FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > When's the next lockdown?

When's the next lockdown?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just checked the stats. UK new Covid cases Oct 13th = 41,446

And that graph is creeping up. And it's hard to see how it won't go higher and higher as people mix around Xmas.

(The 1 "good" thing seems to be that deaths are relatively low for such a high infection rate. If over a hundred deaths a day can even be said to be "good".)

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

After sad-dick-khan cancelled the NYE party in London I'd say it's already in the post. I'd bet my bollox to a barn dance he has the word already

By *irky_coupleCouple  over a year ago

kirky

Would say infection rate is immaterial. Comes down to hospitalisation and death rates.

By *rmrsbowlerCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

Cases aren't hospital admissions or deaths, they are positive tests and not just pcr which is the most reliable one. If for example there are 75000 tests per day in England the rest of Europe will probably only test 10% of that so cases appear lower.

"Would say infection rate is immaterial. Comes down to hospitalisation and death rates."

Hospitalisation is a real problem indeed. If that gets too big, the whole NHS is in real trouble.

Infection rate is potentially really bad, though. When a virus is mixing around among a large number of people, chances of mutation go up. If we develop a vaccine resistant strain, we're really fucked.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I suspect it'll mostly depend on what happens with flu etc. The powers that be have decided that the current situation is fine - but winter pressures may make things more challenging. Can but see. I've got no idea what or how they're thinking.

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

"I suspect it'll mostly depend on what happens with flu etc. The powers that be have decided that the current situation is fine - but winter pressures may make things more challenging. Can but see. I've got no idea what or how they're thinking."

I think most of us are prepared for what they called a circuit breaker this time last year.

How effective it was - or would be again - I’ve no idea.

I must confess I’ve been living life pretty much ‘back to normal’ - but I still keep my eye on the covid stats lately to see if the increasing number of cases equate to an increasing number of deaths - and sadly I think they will.

"I suspect it'll mostly depend on what happens with flu etc. The powers that be have decided that the current situation is fine - but winter pressures may make things more challenging. Can but see. I've got no idea what or how they're thinking.

I think most of us are prepared for what they called a circuit breaker this time last year.

How effective it was - or would be again - I’ve no idea.

I must confess I’ve been living life pretty much ‘back to normal’ - but I still keep my eye on the covid stats lately to see if the increasing number of cases equate to an increasing number of deaths - and sadly I think they will. "

Given the sheer number of infections, deaths seem surprisingly low. Hopefully a sign the vaccination effort is working well.

By *ombikerMan  over a year ago

the right side of the river

Oh Santa is cancelled again.

Never, it’s over and done with now.

Government is out - only got to see the covid isolation rules to know that.

By *r naughty1Man  over a year ago

Bexley

Doubt they will lockdown again. They won't want to be starting all the furlough up again.

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

I doubt people will be half as willing to follow any lockdown rules as they were the first time round. I think the government know this so don't want the fight. Also we can't afford another shutdown of everything, although that would probably fix the supply of everything problem

The only thing our beloved NHS is going to be "overwhelmed" by this winter is the huge backlog of other treatments and our weakened immunity against flu etc. as a result of the first two lockdowns. So the answer is not more lockdowns!

Case numbers are completely irrelevant now that the vast majority of the adult population is vaccinated or has natural immunity. Many of the cases are in younger people who are not at risk of serious illness.

If there is another lockdown, I for one will not be complying. We have to live with this thing now.

By *aussageMan  over a year ago

sherborne

I doubt there will be more lockdowns. So no more furlough money for the spongers.

By *ucy DuoCouple  over a year ago

Watford

They were calling it the “October firebreak”, planned for mid / late October to correspond with the majority of school’s half term.

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

"I doubt there will be more lockdowns. So no more furlough money for the spongers."
“Spongers”? The people placed on furlough didn’t place themselves there.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"They were calling it the “October firebreak”, planned for mid / late October to correspond with the majority of school’s half term. "

The firebreak that we should have had last autumn wasn't done, we dithered and delayed, so had to lockdown for months, instead of a week or so.

I can't see a firebreak this year, unless hospitalisations get incredibly high everywhere again. I'm assuming that there will be no further lockdowns but we should manage our behaviour, to ensure that we help to prevent it.

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

"I doubt there will be more lockdowns. So no more furlough money for the spongers."

How on earth were people on furlough spongers? Do you think people had a choice? Talk about ignorant!

"I doubt people will be half as willing to follow any lockdown rules as they were the first time round. I think the government know this so don't want the fight. Also we can't afford another shutdown of everything, although that would probably fix the supply of everything problem "

"Just checked the stats. UK new Covid cases Oct 13th = 41,446

And that graph is creeping up. And it's hard to see how it won't go higher and higher as people mix around Xmas.

(The 1 "good" thing seems to be that deaths are relatively low for such a high infection rate. If over a hundred deaths a day can even be said to be "good".)"

Cases will rise a bit more and then start to fall as we get into winter. The amount of people being infected each week is around 1% to 2% of the population. Has been this way for several months now. That coupled with vaccination rates means that soon the virus will have no where to go, or it’ll continue to spread but it’s effects will be negligible because of existing protection.

In short - there probably won’t be another lockdown. I have no doubt that people will worry and start trying to pressure for one though

(The 1 "good" thing seems to be that deaths are relatively low for such a high infection rate. If over a hundred deaths a day can even be said to be "good".)"

You DOOM MONGERS just love this shit

Prestonish

"They were calling it the “October firebreak”, planned for mid / late October to correspond with the majority of school’s half term.

The firebreak that we should have had last autumn wasn't done, we dithered and delayed, so had to lockdown for months, instead of a week or so.

I can't see a firebreak this year, unless hospitalisations get incredibly high everywhere again. I'm assuming that there will be no further lockdowns but we should manage our behaviour, to ensure that we help to prevent it. "

I’d agree.

I think it’d be reasonable to have a mask mandate in supermarkets/shops etc again - but I’m not sure how effective that would be unless we get back into the habit of using hand gel all the time again - which plays bloody havoc with my skin! X

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

I was expecting October half term, but everyone seems to have given up.

I don’t think there will be another lockdown unless there is a resistant variant and death rates rise again.

By *ewCuriosityMan  over a year ago

shropshire

Obviously its when Boris feels like it

There won't be another lockdown.

Hospitisations and deaths are relatively low, considering its a new disease.

At my kids secondary school, one day this week, 10% of the kids were off with C19. They've had lots of people off already.

With those kind of infection rates ready, coupled with vaccines, this Virus is going to have noone left to infect within a few months.

Short of a substantially different varient, this is the beginning of the end. It's going to sit there in the background like the other normal viruses

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

He wants to see how many daily deaths we will accept before he even considers new measures, we are at winter flu death levels and have been for a while and happily accept it, so time will tell how high we will go before something is said and done

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

England came out of lockdown earlier than most countries, with the timing taking into account anticipated covid and flu numbers through winter and the how that would impact the NHS

The Government advisors expected the rise in covid cases as we are seeing now and hopefully they have projected this correctly, along with adding the booster support.

With the rest of Europe now starting to ease their lockdown rules we should start to see a levelling off of the covid numbers in England and a steady rise in the European numbers. If this happens as they predict, we should hopefully be over the peak and allow the NHS to get through winter.

**I mention England and not the UK as the rest of the UK eased their lockdown rules after England**

It's dependant hospitalisations, but even then the social unrest that would cause, during the holiday season wouldn't be worth it for the government. People would riot, and the restrictions would be pointless.

Central

"They were calling it the “October firebreak”, planned for mid / late October to correspond with the majority of school’s half term.

I can't see a firebreak this year, unless hospitalisations get incredibly high everywhere again. I'm assuming that there will be no further lockdowns but we should manage our behaviour, to ensure that we help to prevent it.

I’d agree.

I think it’d be reasonable to have a mask mandate in supermarkets/shops etc again - but I’m not sure how effective that would be unless we get back into the habit of using hand gel all the time again - which plays bloody havoc with my skin! X"

I think the distancing and mask use makes more sense, as it's an airborne problem via aerosols for many

By *rixieMeWoman  over a year ago

Farfarfar away

I think cold and flu are going to cause more problems over the winter than Covid and potential hospitalisation. I’m just getting over a cold which has turned into a chest infection, passed it to my mum whose been hospitalised and it definitely wasn’t Covid

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

God, your a prophet of Doom, I bet you go bowling with the 4 Horsemen of the apocalypse and Satan himself.

By *ueenbee77Woman  over a year ago

Rotherham

My daughter has it at the moment and my dad. First in my family to get it. Pretty sure I do too

By *tarbeckCouple  over a year ago

york

"I doubt there will be more lockdowns. So no more furlough money for the spongers.

How on earth were people on furlough spongers? Do you think people had a choice? Talk about ignorant!"

By *azylivingMan  over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

"Doubt they will lockdown again. They won't want to be starting all the furlough up again. "

The furlough borrowing has been reinvested by the chancellor to a new centralised bank that sole purpose is to lend money to the uk government to reduce the amount of loans & interest that we owe to other financial institutions

"The only thing our beloved NHS is going to be "overwhelmed" by this winter is the huge backlog of other treatments and our weakened immunity against flu etc. as a result of the first two lockdowns. So the answer is not more lockdowns!

Case numbers are completely irrelevant now that the vast majority of the adult population is vaccinated or has natural immunity. Many of the cases are in younger people who are not at risk of serious illness.

If there is another lockdown, I for one will not be complying. We have to live with this thing now."

There is no long-term immunity.

Infections in the previously-vaccinated are rising, driven by infections in children age 11-16.

(The 1 "good" thing seems to be that deaths are relatively low for such a high infection rate. If over a hundred deaths a day can even be said to be "good".)

Cases will rise a bit more and then start to fall as we get into winter. The amount of people being infected each week is around 1% to 2% of the population. Has been this way for several months now. That coupled with vaccination rates means that soon the virus will have no where to go, or it’ll continue to spread but it’s effects will be negligible because of existing protection.

In short - there probably won’t be another lockdown. I have no doubt that people will worry and start trying to pressure for one though "

As long as no new variant arrives….

Another sad and lonely doom-monger attempting to create an audience of empathy through negativity. Grow up and get a life .....

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

Another sad and lonely doom-monger attempting to create an audience of empathy through negativity. Grow up and get a life ....."

Does debate mean scaremongering ?

All the more reason for us to get vaccinated though.

I genuinely don't think there is any plans at all for another lockdown.

I was in the Shielding group and 2 weeks ago got a letter saying the Shielding scheme has now been permanently closed. That strongly suggests to me the government have a "we have to learn to live with this" approach.

"After sad-dick-khan cancelled the NYE party in London I'd say it's already in the post. I'd bet my bollox to a barn dance he has the word already "

That's actually not entirely true the New Year's Eve party in London is still very much going ahead the fireworks however have been cancelled but replaced with a drone and laser light display.

Central

"I genuinely don't think there is any plans at all for another lockdown.

I was in the Shielding group and 2 weeks ago got a letter saying the Shielding scheme has now been permanently closed. That strongly suggests to me the government have a "we have to learn to live with this" approach."

I think there aren't really plans, as they take effort. They prefer more to have a crisis and to be forced to do something - eventually. The nig money has largely gone, so there's minimal interest now.

Hospitalisation not an issue at the mo. Biggest issue now is the stuff that was ignored during the lockdowns. More lockdown = more problems saved up for the future.

Infections are what they are. Anyone know how many people have the cold right now? Oh yes, we don’t measure that. How about angina? Yup - not measured. Not sure why we’re still measuring covid infection rates…

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"Hospitalisation not an issue at the mo. Biggest issue now is the stuff that was ignored during the lockdowns. More lockdown = more problems saved up for the future.

Infections are what they are. Anyone know how many people have the cold right now? Oh yes, we don’t measure that. How about angina? Yup - not measured. Not sure why we’re still measuring covid infection rates…"

Seems that Wolverhampton lab is already ahead of you with the not measuring infection rates.... on going measuring of infection rates would at least forewarn of a wave hitting hospitals in the even of a surge in cases

"Hospitalisation not an issue at the mo. Biggest issue now is the stuff that was ignored during the lockdowns. More lockdown = more problems saved up for the future.

Infections are what they are. Anyone know how many people have the cold right now? Oh yes, we don’t measure that. How about angina? Yup - not measured. Not sure why we’re still measuring covid infection rates…

Seems that Wolverhampton lab is already ahead of you with the not measuring infection rates.... on going measuring of infection rates would at least forewarn of a wave hitting hospitals in the even of a surge in cases "

Really good example. That lab messed up. Was there a spike in rates? Did anything happen that drew attention to it? No. Was picked up as part of routine QA.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

Infections are what they are. Anyone know how many people have the cold right now? Oh yes, we don’t measure that. How about angina? Yup - not measured. Not sure why we’re still measuring covid infection rates…"

Colds are seasonal. We know each winter that colds come and go. We know the impact of colds.

Angina? That's contagious now?!

We are measuring covid infection rates because it tells us what the virus is doing. Infection rates rise before hospitalisations and deaths. Isn't it therefore a good idea to be alert and act accordingly?

Colds are seasonal. We know each winter that colds come and go. We know the impact of colds.

Angina? That's contagious now?!

We are measuring covid infection rates because it tells us what the virus is doing. Infection rates rise before hospitalisations and deaths. Isn't it therefore a good idea to be alert and act accordingly?

"

Infection rates are no longer vaguely related to hospitalisation or death rates.

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

"I genuinely don't think there is any plans at all for another lockdown.

I was in the Shielding group and 2 weeks ago got a letter saying the Shielding scheme has now been permanently closed. That strongly suggests to me the government have a "we have to learn to live with this" approach."

And all the support schemes have ended.

The reduced vat on hot drinks still applies in m and s cafes tho. Not noticed it anywhere else.

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

Thanks to the guy who sent a ranting message to me from this thread. Awesome.

"There won't be another lockdown.

Hospitisations and deaths are relatively low, considering its a new disease.

At my kids secondary school, one day this week, 10% of the kids were off with C19. They've had lots of people off already.

With those kind of infection rates ready, coupled with vaccines, this Virus is going to have noone left to infect within a few months.

Short of a substantially different varient, this is the beginning of the end. It's going to sit there in the background like the other normal viruses"

Thank you.

Had quite enough of ignorant Doom-mongering

"The only thing our beloved NHS is going to be "overwhelmed" by this winter is the huge backlog of other treatments and our weakened immunity against flu etc. as a result of the first two lockdowns. So the answer is not more lockdowns!

If there is another lockdown, I for one will not be complying. We have to live with this thing now.

Infections in the previously-vaccinated are rising, driven by infections in children age 11-16."

Lol

Of course there is. As there is for all viruses of this nature. It's not 100%, but the immune system builds and builds.

How do you think most people don't die of colds and flu, but we rightly have annual vaccinations for the elderly and vulnerable.

Covid will be no different.

It's also why we're expected to have a lot more flu deaths this year, because we have been fucking up our own natural immune systems for 18 months with lockdowns and daft bits of cloth on our faces.

Infections in the previously-vaccinated are rising, driven by infections in children age 11-16.

Lol

Of course there is. As there is for all viruses of this nature. It's not 100%, but the immune system builds and builds.

How do you think most people don't die of colds and flu, but we rightly have annual vaccinations for the elderly and vulnerable.

Covid will be no different.

It's also why we're expected to have a lot more flu deaths this year, because we have been fucking up our own natural immune systems for 18 months with lockdowns and daft bits of cloth on our faces."

I have a feeling flu deaths will be down this year because, sadly, a lot of the people who are vulnerable to flu have probably already died from Covid.

By *astlincscoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tinsel Town

Doubt another lock down will happen.

But I suppose the doommongers need to post about something.

"Doubt another lock down will happen.

But I suppose the doommongers need to post about something."

It's not about being a doommonger and I think we all need to stop using such divisive language. People are genuinely worried and that shouldn't be dismissed.

I know I am trying to be more careful in the language i use because I might not agree with someone but actually this could be their only way of venting how they're feeling so I think that's something we should all try to Bear in mind a bit.

When's the next lockdown? – If ever there was a ‘doom laden’ question!

Just checked the stats. UK new Covid cases Oct 13th = 41,446. And that graph is creeping up. – ‘Creeping up’ is not end of days.

And it's hard to see how it won't go higher and higher as people mix around Xmas. – Why should Xmas events be any different to the full-on attendance at sports events, gigs, public transport, overseas travel that are all happening now and have been for past 2 months?

(The 1 "good" thing seems to be that deaths are relatively low for such a high infection rate. If over a hundred deaths a day can even be said to be "good".) – Hey amazing … perhaps the vaccines are working!

By *ilver Fox 60Man  over a year ago

Southport

They should never have relaxed the mask-wearing rules.

Manchester (she/her)

It's funny it's seen as doom mongering. Personally I prefer to be on top of what's happening so I can plan accordingly, rather than denying what's going on.

Cookstown

"they" didn't stop us wearing them "we" did

Well some of us will wear them anyway.

Manchester (she/her)

""they" didn't stop us wearing them "we" did

Well some of us will wear them anyway."

I still wear them - and firmly ignore those who shout at me for it.

They didn't apply for it they had no choice I feel sorry for all those made redundant and lost businesses not by misfortune by government you want to put brain in gear before gobbling off

By *luns1Man  over a year ago

Preston

I completely agree with your comment. I was placed on furlough and after 7 months was made redundant from a job I'd been in for 19 years.
"I doubt there will be more lockdowns. So no more furlough money for the spongers. “Spongers”? The people placed on furlough didn’t place themselves there. "

Terra Firma

I still wear them - and firmly ignore those who shout at me for it."

People actually shout at you for wearing a mask, strangers or people you know?

Manchester (she/her)

People actually shout at you for wearing a mask, strangers or people you know? "

Strangers. Hanging out of cars mostly.

Excuse me for being between shops on the high street and not wanting to touch my face

Terra Firma

Excuse me for being between shops on the high street and not wanting to touch my face "

Blimey!

Manchester (she/her)

Excuse me for being between shops on the high street and not wanting to touch my face

Blimey! "

Says more about them than me.

By *ore4fundevonCouple  over a year ago

West Devon

I went to a local hardware/builders merchants today and despite a sign asking for people to wear a mask on the door, I was the only one wearing one of the 15 or so in there. I tend to do it out of respect for others just in case etc etc but seemingly no one is bothered now.

Terra Firma

"I went to a local hardware/builders merchants today and despite a sign asking for people to wear a mask on the door, I was the only one wearing one of the 15 or so in there. I tend to do it out of respect for others just in case etc etc but seemingly no one is bothered now."

I wear a mask when I go into a shop or anywhere that I feel I would benefit from it. I have noticed I'm certainly in a minority but I feel as though it is worth taking that extra measure for very little effort.

Manchester (she/her)

"I went to a local hardware/builders merchants today and despite a sign asking for people to wear a mask on the door, I was the only one wearing one of the 15 or so in there. I tend to do it out of respect for others just in case etc etc but seemingly no one is bothered now.

I wear a mask when I go into a shop or anywhere that I feel I would benefit from it. I have noticed I'm certainly in a minority but I feel as though it is worth taking that extra measure for very little effort. "

Same. Respect for others, plus I have contact with vulnerable people - if I mitigate to protect myself, I'm less likely to infect them.

Terra Firma

"I went to a local hardware/builders merchants today and despite a sign asking for people to wear a mask on the door, I was the only one wearing one of the 15 or so in there. I tend to do it out of respect for others just in case etc etc but seemingly no one is bothered now.

I wear a mask when I go into a shop or anywhere that I feel I would benefit from it. I have noticed I'm certainly in a minority but I feel as though it is worth taking that extra measure for very little effort.

Same. Respect for others, plus I have contact with vulnerable people - if I mitigate to protect myself, I'm less likely to infect them."

Go fuck yourself !

"I doubt there will be more lockdowns. So no more furlough money for the spongers.

Go fuck yourself !"

Indeed out and out wanton discrimination against the working poor !

By *rauntonbananaMan  over a year ago

Braunton

There isn’t going to be one .. end of .. despite the wishes of a certain sector of the public

By *tephan51Man  over a year ago

Warwick

More lethal " vaccine resistant strain" is the reason no one should have been jabbed, if the original bad flu had been left alone it would be gone now as in every other flu version over the years

Manchester (she/her)

"More lethal " vaccine resistant strain" is the reason no one should have been jabbed, if the original bad flu had been left alone it would be gone now as in every other flu version over the years"

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

"More lethal " vaccine resistant strain" is the reason no one should have been jabbed, if the original bad flu had been left alone it would be gone now as in every other flu version over the years"

“bad flu…” wow, just wow.

Ive had a few large drinks

Cant we just move on now please

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Thick as a whale omelette

Manchester (she/her)

"More lethal " vaccine resistant strain" is the reason no one should have been jabbed, if the original bad flu had been left alone it would be gone now as in every other flu version over the years

Thick as a whale omelette "

It's been doing the rounds on the charlatan websites

By *isces WomanWoman  over a year ago

West London

The vaccine is a protein spike inhibitor not a true vaccine that's why you need boosters.

A true vaccine halts transmission and infection.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

I was speaking to an exceptionally well qualified analytical pharmacist from the Horn of Africa this evening on my way home by train; her professional opinion was that the next lockdown would be just after Christmas. Her analysis of the stats were pessimistic.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

Case rates are stubbornly high though was expecting much worse after the end of the last lockdown. As others have said it looks like the vaccine is keeping hospitalization and deaths relatively low. In the news today Russia have 1000 deaths in a day and vaccine take up comparatively low

By *icked weaselCouple  over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

"The vaccine is a protein spike inhibitor not a true vaccine that's why you need boosters.

A true vaccine halts transmission and infection."

In other Words - its Not a Vaccine..

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"The vaccine is a protein spike inhibitor not a true vaccine that's why you need boosters.

Incorrect on both counts.

Cookstown

[Removed by poster at 16/10/21 23:16:26]

Cookstown

A true vaccine halts transmission and infection.

Incorrect on both counts."

It's a gem though ...

Never I bet you got your seat belt on when you go for a walk

By *rShadowBHMan  over a year ago

Nowhere/everywhere

Properly thick.

By *iss SinWoman  over a year ago

portchester

Never

By *ob08Man  over a year ago

Macclesfield

There won't be one, but best stay inside in your tinfoil hat just incase eh?

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

Have you been a virologist all your working life?

Skimmed the replies. Baffling to me that some people rant about doom mongers when it comes to this sort of thing. Is having a discussion _ased on facts being a doom monger? Thoe people must really hate science.

I also find it strange so many of us are just so accepting of all the continuing Covid deaths. Yes the vaccines seem to have helped a lot. But this pandemic is not over, yet many people seem to think it basically is.

Quotes from a senior lecturer in Maths:

“It feels very surreal that we are just accepting the current infection rates. No one is making a fuss about it, but well over 100 people are dying every day due to Covid.".

“The current death rate is equivalent to over 40,000 people a year dying of Covid. This is not normal."

“The government has abandoned all pretence at public health measures to control Covid. It’s a national scandal, but one which seems to have largely slipped from view.”

Sorry if that was a tiny bit off topic.

I think it's increasingly likely we'll see some sort of lockdown shortly before or after Xmas. I think the numbers will get too high and too many hospital beds will fill up. At that point, even a PM who seems to care so little for our lives will have to institute some sort of lockdown to stop the NHS being overwhelmed. (Not that I think he cares about that. He simply won't want the bad headlines with his name attached to it.)

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

"I also find it strange so many of us are just so accepting of all the continuing Covid deaths. Yes the vaccines seem to have helped a lot. But this pandemic is not over, yet many people seem to think it basically is.

“It feels very surreal that we are just accepting the current infection rates. No one is making a fuss about it, but well over 100 people are dying every day due to Covid.".

“The current death rate is equivalent to over 40,000 people a year dying of Covid. This is not normal."

“The government has abandoned all pretence at public health measures to control Covid. It’s a national scandal, but one which seems to have largely slipped from view.”"

The fact is 40,000 deaths is the equivalent of high flu winter. On average we loose around 20,000 people to flu each year. There's been many flu outbreaks that went beyond that for example the winter flu of 69 known as the Hong Kong Flu killed over 100,000 in the UK in just 3 to 4 months but no one battered an eye lid and life went on.

In no way am I comparing flu to covid.

What I am saying is a certain amount of annual deaths is accepted by the government / society when dealing with endemic viruses / disease. The cost of shutting down / lock down of society has huge, far reaching consequences. We are only just starting to be able to see and measure some of the impacts of the 1st lockdowns. My own father is now stage 4 terminal with cancer because all treatment / appointments were stopped in the 1st big lockdown of 2020 and once he was able to explore treatments it became to late for him to be cured.

The cost to mental health, businesses / lively hoods, the numbers of people losing their homes both owners and renters facing eviction notices that are now been processed again. Let's not forget the safety net that caught many (but by no means all) i.e the furlough scheme has ended and the 20% increase to benefits (Universal Credit) has now been removed and government investment is now squarely focused on schemes supporting unemploymed people into work.

The governments are planning to invest millions and are even talking about league tables to kick start GP practices into seeing people face to face again.

When you take into account the far bigger picture its will take the NHS been taken to the brink before the government would consider changing course.

KJ

By *enuineguy76Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I would say end of November; definitely this side of Christmas as this was always on the cards.

"I would say end of November; definitely this side of Christmas as this was always on the cards. "

Doom!

By *heNaturistCoupleCouple  over a year ago

crewe

"I also find it strange so many of us are just so accepting of all the continuing Covid deaths. Yes the vaccines seem to have helped a lot. But this pandemic is not over, yet many people seem to think it basically is.

“The government has abandoned all pretence at public health measures to control Covid. It’s a national scandal, but one which seems to have largely slipped from view.”

The fact is 40,000 deaths is the equivalent of high flu winter. On average we loose around 20,000 people to flu each year. There's been many flu outbreaks that went beyond that for example the winter flu of 69 known as the Hong Kong Flu killed over 100,000 in the UK in just 3 to 4 months but no one battered an eye lid and life went on.

What I am saying is a certain amount of annual deaths is accepted by the government / society when dealing with endemic viruses / disease. The cost of shutting down / lock down of society has huge, far reaching consequences. We are only just starting to be able to see and measure some of the impacts of the 1st lockdowns. My own father is now stage 4 terminal with cancer because all treatment / appointments were stopped in the 1st big lockdown of 2020 and once he was able to explore treatments it became to late for him to be cured.

The cost to mental health, businesses / lively hoods, the numbers of people losing their homes both owners and renters facing eviction notices that are now been processed again. Let's not forget the safety net that caught many (but by no means all) i.e the furlough scheme has ended and the 20% increase to benefits (Universal Credit) has now been removed and government investment is now squarely focused on schemes supporting unemploymed people into work.

The governments are planning to invest millions and are even talking about league tables to kick start GP practices into seeing people face to face again.

When you take into account the far bigger picture its will take the NHS been taken to the brink before the government would consider changing course.

KJ"

Pretty much sums up our feelings as well.

Central

“The government has abandoned all pretence at public health measures to control Covid. It’s a national scandal, but one which seems to have largely slipped from view.”"

It's true that they have increasingly behaved as if there's no issue, kind of like pretending that it's gone, so it must be. Lack of mask wearing in their public meetings is abysmal and an awful example to the public.

We're getting more of their initial plan in action, just to let the people suffer and get on with it.

By *ummerflingMan  over a year ago

london

My money is that we won’t see another lockdown unless a new strain makes an appearance. There’s lots of government talk and re-emphasis on “living with the virus”.

Having said that, I can see face masks and orders to work from home for office workers coming into effect to keep “Christmas as normal”, which I’m amazed we’re not doing already really.

Never, most people really don't care about that virus that was about a year or so ago, it's just a distant memory now and time to move on and get on with your lives.

teleford

It’s not normal but it is the new normal for at least the next year. What measures would you reimpose? I might have retained mask wearing on public transport, in retail and other crowded situations that are unavoidable but beyond that? We can’t all live in isolation forever. Let’s also consider that as the prevalence in society increases the proportion of deaths occurring with Covid rather than because of Covid will likely increase.

By *inkershoes69Woman  over a year ago

maidstone

"I doubt there will be more lockdowns. So no more furlough money for the spongers. “Spongers”? The people placed on furlough didn’t place themselves there. "
wow just wow im no sponger and was on furlough for 4 months! back to full time so u can get off your throne

A mix of replies above.

I think a lockdown will only happen if the NHS is on the brink of collapse. It might happen, but I hope it won't.

As to masks: this is the maddest thing to me with the whole Covid situation. How hard would it have been for the government to put out a strong pro mask message and wear masks themselves? Masks are cheap and easy to use. They seem to have a beneficial effect. So why not?

The same logic applies to social distancing. When out and about, it's often easy enough to do. (Yes, there are work and travel exceptions. But it doesn't hurt to encourage people to keep a safe distance from each other when eg in shops.)

Chez/Sheff

And as if my magic a new variant appears, 8% of U.K. cases now suspected of being a new delta variant with altered spike protein, so it’s resistant to existing immunity.

Also our figures are shockingly bad compared to Western Europe.

Cookstown

[Removed by poster at 18/10/21 12:39:49]

Cookstown

"And as if my magic a new variant appears, 8% of U.K. cases now suspected of being a new delta variant with altered spike protein, so it’s resistant to existing immunity.

Also our figures are shockingly bad compared to Western Europe. "

Are you referring to delta plus ?

There won't be another lock down has it's now l proven they do more harm than good. I can however see some restrictions returning.The majority of the population have been double jabbed and even triple jabbed.Nothing more we can do other than get on with our lives.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"There won't be another lock down has it's now l proven they do more harm than good. I can however see some restrictions returning.The majority of the population have been double jabbed and even triple jabbed.Nothing more we can do other than get on with our lives."

I thought the lockdowns did a huge amount to slow down the rate of spread which helped to stop health services around the world from being overloaded.

Can you direct me to the proof that they did more harm?

I agree with the rest though. Especially after the PM said he didn't care how many old people die. There's unlikely to be another lockdown.

Central

[Removed by poster at 18/10/21 12:58:36]

Central

"There won't be another lock down has it's now l proven they do more harm than good. I can however see some restrictions returning.The majority of the population have been double jabbed and even triple jabbed.Nothing more we can do other than get on with our lives."

That's basically not correct.

The restrictions have reduced the impact on us all. There is still much that we can do, including wearing of face masks. Much of the EU is faring better than here, due to more intelligent focusing on vaccines and restrictions.

Whilst some individuals may postpone getting infected, treatments are progressively improving substantially, improving survival rates, reducing illness severity etc. We also get to improve NHS treatment care for other conditions

We are each active agents to be able to help and support each other in this crisis.

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

“…….. There won't be another lock down has it's now l proven they do more harm than good…”

——————————————-

Proven to do more harm than good ??

Proven in what way??

Any negative effects we’ve had from the lockdown we’re not due to the lockdown itself, but rather due to a ‘poorly managed lockdown’ - which is what the report last week has highlighted.

"There won't be another lock down has it's now l proven they do more harm than good. I can however see some restrictions returning.The majority of the population have been double jabbed and even triple jabbed.Nothing more we can do other than get on with our lives.

“…….. There won't be another lock down has it's now l proven they do more harm than good…”

——————————————-

Proven in what way??

Any negative effects we’ve had from the lockdown we’re not due to the lockdown itself, but rather due to a ‘poorly managed lockdown’ - which is what the report last week has highlighted. "

Wouldn't waste your energy mate.

By *ombikerMan  over a year ago

the right side of the river

"There won't be another lock down has it's now l proven they do more harm than good. I can however see some restrictions returning.The majority of the population have been double jabbed and even triple jabbed.Nothing more we can do other than get on with our lives.

——————————————-

Proven in what way??

Any negative effects we’ve had from the lockdown we’re not due to the lockdown itself, but rather due to a ‘poorly managed lockdown’ - which is what the report last week has highlighted.

Wouldn't waste your energy mate."

Local lockdowns are coming over the Christmas period apparently.

——————————————-

Proven in what way??

Local lockdowns are coming over the Christmas period apparently."

Lol. No chance.

Cookstown

——————————————-

Proven in what way??

Local lockdowns are coming over the Christmas period apparently."

Is that from an official source or is it social media crap

Will be announced 2nd week in Nov to start the week after.

Or maybe not

Chez/Sheff

"Are you referring to delta plus ?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55659820

AY.4.2

By *heNaturistCoupleCouple  over a year ago

crewe

"Are you referring to delta plus ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55659820

AY.4.2"

Yea it's much media scaremongering, on any given day you can get hundreds of subvarieties of Delta there's 0.1s and 0.01 and 0.3s in-between the .4.2.

Thousands and thousands of different sequenced variants are uploaded to the department of health every day for their virologists to look over,I honestly don't know where they get the time

By *GentlemanMan  over a year ago

Worcestershire…ish, South Wales

Depends when Boris’ Overlords instruct him to bring one or more in ?

By *nterracialDesiresCouple (MM)  over a year ago

London / Essex

Monday.

KJ"

The problem is KJ you say all this without understanding what a hospital needs to do during a surge in Covid-19 patients. The bottom line is regardless of government policy, who’s in charge etc numbers of inpatient force the trust into a situation where they have no option apart from reduce services x

Terra Firma

KJ

The problem is KJ you say all this without understanding what a hospital needs to do during a surge in Covid-19 patients. The bottom line is regardless of government policy, who’s in charge etc numbers of inpatient force the trust into a situation where they have no option apart from reduce services x "

You have made me think about this, whatever happened to the Nightingale hospitals? Did they help and what are they doing now?

Central

KJ

The problem is KJ you say all this without understanding what a hospital needs to do during a surge in Covid-19 patients. The bottom line is regardless of government policy, who’s in charge etc numbers of inpatient force the trust into a situation where they have no option apart from reduce services x

You have made me think about this, whatever happened to the Nightingale hospitals? Did they help and what are they doing now?"

I think that they weren't very helpful as we lacked the staff for them. Most were dismantled, I think, possibly all of them.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai / Nottingham

Number of +ve tests is such a bad metric to use, it’s more a measure of testing take up, everyone has these types of viruses in winter.

Future restrictions should be _ased on the ability of the NHS to look after the dying and treat the sick , regardless of what they have, nothing else.

By *orny andy yorkMan  over a year ago

york

"Would say infection rate is immaterial. Comes down to hospitalisation and death rates.

Hospitalisation is a real problem indeed. If that gets too big, the whole NHS is in real trouble.

Infection rate is potentially really bad, though. When a virus is mixing around among a large number of people, chances of mutation go up. If we develop a vaccine resistant strain, we're really fucked."

mutations happen all the time and influenza acts in the same way . Infection rates are not important and mass vaccination is just as likley to cause mutations that the trial vax won’t be any good against . Time to treat it like the flu and get in with life

Central

"Would say infection rate is immaterial. Comes down to hospitalisation and death rates.

Infection rate is potentially really bad, though. When a virus is mixing around among a large number of people, chances of mutation go up. If we develop a vaccine resistant strain, we're really fucked. mutations happen all the time and influenza acts in the same way . Infection rates are not important and mass vaccination is just as likley to cause mutations that the trial vax won’t be any good against . Time to treat it like the flu and get in with life "

A l'aissez faire attitude has never really helped during a pandemic though. NHS waiting lists are immense and current infection levels are going up. If we can do some simple things, at minimal cost and effort, it's almost obscene to not bother to.

Central

Infection rate is potentially really bad, though. When a virus is mixing around among a large number of people, chances of mutation go up. If we develop a vaccine resistant strain, we're really fucked. mutations happen all the time and influenza acts in the same way . Infection rates are not important and mass vaccination is just as likley to cause mutations that the trial vax won’t be any good against . Time to treat it like the flu and get in with life "

They're not trial vaccines though - they finished Stage 3 Trials long ago.

Terra Firma

"Number of +ve tests is such a bad metric to use, it’s more a measure of testing take up, everyone has these types of viruses in winter.

Future restrictions should be _ased on the ability of the NHS to look after the dying and treat the sick , regardless of what they have, nothing else."

I think you are right about the positive test measure being a reflection of the take up of testing. London and Birmingham have areas in their cities that are well below the national average. Is this because testing has been dropped by the people in those areas or are they really having low inner city covid numbers?

"You have made me think about this, whatever happened to the Nightingale hospitals? Did they help and what are they doing now?"

Apart from the Nw nightingale they could never take more than a handful of patients. They illustrate the issue perfectly, the number of specialist teams required by severe c-19 patients means the only way to care in a surge is to take specialists from other areas.

The answer has never been to “build more guns”, we don’t have the troops to fire those we already possess x

Manchester (she/her)

"Number of +ve tests is such a bad metric to use, it’s more a measure of testing take up, everyone has these types of viruses in winter.

Future restrictions should be _ased on the ability of the NHS to look after the dying and treat the sick , regardless of what they have, nothing else."

Percentage of positivity helps too

Terra Firma

"You have made me think about this, whatever happened to the Nightingale hospitals? Did they help and what are they doing now?

Apart from the Nw nightingale they could never take more than a handful of patients. They illustrate the issue perfectly, the number of specialist teams required by severe c-19 patients means the only way to care in a surge is to take specialists from other areas.

The answer has never been to “build more guns”, we don’t have the troops to fire those we already possess x"

Is it too obvious to start investing in recruitment and training now, make the hospitals more of a permanent fixture and start to use them for everyday NHS needs in 3 - 4 years time? The money spent on furlough and lost in lockdown should be a good indicator on return on investment

By *orny andy yorkMan  over a year ago

york

Infection rate is potentially really bad, though. When a virus is mixing around among a large number of people, chances of mutation go up. If we develop a vaccine resistant strain, we're really fucked. mutations happen all the time and influenza acts in the same way . Infection rates are not important and mass vaccination is just as likley to cause mutations that the trial vax won’t be any good against . Time to treat it like the flu and get in with life

They're not trial vaccines though - they finished Stage 3 Trials long ago. "

they are still on trial

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Infection rate is potentially really bad, though. When a virus is mixing around among a large number of people, chances of mutation go up. If we develop a vaccine resistant strain, we're really fucked. mutations happen all the time and influenza acts in the same way . Infection rates are not important and mass vaccination is just as likley to cause mutations that the trial vax won’t be any good against . Time to treat it like the flu and get in with life

A l'aissez faire attitude has never really helped during a pandemic though. NHS waiting lists are immense and current infection levels are going up. If we can do some simple things, at minimal cost and effort, it's almost obscene to not bother to. "

Well that's a good point.. "can we all do a little bit more to stop spreading infections?"

"yeah can do... But I'm fucked if I'm going to, govt have been shit so why should I bother? " seems a bit of an attitude for some of us.

"You have made me think about this, whatever happened to the Nightingale hospitals? Did they help and what are they doing now?

The answer has never been to “build more guns”, we don’t have the troops to fire those we already possess x

Is it too obvious to start investing in recruitment and training now, make the hospitals more of a permanent fixture and start to use them for everyday NHS needs in 3 - 4 years time? The money spent on furlough and lost in lockdown should be a good indicator on return on investment "

There’s been massive investment since the beginning. I for instance am one of a group of 120 new recruits for one NHS service… however, my training is still nowhere near done, it’s had to be broken into 3 stages as tutors, the need for us to be active at busy periods to make up numbers etc is ever present.

An icu nurse needs around 5 years of study and placement to be able to operate independently. Consultants, surgical support etc you’re looking at a decade.

Money can’t solve the time issue

By *aseMan  over a year ago

Gourock

Can't have another lockdown! Cop26 is on

By *tarbeckCouple  over a year ago

york

So another lockdown would achieve what exactly in the long term ?

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

"So another lockdown would achieve what exactly in the long term ?"
It would help us to reach 3 Trillions worth of debt LOL only 2.2 Trillion at the moment but rising

By *rufflesCouple  over a year ago

manchester

If there is another lockdown, I for one will not be complying. We have to live with this thing now."

Selfish f**ker

Selfish f**ker "

. Very convenient for some to hide forever like frightened little rabbits and blame others for everything

I've just had a bout of flu was like welcoming back an old friend!

Manchester (she/her)

They're not trial vaccines though - they finished Stage 3 Trials long ago. they are still on trial "

Cute. No

Prestonish

Not sure we should be talking in terms of lockdowns as yet - but with the BMA, scientists et all stressing that we need to start with plan B immediately (ie mask wearing, hand sanitisation etc and working from home if feasible again (most office workers I know never went back full time anyway)) - I don’t get why the government seem determined to wait until things become critical again.

They only seem to be able to respond/instigate action when we’re at critical point - which will mean more hospitalisations and deaths.

Im personally not a great fan of masks - but I’d far rather that than face a full lockdown later on and have our social lives and (potentially) jobs taken away again. X

By *ripodius WillyusMan  over a year ago

Colne

Right yet again Scotland and Wales are more on the ball re taking firm action example being making vaccine passports law masks to be worn on public transport and other stuff.

Boris and his fucking ego ignoring the BMA etc who know more about nhs than him dragging his feet was this of problem resulting in thousands of lives in care homes lost by choice he made as PM buck stops with him.

Now we hear Javid the health secretary say expect over 100,000 cases per day and they think thats acceptable not a fucking chance.

Instead of dillydallying to keep tory mps onside the rest of uk dont seem to matter.

Get back to basic stuff masks to be worn on public transports and in shops. Lets say a person goes into say primark and has to wear a mask say in there 1 hour.

Thats just 1 hour out of the day and shopping is not affected.

We are walking into lot more cases where folk will lose their lives.

Boris and his ego need to get on top now to hopefully reduce the loss of life.

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

"So another lockdown would achieve what exactly in the long term ?"

Most likely nothing but unreported misery, mental health issues, job loses, businesses in crisis, lost hospital appointments the list goes on.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Right yet again Scotland and Wales are more on the ball re taking firm action example being making vaccine passports law masks to be worn on public transport and other stuff.

Boris and his fucking ego ignoring the BMA etc who know more about nhs than him dragging his feet was this of problem resulting in thousands of lives in care homes lost by choice he made as PM buck stops with him.

Now we hear Javid the health secretary say expect over 100,000 cases per day and they think thats acceptable not a fucking chance.

Instead of dillydallying to keep tory mps onside the rest of uk dont seem to matter.

Get back to basic stuff masks to be worn on public transports and in shops. Lets say a person goes into say primark and has to wear a mask say in there 1 hour.

"

What's stopping the primark shopper from wearing a mask? I mean they have always been recommended. People are just choosing to ignore the recommendation.

Prestonish

"Right yet again Scotland and Wales are more on the ball re taking firm action example being making vaccine passports law masks to be worn on public transport and other stuff.

What's stopping the primark shopper from wearing a mask? I mean they have always been recommended. People are just choosing to ignore the recommendation. "

Precisely - so why not stop making it a recommendation and start making it a rule again? X

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

I won't be going back to wearing masks. I'll continue to keep my distance and avoid the majority of people as I have done throughout.

By *scobar67Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Never

teleford

Go on then, enlighten us with your virology expertise, exactly how does vaccination cause mutations? Vaccination may apply a selection pressure but it certainly doesn’t create mutations, mutations natural occur all the time. We are treating Covid more like flu now and we are only able to do because of the high take up of vaccination. We can continue to treat it like flu but only if hospital pressures remain manageable. It still has the potential to hospitalise many times more than a bad flu season, not helped by clowns who are unable to comprehend or are fearful of vaccination.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

Vaccine driven evolution isn't a new concept

Terra Firma

"I won't be going back to wearing masks. I'll continue to keep my distance and avoid the majority of people as I have done throughout.

"

If you have worn a mask in the past why wont you wear a mask in the future? What changed your opinion?

Manchester (she/her)

Go on then, enlighten us with your virology expertise, exactly how does vaccination cause mutations? Vaccination may apply a selection pressure but it certainly doesn’t create mutations, mutations natural occur all the time. We are treating Covid more like flu now and we are only able to do because of the high take up of vaccination. We can continue to treat it like flu but only if hospital pressures remain manageable. It still has the potential to hospitalise many times more than a bad flu season, not helped by clowns who are unable to comprehend or are fearful of vaccination."

I would have thought that the reduced replication caused by a primed immune system would reduce the chances of vaccine evasion, even though selective pressure through vaccination exists.

I also heard something relatively recently - most of it sailed way over my head but... I think the gist of the paper being discussed was that there are lots and lots of changes needed in order to create significant vaccine evasion, and the odds of that happening is pretty small.

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan  over a year ago

City

Technically delta is evasive as it's spreading in countries with high vaccine rate.

The paper probably meant an evasive much more deadly strain was less possible than evasive and give you a cold strains.

However they have all admitted a natural infection will prime you better for variant than a vaccine.

So we should develop a test to find out people 99.9 percent sure of surviving the least dangerous variant and maybe give them that instead of the vaccine.

"Technically delta is evasive as it's spreading in countries with high vaccine rate.

The paper probably meant an evasive much more deadly strain was less possible than evasive and give you a cold strains.

However they have all admitted a natural infection will prime you better for variant than a vaccine.

So we should develop a test to find out people 99.9 percent sure of surviving the least dangerous variant and maybe give them that instead of the vaccine."

There is a massive flooring your plan. Survival does not mean you are not severely affected and that it will not leave you with debilitating side effects for goodness knows how long.

teleford

"Vaccine driven evolution isn't a new concept"

Diving evolution is rather different to causing mutations

By *d6869Man  over a year ago

Aberdeen

"So another lockdown would achieve what exactly in the long term ?

Most likely nothing but unreported misery, mental health issues, job loses, businesses in crisis, lost hospital appointments the list goes on. "

Yip

By *aulupforitMan  over a year ago

Tynemouth

Lockdown on its way for xmas and New year peeps.You heard it here first…

Manchester (she/her)

"Lockdown on its way for xmas and New year peeps.You heard it here first…"

After the climate conference, maybe. Optics

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

It wont happen .

By *astlincscoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tinsel Town

Lol without sounding like a Christmas pantomime "oh no it won't"

By *aulupforitMan  over a year ago

Tynemouth

"Lockdown on its way for xmas and New year peeps.You heard it here first…

Lol without sounding like a Christmas pantomime "oh no it won't" "

Oh yes it will,He is behind you

Utter crap, no one will take any notice now, I won’t that’s for sure I’ll carry on like I’ve done all through this so called pandemic

Utter crap, no one will take any notice now, I won’t that’s for sure I’ll carry on like I’ve done all through this so called pandemic "

It's not a "so called pandemic". It's a pandemic.

Your logic is like looking at a frog and calling it a so called frog.

deja vu lol

Utter crap, no one will take any notice now, I won’t that’s for sure I’ll carry on like I’ve done all through this so called pandemic

Your logic is like looking at a frog and calling it a so called frog. "

boring

Your logic is like looking at a frog and calling it a so called frog. boring "

Reality can be dull at times.

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Better not be one before December, we have been on best behaviour since last March and finally booked a holiday for November, won’t be happy if it’s cancelled

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

Boris already said no more lockdowns

"Boris already said no more lockdowns"

Boris has said a lot of things that did not pan out entirely as first stated.

Manchester (she/her)

"Boris already said no more lockdowns

Boris has said a lot of things that did not pan out entirely as first stated. "

Something about being dead in a ditch?

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

How many Boris supporters does it take to change a light bulb ?

None.

He tells them he's done it and they all sit in the dark clapping

Central

"Boris already said no more lockdowns

Boris has said a lot of things that did not pan out entirely as first stated. "

I think it's a default strategy of telling a lie and then another. He doesn't know when to stop, in fact he can't, whilst he's alive.

By *revaunanceCouple  over a year ago

Exeter

We'll see.

By *cottish_switchMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Like it or not covid is here to stay.

We have a choice to make.

Do we manage it as best we can whike getting on with our lives as normal or do we let fear of covid dictate what we can and can't do forever.

There is no right answer. People will suffer and die either way.

Personally, with vaccination and ever improving treatment I think it's time to move on, manage the disease as we do all the others and get put the constant threats of restrictions & lockdowns behind us.

I can't really see what else we can do unless we're willing to live under resrrictions/threat of restrictions indefinately.

I'm not.

"Like it or not covid is here to stay.

We have a choice to make.

Do we manage it as best we can whike getting on with our lives as normal or do we let fear of covid dictate what we can and can't do forever.

There is no right answer. People will suffer and die either way.

Personally, with vaccination and ever improving treatment I think it's time to move on, manage the disease as we do all the others and get put the constant threats of restrictions & lockdowns behind us.

I can't really see what else we can do unless we're willing to live under resrrictions/threat of restrictions indefinately.

I'm not.

"

We should complete the vaccination effort as fully as possible before easing restrictions. Surely that makes sense.

Why are so many people just saying they can't be bothered to put us all in a safer situation before we open up more?

By *cottish_switchMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

We have.

Everyone who wants a vaccine in the UK can get one for the asking.

We can't and shouldn't force people who don't want a vaccine to have one.

Hard to see what more we can do.