FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Todays figures

Todays figures

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As reported by Sky News.

'COVID-19: UK records another 49,139 cases and 179 virus-related deaths

The cases figure marks the eighth day in a row that infections have been above 40,000'

Common sense would suggest that despite vaccinations we're on a steady incline, but what level are we gonna get to before the implementation of restrictions?

Personally, I think the wearing of masks and social distancing could and should have stayed in place throughout because it barely makes a difference to daily lives, but is certain to make a difference to the spread of Covid.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Fully agree but I would also introduce Covid passports for larger events and at the discretion of pub and restaurants proprietors. The fact that a good proportion of the English soccer team are not vaccinated is a disgraceful example to their supporters.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"Fully agree but I would also introduce Covid passports for larger events and at the discretion of pub and restaurants proprietors. The fact that a good proportion of the English soccer team are not vaccinated is a disgraceful example to their supporters. "

Don't these numpties realise that their followers will copy them and get vaxed on if they will?

"Fully agree but I would also introduce Covid passports for larger events and at the discretion of pub and restaurants proprietors. The fact that a good proportion of the English soccer team are not vaccinated is a disgraceful example to their supporters.

Don't these numpties realise that their followers will copy them and get vaxed on if they will?"

The Manager has to take some of the blame ...for not naming and shaming and also not selecting them for the next match.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Fully agree but I would also introduce Covid passports for larger events and at the discretion of pub and restaurants proprietors. The fact that a good proportion of the English soccer team are not vaccinated is a disgraceful example to their supporters. "

Very true. Events of every kind have probably done more for topping the figures up than any other single thing.

Agree with the role models thing too.

If you're in the position to influence others, the least that should happen is to try to encourage sensible behaviour. Especially when they're fortunate enough to be getting the wages they're on.

I reckon passports are just a matter of time and finding a system that works.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"As reported by Sky News.

The cases figure marks the eighth day in a row that infections have been above 40,000'

Common sense would suggest that despite vaccinations we're on a steady incline, but what level are we gonna get to before the implementation of restrictions?

Personally, I think the wearing of masks and social distancing could and should have stayed in place throughout because it barely makes a difference to daily lives, but is certain to make a difference to the spread of Covid.

"

"what level are we gonna get to before the implementation of restrictions?"

We're going to get to whatever level at which enough of the public scream bloody murder and the government feels threatened. The Johnson government has shown time and time again that it cares absolutely zero about the health and well-being of the general population on the United Kingdom. The only things this government cares about are (a) making money for themselves and their wealthy chums, (b) watching their ratings in opinion polls to make sure that nothing interferes with (a). After that, as long as it remains compatible with (a) and (b), the Johnson government are no doubt very pleased with the reduction in the numbers of elderly and infirm. Less paying out in pensions means more remaining in the public pot to be embezzled by the cabinet members and their friends!

By *d6869Man  over a year ago

Aberdeen

"Fully agree but I would also introduce Covid passports for larger events and at the discretion of pub and restaurants proprietors. The fact that a good proportion of the English soccer team are not vaccinated is a disgraceful example to their supporters.

Don't these numpties realise that their followers will copy them and get vaxed on if they will?"

People should start thinking for themselves if they want to do it or not, not ‘if Luke Shaw (for example) doesn’t, then I won’t’

That’s a societal problem in itself

Vaccination doesn't mean you don't have covid meaning passports are absolutely useless in stopping the spread of covid

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Footballers are not exactly known for their intellect...

teleford

"Vaccination doesn't mean you don't have covid meaning passports are absolutely useless in stopping the spread of covid "

Not quite. In theory being vaccinated means you are far less likely to get or pass on Covid than someone who isn’t. Quite how well that theory is holding up I am less sure. I have to say I am rather disappointed in the number of vaccinated people I know who have caught it and been pretty ill in recent weeks.

By *rindnbumpCouple  over a year ago

Our little world of Kinky Fuckery in Durham

"Vaccination doesn't mean you don't have covid meaning passports are absolutely useless in stopping the spread of covid

Not quite. In theory being vaccinated means you are far less likely to get or pass on Covid than someone who isn’t. Quite how well that theory is holding up I am less sure. I have to say I am rather disappointed in the number of vaccinated people I know who have caught it and been pretty ill in recent weeks."

Think we all have different perceptions due to our own circumstances and the people we know. I have a relative who works in a care home. A few weeks ago they had 7 residents and 4 staff members with Covid , all double vaccinated . 5 of those residents died. They now have another 2 residents and 4 staff with Covid.

Annoys me when people are losing jobs they have dedicated their lives to because they decided not to have the vacinne.

Would understand if by having the vacinne it stops you catching Covid and passing it on but it doesn't. Vaccinated or not if you have Covid, even without symptoms your viral load is the same.

Everyone's circumstances are different and we all should be allowed to make our own decisions.

There is no wrong or right decision and no rhyme or reason to how this virus affects each individual.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Covid passports can be formulated in several ways. Vaccines, tests, after infrction or any combination. The benefits of vaccinated people getting access to gatherings etc, is that if they get infected, they are less likely to cause significant problems to the country, by placing the NHS under far greater strain.

As many, perhaps the majority of, people are still masking, it makes sensible to balance the investment of effort amongst all, by getting public masks and social distancing in place ASAP, ss the minimum of simple steps to implement. The passports seem reasonable

If we make smaller, easy low effort changes earlier, it can prevent more drastic changes having to be imposed but for longer, if we delay.

Some always moan about having to make a tiny bit of effort. But, as we're not doing this for something trivial, such selfish moans should be brushed aside for the common good.

"Covid passports can be formulated in several ways. Vaccines, tests, after infrction or any combination. The benefits of vaccinated people getting access to gatherings etc, is that if they get infected, they are less likely to cause significant problems to the country, by placing the NHS under far greater strain.

As many, perhaps the majority of, people are still masking, it makes sensible to balance the investment of effort amongst all, by getting public masks and social distancing in place ASAP, ss the minimum of simple steps to implement. The passports seem reasonable

If we make smaller, easy low effort changes earlier, it can prevent more drastic changes having to be imposed but for longer, if we delay.

Some always moan about having to make a tiny bit of effort. But, as we're not doing this for something trivial, such selfish moans should be brushed aside for the common good. "

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/327/public-administration-and-constitutional-affairs-committee/news/157355/covid-passport-policy-lacks-scientific-evidence-base/

By *oloris obsequiumWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I live in Scotland where we still wear face masks and have covid passports. I went to Sheffield to see Gerry Cinnamon a couple of weeks ago and in England you'd never know there was a pandemic. No one wearing masks, Social distancing, nothing.

The UK was leading the way in vaccination then the anti vaxers and the anti maskers started piping up the other EU countries carried on vaccination and mask waring they are ahead of us

They are calling us mutant Island

Just wanted to say a big thank you

Central

"Vaccination doesn't mean you don't have covid meaning passports are absolutely useless in stopping the spread of covid

Not quite. In theory being vaccinated means you are far less likely to get or pass on Covid than someone who isn’t. Quite how well that theory is holding up I am less sure. I have to say I am rather disappointed in the number of vaccinated people I know who have caught it and been pretty ill in recent weeks.

Think we all have different perceptions due to our own circumstances and the people we know. I have a relative who works in a care home. A few weeks ago they had 7 residents and 4 staff members with Covid , all double vaccinated . 5 of those residents died. They now have another 2 residents and 4 staff with Covid.

Annoys me when people are losing jobs they have dedicated their lives to because they decided not to have the vacinne.

Would understand if by having the vacinne it stops you catching Covid and passing it on but it doesn't. Vaccinated or not if you have Covid, even without symptoms your viral load is the same.

Everyone's circumstances are different and we all should be allowed to make our own decisions.

There is no wrong or right decision and no rhyme or reason to how this virus affects each individual.

"

You could check what you're posting, fairly easily. The vaccines can reduce infections and illness - there's no guarantee for any one person or variant. We're getting greater depths of evidence all the time but at least we have had studies covering hundreds of thousands of people, that have demonstrated reductions in infection numbers, as well as cutting severe illness and deaths.

Central

"Covid passports can be formulated in several ways. Vaccines, tests, after infrction or any combination. The benefits of vaccinated people getting access to gatherings etc, is that if they get infected, they are less likely to cause significant problems to the country, by placing the NHS under far greater strain.

Some always moan about having to make a tiny bit of effort. But, as we're not doing this for something trivial, such selfish moans should be brushed aside for the common good.

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/327/public-administration-and-constitutional-affairs-committee/news/157355/covid-passport-policy-lacks-scientific-evidence-base/"

I think that's based on that limited proposal, rather than what I outlined

teleford

"

I did feel very strongly that those working in such positions should be vaccinated but that is waning. Like you I have in recent weeks seen more and more cases of doubled vaccinated both catching and transmitting Covid. The national statistics may show something better but we see the world through our personal experiences. Like I said, the theory I believed in may not be holding true.

You could check what you're posting, fairly easily. The vaccines can reduce infections and illness - there's no guarantee for any one person or variant. We're getting greater depths of evidence all the time but at least we have had studies covering hundreds of thousands of people, that have demonstrated reductions in infection numbers, as well as cutting severe illness and deaths. "

Is that why the infection figures are so high atm and the government only today were coercing people who haven't had the vacinne / booster to go and get it to prevent going to Plan B.

Absolutely nobody can say how ill or not ill they would or wouldn't have been if they hadn't been vaccinated. There are thousands of people who have Covid who have no symptoms and have only tested positive because the have to be tested for work/ school or college

"

Fully agree

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Well saj basically said it could get as high as 100,000 cases per day this winter and then he might think about it

Watch it begin to put pressure on hospital beds again

"I live in Scotland where we still wear face masks and have covid passports. I went to Sheffield to see Gerry Cinnamon a couple of weeks ago and in England you'd never know there was a pandemic. No one wearing masks, Social distancing, nothing. "

I hope you enjoyed yourself and take it you didn't walk out fearing for your own safety

"The UK was leading the way in vaccination then the anti vaxers and the anti maskers started piping up the other EU countries carried on vaccination and mask waring they are ahead of us

Just wanted to say a big thank you"

Ahead of us? Didn't know it was a competition. We have 85% vaccinated. That is a massive result.

You could check what you're posting, fairly easily. The vaccines can reduce infections and illness - there's no guarantee for any one person or variant. We're getting greater depths of evidence all the time but at least we have had studies covering hundreds of thousands of people, that have demonstrated reductions in infection numbers, as well as cutting severe illness and deaths.

Is that why the infection figures are so high atm and the government only today were coercing people who haven't had the vacinne / booster to go and get it to prevent going to Plan B.

Absolutely nobody can say how ill or not ill they would or wouldn't have been if they hadn't been vaccinated. There are thousands of people who have Covid who have no symptoms and have only tested positive because the have to be tested for work/ school or college "

Exactly

I wonder if anyone has looked at England cases versus Scotland and Wales to see if you can see the effects of mask wearing. I've just done some quick eyeballing and I'm not seeing the pattern jump out ...but then other factors such as schools may blur what is going on ..

"The UK was leading the way in vaccination then the anti vaxers and the anti maskers started piping up the other EU countries carried on vaccination and mask waring they are ahead of us

Ahead of us? Didn't know it was a competition. We have 85% vaccinated. That is a massive result."

Never said it was a competition did I

"Vaccination doesn't mean you don't have covid meaning passports are absolutely useless in stopping the spread of covid "

Seems to work in Singapore

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Ahead of us? Didn't know it was a competition. We have 85% vaccinated. That is a massive result."

We did well vaccination wise initially but on 79 % of total eligible population and 67% total popularity fully vaccinated. A lot of other countries have overtaken us a long time ago. The younger people are slow on taking up the vaccine and we were slow in offering it to younger people as a country.

Seems to work in Singapore "

No it doesn't. Having a passport doesn't stop you from having covid.

Not having covid and testing to ensure you don't have covid stops you from going into events with covid.

A passport just shows we have had a vax but as I can testify first hand with my own eyes, you can definitely still have covid and be vaccinated with a passport. My comment still stands passports to prove you are vaccinated are useless because it doesn't mean you are covid free. Testing is the way forward and hopefully development of better testing

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Ahead of us? Didn't know it was a competition. We have 85% vaccinated. That is a massive result.

We did well vaccination wise initially but on 79 % of total eligible population and 67% total popularity fully vaccinated. A lot of other countries have overtaken us a long time ago. The younger people are slow on taking up the vaccine and we were slow in offering it to younger people as a country."

We did well vaccination wise initially but on 79 % of total eligible population and 67% total popularity fully vaccinated. A lot of other countries have overtaken us a long time ago. The younger people are slow on taking up the vaccine and we were slow in offering it to younger people as a country."

A lot of the younger people would have had covid by now and it has been suggested that they are at low risk of serious problems in comparison to our vulnerable.

High percentage of vaccinated plus natural immunity in younger healthier individuals surely is now sufficient.

Regular testing and isolation when ill has to be the way forward, hopefully......

Durham

We did well vaccination wise initially but on 79 % of total eligible population and 67% total popularity fully vaccinated. A lot of other countries have overtaken us a long time ago. The younger people are slow on taking up the vaccine and we were slow in offering it to younger people as a country.

A lot of the younger people would have had covid by now and it has been suggested that they are at low risk of serious problems in comparison to our vulnerable.

High percentage of vaccinated plus natural immunity in younger healthier individuals surely is now sufficient.

Regular testing and isolation when ill has to be the way forward, hopefully...... "

I can see your thinking but it doesn't look like it will be enough if we want to keep society open. The young and unvaccinated are just catching covid in too greater numbers and it is cascading down the generations. If we keep shutting schools and universities and reintroduce covid measures like mask wearing and social distancing etc then there is no need for the young to be vaccinated but if want an open society then vaccination for pretty much the whole population is the way to go.

Sheep to the slaughter, have a mind of your own I say. Susceptible people

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

They are PCR testing at my kids school.

I haven't heard of that being done before.

Durham

"They are PCR testing at my kids school.

I haven't heard of that being done before."

Why are they doing that?

Yes, passing judgement on others choice what chemicals they inject into their body.

Fantastic argument

By *heekybrummiemonkeysCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

Seems to work in Singapore

No it doesn't. Having a passport doesn't stop you from having covid.

Not having covid and testing to ensure you don't have covid stops you from going into events with covid.

A passport just shows we have had a vax but as I can testify first hand with my own eyes, you can definitely still have covid and be vaccinated with a passport. My comment still stands passports to prove you are vaccinated are useless because it doesn't mean you are covid free. Testing is the way forward and hopefully development of better testing "

Spot on.

Regular testing and isolation when ill has to be the way forward, hopefully......

I can see your thinking but it doesn't look like it will be enough if we want to keep society open. The young and unvaccinated are just catching covid in too greater numbers and it is cascading down the generations. If we keep shutting schools and universities and reintroduce covid measures like mask wearing and social distancing etc then there is no need for the young to be vaccinated but if want an open society then vaccination for pretty much the whole population is the way to go."

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I can see we are at least trying to get to keep society open so thanks for your open mindedness.

However I do disagree with the whole population approach.

We started this vaccination Programme with the intent on reducing the seriousness of catching the virus and thus protecting the vulnerable.

The vulnerable are now protected and vaccinated.

Viruses and illness are never going to go away and people should have a choice ALWAYS.

Everyone who has chosen to have a vaccine great stuff and they should have faith that they now have a shield.

The people that haven't either fall into the category of they will catch it and not even know about it or they will catch it feel bad recover and both develop natural immunity or in extreme cases..... Well tomorrow isn't a given for anyone and they have made their choice.

I am not dismissing your argument but we aren't in agreement unfortunately.

We would still probably laugh together over a drink about normal life so peace be with you

hiding from cock pics.

Why are they doing that?"

Because they feel they might be a lot of asymptomatic children.

It's a strange (to me) way that they are doing it however, they are doing what they are calling 'pool' testing, so the children are tested in groups of 6 , if there is 1 positive the whole group have to isolate and get another individual pcr test.

By *hiterabbit6Couple  over a year ago

Sexytown, Moray

I worked in a school in west london until recently and we had whole school pcr test days a couple of times over the last year at times when the local positive rate was high... all staff and students that consented to a test were done...

Rabbit

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"

Wales have these in place already along with a vaccination pass to get into events yet have the highest infection rate so how do you explain that one?

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan  over a year ago

City

Vaccine passports won't stop anything, Ireland has them and figures are growing. They are among highest vaccine rate in the world too.

Basically you can catch and spread delta or the original while double vaccinated. Rapid testing before large events and maybe at pubs would be better than a vaccine passport.

But be aware, once you go down the Draconian route of passports and forced testing, you can never complain about China's social credit system again.

By *udistcpl1Couple  over a year ago

Wirral

"what level are we gonna get to before the implementation of restrictions?"

We're going to get to whatever level at which enough of the public scream bloody murder and the government feels threatened. The Johnson government has shown time and time again that it cares absolutely zero about the health and well-being of the general population on the United Kingdom. The only things this government cares about are (a) making money for themselves and their wealthy chums, (b) watching their ratings in opinion polls to make sure that nothing interferes with (a). After that, as long as it remains compatible with (a) and (b), the Johnson government are no doubt very pleased with the reduction in the numbers of elderly and infirm. Less paying out in pensions means more remaining in the public pot to be embezzled by the cabinet members and their friends!"

100% agree. I couldn't possibly add to this.

If honest them figures aren’t bad. In fact they are relatively low. United Kingdom as a country has 63.3 MILLION people. That means not even 1% of the population have it. Like any flu Virus what covid is, it’s a strain of flu. Coming into the winter months when the immune system gets weaker you tend to catch more viruses like the flu. If you find the normal winter cold and flu numbers I bet they are pretty much the same at 40,000 per day. I think we just need to leave covid scaring behind now. Get on with our lives.

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

Why are they doing that?

It's a strange (to me) way that they are doing it however, they are doing what they are calling 'pool' testing, so the children are tested in groups of 6 , if there is 1 positive the whole group have to isolate and get another individual pcr test.

"

They’ve stopped testing at our local school over the summer and got rid of bubbles.

Kids no longer have to isolate if close to someone positive.

They definitely want everyone to get it!

"If honest them figures aren’t bad. In fact they are relatively low. United Kingdom as a country has 63.3 MILLION people. That means not even 1% of the population have it. Like any flu Virus what covid is, it’s a strain of flu. Coming into the winter months when the immune system gets weaker you tend to catch more viruses like the flu. If you find the normal winter cold and flu numbers I bet they are pretty much the same at 40,000 per day. I think we just need to leave covid scaring behind now. Get on with our lives. "

You’re almost certainly wrong.

Flu has an R value of around 1.3.

Covid 3.0.

The fatality rate of covid is 1.1%, of flu it is 0.1%(-).

The vaccines promote a protection against symptomatic disease of over 70% for both flu and sars-cov-2.

hiding from cock pics.

Why are they doing that?

They’ve stopped testing at our local school over the summer and got rid of bubbles.

Kids no longer have to isolate if close to someone positive.

They definitely want everyone to get it! "

In our school they have to wear masks the whole day, and are back in bubbles. If a child removes their mask apart from in the eating areas they get behaviour points.

This and the PCR testing, and yet I don't know of any children off or testing positive at our school of about 1500 children

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"If honest them figures aren’t bad. In fact they are relatively low. United Kingdom as a country has 63.3 MILLION people. That means not even 1% of the population have it. Like any flu Virus what covid is, it’s a strain of flu. Coming into the winter months when the immune system gets weaker you tend to catch more viruses like the flu. If you find the normal winter cold and flu numbers I bet they are pretty much the same at 40,000 per day. I think we just need to leave covid scaring behind now. Get on with our lives. "

The official data is that last week 1 in 50 had Covid in the UK. That's 2% of the population. With that amount of people with it and an R rate of above 1, this sint going to go away any time soon

Please remember though a passport just gives a false sense of security as vaccinated people can still catch, carry and pass on the virus so a passport literly means nothing in the way of safety

By *anddXXXCouple  over a year ago

London

England has a Football Team, a team that represents the English FOOTBALL Association. USA probably has a Soccer team. If you call football, soccer, you shouldn't be using this medium to make a point.

England has a Football Team, a team that represents the English FOOTBALL Association. USA probably has a Soccer team. If you call football, soccer, you shouldn't be using this medium to make a point."

I do wonder how many supporters would be happy if their star player was out for a month coz they lost a week or two to being poorly after the vaccine. (coz it's probably two weeks out for every week not training).

» Add a new message to this topic