FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Going back to wearing masks

Going back to wearing masks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ustforfun49 OP   Man  over a year ago

chesterfield

They are saying that we might have to go back to wearing masks again because this infection rates are going up and sadly more people are dieing but surely these figures are from before the 19 July as it takes a bit of time to get them.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes, these infections don't take into account the effect of the elimination of requirements.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I wonder what happened to the virus, Sunday it was masks on, Monday wear one if you want.

Did the virus suddenly over night as if by magic up and leave ?

I will certainly retain the use of the mask in areas such as shops, trains, buses ETC

By *he FAB Social - MCRCouple (FF)  over a year ago

manchester

I’m still wearing a mask when out in public.

Have to wear them at work still so it’s not a major issue for me.

My area has the highest rates of COVID in England currently

chesterfield

"I wonder what happened to the virus, Sunday it was masks on, Monday wear one if you want.

I will certainly retain the use of the mask in areas such as shops, trains, buses ETC "

I'm not saying not to wear a mask I still wear my mask in the supermarket I'm asking the figures will not yet show the difference from wearing them and not.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I’ve seen no difference, majority are still wearing masks in shops and travelling. Most don’t need someone telling them to do so

On the tube today this morning more weren't wearing one than were and this evening most had them on but none of the tube staff did.

We have noticed many more not wearing a covering in the last 2 days.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

"I’m still wearing a mask when out in public.

Have to wear them at work still so it’s not a major issue for me.

My area has the highest rates of COVID in England currently "

Apparently it's was the north east as highest in uk and for admissions

By *spotpleasurerMan  over a year ago

Norwich

Frankly, the government relaxation on masks have made no difference to me. At work, we are told to wear a mask. Same for public transport. At supermarkets and many retail outlets, they recommend wearing a mask.

My mask wearing has neither increased nor decreased since Monday, nothing has changed.

Manchester (she/her)

I'm still wearing a mask just as much as I was

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

I’ve only seen 2 people in shops not wearing masks and they looked defiantly self-conscious.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I popped to the pharmacy yesterday and the staff were not wearing masks. I was quite surprised by that.

I hope they do re-introduce mask wearing as a legal requirement but I also hope they protect those that genuinely can’t wear a mask.

My mask is staying.

Chez/Sheff

I’m waiting for them to blame a “pingdemic” for the next wave of staff shortages…

"I’m waiting for them to blame a “pingdemic” for the next wave of staff shortages…"

This is the contradiction though isn’t it? We open up, give choices about masks and distancing at a time when numbers are rising fast and then … we want to stop people being pinged. Surely, someone must realise that there will be an impact on the working folk. Who exactly do they think is getting covid? It is going to impact on the economy and that will get worse with long covid and acute covid. As we keep saying, covid isn’t going away so it must be about damage limitation.

Manchester (she/her)

"I popped to the pharmacy yesterday and the staff were not wearing masks. I was quite surprised by that.

I hope they do re-introduce mask wearing as a legal requirement but I also hope they protect those that genuinely can’t wear a mask.

My mask is staying. "

Pharmacy?!

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Our masks went in the bin Monday ,got on the bus today 50 plus on the bus about 10 with a mask , shops about 50 -50

"I popped to the pharmacy yesterday and the staff were not wearing masks. I was quite surprised by that.

My mask is staying.

Pharmacy?! "

That was my reaction as well. I still wore my mask but I really wasn’t expecting them to be working without a mask.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

I think its great that the majority of the public are doing what was ask and use common sense, ive just been shopping and noticed the majority of people round here are very responsible and are still wearing mask as i am when in shops.

Manchester (she/her)

My mask is staying.

Pharmacy?!

That was my reaction as well. I still wore my mask but I really wasn’t expecting them to be working without a mask. "

That's horrifying

I've still been wearing mine when going into shops.

Still required to wear onevwhen going to visit my daughter in hospital - though can take it off at her bedside - though I always pop it back on when nurses or other staff come to do anything for her

"I think its great that the majority of the public are doing what was ask and use common sense, ive just been shopping and noticed the majority of people round here are very responsible and are still wearing mask as i am when in shops."

I have seen more people with a mask than without a mask but the distancing is an issue.

My mask is staying.

Pharmacy?!

That was my reaction as well. I still wore my mask but I really wasn’t expecting them to be working without a mask. "

Were they behind a Perspex screen?

My mask is staying.

Pharmacy?!

That was my reaction as well. I still wore my mask but I really wasn’t expecting them to be working without a mask.

Were they behind a Perspex screen?"

There was a screen across the till on the counter but not across the entrance to the where the dispense the meds. They came to me to hand me the prescription.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Still wearing mine and in all the shops I went into yesterday, all but one customer, were wearing masks.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

If restrictions need to brought back in order to stem the effects of this wave and those to come, different varients etc then so be it..

My mask is staying. "

I went to the pharmacy, the nail salon, the bakery, the butcher and Asda yesterday and none of the staff wore masks and very few customers. A few elderly wore visors but other than that, pretty much mask free in my town

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"They are saying that we might have to go back to wearing masks again because this infection rates are going up and sadly more people are dieing but surely these figures are from before the 19 July as it takes a bit of time to get them. "

I don't think you have be nostradamus to see that coming

Manchester (she/her)

"They are saying that we might have to go back to wearing masks again because this infection rates are going up and sadly more people are dieing but surely these figures are from before the 19 July as it takes a bit of time to get them.

"

It's why I ordered more masks when it was announced that restrictions would end

I am sure if the government can trust us to wash our hands after using the bathroom they can trust us with covid? Errr no, the number who don’t wash is crazy. So a simple washing your hands and staying 6ft away from someone is absolutely impossible if left to the public pmsl

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

This week I've been to Morrisons 11 out of 12 staff didn't have masks on, with lots of smiles to be seen. In terms of shoppers it was about 70% without a mask on.

The chemist all 3 staff no mask but beyond plastic screens. Only 4 customers with 1 wearing mask.

The local Greggs 1 staff in a mask q without behind screens. 3 people without masks and 2 with masks.

KJ

"They are saying that we might have to go back to wearing masks again because this infection rates are going up and sadly more people are dieing but surely these figures are from before the 19 July as it takes a bit of time to get them.

It's why I ordered more masks when it was announced that restrictions would end "

Selling them in Liverpool?

Manchester (she/her)

Selling them in Liverpool?"

No, to wear myself

liverpool

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"Still wearing mine and in all the shops I went into yesterday, all but one customer, were wearing masks."

Similar here and even wearing in the street still, nothing has changed really around here.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"They are saying that we might have to go back to wearing masks again because this infection rates are going up and sadly more people are dieing but surely these figures are from before the 19 July as it takes a bit of time to get them. "

I haven't stopped wearing mine.

The only reason things were lifted this week is because mp's want their summer recess without restrictions. Soon as they're back we'll be back in restrictions, mark my words.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Only wilfully ignorant people, who can wear masks, are likely now to be choosing not to wear them in public indoors places that needed them on Sunday.

Sure, they can be a little hassle for some of us but it's a tiny level in comparison with the huge impact that serious illness and death has, not to mention the impact on our economy and lifestyle.

chelmsford

"Still wearing mine and in all the shops I went into yesterday, all but one customer, were wearing masks.

Similar here and even wearing in the street still, nothing has changed really around here. "

Manchester (she/her)

My first real outing today

I was the only one wearing a mask

"My first real outing today

I was the only one wearing a mask "

That's because we don't have to wear the buggering things anymore! I don't know where you live but people seem more inclined to wear them round here. All very civilised.

Manchester (she/her)

That's because we don't have to wear the buggering things anymore! I don't know where you live but people seem more inclined to wear them round here. All very civilised. "

I'm aware the law has changed

That's because we don't have to wear the buggering things anymore! I don't know where you live but people seem more inclined to wear them round here. All very civilised.

I'm aware the law has changed "

So you seemed surprised that people had ditched them. Useless bloody things in this heat.

I wouldn’t bother, very very few here would buy them

Manchester (she/her)

So you seemed surprised that people had ditched them. Useless bloody things in this heat. "

What does heat have to do with spread of respiratory droplets?

My mask is staying. "

Same in our doctors surgery.

The receptionists are not wearing them either.

My mask is staying.

I went to the pharmacy, the nail salon, the bakery, the butcher and Asda yesterday and none of the staff wore masks and very few customers. A few elderly wore visors but other than that, pretty much mask free in my town "

This is what I'm noticing, customers on the whole are but staff aren't.

By *nicecoupleXCouple  over a year ago

Hitch

We are locking up September for months , I think sep till march

It's what everyone wants. We love it

Total lockdown, double mask (triple if you leave the home to walk the dog)

I think we all need to quadruple vax at least 4 times a year and a bonus jab on birthday

We are locking up September for months , I think sep till march

It's what everyone wants. We love it

Total lockdown, double mask (triple if you leave the home to walk the dog)

I think we all need to quadruple vax at least 4 times a year and a bonus jab on birthday

"

Myself and my family are still wearing masks

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

So you seemed surprised that people had ditched them. Useless bloody things in this heat.

What does heat have to do with spread of respiratory droplets?"

There is a very interesting study that found in hot dry environments your droplets evaporate and the virus particles turn into aerosolized particles that are shed when breathing and can suspend in the air for hours...

Science daily if anyone fancies a read

Manchester (she/her)

There is a very interesting study that found in hot dry environments your droplets evaporate and the virus particles turn into aerosolized particles that are shed when breathing and can suspend in the air for hours...

Science daily if anyone fancies a read "

Hopefully my mask catches them before they do, then. It's what I can do. (Plus, it's humid here)

By *aughtyYorkGentMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

A couple of friends have (separately) been challenged in shops as to why they ARE still wearing a mask, by the local knuckle-draggers. On top of everything else, it appears that "freedom" only applies in one directiom to some people.

By *nicecoupleXCouple  over a year ago

Hitch

"Myself and my family are still wearing masks "

Perfect, I love that, everyone should wear masks mandatory

If you step out your front door or even your garden you should mask

What if you cough and it blows next door? We must protect each other, save the NHS, save lives

And

Build back better x

My mask is staying.

Pharmacy?!

Did you not ask them wear their masks were. You would have thought they should still. Be setting an. Example etc

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"I wonder what happened to the virus, Sunday it was masks on, Monday wear one if you want.

I will certainly retain the use of the mask in areas such as shops, trains, buses ETC "

I think it might have had something to do with that football competition, cases of covid seemed to increase after that was held.

liverpool

Noticeable in the shops today less people are wearing them,even staff

Probally 50/50

I dont think anyone round here wants to be the first to take them off. We are all being very studious still, Im sure as soon as a few do more will follow. Or maybe not. There are more staff than customers in the big shops not wearing them.

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

In our area it’s about 50-50 in shops

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

The rules here in Wales are different,

we are supposed to still be wearing them,

I am still wearing mine,

but it has been alarming to see how many people are breaking the rules and just not bothering now

I guess the need for them is still there and even if told not to, some of us still feel a need.

liverpool

"I dont think anyone round here wants to be the first to take them off. We are all being very studious still, Im sure as soon as a few do more will follow. Or maybe not. There are more staff than customers in the big shops not wearing them. "

I think that was the big danger of making it down to choice.

Masks are more effective when more people wear them,so it only takes 1 or 2 to stop and others will think what's the point?

Still dont get the reasoning behind it.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

My mask is staying.

The receptionists are not wearing them either. "

Come to think of it, our docs receptionists weren't this morning either. Yes, they were separated from patients by a screen BUT there were 6 or 7 receptionists in the office, including two stood right over each others shoulders, and so they were putting each other at risk. One positive staff case would see all of them isolating.

They've filled in the gaps in the screen too AND the counter is at standing height, not wheelchair height, so I couldn't hear a bloody thing

chesterfield

If wearing a mask is to stop the spread of the virus why was it still so high when people had to wear them.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"If wearing a mask is to stop the spread of the virus why was it still so high when people had to wear them. "

It was spreading in places where masks were not mandatory, and social distancing impossible/not feasible like schools and workplaces. Also in private residences where people either live as a household or where people were meeting up outside of the rules and without masks/distancing/ventilation.

Newcastle

I'll continue wearing my mask and keeping my distance but if someone invades my space I have a right to plant one on them as I'm trying to protect myself and my family and back in training

Newcastle

"If wearing a mask is to stop the spread of the virus why was it still so high when people had to wear them. "

Because those who were making excuses can't wear one then taking them of once on public transport up stairs few I nearly knocked out and the old folks were behind me to afraid to say anything we'll I'm not I never fear besides myself

I will certainly retain the use of the mask in areas such as shops, trains, buses ETC

I'm not saying not to wear a mask I still wear my mask in the supermarket I'm asking the figures will not yet show the difference from wearing them and not. "

I called in my local pub for a beer, was about 14:00 hrs(2pm) not many people in, I was asked by one customer why I was wearing a mask I was very sharp with my reply, I asked, why are you not f@@king wearing one

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

This evening I revisited a computer model that I set up two weeks ago. I freely admit that it is very much a simplification, and is full of assumptions that are approximations at best, the main one of which is that all previous restrictions are ignored. That there is a great unmasking, ignoring of social distancing, opening up of sports and social venues, no mandatory controls from government, the population allowed to do what they like. So, as occured this Monday.

Also that the virus remains mainly the delta variant, doesn't get any more infectious or harmful. And that there is no vaccination of children, that the vax programme has slowed for adults, and that anyone currently not started on vaccination will be unable to receive maximum protection within the next three months.

So all a lot of ifs and buts, though broadly in line with what has already happened since I set up the model.

So: two weeks ago my model said that July 20th would have 983548 currently active covid cases, with 46713 new cases that day.

Actual figures from worldometer gave 978240 currently active cases, with 46948 new cases that day.

I'm asking you all to just take my word that my prediction figures are honest, as I didn't post them anywhere on the forum, and I know that is a big ask. But, if you accept that I'm telling the truth, the model has proved pretty accurate over a 14 day period.

So, what does it predict ahead from here? Tomorrow I hope to find time to start a dedicated thread and publish actual figures.

But. If there is no very urgent return to pretty damn strict restrictions. It doesn't look good for the UK. In fact it looks bad. Really bad. I don't see how it could get any worse.

Though on this sort of model, because of exponential growth, small errors early on do quickly build into very large deviations from actual events. And I really really hope that happens.

But. If my very approximate model, with dodgy assumptions, is right. Then by beginning of October we could be seeing more than half a million new cases every day. Though by then nobody will be counting any more, as the infections would be happening too fast for testing and counting to keep up. And test + trace would be abandoned, because basically too many cases to even attempt to trace.

By late October, new cases would be falling again. Because of having run out of population to infect.

We are right on the very edge of the cliff. Regardless of the vaccination programme, the UK has never been in such danger as at present.

Unless I'm wrong. For all our sakes I hope to hell that I am completely wrong.

Please wear your masks. If you haven't been jabbed, go get it done tomorrow. Phone your MP and tell them you want to get your kids vaccinated urgently. Be safe. Or at least, as safe as possible under the circumstances, because none of us are safe now. With prayers, Polly xx

My mask is staying.

Come to think of it, our docs receptionists weren't this morning either. Yes, they were separated from patients by a screen BUT there were 6 or 7 receptionists in the office, including two stood right over each others shoulders, and so they were putting each other at risk. One positive staff case would see all of them isolating.

They've filled in the gaps in the screen too AND the counter is at standing height, not wheelchair height, so I couldn't hear a bloody thing "

Receptionists should be as it’s mandatory for all nhs staff to continue wearing masks

My mask is staying.

They've filled in the gaps in the screen too AND the counter is at standing height, not wheelchair height, so I couldn't hear a bloody thing

Receptionists should be as it’s mandatory for all nhs staff to continue wearing masks "

It might be mandatory but it's not happening at my surgery and by the sounds of it it's not the only one.

Ash said the security staff inside the hospital this morning weren't either.

Manchester (she/her)

70% masked in my local supermarket today.

100% in my charity

"70% masked in my local supermarket today.

100% in my charity"

On the bus this morning there was about 20 people on it,

4 wearing masks and about 50/50 in the supermarket.

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

I wear one, double vacinated too. Its a personal choice. Just because Boris says you dont have to wont change my mind. He has been wrong on so many things.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

"This evening I revisited a computer model that I set up two weeks ago. I freely admit that it is very much a simplification, and is full of assumptions that are approximations at best, the main one of which is that all previous restrictions are ignored. That there is a great unmasking, ignoring of social distancing, opening up of sports and social venues, no mandatory controls from government, the population allowed to do what they like. So, as occured this Monday.

Also that the virus remains mainly the delta variant, doesn't get any more infectious or harmful. And that there is no vaccination of children, that the vax programme has slowed for adults, and that anyone currently not started on vaccination will be unable to receive maximum protection within the next three months.

So all a lot of ifs and buts, though broadly in line with what has already happened since I set up the model.

So: two weeks ago my model said that July 20th would have 983548 currently active covid cases, with 46713 new cases that day.

Actual figures from worldometer gave 978240 currently active cases, with 46948 new cases that day.

I'm asking you all to just take my word that my prediction figures are honest, as I didn't post them anywhere on the forum, and I know that is a big ask. But, if you accept that I'm telling the truth, the model has proved pretty accurate over a 14 day period.

So, what does it predict ahead from here? Tomorrow I hope to find time to start a dedicated thread and publish actual figures.

But. If there is no very urgent return to pretty damn strict restrictions. It doesn't look good for the UK. In fact it looks bad. Really bad. I don't see how it could get any worse.

Though on this sort of model, because of exponential growth, small errors early on do quickly build into very large deviations from actual events. And I really really hope that happens.

But. If my very approximate model, with dodgy assumptions, is right. Then by beginning of October we could be seeing more than half a million new cases every day. Though by then nobody will be counting any more, as the infections would be happening too fast for testing and counting to keep up. And test + trace would be abandoned, because basically too many cases to even attempt to trace.

By late October, new cases would be falling again. Because of having run out of population to infect.

We are right on the very edge of the cliff. Regardless of the vaccination programme, the UK has never been in such danger as at present.

Please wear your masks. If you haven't been jabbed, go get it done tomorrow. Phone your MP and tell them you want to get your kids vaccinated urgently. Be safe. Or at least, as safe as possible under the circumstances, because none of us are safe now. With prayers, Polly xx"

Once it has run out of population to infect then what happens? I know people can get it twice ( or more) but what would be happening then November December and on?

Manchester (she/her)

"I wear one, double vacinated too. Its a personal choice. Just because Boris says you dont have to wont change my mind. He has been wrong on so many things."

Exactly

near ipswich

Only saw one person in my local supermarket not wearing one this morning so the majority round here are still wearing them but not surprised really.

I haven't stopped wearing my mask & I shall wear one for ever more on public transport...I know the main purpose is to protect others from you but a good % of wearing a mask also protects yourself...No way will I go into a packed super market, street or park without one on either

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"This evening I revisited a computer model that I set up two weeks ago. I freely admit that it is very much a simplification, and is full of assumptions that are approximations at best, the main one of which is that all previous restrictions are ignored. That there is a great unmasking, ignoring of social distancing, opening up of sports and social venues, no mandatory controls from government, the population allowed to do what they like. So, as occured this Monday.

Please wear your masks. If you haven't been jabbed, go get it done tomorrow. Phone your MP and tell them you want to get your kids vaccinated urgently. Be safe. Or at least, as safe as possible under the circumstances, because none of us are safe now. With prayers, Polly xx

Once it has run out of population to infect then what happens? I know people can get it twice ( or more) but what would be happening then November December and on?"

The computer model I'm using makes a simplifying assumption that once infected a person either dies or recovers after a couple of weeks, either way stops infecting new people. Also that any person only gets it once, and there is only one variant in play.

These are the sort of simplifications that make it very much a toy model, and I expect that real models at universities and health organisations would be far more complex (at least I'd bloody well hope they are if a professional person or team is getting lots of dosh for working it out).

Realistically yes people can get it twice, and new variants will keep popping up - the more people that the virus runs through, the more likely to get new variants.

What I would expect is that by November/December most people in this country would have been exposed to the virus at least once. All the very vulnerable people will be dead or dying, a lot of people will be down with serious long term disabilities, a lot with lesser but still serious long covid complications. Hopefully all these will add up to no more than 10% of the population. The remainder will either have been asymptomatic through, or various levels of poorly then recovered. The overwhelming of the NHS at the height of the storm will also have caused havok with all patients that needed hospital treatment for any other reason.

We then move into the herd immunity phase. There will still be a few percent that didn't get exposed at the peak, who remain scattered throughout what is now a mainly immune population. But the virus will be thoroughly embedded in society, there may be a few "slow burn" typhoid mary's that carry the virus for an indefinite period but don't get sick themselves, causing little flare ups of covid if they bump into one of the non-immune people. Also immunity will wane, new variants will circulate, covid will become a background illness occurring at low level, possibly seasonally like other respiratory borne diseases.

It will become a childhood illness, dangerous to newborns and juveniles. We may find that when people get it for the second time it is less debilitating, or it might be that the first time weakens and the second, third time is far more serious.

So basically, I don't know what happens by wintertime, but it is unlikely to be particularly good.

Science daily if anyone fancies a read "

Makes sense. I assume that makes masks less effective as they will catch the large droplets that are sneezed/coughed out, but not free nodes?

By *heekybrummiemonkeysCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

"Myself and my family are still wearing masks

Perfect, I love that, everyone should wear masks mandatory

If you step out your front door or even your garden you should mask

What if you cough and it blows next door? We must protect each other, save the NHS, save lives

And

Build back better x "

It’s probably worth wearing one in your home too… I mean, windows are open, you never know! It could blow into someone else’s open window!

Come to think of it I’m wondering how we all ever left the house in the past! Life outside was just far too risky…

"On the tube today this morning more weren't wearing one than were and this evening most had them on but none of the tube staff did.

We have noticed many more not wearing a covering in the last 2 days. "

I actually noticed more people wearing it on tube during the day and at night almost everyone didn’t wear it… (mostly young people) I still kept mine on as too many people.. strange lol

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

Once it has run out of population to infect then what happens? I know people can get it twice ( or more) but what would be happening then November December and on?

The computer model I'm using makes a simplifying assumption that once infected a person either dies or recovers after a couple of weeks, either way stops infecting new people. Also that any person only gets it once, and there is only one variant in play.

These are the sort of simplifications that make it very much a toy model, and I expect that real models at universities and health organisations would be far more complex (at least I'd bloody well hope they are if a professional person or team is getting lots of dosh for working it out).

Realistically yes people can get it twice, and new variants will keep popping up - the more people that the virus runs through, the more likely to get new variants.

What I would expect is that by November/December most people in this country would have been exposed to the virus at least once. All the very vulnerable people will be dead or dying, a lot of people will be down with serious long term disabilities, a lot with lesser but still serious long covid complications. Hopefully all these will add up to no more than 10% of the population. The remainder will either have been asymptomatic through, or various levels of poorly then recovered. The overwhelming of the NHS at the height of the storm will also have caused havok with all patients that needed hospital treatment for any other reason.

We then move into the herd immunity phase. There will still be a few percent that didn't get exposed at the peak, who remain scattered throughout what is now a mainly immune population. But the virus will be thoroughly embedded in society, there may be a few "slow burn" typhoid mary's that carry the virus for an indefinite period but don't get sick themselves, causing little flare ups of covid if they bump into one of the non-immune people. Also immunity will wane, new variants will circulate, covid will become a background illness occurring at low level, possibly seasonally like other respiratory borne diseases.

It will become a childhood illness, dangerous to newborns and juveniles. We may find that when people get it for the second time it is less debilitating, or it might be that the first time weakens and the second, third time is far more serious.

So basically, I don't know what happens by wintertime, but it is unlikely to be particularly good."

I am looking forward to seeing your thread Polly. I know you have been laughed at by a few people these last 17 months yet as crazy as what you said at the time you were proving absolutely correct more than once.

The only thing I have pick up is a week ago we were over 50,000 daily infections and since its seems to be dropping with the last few days been under 40,000 now is there a chance just maybe its already peaked and we are on our way down?

Or is the hot weather acting as a temporary slow down?

As we know death figures always laggl by 2 to 4 weeks but sadly they are very much on an upward trend.

KJ

Didn’t stop wearing masks. Never bought into this freedom day crap.

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

Will be continuing for the foreseeable future. Now it's holiday season our local infection rates are getting to silly numbers, especially the tourist hotspots like Newquay

liverpool

In sainsburys last night and mask wearing was very low,even.amongst the staff.

Was quite surprised tbh as there is a sign up saying they encourage people to wear them

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

I still wear my mask now, not really sure why they needed to lift that restriction, it was hardly a chore.

near ipswich

"In sainsburys last night and mask wearing was very low,even.amongst the staff.

Was quite surprised tbh as there is a sign up saying they encourage people to wear them

"

Maybe thats why the numbers have been and still are so high in the NW and NE i only saw one person without one on in tesco,s yesterday.

I’m still wearing mine, I’ve just been to the coop and it’s about 50/50 who’s wearing and who’s not, isn’t it better to wear until we’re 100% sure it’s safe, do we really want to back into lockdown or something a long those lines

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

"I’m still wearing mine, I’ve just been to the coop and it’s about 50/50 who’s wearing and who’s not, isn’t it better to wear until we’re 100% sure it’s safe, do we really want to back into lockdown or something a long those lines "

I think business itself favours mask wearing so it limits the number of workers they lose.

Its an example of the law of unintended consequences, an action to improve business probably hurt it.

Certainly in the short term

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"Our masks went in the bin Monday ,got on the bus today 50 plus on the bus about 10 with a mask , shops about 50 -50 "

Most of customers wearing them in supermarket! Staff not but tbf customers not in there that long! Staff doing 8 + hrs x

chelmsford

I'm still wearing mine, as most shops are asking us to..and most people where I shop, are wearing them.

I will be wearing a face covering in crowded city streets, department stores, supermarkets, public transport for as long as I shall live

By *aussageMan  over a year ago

sherborne

Masks did absolutely nothing for infection rates. If you look at the data for various countries there is almost no correlation in cases to mask mandates. This should come as no surprise really because there were some large clinical studies done in the past 10 years looking at this issue and they concluded only n95 masks really statically offered any protection. Surgical masks did close to nothing, and cloth masks are an infection risk due to bacterial contamination. Even the WHO at the start of the pandemic said exactly this. Masks are psychological propaganda, a constant visual reminder there is even a pandemic at all. If masks really were important, they would advise or mandate n95 or similar. The fact you can tie any piece of cloth to your face and you are good to go is frankly absurd.

Manchester (she/her)

"Masks did absolutely nothing for infection rates. If you look at the data for various countries there is almost no correlation in cases to mask mandates. This should come as no surprise really because there were some large clinical studies done in the past 10 years looking at this issue and they concluded only n95 masks really statically offered any protection. Surgical masks did close to nothing, and cloth masks are an infection risk due to bacterial contamination. Even the WHO at the start of the pandemic said exactly this. Masks are psychological propaganda, a constant visual reminder there is even a pandemic at all. If masks really were important, they would advise or mandate n95 or similar. The fact you can tie any piece of cloth to your face and you are good to go is frankly absurd."

Nevertheless, I'll be wearing my mask.

near ipswich

"Masks did absolutely nothing for infection rates. If you look at the data for various countries there is almost no correlation in cases to mask mandates. This should come as no surprise really because there were some large clinical studies done in the past 10 years looking at this issue and they concluded only n95 masks really statically offered any protection. Surgical masks did close to nothing, and cloth masks are an infection risk due to bacterial contamination. Even the WHO at the start of the pandemic said exactly this. Masks are psychological propaganda, a constant visual reminder there is even a pandemic at all. If masks really were important, they would advise or mandate n95 or similar. The fact you can tie any piece of cloth to your face and you are good to go is frankly absurd.

Nevertheless, I'll be wearing my mask."

me too

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

"Masks did absolutely nothing for infection rates. If you look at the data for various countries there is almost no correlation in cases to mask mandates. This should come as no surprise really because there were some large clinical studies done in the past 10 years looking at this issue and they concluded only n95 masks really statically offered any protection. Surgical masks did close to nothing, and cloth masks are an infection risk due to bacterial contamination. Even the WHO at the start of the pandemic said exactly this. Masks are psychological propaganda, a constant visual reminder there is even a pandemic at all. If masks really were important, they would advise or mandate n95 or similar. The fact you can tie any piece of cloth to your face and you are good to go is frankly absurd."

In the face of huge numbers of cases - wearing masks does induce addition behaviours which are actually beneficial to suppressing this virus. It makes you think twice - it’s not just about mask.

Look I understand why you might feel oppressed at having to wear a mask but the virus is relentless and seeks out our weaknesses and our behaviour can certainly be a weakness

By *iobhan123Woman  over a year ago

Deal

Masks are still a thing in Healthcare settings, Gabe so many people one at the vaccination centre today, vulnerable patients mean this is a necessity, thankfully no one refused to comply

By *arialoueWoman  over a year ago

bradford

Tbh I can see lock down before winter hits at this rate,too many major restrictions being lifted all at once n ppl just not using common sense covid n it's variant friends are here to stay learn to live with it safely

"Masks did absolutely nothing for infection rates. If you look at the data for various countries there is almost no correlation in cases to mask mandates. This should come as no surprise really because there were some large clinical studies done in the past 10 years looking at this issue and they concluded only n95 masks really statically offered any protection. Surgical masks did close to nothing, and cloth masks are an infection risk due to bacterial contamination. Even the WHO at the start of the pandemic said exactly this. Masks are psychological propaganda, a constant visual reminder there is even a pandemic at all. If masks really were important, they would advise or mandate n95 or similar. The fact you can tie any piece of cloth to your face and you are good to go is frankly absurd.

Nevertheless, I'll be wearing my mask."

Defo...before Covid I picked up some nasty coughs from public transport...I used to nearly freak out when I'd hear a dirty wet cough while on the bus & most of the time they wouldn't even cover their mouth

So anytime I'd have a poly neck or scark I'd cover my face...once I started to do that it actually protected me from inhaling the air born contagious droplets.

By *ighlander80884Man  over a year ago

Inverness

In Scotland, masks remain mandatory.

Its coming to the time where I will start to wear an FFP3 mask in shops and supermarkets to protect ME rather than protect others.

Argue all you want about masks, they did reduce aerosol droplets that carry viruses, be they covid or flu.

"In Scotland, masks remain mandatory.

Its coming to the time where I will start to wear an FFP3 mask in shops and supermarkets to protect ME rather than protect others.

Argue all you want about masks, they did reduce aerosol droplets that carry viruses, be they covid or flu. "

"Argue all you want about masks, they did reduce inhaling airborn droplets that carry viruses, be they covid or flu."

^^^^^^^ 1000% agree. If people value their health & those of others they'd wear Face coverings. Covid ain't going anywhere. Increase of children contracting it now too.

Also some attitudes towards Covid does make me question their sexual health practices too. As we all know STIs are rife, so much son that in some Counties in Ireland the HSE are providing free self testing STI home kits.

If you had been following current news etc you would know the answer to that question. After all its not Rocket science. Figure it out.

Most people wearing masks in shops where I am.

Went to merry hill today, first time since all restrictions have been lifted, & about 10% maximum was wearing masks, to the point I felt awkward wearing mine, in both the shops & the centre. When are we gonna get through this covid era? Or am I OCD?!?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Most people wearing masks in shops where I am."

Same here - it's quite remarkable when you see those without. Beacons flashing clearly to give them a wide berth. Merry Hill wasn't too bad midweek, most were masked.

By *aussageMan  over a year ago

sherborne

Argue all you want about masks, they did reduce aerosol droplets that carry viruses, be they covid or flu.

"Argue all you want about masks, they did reduce inhaling airborn droplets that carry viruses, be they covid or flu."

^^^^^^^ 1000% agree. If people value their health & those of others they'd wear Face coverings. Covid ain't going anywhere. Increase of children contracting it now too.

Also some attitudes towards Covid does make me question their sexual health practices too. As we all know STIs are rife, so much son that in some Counties in Ireland the HSE are providing free self testing STI home kits.

"

Strongly disagree. All the studies especially those concerning cloth masks show they are an infection risk because they quickly get contaminated and start growing pathogens. These are studies on medical personal who are trained in the proper fitting and timely disposal of masks. The general public are touching their masks constantly, they are stuffing them in their pockets and in some cases wearing them day after day without cleaning or replacing them. It's completely unhygienic. It would be like wiping your ass with the same piece of toilet paper day after day. I said it before but the fact you can trap any piece of cloth to your face and you are good to go if absurd.

By *wistedTooCouple  over a year ago

Frimley

We haven’t stopped wearing them. Hardly a massive issue for us.

ashford

"Most people wearing masks in shops where I am.

Same here - it's quite remarkable when you see those without. Beacons flashing clearly to give them a wide berth. Merry Hill wasn't too bad midweek, most were masked. "

working 8 + hrs in one pushing a heavy online cart wearing one picking 175 items an hour! Not good! Glad we dont have to wear them in this heat!x

Strongly disagree. All the studies especially those concerning cloth masks show they are an infection risk because they quickly get contaminated and start growing pathogens. These are studies on medical personal who are trained in the proper fitting and timely disposal of masks. The general public are touching their masks constantly, they are stuffing them in their pockets and in some cases wearing them day after day without cleaning or replacing them. It's completely unhygienic. It would be like wiping your ass with the same piece of toilet paper day after day. I said it before but the fact you can trap any piece of cloth to your face and you are good to go if absurd."

I'll continue to wear mine. They do give me protection & the pros definitely out-weigh the cons. But sure if we're gonna look at it that way... That they get contaminated...doesn't every thing we wear get contaminated then???

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

We don’t have to wear them at work any more thank god

But I do wear them in a supermarket

X

ashford

Strongly disagree. All the studies especially those concerning cloth masks show they are an infection risk because they quickly get contaminated and start growing pathogens. These are studies on medical personal who are trained in the proper fitting and timely disposal of masks. The general public are touching their masks constantly, they are stuffing them in their pockets and in some cases wearing them day after day without cleaning or replacing them. It's completely unhygienic. It would be like wiping your ass with the same piece of toilet paper day after day. I said it before but the fact you can trap any piece of cloth to your face and you are good to go if absurd.

I'll continue to wear mine. They do give me protection & the pros definitely out-weigh the cons. But sure if we're gonna look at it that way... That they get contaminated...doesn't every thing we wear get contaminated then??? "

Of course but we dont wear things over our mouth usually! X

I'll continue to wear mine. They do give me protection & the pros definitely out-weigh the cons. But sure if we're gonna look at it that way... That they get contaminated...doesn't every thing we wear get contaminated then???

Of course but we dont wear things over our mouth usually! X"

Yes true I guess... Some experts claim theres more bacteria/germs/pathogens on our phones then out toilets XX

I never stopped.

Wear a mask, don’t wear a mask, it’s your choice but don’t be a numpty that wears it under your nose.

I’ve had a few stares and glares directed at me this week for not wearing a mask myself..

ashford

"Wear a mask, don’t wear a mask, it’s your choice but don’t be a numpty that wears it under your nose.

I’ve had a few stares and glares directed at me this week for not wearing a mask myself.."

Let them stare I say! I had a lady say to me at work yesterday dont u have to wear a mask I said no x

Manchester (she/her)

I assume and will continue to assume that anyone not wearing a mask is vulnerable.

I don't want to single anyone out for their disability or impairment, so I just give them lots and lots and lots of space.

For the most part it’s down to personal choice.

I’ll happily wear a mask in a small boutique type shop or the local supermarket during peak times but won’t if I know it’s a big open space with hardly anyone in there..

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

"For the most part it’s down to personal choice.

I’ll happily wear a mask in a small boutique type shop or the local supermarket during peak times but won’t if I know it’s a big open space with hardly anyone in there.."

Chez/Sheff

Struggling to find a “nice” replacement mask. Mine are trashed.

Nearly everyone in all the shops I’ve been to have still been wearing masks

By *oomerang73Man  over a year ago

Newton

Watching the super bike racing on tv yesterday and nobody had masks on. It was as though covid wasn’t a thing. Sad to see really.

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

where i am, everyone still wears masks. I don't know any difference

All these snowflakes who constantly whine about wearing a little mask, it’s a good job there’s not a war on, how would they cope?

"All these snowflakes who constantly whine about wearing a little mask, it’s a good job there’s not a war on, how would they cope?"

I don’t think snowflake is a thing, it’s just lazy vocabulary in my opinion

I don’t whine but I do think we should wear masks.

If there was a war on they wouldn’t ask you to wear that type of mask

"Watching the super bike racing on tv yesterday and nobody had masks on. It was as though covid wasn’t a thing. Sad to see really."

Its a truly wonderful thing to see. After nearly 18 months of this crap it's great to see do e normality.

"Watching the super bike racing on tv yesterday and nobody had masks on. It was as though covid wasn’t a thing. Sad to see really.

Its a truly wonderful thing to see. After nearly 18 months of this crap it's great to see do e normality."

Watching the Olympics in Japan this evening... The Triathlon...a false start at first... ... They got through it though.

"Nearly everyone in all the shops I’ve been to have still been wearing masks "

Down here in London I hardly ever see anyone wearing masks, it's so good to see people smiling and children laughing. Facial expression is a natural human form of communication.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Watching the super bike racing on tv yesterday and nobody had masks on. It was as though covid wasn’t a thing. Sad to see really."
I'd say that's mostly as they are outdoors and spread out.

Marshals and teams still will be. I know we have still been told to wear them unless working more than 2m from people

» Add a new message to this topic