FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Wear a mask

Wear a mask

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

Some people question whether wearing a mask makes a difference:

“If you don’t wear masks, the virus will spread further. It is as simple as that,” said Julian Tang, a clinical virologist at Leicester University.

Tang said masks clearly limit the spread of viral particles from an infected person and also cut a wearer’s chance of picking up an infection from someone else. “Masks work both ways,” he told the Observer.

He said:

If you assume that a mask at least halves transmission, that means that for every 1,000 virus particles an infected person breathes out, only 500 will leave your mask. Then, when those particles reach someone else, similarly their masks will ensure at least a twofold reduction in the number of viruses reaching their mouths or noses. In other words, of the 1,000 virus particles an infected person has breathed out, only 250 or so will reach another person. That should reduce infection rates, and that is why masks are important.

Hopefully this will help people to recognise the impact of their decisions - Masks work for all of us.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

This. ^^^

E

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Some people question whether wearing a mask makes a difference:

“If you don’t wear masks, the virus will spread further. It is as simple as that,” said Julian Tang, a clinical virologist at Leicester University.

Tang said masks clearly limit the spread of viral particles from an infected person and also cut a wearer’s chance of picking up an infection from someone else. “Masks work both ways,” he told the Observer.

He said:

If you assume that a mask at least halves transmission, that means that for every 1,000 virus particles an infected person breathes out, only 500 will leave your mask. Then, when those particles reach someone else, similarly their masks will ensure at least a twofold reduction in the number of viruses reaching their mouths or noses. In other words, of the 1,000 virus particles an infected person has breathed out, only 250 or so will reach another person. That should reduce infection rates, and that is why masks are important.

Hopefully this will help people to recognise the impact of their decisions - Masks work for all of us."

Wish more understood that x although people do need to wear them properly for it to work x

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

Meanwhile Dr Colin Axom, advisor to Sage described them as nothing but comfort blankets.

"All around the world you can look at mask mandates and superimpose on infection rates, you cannot see that mask mandates made any effect whatsoever.

"The best thing you can say about any mask is that any positive effect they do have is too small to be measured."

The South

"Meanwhile Dr Colin Axom, advisor to Sage described them as nothing but comfort blankets.

"All around the world you can look at mask mandates and superimpose on infection rates, you cannot see that mask mandates made any effect whatsoever.

"The best thing you can say about any mask is that any positive effect they do have is too small to be measured."

"

Probably best surgeons stop wearing them then.

E

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

Tbh, especially in hot weather, masks are an annoyance, a very minor annoyance however, especially when considering the benefits to wearing them.

Uber are still insisting customers and drivers wear masks, I suspect many other businesses will do the same. I, for one, will fully support them and wear a mask.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

Yes

By *he Ring WraithMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Why should we believe the science when we can believe people on fab.

I suspect Boris is on Fab, someone must have convinced him to get rid of masks; the joys of 'civil liberties' but hey loads just ignored the law (being exempt - either really or conveniently) so they will really ignore 'guidance'.

Wear one or don't wear one but if you choose the latter stay well away from me !

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"Meanwhile Dr Colin Axom, advisor to Sage described them as nothing but comfort blankets.

"

The one and the same Dr Colin Axom who is Senior Lecturer in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at Brunel. He might be an advisor to Sage, but he is not a clinician or a viroligist. I mean can I be trusted to design a wing for a 747 because I can make a paper plane!?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

E"

I didn’t realise the surgeons are using the £2 a box of masks from B & M. Comparing the masks used in theatres to those worn by the general public is ridiculous.

Lazy tropes from either side of the argument really don’t help

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

E"

Oh dear.

Lancashire

The one and the same Dr Colin Axom who is Senior Lecturer in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at Brunel. He might be an advisor to Sage, but he is not a clinician or a viroligist. I mean can I be trusted to design a wing for a 747 because I can make a paper plane!? "

So a mechanical engineer explain the mechanics behind a device and you won’t have it. Righto…

By *he Ring WraithMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Maybe this has been asked before, but I have not seen an answer to it so -

If masks do not work, why do surgeons and anaesthetists and nurses in theatres wear them. Surely if they do not work we could be saving millions a year (well maybe thousands) on the NHS budget by not buying them !

The right kind mask works, IIR not the fancy single layer ones, I’ll still be wearing a mask in certain places, I don’t want to go back to wearing a chem suit picking up bodies again, this isn’t going away anytime soon folks

The South

E

I didn’t realise the surgeons are using the £2 a box of masks from B & M. Comparing the masks used in theatres to those worn by the general public is ridiculous.

Lazy tropes from either side of the argument really don’t help "

Not does quoting experts like Dr Colin Axiom who isn't an expert in virology, he's an engineer.

He's welcome to advise me on engineering matters.

Virus advice? No thanks.

E

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman  over a year ago

Pontypridd

"Maybe this has been asked before, but I have not seen an answer to it so -

If masks do not work, why do surgeons and anaesthetists and nurses in theatres wear them. Surely if they do not work we could be saving millions a year (well maybe thousands) on the NHS budget by not buying them !"

They are a different standard to the cheapies you can buy in bargain shops. But if you buy a good quality mask you get much better protection than with a cheap mask. Some mask makers line theirs with a waterproof material that is used in theatres and for keeping sterile equipment sealed - they offer really good protection.

I work in the nhs (non medical) and I also sew and make my own masks (for personal use only btw, I don’t sell) - happy to send links and info if anyone wants to know more.

The South

The one and the same Dr Colin Axom who is Senior Lecturer in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at Brunel. He might be an advisor to Sage, but he is not a clinician or a viroligist. I mean can I be trusted to design a wing for a 747 because I can make a paper plane!?

So a mechanical engineer explain the mechanics behind a device and you won’t have it. Righto… "

Is a mask a mechanical device, does it have any moving parts?

E

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman  over a year ago

Pontypridd

"

I’m an expert in software design - is my opinion on masks and transmission also classed as expert advice?

Lancashire

So a mechanical engineer explain the mechanics behind a device and you won’t have it. Righto…

E"

Does air pass through it or is it totally fixed?

Your stance is akin to Lewis Hamilton saying his car won’t go fast enough and the engineer saying it can’t. No doubt you’d believe Hamilton because he’s the driver

I’m an expert in software design - is my opinion on masks and transmission also classed as expert advice? "

Are you on sage?

The South

E

Your stance is akin to Lewis Hamilton saying his car won’t go fast enough and the engineer saying it can’t. No doubt you’d believe Hamilton because he’s the driver

"

I believe the expert.

In your example, Hamilton isn't the expert. Same as Dr Colin Axiom isn't the expert in this case.

E

The South

I’m an expert in software design - is my opinion on masks and transmission also classed as expert advice? "

I saw this a while ago about experts and opinions, seems valid.

"One of the most dangerous ideas that has come about in the last few years is that all points of view are equally valid and the average citizen is just as equipped to judge which have merit as well as anyone else.

“Hear all sides and judge for yourself!!!!”

No. I do not condone the death of expertise and neither should you.

I am an expert in very few things. But in those areas my expertise is hard earned through study, work, experience, research and aptitude.

None of it comes from attending Google University or Facebook College.

But unless you are an expert in exactly the same areas your opinion is simply not just as valid as mine. It’s just not.

And my opinion is not as valid as experts in other fields. That is why “they” and not “I” are the experts.

If our leading experts agree that A is correct and a couple of discredited Doctors, or a self-appointed YouTube/Facebook expert makes a video that says B is correct, our response shouldn’t be “I’ll listen to both sides and decide what makes sense to me”.

1) If you yourself aren’t an expert, what qualifies you to determine which is correct?

2)Confirmation bias exists. (And only fools think they are free of it)

To paraphrase Asimov, “your ignorance is not the same as their experience”.

E

Dudley

I’m an expert in software design - is my opinion on masks and transmission also classed as expert advice?

I saw this a while ago about experts and opinions, seems valid.

"One of the most dangerous ideas that has come about in the last few years is that all points of view are equally valid and the average citizen is just as equipped to judge which have merit as well as anyone else.

“Hear all sides and judge for yourself!!!!”

No. I do not condone the death of expertise and neither should you.

I am an expert in very few things. But in those areas my expertise is hard earned through study, work, experience, research and aptitude.

None of it comes from attending Google University or Facebook College.

But unless you are an expert in exactly the same areas your opinion is simply not just as valid as mine. It’s just not.

And my opinion is not as valid as experts in other fields. That is why “they” and not “I” are the experts.

If our leading experts agree that A is correct and a couple of discredited Doctors, or a self-appointed YouTube/Facebook expert makes a video that says B is correct, our response shouldn’t be “I’ll listen to both sides and decide what makes sense to me”.

1) If you yourself aren’t an expert, what qualifies you to determine which is correct?

2)Confirmation bias exists. (And only fools think they are free of it)

To paraphrase Asimov, “your ignorance is not the same as their experience”.

E"

The South

E

"

Hypothetical question;

If you wanted to design a new face mask, would you seek out the work of Wu Lien-teh or Dr Colin Axiom?

E

By *dysseusukMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

E

Hypothetical question;

If you wanted to design a new face mask, would you seek out the work of Wu Lien-teh or Dr Colin Axiom?

E"

Both

Lancashire

E

Hypothetical question;

E"

Why would I want to design a new face mask when they have virtually no positive effect against this virus?

In answer to your hypothetical question if I was in the process of designing anything I’d want the best knowledge and technology of the day…not that of 100 years ago

The South

E

Hypothetical question;

E

Both"

Why would you seek advice on mask design from a Senior Lecturer in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering?

That's like asking for advice on a heart transplant from a market gardener.

E

I can only see the benefits by wearing one, even if it’s only helping slightly I want to do my bit and maybe they don’t work at all but it makes me feel better when Im wearing one in public places and see others doing the same, when we it’s not mandatory anymore and people decide not to that’s completely up to them I won’t be bad mouthing them or feeling offended it’s going to be an individual choice.

The South

E

Hypothetical question;

E

Why would I want to design a new face mask when they have virtually no positive effect against this virus?

In answer to your hypothetical question if I was in the process of designing anything I’d want the best knowledge and technology of the day…not that of 100 years ago "

The best knowledge and technology from experts in their field obviously.

E

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

I don't think I'll ever understand the opposition to what is,at worst a trifling inconvenience, for most people.

The South

"I don't think I'll ever understand the opposition to what is,at worst a trifling inconvenience, for most people."

Put this day in the diary.

I'm officially agreeing with Lionel.

E

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I don't think I'll ever understand the opposition to what is,at worst a trifling inconvenience, for most people.

Put this day in the diary.

I'm officially agreeing with Lionel.

E"

Chelmsford

E

Not does quoting experts like Dr Colin Axiom who isn't an expert in virology, he's an engineer.

Virus advice? No thanks.

E

Even a mask needs to be designed and engineered. Engineers of physical built environments are at the frontline of infection control working with virologists, public health, clinicians and other disciplines on infection control measures such as ventilation. Complex challenges like COVID need interdisciplinary solutions. We don't just rely on the expertise of one professional discipline to deal with the crisis. So engineers absolutely have something to offer even on masks. https://www.raeng.org.uk/policy/engineering-response-covid-19-coronavirus/engineering-advice

But perhaps a virologist is more qualified to say what the impact would be? Wearing Masks reduces transmission. Nobody ever said it increased it, so why argue about it?

I support mask wearing. I'd no hardship, doesn't restrict our lives or the economy and in this crisis as the 'isolating' issue is proving, could allow more, not fewer freedoms. The point about virologists and engineers is that you need both, the virologists to explain the science of transmission, and the engineers to design the environmental of physical response to mitigate the transmission, be it through a mask or through ventilation in a building. Experts don't work in isolation, they all work in collaboration and they all learn from one another. Humans are not atoms or silos and problems cannot be solved by one person or expert alone."

I wish we didn't have to argue about it. It's common sense, but we are because this government decided that dropping masks was a symbol of freedom, when in fact they can protect our freedoms in pandemic.

The South

E

Virus advice? No thanks.

E

Even a mask needs to be designed and engineered. Engineers of physical built environments are at the frontline of infection control working with virologists, public health, clinicians and other disciplines on infection control measures such as ventilation. Complex challenges like COVID need interdisciplinary solutions. We don't just rely on the expertise of one professional discipline to deal with the crisis. So engineers absolutely have something to offer even on masks. https://www.raeng.org.uk/policy/engineering-response-covid-19-coronavirus/engineering-advice

But perhaps a virologist is more qualified to say what the impact would be? Wearing Masks reduces transmission. Nobody ever said it increased it, so why argue about it?

I support mask wearing. I'd no hardship, doesn't restrict our lives or the economy and in this crisis as the 'isolating' issue is proving, could allow more, not fewer freedoms. The point about virologists and engineers is that you need both, the virologists to explain the science of transmission, and the engineers to design the environmental of physical response to mitigate the transmission, be it through a mask or through ventilation in a building. Experts don't work in isolation, they all work in collaboration and they all learn from one another. Humans are not atoms or silos and problems cannot be solved by one person or expert alone."

May I be a little pedantic, you said "engineers to design" I get the gist of what you said.

Engineers build, design engineers design.

Pedant font turned off now.

E

Chelmsford

E

Virus advice? No thanks.

E

I support mask wearing. I'd no hardship, doesn't restrict our lives or the economy and in this crisis as the 'isolating' issue is proving, could allow more, not fewer freedoms. The point about virologists and engineers is that you need both, the virologists to explain the science of transmission, and the engineers to design the environmental of physical response to mitigate the transmission, be it through a mask or through ventilation in a building. Experts don't work in isolation, they all work in collaboration and they all learn from one another. Humans are not atoms or silos and problems cannot be solved by one person or expert alone.

May I be a little pedantic, you said "engineers to design" I get the gist of what you said.

E"

At the risk of being even more pedantic, you're also applying silo thinking to the word engineering - most definitions of engineering will refer to 'design and build' - Engineering is a scientific field and job that involves taking our scientific understanding of the natural world and using it to invent, design, and build things to solve problems and achieve practical goals.

Look how well the masks worked over the winter on other viruses. Combined with other restrictions and advice designed to stop covid.. flu was pretty much unheard of.

Ill fitted or incorrectly worn masks or masks you can blow a candle out via are not much use except they may catch droplets if the wearer sneezes etc.

I'd dread to think how bad it would have been without the assistance of such measures

Chelmsford

E

Hypothetical question;

E

In answer to your hypothetical question if I was in the process of designing anything I’d want the best knowledge and technology of the day…not that of 100 years ago "

IHME data which is global suggests that if 95% of people wear masks in public, transmission is reduce by 30%, which is huge. These graphs show the potential impact of different restrictions inc. mask wearing over the next few months - easy to see the impact of masks - https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend

I dnt know if masks work. But for me I will continue to wear when its necessary. For a sufferer of severe coughs colds and bronchitis I have not had a single ailment since wearing them so its an individual choice . Wear it or not wear it. Your choice

"Tbh, especially in hot weather, masks are an annoyance, a very minor annoyance however, especially when considering the benefits to wearing them.

Uber are still insisting customers and drivers wear masks, I suspect many other businesses will do the same. I, for one, will fully support them and wear a mask. "

They are strongly advising it.

I had an email from them yesterday saying the driver can choose to cancel your booking if you do not want to wear a face covering and likewise if your driver does not want to wear a face covering you can cancel yours.

It's very different wording to the e-mails I received through lock down which was simply no mask no ride.

By *rufinWoman  over a year ago

notts

Just fork out and buy a decent medical grade mask if you don't want to catch stuff, including covid

ffp3 masks work.

The evidence that the typical mask bought and worn by the public works is, let's call it 'weak' at best

Stop being lazy and relying on other people when there is a perfectly good solution but it just costs a bit more

"I don't think I'll ever understand the opposition to what is,at worst a trifling inconvenience, for most people."

I think the answer to that is actually quite.

People are scared even if they won't admit and constantly seeing a reminder of that fear is too much for some people.

Of course there are people that see it a sign of control or suppression but again its fear.

"Just fork out and buy a decent medical grade mask if you don't want to catch stuff, including covid

ffp3 masks work.

The evidence that the typical mask bought and worn by the public works is, let's call it 'weak' at best

Stop being lazy and relying on other people when there is a perfectly good solution but it just costs a bit more"

It costs a lot because if you are going to have a medical grade mask you would need several to use in the same day If they are going to be as effective as they are in the medical environment.

All so its not just a minor expense and many cannot afford it so we really isn't that simple plus if everybody wanted to buy a supply of medical grade mosques there wouldnt be enough to go round so it's really not that simple.

"Just fork out and buy a decent medical grade mask if you don't want to catch stuff, including covid

ffp3 masks work.

Stop being lazy and relying on other people when there is a perfectly good solution but it just costs a bit more

It costs a lot because if you are going to have a medical grade mask you would need several to use in the same day If they are going to be as effective as they are in the medical environment.

All so its not just a minor expense and many cannot afford it so we really isn't that simple plus if everybody wanted to buy a supply of medical grade mosques there wouldnt be enough to go round so it's really not that simple. "

A lot of typos but you get the gist

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

"I dnt know if masks work. But for me I will continue to wear when its necessary. For a sufferer of severe coughs colds and bronchitis I have not had a single ailment since wearing them so its an individual choice . Wear it or not wear it. Your choice "

Whether the public like it or not the government have shifted the responsibility for safety in the work environment to the business owner.

So logically most owners are going to err on the side of caution for fear or future litigation.

It’s a complete abdication of duties as a government during a pandemic to pass the buck to the public and private businesses.

Masks do help to reduce the risk of catching Covid but are not the complete answer- however when cases are high they are by far the easiest non pharmacological intervention.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

E

Virus advice? No thanks.

E

Possibly I'm being a little pedantic here (just call me polly pedant) but there are many different fields of engineering. Someone being an "engineer" does not give them carte blanche to claim expertise in everything that has a remote "engineering" connection. Dr Axom undoubtedly has expertise in turbulent air flow across aerodynamic surfaces and thermal environments inside jet engines, and I'm sure that there are basic principles that are transferable to seemingly very different fields.

Funnily enough though we tend not to consult bra designers (yes these days it is an engineering discipline, think about cantilevers, fabric science, elasticity, god knows what else) on the topic of rocket engine design... Dr Axom's skill set probably allows him a claim to the status of "informed amateur" about the physics of personal protective equipment, but this does not give his opinions weight above those of genuine experts in the field.

The South

E

Virus advice? No thanks.

E

I support mask wearing. I'd no hardship, doesn't restrict our lives or the economy and in this crisis as the 'isolating' issue is proving, could allow more, not fewer freedoms. The point about virologists and engineers is that you need both, the virologists to explain the science of transmission, and the engineers to design the environmental of physical response to mitigate the transmission, be it through a mask or through ventilation in a building. Experts don't work in isolation, they all work in collaboration and they all learn from one another. Humans are not atoms or silos and problems cannot be solved by one person or expert alone.

E

At the risk of being even more pedantic, you're also applying silo thinking to the word engineering - most definitions of engineering will refer to 'design and build' - Engineering is a scientific field and job that involves taking our scientific understanding of the natural world and using it to invent, design, and build things to solve problems and achieve practical goals. "

I'm ok with occassionaly pedantry.

As you say, the engineer may well have input into the design.

However that will be on the practicalities of build, not necessarily to the scientific design.

When people don't have my qualifications or experience in my field have told me how to do my job, I've often handed them my tools and told them to crack on.

E

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Anyone looked at Dr Axons skill set, and what he is contributing to SAGE?

notts

He advises on ventilation I think ...which is turning out to be one of the most important aspects of reducing viral spread

not cloth face coverings

Unsurprisingly, I would say, but I'm not an expert so what would I know

On the subject of buying a decent mask though - if you care enough, fork out. Life doesn't give you everything for free and you can't expect other people to spend their own money keeping you safe. There are plenty of ffp3 masks now (originally of course, their effectiveness was downplayed to the masses as we didn't have enough) and factories can make more - we've had 18 months to ramp up production after all. If you think a cloth face covering, or a 'surgical' mask from home bargains works just as well, ask yourself how come they don't wear them on the covid wards.

E

Virus advice? No thanks.

E

Possibly I'm being a little pedantic here (just call me polly pedant) but there are many different fields of engineering. Someone being an "engineer" does not give them carte blanche to claim expertise in everything that has a remote "engineering" connection. Dr Axom undoubtedly has expertise in turbulent air flow across aerodynamic surfaces and thermal environments inside jet engines, and I'm sure that there are basic principles that are transferable to seemingly very different fields.

Funnily enough though we tend not to consult bra designers (yes these days it is an engineering discipline, think about cantilevers, fabric science, elasticity, god knows what else) on the topic of rocket engine design... Dr Axom's skill set probably allows him a claim to the status of "informed amateur" about the physics of personal protective equipment, but this does not give his opinions weight above those of genuine experts in the field."

I hate to be pedantic but if sage value his advice, which they appear to do, isn’t it ironic that random people on a swinging site appear to question his relevance.

here

"He advises on ventilation I think ...which is turning out to be one of the most important aspects of reducing viral spread "

Yes

It is interesting reading the full interview, putting the cloth covering comment in context.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

E"

Surgeons wear a much higher grade mask that is fitted for their face. They don't continually adjust them as you see people do all the time. I have never been convinced of the efficacy of masks.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

I too wondered who Dr Colin Axon was.

A quick Google Search was enough to reveal in seconds that he is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, and the Institute of Energy Futures Brunel University).

His own Linked In says :

"My research is about the use of energy in the urban environment and the limits to natural resources. My main areas of interest are in energy security, sustainability, transport, electricity networks, and resource efficiency. I use techniques and methods including the application of robust methods for metrics and indicators, and data mining and analytics. I have published more than 130 reviewed articles and technical reports."

Not a whiff of any medical training or specialist virology experience.

I closed Google at that point, and the Telegraph article that he was quoted in saying face masks are little more than "comfort blankets".

To be fair, he was quoted out of context and said "some cloth masks have gaps which are invisible to the naked eye, but are 500,000 times the size of viral Covid particles."

Basically, he probably gave a well-meaning interview but got taken out of context.

He should have said "This is not my field of expertise, so I cannot possibly comment".

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

E

Lazy tropes from either side of the argument really don’t help "

To be fair, in general surgery the masks aren't that much different.

Maybe worn better.

Being over an open wound for 2 hours makes it slightly different from passing someone in Tesco's and knowing that infection is one of the biggest problems still encountered post surgery.

But, is a mask the great saviour stopping transmission, no.

It's one of the many tools helping.

Even if it helps one person, that's one family not struck down by this terrible virus.

Are people aware that sage doesn’t just consist of medical advisers. Going off some of the comments on here it seems not.

Colchester

Back in March last year when this all kicked off, I was glad we had 2 x N95 masks.

I spent an evening reading the spec sheets and searching on Google for the size of the Covid particles and realised we were all good.

Science info is out there if you're willing to spend time and effort looking for it and learning about it.

My sister prefers to watch Love Island and cannot be bothered with all the "sciency geeky stuff". I even dumbed down the info for her, but nope. Still too "sciency".

Guess which one of us caught covid and which one didn't (yet) ?

"Back in March last year when this all kicked off, I was glad we had 2 x N95 masks.

I spent an evening reading the spec sheets and searching on Google for the size of the Covid particles and realised we were all good.

Science info is out there if you're willing to spend time and effort looking for it and learning about it.

My sister prefers to watch Love Island and cannot be bothered with all the "sciency geeky stuff". I even dumbed down the info for her, but nope. Still too "sciency".

Guess which one of us caught covid and which one didn't (yet) ?"

It seems Chris Whitty wasn’t as up on is sciency stuff either. He caught Covid. Maybe he spent his time watching love island.

merseyside

"Back in March last year when this all kicked off, I was glad we had 2 x N95 masks.

It seems Chris Whitty wasn’t as up on is sciency stuff either. He caught Covid. Maybe he spent his time watching love island."

He was on Love Island.

Didn't you see him dancing and gyrating in a used Peter Stringfellow thong.

Outrageous behaviour for a man of science.

Masks make absolutely no difference. My opinion-right or wrong. I think its just part of the fear shite going on and part of the control

merseyside

"Masks make absolutely no difference. My opinion-right or wrong. I think its just part of the fear shite going on and part of the control"

Ok, thanks for your input.

Manchester (she/her)

Covering my face with a well fitting, densely weaved covering with multiple layers of fabric is something I can control, to reduce my risk to others when I must go out. And so I do.

Ventilation and to a lesser extent distancing are outside my control.

notts

"I too wondered who Dr Colin Axon was.

A quick Google Search was enough to reveal in seconds that he is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, and the Institute of Energy Futures Brunel University).

His own Linked In says :

"My research is about the use of energy in the urban environment and the limits to natural resources. My main areas of interest are in energy security, sustainability, transport, electricity networks, and resource efficiency. I use techniques and methods including the application of robust methods for metrics and indicators, and data mining and analytics. I have published more than 130 reviewed articles and technical reports."

Not a whiff of any medical training or specialist virology experience.

I closed Google at that point, and the Telegraph article that he was quoted in saying face masks are little more than "comfort blankets".

To be fair, he was quoted out of context and said "some cloth masks have gaps which are invisible to the naked eye, but are 500,000 times the size of viral Covid particles."

Basically, he probably gave a well-meaning interview but got taken out of context.

He should have said "This is not my field of expertise, so I cannot possibly comment"."

Yes, he forgot to toe the party line.

I doubt there is anyone on Sage who believes cloth masks do anything

Surgical face masks as worn in surgery are not worn to stop the surgeon passing on covid or flu btw, nor do they do that. They are worn for a number of reasons including tradition, and because it worries the patient if people aren't wearing them. There was talk of stopping it as a practice (to save nhs funds) a few years before covid

It seems Chris Whitty wasn’t as up on is sciency stuff either. He caught Covid. Maybe he spent his time watching love island.

He was on Love Island.

Didn't you see him dancing and gyrating in a used Peter Stringfellow thong.

Outrageous behaviour for a man of science.

"

Now you’ve brought back the picture of Peter Stringfellow in his thong.

Will this madness never end

here

Worth remembering that type 1, 2 and 2R surgical masks are tested to EN14683 in the direction of exhalation. This gives an indication for purpose of this type of mask

The South

"Are people aware that sage doesn’t just consist of medical advisers. Going off some of the comments on here it seems not."

I posted the names and fields of expertise of the current SAGE members a few days ago.

I believe the members can change dependant on circumstances.

E

Falkirk

E"

You are confusing yourself.

Mechanical devices do not need moving parts.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I think for me it’s a case of where and when I won’t wear a mask….

For the majority of time I am just going to keep wearing it in most indoor spaces.. the only place I won’t is at a swinger club… and at a pub if not busy…

I think because my local club has a nice open outdoor space, I may hang out there rather than as much time inside

"I think for me it’s a case of where and when I won’t wear a mask….

For the majority of time I am just going to keep wearing it in most indoor spaces.. the only place I won’t is at a swinger club… and at a pub if not busy…

I think because my local club has a nice open outdoor space, I may hang out there rather than as much time inside "

I’ll continue wearing my mask in shops and on the train. I don’t see the point in pubs with the crazy system of taking it off when I’m sat down. If it’s that busy I won’t be going in.

liverpool

Is it just me or what exactly was the point of saying people dont need to wear masks, when a lot of places (shops,public transport)are saying they want people to still wear them?

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Is it just me or what exactly was the point of saying people dont need to wear masks, when a lot of places (shops,public transport)are saying they want people to still wear them?"
yes i think its just you,its really not hard to understand.

Dudley

"Is it just me or what exactly was the point of saying people dont need to wear masks, when a lot of places (shops,public transport)are saying they want people to still wear them?"

The point was that people should take abit of responsibility and act in a sensible way, we have to start making some steps to get back to partial normality.

Do you really need a law to tell you to use your common sense?

The South

E

"

Collins English dictionary definition;

ADJECTIVE

A mechanical device has parts that move when it is working, often using power from an engine or from electricity. 

No need to thank me.

E

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

E

ADJECTIVE

A mechanical device has parts that move when it is working, often using power from an engine or from electricity. 

No need to thank me.

E

"

liverpool

"Is it just me or what exactly was the point of saying people dont need to wear masks, when a lot of places (shops,public transport)are saying they want people to still wear them?

The point was that people should take abit of responsibility and act in a sensible way, we have to start making some steps to get back to partial normality.

Do you really need a law to tell you to use your common sense?"

That doesnt really answer my question

They have said you dont need to wear masks anymore..bot the shops have said you do.

So what exactly was the point?

near ipswich

"Is it just me or what exactly was the point of saying people dont need to wear masks, when a lot of places (shops,public transport)are saying they want people to still wear them?

They have said you dont need to wear masks anymore..bot the shops have said you do.

So what exactly was the point?"

Its really not that hard its not mandatory anymore but pub, clubs, transport and shops can set their own rules, some will some wont freedom of choice just like we had before covid.

I’m not convinced to stop wearing my mask. Just look at what’s happened to the prime minister and chancellor to prove a point.

Dudley

Allowing more places to open that can choose their own safety measures.

The South

E

ADJECTIVE

No need to thank me.

E

"

I expect I'm confusing myself because I'm a woman.

I'll get back to the sink.

Sorry men. I forgot my place for a minute there.

E

near ipswich

"I’m not convinced to stop wearing my mask. Just look at what’s happened to the prime minister and chancellor to prove a point."
Exactly so keep wearing it, i will be in shops.

liverpool

Allowing more places to open that can choose their own safety measures. "

What places were closed before this announcement?

Dudley

Allowing more places to open that can choose their own safety measures.

What places were closed before this announcement?"

Some pubs, clubs, other places of business.

E"

The royal society of medicine says this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4480558/

Falkirk

E

ADJECTIVE

No need to thank me.

E

"

Lol and still wrong.

An orifice plate is a mechanical device which controls the amount of fluid passing through it. No moving parts.

Bit like a mask

And I don't think you should get back to the kitchen, as it's derogatory to all the female engineers I work with.

The South

[Removed by poster at 18/07/21 20:31:36]

The South

E

ADJECTIVE

No need to thank me.

E

Lol and still wrong.

An orifice plate is a mechanical device which controls the amount of fluid passing through it. No moving parts.

Bit like a mask

And I don't think you should get back to the kitchen, as it's derogatory to all the female engineers I work with.

"

You're saying the Collins English Dictionary is wrong? Interesting.

Now I'm intrigued, how does the orifice plate control the flow without moving?

E

Falkirk

"[Removed by poster at 18/07/21 20:31:36]"

The orifice still allows fluid movement. It just reduces the flow however increases the pressure.

The South

"[Removed by poster at 18/07/21 20:31:36]

The orifice still allows fluid movement. It just reduces the flow however increases the pressure.

"

Is it set in place?

More like a reducer?

E

By *arklong88Man  over a year ago

portslade

As everyone wants peer reviewed trials on everything where's the proof that masks are this effective against viruses.

I would have thought ventilation in buildings and cars much more important-another study to do perhaps!

Falkirk

E

ADJECTIVE

No need to thank me.

E

Lol and still wrong.

Bit like a mask

You're saying the Collins English Dictionary is wrong? Interesting.

Now I'm intrigued, how does the orifice plate control the flow without moving?

E"

OK will maybe try and explain it better.

If you take a deep breath, hold it in then open your mouth wide and breath out. The air in your lungs evacuates very quickly. If you had a piece of paper about 30cm in front of you it probably wouldn't move.

Do the same again but put a straw in your mouth. It takes longer for the air to evacuate your lungs as the straw is causing a restriction to flow. However at the other end of the straw the now compressed air is escaping and rapidly expanding. The paper in front of you is now easy to move.

The straw in now a mechanical restriction.

here

"

Would a Tesla valve qualify ?

Falkirk

Is it set in place?

More like a reducer?

E"

Exactly a mechanical device which converts a fluid or solid.

Falkirk

The orifice still allows fluid movement. It just reduces the flow however increases the

Would a Tesla valve qualify ?"

Perfect example of fluid flow.

You tube has a few videos of visible tesla valves

The guy was a genius. Well ahead of his time.

The South

Is it set in place?

More like a reducer?

E

Exactly a mechanical device which converts a fluid or solid. "

I asked M, he showed me one. Handy having an M and E engineer a stone's message away.

I can see why it's classed as a mechanical device. It just doesn't fit the dictionary definition.

Thanks.

E

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"Some people question whether wearing a mask makes a difference:

He said:

Hopefully this will help people to recognise the impact of their decisions - Masks work for all of us."

Dose it also mean if you do catch it the viroal load will be half or less giving you body more of a chance to fight it off so you dont become so I'll.

Would like to know as to me it's like a cut half as deep it still hurts but would heal quicker.

Don't see me stoking as was wearing one befor we had to in shops.

Falkirk

Is it set in place?

More like a reducer?

E

Exactly a mechanical device which converts a fluid or solid.

I asked M, he showed me one. Handy having an M and E engineer a stone's message away.

I can see why it's classed as a mechanical device. It just doesn't fit the dictionary definition.

Thanks.

E"

Hastings

The shop said you should pay for your shopping but not all do..

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

NHS Non front line are wearing exactly the same masks sold in BM.

Front line get FFP3 with filter units but everywhere else is is cheapest option.

Why people take issues wearing them is beyond me, selfish and sad.

Just wear the damn things..

Lockdown 4 = 5 weeks away because that tit in London making his own rules could not organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone lead the country.

Any face covering helps, not 100% but even hand sewn has evidence to show they help.

Enjoy the next 5 weeks, it will be the last "freedom" until after Christmas, oh, another f**k up.. the week before as per re-run of last year's 'I promise you Christmas". Well, many are not seeing this Christmas due to that arrogance and idiotic policy.

Kids back to School for one day in September, put money on it..

Hastings

"NHS Non front line are wearing exactly the same masks sold in BM.

Front line get FFP3 with filter units but everywhere else is is cheapest option.

Why people take issues wearing them is beyond me, selfish and sad.

Just wear the damn things..

Lockdown 4 = 5 weeks away because that tit in London making his own rules could not organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone lead the country.

Any face covering helps, not 100% but even hand sewn has evidence to show they help.

Enjoy the next 5 weeks, it will be the last "freedom" until after Christmas, oh, another f**k up.. the week before as per re-run of last year's 'I promise you Christmas". Well, many are not seeing this Christmas due to that arrogance and idiotic policy.

Kids back to School for one day in September, put money on it.."

Sorry I have to strongly disagree with you calling the PM a tit.

It's not fear on tits. I like tits but the PM I don't know but how would you want.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Do you really need a law to tell you to use your common sense?"

I would like to think most will.. but I think there are a whole bunch of people that are so stubborn that they won’t dispite pleading

If there are that many people out there that won’t get vaccinated, I am of the belief they are likely to be the same people who won’t mask…

Dudley

I would like to think most will.. but I think there are a whole bunch of people that are so stubborn that they won’t dispite pleading

If there are that many people out there that won’t get vaccinated, I am of the belief they are likely to be the same people who won’t mask…

"

Oh I know, you only have to look around the forums to see that, they will be the same ones that start bitching about their rights when they cause us to go back into lockdown.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Oh I know, you only have to look around the forums to see that, they will be the same ones that start bitching about their rights when they cause us to go back into lockdown. "

Maybe all the talk and uncertainty about whether there is going to be another lockdown will actually contribute greatly to the spike in cases that triggers one?

The more people are threatened with Lockdown the more likely they are to go out to places like nightclubs, bars etc in order to maximise their freedoms to do so before it is taken away again.

liverpool

I think its fairly much nailed on there is going to be another spike.

Masks are gone in about 1 and half hours for nearly all of England other than a few people of fab who plan on continuing to wear them for ever just incase that catch the lurgy.

in Lancashire

"Masks are gone in about 1 and half hours for nearly all of England other than a few people of fab who plan on continuing to wear them for ever just incase that catch the lurgy. "

That's nonsense..

Unless you've missed the news this last week many sectors including transport, retail and hospitality etc have said they will make it a requirement to wear them..

Am not going to speculate on who will or won't be using them in the general population but I would suggest it won't just be a 'few'..

This is not about one forum on one site..

Dudley

Oh I know, you only have to look around the forums to see that, they will be the same ones that start bitching about their rights when they cause us to go back into lockdown.

Maybe all the talk and uncertainty about whether there is going to be another lockdown will actually contribute greatly to the spike in cases that triggers one?

The more people are threatened with Lockdown the more likely they are to go out to places like nightclubs, bars etc in order to maximise their freedoms to do so before it is taken away again."

I'm talking about the idiots that will take 0 precautions and just act like everything is normal.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Masks are gone in about 1 and half hours for nearly all of England other than a few people of fab who plan on continuing to wear them for ever just incase that catch the lurgy. "

And because of this, masks, lockdowns, travel restrictions, overflowing hospitals and bodies piling up in freezer trucks will be back in a few weeks - end of august, maybe mid september. Yet more trillions of pounds to be spent on digging out of the hole we should never have been in. Many more people will develop long term disabilities, a growing proportion of them being children.

Yes, yes, yes, someone is going to tell me "that won't happen, look at all the vaccinations"...

To which I reply "So we've given partial protection to part of the population? Just means that instead of it being one hell of a shitload of people dying, it's only going to be part of a shitload of people dying."

Well I'm going to do my best to not be one of the part of a shitload of dead people, if you want to take my place on the body pile go right ahead...

NW London

The more people are threatened with Lockdown the more likely they are to go out to places like nightclubs, bars etc in order to maximise their freedoms to do so before it is taken away again.

I'm talking about the idiots that will take 0 precautions and just act like everything is normal. "

Which is why I'm surprised the govt going from 0-100 so quickly in terms of releasing restrictions.

I would of thought it more logical to of begun gradually easing restrictions sooner but over a much longer period of time?

The only explanations I can think of are that they feel we have achieved enough vaccinations to make "herd immunity" via infection rates a possibility or they want to pre-empt the demand for NHS by having people contract covid before the winter spike.

Either way it seems like the toll on the economy is starting to bite and mothballing the economy is no longer viable.

Dudley

I'm talking about the idiots that will take 0 precautions and just act like everything is normal.

Which is why I'm surprised the govt going from 0-100 so quickly in terms of releasing restrictions.

I would of thought it more logical to of begun gradually easing restrictions sooner but over a much longer period of time?

The only explanations I can think of are that they feel we have achieved enough vaccinations to make "herd immunity" via infection rates a possibility or they want to pre-empt the demand for NHS by having people contract covid before the winter spike.

Either way it seems like the toll on the economy is starting to bite and mothballing the economy is no longer viable."

It has been gradual, this is the last step, people need to accept that just because the legal requirement is gone, doesn't mean they have to act like twats.

I don't think it's that to be honest. I think it's the fact that people don't like being told what to do amd how to live their life regardless. People need to man up and grow a pair etc. It's different however for those that can't wear one on medical grounds.

to be fair I dont know anyone personally that's ditching the mask wearing completely tomorrow.

The South

"Masks are gone in about 1 and half hours for nearly all of England other than a few people of fab who plan on continuing to wear them for ever just incase that catch the lurgy. to be fair I dont know anyone personally that's ditching the mask wearing completely tomorrow. "

We'll still be wearing ours and for a good while yet.

E

"

Colin Axon isn't a medical doctor, he's an engineer.

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"

Colin Axon isn't a medical doctor, he's an engineer. "

So you missed the hundred posts above discussing this ?

NW London

Either way it seems like the toll on the economy is starting to bite and mothballing the economy is no longer viable.

It has been gradual, this is the last step, people need to accept that just because the legal requirement is gone, doesn't mean they have to act like twats. "

Just seems to be a very big final step, from nightclubs being closed to going back to full capacity on the stroke of midnight.

I ge the impression that there's been a bit of a rift between scientists maybe being too cautious (over the last 14 months) and the politicians wanting to push things along for the sake of economy.

By *our HeroMan  over a year ago

south Oxfordshire

It has been gradual, this is the last step, people need to accept that just because the legal requirement is gone, doesn't mean they have to act like twats.

Just seems to be a very big final step, from nightclubs being closed to going back to full capacity on the stroke of midnight.

I ge the impression that there's been a bit of a rift between scientists maybe being too cautious (over the last 14 months) and the politicians wanting to push things along for the sake of economy."

It’s a balance isn’t it? Everything has to be a balance. We can’t be reckless but we also can’t keep the world shut down and live in fear for the rest of our lives. Many “experts” will push whichever narrative or say whatever they’re asked/told if they’re paid enough- fact!

We’ll build immunity and we’ll adapt to live with it, but we must remain free to make our own choices. Mask or no mask. Vaccination or no vaccination. It should be everyone’s own choice and nobody should be lambasted, pressured or discriminated against either way.

I ge the impression that there's been a bit of a rift between scientists maybe being too cautious (over the last 14 months) and the politicians wanting to push things along for the sake of economy.

It’s a balance isn’t it? Everything has to be a balance. We can’t be reckless but we also can’t keep the world shut down and live in fear for the rest of our lives. Many “experts” will push whichever narrative or say whatever they’re asked/told if they’re paid enough- fact!

We’ll build immunity and we’ll adapt to live with it, but we must remain free to make our own choices. Mask or no mask. Vaccination or no vaccination. It should be everyone’s own choice and nobody should be lambasted, pressured or discriminated against either way."

I understand and appreciate what you’re saying but the difference will always be that if I choose to wear a mask I protect you, if you choose not to then it can negatively affect me.

By *our HeroMan  over a year ago

south Oxfordshire

We’ll build immunity and we’ll adapt to live with it, but we must remain free to make our own choices. Mask or no mask. Vaccination or no vaccination. It should be everyone’s own choice and nobody should be lambasted, pressured or discriminated against either way.

I understand and appreciate what you’re saying but the difference will always be that if I choose to wear a mask I protect you, if you choose not to then it can negatively affect me. "

I’m sure most decent people will remain respectful of others. Personally, I’ll continue to wear a mask in certain situations where I’m in close proximity of strangers (although it’s does seem rather strange when most of us will happily sit in a packed restaurant without one!).

Each individual has and should be free to decide how they protect themselves. If one chooses to live in fear of others then they’re free to hide away at home a never go out.

Personally the social and economic damage that’s been caused upsets me as much as the physical damage, and I’ve lost a loved one to COVID. It’s time to carefully and respectfully get on with life now. We’ll all adapt and we’ll all cope.

Dudley

"

I ge the impression that there's been a bit of a rift between scientists maybe being too cautious (over the last 14 months) and the politicians wanting to push things along for the sake of economy."

I think this step was required to keep these places in business, many couldn't cope financially if they had to stay closed for another 6 months or so. Unfortunately there are still some people that will ditch all precautions and cause another lockdown, complain about their rights and blame everyone else. If people would take abit of responsibility, think logically and stop being offended by every little thing, we would be in a much better position now.

liverpool

The blame for the next possible lockdown already on people,the vast majority of whom have obeyed the rules all the way through,how surprising.

I'm not even sure of the point of a gmnt, as they have no responsibility at all.

Dudley

"The blame for the next possible lockdown already on people,the vast majority of whom have obeyed the rules all the way through,how surprising.

I'm not even sure of the point of a gmnt, as they have no responsibility at all."

The population are spreading it, unless you think the government are going round coughing on people? The government have made mistakes but community transmission is exactly that, in the community.

NW London

"

I think this step was required to keep these places in business, many couldn't cope financially if they had to stay closed for another 6 months or so. Unfortunately there are still some people that will ditch all precautions and cause another lockdown, complain about their rights and blame everyone else. If people would take abit of responsibility, think logically and stop being offended by every little thing, we would be in a much better position now. "

Very true, I'm pleased for club owners and other businesses. It must be a massive relief to finally be able to reopen.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that people don't throw sense out of the window and give anybody any excuse to start throwing the dreaded L word about!

Manchester (she/her)

"The blame for the next possible lockdown already on people,the vast majority of whom have obeyed the rules all the way through,how surprising.

I'm not even sure of the point of a gmnt, as they have no responsibility at all.

The population are spreading it, unless you think the government are going round coughing on people? The government have made mistakes but community transmission is exactly that, in the community. "

But isn't it the government who set standards and requirements, communicate important matters?

It isn't either/or. I have responsibility and take responsibility, but the government also have a role to play, which I think they've entirely abdicated.

liverpool

The population are spreading it, unless you think the government are going round coughing on people? The government have made mistakes but community transmission is exactly that, in the community.

But isn't it the government who set standards and requirements, communicate important matters?

It isn't either/or. I have responsibility and take responsibility, but the government also have a role to play, which I think they've entirely abdicated."

Tbf they have took full responsibility/credit for the vaccine roll out.

Manchester (she/her)

It isn't either/or. I have responsibility and take responsibility, but the government also have a role to play, which I think they've entirely abdicated.

Tbf they have took full responsibility/credit for the vaccine roll out."

... Well, they've taken credit for it

liverpool

Tbf they have took full responsibility/credit for the vaccine roll out.

... Well, they've taken credit for it "

And unsurprisingly the horrific death rate/lack of ppe/nursing home and school scandals..all have ready made excuses.

Dudley

It isn't either/or. I have responsibility and take responsibility, but the government also have a role to play, which I think they've entirely abdicated."

They have set standards and requirements previously and too many people ignored them. As I said, they have made mistakes and some of them have also blatantly ignored the rules, which is ridiculous.

However, I, and many others, including you, do not need to be told not to act like a dick regarding covid, we attempt to do what we can to limit risks to ourselves and those around us. It's far too easy for people to say 'well the government haven't made it law so I'm going to do it, I don't care who else it affects'.

liverpool

They have set standards and requirements previously and too many people ignored them. As I said, they have made mistakes and some of them have also blatantly ignored the rules, which is ridiculous.

However, I, and many others, including you, do not need to be told not to act like a dick regarding covid, we attempt to do what we can to limit risks to ourselves and those around us. It's far too easy for people to say 'well the government haven't made it law so I'm going to do it, I don't care who else it affects'. "

What are you basing that.. too many have ignored them..assessment on?

Manchester (she/her)

However, I, and many others, including you, do not need to be told not to act like a dick regarding covid, we attempt to do what we can to limit risks to ourselves and those around us. It's far too easy for people to say 'well the government haven't made it law so I'm going to do it, I don't care who else it affects'. "

So they get to give up, because people ignore it?

I didn't think their job of governing stopped because people weren't following the rules.

What else should we make "personal responsibility" because some people don't want to obey the rules? School attendance? Road rules? Murder?

liverpool

Tbf thinking about it..lots of people have broke the rules and cant be trusted

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-social-distancing-meeting-coronavirus-lib-dem-a9704716.html%3famp

Dudley

However, I, and many others, including you, do not need to be told not to act like a dick regarding covid, we attempt to do what we can to limit risks to ourselves and those around us. It's far too easy for people to say 'well the government haven't made it law so I'm going to do it, I don't care who else it affects'.

I didn't think their job of governing stopped because people weren't following the rules.

What else should we make "personal responsibility" because some people don't want to obey the rules? School attendance? Road rules? Murder?"

Well, that's taking it to the extreme, they haven't stopped governing.

Personally, I think wearing masks should still be law, I'll still be wearing mine, which is me taking personal responsibility.

I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't need to be told not to be a dick.

Manchester (she/her)

What else should we make "personal responsibility" because some people don't want to obey the rules? School attendance? Road rules? Murder?

Personally, I think wearing masks should still be law, I'll still be wearing mine, which is me taking personal responsibility.

I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't need to be told not to be a dick."

We shouldn't need to be, but clearly we do.

I can take personal responsibility but also believe that there should be clear guidance - and where necessary law - for matters of national importance.

I think "we're taking away the law and throwing away our masks, no wait wearing masks is still sensible please keep wearing masks" is taking the easy way out, and will bite us all hard.

Dudley

I can take personal responsibility but also believe that there should be clear guidance - and where necessary law - for matters of national importance.

I think "we're taking away the law and throwing away our masks, no wait wearing masks is still sensible please keep wearing masks" is taking the easy way out, and will bite us all hard."

Yeah, it's the easy way out and some people clearly do need to be told but I refuse to say that a few people are responsible for the entire pandemic and the spread right now.

Manchester (she/her)

I think "we're taking away the law and throwing away our masks, no wait wearing masks is still sensible please keep wearing masks" is taking the easy way out, and will bite us all hard.

Yeah, it's the easy way out and some people clearly do need to be told but I refuse to say that a few people are responsible for the entire pandemic and the spread right now. "

I don't think they're playing their part, and I think it'll have an outsized effect.

It is in all of our hands... And they've not just dropped their ball, they've broken it.

Been to the shops today... seems no change I mask wearing.

Been to the cinema too and all staff and most visitors are wearing them

Unfortunately the number of non masketers whilst at the supermarket today was quite high. I actually expected a few, the usual cocky ones who think they're immune & healthier than the rest, but I was shocked at the number.

Yet if the virus continues, mutates, spreads & we end up in another lock down or going back to stricter restrictions these people will be the first to look to blame government & others.

But whose in control really?????

Well no-one yet, it's obviously the virus isn't it!

merseyside

E

ADJECTIVE

No need to thank me.

E

"

Don't think many people will.

I understand and appreciate what you’re saying but the difference will always be that if I choose to wear a mask I protect you, if you choose not to then it can negatively affect me.

I’m sure most decent people will remain respectful of others. Personally, I’ll continue to wear a mask in certain situations where I’m in close proximity of strangers (although it’s does seem rather strange when most of us will happily sit in a packed restaurant without one!).

Each individual has and should be free to decide how they protect themselves. If one chooses to live in fear of others then they’re free to hide away at home a never go out.

Personally the social and economic damage that’s been caused upsets me as much as the physical damage, and I’ve lost a loved one to COVID. It’s time to carefully and respectfully get on with life now. We’ll all adapt and we’ll all cope."

Each individual doesn’t have the right to protect themselves though because others choices can and will, impact upon that. People are going to be put into situations that could negatively impact on them because the other person has decided for themselves what is and is not safe. The person working in the pub, restaurant, reception area, supermarket, and many others environments will not get a choice, they will have to go to work and live with the choices of others.

It’s not about not opening up or getting back to some normality, it’s a mask, it’s a simple thing to keep people safer.

We have been in a couple of shops today.

The majority of customers have had face coverings on, however most of the staff have not. It was the same at the two tube stations were went to.

Colchester

"We have been in a couple of shops today.

The majority of customers have had face coverings on, however most of the staff have not. It was the same at the two tube stations were went to. "

That's pretty shocking.

Businesses have a duty of care to their customers and the general public at large.

It speaks volumes about them and how they view their customers. Yuk.

By *arklong88Man  over a year ago

portslade

Sage advisor has just said standard masks are about as usefull as a chocolate teapot.

Any woodworker would agree

The South

"Sage advisor has just said standard masks are about as usefull as a chocolate teapot.

Any woodworker would agree"

Were they the exact words he used?

E

"Sage advisor has just said standard masks are about as usefull as a chocolate teapot.

At our hospital we are not allowed to wear cloth masks or the masks bought in boxes from b&m etc as they are not effective against covid.

Our surgeons are fit tested for a completely different standard of masks and always have been.

The masks provided to us at work are a completely different standard and have to be changed very regularly, not like the public who keep them in for over an hour at a time. We aren’t allowed to touch them with our ungloved fingers either!

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

At our hospital we are not allowed to wear cloth masks or the masks bought in boxes from b&m etc as they are not effective against covid.

Our surgeons are fit tested for a completely different standard of masks and always have been.

The masks provided to us at work are a completely different standard and have to be changed very regularly, not like the public who keep them in for over an hour at a time. We aren’t allowed to touch them with our ungloved fingers either! "

They actually work but unless you change your mask every hour, have approved one then the ones majority stick in there pockets are worthless against Covid

liverpool

The masks provided to us at work are a completely different standard and have to be changed very regularly, not like the public who keep them in for over an hour at a time. We aren’t allowed to touch them with our ungloved fingers either! They actually work but unless you change your mask every hour, have approved one then the ones majority stick in there pockets are worthless against Covid "

Havent you consistently proved to be wrong with this Assertion?

liverpool

Link?

The masks provided to us at work are a completely different standard and have to be changed very regularly, not like the public who keep them in for over an hour at a time. We aren’t allowed to touch them with our ungloved fingers either! They actually work but unless you change your mask every hour, have approved one then the ones majority stick in there pockets are worthless against Covid

Havent you consistently proved to be wrong with this Assertion?"

Me? Me personally? I’m just an nhs minion honey, I don’t make the rules, I just have them enforced upon me.

I wear what I’m told at work. It ain’t me that made these guidelines up, they’ve come directly from nhs England.

Hence why we have to go to laborious fit testing sessions

liverpool

The masks provided to us at work are a completely different standard and have to be changed very regularly, not like the public who keep them in for over an hour at a time. We aren’t allowed to touch them with our ungloved fingers either! They actually work but unless you change your mask every hour, have approved one then the ones majority stick in there pockets are worthless against Covid

Havent you consistently proved to be wrong with this Assertion?

Me? Me personally? I’m just an nhs minion honey, I don’t make the rules, I just have them enforced upon me.

I wear what I’m told at work. It ain’t me that made these guidelines up, they’ve come directly from nhs England.

Hence why we have to go to laborious fit testing sessions "

Nope sorry, it what at the other poster who seems to consistently complain about mask wearing and saying they are worthless.

Manchester (she/her)

I'm happy to leave the medical grade stuff to the front line, who need them much more than I do. I'm doing the best I can in these difficult times, and am happy with my choices.

liverpool

Considering sage have been involved from the start,I think if masks were totally worthless, they may not have left it 18 months before telling us.

Herne Bay

Havent you consistently proved to be wrong with this Assertion?"

Got any actual proof that non approved masks work ?

here

The masks provided to us at work are a completely different standard and have to be changed very regularly, not like the public who keep them in for over an hour at a time. We aren’t allowed to touch them with our ungloved fingers either! They actually work but unless you change your mask every hour, have approved one then the ones majority stick in there pockets are worthless against Covid "

Loads of crap in the supermarkets, they are sitting on loads of it, hence the half-price bargains to shift the stock.

If you want to wear a mask, buy a decent one that does the job it's supposed to do.

in Lancashire

E"

I think the term wood worker can be open to broad interpretation..

As is evident at times on here with some..

Manchester (she/her)

E

As is evident at times on here with some.. "

Lol

liverpool

Havent you consistently proved to be wrong with this Assertion? Got any actual proof that non approved masks work ? "

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/covid-19-what-does-the-science-actually-say-about-face-masks-12349337

The South

Loads of crap in the supermarkets, they are sitting on loads of it, hence the half-price bargains to shift the stock.

If you want to wear a mask, buy a decent one that does the job it's supposed to do."

Alternatively, shops are selling perfectly good stock at a reduced price because there's now a surplus.

Good quality mask at £5, now reduced to 75p doesn't mean a reduction in quality.

E

The South

E

As is evident at times on here with some.. "

There's a "plank" joke in there somewhere.

E

here

If you want to wear a mask, buy a decent one that does the job it's supposed to do.

Alternatively, shops are selling perfectly good stock at a reduced price because there's now a surplus.

Good quality mask at £5, now reduced to 75p doesn't mean a reduction in quality.

E

"

True, if the quality was ok int he first place

The South

E

True, if the quality was ok int he first place "

I think me saying "perfectly good stock" suggests the quality was ok in the first place, yes?

E

in Lancashire

E

E"

Probably..

As well as others..

The South

E

E

Probably..

As well as others.."

Some jokes just aren't worth the cost of the holiday.

E

It’ll be fun to see how the masks go down once the swingers clubs are in full swing (so to speak). As a high risk environment (fluid being swapped between strangers and no social distancing) I’m assuming this is the place where masks will be needed most.

I don’t swap fluids in Asda and can stay at a safe distance. People will adapt I’m sure

Manchester (she/her)

"It’ll be fun to see how the masks go down once the swingers clubs are in full swing (so to speak). As a high risk environment (fluid being swapped between strangers and no social distancing) I’m assuming this is the place where masks will be needed most.

I don’t swap fluids in Asda and can stay at a safe distance. People will adapt I’m sure "

Swinging clubs where you go in with the hope that you'll get up close and personal, and can avoid if you don't?

Unlike supermarkets, where people generally need to go to survive whether they want to swap germs or not?

It's a bit like comparing apples and goats.

"It’ll be fun to see how the masks go down once the swingers clubs are in full swing (so to speak). As a high risk environment (fluid being swapped between strangers and no social distancing) I’m assuming this is the place where masks will be needed most.

I don’t swap fluids in Asda and can stay at a safe distance. People will adapt I’m sure

Swinging clubs where you go in with the hope that you'll get up close and personal, and can avoid if you don't?

Unlike supermarkets, where people generally need to go to survive whether they want to swap germs or not?

It's a bit like comparing apples and goats."

I do my shopping online mostly, or upon opening. Or just before closing (like yesterday for example, about three others in there!).

I don’t go to clubs so it won’t effect me.

But yeah, I’d say most go to clubs with the hope of getting up close and personal. Maybe I’m wrong? Happy to be corrected.

My opinion is that most will go to swinging clubs and cast off there masks when a fuck with a stranger is on the table (literally or not).

Maybe I’m wrong.

Maybe I’ll take a visit and see for myself

Manchester (she/her)

I do my shopping online mostly, or upon opening. Or just before closing (like yesterday for example, about three others in there!).

But yeah, I’d say most go to clubs with the hope of getting up close and personal. Maybe I’m wrong? Happy to be corrected.

My opinion is that most will go to swinging clubs and cast off there masks when a fuck with a stranger is on the table (literally or not).

Maybe I’m wrong.

Maybe I’ll take a visit and see for myself "

Sure they will. Doesn't mean that masks aren't a good idea in other circumstances.

That hot dude clearly consents to swapping fluids with me. That little old lady in Morrisons probably just wants bread, not my germs.

I've been shopping in person and sparing spots for the vulnerable, like we've been asked to all along

Maybe I’m wrong.

Sure they will. Doesn't mean that masks aren't a good idea in other circumstances.

That hot dude clearly consents to swapping fluids with me. That little old lady in Morrisons probably just wants bread, not my germs.

I've been shopping in person and sparing spots for the vulnerable, like we've been asked to all along "

I get that, I honestly do.

Although it may not seem this way, I honestly don’t care what others do. I’m concerned about my own actions and that’s what I can control. I don’t judge those who wear masks or don’t. I don’t judge those who have vaccines or don’t.

What I do find funny is - “I’m won’t go out without a mask, I won’t go here without a mask, you need to wear a mask you selfish idiot, think of others, etc etc etc - can’t wait for tonight’s gangbang, can’t wait to get back into the clubs and fuck strangers in a crowded room infected with strangers sweat and fluid particles”

That’s my point and the only point I’m making.

I really hope everyone does go out and fuck, go and get your lives back! Time isn’t promised and we’ve missed so much. Do it!!! But there is a hypocrisy amongst a section of people (not aimed at you personally) that cannot he ignored!

Peace out

Manchester (she/her)

Maybe I’m wrong.

I've been shopping in person and sparing spots for the vulnerable, like we've been asked to all along

I get that, I honestly do.

Although it may not seem this way, I honestly don’t care what others do. I’m concerned about my own actions and that’s what I can control. I don’t judge those who wear masks or don’t. I don’t judge those who have vaccines or don’t.

What I do find funny is - “I’m won’t go out without a mask, I won’t go here without a mask, you need to wear a mask you selfish idiot, think of others, etc etc etc - can’t wait for tonight’s gangbang, can’t wait to get back into the clubs and fuck strangers in a crowded room infected with strangers sweat and fluid particles”

That’s my point and the only point I’m making.

I really hope everyone does go out and fuck, go and get your lives back! Time isn’t promised and we’ve missed so much. Do it!!! But there is a hypocrisy amongst a section of people (not aimed at you personally) that cannot he ignored!

Peace out "

Different risk mitigation in different circumstances. And consent.

I'm sorry if you see hypocrisy in that, I don't. I see a nuanced view of a difficult situation.

Herne Bay

It’s not the law any more so those who want to wear them carry on and those who don’t it’s our choice now

Manchester (she/her)

"It’s not the law any more so those who want to wear them carry on and those who don’t it’s our choice now "

Sure is.

I'm aiming at the people going after those choosing to wear a mask.

If you have a problem with what I put on my face, don't look.

My mask is my personal responsibility, as Johnson has urged us to take. My personal responsibility is my business.

Herne Bay

"It’s not the law any more so those who want to wear them carry on and those who don’t it’s our choice now

Sure is.

My mask is my personal responsibility, as Johnson has urged us to take. My personal responsibility is my business."

You are right it’s our choice not to wear a mask

Manchester (she/her)

"It’s not the law any more so those who want to wear them carry on and those who don’t it’s our choice now

Sure is.

My mask is my personal responsibility, as Johnson has urged us to take. My personal responsibility is my business. You are right it’s our choice not to wear a mask "

Yup, given the law.

And it's other people's choice to wear a mask, and to stuff it in their pockets, and at this time of personal responsibility not laws, you should respect their choices

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

Sure is.

My mask is my personal responsibility, as Johnson has urged us to take. My personal responsibility is my business. You are right it’s our choice not to wear a mask "

I just like to remember my personal choices affect others

I still have to wear one at work, and will still wear one in busy places, and also if anyone else wants me too (visiting or friends).

No big deal for me.

Herne Bay

Sure is.

My mask is my personal responsibility, as Johnson has urged us to take. My personal responsibility is my business. You are right it’s our choice not to wear a mask

Yup, given the law.

And it's other people's choice to wear a mask, and to stuff it in their pockets, and at this time of personal responsibility not laws, you should respect their choices "

We do if people want to wear a mask that’s there own choice ,equally respect those who do not want to wear one

Sure is.

My mask is my personal responsibility, as Johnson has urged us to take. My personal responsibility is my business. You are right it’s our choice not to wear a mask

Yup, given the law.

And it's other people's choice to wear a mask, and to stuff it in their pockets, and at this time of personal responsibility not laws, you should respect their choices "

And that’s great in a line and let live society and I’m all for it.

But when the same people who are berating others for not wearing masks are posting meets for gangbangs and have multiple verifications during lockdown, that’s hilarious and hypocritical.

The same people having a go at the lady in the street for not wearing a mask will be fucking sweaty strangers in the swingers club at the weekend!

There’s definitely some “when it suits” morality at play here (not you personally).

We are all free to take our own risks and make our own choices (for now) but practice what you preach

Manchester (she/her)

Sure is.

Yup, given the law.

And it's other people's choice to wear a mask, and to stuff it in their pockets, and at this time of personal responsibility not laws, you should respect their choices We do if people want to wear a mask that’s there own choice ,equally respect those who do not want to wear one "

I will do as I've done throughout the pandemic.

I see them without their mask and I politely move a long way out of their way. I have no idea if they're vulnerable, so I would never say a word. But at the same time, my personal choice and responsibility is to avoid people who aren't covering their faces.

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

Sure is.

Yup, given the law.

And it's other people's choice to wear a mask, and to stuff it in their pockets, and at this time of personal responsibility not laws, you should respect their choices

But when the same people who are berating others for not wearing masks are posting meets for gangbangs and have multiple verifications during lockdown, that’s hilarious and hypocritical.

The same people having a go at the lady in the street for not wearing a mask will be fucking sweaty strangers in the swingers club at the weekend!

There’s definitely some “when it suits” morality at play here (not you personally).

We are all free to take our own risks and make our own choices (for now) but practice what you preach "

I do appreciate this point of view.

However I don’t think you can compare people meeting to wearing a mask in busy public places.

People at clubs or parties, swinging or vanilla, chose to be near me. They’ve thought about the risks and are happy with it.

People in asda don’t have that luxury and might be more nervous x

Manchester (she/her)

Sure is.

Yup, given the law.

We are all free to take our own risks and make our own choices (for now) but practice what you preach

I do appreciate this point of view.

However I don’t think you can compare people meeting to wearing a mask in busy public places.

People at clubs or parties, swinging or vanilla, chose to be near me. They’ve thought about the risks and are happy with it.

People in asda don’t have that luxury and might be more nervous x"

Yes. It's all about respecting people who have no choice.

Particularly the vulnerable, who've been locked away for such a long time. Some continue to be vulnerable after vaccination.

My actions prioritise their comfort, safety, and needs, over my desires.

I want us to all get through this - not just the strong and healthy.

A society is judged by how it handles its vulnerable - and to be frank, I think we're failing at the moment.