FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Would you support some restrictions coming back?

Would you support some restrictions coming back?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

First of all let me stress I am not talking about lockdowns!!! So please let us not go there…

So for example… I would fully support the social distancing restrictions

I would support mask mandate on public transport…

I would support restrictions on capacity for large events… let’s say 50%

Just a slight slow down as I don’t think “no rules but suggestions” isn’t working

So what would you support?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No, I wouldn’t support any of that.

By *andsCouple  over a year ago

Edin

We still have certain restrictions but our numbers are rising so where does it end

Not at all, we've just got to live with it.

Death counts are low, lets crack on

By *viatrixWoman  over a year ago

Back in Gatwick!

No, I wouldn’t.

No I wouldn't.

Too many people are suffering very mentally already.

It's time to start living with the virus.

When I go out atm, hardly anyone is speaking to strangers.

The country is quite fucked socially, without more restrictions coming back.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

The main thing I would support is compulsory mask wearing on public transport. A lot of people have no choice but to use including a lot of older people. To be honest if you are not going to shut the schools every other measure isn't going to make enough of a difference.

"First of all let me stress I am not talking about lockdowns!!! So please let us not go there…

Just a slight slow down as I don’t think “no rules but suggestions” isn’t working

So what would you support? "

No. Absolutely none.

Furthermore, I would mandate that certain things return to normal - such as hospital visiting (in non Covid wards)

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

No

Popular then

By *ioloCouple  over a year ago

Basingstoke

No

By *implynaughty1Couple  over a year ago

stockport

Piss of not a chance

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Masks.because cases are rising rapidly in certain parts of the UK And consideration still need to be taken for the vulnerable or those who are unable to vaccinate due to poor health.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"We still have certain restrictions but our numbers are rising so where does it end "

Numbers are rising because have some restrictions rather than all the restrictions. We've pretty much opened up fully. Had we not had any of the restrictions cases would have risen much faster than they are at the moment and, due to lack of vaccines at the time, deaths and hospitalisations would be staggering.

To answer the OP, never say never. If a variant was a) capable of spreading like the delta variant b) able to avoid vaccines c) more deadly, then we might not have much of a choice. Restrictions or a complete disaster.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"No I wouldn't.

"

Would socially distancing with strangers or wearing masks on transport make someone suffer with MH?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

To help stop the spread of Covid a mask could be worn and yet people don't want to help others who may be vulnerable?

By *easing_twoCouple  over a year ago

Bristol, Thornbury

?? no to be blunt

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"First of all let me stress I am not talking about lockdowns!!! So please let us not go there…

I would support most of what you say. Some people don't have a choice and have to use public transport and shops to buy food so if I need to wear a mask to help others then I would still do that.

For large events, I think if people want to take the chance then that should be their choice of going or not as they should know the risk.

Absolutely, all of the above. I would support the return of mask wearing in shops too.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

No. Get everyone double-vaccinated, and flu-jabbed and whatever boosters are required.

I had a lengthy conversation today with a lady who refused to be vaccinated; I listened patiently, and could not understand her reasoning!

She refused to be vaccinated until a better vaccine became available.

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

We still have to wear masks on public transport and in shops and our numbers are still increasing..

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"We still have to wear masks on public transport and in shops and our numbers are still increasing.."

Not many people are were we are

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"?? no to be blunt "

Was that to my post above yours or the OP?

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

Yes! Wales still has masks in most indoor spaces and distancing seems to be being followed still even though it's not compulsory. Our case rates have shot up, possibly due to being overwhelmed with tourists over the summer. If they don't fall back down in a couple of weeks, I'd support some restrictions returning. I very much don't want that though. That said, our death rate is thankfully very low despite having around 2000 cases per day now.

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

Why?

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

Time will eventually confirm that Roger Waters got it right..

'This species has amused itself to death'

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"Time will eventually confirm that Roger Waters got it right..

'This species has amused itself to death'"

Or is comfortably numb.

By *an JuniperoCouple  over a year ago

North East

We wouldn’t support any.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Maybe reduced capacity's in venues could be justified if we see a significant rise in cases as the weather gets colder but we cannot go back to blunt, badly thought out, damaging lockdowns. We need to move forward, not keep hiding behind the sofa.

Having said that though, the protection of people (especially the vulnerable) is of greater importance than a persons inalienable right to go for a pint, so if some short term adaptations need to be made then so be it.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Quite clearly the current free for all is not working. Infection numbers, hospital numbers, long covid numbers, death numbers are all going up. It has been slowed by vaccinations, but not stopped. So something has to change.

The only tools we have are (1) vaccination, (2) social distancing, (3) masking, (4) limiting numbers indoors, (5) hand hygiene, (6) lockdowns.

For the first wave the government advice was basically do fuck all, until people started dropping like flies, then they panicked and went full out number 5. Remember that Boris was shaking hands with sick people and never wearing a mask, not keeping distances, right up until he ended up in hospital.

Second wave was brought under control by doing all of them except vaccines, because there weren't any then.

Third wave starting this January, we ramped up with vaccines while doing all the others as well. This clearly worked quite well as the numbers dropped right down.

But then Boris decided that the vaccines alone would be enough, and slowly kicked all the other measures into touch. Which brings us to where we are now. A country where unvaccinated people - which includes all the children - are getting sick. Where unvaccinated plus clinical vulnerable means stay indoors for ever, don't even think about leaving your front door, and be terrified if someone comes to your door and breathes on you. Where vaccinated plus 80+ years old means you're in about the same boat as someone unvaccinated at 50+ years old, so you only need to be moderately terrified.

We can learn to live with covid - except that this is actually doublespeak for learn to die with covid, at least for a big chunk of the population who either haven't been vaccinated, can't be vaccinated, or are vulnerable enough that vaccination doesn't do enough to protect them.

Or we have to do more - which means pick at least two out of the following list:

(a) 100% vaccinations, including children. Breaking the infection route via schools is _essential_.

(b) Mandatory social distancing in all public spaces.

(c) Mandatory masking in all enclosed spaces, plus social distancing using rule of 4 in enclosed spaces.

(d) Localised lockdowns as necessary, with big penalties for rule breaking.

(e) Frequent testing for all working in any face-to-face role (shops, offices, schools), for all schoolkids etc. LFT followed up by PCR. Mandatory quarantine if found positive. Contacts of those found positive, mandatory quarantine until cleared by testing after suitable number of days. Big penalties for quarantine breaking.

(f) Mandatory vaccination passports PLUS testing for anyone attending big public events - sports arenas, concerts, pride marches. Say anything over 500 people.

(g) Mandatory vaccination passports OR testing for anyone attending smaller events and venus - nightclubs, restaurants, cinemas.

I'm sure there's a few others but that's a short list just off the top of my head. Start with picking any two, run with those for three months. If covid numbers drop, then relax to just one of the restrictions. But if numbers are increasing, then immediately add two more of the restrictions. And so on.

Just wishing is not going to make covid go away. It's not improving at the moment, it is going to get worse, so something has to be done. Or just let people die - Boris has said that he is fine with one thousand a week, every week, fifty two thousand a year. I don't think that I am fine with that though.

I will still wear my mask in the few shops I go into and on the bus and yes I'm still social distancing because other people aren't x

By *moothdickMan  over a year ago

stoke

Not me… most about had the d jab now it’s time to say let’s live with it, just we have the flu for last thousand years … ffs, it time move on .. death happens to us all and there ain’t no option of which route

By *rafty98Man  over a year ago

herts

I wouldn't have an issue with what you've listed their.

Yes we need to start living again but do it in a sensible manner.

I still wear a mask when visiting customers and when I'm shopping.

By *uriousFun6069Couple  over a year ago

Caister-on-sea,great Yarmouth

Not really. If people want to wear masks that is personal choice, although unless they are changing it regularly and removing correctly etc etc it's a waste of time!

The UK has now hit herd Immunity as 84% (approximately) of the population have had their second jab. Things should naturally start to get better now.

The next pandemic is going to be mental health issues..it was already a problem before covid..lack of resources etc. We need to be human again. We need social interaction to thrive. We need to move forward positively.

Yes

By *easing_twoCouple  over a year ago

Bristol, Thornbury

"?? no to be blunt

Was that to my post above yours or the OP?"

No, I mean in general response to the OP

"No. Get everyone double-vaccinated, and flu-jabbed and whatever boosters are required.

I had a lengthy conversation today with a lady who refused to be vaccinated; I listened patiently, and could not understand her reasoning!

She refused to be vaccinated until a better vaccine became available.

"

That's a perfectly reasonable reason?

"Maybe reduced capacity's in venues could be justified if we see a significant rise in cases as the weather gets colder but we cannot go back to blunt, badly thought out, damaging lockdowns. We need to move forward, not keep hiding behind the sofa.

Having said that though, the protection of people (especially the vulnerable) is of greater importance than a persons inalienable right to go for a pint, so if some short term adaptations need to be made then so be it."

Thought the lockdowns and vaccines were for the protection of the vulnerable?

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

"Not really. If people want to wear masks that is personal choice, although unless they are changing it regularly and removing correctly etc etc it's a waste of time!

The UK has now hit herd Immunity as 84% (approximately) of the population have had their second jab. Things should naturally start to get better now.

The next pandemic is going to be mental health issues..it was already a problem before covid..lack of resources etc. We need to be human again. We need social interaction to thrive. We need to move forward positively. "

Wrong no where near 84% of the population vaccinated, just adults your forgetting the millions of children under 18. Them plus the 10% of adults who are against the vaccines means we are a long way of herd immunity capable of dealing with the delays variant.

If we can get to 90% of the TOTAL population double jabbed then maybe herd immunity against delta will be achieved.

KJ

I'm all for personal choice on measures now. If you want to wear a mask and social distance etc, you should. You'll be protected and you'll protect others.

If cases keep rising yes,

Newcastle and Gateshead

Okay then… as the OP let me play devils advocate

Like I have said… I am not talking about lockdown

I am just interested in why the vehement reaction against for example a mask mandate on public transport… or in shops? I don’t see those as being controversial

The reduced capacity thing I think is a regard for space, but without shutting things down which would be counterproductive….

I just don’t see the rush to normality because until we get some control on this, there isn’t going to be normality.. no matter how much people scream “freedom”

For example.. a lot of business is putting a hold on the back into the office thing….

I was thinking “slow down” rather than “shut down!”

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I would support fixed restrictions that don't rely on a scientifically ignorant public to calculate risk and decide for themselves.

Definitely capacity limits, social distancing and public mask use indoors. I'd be happy with testing negative for entry too and passports. I'm open to higher standards for masks and many options, if there's evidence behind them.

We learned last year that if we are too slow and have half soaked measures, that they need to be in place for longer and get tougher for much longer.

Stockport

"I would support fixed restrictions that don't rely on a scientifically ignorant public to calculate risk and decide for themselves.

Definitely capacity limits, social distancing and public mask use indoors. I'd be happy with testing negative for entry too and passports. I'm open to higher standards for masks and many options, if there's evidence behind them.

We learned last year that if we are too slow and have half soaked measures, that they need to be in place for longer and get tougher for much longer. "

Exactly this. You manage to say very succinctly what I end using a thousand words for! Doing a little can achieve a lot, as long as it's done properly and at the right time.

By *arl17Man  over a year ago

Central Portugal

Nothing

Central Portugal

Flu is causing more deaths at present... ffs

"No I wouldn't.

Would socially distancing with strangers or wearing masks on transport make someone suffer with MH? "

Most people in my area are already still wearing masks on public transport, so in my area that rule would not be necessary.

"Flu is causing more deaths at present... ffs"

How many people died from the flu last week?

"No I wouldn't.

Would socially distancing with strangers or wearing masks on transport make someone suffer with MH? "

Yes social distancing has a big impact on mental health, to think it does not is to not understand the MH issues.

By *uv2kissMan  over a year ago

fenland

"We still have to wear masks on public transport and in shops and our numbers are still increasing..

Not many people are were we are"

Yesterday was the first time since it all started that I went shopping without a mask.

If I was in a crowded place I wouod still wear one

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

I'd support what Fabio, Sophieslut and Polly_Chromatic said.

I know everyone wants to return to "Normal", but the virus doesn't care much what folks desire and it's not got the memo to pack up and go home.

The route back to some semblance of "Normality" is to measure, manage and mitigate.

This means continual testing, continual vaccination and revaccination, and proactively recalibrating our response and measuring its efficacy.

The government need to make it very clear that this ride has yet to stop, and regardless of our successes or not, other countries around the world are also battling the virus, and their successes or failures ultimately impact us as well.

It's not yet time to remove the brakes. We need to keep the pressure up on measuring, managing and mitigating.

No

Central Portugal

"Flu is causing more deaths at present... ffs

How many people died from the flu last week?"

Latest figures from ONS is July which state 1,141 died from flu and pneumonia compared to 969 from Covid. To put it in perspective nearly 8,500 died from Alzheimer’s and heart disease combined (top 2 causes).

These are the governments stats direct from the ONS and easily verified.

A friend of mine has suffered a mental breakdown and is currently in hospital. So I stand by my comment that restrictions are damaging people's mental health.

People are committing suicide daily.

Life is not just about Covid...

scotland

Flu deaths are reported alongside pneumonia. As any intelligent person knows, pneumonia can be the result of many different viruses or bacteria. So, you are basically comparing the deaths from one virus to many other causes...

Give up on people who have no understanding of the crap they are posting ...

scotland

Latest figures from ONS is July which state 1,141 died from flu and pneumonia compared to 969 from Covid. To put it in perspective nearly 8,500 died from Alzheimer’s and heart disease combined (top 2 causes).

These are the governments stats direct from the ONS and easily verified. "

You said flu deaths...now you quoted flu and pneumonia deaths....

How many of those deaths are Flu??

How do you suggest we cut Alzheimer’s and heart disease deaths? How many of these deaths were preventable?

Central Portugal

Flu deaths are reported alongside pneumonia. As any intelligent person knows, pneumonia can be the result of many different viruses or bacteria. So, you are basically comparing the deaths from one virus to many other causes...

I totally agree. Please stop posting crap !

A simple trawl through the actual facts with a simple understanding of what you are reading would suffice, other than a silly childish comment.

"

"A friend of mine has suffered a mental breakdown and is currently in hospital. So I stand by my comment that restrictions are damaging people's mental health.

"

People have always committed suicide, it’s terrible but it’s true. The key here is how many more people are committing suicide than usually do. I’m not sure about the latest statistics but earlier this year the statistics showed that there hadn’t been an increase in deaths by suicide.

These are the governments stats direct from the ONS and easily verified. "

Can you catch heart disease and Alzheimer’s from someone in the supermarket, that you would not have had the pair of you been wearing masks?

Also, what’s the number for flu alone?

"A friend of mine has suffered a mental breakdown and is currently in hospital. So I stand by my comment that restrictions are damaging people's mental health.

People have always committed suicide, it’s terrible but it’s true. The key here is how many more people are committing suicide than usually do. I’m not sure about the latest statistics but earlier this year the statistics showed that there hadn’t been an increase in deaths by suicide.

"

For those that think 'capacity limits' at venues is a simple thing to do - it's not. Most businesses are not financially viable at 50%.

For those that think we are nowhere near herd immunity because children aren't vaccinated need to understand that the immunity figures are a combination of those vaccinated added to those who've had natural infections.

Thankfully the government seem to understand this and are now letting the virus spread through the population with minimum deaths (vaccine rollout).

A question for anyone advocating continued restrictions - how long do we keep them up for given this virus is never going away?

scotland

I totally agree. Please stop posting crap !

A simple trawl through the actual facts with a simple understanding of what you are reading would suffice, other than a silly childish comment.

"

What "crap" have I posted?

Flu and pneumonia deaths ARE reported together. You proved that in a subsequent post.

Pneumonia has multiple causes. A simple understanding of Google would demonstrate that to you.

For those that think 'capacity limits' at venues is a simple thing to do - it's not. Most businesses are not financially viable at 50%.

For those that think we are nowhere near herd immunity because children aren't vaccinated need to understand that the immunity figures are a combination of those vaccinated added to those who've had natural infections.

Thankfully the government seem to understand this and are now letting the virus spread through the population with minimum deaths (vaccine rollout).

A question for anyone advocating continued restrictions - how long do we keep them up for given this virus is never going away?"

I dunno, which close family members are you willing to have die so people don’t have to wear masks?

We need to live are lives with this Virus its clearly going Nowhere soon .We cant live cooped up in doors its Not Healthy so many ppl are suffering anxiety Young and old xx

By *iss SinWoman  over a year ago

portchester

No I would not. It’s time to stop living in fear

"We need to live are lives with this Virus its clearly going Nowhere soon .We cant live cooped up in doors its Not Healthy so many ppl are suffering anxiety Young and old xx"

It’s not a choice between staying cooped up at home or doing nothing though, it’s possible to maintain things like social distancing and mask wearing in places like supermarkets and public transport while still allowing people to go to the pub if they want to.

People have this bizarre idea that it has to be one or the other when actually it’s quite simple to have different levels of restriction in place.

A question for anyone advocating continued restrictions - how long do we keep them up for given this virus is never going away?

I dunno, which close family members are you willing to have die so people don’t have to wear masks?"

Lol. Thankfully, government policy doesn't work like that. It's dispassionately set looking at society as a whole.

By *isspurplechesterWoman  over a year ago

Chester

In my area of Wales, it feels no different now to when the full restrictions were in place! The only change is that arrow stickers have been removed from floors! I personally think they all should be lifted! If people believe that the mask they’ve worn for 18months is effective, and believe that the jab works, then why the need for restrictions?

By *andKBCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth

I would support social distancing on public transport. Only because im anti social

I dunno, which close family members are you willing to have die so people don’t have to wear masks?

Lol. Thankfully, government policy doesn't work like that. It's dispassionately set looking at society as a whole.

"

While I agree that policy needs to be set _ased on the evidence it’s also very easy to only think about the majority when you aren’t in a high risk group. The trouble with ‘dispassionate’ policy making is that it tends to be to the detriment of those who are most vulnerable, or who are on the fringes of society.

Also, if you think this government is setting policy on a dispassionate, evidence _ased basis then I’ve got a huge amount of office space that I developed at the time of a property boom that I stand to lose millions on if people don’t go back to working in an office environment, to sell you.

Does not matter what preventative measures you put in place, nobody adheres to them.

For instance name one time you did a big shop at a supermarket and everyone stayed 2m away? Never, is the correct answer. Some supermarket aisles are not even 2m wide so unless there is a one way system with no overtaking in place then again, the social distance rules are a piss take.

Wearing a face covering is damn silly too, unless everyone wears a mask to a particular British or European standard then it is pointless. Disposable masks are not disposed off and washable masks are not washed. Masks are fairly often not worn over the nose and don’t get me started on washing hands!

The general public cannot follow basic guidelines, we are too stupid and selfish

"Maybe reduced capacity's in venues could be justified if we see a significant rise in cases as the weather gets colder but we cannot go back to blunt, badly thought out, damaging lockdowns. We need to move forward, not keep hiding behind the sofa.

Having said that though, the protection of people (especially the vulnerable) is of greater importance than a persons inalienable right to go for a pint, so if some short term adaptations need to be made then so be it."

. It’s not a question of an inalienable right to go for a pint. It’s more about people being able to run their businesses and lives instead of being forced into bankruptcy. Some nine to ten thousand people in England and Wales die every week. Some will now die from covid instead of other reasons but we can’t suspend everyones life because of it.

By *avana8817Man  over a year ago

Consett

I would support nothing you have said OP.

Its here and we have to live with it, its time for everyone to stop moaning and strap on some big boy pants and get on with life.

Why would anyone want to live a life in fear and full of restrictions is beyond me.

Protect yourself with a good hygiene regime and start living. You are only here once

"Does not matter what preventative measures you put in place, nobody adheres to them.

For instance name one time you did a big shop at a supermarket and everyone stayed 2m away? Never, is the correct answer. Some supermarket aisles are not even 2m wide so unless there is a one way system with no overtaking in place then again, the social distance rules are a piss take.

Wearing a face covering is damn silly too, unless everyone wears a mask to a particular British or European standard then it is pointless. Disposable masks are not disposed off and washable masks are not washed. Masks are fairly often not worn over the nose and don’t get me started on washing hands!

The general public cannot follow basic guidelines, we are too stupid and selfish"

I read in the paper that a man was done for drink driving the other day, what's the point in these drink driving laws if people don't follow them?

Central

"Does not matter what preventative measures you put in place, nobody adheres to them.

The general public cannot follow basic guidelines, we are too stupid and selfish"

Your conclusion to having sometimes difficult to implement procedures and inaccurate public adoption, that wouldn't mean 100% failures in restrict infection spread is to stop doing anything at all . It beggars belief that you'd give up on 1 of the ways that we've managed to keep more people healthy and alive, as well as the country prosperous.

The OP was would you support reintroducetion of measures, if necessary? We have 2 tools to help us - vaccines or restrictions. It seems defeatist to do nothing, when our evidence shows that simple steps can have profoundly different, good outcomes.

The general public cannot follow basic guidelines, we are too stupid and selfish

Your conclusion to having sometimes difficult to implement procedures and inaccurate public adoption, that wouldn't mean 100% failures in restrict infection spread is to stop doing anything at all . It beggars belief that you'd give up on 1 of the ways that we've managed to keep more people healthy and alive, as well as the country prosperous.

The OP was would you support reintroducetion of measures, if necessary? We have 2 tools to help us - vaccines or restrictions. It seems defeatist to do nothing, when our evidence shows that simple steps can have profoundly different, good outcomes. "

Yeah but wearing a mask for a few minutes while in a shop is LITERALLY like being in Nazi Germany.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

More than 700 a week? Do you we have a link for that please?

By *ffanotdykeCouple  over a year ago

Salop

Although we have both been "double jabbed" would we have contact with someone who has not been jabbed NO!!!

We have only got this one life and we intend to enjoy it and do not wish it to be cut short. Herd immunity only protects the strongest

SS

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"No I wouldn't.

Would socially distancing with strangers or wearing masks on transport make someone suffer with MH?

Most people in my area are already still wearing masks on public transport, so in my area that rule would not be necessary."

That wasn't my question though. You said restrictions suggested would cause MH , one of which was wearing masks, I asked does wearing a face mask cause MH issues?

I don't support anything OP suggests.

Personally I've had enough of being ordered about told what to do and what not to do. I had plenty of that when I was in the Armed Forces.

Everyone is now aware of the virus and it's variants and their effects, and should be allowed to make their own decisions on what to do or not to do. If the wrong choice is made unfortunately the consequences will have to be borne by the person who made the choice.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Which restrictions? Wearing a mask ? socially distancing?

Newcastle and Gateshead

After looking at the responses I still don’t get the venom about just putting on a mask on in a shop or on public transport

It’s a mask.. it’s a simple action…. It’s an easy action

Also since someone mentioned flu, doesn’t wearing a mask help prevent spread of that as well

Likewise for example something such as a reduced capacity limit on venues…

People are not talking about shutting anything down… just a slow down of the process

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I don't support anything OP suggests.

Personally I've had enough of being ordered about told what to do and what not to do. I had plenty of that when I was in the Armed Forces.

Everyone is now aware of the virus and it's variants and their effects, and should be allowed to make their own decisions on what to do or not to do. If the wrong choice is made unfortunately the consequences will have to be borne by the person who made the choice.

"

Or the people who they pass it on to

"

The point with Covid is that it is absolutely the opposite, the consequences are born by other people.

Person with Covid doesn't wear mask

Infects another person with Covid

Person they infected dies

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Just a reminder, if you are going to post , don't attack the poster.

If people quoted a post that was removed, yours will have been removed too, it doesn't mean yours broke rules

"After looking at the responses I still don’t get the venom about just putting on a mask on in a shop or on public transport

Also since someone mentioned flu, doesn’t wearing a mask help prevent spread of that as well

People are not talking about shutting anything down… just a slow down of the process"

While personally I support a limit on public venues I can see how going to somewhere like a pub or a nightclub may be seen very much as making a choice that could potentiually put yourself at risk. However going on public transport or to a shop can, and should, be vierwed as an essential act of daily living.

By *issIrishCoffeeWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

I would fully

"After looking at the responses I still don’t get the venom about just putting on a mask on in a shop or on public transport

People are not talking about shutting anything down… just a slow down of the process

While personally I support a limit on public venues I can see how going to somewhere like a pub or a nightclub may be seen very much as making a choice that could potentiually put yourself at risk. However going on public transport or to a shop can, and should, be vierwed as an essential act of daily living."

. If you limit attendances at public venues they will virtually all cease being viable and ultimately there won’t be any. We could abolish all motor vehicles from public roads and probably starve to death as a consequence but we could at least eradicate road traffic deaths.

While personally I support a limit on public venues I can see how going to somewhere like a pub or a nightclub may be seen very much as making a choice that could potentiually put yourself at risk. However going on public transport or to a shop can, and should, be vierwed as an essential act of daily living.. If you limit attendances at public venues they will virtually all cease being viable and ultimately there won’t be any. We could abolish all motor vehicles from public roads and probably starve to death as a consequence but we could at least eradicate road traffic deaths. "

I just said that I can see an argument for not limiting attendances at places like pubs, clubs, stadiums. I’m not sure why you are getting so vexed?

While personally I support a limit on public venues I can see how going to somewhere like a pub or a nightclub may be seen very much as making a choice that could potentiually put yourself at risk. However going on public transport or to a shop can, and should, be vierwed as an essential act of daily living.. If you limit attendances at public venues they will virtually all cease being viable and ultimately there won’t be any. We could abolish all motor vehicles from public roads and probably starve to death as a consequence but we could at least eradicate road traffic deaths.

I just said that I can see an argument for not limiting attendances at places like pubs, clubs, stadiums. I’m not sure why you are getting so vexed?"

. I’m not vexed at all. Just pointing out how impractical some suggestions are.

As always wisdom and common sense from the op. Covid is endemic and is still dangerous…it’s not going away so making moderate changes to protect and mitigate seems reasonable. Wish we could turn the clock back to pre-covid but we can’t.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I would support a return in some measures.

However, I think that the public mood would not make them enforceable, and so we're stuck with this mess.

Manchester (she/her)

*unenforceable

By *urvyJadaTV/TS  over a year ago

Bury

I do strongly think we should be investing in ventilation in schools and workplaces because we could prevent a lot of infections and deaths that way but I think, unless there is a disastrous new variant, we should try and avoid lockdowns etc.

As it is, most people will catch it. Everybody in my house share have been so careful - no restaurants, bars, cinemas, clubs etc. But we Still managed to all catch it when somebody in the house got infected.

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

Yes I would support gentle moves like masks for those who can on public transport, more testing before large events. We are a community and we have a responsibility to care for everyone who lives beside us on planet earth! But essentially, I would like that ethos to spread much much wider than covid.

There are so many other issues which affect our well being nationally and globally. I don't think covid can take centre stage forever. I think we need to do what we can, wherever we feel called to make a difference.

Enforcement is not the way.

Stockport

There is an absolutely clear distinction on here between people who are worried about the effects on others, and people who are only interested in the effects on themselves. In between, a small number who are clearly very worried but have too often been swayed by bad actors, to their own detriment.

By *ackandtheunicornCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

No. We should be back to normal. No restrictions, no masks, no passports. We clearly cant stop or control this virus without devastating effects on everyone so let's just live with it.

"No. We should be back to normal. No restrictions, no masks, no passports. We clearly cant stop or control this virus without devastating effects on everyone so let's just live with it. "

What devastating effects on everyone?

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"There is an absolutely clear distinction on here between people who are worried about the effects on others, and people who are only interested in the effects on themselves. In between, a small number who are clearly very worried but have too often been swayed by bad actors, to their own detriment."
what you mean is a small number have been swayed by someone elses argument and not by your predictions of armagedon,and honestly out of all the people on this site this virus forum is inhabited by a hundred people at most,majority of site dont bother with it,some of us come in for the giggles some come for an argument and some come to preach to anyone who will pay them any attention

By *issusWoman  over a year ago

Belfast

"There is an absolutely clear distinction on here between people who are worried about the effects on others, and people who are only interested in the effects on themselves. In between, a small number who are clearly very worried but have too often been swayed by bad actors, to their own detriment."

There sure is a clear distinction on here between people worrying about others and people worrying about different others.

Ones are busy worrying about how everyone is so selfish and is killing others by not wearing a dirty cloth on their faces.

Others are worrying how some are so far gone in a doomsday loony land that they want a segregated society where "dirty ones" should be locked up and stripped off privileges like having a job, any kind of social life or even buying groceries.

The latter are worried about mental health as well as general health (which has been pretty much neglected for around 14 months) repercussions of such propositions.

Latter issues do not require close contact to kill someone or make them seriously ill.

You can't make up a vaccine to treat fear either.

By *p4regularfunMan  over a year ago

Blackburn

"No, I wouldn’t support any of that."

Blackburn

"There is an absolutely clear distinction on here between people who are worried about the effects on others, and people who are only interested in the effects on themselves. In between, a small number who are clearly very worried but have too often been swayed by bad actors, to their own detriment.

There sure is a clear distinction on here between people worrying about others and people worrying about different others.

Ones are busy worrying about how everyone is so selfish and is killing others by not wearing a dirty cloth on their faces.

Others are worrying how some are so far gone in a doomsday loony land that they want a segregated society where "dirty ones" should be locked up and stripped off privileges like having a job, any kind of social life or even buying groceries.

The latter are worried about mental health as well as general health (which has been pretty much neglected for around 14 months) repercussions of such propositions.

Latter issues do not require close contact to kill someone or make them seriously ill.

"

I think you may be in for a shock... or not actually.

People are now well into the jab conditioning that soon jabs for obesity, jabs for quitting smoking, jabs for x,y and Z will be all the norm

Manchester (she/her)

"There is an absolutely clear distinction on here between people who are worried about the effects on others, and people who are only interested in the effects on themselves. In between, a small number who are clearly very worried but have too often been swayed by bad actors, to their own detriment.

People are now well into the jab conditioning that soon jabs for obesity, jabs for quitting smoking, jabs for x,y and Z will be all the norm"

What's the biological mechanism for developing an immune response to obesity or smoking? Are they viruses?

By *ohnj21Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"I will still wear my mask in the few shops I go into and on the bus and yes I'm still social distancing because other people aren't x"

I agree.

Please could you mail me l OK e your profile

By *heNaturistCoupleCouple  over a year ago

crewe

We wouldn't support any at the present time.

Blackburn

People are now well into the jab conditioning that soon jabs for obesity, jabs for quitting smoking, jabs for x,y and Z will be all the norm

What's the biological mechanism for developing an immune response to obesity or smoking? Are they viruses?"

They can create protein and enzyme to block receptors.

Of course.... by tricking thb e body there will ge side effects.

Just like contraceptive prevention has side effects of the rest of the body.

Blackburn

"

They wont take fear away. Fear is needed to ensure the populace is compliant. Fear rules.

Manchester (she/her)

What's the biological mechanism for developing an immune response to obesity or smoking? Are they viruses?

Just like contraceptive prevention has side effects of the rest of the body."

Umm. Ok

By *andKBCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth

Just like contraceptive prevention has side effects of the rest of the body."

Tell me you don't know biology without saying you don't know biology.

Which restrictions? Wearing a mask ? socially distancing?"

Hey, you say in an earlier post not to attack the OP but you seem to be having a pretty good go at me and my opinions. What exactly have you got against me? I have not crossed swords with you in the forum before

I did not express my opinion in an offensive way.

I am also receiving PM having a go at me from.

All I have said is that I don't support a return to restrictions and given reasons why. That was the OPs question I believe.

Central

"No. We should be back to normal. No restrictions, no masks, no passports. We clearly cant stop or control this virus without devastating effects on everyone so let's just live with it. "

`We should be back to normal'

Yes, though we aren't on top of Covid, as its infection numbers are very high. 26 times higher than a year ago, when we delayed having a firebreak, to diminish them. We then had to have fuller lockdowns that dragged on and on.

'No responsibility. No masks. No passports'

You'd be comfortable doing nothing, whatever the damage to the country

Yikes.

Fabio's post was about what we would all think a good idea and would support, if needed to prevent worse calamity. Most people where I live are still using masks in public venues. They see it as necessary and good common sense to use them now - it would be no effort or hardship for the majority here.

Is there a tiny step you would take, if things were really bad?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Which restrictions? Wearing a mask ? socially distancing?

Hey, you say in an earlier post not to attack the OP but you seem to be having a pretty good go at me and my opinions. What exactly have you got against me? I have not crossed swords with you in the forum before

I did not express my opinion in an offensive way.

I am also receiving PM having a go at me from.

All I have said is that I don't support a return to restrictions and given reasons why. That was the OPs question I believe.

"

That is a tad OTT. I am guessing because you don't want to answer the question, which is fine, but you only have to say so rather than accuse me of attacking you.

Please look up the definition of attacking a person personally opposed to asking you a question about something YOU have written

Forum Mod

O o O oo

PS to clarify, I did not say the OP was attacked. If you have a PM it was not from me

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"...

"

I guess we are going to see a rise in people committing suicide subconsciously.

If this anticyclonic gloom weather goes on much longer, covid induced depression will be overtaken by climate induced depression.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

We are intelligent grown ups aren't we? We have to do what we have to do. We all want this to have been a bad dream, but it's reality. Sometimes realities tough.

We are intelligent grown ups aren't we? We have to do what we have to do. We all want this to have been a bad dream, but it's reality. Sometimes realities tough. "

I think that’s rather the point though, isn’t it? We aren’t all intelligent grown ups.

Half of our country has a double digit IQ, the average reading age in the UK is that of what is expected of a 9 year old.

I am sure our opinions on this are incredibly inconsequential.

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

"Half of our country has a double digit IQ,"

Well, yes, the average is about 100 so you would expect that.

Anyhow, I don’t think masks are a lot to ask. They’re annoying but if it helps slow infections then it’s fine.

I do worry that we will see a more severe/

Vaccine resistant variant, and it seems everyone who went to a _estival came home with Covid.

It’s fair enough to comment that we’re vaccinated, but lots of others are not.

I’m increasingly interested in how the rest of the world is doing. We’re not so much of an island as some folks like to think.

Where does most of your stuff come from?

By *isspurplechesterWoman  over a year ago

Chester

"No I wouldn't.

Most people in my area are already still wearing masks on public transport, so in my area that rule would not be necessary.

That wasn't my question though. You said restrictions suggested would cause MH , one of which was wearing masks, I asked does wearing a face mask cause MH issues?"

Sadly for some wearing a mask really can affect their mental wellbeing! There are many people who will become anxious wearing one, which causes a panic attack for some! Autism, claustrophobics, those with current mental health issues etc, it can be a cause for a decline in their mental health! I will give you a more personal example! my teenager is mask exempt, the abuse she has received whilst wearing her lanyard has been disgusting over an 18 month period, she decided to wear a mask to not receive the abuse, and had major panic attacks several times! She is now refusing to leave the house unless accompanied, for her case that has come from a combination of issues, but has included wearing a mask! There’s a lot of vulnerable folk out there sadly x

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"No I wouldn't.

That wasn't my question though. You said restrictions suggested would cause MH , one of which was wearing masks, I asked does wearing a face mask cause MH issues?

Sadly for some wearing a mask really can affect their mental wellbeing! There are many people who will become anxious wearing one, which causes a panic attack for some! Autism, claustrophobics, those with current mental health issues etc, it can be a cause for a decline in their mental health! I will give you a more personal example! my teenager is mask exempt, the abuse she has received whilst wearing her lanyard has been disgusting over an 18 month period, she decided to wear a mask to not receive the abuse, and had major panic attacks several times! She is now refusing to leave the house unless accompanied, for her case that has come from a combination of issues, but has included wearing a mask! There’s a lot of vulnerable folk out there sadly x "

Thanks for answering. I think it says more about people complaining about the lanyards though

Going by the answers on this thread she wouldn't be getting any comments now for not wearing a mask as most are against masks anyway

Forum Mod

O o O oo

We are intelligent grown ups aren't we? We have to do what we have to do. We all want this to have been a bad dream, but it's reality. Sometimes realities tough. "

You would hope so yes, but it doesn't seem to be about intelligence and more to do with not caring about others

If cases go up so much because we have no mitigations at all ( lets hope they don't ) and we then have to have more restrictions in the winter I wonder if the people so against social distancing and masks now will think differently as they may well have made all the difference

By *sBlueWoman  over a year ago

Up North

They are saying vaccine certificates are still going to be needed for nightclubs end of sept

By *ewcouplemidsCouple  over a year ago

walsall

No we wouldn't like to go back to restrictions

Personally the vaccines are working at reducing high numbers of deaths or serious effects from the virus so think we should Continue with the vaccination programme including boosters

There's an easy way to reduce crowds at sports events or other public events and that is bring in a covid passport to attend

The government are already proposing this to all nightclubs so why not to all places

Covid is Still a higher risk to the unvaccinated so protect them using a covid passport

Other countries are doing it Greece are saying u can't drink or dine inside a venue without vaccination proof other countries are following suite

When the side effects become minimal to the vaccinated only the ones unvaccinated will need protection

We all have had a choice to participate with the vaccine so why should we all be treated the same if we aren't in as much risk

The point with Covid is that it is absolutely the opposite, the consequences are born by other people.

Person they infected dies"

Orrrr... doesn't die, and builds natural immunity? Acting like there is only one consequence to catching covid is a huge part of the fog of fear many people seem to be addicted to.

Orrrr... doesn't die, and builds natural immunity? Acting like there is only one consequence to catching covid is a huge part of the fog of fear many people seem to be addicted to. "

Or gets long Covid and suffers for years.

The point I was making, however, is that it’s not the person choosing not to wear a mask or socially distance who suffers the consequences, it’s the people they infect.

Orrrr... doesn't die, and builds natural immunity? Acting like there is only one consequence to catching covid is a huge part of the fog of fear many people seem to be addicted to.

The point I was making, however, is that it’s not the person choosing not to wear a mask or socially distance who suffers the consequences, it’s the people they infect."

True, but, your default is that the non masked person is the one that infected them? Just like this bollocks about the non vaxed being the one to infect people, when it is admitted clearly that both vaxxed and unvaxxed can transmit. You have bought wholesale in to the division. It could very easily be a masked person coughing into their mask that does almost zilch to stop particle pass through, rather than the non masked person who isn't coughing and is keeping space? Just like it could very easily be the vaccinated person who has passed on covid rather than the healthy person who hasn't been vaccinated.

The point I was making, however, is that it’s not the person choosing not to wear a mask or socially distance who suffers the consequences, it’s the people they infect.

True, but, your default is that the non masked person is the one that infected them? Just like this bollocks about the non vaxed being the one to infect people, when it is admitted clearly that both vaxxed and unvaxxed can transmit. You have bought wholesale in to the division. It could very easily be a masked person coughing into their mask that does almost zilch to stop particle pass through, rather than the non masked person who isn't coughing and is keeping space? Just like it could very easily be the vaccinated person who has passed on covid rather than the healthy person who hasn't been vaccinated.

"

Perhaps you need to take a look at some of the research that shows that masks are a very effective way of stopping people passing on Covid.

No one is saying that a person wearing a mask cannot pass on Covid, just that they are far less likely to than an unmasked person.

You may not like what the science is telling you but that doesn’t make it untrue.

simply put yes _abio we would but then i have bigger reasons for this as my job is to keep 300 staff safe and 700 residents safe too my work load and responsibility has quadrupled over covid times and is made worse on a daily basis due to people who just dont care ..until it affects them then they fall to pieces and start preaching covid rules yep its those very same people who dont care until it hits home then they shout the loudest at those who have been protecting there love ones by trying to say its our fault lucky for us we log everything now everything gets written down to protect us from these people...

so yes restrictions are going to be needed again otherwise i can see a whole new lockdown again bearing in mind at this present moment in time only half a million are getting a booster ...

flu yep the dreaded flu this year is a major worry for all drs in fact the last few weeks its all we've heard at work flu is going to be big this year if they are right then covid numbers are still going up and we have a very bad flu outbreak then what harm can having these simple restriction in place do ... and please stop with the mental health stuff we are not talking lockdown just a few restrictions ....

mental health ermmm yes the same mental health that affects families of those who get covid or lose love ones to covid as appose to thouse just struggling a little due to restriction....not knocking it just putting it into perpective

Perhaps you need to take a look at some of the research that shows that masks are a very effective way of stopping people passing on Covid.

No one is saying that a person wearing a mask cannot pass on Covid, just that they are far less likely to than an unmasked person.

You may not like what the science is telling you but that doesn’t make it untrue."

Completely bypassed my example. And far less likely is a huge stretch. The Masks everyone is wearing are by and large useless. If they are so good maybe the military should ditch all that heavy CBRN gear they have to lug about and just stick a Tesco 5 pack of mask in their pocket. Bottom line is you, and you are very much not alone, would rather blame certain groups for transmission than accept the fact that (besides people purposefully coughing on someone else) noone is more blameworthy than anyone else.

Because then there isnt an "Other"

You may not like what the science is telling you but that doesn’t make it untrue.

Completely bypassed my example. And far less likely is a huge stretch. The Masks everyone is wearing are by and large useless. If they are so good maybe the military should ditch all that heavy CBRN gear they have to lug about and just stick a Tesco 5 pack of mask in their pocket. Bottom line is you, and you are very much not alone, would rather blame certain groups for transmission than accept the fact that (besides people purposefully coughing on someone else) noone is more blameworthy than anyone else.

Because then there isnt an "Other" "

Like I said, you might not like what the science tells you but that doesn’t make it untrue.

Like I said, you might not like what the science tells you but that doesn’t make it untrue."

You aren't very good at this. Never mind. Keep blaming the "others" if it helps you make sense of the world...

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Because then there isnt an "Other" "

I think there is no doubt that masks don't work 100% but they are there to help limit what is emitted.

A bit like standing next to someone while peeing, if you have your undies on it will just soak you, if you don't have undies on it might go over someone stood next to you

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Nope let's just crack on x

I think there is no doubt that masks don't work 100% but they are there to help limit what is emitted.

A bit like standing next to someone while peeing, if you have your undies on it will just soak you, if you don't have undies on it might go over someone stood next to you"

I've had years of practice and neither my undies nor fellow peeing persons get wet thank you! !

A bit like standing next to someone while peeing, if you have your undies on it will just soak you, if you don't have undies on it might go over someone stood next to you"

yeah, I agree they may help, but it is nowhere near 100 percent. But the divisive destructive attitude that puts all the blame on people without a mask or vaccine is ridiculous. It puts those people as a threat, something to fear, something to attack. Again, I will say this, who is more of a threat, a contagious vaxxed mask wearer, or, a healthy unvaxxed person without a mask? The answer is blatantly obvious, but some have been so conditioned in fear and othering since this all started that they'd still point at the healthy person as the threat.

Like I said, you might not like what the science tells you but that doesn’t make it untrue.

You aren't very good at this. Never mind. Keep blaming the "others" if it helps you make sense of the world... "

I’m just following the science, it beats trying to say it’s wrong in order to justify my behaviour.

I'm not sure how you pee but if you aren't wearing undies and it goes on someone else you're doing it wrong

You aren't very good at this. Never mind. Keep blaming the "others" if it helps you make sense of the world...

I’m just following the science, it beats trying to say it’s wrong in order to justify my behaviour."

You're blatantly ignoring what I am saying to keep on your script, because that script is now all you know.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

A bit like standing next to someone while peeing, if you have your undies on it will just soak you, if you don't have undies on it might go over someone stood next to you

I'm not sure how you pee but if you aren't wearing undies and it goes on someone else you're doing it wrong "

Splash splash

A bit like standing next to someone while peeing, if you have your undies on it will just soak you, if you don't have undies on it might go over someone stood next to you yeah, I agree they may help, but it is nowhere near 100 percent. But the divisive destructive attitude that puts all the blame on people without a mask or vaccine is ridiculous. It puts those people as a threat, something to fear, something to attack. Again, I will say this, who is more of a threat, a contagious vaxxed mask wearer, or, a healthy unvaxxed person without a mask? The answer is blatantly obvious, but some have been so conditioned in fear and othering since this all started that they'd still point at the healthy person as the threat. "

Why are you insisting on creating this straw man? No one says a healthy person without a mask is more dangerous than an infected person with a mask, trouble is without daily testing you don’t know whether you have Covid or not, so masks make it safer for everyone.

I'm not sure how you pee but if you aren't wearing undies and it goes on someone else you're doing it wrong

Splash splash "

A bit like standing next to someone while peeing, if you have your undies on it will just soak you, if you don't have undies on it might go over someone stood next to you yeah, I agree they may help, but it is nowhere near 100 percent. But the divisive destructive attitude that puts all the blame on people without a mask or vaccine is ridiculous. It puts those people as a threat, something to fear, something to attack. Again, I will say this, who is more of a threat, a contagious vaxxed mask wearer, or, a healthy unvaxxed person without a mask? The answer is blatantly obvious, but some have been so conditioned in fear and othering since this all started that they'd still point at the healthy person as the threat.

Why are you insisting on creating this straw man? No one says a healthy person without a mask is more dangerous than an infected person with a mask, trouble is without daily testing you don’t know whether you have Covid or not, so masks make it safer for everyone."

What is it with you and strawman is it some sort of fetish? And no they dont, at least not in the way most have been conditioned to think over the last however long. Fact is, people default to Masks and vaccinations as a sign of safety, which is Boris levels of stupid, and will happily stand next to a masked and vaxxed time bomb while squawking at an unmasked unvaxxed healthy person. It's nonsense, and it's fear conditioning.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

So when you sneeze do you use a tissue to stop the spray? Are you saying only unhealthy people would get covid? How would anyone know if the unvaxxed person next to you is healthy?

"So when you sneeze do you use a tissue to stop the spray? Are you saying only unhealthy people would get covid? How would anyone know if the unvaxxed person next to you is healthy?"

You don't, but, the masked vaxxed person is immediately deemed as far less of a threat. Which is just nonsense.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

As a regular traveller, wearing a mask isn't really an issue, so yea mask's for public transport.

A bit like standing next to someone while peeing, if you have your undies on it will just soak you, if you don't have undies on it might go over someone stood next to you yeah, I agree they may help, but it is nowhere near 100 percent. But the divisive destructive attitude that puts all the blame on people without a mask or vaccine is ridiculous. It puts those people as a threat, something to fear, something to attack. Again, I will say this, who is more of a threat, a contagious vaxxed mask wearer, or, a healthy unvaxxed person without a mask? The answer is blatantly obvious, but some have been so conditioned in fear and othering since this all started that they'd still point at the healthy person as the threat.

Why are you insisting on creating this straw man? No one says a healthy person without a mask is more dangerous than an infected person with a mask, trouble is without daily testing you don’t know whether you have Covid or not, so masks make it safer for everyone.

What is it with you and strawman is it some sort of fetish? And no they dont, at least not in the way most have been conditioned to think over the last however long. Fact is, people default to Masks and vaccinations as a sign of safety, which is Boris levels of stupid, and will happily stand next to a masked and vaxxed time bomb while squawking at an unmasked unvaxxed healthy person. It's nonsense, and it's fear conditioning. "

It’s a legal term, in layman’s terms it means you are creating an argument that no one is disputing to prove a point that no one is debating.

The simple fact is that a mask stops most of the moisture droplets that carry Covid 19 getting through. Surgical masks are better at doing so than single layer cloth masks but either are much better than not wearing a mask at all.

I have no idea why you seem to find this so difficult to understand so I posited a theory that it’s because you don’t want to feel guilty for not doing something very simple to help others.

If that is incorrect I apologise but could you show me the evidence that says wearing a mask is no more effective than not wearing a mask when it comes to stopping the spread of Covid?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"So when you sneeze do you use a tissue to stop the spray? Are you saying only unhealthy people would get covid? How would anyone know if the unvaxxed person next to you is healthy?

You don't, but, the masked vaxxed person is immediately deemed as far less of a threat. Which is just nonsense. "

But they are limiting what they are giving out so against the non masked, they are less of a threat. ( not no threat at all)

What do you do when you sneeze?

What is it with you and strawman is it some sort of fetish? And no they dont, at least not in the way most have been conditioned to think over the last however long. Fact is, people default to Masks and vaccinations as a sign of safety, which is Boris levels of stupid, and will happily stand next to a masked and vaxxed time bomb while squawking at an unmasked unvaxxed healthy person. It's nonsense, and it's fear conditioning.

It’s a legal term, in layman’s terms it means you are creating an argument that no one is disputing to prove a point that no one is debating.

The simple fact is that a mask stops most of the moisture droplets that carry Covid 19 getting through. Surgical masks are better at doing so than single layer cloth masks but either are much better than not wearing a mask at all.

I have no idea why you seem to find this so difficult to understand so I posited a theory that it’s because you don’t want to feel guilty for not doing something very simple to help others.

If that is incorrect I apologise but could you show me the evidence that says wearing a mask is no more effective than not wearing a mask when it comes to stopping the spread of Covid?"

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-how-effective-are-masks-at-stopping-covid-19-spread

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I have only skimmed through that but it doesn't seem as definitive as you are suggesting

"So when you sneeze do you use a tissue to stop the spray? Are you saying only unhealthy people would get covid? How would anyone know if the unvaxxed person next to you is healthy?

You don't, but, the masked vaxxed person is immediately deemed as far less of a threat. Which is just nonsense.

But they are limiting what they are giving out so against the non masked, they are less of a threat. ( not no threat at all)

What do you do when you sneeze?"

Not if the the non masked person is perfectly healthy. Many people are in a conditioned state backed up by visual cues, the mask, to determine whether or not a person is a threat to their safety. Which is why I said that many would stand next to a masked person shouting at a non masked person because they see the visual cue of a mask as a sign of their safety. Which, isn't true, is it? Both could be a threat, the masked could be the threat and unmaskrd not or vice versa?

I cover my mouth and nose, but my sneezing may well just be dust, so even if I didn't, I would be less of a threat than someone sneezing into a mask who is contagious, because any spread from me is not dangerous, however the stuff that gets through the mask from a contagious person is.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I would support new restrictions, if it meant a few strangers didn't get covid.

By *aseMan  over a year ago

Gourock

Hee Haw....

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

No point as now they expect everyone to contract the virus, best to concentrate on the vaccine and boosters.

"I have only skimmed through that but it doesn't seem as definitive as you are suggesting"

What it seems to say is that whilst evidence is limited that is always going to be the case as it’s unethical to expose people to Covid in order to get the gold standard research. The just seems to be that mask wearing probably does help and that there is certainly no downside to making mask wearing mandatory in the community.

Funny how the 'free thinkers' all seem to think the same shit.

Can't imagine reintroducing restrictions will get much support from this point onward.

Personally I'll continue to wear masks, keep my distance, avoid people who cough and work on my health & fitness.

"I have only skimmed through that but it doesn't seem as definitive as you are suggesting"

I'm not saying it's definitive, I never have, but it does show that the case for Masks is very much thinner than most believe

By *astlincscoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tinsel Town

"Funny how the 'free thinkers' all seem to think the same shit.

Can't imagine reintroducing restrictions will get much support from this point onward.

Personally I'll continue to wear masks, keep my distance, avoid people who cough and work on my health & fitness."

Yep

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Not if the the non masked person is perfectly healthy. Many people are in a conditioned state backed up by visual cues, the mask, to determine whether or not a person is a threat to their safety. Which is why I said that many would stand next to a masked person shouting at a non masked person because they see the visual cue of a mask as a sign of their safety. Which, isn't true, is it? Both could be a threat, the masked could be the threat and unmaskrd not or vice versa?

I cover my mouth and nose, but my sneezing may well just be dust, so even if I didn't, I would be less of a threat than someone sneezing into a mask who is contagious, because any spread from me is not dangerous, however the stuff that gets through the mask from a contagious person is.

"

I am guessing you do that to be mindful of other people around you? The same as you would do if you coughed, you would put your hand over your mouth? Obviously it might not stop everything that comes out of your mouth but it will limit what does which in turn will limit what other people will catch from you if it was say a common cold

As non of us know if we have covid until you get the symptoms or that we are a carrier then masks will do the exact same thing as you do when you sneeze, limit anything that is coming out of your mouth

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I have only skimmed through that but it doesn't seem as definitive as you are suggesting

I'm not saying it's definitive, I never have, but it does show that the case for Masks is very much thinner than most believe "

But better than nothing

The link you linked to was in answer to someone asking for the proof that says wearing a mask is no more effective than not wearing a mask when it comes to stopping the spread of Covid . The article doesn't really do that

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"

{snip}

As non of us know if we have covid until you get the symptoms or that we are a carrier then masks will do the exact same thing as you do when you sneeze, limit anything that is coming out of your mouth

"

This is the bottom line isn't it. Unless you have just done a test, and not come into contact with anyone since that test. We are all in an unknown state.

Therefore, any (however small) reduction in our ability to transmit the virus must be a good thing?

Wearing a mask seems a sensible (and not particularly onerous) thing to do. As do some of the other "lesser" restrictions mentioned.

A phrase that seems to have gone out of fashion in recent years springs to mind; "for the greater good".

"

{snip}

This is the bottom line isn't it. Unless you have just done a test, and not come into contact with anyone since that test. We are all in an unknown state.

Therefore, any (however small) reduction in our ability to transmit the virus must be a good thing?

Wearing a mask seems a sensible (and not particularly onerous) thing to do. As do some of the other "lesser" restrictions mentioned.

A phrase that seems to have gone out of fashion in recent years springs to mind; "for the greater good"."

Sadly we do seem to have become a more selfish a self absorbed society.

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

London (till 19th May)

No because as with all the other restrictions it just becomes a confusion of conflicting rules and regulations. The other week took a bed to the local waste recycling centre struggling to get a king size mattress out of the car so Mrs got out to help. Immediately was shouted at by one of the council employees that only one person was allowed out the car. There was nobody else at the dump at the time and we were outside. 5 miles up the road there were 50,000 supporters sitting side by side in St James Park it make rules look stupid.

"I have only skimmed through that but it doesn't seem as definitive as you are suggesting

I'm not saying it's definitive, I never have, but it does show that the case for Masks is very much thinner than most believe

But better than nothing

The link you linked to was in answer to someone asking for the proof that says wearing a mask is no more effective than not wearing a mask when it comes to stopping the spread of Covid . The article doesn't really do that"

But it does pull at the threads of the almost religiously fanatical assertions of some people that Masks do as much as they think they do.

I am guessing you do that to be mindful of other people around you? The same as you would do if you coughed, you would put your hand over your mouth? Obviously it might not stop everything that comes out of your mouth but it will limit what does which in turn will limit what other people will catch from you if it was say a common cold

"

To me, they don't, it's never been proven fully that they are really that effective, just as it hasn't been proven that they are in effective. That isn't my issue, it's that there is a division created between two sides, like many other issues, where there are rights and wrongs and grey areas, and that nobody is actually right. But everyone's still shouting at each other over a visual cue, the mask, regardless of the fact that it is essentially just that, a symbol, like flags on the opposite sides of battlefields, one side no mask on the flag, the other side mask on the flag, and one side thinks the other is a threat to their health or their freedoms respectively. And yet both sides are taking damage from each other.

By *heNaturistCoupleCouple  over a year ago

crewe

I think people are free to take whatever restrictions they wish, past present and future.

We do not think we should see the compelling of restrictions at the present time, the effects of large spread are necessary and producing expected hospitalisation and death which is relatively small.

Everybody is free to do what they wish and we wish you well with your choice.

Restrictions, except in a very limited way, are not going to return.

That is because the disease is now expected to be endemic: Everyone is going to get it within a few years. Even those vaccination-protected are going to contract the disease.

To that effect, if you do not want the vaccination but still intend to be sociable, you should wear some respiratory protection (along the lines of FFP3 levels, definitely not the surgical-mask basic-level protection). With the understanding that with an *endemic* disease, you *are* going to contract it, and quite soon.

For those worried about the side-effects of the vaccines (blood-clots/Heart inflammation/etc), data so far is that *all* those side effects are *seen more frequently* in people who contract the disease.

if you are one of those people that think the vaccine/s are going to alter your DNA, and you'll wake-up one morning and find your penis has shrunk to 10mm (1-cm) length, or has expanded to 1-metre (1000-mm) length, you are beyond hope, and probably cannot read anyway.

#endof

Forum Mod

O o O oo

To me, they don't, it's never been proven fully that they are really that effective, just as it hasn't been proven that they are in effective. That isn't my issue, it's that there is a division created between two sides, like many other issues, where there are rights and wrongs and grey areas, and that nobody is actually right. But everyone's still shouting at each other over a visual cue, the mask, regardless of the fact that it is essentially just that, a symbol, like flags on the opposite sides of battlefields, one side no mask on the flag, the other side mask on the flag, and one side thinks the other is a threat to their health or their freedoms respectively. And yet both sides are taking damage from each other. "

I don't know what sites you are using but I havn't seen any of what you say.

The point you seem to be missing or disregarding is it isn't about right or wrong, it is about thinking of others

If you cover your mouth for coughing or sneezing to be mindful of others, then a mask would do the same thing if you had covid and didn't know it.

To me, they don't, it's never been proven fully that they are really that effective, just as it hasn't been proven that they are in effective. That isn't my issue, it's that there is a division created between two sides, like many other issues, where there are rights and wrongs and grey areas, and that nobody is actually right. But everyone's still shouting at each other over a visual cue, the mask, regardless of the fact that it is essentially just that, a symbol, like flags on the opposite sides of battlefields, one side no mask on the flag, the other side mask on the flag, and one side thinks the other is a threat to their health or their freedoms respectively. And yet both sides are taking damage from each other.

The point you seem to be missing or disregarding is it isn't about right or wrong, it is about thinking of others

If you cover your mouth for coughing or sneezing to be mindful of others, then a mask would do the same thing if you had covid and didn't know it.

"

That is only true if there was some sort of standard to Masks, if everyone was wearing the types you get when you go into A&E then fair, I'd agree that wearing those make people safer, but they aren't, most people are wearing tesco specials, shit they got on Etsy or Facebook or wish, knocked together by people with money on their mind using any old shit material.

Now, I do wear a mask, contrary to my stance, and my mask is pretty expensive, made by a company with a fuck load of experimental textiles experience, in fact one of the first clothing companies to start manufacturing and donating Masks when this shit all kicked off. Would I put faith in my mask protecting me and other? Yes. But vast amounts of people aren't wearing them.

Tin town

That is only true if there was some sort of standard to Masks, if everyone was wearing the types you get when you go into A&E then fair, I'd agree that wearing those make people safer, but they aren't, most people are wearing tesco specials, shit they got on Etsy or Facebook or wish, knocked together by people with money on their mind using any old shit material.

Now, I do wear a mask, contrary to my stance, and my mask is pretty expensive, made by a company with a fuck load of experimental textiles experience, in fact one of the first clothing companies to start manufacturing and donating Masks when this shit all kicked off. Would I put faith in my mask protecting me and other? Yes. But vast amounts of people aren't wearing them. "

What can you do about them?

Now, I do wear a mask, contrary to my stance, and my mask is pretty expensive, made by a company with a fuck load of experimental textiles experience, in fact one of the first clothing companies to start manufacturing and donating Masks when this shit all kicked off. Would I put faith in my mask protecting me and other? Yes. But vast amounts of people aren't wearing them.

What can you do about them? "

Do about what?

Tin town

Do about what? "

The vast amounts of people not wearing them?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

You are still missing the point or ignoring the point I am making

Your hand isn't going to stop all of a cough or sneeze but you still put your hand over your mouth.

I am happy if someone has something over their mouth , be that a scarf, Tesco mask or a mask that costs you a fortune as all will limit what comes out of your mouth be it at varying degrees

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

We would tend to support increased restriction. Social distancing, Mask wearing & reduced attendance at events seem eminently sensible and also relatively low impact on quality of life.

Your hand isn't going to stop all of a cough or sneeze but you still put your hand over your mouth.

I am happy if someone has something over their mouth , be that a scarf, Tesco mask or a mask that costs you a fortune as all will limit what comes out of your mouth be it at varying degrees"

I do it because I was taught manners.

You are happy with that because its like a comfort blanket for you, you can see a visual cue of safety, whether or not what that person is wearing on their face does anything. And that's the problem, too many people have this attachment to a visual cue to decide on their safety. Which brings me back to my earlier statement, people would avoid a perfectly healthy person without a mask and berate them whilst standing next to someone with any old shit on their mush like that person is safer to be next to. When in reality, they probably aren't.

Conditioning.

Do about what?

The vast amounts of people not wearing them? "

If it was up to me, I'd have made the guidelines in the first place mandate a certain quality of Masks, so the ones from A&E, higher quality ones. Because not all Masks are equal. In fact most are shite.

I am happy if someone has something over their mouth , be that a scarf, Tesco mask or a mask that costs you a fortune as all will limit what comes out of your mouth be it at varying degrees"

Exactly, at varying degrees. So Masks are like Russian roulette in reality, that mask wearer you feel so safe next to could just as easily be the ones to infect you as the person that isn't.

Wear them, don't wear them, I personally don't care, but I don't treat those without Masks or jabs as any more of a threat than those with.

That's just the way I see it.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I am happy if someone has something over their mouth , be that a scarf, Tesco mask or a mask that costs you a fortune as all will limit what comes out of your mouth be it at varying degrees

I do it because I was taught manners.

You are happy with that because its like a comfort blanket for you, you can see a visual cue of safety, whether or not what that person is wearing on their face does anything. And that's the problem, too many people have this attachment to a visual cue to decide on their safety. Which brings me back to my earlier statement, people would avoid a perfectly healthy person without a mask and berate them whilst standing next to someone with any old shit on their mush like that person is safer to be next to. When in reality, they probably aren't.

Conditioning.

"

Yet again you ignore what I am typing and assume instead

If you do it for manners, it is a shame you don't think the same to limit the spread of covid.

If you actually read my posts you will see how incorrect you are and how I didn't say they are safe or perfect, just that they limit what comes out , just like your hand limits your sneeze.