a shortage of food. You may not get certain ingredients you’ve become accustomed too, just adapt and make a meal with what you can obtain.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Down to brexit x

ashford

"Food shortage….good. Might mean we then get a shortage of obese people…..which will mean the NHS can focus on those that are actually I’ll!"

Wow!!

Sovereignty & chips! That's all they'll get!

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

I think it's all Boris'fault, or maybe brexit, definitely tories. That people can't shop, cook or eat properly. Food shortage! .... Next it will be fuel... Then water... Bricks...

I'm still looking for these shortages.

There's a lot more food on the shelves than there was last March/April.

Ha I’ve never heard such utter drivel , scare mongering , let’s stock up and fuck the supply chain …. Stop being so selfish I for one have never been short of food since the pandemic started and don’t suppose I will be …

Well ive got plenty of condoms

By *aint_or_SinnerWoman  over a year ago

South County Dublin

"Well ive got plenty of condoms "

But there's a food shortage lots of protein

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

This has less to do with coronavirus and more to do with brexit.

Not related to food but I have just been told that a spare part for my fairly new car will now take 2 weeks from Germany, which in the past would take 2 days.

Of course, I can use the car without the satnav but still - does make you think, doesn't it?

ashford

"Ha I’ve never heard such utter drivel , scare mongering , let’s stock up and fuck the supply chain …. Stop being so selfish I for one have never been short of food since the pandemic started and don’t suppose I will be …"

It's not scaremongering it's real x

in Lancashire

"Not related to food but I have just been told that a spare part for my fairly new car will now take 2 weeks from Germany, which in the past would take 2 days.

Of course, I can use the car without the satnav but still - does make you think, doesn't it? "

From what others have posted there are issues in the supply chains etc, mostly being put down to brexit teething problems and 'global pandemic, to be expected' by some..

Changing times..

here

"Not related to food but I have just been told that a spare part for my fairly new car will now take 2 weeks from Germany, which in the past would take 2 days.

Of course, I can use the car without the satnav but still - does make you think, doesn't it? "

makes me think the service department/central hub need to adjust their JIT levels...

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

some people can't help being obese it could be down to medication

Blackpool

"Ha I’ve never heard such utter drivel , scare mongering , let’s stock up and fuck the supply chain …. Stop being so selfish I for one have never been short of food since the pandemic started and don’t suppose I will be …"
well said scaremongering about vaccine jabs and now food shortages. No need to stock up

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

As someone said you cannot reason with a fool

in Lancashire

"Ha I’ve never heard such utter drivel , scare mongering , let’s stock up and fuck the supply chain …. Stop being so selfish I for one have never been short of food since the pandemic started and don’t suppose I will be …

It's not scaremongering it's real x"

It is?

What do you suggest I rush out to stock up upon, every little hint helps..

Brighton

Irony being it is likely to be fresh fruit and veg that has shortages due to requirement for rapid distribution. Pretty sure there will be plenty of frozen pizzas and ready meals loaded with salt and sugar in the shops!

liverpool

Is this meant to be ironic?

liverpool

"Ha I’ve never heard such utter drivel , scare mongering , let’s stock up and fuck the supply chain …. Stop being so selfish I for one have never been short of food since the pandemic started and don’t suppose I will be …

As someone said you cannot reason with a fool"

Dont even try.

ashford

It is?

What do you suggest I rush out to stock up upon, every little hint helps.."

Dont recommend u stock up on anything tbh! But I notice working as a picker in a supermarket the shortages are there! I myself dont stock up on owt! If I have it all good if I dont then so b it! X

Tin town

It is?

Dont recommend u stock up on anything tbh! But I notice working as a picker in a supermarket the shortages are there! I myself dont stock up on owt! If I have it all good if I dont then so b it! X"

I think it's outrageous that the government department for shopping and eating haven't told us what we should buy and eat instead of the shortages... What can I possibly replace my Coco pops with...? One rule for them and one for us..

Scaremongers cause these issues more then the actual facts! Note...not saying anyone here is.

Yes there will be certain shortages of items but don't panic, none of us will starve as such & you'll still be able to wipe your arses!

ashford

It is?

Dont recommend u stock up on anything tbh! But I notice working as a picker in a supermarket the shortages are there! I myself dont stock up on owt! If I have it all good if I dont then so b it! X

I think it's outrageous that the government department for shopping and eating haven't told us what we should buy and eat instead of the shortages... What can I possibly replace my Coco pops with...? One rule for them and one for us.. "

Lol! Plenty of coco pops this morn! Try coco loops if they run short! x

here

It is?

I think it's outrageous that the government department for shopping and eating haven't told us what we should buy and eat instead of the shortages... What can I possibly replace my Coco pops with...? One rule for them and one for us.. "

A bag of Scott's Porridge Oats will see you right for weeks (make sure you make it with salt though)

liverpool

"Scaremongers cause these issues more then the actual facts! Note...not saying anyone here is.

Yes there will be certain shortages of items but don't panic, none of us will starve as such & you'll still be able to wipe your arses! "

No one is panicking but maybe a few of us think it's a bit daft to deliberately ensure we have shortages?

By *heel markMan  over a year ago

beside the sea

Also the fact their wages are shite and vosa , who want £££ for minor infringements, not enough lorry parks , i could go on.

ashford

It is?

I think it's outrageous that the government department for shopping and eating haven't told us what we should buy and eat instead of the shortages... What can I possibly replace my Coco pops with...? One rule for them and one for us..

A bag of Scott's Porridge Oats will see you right for weeks (make sure you make it with salt though) "

Nooo! Sugar grahams gold milk and double cream x

Tin town

"The driver shortage is a combination of Covid and Brexit. Driver training and testing was delayed for thousands of truck drivers last year. Combined with an exodus of foreign drivers after Brexit, we're in a driver drought which leads to supply chain issues everywhere.

Also the fact their wages are shite and vosa , who want £££ for minor infringements, not enough lorry parks , i could go on."

I'm guessing covid/ brexit took away our lorry parks too.?

Tin town

It is?

A bag of Scott's Porridge Oats will see you right for weeks (make sure you make it with salt though)

Nooo! Sugar grahams gold milk and double cream x"

Were you spying on me this morning? Can't understand why my trousers have all shrunk though.

"26% male/29% female adult obesity plus a third of kids, I doubt we’ll starve. "

How does that even work

By *heel markMan  over a year ago

beside the sea

"The driver shortage is a combination of Covid and Brexit. Driver training and testing was delayed for thousands of truck drivers last year. Combined with an exodus of foreign drivers after Brexit, we're in a driver drought which leads to supply chain issues everywhere.

Also the fact their wages are shite and vosa , who want £££ for minor infringements, not enough lorry parks , i could go on.

I'm guessing covid/ brexit took away our lorry parks too.?"

Nothing to do with that there's just not enough and of the ones there is there expensive and the facilities are filthy.

By *he RingmasterMan  over a year ago

Canford Cliffs

If you haven't done so yet Google "Nine Meals from Anarchy" (the concept as opposed to the food range).

Pay people more and jobs will be filled.

Blackpool

"Scaremongers cause these issues more then the actual facts! Note...not saying anyone here is.

Yes there will be certain shortages of items but don't panic, none of us will starve as such & you'll still be able to wipe your arses! "

glad to hear it lol

By *ood time Chris BMan  over a year ago

TAUNTON AREA

Totally true

liverpool

"Food shortage….good. Might mean we then get a shortage of obese people…..which will mean the NHS can focus on those that are actually I’ll!

Totally true "

Bangs head on table

in Lancashire

It is?

A bag of Scott's Porridge Oats will see you right for weeks (make sure you make it with salt though) "

Over rated, paying for the name..

I gets me oats mind but not that brand..

And no salt..

here

It is?

Over rated, paying for the name..

I gets me oats mind but not that brand..

And no salt.. "

London

Yep

Labour is back? "

Vote Jeremy Corbyn

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

There has always been a trucker shortage. It has never been noticed before because the foreign truckers used to drive the loads in and deliver. Now they don't: Too much hassle and few return loads mean it is not as profitable. Not that they liked it here anyway. Expensive parking and few facilities compared to countries in Europe.

The answer to the shortage is simple: Increase the pay and do something about the bad working conditions. Never happen though. This is England."

Totally agree. In the past 25 years, I have worked in both a Driver Supply Agency plus as Ops Director for a huge Truck Stop in the South of England.

There was a driver shortage even on the mid-90's, not helped over the decades since by barmy rules set by Brussels, which every EEC country ignored completely, except the UK, which followed to the letter and hit recruiting of drivers.

In respect of UK Driver facilities, the company whose Truckstop I worked for was approached by a Dutch Transport organisation to collaborate with them to lobby the Govt on the need for 30 identified sites across the UK, where Truckstops were badly needed.

With massive support from Trucking bodies, Freight Organisations and Hauliers, plus Police Forces across the whole of the UK who recognised truck and load crimes would drop. all we got in turn was a total lack of interest from Central Govt plus local councils getting in the way with a "NIMBY" Attitude and blocking our way even at proposal stages.

The Dutch Company eventually pulled out, stating the UK attitudes towards Trucks and their personnel was the worst in all of Europe.

Brexit, Covid, and the log-jam of ships caught up in the Suez Canal incident earlier in the year haven't helped.

liverpool

Yep

Labour is back?

Vote Jeremy Corbyn"

You realise jeremy corbyn isnt the leader any more?

And we arent in the middle of a general election?

But well done for getting Brexit done

It's going swimmingly

Truck drivers as a direct result of Brexit

By *aseMan  over a year ago

Gourock

People like you who cause panic buying....fool

"no shortage of drivers just shortage of respect for the job they do poor conditions ,poor wages etc most of them wont bother doing the job anymore "

That's fast changing in terms of pay. Rates I've seen offered are eye watering.

Blackpool

"People like you who cause panic buying....fool"
well said

"Apparently britain will be facing a food shortage. I am not sure if it is down to the virus, brexit or the lorry drivers, what do you think it is down too and have you stocked up on food? I have and I got things like rice, toilet papers and the most important thing more haribos, you cant live without the haribos

That is right. I was quick about this story too and lol at the haribos, that is good. I will check out the thread in the politic section too "

The Haribo shortage is a national disgrace, children are crying outside shops,

"People like you who cause panic buying....fool"

I always felt that as an adult I am responsible for my action?

Just because people are stockpiling whatever they are choosing to stockpile, it does not mean I will.

So I am not sure whether we can blame individual people for causing stockpiling unless they are creating a campaign on social media dn TV etc telling everybody to empty the shops.

By *pellboundCouple  over a year ago

Derby and North Wales

Yeah there’s more than a few who would benefit from less food available

Can you imagine the whining on on social media

liverpool

"Yeah there’s more than a few who would benefit from less food available

Can you imagine the whining on on social media "

All those fat people on Facebook you mean?

All those fat people on Facebook you mean?"

Are you a better person if you are fat on Facebook (sounds like a new TV series) or on Linkedin?

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

Can you imagine the whining on on social media "

How lovely.

There's also more than a few that would benefit from having their heads removed from their arses.

liverpool

Are you a better person if you are fat on Facebook (sounds like a new TV series) or on Linkedin? "

Seems a popular opinion though

How lovely.

There's also more than a few that would benefit from having their heads removed from their arses. "

Surgically?

Are you a better person if you are fat on Facebook (sounds like a new TV series) or on Linkedin?

"

I am only being playful - I cannot buy into any undercover fat shaming.

In fact, I cannot buy into any fat shaming.

Correction again: I cannot buy in to any shamming. Got there in the end

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

How lovely.

There's also more than a few that would benefit from having their heads removed from their arses.

Surgically? "

Hopefully, without anaesthetic

liverpool

Correction again: I cannot buy in to any shamming. Got there in the end "

Seems to be quite done in an underhanded way on here.

Seems to be quite done in an underhanded way on here."

Undercover as I called it lol - what was I thinking.....

Either way, no need to shame anybody when we can play nicely and just meet and play with those we fancy.

liverpool

Either way, no need to shame anybody when we can play nicely and just meet and play with those we fancy. "

I just find it a bit strange that no one will openly admit to fat shaming but we have had,what,5 posters do it 1 thread.

Odd.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Either way, no need to shame anybody when we can play nicely and just meet and play with those we fancy.

I just find it a bit strange that no one will openly admit to fat shaming but we have had,what,5 posters do it 1 thread.

Odd."

Well I imagine that there's many hypocrites around who say one thing on social media and behind closed doors have a very different opinion.

liverpool

Odd.

Well I imagine that there's many hypocrites around who say one thing on social media and behind closed doors have a very different opinion.

"

True dat

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"no shortage of drivers just shortage of respect for the job they do poor conditions ,poor wages etc most of them wont bother doing the job anymore "

This.

I have a mate in the industry, he says moral is at all time low.

No respect, poor contracts and lack of remuneration.

They can’t get enough new people into the industry and those in it are looking to leave.

"no shortage of drivers just shortage of respect for the job they do poor conditions ,poor wages etc most of them wont bother doing the job anymore

This.

They can’t get enough new people into the industry and those in it are looking to leave. "

Must be really frustrating.

Where I work we have a problem with hauliers getting our stock to us , due to lack of drivers because they are

1) going back home

2) leaving to go to another hauliers

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"no shortage of drivers just shortage of respect for the job they do poor conditions ,poor wages etc most of them wont bother doing the job anymore

This.

They can’t get enough new people into the industry and those in it are looking to leave.

Must be really frustrating. "

Also their maybe many unemployed however there's many of those who refuse to do "manual" labour jobs as it's seen to be below them and many seem to think that to they are only going to be YouTube influences.

The government should reintroduce funding for people who want to retrain in different area's or who are unemployed but haven't got the necessary qualifications to work in certain areas.

I'm sure plenty would be willing to train as HGV driver's if they had help getting qualified.

And don't forget many industries have been decimated by the influx of cheap European labour willing to work for less money on short term contracts .

Which is why these bloody contract's exist.

Also as I'm on a role, bloody employment agencies I could rant for pages about how much harm they have done to employees and full time jobs over the past 35+ year's.

London

Yep

Labour is back?

Vote Jeremy Corbyn

It's going swimmingly

"

It is for some. Normally those without a political agenda. Those who just get on with it and not looking for excuses for there own life. We've had a 300% rise in turnover this year. Have had trouble with labour due to that, but upped our rates we pay by 20% and passed the cost on and still manage to find the workers. Got Bulgarians, Romanians and Polish along with the UK contingent and none of them moan about Brexit as much as some on here. It's done, it's over, stop making excuses for everything. Chin Up and crack on.

" It's done, it's over, stop making excuses for everything. Chin Up and crack on."

If only it were that simple. I mean that sincerely not sarcastically.

here

That is right. I was quick about this story too and lol at the haribos, that is good. I will check out the thread in the politic section too

The Haribo shortage is a national disgrace, children are crying outside shops, "

This.

Must be really frustrating.

Also their maybe many unemployed however there's many of those who refuse to do "manual" labour jobs as it's seen to be below them and many seem to think that to they are only going to be YouTube influences.

The government should reintroduce funding for people who want to retrain in different area's or who are unemployed but haven't got the necessary qualifications to work in certain areas.

I'm sure plenty would be willing to train as HGV driver's if they had help getting qualified.

And don't forget many industries have been decimated by the influx of cheap European labour willing to work for less money on short term contracts .

Which is why these bloody contract's exist.

Also as I'm on a role, bloody employment agencies I could rant for pages about how much harm they have done to employees and full time jobs over the past 35+ year's.

"

Pay better - stay longer.

Long periods on your own, poor working conditions. That's just a start. Yep, cheaper labour was used. Not much choice - pay peanuts, get monkeys. And while the govt and the RHA may be vocal about shortages, neither seems to be interested in putting hand in pocket. Relationships suffer as well. Van driving's better, you're home at night.

Tin town

The Haribo shortage is a national disgrace, children are crying outside shops, "

Imagine what would happen if they were forced to eat carrot sticks instead... Poor kids. It's a fascist state we are in...

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

I am not a lorry driver but anecdotally this is what I have read too on some trucking forums.

The costs of doing their certification, the dreadful hourly rates (which foreign drivers could manage on but Brits cannot), the bureaucratic nightmare of Brexit, the treatment by Logistics Managers of their staff, long unsocial hours, infractions for an ever growing list of "violations", all combined to make it a very unattractive job.

For nat min wage you can flip burgers in McDonalds. (I think they pay more than that). And you get to go home at the end of the night, rather than sleeping in a sweaty lorry pissing in a plastic bottle. (It was common that pretty much off of them hated filthy service station facilities).

Can't say I blame them.

"It's interesting that we are short of lorry drivers.

I've never been able to fathom why industries fail to recruit when there are literally millions of unemployed.

Could it be that they do not wish to invest in training? Finding it easier to poach of each other and other countries until recently.

I voted against brexit but if it starts making uk companies more responsible for upskilling and training the UK workforce, it won't be all bad. "

It's nothing to do about recruiting. Apparently there are over 700 trained lorry drivers who could drive but refuse to because of shite wages and working conditions. And that info is from a reliable source. Nothing to do about recruiting

Tin town

"It's interesting that we are short of lorry drivers.

I voted against brexit but if it starts making uk companies more responsible for upskilling and training the UK workforce, it won't be all bad.

It's nothing to do about recruiting. Apparently there are over 700 trained lorry drivers who could drive but refuse to because of shite wages and working conditions. And that info is from a reliable source. Nothing to do about recruiting "

So the market will find its level. They will either increase wages or lose customers... Just like every other part of the economy. Or they will do the paperwork and get Europeans back over and do it. Its lorry driving not putting a man on the moon.

liverpool

Yep

Labour is back?

Vote Jeremy Corbyn

It's going swimmingly

It is for some. Normally those without a political agenda. Those who just get on with it and not looking for excuses for there own life. We've had a 300% rise in turnover this year. Have had trouble with labour due to that, but upped our rates we pay by 20% and passed the cost on and still manage to find the workers. Got Bulgarians, Romanians and Polish along with the UK contingent and none of them moan about Brexit as much as some on here. It's done, it's over, stop making excuses for everything. Chin Up and crack on."

Yep I'm sure yet another empty slogan will miraculously solve that minor tiffle in northern Ireland.

London

Yep

Labour is back?

Vote Jeremy Corbyn

It's going swimmingly

It is for some. Normally those without a political agenda. Those who just get on with it and not looking for excuses for there own life. We've had a 300% rise in turnover this year. Have had trouble with labour due to that, but upped our rates we pay by 20% and passed the cost on and still manage to find the workers. Got Bulgarians, Romanians and Polish along with the UK contingent and none of them moan about Brexit as much as some on here. It's done, it's over, stop making excuses for everything. Chin Up and crack on.

Yep I'm sure yet another empty slogan will miraculously solve that minor tiffle in northern Ireland. "

Here speaks a man that has never had a glass thats half full. Always doom and gloom and look at the negatives. It's business it will be sorted, always will. Don't worry yourself, it won't effect your life. In 5 years time you won't be writing your memoirs concentrating how a minor tiffle in Northern Ireland, Brexit and a lack of Lorry Drivers meant you nearly starved to death. I can guarantee you your local Netto will still will be stocked with all the delights you adore. Because again it's business and instead of stamping their feet and moaning they will find a way to get around it.

liverpool

Yep

Labour is back?

Vote Jeremy Corbyn

It's going swimmingly

Yep I'm sure yet another empty slogan will miraculously solve that minor tiffle in northern Ireland.

Here speaks a man that has never had a glass thats half full. Always doom and gloom and look at the negatives. It's business it will be sorted, always will. Don't worry yourself, it won't effect your life. In 5 years time you won't be writing your memoirs concentrating how a minor tiffle in Northern Ireland, Brexit and a lack of Lorry Drivers meant you nearly starved to death. I can guarantee you your local Netto will still will be stocked with all the delights you adore. Because again it's business and instead of stamping their feet and moaning they will find a way to get around it. "

Oh dear

Brighton

The Haribo shortage is a national disgrace, children are crying outside shops,

Imagine what would happen if they were forced to eat carrot sticks instead... Poor kids. It's a fascist state we are in... "

I am sure all those Brexit voting parents must actually be over the moon. Haribo - bloody German sweets!

The mums need to get out there on the streets and marching to Westminster protesting and shouting “British sweets for British kids” ... except they might now get arrested by the Police for making a nuisance of themselves so best not ay?

2 years ago it was highlighted that there would be a shortage of hgv drivers....

Brexit and the virus hadnt happened then.

Yep

Labour is back?

Vote Jeremy Corbyn

It's going swimmingly

Here speaks a man that has never had a glass thats half full. Always doom and gloom and look at the negatives. It's business it will be sorted, always will. Don't worry yourself, it won't effect your life. In 5 years time you won't be writing your memoirs concentrating how a minor tiffle in Northern Ireland, Brexit and a lack of Lorry Drivers meant you nearly starved to death. I can guarantee you your local Netto will still will be stocked with all the delights you adore. Because again it's business and instead of stamping their feet and moaning they will find a way to get around it.

Oh dear

"

There was a program on TV last night "Brexit six months on" and there were people who had experienced difficulties e.g. with export documentation: 80 pages for a consignment where pre-Brexit it had been 1 page.

It was not all doom and gloom and it was reported in a balanced way. It mentioned new opportunities but also did highlight the losses businesses had already made and the mere fact some products/ lines may no longer be available in the UK as well as in the EU.

For me Brexit was never about Haribos (being facetious here) but about cutting not all but a lot of our ties with our closest ally.

What worried me more than anything was not even that - it was that this Government and Buffoon were "in charge" - and they ended up signing a very hasty last minute contract Christmas Eve I think it was ... without anybody ever really scrutinising....

I travel a lot and I find it deeply upsetting to hear what other countries say about the trustworthiness of this Government (and it is easy to associate this with its people). On some tiny scale I do my best to point out that the majority of British (including English) people are not behind the political scenes as played out and seen in the last 5 years.

liverpool

Yep

Labour is back?

Vote Jeremy Corbyn

It's going swimmingly

Oh dear

There was a program on TV last night "Brexit six months on" and there were people who had experienced difficulties e.g. with export documentation: 80 pages for a consignment where pre-Brexit it had been 1 page.

It was not all doom and gloom and it was reported in a balanced way. It mentioned new opportunities but also did highlight the losses businesses had already made and the mere fact some products/ lines may no longer be available in the UK as well as in the EU.

For me Brexit was never about Haribos (being facetious here) but about cutting not all but a lot of our ties with our closest ally.

What worried me more than anything was not even that - it was that this Government and Buffoon were "in charge" - and they ended up signing a very hasty last minute contract Christmas Eve I think it was ... without anybody ever really scrutinising....

I travel a lot and I find it deeply upsetting to hear what other countries say about the trustworthiness of this Government (and it is easy to associate this with its people). On some tiny scale I do my best to point out that the majority of British (including English) people are not behind the political scenes as played out and seen in the last 5 years."

Truth be told we dont know the full extent of the damage yet, covid has clearly had an impact,but its blindingly obvious it has caused major issues.

And like you say,this is totally self inflicted.In the winter when we were touching 2000 deaths a day and the country was in full lockdown, Johnson and his lackeys relentlessly pushed this through and announced what a great deal it was.

The fact that a mere 6 months we are crying we have been stitched up ,seems to be lost on some people.

Still Chin up,buy british or some other empty moronic saying will save the day

Truck driver here…..

Absolutely no food shortage just another media hype!! The Ports are the busiest import n export I’ve seen in a very long time..

Problem we do have is shortage of drivers as most European company’s would _ase there drivers here and undercut uk haulage company’s paying there own drivers peanuts!!

So now these uk food company’s want us to do the loads at the shit prices they was paying before to the Europeans…

Time to stop strangling the economy pay the rates fills the shelf’s

Tin town

"2 years ago it was highlighted that there would be a shortage of hgv drivers....

Brexit and the virus hadnt happened then."

2 years ago I'm not sure the general population new what an hgv driver was let alone cared whether we had enough of them for all our home shopping and dining needs. If we have to go without a few avocados or strawberries from Netherlands for a while I'm sure we will survive.

Tin town

"Truck driver here…..

Absolutely no food shortage just another media hype!! The Ports are the busiest import n export I’ve seen in a very long time..

Problem we do have is shortage of drivers as most European company’s would _ase there drivers here and undercut uk haulage company’s paying there own drivers peanuts!!

So now these uk food company’s want us to do the loads at the shit prices they was paying before to the Europeans…

Time to stop strangling the economy pay the rates fills the shelf’s "

It's not as if the supermarkets haven't got the money to do so.

"Truck driver here…..

Exactly, its supply and demand 101.

The supply of labour has fallen, the demand for labour has remained constant therefore the cost of that labour will increase.

"Truck driver here…..

Exactly, its supply and demand 101.

The supply of labour has fallen, the demand for labour has remained constant therefore the cost of that labour will increase. "

Or if they don't want to pay more they need to increase the supply of labour by offering training courses rather than hoping someone else will do it and then poach that trained employee

"If we have to go without a few avocados or strawberries from Netherlands for a while I'm sure we will survive. "

I would fully support this - we have plenty of choices and apart from anything else, avocados, great as they are, have a massive carbon footprint.

I am all for shopping fresh food locally, too.

I do like having the choice (and I know it is a luxury) of buying Italian Salami, Swiss chocolate, French cheese and German bread. If I cannot have it for a while, I am sure I will survive - it is just a "nice to have"

"If we have to go without a few avocados or strawberries from Netherlands for a while I'm sure we will survive.

I would fully support this - we have plenty of choices and apart from anything else, avocados, great as they are, have a massive carbon footprint.

I am all for shopping fresh food locally, too.

I do like having the choice (and I know it is a luxury) of buying Italian Salami, Swiss chocolate, French cheese and German bread. If I cannot have it for a while, I am sure I will survive - it is just a "nice to have" "

I'm a firm believer in the less i have something the more i enjoy it

I didn’t know you can eat toilet paper?

By * AND R 777Couple  over a year ago

Teesside

Lorry drivers we would not have enything in the shops if it wasn't for them

"Truck driver here…..

Exactly this

Brighton

"Truck driver here…..

It's not as if the supermarkets haven't got the money to do so. "

True. Their loyalty will of course be to their shareholders so they will pass on cost increases to customers.

British HGV drivers may see salary increase = Brexit win.

Everyone will pay more for food = Brexit lose.

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

It's incredibly simple: employers have to make themselves sufficiently attractive to attract the staff they need.

They've had a free ride for too long with low-cost Poles and Romanians. Both those groups have realised they have been exploited and their numbers have reduced.

Employers are now having to increase wages. This is already happening and is a very good thing.

It's the most basic law of economics.

Tin town

"It's incredibly simple: employers have to make themselves sufficiently attractive to attract the staff they need.

They've had a free ride for too long with low-cost Poles and Romanians. Both those groups have realised they have been exploited and their numbers have reduced.

Employers are now having to increase wages. This is already happening and is a very good thing.

It's the most basic law of economics."

liverpool

"It's incredibly simple: employers have to make themselves sufficiently attractive to attract the staff they need.

It's the most basic law of economics."

Do you think Brexit was conceived to raise wages?

Spain, Lancs

Do you think Brexit was conceived to raise wages?"

Yes... among other things such as restoring democracy.

Personally I cheer whenever supply and demand moves in favour of the workers. What do you do?

Personally I cheer whenever supply and demand moves in favour of the workers. What do you do?"

I do, too. Wholeheartedly.

Sadly, many workers were sold a Brexit that will not deliver on its promise in many ways. And it won't be the politicians who will go short.

Spain, Lancs

Personally I cheer whenever supply and demand moves in favour of the workers. What do you do?

Sadly, many workers were sold a Brexit that will not deliver on its promise in many ways. And it won't be the politicians who will go short."

We needed a harder Brexit really but this is better than the EU.

Wages for transport workers, retail, hospitality and leisure staff are already rising.

That will continue even though Remainers don't like it

in Lancashire

Sadly, many workers were sold a Brexit that will not deliver on its promise in many ways. And it won't be the politicians who will go short."

Tin town

Sadly, many workers were sold a Brexit that will not deliver on its promise in many ways. And it won't be the politicians who will go short.

We needed a harder Brexit really but this is better than the EU.

Wages for transport workers, retail, hospitality and leisure staff are already rising.

That will continue even though Remainers don't like it"

Who'd have thought making it harder to access cheap labour would have that effect?

liverpool

Personally I cheer whenever supply and demand moves in favour of the workers. What do you do?"

And how are workers rights panning out since we left the eu?

Restoring democracy

Spain, Lancs

Restoring democracy

"

Workers are in a stronger position.

You think democracy is a laughing matter. Why?

liverpool

Restoring democracy

You think democracy is a laughing matter. Why?"

That's not what I asked..I said how are workers rights panning out..its a simple question.

Strangely enough..I wasnt aware democracy was under threat by the eu .but do enlighten me

Spain, Lancs

You do realise that a tight labour market is the best friend a worker can have?

You do realise that it is tightening now and that wages are rising?

You do realise that workers in the EU actually have very few rights ..the employers work around 'protection' by way of short-term contracts?

You do realise that, according to the Commons library, almost 70% of EU law came from the EU?

You do realise that the EU deliberately forced down labour rates?

If not, why not?

liverpool

"You do realise that a tight labour market is the best friend a worker can have?

You do realise that it is tightening now and that wages are rising?

You do realise that workers in the EU actually have very few rights ..the employers work around 'protection' by way of short-term contracts?

You do realise that, according to the Commons library, almost 70% of EU law came from the EU?

You do realise that the EU deliberately forced down labour rates?

If not, why not?

"

Yep I'm not getting an answer there am I?

Restoring democracy

That's not what I asked..I said how are workers rights panning out..its a simple question.

Strangely enough..I wasnt aware democracy was under threat by the eu .but do enlighten me

"

That was how the story was sold - the "unelected undemocratic EU" and Brexit would bring all the milk and honey to British workers.

Let's take a look at the pensions in the EU states and compare them to British Pensions.

Then let's look at annual leave..

Employment contracts...

Hourly rates...

Education - Erasmus program

The list goes on.

I feel genuinely sorry for the people who believed the lies.

But I have stopped arguing, and support movement that will find a way to work more closely with the EU.

By *iscreteguy1287Man  over a year ago

Manchester

Haribo shortage???? Fuck.... Need to go and get loads of toilet rolls then haha

Spain, Lancs

Restoring democracy

That was how the story was sold - the "unelected undemocratic EU" and Brexit would bring all the milk and honey to British workers.

Let's take a look at the pensions in the EU states and compare them to British Pensions.

Employment contracts...

Hourly rates...

The list goes on.

But I have stopped arguing, and support movement that will find a way to work more closely with the EU."

If the EU is so good for workers, how do you explain the fact that nearly 6m of the desperate souls came to work in the UK?

liverpool

Restoring democracy

Employment contracts...

Hourly rates...

The list goes on.

But I have stopped arguing, and support movement that will find a way to work more closely with the EU."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56582566.amp

Hurrah.

Go team boris

Spain, Lancs

Why did 6m desperate unemployed and exploited EU people come to work in the UK?

Were they giving up good jobs to come to the UK?

Serious question

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Historically, there have been shortages after major crises for the last 800+ years; but balance is always restored in due course.

After the Black Death there was a shortage of labour, as their was after WW2; mitigated by the Windrush immigrants.

The last famine in Ireland was in the 1840s, caused by a sole product food supply,potatoes, that were infected by phytophtera infestans (blight); an uncaring colonial power and planter landlords who welcomed the opportunity to be rid of their tenants by death or emigration; an incompetent administration in Dublin and London; and an economic philosophy that emphasised market forces.

Those days are gone; governments know well that starvation, real starvation would spell the final demise of capitalism, as currently structured.

There may be scaremongering, but little to be frightened of, in reality!

liverpool

"Historically, there have been shortages after major crises for the last 800+ years; but balance is always restored in due course.

After the Black Death there was a shortage of labour, as their was after WW2; mitigated by the Windrush immigrants.

The last famine in Ireland was in the 1840s, caused by a sole product food supply,potatoes, that were infected by phytophtera infestans (blight); an uncaring colonial power and planter landlords who welcomed the opportunity to be rid of their tenants by death or emigration; an incompetent administration in Dublin and London; and an economic philosophy that emphasised market forces.

Those days are gone; governments know well that starvation, real starvation would spell the final demise of capitalism, as currently structured.

There may be scaremongering, but little to be frightened of, in reality!"

Again

Sort of missing the point.

No one is going to starve to death but there are problems we ourselves have created.

Spain, Lancs

"Historically, there have been shortages after major crises for the last 800+ years; but balance is always restored in due course.

Again

No one is going to starve to death but there are problems we ourselves have created."

Mr Hutz, why have over 6m EU workers left the EU to come and work in the UK if they were so well protected?

Second time of asking

liverpool

Again

No one is going to starve to death but there are problems we ourselves have created.

Mr Hutz, why have over 6m EU workers left the EU to come and work in the UK if they were so well protected?

Second time of asking"

Well seeing as you totally swerved by question, twice,I really cant be arsed answering yours

ask the lorry drivers why there is a shortage of drivers there plenty out there to ask ..its not covid and its not brexit its all about the shit pay they get for the responsibility they have

Spain, Lancs

Again

Second time of asking

Well seeing as you totally swerved by question, twice,I really cant be arsed answering yours

"

Mr Hutz, I have explained why UK workers have greater protection.

Will you explain why, if, as you claim, that EU workers are in a better position why 6m of the desperate souls came to a better life in Britain?

Third time of asking

liverpool

Again

Second time of asking

Mr Hutz, I have explained why UK workers have greater protection.

Will you explain why, if, as you claim, that EU workers are in a better position why 6m of the desperate souls came to a better life in Britain?

Third time of asking"

I asked you what had happened to workers rights here in the post brexit era?

You have made a vague claim about worker protection which does not answer my question.

Spain, Lancs

If you have a point to make, please make it

» Add a new message to this topic