FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Pandemic over in a year

Pandemic over in a year

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *igNick1381 OP   Man  over a year ago

BRIDGEND

Pandemic could be over in a year, Moderna boss says

The boss of vaccine manufacturer Moderna says he believes the pandemic could be over in a year.

Stéphane Bancel says vaccine production means everyone in the world should be able to get vaccinated by mid-2022.

And those who don't get jabbed will "immunise themselves naturally" as the Delta strain is so infectious, leading to a situation similar to the flu.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

BRIDGEND

Now everybody, when you all write your lists for Santa let's all ask for the same thing, right

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

I struggle to believe that everyone will have been offered their vaccinations across the world by mid 2022. Nice thought though

BRIDGEND

"I struggle to believe that everyone will have been offered their vaccinations across the world by mid 2022. Nice thought though"

It would be

It'll be the '3rd world' countries that'll be the difficulty

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

Having said that some of the poorer nations have done better than us in terms of locking down and preventing deaths.

Although if poorer nations have shorter life expectancies, it may not be a fair comparison.

BRIDGEND

Also from sky news today

Professor Dame Sarah Gilbert and Sir John Bell have both said coronavirus will eventually cause illness which are as mild as a common cold, playing down fears of a more deadly variant and adding the UK "is over the worst".

Professor Sir John Bell, regius professor of medicine at Oxford University, said the virus could resemble the common cold by spring next year as people's immunity to the virus is boosted by vaccines and exposure.

Again, positive news

Should this come to fruition then you'd expect a rollback on all measures such as vaccine passports and lockdown events

By *EloveMan  over a year ago

the Pool of Life

That would be just amazing- I would so love that along with the rest of us.

I'll save my victory dance until I see it - but here's hoping

By *EloveMan  over a year ago

the Pool of Life

Ps it does sound a bit too good to be possible, especially the vaccines for all by next y idea, bit who knows.

By *heNaturistCoupleCouple  over a year ago

crewe

"Also from sky news today

Professor Dame Sarah Gilbert and Sir John Bell have both said coronavirus will eventually cause illness which are as mild as a common cold, playing down fears of a more deadly variant and adding the UK "is over the worst".

Professor Sir John Bell, regius professor of medicine at Oxford University, said the virus could resemble the common cold by spring next year as people's immunity to the virus is boosted by vaccines and exposure.

Again, positive news

Should this come to fruition then you'd expect a rollback on all measures such as vaccine passports and lockdown events"

We hope they are correct but we have some doubt, each variant has been more troublesome than the next and evolutionary pressure from vaccines would suggest the next variant will have a modified spike protein that isn't recognised by the current vaccines.

I've no doubt their hypothesis is correct but when is a trickier question.

In your bed

Again, positive news

Should this come to fruition then you'd expect a rollback on all measures such as vaccine passports and lockdown events

We hope they are correct but we have some doubt, each variant has been more troublesome than the next and evolutionary pressure from vaccines would suggest the next variant will have a modified spike protein that isn't recognised by the current vaccines.

I've no doubt their hypothesis is correct but when is a trickier question."

I think predicting the virus evolution is tricky, in the end it is survival of the fittest and we have no idea if a more deadly or less deadly strain will win out.

crewe

Again, positive news

I think predicting the virus evolution is tricky, in the end it is survival of the fittest and we have no idea if a more deadly or less deadly strain will win out.

"

Deadly strains almost never win out in the long run, it's the nature of evolution, they want you alive to breed in as long as possible, the healthier they leave you the more you'll travel and likely spread.

Transmittablity has been the evolutionary jump in all the variants, maybe that's peaked with Delta?.

I'd definitely expect variants in spike proteins that circumvent the current vaccines.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Again, positive news

Should this come to fruition then you'd expect a rollback on all measures such as vaccine passports and lockdown events"

I'm really hoping they are right.

"I struggle to believe that everyone will have been offered their vaccinations across the world by mid 2022. Nice thought though

It would be

"

Like Wales for example.... lol juat joking before people get knickers in a twist

By *0shadesOfFilthMan  over a year ago

nearby

Far from over

£900 million extra national insurance contributions to be paid by NHS and care workers.

BRIDGEND

"I struggle to believe that everyone will have been offered their vaccinations across the world by mid 2022. Nice thought though

It would be

Like Wales for example.... lol juat joking before people get knickers in a twist"

I'm from Wales

You bastard lol

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

"Far from over

£900 million extra national insurance contributions to be paid by NHS and care workers.

"

???

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

No more lockdowns, no more furlough and one booster

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Pandemic will end but Covid will become endemic. It’s not going to disappear.

teleford

Again, positive news

Deadly strains almost never win out in the long run, it's the nature of evolution, they want you alive to breed in as long as possible, the healthier they leave you the more you'll travel and likely spread.

Transmittablity has been the evolutionary jump in all the variants, maybe that's peaked with Delta?.

I'd definitely expect variants in spike proteins that circumvent the current vaccines."

Nothing to say that a vaccine circumventing change to spike proteins will not also be a mutation that causes higher mortality in its victims..

By *aussageMan  over a year ago

sherborne

It's not working in Israel, one of the most vaccinated countries in the world

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Again, positive news

"

Whilst we have high numbers of people anywhere who are getting infected, it provides the opportunities for the virus mutations to proliferate - most will be useless and will die out but enough could sustain new variants that become problems for us. Less than 2% of the world is vaccinated, so there's ample opportunity for new variants to amass. With an opened up world, these can be transported around easily.

It will be great if the mutations are all benign for us and it morphs to become an infection with the severity of something like the cold. Especially if it's a really quick transformation - it's perhaps too optimistic to expect that, whilst so few people are vaccinated and inroads into the piorer nations are probably going to be slower than mid 2022.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"It's not working in Israel, one of the most vaccinated countries in the world "

How does the research evidence reveal things to have been, without having had such high vaccination levels?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

We don't know what the future holds.

crewe

Again, positive news

I'd definitely expect variants in spike proteins that circumvent the current vaccines.

Nothing to say that a vaccine circumventing change to spike proteins will not also be a mutation that causes higher mortality in its victims.."

From the research I've read it would appear that it's the spike protein doing most of the damage, it's possible that any changes to it could stop it being so problematic, fingers crossed.

By *aussageMan  over a year ago

sherborne

"It's not working in Israel, one of the most vaccinated countries in the world

How does the research evidence reveal things to have been, without having had such high vaccination levels? "

Israel has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world. They are also already on their 3rd shots, with a potential 4th shot coming out next year. They also have one of the highest covid rates per 100,000 people in the world. Clearly the policy has failed.

"It's not working in Israel, one of the most vaccinated countries in the world "

That’s irrelevant we have different weather and a different language.

By *otsMan  over a year ago

Higham

Thats just rubbish this will gone on decades until every country has vaccinated or people prone to the virus has had it.

Third world countries, even some first world are struggling to vacinate or isolate it.

teleford

"Thats just rubbish this will gone on decades until every country has vaccinated or people prone to the virus has had it.

Third world countries, even some first world are struggling to vacinate or isolate it."

Hence it’s true to say pandemic comes to an end because the disease becomes endemic

By *traight_no_iceMan  over a year ago

Stoke

"It's not working in Israel, one of the most vaccinated countries in the world

How does the research evidence reveal things to have been, without having had such high vaccination levels?

Israel has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world. They are also already on their 3rd shots, with a potential 4th shot coming out next year. They also have one of the highest covid rates per 100,000 people in the world. Clearly the policy has failed."

The stats in Israel do not look so bad. From The Times of Israel:

Health Ministry data has indicated that 85 percent of new serious COVID-19 patients under the age of 60 hadn’t received any vaccine dose, according to the Ynet news site. Just 2.3% of them received three vaccine doses, and the rest got two doses.

In total, over 70% of all current serious COVID-19 patients are unvaccinated.

The Health Ministry said on Wednesday that 4,800 new coronavirus cases were confirmed the previous day, as testing dipped slightly over the first day of the Sukkot _estival.

The rate of positive tests was 4.7%, the lowest in 1.5 months.

The ministry also said that, as of Wednesday morning, 6,073,103 Israelis have received at least one vaccine dose, 5,593,597 have gotten two shots and 3,104,708 have been administered a booster. The total population, including children who can’t be vaccinated, is around 9.3 million.

There were 74,898 active cases, including 1,123 in hospitals. Of them, 723 were in serious condition, including 251 defined as critical.

The death toll grew by 15 overnight and reached 7,582.

The experts who created the vaccines and have studied viruses for most their lives are far more qualified to give predictions on this than any of us. Yes they could be wrong nothing in life can be predicted to 100%. It's a case of hope for the best and prepare for the worst. However other pandemics have come to an end throughout history and have become endemic. If Covid loses its ability to kill on mass and cause severe illness then that would vastly improve the situation.

The Spanish flu pandemic ended after about 2 years.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"The Spanish flu pandemic ended after about 2 years."

Yup it just fizzled out but did take quiet a few people with it because there were just no vaccines then.

So many people say just rely on your immune system but they soon start bitching when it gets to them

Manchester (she/her)

"The Spanish flu pandemic ended after about 2 years."

I'm glad we're able to protect people more than we could then.

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

[Removed by poster at 25/09/21 12:24:18]

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

"The Spanish flu pandemic ended after about 2 years.

I'm glad we're able to protect people more than we could then. "

We can only protect those who want protecting. America has now just lost more of it's citizens than those who perished during the Spanish flu pandemic.

Manchester (she/her)

I'm glad we're able to protect people more than we could then.

We can only protect those who want protecting. America has now just lost more of it's citizens than those who perished during the Spanish flu pandemic."

Yes. But we have better medical care and more ability to isolate. Misinformation definitely kills, but vaccination, medical advances, and remote working have saved countless lives

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

I am sure someone said it would be over in a year last year.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Again, positive news

Nothing to say that a vaccine circumventing change to spike proteins will not also be a mutation that causes higher mortality in its victims.."

Now you are getting far too technical....next thing you know you'll be using big words.

Will the virus fade away, I've no idea but historically they tend to do so.

Also, Brexit etc will raise its head again and the media will jump on sensational headlines, like after eight and yule log shortages and this pesky virus will at last know its place.

The virus must be over as just been to Tescos and very few wearing masks.

Came over on a ferry from Fuertuventura to Lanzarote the other day, top deck with spray and wind, staff member pointed to me and shouted mask, mask.

Thought on a wave and wind swept outside deck wouldn't need one but happy to put one on.

The difference over there was the uptake by children, can't get the masks off them, them love them.

I'm glad we're able to protect people more than we could then. "

Ditto. I'm just trying to be optimistic about this being over 1 day.

By *had MichaelMichaelsMan  over a year ago

tobermore

Where's all the misinformation coming from...?

By *w-StudMan  over a year ago

manchster

Is this a new pandemic he is talking about or the same 3 weeks to flatten the curve

By *teveuk77Man  over a year ago

uk

Again, positive news

I've no doubt their hypothesis is correct but when is a trickier question."

you only get to hear about the more trublesome variants because the less troublesome ones, well, they just vanish...

"

you only get to hear about the more troublesome variants because the less troublesome ones, well, they just vanish..."

They still circulate, they're just don't spread as easily as the main variant.

There have been 14 different variants circulating in the UK, the main variant being the delta variant. There are 3 strains around at the moment, the B.1.617.2 AY.1 AY.2 (delta), the B.1.1.7 (alpha) and the B.1.351 (beta).

As soon as a variants arrives that escapes the current vaccines (and it is only a matter of time), you'll know about it.

crewe

"

you only get to hear about the more troublesome variants because the less troublesome ones, well, they just vanish...

There have been 14 different variants circulating in the UK, the main variant being the delta variant. There are 3 strains around at the moment, the B.1.617.2 AY.1 AY.2 (delta), the B.1.1.7 (alpha) and the B.1.351 (beta).

As soon as a variants arrives that escapes the current vaccines (and it is only a matter of time), you'll know about it."

Actually Delta is doing is a favour in some respects, it's so transmittable everywhere it goes it wipes out all other variants in a matter of months, according to the ons it's prevalence in the UK is 99.9%.

This could help keep out variants that escape vaccine immunity.

In your bed

"

you only get to hear about the more troublesome variants because the less troublesome ones, well, they just vanish...

As soon as a variants arrives that escapes the current vaccines (and it is only a matter of time), you'll know about it.

Actually Delta is doing is a favour in some respects, it's so transmittable everywhere it goes it wipes out all other variants in a matter of months, according to the ons it's prevalence in the UK is 99.9%.

This could help keep out variants that escape vaccine immunity."

Its the covid equivalent of the grey squirrel.

"

This could help keep out variants that escape vaccine immunity.

Its the covid equivalent of the grey squirrel. "

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

Everyone seems to have given up on masks, so I’m assuming everything is fine now.

"Everyone seems to have given up on masks, so I’m assuming everything is fine now. "

Given up? The law was changed so we don’t need to any more (except in London). Why wear one when it’s not mandatory and you’re double vaccinated?

Our protection at the moment is the best it’s going to get

"Everyone seems to have given up on masks, so I’m assuming everything is fine now.

Given up? The law was changed so we don’t need to any more (except in London). Why wear one when it’s not mandatory and you’re double vaccinated?

Our protection at the moment is the best it’s going to get "

Which could easily be a fatal mistake.

The assumption that because you have been vaccinated, you are protected.

I'll just throw-in that the much quoted '98% protection against symptomatic disease' covers a wide area of misunderstanding. How good is it/are they, at preventing asymptomatic disease?

If you do become infected, with no symptoms, how possible is it that you can spread the disease?

The vaccine effectiveness varies widely as well....very low in immunocompromised people to quite high in others (that's a wide range, the '98% effective' claims are an average).

Wearing some sort of facemask protects others. Nice to see many are not interested in protecting others. At least wear one near children?

Nah...they don't get ill (false presumption).

I suppose people are following the lead of John F Kennedy?

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission"

John F. Kennedy

Chez/Sheff

It’s now an endemic.

"Everyone seems to have given up on masks, so I’m assuming everything is fine now.

I'll just throw-in that the much quoted '98% protection against symptomatic disease' covers a wide area of misunderstanding. How good is it/are they, at preventing asymptomatic disease?

If you do become infected, with no symptoms, how possible is it that you can spread the disease?

The vaccine effectiveness varies widely as well....very low in immunocompromised people to quite high in others (that's a wide range, the '98% effective' claims are an average).

Wearing some sort of facemask protects others. Nice to see many are not interested in protecting others. At least wear one near children?

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission"

John F. Kennedy

"

Ever single decision in life could be “a fatal mistake”. There comes a point where you have to look at the odds and make your choice.

Using this logic (I need a mask even though I’m fully vaccinated and the law says I don’t need one) - means you’ll be stuck wearing a mask forever.

Personally I’d rather not live my life being afraid of catching the virus. I have to have confidence and faith in the scientists that created these vaccines, and I do.

If this was earlier in the year I would have had more compassion, but now we’re at the stage where everyone has had the chance to have the vaccine and I no longer care about protecting those that chose not to get it. I need to live my life.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Our protection at the moment is the best it’s going to get "

except in london???

[Removed by poster at 30/09/21 13:24:43]

except in london???"

Yeah in London you still need to wear masks on public transport and in museums etc

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

except in london???

Yeah in London you still need to wear masks on public transport and in museums etc"

they may be policing it in central london on tfl outside if that not so much,i travel through two london boroughs on my way to work and belive me its a minority of people masking up on the bus,there not sposed to be packing the busses out either but most mornings one of the busses i get on i end up standing as there no seats left by time i get on

Chez/Sheff

Still need to wear a mask to visit healthcare.

Doesn’t that tell us all something?

[Removed by poster at 30/09/21 15:19:33]

John F. Kennedy

"

So are you going to wear a mask forever?

Evidence suggests 'asymptomatic' people transmit it less than those who have symptoms, which makes sense - if you're asymptomatic then you're not going to be coughing, sneezing etc.

Evidence also suggests that masks have a negligible effect on transmission, particularly the cloth types that a lot of people wear. You're not going to catch COVID from walking past someone in the supermarket.

And why wear one near children when they are at no risk?

Chez/Sheff

The kids still get it and pass it on.

As for mask wearing, I don’t know.

I’ve had a number of functions which I’d been invited to cancelled recently because people with health conditions were concerned about the risk.

I get that everyone is bored of Covid now, I’m trying to assess the real risk.

Chez/Sheff

I do think masks are a deterrent in that if you’re coughing and sneezing you’d rather stay home than go out and sneeze in your mask!

"The kids still get it and pass it on.

As for mask wearing, I don’t know.

I’ve had a number of functions which I’d been invited to cancelled recently because people with health conditions were concerned about the risk.

I get that everyone is bored of Covid now, I’m trying to assess the real risk. "

Young children are less likely to spread it. And anyway, if they're spreading it to vaccinated adults, what's the problem? COVID ain't going anyway anytime soon, we have to live with it.

If you want to wear a mask, you're welcome to but don't expect everyone else to just to make you feel 'safer'.

» Add a new message to this topic