FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > NHS App - not for for purpose?

NHS App - not for for purpose?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Has the NHS app become not fit for purpose?

It seems to have gone mad since the lockdown restrictions have been lifted pinging people left right and centre.

My next door neighbour has been pinged despite being shielding for the past 6 months and never been over her doorstep! Why has she been pinged?

Her son and daughter-in-law and their son haven't been to see her in all that time. No other relatives or friends have been to see her either. The family haven't been anywhere outside their own town some 10 miles away for any reason.

It's bizarre how the app is behaving. I no longer have it, I uninstalled it last weekend.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

How sad that your next door neighbour has not been outdoors or seen anyone for six months

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

She must have food/prescriptions deliveries and such? Could be the delivery person?

But how horrible your mum not been out her door or had any one through it for so long. Hope she ok.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I don't believe someone can be pinged if they have not been out for months and not seen anyone sorry

To the question, the app is working as it should, picking up people who have covid and others who should isolate, it is bound to do this when we have so many cases running rife

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The first thing i will say is that the NHS App dosn't ping anyone. What does do the pinging is the NHS Covid App. The 2 are completely different and serve 2 completely different purposes.

The second thing i will say is that the NHS Covid App is complete rubbish, always has been and probably always will be. It was written by "friends" of people in power, at very high cost to you and me as taxpayers............serves little to no purpose............other than keeping those "friends" in the manor that they have become accustomed.

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

"I don't believe someone can be pinged if they have not been out for months and not seen anyone sorry

To the question, the app is working as it should, picking up people who have covid and others who should isolate, it is bound to do this when we have so many cases running rife"

^^this^^ I have had the app the whole time and never once been pinged as I have stuck to the rules and avoided contact with others as best as possible and only really gone out to get shopping when needed as I am a carer for my vulnerable mum who lives with me.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

Never had it, never will.

By *nonymousSwingerMan  over a year ago

cambridge

I thought they tried to write their own app, but then just used apple and Google’s proximity services that are native in their OS’s?

Random thought. If you live in a terraced house or a block of flats, and your sofa is wall to wall with next doors sofa, if they get pinged will you then get pinged? Proximity and time would fit.

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

Never had the app ... simple

"She must have food/prescriptions deliveries and such? Could be the delivery person?

But how horrible your mum not been out her door or had any one through it for so long. Hope she ok."

The lady isn't my Mum, she is a neighbour. I do her everyday shopping for her. If she wants anything, she phones me and I put my face mask on, go to her front door where she, also wearing a mask, hands me her little shopping list. When Ive got it for her, I knock on her front door and pop it inside the door when she opens it.She has her prescriptions delivered from a local pharmacy, the same driver every time. The pharmacy has 3 drivers and they each have a dedicated delivery round. She doesn't use Amazon or other online shopping as she doesn't want the bother of it as she puts it. She is 81 years old bless her. I've offered to take her out for a car ride to the coast but she says she isn't ready yet she might do soon though. The NHS app she has is the one that is alerting people. Her son put it on her phone for her early on when it first came out. He does phone her every day to find out how she is doing.

I don't profess to understand how/why/when these things work, all I know is that whatever is going on with the technical side of things it's causing chaos throughout the country and all sectors of business and industry.

Perhaps the Government needs to instruct the boffins to deeply analyse the inner workings of the app programme and see if anything is really wrong with it. There could be a simple reason why the app is sending pings out left, right and centre seemingly randomly.

Leeds

I can't understand why her family don't visit her when they only live ten miles away. Even someone shielding can sit 2m apart outside for a chat

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Once again it seems like they havemt got an utter clue.

On the radio before one was saying it's a personal choice whilst that business secretary was saying you have to isolate.

Also confusion over if you have been jabbed twice.

Absolute shambles

"I can't understand why her family don't visit her when they only live ten miles away. Even someone shielding can sit 2m apart outside for a chat"

I asked Freda, the old lady, why they weren't visiting her when they were fairly close by. She shrugged her shoulders and said she didn't know. Then she surprised me by saying her daughter-in-law is a tosser anyway! Her words, not mine. Then she said the daughter-in-law had her son under the thumb. Apparently no love lost between the two women.

Hopefully at some point her son will decide to visit his mother. Fingers crossed.

By *lackCherry...Woman  over a year ago

North East

"I thought they tried to write their own app, but then just used apple and Google’s proximity services that are native in their OS’s?

Random thought. If you live in a terraced house or a block of flats, and your sofa is wall to wall with next doors sofa, if they get pinged will you then get pinged? Proximity and time would fit. "

Yes I believe that is how it works

"I don't believe someone can be pinged if they have not been out for months and not seen anyone sorry

To the question, the app is working as it should, picking up people who have covid and others who should isolate, it is bound to do this when we have so many cases running rife"

yes it can, if you live in a detatched house you can be within range of someone, even if you have never met them or left your house, not sure a virus can get through walls

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I assume it's as good as it ever was but is more active now because infection levels are back to the winter problem point. We just have to accept that we have made mistakes leading to this catastrophe. We're no 3 in the world for infection levels rising so much

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

"Has the NHS app become not fit for purpose?

It seems to have gone mad since the lockdown restrictions have been lifted pinging people left right and centre.

My next door neighbour has been pinged despite being shielding for the past 6 months and never been over her doorstep! Why has she been pinged?

Her son and daughter-in-law and their son haven't been to see her in all that time. No other relatives or friends have been to see her either. The family haven't been anywhere outside their own town some 10 miles away for any reason.

It's bizarre how the app is behaving. I no longer have it, I uninstalled it last weekend."

Apparently it's 1000 cases daily in hospital and then those isolating well done Boris another fucked up plan

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

The app might work if the other one have it too, if one dont have the app, it is impossible for the app to know the status of that person.

its a sad world when we rely on an app to tell us if we are ill, i have never and never will download it, if i feel ill then im ill, if i dont then im not, its worked through bigger pandemics than this very well, i dont need a badly thought out app to tell me, and yes im at high risk, and i take precations, and yes ive been jabed, not alot more i can do really, im just going to live with it now, lets face it covid isnt going to go anywhere, it mutates to quick, all we can do is get vacinated and be carefull

"Never had the app ... simple "
Same here

"its a sad world when we rely on an app to tell us if we are ill, i have never and never will download it, if i feel ill then im ill, if i dont then im not, its worked through bigger pandemics than this very well, i dont need a badly thought out app to tell me, and yes im at high risk, and i take precations, and yes ive been jabed, not alot more i can do really, im just going to live with it now, lets face it covid isnt going to go anywhere, it mutates to quick, all we can do is get vacinated and be carefull"

The App doesn't tell you if you're ill - it alerts you if you've been near someone who is ill. And you've not had a bigger pandemic in your lifetime.

That said, the App is total crap, not worth having and the system behind it is not fit for purpose. Oh, and despite the branding it has nothing to do with the NHS.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"its a sad world when we rely on an app to tell us if we are ill, i have never and never will download it, if i feel ill then im ill, if i dont then im not, its worked through bigger pandemics than this very well, i dont need a badly thought out app to tell me, and yes im at high risk, and i take precations, and yes ive been jabed, not alot more i can do really, im just going to live with it now, lets face it covid isnt going to go anywhere, it mutates to quick, all we can do is get vacinated and be carefull"

You've not been in a bigger pandemic than this unless you were around during the 1913 spanish flu, or the 1346 black death...

Leeds

Redchair48 - which bigger pandemic are you thinking of ?

"Redchair48 - which bigger pandemic are you thinking of ?"

there have been many, and i never said ive lived through any, apart from the flue pandemic in the 70s, not sure how many that killed, but it was alot, if you look up the figures, its supprising how many have died from covid, due to the huge media and goverment attention i thought it would be much higher

ive just googled the number of deaths, its 130 thousand, and most had underlying health conditions, or were over 70, so covid was only a factor.

out of a population of nearly 70 million, that less than 5 %.

"Redchair48 - which bigger pandemic are you thinking of ?"

spanish flue for one

By *inky_ragnarCouple  over a year ago

Peterborough

I'm sure the pingdemic has nothing to do with the 100,000's that mixed mask free in pubs because some millionares where kicking a ball around

"I'm sure the pingdemic has nothing to do with the 100,000's that mixed mask free in pubs because some millionares where kicking a ball around"

You're right, it has nothing to do with that.

How would the App know who was wearing a mask?

Your argument that what you described "worked well in other pandemics" is absolutely nonsense. 228 thousand people died in the UK during the Spanish Flu pandemic. So explain how your theory worked there.

If we had not taken the measures we did, UK total deaths from Covid would be likely be doubled or tripled.

Also a vast number of people have died/ are dying from other conditions because they haven't had diagnosis or treatment, that's without the suicides.

Its simply not true that it's mainly over 70's who have died from Covid. Also to say that makes it sound like you think it's okay for over 70's to die because they are "old"

I personally know of young people who have died. You also make it sound like it is okay for people to have died because " they have underlying health conditions"

If my son who has previously had cancer and chemo gets Covid, he could die. Some of his friends have long Covid.

What you need to remember is that the people who have died are " somebody's mum/dad/son/daughter/friend ect ect. They are real people not disposable because they are elderly or anything else

The government stopped shielding months ago.

Apparently if you live in a semi say

If the person next door to you gets pinged for covid then it pings you as well coz your close by

Even though there's a brick wall between you it goes on proximity which is abit shite because it doesn't know there's a brick wall there

The covid app which is different to the NHS app I have currently turned off tracking on because the only places I am going is the hospital and the gp surgery. I am masked the whole time and keeping distance so I don’t want to pose the risk of my induction being delayed if I’m pinged.

"Risk threshold and notifications

When someone develops symptoms related to Coronavirus, they are asked when these symptoms first appeared and asked to request a test through the app. If they test positive, they are asked whether the app can notify other app users they may have passed the virus on to.

The algorithm uses the date of symptom onset to calculate who they are most likely to have infected. The algorithm looks at the daily risk for every app user who they came into contact with from 2 days before symptoms first appeared, up to a maximum of 10 days after symptoms first appeared"

https://covid19.nhs.uk/risk-scoring-algorithm.html

Suggest turning both wifi and bluetooth off if you don't like data being gathered.....

"Redchair48 - which bigger pandemic are you thinking of ?

spanish flue for one"

This .

Leeds

spanish flue for one

This ."

But how did relying on feeling ill during Spanish flu work well when so many died ?

Central

"ive just googled the number of deaths, its 130 thousand, and most had underlying health conditions, or were over 70, so covid was only a factor.

"

The full details of causes of death are fully published. The most elderly people who died lost an average of 10 years of their lives. You make '5%' of the population dead seem like it's OK. It's not.

Central

"Apparently if you live in a semi say

If the person next door to you gets pinged for covid then it pings you as well coz your close by

Even though there's a brick wall between you it goes on proximity which is abit shite because it doesn't know there's a brick wall there"

Bluetooth is affected by obstructions, I think you'll find. Try sharing movies via Bluetooth with next door

[Removed by poster at 23/07/21 10:07:31]

"Apparently if you live in a semi say

Even though there's a brick wall between you it goes on proximity which is abit shite because it doesn't know there's a brick wall there

Bluetooth is affected by obstructions, I think you'll find. Try sharing movies via Bluetooth with next door "

It is possible I've worked with wireless cameras for years

It's only 6 inch of brick depending where you put or charge your phone's

Being in proximity for 2 minutes

It can happen and it has happened to me.

I was pinged about 3 weeks ago and I was very confused because the day was saying I had been in contact with someone I hadn't actually left the house for 4 days prior. Ash had but hadn't been pinged so we couldn't work it out.

I phoned NHS 119 to clarify the situation. One of the 1st questions they asked me was if I lived in a block of flats, I replied yes and then said do you live on the ground floor for on the corner, I replied both.

The operator told me I didn't need to self isolate as the app was very sensitive and it didn't mean the I hit been in close contact with anybody just that my phone had picked up a signal of somebody who had registered a positive test.

When I asked if this was even possible I was told yes it happens all the time. I also understand the government were looking in to whether they could make the app less sensitive because lots of people were being pinged just because there phone had picked up the signal rather than that person had been in close contact.

"The government stopped shielding months ago. "

They sort of did and a sort of didnt which is typical.

They stopped the support for shielding people however sent those that were shielding letters saying they were still strongly advised to take extra precaution and would probably feel safer if they continued to shield.

To the question, the app is working as it should, picking up people who have covid and others who should isolate, it is bound to do this when we have so many cases running rife

It can happen and it has happened to me.

I was pinged about 3 weeks ago and I was very confused because the day was saying I had been in contact with someone I hadn't actually left the house for 4 days prior. Ash had but hadn't been pinged so we couldn't work it out.

I phoned NHS 119 to clarify the situation. One of the 1st questions they asked me was if I lived in a block of flats, I replied yes and then said do you live on the ground floor for on the corner, I replied both.

The operator told me I didn't need to self isolate as the app was very sensitive and it didn't mean the I hit been in close contact with anybody just that my phone had picked up a signal of somebody who had registered a positive test.

When I asked if this was even possible I was told yes it happens all the time. I also understand the government were looking in to whether they could make the app less sensitive because lots of people were being pinged just because there phone had picked up the signal rather than that person had been in close contact.

"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nhs-covid-app-review-after-dismay-at-numbers-going-into-self-isolation-c0t2rpwjr

"ive just googled the number of deaths, its 130 thousand, and most had underlying health conditions, or were over 70, so covid was only a factor.

"

Yes red chair:

130,000 deaths

500,000+ critcal care/icu survivors who will likely need oxygen or sustained therapy for the rest of their lives, they will never return to a normal working life.

An estimated 2,000,000 plus long covid sufferers who a year on still cannot function properly and their future health remains Unkown. And all of this despite the most severe of measures to stop the spread of infection and one of the most advanced medical systems in the world.

And of course... we aren’t done, covid is here, it continues to mutate, it may sadly still mutate to increase its mortality rate, negate the vaccination scheme etc. The future is far from settled.

You’re post to diminish this viruses impact as ever selectively chooses stats. It presents a bias in an effort to dumb down what is a horrific illness. If you want to be an armchair detective, google the rates of the under 70’s who have survived through critical care or ventilation. Look up the issues which are common in those discharged patients. You’ll find plenty of 40, 50 year olds with a 20% remaining lung capacity, damaged cardiovascular systems etc... we have perhaps stopped covid from killing them but it has robbed them of their futures, it has almost certainly vastly reduced their remaining years significantly too not to mention placed them in a life where they’ll require costly medical support to maintain their meagre existence.

There’s no simple alive or dead scenario, you’re an absolute fool to present this pandemics outcome as such. One final point, 1 in 5 people in the U.K. has an underlying health condition, in the elderly this is obviously vastly increased, it’s significance is far more minor than you portray, it’s not a given someone was on deaths door just because they have one.

spanish flue for one"

Check your medical history...

248,000 people died of Spanish flu, 130,000 have died of covid-19 (and counting).

Look at mortality rates between the 2 eras due to medical advances and you’ll clearly see for every 12 deaths then we would now only expect to have 1.

To put that into context, if we where treating covid-19 in 1917 we’d be on a tally of just over 1,500,000.

Logically, Covid-19 is a far more deadly and serious pandemic.

By *imited 3EditionCouple  over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"She must have food/prescriptions deliveries and such? Could be the delivery person?

But how horrible your mum not been out her door or had any one through it for so long. Hope she ok.

The lady isn't my Mum, she is a neighbour. I do her everyday shopping for her. If she wants anything, she phones me and I put my face mask on, go to her front door where she, also wearing a mask, hands me her little shopping list. When Ive got it for her, I knock on her front door and pop it inside the door when she opens it.She has her prescriptions delivered from a local pharmacy, the same driver every time. The pharmacy has 3 drivers and they each have a dedicated delivery round. She doesn't use Amazon or other online shopping as she doesn't want the bother of it as she puts it. She is 81 years old bless her. I've offered to take her out for a car ride to the coast but she says she isn't ready yet she might do soon though. The NHS app she has is the one that is alerting people. Her son put it on her phone for her early on when it first came out. He does phone her every day to find out how she is doing.

I don't profess to understand how/why/when these things work, all I know is that whatever is going on with the technical side of things it's causing chaos throughout the country and all sectors of business and industry.

Perhaps the Government needs to instruct the boffins to deeply analyse the inner workings of the app programme and see if anything is really wrong with it. There could be a simple reason why the app is sending pings out left, right and centre seemingly randomly."

Aww bless. And this is how a paradise is built from hell

» Add a new message to this topic