FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Human race, lucky this time?

Human race, lucky this time?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Bear with...

Ok look millions have died and probably more still will.

Many have had life changing effects from the virus myself included.

BUT I think we have gotten off reasonably lucky considering we were pretty much caught with our pants down and totally unprepared.

Yes I'm sure the families and friends of the dead won't agree and honestly my heart goes out to them as I was pretty close to being a statistic also.

But if you think about it had this virus had a higher mortality rate even a few percent higher I think we would have been in total chaos, completely overwhelmed and unable to cope and deaths in the hundreds of millions.

I pray that we won't see the likes of it again in our lifetime but with an ever growing worldwide population chance's are it's highly likely.

So if anything possibly good that may have come from this is governments being better prepared and have better action plans in place.

R.I.P to those who have passed and peace and love to all.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I hope you're right. I hope we learn from this.

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

It's estimated that the planet can sustain between 1.5-2bn people. There are over 6bn...

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Exactly this. If it had happened to be a virus with a longer asymptomatic infectious period, then a higher fatality rate, it could have quickly wiped out a substantial proportion of the human race. The knock on effects in failure of all sorts of essential services could easily then double, triple or more the overall death count.

It's not just that we were unprepared, but that a substantial number were (and still are) actively working against any preparedness. [I'll leave it to others to spell out some of the many failings]. Looking back over the last 18 months I have little faith in many governments performing better next time, because the ones that have been most useless are still getting it wrong with this existing pandemic. If and when something even worse comes along we will see denial, delay, deceit, distress, destruction, despair and death.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

personaly i think we are doomed to die of something like this, we live to close together and have an aging population, im sure some will survive but not many, its natures way of culling us, and tbh we need it, or the world does

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

You’d like to think that next time the UK Govt runs something like Operation Cygnus they actually take note and action the recommendations rather than ignoring them and pretending it won’t ever happen.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

You're right, we have been fortunate. Things could have been so much worse. I sense some would prefer to forget about learning and trust their superior selves

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

History will tell you that unfortunately we have never learnt from our mistakes.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

To be honest, we shouldn't have been "caught with out pants down" at all. The modern world have been doing planning and preparedness exercises for decades to ensure that we're never caught unawares.

Cal

By *ombikerMan  over a year ago

the right side of the river

A virus like Ebola that kills the host quickly tends to burn itself out quickly as it doesn’t get a chance to spread that far. 2 weeks quarantine in the area works well as you either died or recovered.

But a virus with a long incubation period means you can travel far from the source before falling ill and if infectious then can be spread far and wide.

The most “successful” diseases tend not to be deadly as that gets rid of its host and thus dies out itself.

Stupidly was not a huge problem until modern times, if you were an idiot then you would probably die doing something stupid and other people would see it and learn not to do the same.

But with idiot proof health and safety regulations these days, idiots have flourished.

There is a movie called idiocracy which is a spoof comedy but hmmm seems to be not far from the truth.

Anyway I started off serious and kind of drifted into a tongue in cheek rant.

I might have to get a rocking chair and pipe if l keep this up.

Listen here sonny, in my day people were glad of death, it was the only peace and quite we got.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Politicians here tend to be very short sighted, often just to get reelected, so learning and longer term planning doesn't get sufficient focus. The huge collaborative teams around the world are our best bet, as their recorded evidence will live on, as will some research.

Johnson hadn't even read the operation Cygnus report, after the last mock run, months after the pandemic started

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

"I hope you're right. I hope we learn from this."

No we never will

Research into dangerous viruses and bacteria is important, but for the deadliest pathogens, it’s not clear the benefits are worth the risks.

3 outbreaks in uk

1977:a research laboratory, one of a handful where smallpox was studied by scientists who were trying to contribute to the eradication effort. Some papers reported that the lab was badly mismanaged, with important precautions ignored because of haste. (The doctor who ran the lab died by suicide shortly after Parker was diagnosed.) Somehow, smallpox escaped the lab to infect an employee elsewhere in the building.

Then we have animal testing in other countrys.

Live animal escapes from labs all that can contain a deadly virus released by animal activist.

I dont agree on live animal testing but sometime we have to do to see the results that you cant see when there dead.

Otherwise you might as well start clone testing but does a clone have any rights or not?

"

So if anything possibly good that may have come from this is governments being better prepared and have better action plans in place.

R.I.P to those who have passed and peace and love to all."

One thing that govts have learnt from this: It is possible to kill thousands with no effects upon them.

I'd like to point-out that a pandemic situation was modelled in 2016[ish] which was supposed to allow for the effective operation of health and social services under pandemic conditions. That went well?

The requirement for stocks of PPE for the health services was shown....but not initialised. that failure by the health administrators, from the health dept down to local services, directly led to the deaths of hundreds of health service staff.

The worlds population continues to grow, the resources to sustain that population do not.

I doubt that politicians, worldwide, have not noted the ease with which the population problem can be solved.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Gaia rebalancing. There will be more virus pandemics and more virulent and deadly too.

By *heAlphaMongoloidMan  over a year ago

Blackburn

"Bear with...

BUT I think we have gotten off reasonably lucky considering we were pretty much caught with our pants down and totally unprepared.

Yes I'm sure the families and friends of the dead won't agree and honestly my heart goes out to them as I was pretty close to being a statistic also.

But if you think about it had this virus had a higher mortality rate even a few percent higher I think we would have been in total chaos, completely overwhelmed and unable to cope and deaths in the hundreds of millions.

I pray that we won't see the likes of it again in our lifetime but with an ever growing worldwide population chance's are it's highly likely.

Money

Corruption will not go away as long as people can make obscene profits and the money system exists.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

Fortunately for them and maybe not for the rest of us the government stepped in the save the stupid people in society that were incapable of looking after themselves.

Maybe we've all learned a lesson going forward.

"It's estimated that the planet can sustain between 1.5-2bn people. There are over 6bn..."

all of this!!!

"personaly i think we are doomed to die of something like this, we live to close together and have an aging population, im sure some will survive but not many, its natures way of culling us, and tbh we need it, or the world does"

I kind of agree with this message I have a feeling it’s bound to happen at some point with how things are going, either that or we auto-detonate ourselves cos we are that stupid

Blackburn

"Fortunately for them and maybe not for the rest of us the government stepped in the save the stupid people in society that were incapable of looking after themselves.

Maybe we've all learned a lesson going forward."

There's some truth in that.

Some people cant look after themselves

But for some of those ... what can you say? A lifelong indoctrination of crap and led many here.

If only they promoted healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition like that have the last 18 months with covid. But then again

.. no money with healthy people

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"personaly i think we are doomed to die of something like this, we live to close together and have an aging population, im sure some will survive but not many, its natures way of culling us, and tbh we need it, or the world does"
be it a microscopic virus or a massive lump of rock ploughing into us its just a matter of when not if its gona happen,the human race has nearly been wiped out a few times in the planets history only difference now is we think we are inteligent enough to stop it happening.cpl of thousand years ago they would of been sacrificing there first born to calm there gods,

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"personaly i think we are doomed to die of something like this, we live to close together and have an aging population, im sure some will survive but not many, its natures way of culling us, and tbh we need it, or the world doesbe it a microscopic virus or a massive lump of rock ploughing into us its just a matter of when not if its gona happen,the human race has nearly been wiped out a few times in the planets history only difference now is we think we are inteligent enough to stop it happening.cpl of thousand years ago they would of been sacrificing there first born to calm there gods,"

Well to play devil's advocate.

You could say that we "society and the powers that be" have been sacrificing the elderly and vulnerable during the pandemic?

"personaly i think we are doomed to die of something like this, we live to close together and have an aging population, im sure some will survive but not many, its natures way of culling us, and tbh we need it, or the world doesbe it a microscopic virus or a massive lump of rock ploughing into us its just a matter of when not if its gona happen,the human race has nearly been wiped out a few times in the planets history only difference now is we think we are inteligent enough to stop it happening.cpl of thousand years ago they would of been sacrificing there first born to calm there gods,

Well to play devil's advocate.

You could say that we "society and the powers that be" have been sacrificing the elderly and vulnerable during the pandemic?"

Society was locked down to protect the elderly and vunerable, so I disagree with your comment.

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan  over a year ago

City

We were prepared. We locked down several SARS outbreaks before.

We have a habit of letting govt tell us to ignore good science and listen to bad science. So we didn't lock down when every paper you will find before 2019 says SARS and covid should be contained at all costs.

"Fortunately for them and maybe not for the rest of us the government stepped in the save the stupid people in society that were incapable of looking after themselves.

Maybe we've all learned a lesson going forward.

There's some truth in that.

Some people cant look after themselves

But for some of those ... what can you say? A lifelong indoctrination of crap and led many here.

If only they promoted healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition like that have the last 18 months with covid. But then again

.. no money with healthy people"

They are always promoting healthy lifestyles and trying to promote health enhancing behaviours. Research is constantly being done. There are several interventions being rolled out some work and others dont

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

"It's estimated that the planet can sustain between 1.5-2bn people. There are over 6bn...

all of this!!! "

Genuinely curious about what _you_ would actually do to reduce population numbers if you were in charge?

It seems like it is easy to grandstand but I am not sure any meaningful measure to reduce population growth would be remotely palatable.

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

"It's estimated that the planet can sustain between 1.5-2bn people. There are over 6bn...

all of this!!!

Genuinely curious about what _you_ would actually do to reduce population numbers if you were in charge?

It seems like it is easy to grandstand but I am not sure any meaningful measure to reduce population growth would be remotely palatable."

Any answers will come from mother nature not mankind.

After what we have been doing to the planet covid19 is likely to be the first of many steps taken by nature to readdress the balance during the 21st Century.

Reminds me of Agent Smith in The Matrix

"Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed. The only way for you to survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus"

KJ

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan  over a year ago

City

all of this!!! "

Well the estimate was wrong, as there has been happily more than 2bn for a long time. So clearly can sustain more.

Blackburn

all of this!!!

Well the estimate was wrong, as there has been happily more than 2bn for a long time. So clearly can sustain more."

100%

By *ackandtheunicornCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

all of this!!!

Well the estimate was wrong, as there has been happily more than 2bn for a long time. So clearly can sustain more.

100%"

Did you not notice the depletion of all resources, pretty much complete destruction of nature and the little thing called global warming ?

Just because it can sustain us now doesnt mean is sustainable for anytime. Weve only been overpopulated for around 70years which is insignificant in the life of the earth.

By *callycatMan  over a year ago

Mid Wales

all of this!!!

100%"

Happily?...not sure I would describe the effect of our current population as a happy level. It's two or three times the sustainable carrying capacity of the planet, we are filling the air with our waste CO2, altering the climate, the oceans with plastic waste, we are in the middle of a mass species extinction event caused by our ever growing need for dwindling space and resources, all global fisheries are depleted, loss of soil through intensification of agriculture and soil erosion, increased desertification, increasing conflict between cultural groups, the constant threat of emergent new viruses is just one more symptom of the unhappy state we have bred ourselves into.

Blackburn

all of this!!!

100%

Happily?...not sure I would describe the effect of our current population as a happy level. It's two or three times the sustainable carrying capacity of the planet, we are filling the air with our waste CO2, altering the climate, the oceans with plastic waste, we are in the middle of a mass species extinction event caused by our ever growing need for dwindling space and resources, all global fisheries are depleted, loss of soil through intensification of agriculture and soil erosion, increased desertification, increasing conflict between cultural groups, the constant threat of emergent new viruses is just one more symptom of the unhappy state we have bred ourselves into.

"

Theres loads of land everywhere. Take a train to london. Take a plane to Dubai. Land everywhere.

Threat of emerging viruses... it's funny because I would assume the government to have proof and evidence. Stamped and signed by the relative authorities and MP. But as yet... they have presented none.

Sad really .. I'm sure if they can ever produce any... proper government approved documentation... anti cancers should disappear.

Blackburn

Anti vaxxer.

Auto correct

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"You’d like to think that next time the UK Govt runs something like Operation Cygnus they actually take note and action the recommendations rather than ignoring them and pretending it won’t ever happen. "

So if the government do action it and tax doubles will they still be in government.

We need more hospitals police and all services but do we want to pay for it that is the big question.

How would vote for a climit tax on flights of 50%

Fule gas electric 25%

Clothing 15%

Meet 10%

ETC

This would be on top of current tax would you change you life.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

all of this!!!

100%

"

By *callycatMan  over a year ago

Mid Wales

all of this!!!

100%

Theres loads of land everywhere. Take a train to london. Take a plane to Dubai. Land everywhere.

Threat of emerging viruses... it's funny because I would assume the government to have proof and evidence. Stamped and signed by the relative authorities and MP. But as yet... they have presented none.

Sad really .. I'm sure if they can ever produce any... proper government approved documentation... anti cancers should disappear."

That land you can see is where we grow food, release oxygen, generate energy, mine for minerals, produce timber, bury our waste...and our dead...it's where the rest of the biosphere lives. We could continuously concrete it over but that would hasten our own extinction

By *trideMan  over a year ago

Plymouth

Dear Aliens,

Thank you for your attempt to exterminate the human vermin. Unfortunately, they seem to be hardier than you envisaged.

We all wish you the very best of luck with your next, and hopefully final, attempt.

Best wishes,

All of other life on Earth.

Many comments presume it's over & we survived.

Through numerous sources I can't say there's been any confirmation this virus has actually been beaten & a permanent cure has been discovered.

Guess we'll all see what the future has for us so lets not throw caution to the wind just yet..

And NO i'm not stirring shit or scaremongering. Let's be on our guard & continue to practice certain safeguards for ourselves, our families, friends & everyone else. Those of you who don't want to, well that's your choice, we all have the freewill to do so but keep a close watch on what happens as time moves on. There's no harm in doing so.

By *heNaturistCoupleCouple  over a year ago

crewe

all of this!!!

100%

"

Nihilism is as infectious as a virus.

You only have to investigate world demographics for half a day to realise there's practically no humans left in 150-250 years anyhow.

There's 196 countries on earth and about 15 with a birth rate above the replacement rate of 2.2.

Nowhere in the West, not China, not India, not Brasil, just a handful of African countries.

Three to five generations of deaths and we'll be at little as a few hundred million on the entire planet.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

We've fucked up a planet in a few hundred years.

Why we honestly believe we are some form of sophisticated band of beings with the right to treat the world as we feel fit and then whine and bluster when things go a bit pearshaped.

How we've lasted this long is a miracle.

But, I do have hope.

I'm so impressed with the young people at work.

Thay are bright, forward thinking and confident, sometimes a bit too confident but nevertheless I feel they are a glimmer of hope.

It's easy to look for bad in our young generation. If you look for bad you'll find it but look around the corner you'll find a highly educated, ambitious, thoughtful bunch.

We could be in safe hands.

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

"We've fucked up a planet in a few hundred years.

Why we honestly believe we are some form of sophisticated band of beings with the right to treat the world as we feel fit and then whine and bluster when things go a bit pearshaped.

But, I do have hope.

Thay are bright, forward thinking and confident, sometimes a bit too confident but nevertheless I feel they are a glimmer of hope.

It's easy to look for bad in our young generation. If you look for bad you'll find it but look around the corner you'll find a highly educated, ambitious, thoughtful bunch.

We could be in safe hands. "

You are ambitious with those thoughts!

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"It's estimated that the planet can sustain between 1.5-2bn people. There are over 6bn..."

The vast majority of these were at Alton Towers yesterday

merseyside

But, I do have hope.

You are ambitious with those thoughts! "

Maybe, but then again you have to be positive and I can only comment on the younger people who work in my industry.

"Bear with...

I said this ages ago and got slaughtered for it we are very lucky we live in this medical age and that the virus that got loose wasnt as vicious as some others from history

But, I do have hope.

We could be in safe hands. "

The planet isn't fucked, it was here long before us and will be here long after. Its us that are fucked.

merseyside

But, I do have hope.

The planet isn't fucked, it was here long before us and will be here long after. Its us that are fucked. "

Ok, thanks for your input.

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

"Bear with...

I have to agree, the next one might be a lot worse, and have a much higher death rate and have no mitigating factors such as age or health. The way we live so close and interacting all the time means it's only a matter of time a virus catches us and hits without prejudice

By *iss SinWoman  over a year ago

portchester

I don’t think we got lucky at all with such a high death rate?

"I don’t think we got lucky at all with such a high death rate?"

The death rate last year with no vacine still did not go above 2003 death rate. This year it has so far been an extremely low death rate.

What we didn't get lucky with is the political policies.

By *omerset tvTV/TS  over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

Bet China are thinking well they have this virus under control lets manufacure the next one

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

But, I do have hope.

The planet isn't fucked, it was here long before us and will be here long after. Its us that are fucked. "

Mother nature will definitely rewrite our wrongs and put things back into balance. It may take many thousands of years to do but to her that is a the blink of an eye (the last ice age wasn't that long ago relatively). She won't give two shits about the cost to humans when she does it either.

Either we contuine to behave like a virus consuming every resource we can at unsustainable rates or we find a way to live in harmony with our planet.

Let's hope our children's generation do better than us. There are many of then that do give me hope but given they will inherited a total shitshow from us their work will be cut out.

KJ

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

"I don’t think we got lucky at all with such a high death rate?"

I agree, every death is still one too many, but given there are and have been some very deadly virus throughout the human race. If one thing it has shown us, if one such does come about we have very little power to stop it, given how covid spread so easily and quickly.

Also the figure the government were talking about at the start we incomprehensible and seems stuff out of horror films, but here we are 18 months later and we are (I'm guilty too) of acceptance of the daily death rates now.

It has been a tough time for all, let's hope we can start to see the back of it all

"(the last ice age wasn't that long ago relatively)"

The Earth is still in an ice-age.

This is the inter-glacial (the warm bit in the middle) period, the Holocence.

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

Yep there are way to many of us and until we face upto it and start to change our ways we will continue to face pandemics and massive changes to our climate as we continue to strip our planet to try to meet our ever increasing needs.

"Bet China are thinking well they have this virus under control lets manufacure the next one "

Yes but the corrupt politicians funded it and knew it was going on, all out in Congress watch live feeds, known that these test have been going for a far back as 2004, ask fauci, greed greed greed and lies from big corp and politicians lining their own pockets, we are collateral as there are in any war… no Covid in an ivory tower it seems….

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

"Bear with...

This was the trial run. The initial death rate was relatively low for Covid and thankfully has only recently become more transmissible.

A pathogen with a 10% death per case rate with high transmissibility could really cause widespread death v quickly.

No health service in the world could cope with these levels of dead- so it begs the question or probability of having to adopt an elimination strategy at 10% death rate.

Are there such potential pathogens out there with that capability

MERs, SARS1,Nipah,Hendra.

At least Ebola is not airborne.

By *irtyold manMan  over a year ago

barnsley

Old saying those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it

This will all hapen again with the same mistakes

By *nly DickCouple (MM)  over a year ago

chichester

"History will tell you that unfortunately we have never learnt from our mistakes. "

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

Thanos had a point

Blackburn

"History will tell you that unfortunately we have never learnt from our mistakes.

"

I doubt it. As history gets rewritten. And has been re-written.

» Add a new message to this topic