FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Covid test

Covid test

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How accurate are those rapid tests? I have a continuous cough, and shortness off breath, done 3 test all clear, is it worth getting a proper test done

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

They are very accurate if done properly, but they aren't 100%. I'd get a pcr test done if you have symptoms, just to be on the safe side.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"How accurate are those rapid tests? I have a continuous cough, and shortness off breath, done 3 test all clear, is it worth getting a proper test done"

My sister did 3 x LFT tests all negative. Had a PCR it was positive. The guidelines do say to get a PCR if you have symptoms.

"They are very accurate if done properly, but they aren't 100%. I'd get a pcr test done if you have symptoms, just to be on the safe side. "

They aren't all that accurate, it depends how much viral load is present at the time.

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

They're accurate if done correctly but are less sensitive than PCR tests.

If you have symptoms of civic it's best to book a PCR test to be more sure.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

To my mind as a lay person three negative tests is pretty clear. But,as other people have said a test is only accurate if it's carried out properly.

I'd book a PCR if I were you.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

Lft are not one 100 per cent accurate I've taken loads with work and when I recently caught covid .One was positive with a very faint line that didn't show until 20 mins after I took the test the next two were negative even though I did have it at that stage . Later on that evening the next 2 showed positive at that stage I was already showing signs and make sure you swab as far back your throat as possible.

If you are showing symptoms or think you may have it get a PCR they are the only ones that are accurate. Lft are known as not as reliable as people hope they are.

Somewhere in Co. Down

"They are very accurate if done properly, but they aren't 100%. I'd get a pcr test done if you have symptoms, just to be on the safe side.

They aren't all that accurate, it depends how much viral load is present at the time."

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

Agree with all comments above. Definitely get PCR. Hope you feel better soon

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"How accurate are those rapid tests? I have a continuous cough, and shortness off breath, done 3 test all clear, is it worth getting a proper test done"

Yes. If you have symptoms you are supposed to do a PCR test, not a rapid LFT.

evesham

"Lft are not one 100 per cent accurate I've taken loads with work and when I recently caught covid .One was positive with a very faint line that didn't show until 20 mins after I took the test the next two were negative even though I did have it at that stage . Later on that evening the next 2 showed positive at that stage I was already showing signs and make sure you swab as far back your throat as possible.

If you are showing symptoms or think you may have it get a PCR they are the only ones that are accurate. Lft are known as not as reliable as people hope they are. "

You are meant to wait 15-20 mins for the results anyway. Dont just drop the sample then expect a result straight away b

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Lft are not one 100 per cent accurate I've taken loads with work and when I recently caught covid .One was positive with a very faint line that didn't show until 20 mins after I took the test the next two were negative even though I did have it at that stage . Later on that evening the next 2 showed positive at that stage I was already showing signs and make sure you swab as far back your throat as possible.

If you are showing symptoms or think you may have it get a PCR they are the only ones that are accurate. Lft are known as not as reliable as people hope they are.

You are meant to wait 15-20 mins for the results anyway. Dont just drop the sample then expect a result straight away b"

Yes I know that thanks but a lot if people don't realise that and do them and throw them out straight away when they see just the one line.

My husband and I both did the rapid tests. Mine came back positive on Wednesday. Husband's was negative. We both had PCR tests on Thursday and his actually came back positive

By *rouble1977Woman  over a year ago

Hull

If they are the only symptoms then it could be something else and not covid

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

They are very accurate when giving negative results but may give false positives

evesham

"My husband and I both did the rapid tests. Mine came back positive on Wednesday. Husband's was negative. We both had PCR tests on Thursday and his actually came back positive

"

He could have ciyght it from you between tests though I guess

"They are very accurate when giving negative results but may give false positives"

Other way round. Sensitivity good, specificity not so good even when used properly (for LFT). RT-PCR has super accurate PPV/NPV despite what some muppet on YouTube says.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Mate get checked out have you not seen the gov announcement's on tv about having a continuous chough for over 3 weeks? See your doctor.

You should always get a proper test done too if you’re showing symptoms. The Lat flow tests aren’t perfect in all cases, whilst if they show a positive they are highly likely to be correct there’s a large enough chance that when displaying symptoms and a negative result is shown it could be failing to show the presence of c-19.

X

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi sorry i abondoned post was really ill had a test done at a drive through centre all negative much better now anyway

By *orayFWoman  over a year ago

Moray

Lateral flow tests are ONLY appropriate for asymptomatic testing. If you have symptoms, please isolate and organise a PCR test ASAP. Good luck. x

By *orayFWoman  over a year ago

Moray

"If it's a cold flu or even sneezes they show as Covid. All manipulated. "

No they don't!

False.

By *traight_no_iceMan  over a year ago

Stoke

I picked a bad cold from my latest trip (just coughing fits that were bringing tears in my eyes for a whole day. Also runny nose but no shortness of breath).

At the same time I had to do do the required day 2 post travel PCR test. PCR result came negative.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

More BS posted - it's harmful to post incorrect information. Please, do everyone a favour and make some simple checks, take a breath, so that you don't spread dangerous nonsense again

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

. It’s a sad state of affairs when people’s mental picture of the world becomes so detached from reality.

I've been doing the LFT's for months now and they've always come back negative so surely they must be correct. I'm always very careful when I'm out too and wash my hands thoroughly when I come home so I must be doing something right x

By *appy 2 lickMan  over a year ago

lanarkshire

The USA has stopped LTF tests as they say they are not fit for purpose

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"The USA has stopped LTF tests as they say they are not fit for purpose

"

Depends what purpose they are used for. They good for picking up asymptomatic infections. They are not good for proving people are clear of covid, certainly a single test isn't, a lot of false negatives but almost no false positives. The USA has authorized vaccination for 5 to 11 year Olds should follow their policy on that as well.

By *appy 2 lickMan  over a year ago

lanarkshire

Depends what purpose they are used for. They good for picking up asymptomatic infections. They are not good for proving people are clear of covid, certainly a single test isn't, a lot of false negatives but almost no false positives. The USA has authorized vaccination for 5 to 11 year Olds should follow their policy on that as well."

They used LTF tests at a festival in Glasgow about 8 weeks ago you had to have a negative test to get in but they had 550 covid cases at the event so they are not that good.

Also you need covid passport for big events in Scotland but the people working at them don't I know someone who is a steward at football they don't need the passport

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Depends what purpose they are used for. They good for picking up asymptomatic infections. They are not good for proving people are clear of covid, certainly a single test isn't, a lot of false negatives but almost no false positives. The USA has authorized vaccination for 5 to 11 year Olds should follow their policy on that as well.They used LTF tests at a festival in Glasgow about 8 weeks ago you had to have a negative test to get in but they had 550 covid cases at the event so they are not that good.

Also you need covid passport for big events in Scotland but the people working at them don't I know someone who is a steward at football they don't need the passport "

That is the problem with LFTs too many false negatives.

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

I had a pcr test it was negative thank god ..

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

They're bringing in rapid tests now - they had stopped using them.

Given the recent lab scandal, LFT may be a line of defence - plenty of people reporting multiple positive LFTs but negative PCR.

» Add a new message to this topic