FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > US pulls the LFT

US pulls the LFT

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uysx2 OP   Couple (MM)  over a year ago

Birmingham

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has called the lateral flow Covid-19 test's reliability into question, telling people to stop using it.

The US has told its citizens to stop using the LFT, favoured by the British government, due to concerns about its performance.

People have been testing negative despite being positive.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has called the lateral flow Covid-19 test's reliability into question, telling people to stop using it.

The US has told its citizens to stop using the LFT, favoured by the British government, due to concerns about its performance.

People have been testing negative despite being positive."

This happened weeks ago:

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1514#:~:text=The%20FDA%20published%20a%20class,use%20of%20the%20tests%20may

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes.

Unfortunately, for better or worse, it's what we have available to us for asymptomatic screening.

If you know that they have flaws and use them as part of a multifaceted approach to minimising risk, I believe they still have utility. It's better than only relying on the PCR, particularly given strains on the system are beginning to show again

I was under the impression that the lft are more likely to pick up large viral load so is helpful at highlighting infectious people. Whereas pcr can pick up people who are not infectious.

Manchester (she/her)

"I was under the impression that the lft are more likely to pick up large viral load so is helpful at highlighting infectious people. Whereas pcr can pick up people who are not infectious."

The negative LFT says "you are likely not infectious"

Birmingham

"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has called the lateral flow Covid-19 test's reliability into question, telling people to stop using it.

This happened weeks ago:

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1514#:~:text=The%20FDA%20published%20a%20class,use%20of%20the%20tests%20may"

But very relevant today with some club's having the tests as one of their entry requirements.

By *ajobMan  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

But then again the US testing is very low especially compared to the UK so there test figures wont be very accurate...like alot of countries out there tbh

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

This happened weeks ago:

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1514#:~:text=The%20FDA%20published%20a%20class,use%20of%20the%20tests%20may

But very relevant today with some club's having the tests as one of their entry requirements."

Better as part of a programme to limit risk, with acknowledgement of the known limitations, so that there's no failure to understand that.

FDA banned kinder surprise from america they are clearly monsters. I've always doubted their accuracy but a cochrane review (the dogs balls of reviews) suggest they may be better than what some people give them credit for.

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD013705.pub2/full

I just skim read it but if interested on lft accuracy might be worth a read

Lft are not meant to be used if symptomatic. I have 2 friends that perform lft for work (different work places) who have had positive LFT this week - then followed up with positive PCR. They would have continued to work and spread virus if not for LFT. They are both now symptomatic but the LFT saved them 2 days of spreading the virus

"Lft are not meant to be used if symptomatic. I have 2 friends that perform lft for work (different work places) who have had positive LFT this week - then followed up with positive PCR. They would have continued to work and spread virus if not for LFT. They are both now symptomatic but the LFT saved them 2 days of spreading the virus "

This shows that the LFT have worth and are doing some good.

Even if they aren't always accurate.

We must remember that Covid will have originally started from just one person and ended up global. So in the scheme of things the prevention of virus spread by your 2 friends is actually very important. Replicate that across the country, and yes definitely LFT,s are helping prevent spread of virus

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Who cares what America are doing? We are not America

"Lft are not meant to be used if symptomatic. I have 2 friends that perform lft for work (different work places) who have had positive LFT this week - then followed up with positive PCR. They would have continued to work and spread virus if not for LFT. They are both now symptomatic but the LFT saved them 2 days of spreading the virus

We must remember that Covid will have originally started from just one person and ended up global. So in the scheme of things the prevention of virus spread by your 2 friends is actually very important. Replicate that across the country, and yes definitely LFT,s are helping prevent spread of virus "

Started from 1 person. Imagine how many people came into contact with that person and how many did they come into contact with, and how long was it before it was diagnosed.. Yet this deadly deadly virus found it way all around the world.. But couldn't find its way around China. Very clever virus I'd say.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"Lft are not meant to be used if symptomatic. I have 2 friends that perform lft for work (different work places) who have had positive LFT this week - then followed up with positive PCR. They would have continued to work and spread virus if not for LFT. They are both now symptomatic but the LFT saved them 2 days of spreading the virus

We must remember that Covid will have originally started from just one person and ended up global. So in the scheme of things the prevention of virus spread by your 2 friends is actually very important. Replicate that across the country, and yes definitely LFT,s are helping prevent spread of virus Started from 1 person. Imagine how many people came into contact with that person and how many did they come into contact with, and how long was it before it was diagnosed.. Yet this deadly deadly virus found it way all around the world.. But couldn't find its way around China. Very clever virus I'd say. "

Are you saying China had no cases of covid 19?!

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

We must remember that Covid will have originally started from just one person and ended up global. So in the scheme of things the prevention of virus spread by your 2 friends is actually very important. Replicate that across the country, and yes definitely LFT,s are helping prevent spread of virus Started from 1 person. Imagine how many people came into contact with that person and how many did they come into contact with, and how long was it before it was diagnosed.. Yet this deadly deadly virus found it way all around the world.. But couldn't find its way around China. Very clever virus I'd say. "

Latest reported cases in China;

Cases 92,462.

Recovered 87,163

Deaths 4,636

Bearing in mind an effective way of preventing Covid spread is a face mask and the vast majority of Chinese don't leave home without one.....

In a town Fab forgot

We must remember that Covid will have originally started from just one person and ended up global. So in the scheme of things the prevention of virus spread by your 2 friends is actually very important. Replicate that across the country, and yes definitely LFT,s are helping prevent spread of virus Started from 1 person. Imagine how many people came into contact with that person and how many did they come into contact with, and how long was it before it was diagnosed.. Yet this deadly deadly virus found it way all around the world.. But couldn't find its way around China. Very clever virus I'd say.

Are you saying China had no cases of covid 19?!"

He is and he's wrong.

"But then again the US testing is very low especially compared to the UK so there test figures wont be very accurate...like alot of countries out there tbh"

Don't test... don't get positive results.... figures stay low....

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

We must remember that Covid will have originally started from just one person and ended up global. So in the scheme of things the prevention of virus spread by your 2 friends is actually very important. Replicate that across the country, and yes definitely LFT,s are helping prevent spread of virus "

This

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

You were doing really really well.

Until your last 2 sentences.

E

By *evilandTheBeastCouple  over a year ago

Peterborough and Bedford

We are not arguing whether or not LFT tests are reliable. However, they are better than nothing. Devil gets tested at work, twice a week they do LFT test and then, on a Friday, they do PCR test as well. The original idea was that, as her workplace is closed at the weekends, PCR test would pick up any staff that may have just been infected who would not get flagged on LFT test as their viral load was too small for that test. It all worked well at first, with test results coming back no later than Sunday evening. However, for the last month or so, the results are coming later and later, the latest being early hours on a Wednesday. So if anyone was positive, they already had 2 working days spreading the virus (luckily, so far so good, nobody tested positive).

Conclusion- the workplace has to rely on LFT tests despite their lower accuracy.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

"Lft are not meant to be used if symptomatic. I have 2 friends that perform lft for work (different work places) who have had positive LFT this week - then followed up with positive PCR. They would have continued to work and spread virus if not for LFT. They are both now symptomatic but the LFT saved them 2 days of spreading the virus "

We have had the LFT pick up a few at work who have been asymptomatic and all have been been followed by a positive PCR.

They might not be 100% but its better than nothing.

Birmingham

I posted this because I overheard a conversation at the gym last night. One guy was telling another guy how a work colleague had taken a test and it was negative so he carried on working even though he had symptoms. His boss told him to take another test and it was negative.

I then looked into the reliability of the tests and found that article about the US.

It would appear that getting vacintanted is the only real solution.

Manchester (she/her)

"I posted this because I overheard a conversation at the gym last night. One guy was telling another guy how a work colleague had taken a test and it was negative so he carried on working even though he had symptoms. His boss told him to take another test and it was negative.

I then looked into the reliability of the tests and found that article about the US.

It would appear that getting vacintanted is the only real solution."

I mean working when you have symptoms is not particularly clever. And the tests say to only use when you don't have symptoms. If you do have symptoms, get a PCR.

Birmingham

"I posted this because I overheard a conversation at the gym last night. One guy was telling another guy how a work colleague had taken a test and it was negative so he carried on working even though he had symptoms. His boss told him to take another test and it was negative.

I mean working when you have symptoms is not particularly clever. And the tests say to only use when you don't have symptoms. If you do have symptoms, get a PCR."

If you take a test and it says negative what are you supposed to do!

Manchester (she/her)

I mean working when you have symptoms is not particularly clever. And the tests say to only use when you don't have symptoms. If you do have symptoms, get a PCR.

If you take a test and it says negative what are you supposed to do!"

The test says don't take a test if you have symptoms.

You take a PCR. You use tests as directed.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

It would appear that getting vacintanted is the only real solution."

I think this is the biggest issue. People think the lft is the same as a pcr.

If you have symptoms you need to get a pcr test and should not go to work at all until the results are back.

The lft tests are more for picking up on people who may be infectious but not have symptoms.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The issue with self testing is that lots don't do the test well enough. If you don't do it properly then the results will be less reliable

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Testing is a tool to spread fear.

I was reading of one state in Australia (sorry, can't remember which one) which has ramped up testing.

They did 8,000-plus tests and found 111 'cases'.

On that basis they have tightened lockdown for hundreds of thousands of people.

One man has died, aged 82.

Proportionate?

"Testing is a tool to spread fear.

I was reading of one state in Australia (sorry, can't remember which one) which has ramped up testing.

Proportionate?"

I’d say yes when you look what happened here and the majority of Europe.

Manchester (she/her)

"Testing is a tool to spread fear.

Proportionate?"

Preventing how many deaths by stopping the spread?

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

An LFT test is only as good as the person doing it, a lot of people just can’t follow instructions on just how to perform it.

You have to not eat or drink anything for 30 mins and get that swab all the way back to the tonsils and give it a good old rub around.

Anything less and you will get a false negative

We must remember that Covid will have originally started from just one person and ended up global. So in the scheme of things the prevention of virus spread by your 2 friends is actually very important. Replicate that across the country, and yes definitely LFT,s are helping prevent spread of virus Started from 1 person. Imagine how many people came into contact with that person and how many did they come into contact with, and how long was it before it was diagnosed.. Yet this deadly deadly virus found it way all around the world.. But couldn't find its way around China. Very clever virus I'd say.

Are you saying China had no cases of covid 19?!"

only in Wuhan.

Cases 92,462.

Recovered 87,163

Deaths 4,636

Bearing in mind an effective way of preventing Covid spread is a face mask and the vast majority of Chinese don't leave home without one.....they don't wear masks as soon as they come out. You need to stop watching BBC and Sky news..fear mongers

"

In a town Fab forgot

Are you saying China had no cases of covid 19?!only in Wuhan. "

Sorry, but that's bollocks.

You've now shifted from "no one in china caught Covid", to "only people in Wuhan caught it".

In a town Fab forgot

Cases 92,462.

Recovered 87,163

Deaths 4,636

Bearing in mind an effective way of preventing Covid spread is a face mask and the vast majority of Chinese don't leave home without one.....they don't wear masks as soon as they come out. You need to stop watching BBC and Sky news..fear mongers

"

Poor form to try and hide your reply inside someone else's quote marks and make it look like they made the comment, not you.

» Add a new message to this topic