FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Covid in Sydney: Military deployed to help enforce lockdown

Covid in Sydney: Military deployed to help enforce lockdown

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *J OP   Couple  over a year ago

Teesside

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-58021718

After 18 months of praise for Australias Zero covid policies its seems the Covid Delta is a game changer.

Now they are sending in Military to do patrols and enforce lock down in Sydney. Which has already endured 5 weeks of full lock down so far but it seems the Delta has taken hold and is still spreading.

Considering on 17% of Aussies are vaccinated its a scary time. They are also numerous protests taken place there.

KJ

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I find it interesting that 170 cases in a day, in a state of 7 million people is considered a failure by so many. (And yes, almost all of them are in greater Sydney. 170 cases in NSW today, greater Sydney has a population of 5.3 million people. My point stands)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

wander why so few vacinated?

Manchester (she/her)

"wander why so few vacinated?"

Supply issues of anything other than Oxford AZ (and to some extent of that vaccine as well). The authorities said after blood clots that they don't recommend Oxford AZ for anyone under 60.

They started the lockdown after a single death of an already sick 82 year old no wonder the public are sick of this shit

Manchester (she/her)

"They started the lockdown after a single death of an already sick 82 year old no wonder the public are sick of this shit"

And since then a perfectly healthy woman in her 30s died, amongst other things.

My family and friends in Sydney - it's where I was born and grew up - are completely in support of the lockdown. Hope this helps.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"They started the lockdown after a single death of an already sick 82 year old no wonder the public are sick of this shit"

And if we'd done the same 18 months ago we would have had 18 months of living normal lives.

Manchester (she/her)

"They started the lockdown after a single death of an already sick 82 year old no wonder the public are sick of this shit

And if we'd done the same 18 months ago we would have had 18 months of living normal lives."

Yes, I find it hilarious that people are jumping on the bandwagon of the poor oppressed Australians.

Less restrictions, less disruptions, less deaths, less economic damage, more freedom.

I weep, their lives are so terrible

Stockport

And my block list keeps getting even longer.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

"They started the lockdown after a single death of an already sick 82 year old no wonder the public are sick of this shit

And if we'd done the same 18 months ago we would have had 18 months of living normal lives."

Yes, this is a fact.

And if we'd done the same 18 months ago we would have had 18 months of living normal lives.

Yes, this is a fact."

Yes.

Outstanding.

In a largely fact-free, rumour-prominent, deliberate-false-information pandemic.

Face it, the troll pandemic has spread widely everywhere

I suppose its better to be safe then sorry. Looking at the bigger picture and all that.

By *aussageMan  over a year ago

Stalbridge

Medical police state. Total insanity. What next lockdowns for the flu?

Manchester (she/her)

"Medical police state. Total insanity. What next lockdowns for the flu?"

300 unarmed members of the military with no powers.

Help help tyranny they're so oppressed.

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

And my block list keeps getting even longer."

I like the optimism that you believe that will affect the blocked person in any shape or form.

"Medical police state. Total insanity. What next lockdowns for the flu?"
lock downs for climate change already discussed.. Re training of the human race taking place

By *anddXXXCouple  over a year ago

London

And my block list keeps getting even longer."

Thanks for letting us know.

By *isoCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

I like the optimism that you believe that will affect the blocked person in any shape or form. "

This Hahahaha

Take a look ate rebel news, a guy called Avi Yemeni I think, gives a view you don't see on Australian mainstream media.

Some of the police tactics seem a tad harsh

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's been managed far better there than here - no wonder so many more people here are so sick pf this shit.

It's restrictions or vaccines that we have to reduce the impacts of this. Australia has very low vaccination levels and supplies, so restrictions are the only other option to mitigate a worse crisis.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Medical police state. Total insanity. What next lockdowns for the flu?lock downs for climate change already discussed.. Re training of the human race taking place "

A few simple changes to behaviour and attitudes will make the world a better place for us all

Manchester (she/her)

This is the mood I'm getting from my many friends and family in Sydney.

https://youtu.be/SnBtOPUMyqU

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"Medical police state. Total insanity. What next lockdowns for the flu?lock downs for climate change already discussed.. Re training of the human race taking place

A few simple changes to behaviour and attitudes will make the world a better place for us all "

Obviously not for the ones whos behaviour and attitudes you want to change,everyones different thats what makes us so intresting.be pretty boring if we all thought and behaved the same way

Newcastle

"Medical police state. Total insanity. What next lockdowns for the flu?lock downs for climate change already discussed.. Re training of the human race taking place

A few simple changes to behaviour and attitudes will make the world a better place for us all "

What behaviour and attitudes ?

I like the optimism that you believe that will affect the blocked person in any shape or form. "

It is a strange phenomenon on here.

By *anddXXXCouple  over a year ago

London

I like the optimism that you believe that will affect the blocked person in any shape or form.

It is a strange phenomenon on here."

" I don't agree with what a stranger says, so I will block them and then I will proceed to inform some other strangers, so they know I blocked them" Proper weird behaviour. In what world does anyone think, people in general give a f**K who you block.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Newcastle

It is a strange phenomenon on here.

" I don't agree with what a stranger says, so I will block them and then I will proceed to inform some other strangers, so they know I blocked them" Proper weird behaviour. In what world does anyone think, people in general give a f**K who you block."

Stockport

I don't expect it to affect the blocked person in any way other than them being unable to look at my profile. However it does give me a handy list of people that I feel would be incompatible with me. The other advantage is that it allows me to pre-emptively block any chance of abusive messages from people that have identified themselves as being conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers, verbal abusers, transphobes, racists, misogynists, ableists, ageists, or whatever other reason I have blocked them for. These are the sort of people that have in the past sent me totally unsolicited abusive messages up to and including wishes that I would die, as far as I can tell purely because of the personal principles that I have at times voiced on these forums. [Note, I do not attach any particular one of these labels to any person in this thread, I just explain the reasons why I do block people.]

Manchester (she/her)

I hope that there aren't too many protesters tomorrow. Stay at home order means exactly that.

Newcastle

I don't expect it to affect the blocked person in any way other than them being unable to look at my profile. However it does give me a handy list of people that I feel would be incompatible with me. The other advantage is that it allows me to pre-emptively block any chance of abusive messages from people that have identified themselves as being conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers, verbal abusers, transphobes, racists, misogynists, ableists, ageists, or whatever other reason I have blocked them for. These are the sort of people that have in the past sent me totally unsolicited abusive messages up to and including wishes that I would die, as far as I can tell purely because of the personal principles that I have at times voiced on these forums. [Note, I do not attach any particular one of these labels to any person in this thread, I just explain the reasons why I do block people.]"

I still don't understand why you have to advertise the fact you have just blocked somebody.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I don't expect it to affect the blocked person in any way other than them being unable to look at my profile. However it does give me a handy list of people that I feel would be incompatible with me. The other advantage is that it allows me to pre-emptively block any chance of abusive messages from people that have identified themselves as being conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers, verbal abusers, transphobes, racists, misogynists, ableists, ageists, or whatever other reason I have blocked them for. These are the sort of people that have in the past sent me totally unsolicited abusive messages up to and including wishes that I would die, as far as I can tell purely because of the personal principles that I have at times voiced on these forums. [Note, I do not attach any particular one of these labels to any person in this thread, I just explain the reasons why I do block people.]

I still don't understand why you have to advertise the fact you have just blocked somebody."

And I don't understand why you are making such a fuss about it?

Newcastle

I still don't understand why you have to advertise the fact you have just blocked somebody.

"

I don't understand why you feel the need to comment

My post is not directed at you at all

Manchester (she/her)

"

Last I checked this was a free forum.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

I think the Australian situation proves how near impossible and damaging it is to completely contain the Delta variant. As soon as any restrictions lift it grows and even in full lockdown doesn't seem to go away. Plus even when all clear it's potential to multiply from outside exposure is staggering and globally it ain't going away. Maybe Australia needs to take a look at the ongoing trajectory and prioritising vacination and rebuilding over futile containment and continuing destruction of socio-economic life?

Newcastle

Last I checked this was a free forum."

Yay another one

Manchester (she/her)

"I think the Australian situation proves how near impossible and damaging it is to completely contain the Delta variant. As soon as any restrictions lift it grows and even in full lockdown doesn't seem to go away. Plus even when all clear it's potential to multiply from outside exposure is staggering and globally it ain't going away. Maybe Australia needs to take a look at the ongoing trajectory and prioritising vacination and rebuilding over futile containment and continuing destruction of socio-economic life?"

If they had the vaccine supplies it'd help.

Scotty from marketing (prime minister) done fucked up.

By *un_couple8178Couple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

This is the issue now Australia have, in a way they have backed themselves into a corner. There is a lot of people in Aus who are saying they won’t have the vaccine. There won’t be any natural immunity within the population so they either lockdown pretty much forever keeping their borders closed or Koenig up meaning it will spread.

They are now feeling the economic effects and it looks like they could be heading for another recession. People seem to be holding Australia up as how to beat this virus but their policies could have far reaching consequences.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Yes, I find it hilarious that people are jumping on the bandwagon of the poor oppressed Australians.

Less restrictions, less disruptions, less deaths, less economic damage, more freedom.

I weep, their lives are so terrible "

Still 29k recorded infections today is great news right?

By *ustSomeDarkieMan  over a year ago

Salford

I support freedoms over security

Security comes with a price, freedoms without coercion gives you real options

It's too. Top. Down orders

Stockport

I still don't understand why you have to advertise the fact you have just blocked somebody."

Where did I say that I blocked any specific person? I merely made a comment that my block list was getting longer, then later clarified that I tend to block people who have social views that I find disagreeable. I assume that there will be people on fab that disagree with my views, and would block me to prevent me communicating with them.

Newcastle

Where did I say that I blocked any specific person? I merely made a comment that my block list was getting longer, then later clarified that I tend to block people who have social views that I find disagreeable. I assume that there will be people on fab that disagree with my views, and would block me to prevent me communicating with them."

So you won't debate with people who dont see the world through your eyes?

Tin town

"

So much that is not understood...

Tin town

"I think the Australian situation proves how near impossible and damaging it is to completely contain the Delta variant. As soon as any restrictions lift it grows and even in full lockdown doesn't seem to go away. Plus even when all clear it's potential to multiply from outside exposure is staggering and globally it ain't going away. Maybe Australia needs to take a look at the ongoing trajectory and prioritising vacination and rebuilding over futile containment and continuing destruction of socio-economic life?"

I'm sure our Australian relatives will be watching closely the success of the UK management.

Newcastle

So much that is not understood... "

The crux is someone blocked somebody else and felt the need to broadcast it

Manchester (she/her)

"This is the issue now Australia have, in a way they have backed themselves into a corner. There is a lot of people in Aus who are saying they won’t have the vaccine. There won’t be any natural immunity within the population so they either lockdown pretty much forever keeping their borders closed or Koenig up meaning it will spread.

They are now feeling the economic effects and it looks like they could be heading for another recession. People seem to be holding Australia up as how to beat this virus but their policies could have far reaching consequences."

How many deaths in Australia, versus how many in the UK, again?

And last I checked Australia was doing much better economically than the UK. With less disease. And more freedom.

But sure. The narrative that Australia is screwed comforts some, so knock yourself out.

(They are in trouble on vaccine supplies, with Oxford being the only one available in any numbers, and not being recommended under 60. Still, they largely have their lives as normal, with very limited disease burden, and they clamp down on outbreaks then return to normal life)

Manchester (she/her)

"I think the Australian situation proves how near impossible and damaging it is to completely contain the Delta variant. As soon as any restrictions lift it grows and even in full lockdown doesn't seem to go away. Plus even when all clear it's potential to multiply from outside exposure is staggering and globally it ain't going away. Maybe Australia needs to take a look at the ongoing trajectory and prioritising vacination and rebuilding over futile containment and continuing destruction of socio-economic life?

I'm sure our Australian relatives will be watching closely the success of the UK management. "

They are, and they're baffled, horrified, and dismayed.

Tin town

The crux is someone blocked somebody else and felt the need to broadcast it "

As nick Lowe wrote... What's so funny about peace love and understanding.....

Manchester (she/her)

The crux is someone blocked somebody else and felt the need to broadcast it "

And the dogpile was pretty nasty too, but people don't like to pick on someone when they're not on their own

By *hrobbermanMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

In Victoria State there hasn't been more than one death per day 'with' Covid since last October. They have had a 7-day average death rate of Zero (ie. nil, none, 0) for the last ten months except for 2 weeks where it reached one death per week. The population is 6.7 Million people.

Those unfortunate death stats are of course over 80's with terminal cancer and heart disease. But since last October those two people who have died also tested positive for Covid within 28 days of their death.

The army are going to have to work really hard to win hearts and minds with this state of affairs.

Tin town

"This is the issue now Australia have, in a way they have backed themselves into a corner. There is a lot of people in Aus who are saying they won’t have the vaccine. There won’t be any natural immunity within the population so they either lockdown pretty much forever keeping their borders closed or Koenig up meaning it will spread.

They are now feeling the economic effects and it looks like they could be heading for another recession. People seem to be holding Australia up as how to beat this virus but their policies could have far reaching consequences.

And last I checked Australia was doing much better economically than the UK. With less disease. And more freedom.

But sure. The narrative that Australia is screwed comforts some, so knock yourself out.

(They are in trouble on vaccine supplies, with Oxford being the only one available in any numbers, and not being recommended under 60. Still, they largely have their lives as normal, with very limited disease burden, and they clamp down on outbreaks then return to normal life)"

Yeah but they have sharks

"Medical police state. Total insanity. What next lockdowns for the flu?

300 unarmed members of the military with no powers.

Help help tyranny they're so oppressed."

How do you expose a 77th?

Manchester (she/her)

"In Victoria State there hasn't been more than one death per day 'with' Covid since last October. They have had a 7-day average death rate of Zero (ie. nil, none, 0) for the last ten months except for 2 weeks where it reached one death per week. The population is 6.7 Million people.

Those unfortunate death stats are of course over 80's with terminal cancer and heart disease. But since last October those two people who have died also tested positive for Covid within 28 days of their death.

The army are going to have to work really hard to win hearts and minds with this state of affairs."

So... This army deployment is largely in western Sydney. Which is over 300 miles from the Victorian border.

As the outbreak is in New South Wales.

Like china?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

(They are in trouble on vaccine supplies, with Oxford being the only one available in any numbers, and not being recommended under 60. Still, they largely have their lives as normal, with very limited disease burden, and they clamp down on outbreaks then return to normal life)"

Stockport

They are now feeling the economic effects and it looks like they could be heading for another recession. People seem to be holding Australia up as how to beat this virus but their policies could have far reaching consequences."

Bit like there's a lot of people in this country saying they won't have the vaccine, and holding back our recovery.

I suppose though that Australians are starting to worry about the impact on their economy. It must be very damaging to have had no interruption to their international trade (well they seem to have had no problems getting their wine here throughout), to have had only short periods of lockdowns in targeted areas, to have had hospitals that are not haemorrhaging money trying to keep hundreds of thousands of very sick people alive, to not have blown £37 billion on an unfit for purpose test and trace system, to not have had to pay tens of millions of people to not work, to not have had billions of pounds given to friends of cabinet ministers for contracts the details of which are still being kept secret.

Yes I suppose that Australia might be heading for a bit of a recession, but that's maybe slightly preferable than having bankrupted the country to a point where it will take three generations to pay back all the money that has been borrowed and wasted. Yes Australia's policies regarding covid very likely will have far reaching consequences, in that they will recovery prosperity many years before the United Kingdom ever does.

Manchester (she/her)

Bit like there's a lot of people in this country saying they won't have the vaccine, and holding back our recovery.

I suppose though that Australians are starting to worry about the impact on their economy. It must be very damaging to have had no interruption to their international trade (well they seem to have had no problems getting their wine here throughout), to have had only short periods of lockdowns in targeted areas, to have had hospitals that are not haemorrhaging money trying to keep hundreds of thousands of very sick people alive, to not have blown £37 billion on an unfit for purpose test and trace system, to not have had to pay tens of millions of people to not work, to not have had billions of pounds given to friends of cabinet ministers for contracts the details of which are still being kept secret.

Yes I suppose that Australia might be heading for a bit of a recession, but that's maybe slightly preferable than having bankrupted the country to a point where it will take three generations to pay back all the money that has been borrowed and wasted. Yes Australia's policies regarding covid very likely will have far reaching consequences, in that they will recovery prosperity many years before the United Kingdom ever does."

And, you know, a national death rate less than a sixth of greater Manchester and less total cases than our presumed long Covid.

Yup, they're in trouble app right

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Yes I suppose that Australia might be heading for a bit of a recession, but that's maybe slightly preferable than having bankrupted the country to a point where it will take three generations to pay back all the money that has been borrowed and wasted. Yes Australia's policies regarding covid very likely will have far reaching consequences, in that they will recovery prosperity many years before the United Kingdom ever does."

Yes but I'm sure the clown will be along with another 3 word empty slogan any time now

Stockport

Where did I say that I blocked any specific person? I merely made a comment that my block list was getting longer, then later clarified that I tend to block people who have social views that I find disagreeable. I assume that there will be people on fab that disagree with my views, and would block me to prevent me communicating with them.

So you won't debate with people who dont see the world through your eyes?"

Might, might not. Is there any law that says I have to? There are times that I recognise some posts have moved so far away from reality that there is no longer any point in even trying to debate. It is the writers of those sort of posts that I generally block, due to past experience of them being exactly the sort of person to then start sending me abusive direct messages.

Manchester (she/her)

(They are in trouble on vaccine supplies, with Oxford being the only one available in any numbers, and not being recommended under 60. Still, they largely have their lives as normal, with very limited disease burden, and they clamp down on outbreaks then return to normal life)

Yeah but they have sharks "

Quality

Manchester (she/her)

Meanwhile, the view of Sydney, from Sydney: not doing enough to stop the spread, should lock down harder.

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/nsw/gladys-berejiklian-must-stop-playing-catch-up-with-covid-19-20210730-p58ehi.html?__twitter_impression=true

By *ustforfun49Man  over a year ago

chesterfield

Perhaps if more of them had the vaccine it wouldn't be as bad very low percentage of people get a blood clot then get covid.

Manchester (she/her)

"Perhaps if more of them had the vaccine it wouldn't be as bad very low percentage of people get a blood clot then get covid. "

Yes, vaccination is an issue, but vaccination supply is an issue

Manchester (she/her)

Among average Sydneysiders, the strength of feeling about this tyrannical lockdown was made known in the almighty protest rally in central Sydney today.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-31/man-linked-to-sydney-anti-lockdown-covid-protests-arrested/100339936

Stockport

"Among average Sydneysiders, the strength of feeling about this tyrannical lockdown was made known in the almighty protest rally in central Sydney today.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-31/man-linked-to-sydney-anti-lockdown-covid-protests-arrested/100339936"

I liked the bit about the police horses getting a quiet day out in the park munching grass. That was nice for them.

By *hrobbermanMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"In Victoria State there hasn't been more than one death per day 'with' Covid since last October. They have had a 7-day average death rate of Zero (ie. nil, none, 0) for the last ten months except for 2 weeks where it reached one death per week. The population is 6.7 Million people.

The army are going to have to work really hard to win hearts and minds with this state of affairs.

So... This army deployment is largely in western Sydney. Which is over 300 miles from the Victorian border.

As the outbreak is in New South Wales."

Exactly.

In NSW one lady in her 90's had died within 28 days of a positive Covid test. And there have been 177 people testing positive out of 8.8 Million people.

Manchester (she/her)

As the outbreak is in New South Wales.

Exactly.

In NSW one lady in her 90's had died within 28 days of a positive Covid test. And there have been 177 people testing positive out of 8.8 Million people.

The army are going to have to work really hard to win hearts and minds with this state of affairs."

So you're quoting a different state to support your argument. Victorian statistics have fuck all to do with what's happening in New South Wales. Maybe we should use Glaswgian statistics to inform policy in Birmingham. It makes just as much sense.

It's only the old dying in New South Wales, huh?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-26/nsw-covid-victim-identified-as-adriana-midori-takara/100322722

38. No underlying conditions. So ancient. So weak

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

I read they stepped up testing and, as a result, found more 'cases'.

Downright overreaction. People should hang when this is all over

Manchester (she/her)

The testing does have some upsides.

People have been saying for a long time that the rate of false positives in PCRs is unacceptable and is driving this scamdemic.

Given the high rate of testing in New South Wales at the moment, we can see the outrageous, scandalous explosion in false positives leading people to cower away because Big Pharma are using tests inappropriately for nefarious ends.

If we assume they're all false positives, that gives us a sense of how exaggerated this pandemic is.

8pm 30 July is the latest available. 212 cases, 105963 tests performed, within 24 hours.

Assuming that all cases in New South Wales are a lie, this gives us a staggering, pandemic changing, these liars should be prosecuted sky high figure of... 0.2%.

And that's if the test is 100% unreliable.

Earth shattering, huh?

Stockport

"I read they stepped up testing and, as a result, found more 'cases'.

Downright overreaction. People should hang when this is all over"

Terrible isn't it. By doing a lot of testing very quickly, they identified a small number of people showing positive. The rather effective NSW tracing system can now find the limited number of contacts of each of these, the cases and contacts can isolate for a couple of weeks, and then the NSW outbreak will be over. Because of fast work, including use of army to supplement civilian workers, there is every chance of a happy conclusion where sick people can receive the hospital treatment they need, hopefully without any fatalities. No overloading of hospitals, no "pinging" of millions of contacts paralysing the country, no vast sums having to be spent on furlough payments. I rather expect that Wednesday evening the good people of Sydney will be on their doorsteps clapping to thank the efforts of soldiers and everybody else involved.

If only the United Kingdom had reacted similarly during our first outbreaks, maybe through the last 18 months we would have all been able to enjoy the same type of relative freedom that the Australian population has had. Maybe people in the UK government should be brought to justice when this is all over?

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

"Maybe people in the UK government should be brought to justice when this is all over?

"

Pigs will fly before that happens. Despite all this, the clownshow will still go on to win the next general election

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"Maybe people in the UK government should be brought to justice when this is all over?

Pigs will fly before that happens. Despite all this, the clownshow will still go on to win the next general election "

And that was lucky for matt not been the secretary of state and health anymore.

Off Scott free

» Add a new message to this topic