FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Thank you to the virus volunteers

Thank you to the virus volunteers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

I've been thinking about all the people that have been working bloody hard to dig us out of this pandemic hole. We've done clapping for the NHS and for the essential workers, but I'm not sure if we've done thankyous to the volunteers allowing themselves to be guinea pigs in the trials for vaccines and other treatments?

Many years ago my dad allowed himself to be used as a test case for one of the first drugs for TB, and I've always thought him a bit brave to do that, but it was sort of a non-choice as he knew he would certainly die if he didn't take the treatment.

So if I think that was quite brave, I've got to have great respect for the volunteers over the last 18 months that were totally healthy but were in the first ones to take the vaccines when no-one really knew what they would do. I have to admit to a tiny worry myself when I was something like jab number 3 hundred million 76 thousand 2 hundred and 11, so I'd have been bricking it if I'd been number 1.

So it'd be nice to say thanks to all those that have done something pretty courageous helping in the early trials, and in the still ongoing trials for new and hopefully even better vaccines and drugs.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

"I've been thinking about all the people that have been working bloody hard to dig us out of this pandemic hole. We've done clapping for the NHS and for the essential workers, but I'm not sure if we've done thankyous to the volunteers allowing themselves to be guinea pigs in the trials for vaccines and other treatments?

Many years ago my dad allowed himself to be used as a test case for one of the first drugs for TB, and I've always thought him a bit brave to do that, but it was sort of a non-choice as he knew he would certainly die if he didn't take the treatment.

So if I think that was quite brave, I've got to have great respect for the volunteers over the last 18 months that were totally healthy but were in the first ones to take the vaccines when no-one really knew what they would do. I have to admit to a tiny worry myself when I was something like jab number 3 hundred million 76 thousand 2 hundred and 11, so I'd have been bricking it if I'd been number 1.

So it'd be nice to say thanks to all those that have done something pretty courageous helping in the early trials, and in the still ongoing trials for new and hopefully even better vaccines and drugs. "

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Absolutely! Without people willing to do the trials, we'd never make progress in medical science. Thank you to brave people who put themselves forward

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They got paid for being a guinea pig

Dudley

"Absolutely! Without people willing to do the trials, we'd never make progress in medical science. Thank you to brave people who put themselves forward "

Phew, I thought you pair had disappeared, we need some sensible people back in here, it's a mad house!

North West

"Absolutely! Without people willing to do the trials, we'd never make progress in medical science. Thank you to brave people who put themselves forward

Phew, I thought you pair had disappeared, we need some sensible people back in here, it's a mad house! "

Nah, we've been on hols and just had some time away from everything. Also got rather sick of seemingly swimming against the tide here.... But here we are

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"I've been thinking about all the people that have been working bloody hard to dig us out of this pandemic hole. We've done clapping for the NHS and for the essential workers, but I'm not sure if we've done thankyous to the volunteers allowing themselves to be guinea pigs in the trials for vaccines and other treatments?

So it'd be nice to say thanks to all those that have done something pretty courageous helping in the early trials, and in the still ongoing trials for new and hopefully even better vaccines and drugs. "

Dudley

"Absolutely! Without people willing to do the trials, we'd never make progress in medical science. Thank you to brave people who put themselves forward

Phew, I thought you pair had disappeared, we need some sensible people back in here, it's a mad house!

Nah, we've been on hols and just had some time away from everything. Also got rather sick of seemingly swimming against the tide here.... But here we are "

Well, I'm glad to see you back

North West

Nah, we've been on hols and just had some time away from everything. Also got rather sick of seemingly swimming against the tide here.... But here we are

Well, I'm glad to see you back "

Would rather still be on hols though

I agree with the thread...however, let's play devils advocate.

Thalidomide

Anyone seen "I Am Legend"? That started with a wonder Cancer cure drug...

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

"I agree with the thread...however, let's play devils advocate.

Thalidomide"

Thalidomide wasn't a vaccine in any way shape or form! Therefore is an irrelevant comparison.

Thalidomide is a drug that was developed in the 1950s by the West German pharmaceutical company Chemie Grünenthal GmbH. It was originally intended as a sedative or tranquiliser, but was soon used for treating a wide range of other conditions, including colds, flu, nausea and morning sickness in pregnant women.

Thanks to all who walked the path first for the benefits of billions.

Also thsnk you to all the vaccine volunteers and workers who have worked tirelessly to vaccination as much of the UK as possible.

KJ

Dudley

"Anyone seen "I Am Legend"? That started with a wonder Cancer cure drug..."

You know thats not real right?

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"Anyone seen "I Am Legend"? That started with a wonder Cancer cure drug..."

It wasn't a documentary.

E

"Anyone seen "I Am Legend"? That started with a wonder Cancer cure drug...

You know thats not real right?"

OMG! Have people had a complete sense of humour bypass???

Wake up FFS!!! Don't be a sheep, we're all capable of independent thought!!

The South

Yes. Yes. YES!!!!

I think it's incredibly brave and quite selfless to put your name down for a trial like this.

And thank God a large enough number of people did.

We are both double vaccinated (with zero side effects) and most likely wouldn't have been without those volunteers.

*doffs bowler

E

By *wilightTeaseCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

In the U.K. you did not get paid for taking part in the vaccine trials.

Guinea Pigs....

Most participants in the first big trial of 10,000 people were actually doctors. I know loads of them that volunteered as they all read the peer reviewed research papers and came to the conclusion that they did not want to end up on the wards they were working on. They did the research in the trial and as such joined the next phase. THIS is why I never understand people that do their own “research” and think they know better than those who are educated in analysing research papers - I.e. the medical profession.

No one was a true Guinea pig here. Not for something that has been researched for decades like mRNA at least and where huge amounts of data was available for review. Same for the old school vaccines that use the same method as previously. The Guinea pig part is “how effective is this” as opposed to “how dangerous is this”.

But yes, we should thank all those that participated in the trials as it was crucial in speeding up the vaccine process. It usually takes years to sign up 10,000 participants and here it took just days/weeks (weeks as so many weren’t eligible as comparative studies are very very strict when it comes to creating base lines). This mass volunteering likely saved tens of thousands of lives if not more. Thanks!

The South

"They got paid for being a guinea pig "

I don't think that's true.

The clue is in the word volunteer for a start.

And even if they did get paid, what's your point?

E

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

And to all the volunteers at the vaccine centres. I have never seen something so well done. In and out in minutes.

"

Thalidomide wasn't a vaccine in any way shape or form! Therefore is an irrelevant comparison.

"

But it was given to pregnant women by the nhs and they were told 'it's safe and will stop your morning sickness.'

So not really an irrelevant comparison.

The South

"

But it was given to pregnant women by the nhs and they were told 'it's safe and will stop your morning sickness.'

So not really an irrelevant comparison.

"

A drug that was developed by one company in one country, with little scrutiny, 71 years ago.

A vaccine that was developed through international collaboration, after decades of research, under the watch of the entire world.

Back to the thread topic....

In case it gets lost in the fog, a huge thanks to the volunteers who helped make this possible.

E

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I totally agree with OP, I am full of admiration and gratitude for the brave, selfless people who have taken risks on our behalf and given so much.

For all the many hours of protests, marching etc against the restrictions, the research volunteers, other volunteers and dedicated staff have gained us the substantial edge that allows us to get closer to a healthy life and something like a normality.

Not everyone has been without side effects or disruption to their lives in the research and we all owe them dearly, for their bravery and suffering on our behalf. Thank you so much

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Wake up FFS!!! Don't be a sheep, we're all capable of independent thought!!"

'Wake up FFS', as you say. Don't detract from the positivity and gratitude for those who risked and offered themselves on our behalf and are still doing so.

The South

I always chuckle at the people who trot out, word for word, the "Wake up FFS!!! Don't be a sheep, we're all capable of independent thought!!"

Irony.

Back to the subject, respect and thanks to those volunteers.

E

Dudley

Fucking baa.

My sense of humour is intact, my tolerance for selfish assholes spreading misinformation and outright lies has completely disappeared.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Great post OP.

I have to say those who have volunteered in any capacity, deserve some sort of official recognition.

The vaccine centres all seem to run like clockwork and without those willing to bectest subjects for the vaccines we wouldn't the route out of this situation.

In fact I applaud anyone willing to put themselves forward to trial new treatments.

» Add a new message to this topic