FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > HPV

HPV

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *entleman of Girth OP   Man  over a year ago

Copthorne

According to the Mouth Cancer Foundation, “The Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), transmitted through oral sex, could overtake tobacco and alcohol as the main risk factor within the next decade.”

Currently there are free vaccination programs for young people, gay men and sex workers (some of these programs are funded by charities). For the rest of us, we can get vaccinated, but at a cost of around £450 for the 3 shots needed.

Should this information be publicised wider, especially amongst this community?

Should it be nationally funded?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

If you are worried couldn't you get the vaccination free by saying you are a gay sex worker ?

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

"According to the Mouth Cancer Foundation, “The Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), transmitted through oral sex, could overtake tobacco and alcohol as the main risk factor within the next decade.”

Currently there are free vaccination programs for young people, gay men and sex workers (some of these programs are funded by charities). For the rest of us, we can get vaccinated, but at a cost of around £450 for the 3 shots needed.

"

I think it should be talked about more yes definitely

By *ddmanMan  over a year ago

Norwich

"According to the Mouth Cancer Foundation, “The Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), transmitted through oral sex, could overtake tobacco and alcohol as the main risk factor within the next decade.”

"

It should be more widely spoken about. I think it's one of those things one should consider as a cost for this "hobby", like a diver's wetsuit and air tanks.

In the UK, the groups that are eligible for the free vaccination programmes are those the govt/charities thinks will benefit society most for the least investment.

Which means that straight folks in nice, monogamous, closed relationships (the assumed norm) should rarely catch the scary strains because everyone at higher risk is/ can easily be jabbed. For this most part they're correct...

Except swingers; perhaps we're not represented by a pressure group (someone please start one, the Mail would have a field day!) or the government doesn't think we're statistically important.

*if* you haven't had the HPV jab and can't get it free, which appears to be straight women over 22(ish?)/ straight men/ MSM over 45, it may well be worth dropping some money on it.

By *ddmanMan  over a year ago

Norwich

"If you are worried couldn't you get the vaccination free by saying you are a gay sex worker ?"

I told my quack I was Bi, thier eyes lit up!

Not in *that* way, sadly, but they did offer me a bunch of free jabs and tests (hepatitis and HPV). YMMV with your local medic, but it was a surprisingly supportive event.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

It should be more widely spoken about. I think it's one of those things one should consider as a cost for this "hobby", like a diver's wetsuit and air tanks.

In the UK, the groups that are eligible for the free vaccination programmes are those the govt/charities thinks will benefit society most for the least investment.

Which means that straight folks in nice, monogamous, closed relationships (the assumed norm) should rarely catch the scary strains because everyone at higher risk is/ can easily be jabbed. For this most part they're correct...

Except swingers; perhaps we're not represented by a pressure group (someone please start one, the Mail would have a field day!) or the government doesn't think we're statistically important.

*if* you haven't had the HPV jab and can't get it free, which appears to be straight women over 22(ish?)/ straight men/ MSM over 45, it may well be worth dropping some money on it. "

Deep throat / face fucking is mentioned more on the forums, that the risks that go with it.

People are not interested in the side effects of it.

By *ollybirdWoman  over a year ago

east Cork

Here in Ireland the hpv jab is free to boys and girls in their first year of secondary school. Other than that your gp will do it as a cost of approx €250 per jab. So you could end up paying 750€ for them to be vaccinated

All secondary school going children should get this. For it to be more effective, the vaccination should be given before there is any sort of sexual act.

The benefit of giving the vaccine will far outweigh future medical costs

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Here in Ireland the hpv jab is free to boys and girls in their first year of secondary school. Other than that your gp will do it as a cost of approx €250 per jab. So you could end up paying 750€ for them to be vaccinated

All secondary school going children should get this. For it to be more effective, the vaccination should be given before there is any sort of sexual act.

The benefit of giving the vaccine will far outweigh future medical costs "

I'm very fortunate to have received the full HPV course when it first came out, courtesy of the Australian government.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

For the vaccine to be most effective it needs to be given before you are sexually active.

It can prevent new infections if given in adulthood but is no protection if you have already come into contact with it.

Test show most sexually active adults over the age of 40 will already have it in their system so vaccination is almost pointless in this age group.

Manchester (she/her)

"For the vaccine to be most effective it needs to be given before you are sexually active.

It can prevent new infections if given in adulthood but is no protection if you have already come into contact with it.

Test show most sexually active adults over the age of 40 will already have it in their system so vaccination is almost pointless in this age group. "

I was sexually active when I got mine, so I know it might not be perfect. There was an extension of age for women in their 20s when it first came out in Australia, which is why I was eligible.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"For the vaccine to be most effective it needs to be given before you are sexually active.

Test show most sexually active adults over the age of 40 will already have it in their system so vaccination is almost pointless in this age group. "

According to The WHO, nearly all cases of cervical cancer are caused by HPV, it also causes Anal cancers and Oral cancers so vaccination of everyone would be a really good idea. It is much cheaper (and quicker) to vaccinate the masses rather than test them all and then selectively vaccinate those without antibodies.

Cal

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I thought that hpv is something that most sexually active people will catch at some point but then your immune system fights it off, they don't even test guys at the gum clinic. Is it alot more serious than I thought?.

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

"I thought that hpv is something that most sexually active people will catch at some point but then your immune system fights it off, they don't even test guys at the gum clinic. Is it alot more serious than I thought?. "

It can be for those who's immune systems don't clear it yes

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

Test show most sexually active adults over the age of 40 will already have it in their system so vaccination is almost pointless in this age group.

According to The WHO, nearly all cases of cervical cancer are caused by HPV, it also causes Anal cancers and Oral cancers so vaccination of everyone would be a really good idea. It is much cheaper (and quicker) to vaccinate the masses rather than test them all and then selectively vaccinate those without antibodies.

Cal"

My point is the vaccine isn't recommended for over 40 as most people over that age are already carrying the hpv virus. That is why it is only routinely given to teenagers. If you want it over 40 you will have to pay. At least you do in the uk.

I alwats worry about this when I go for my smear test, even though I've not had sex for a year x

"I alwats worry about this when I go for my smear test, even though I've not had sex for a year x"

Always

By *nked_kittenWoman  over a year ago

Ankh Morpork

"I alwats worry about this when I go for my smear test, even though I've not had sex for a year x"

I just had mine come back all clear which was a nice surprise as previously I’ve been under the hospital with abnormal results

By *ooo wet tight hornyWoman  over a year ago

lancashire

Every one should be given this HPV protective jab, women can be screened for it during a routing smear test, not sure how a male would be screened for it, I don't see how they can just give all gay males the jab regardless if they may have HPV or not...that just seems wrong. I came back as free from this virus at my last smear and would jump to the chance of getting it but don't have the money of that amount to pay for it...just seems wrong really!

"I alwats worry about this when I go for my smear test, even though I've not had sex for a year x

I just had mine come back all clear which was a nice surprise as previously I’ve been under the hospital with abnormal results "

I went for mine in August but they want me to get another next year. I'm not sure what to do in the meantime, except for obviously staying safe x

lancashire

"I alwats worry about this when I go for my smear test, even though I've not had sex for a year x

I just had mine come back all clear which was a nice surprise as previously I’ve been under the hospital with abnormal results

I went for mine in August but they want me to get another next year. I'm not sure what to do in the meantime, except for obviously staying safe x"

That sounds like there has been some thing different in your cells and they want to see how they will have changed over the next year...like you say stay safe and up your immune system as if it's hpv then that could help clear it, I'd chat to my Doc' to clarify what the reason is too.. I do think that men should be regularly screened for it...surely that would be done the same as when they test them for any sti's.

I went for mine in August but they want me to get another next year. I'm not sure what to do in the meantime, except for obviously staying safe x

That sounds like there has been some thing different in your cells and they want to see how they will have changed over the next year...like you say stay safe and up your immune system as if it's hpv then that could help clear it, I'd chat to my Doc' to clarify what the reason is too.. I do think that men should be regularly screened for it...surely that would be done the same as when they test them for any sti's."

The letter said that there's no changes in my cells though but that they want me to get another smear test in a year x

lancashire

That sounds like there has been some thing different in your cells and they want to see how they will have changed over the next year...like you say stay safe and up your immune system as if it's hpv then that could help clear it, I'd chat to my Doc' to clarify what the reason is too.. I do think that men should be regularly screened for it...surely that would be done the same as when they test them for any sti's.

The letter said that there's no changes in my cells though but that they want me to get another smear test in a year x"

Oh ok...that's strange then?

The letter said that there's no changes in my cells though but that they want me to get another smear test in a year x

Oh ok...that's strange then? "

It is I know x

"

Yeah.. they dropped the ball on That one. Male immunity was to be provided by sex with women. But some men don’t have sex with women.. or unprotected. Oops.

Speak to your local sexual health clinic. I have an HPV jab as I was 10yrs into a relationship with a guy and it wasn’t likely he’d grow a vagina . That’s like 60yrs in gay years.

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

"If you are worried couldn't you get the vaccination free by saying you are a gay sex worker ?"

You'd say you are a gay sex worker to save £450?

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

When I was at High school 1982-87, German (Germain) measles was a disease I never saw. But, I do remember the fuss over the Rubella jab. which was only given to girls. This meant that anyone could get GM, if they weren't unvaccinated and the Rubella jab was purely a girl thing.

One disease, two names and only 50% of the teen population getting proactively protected. The other half i.e boys were left to luck.

Fast forward a few more years and it's the same story again but with HPV. Again only the girls get done.

Half hearted doesn't come close, does it?

An a random note I got a message from out of the blue, referring to the HPV situation today.

This is that message.

--------------------------------------------------

Hi, I’m not photo verified so I can’t reply in forum. But I notice people are talking about risk assessment and no one is mentioning the elephant in the room, hpv. Feel free to share this:

There is very poor awareness of hpv in england, including in the swinging community. There IS a privately available test for men but you have to search around for it. Once you’re clear definitely get vaccine. It’s free up to age 45 if you say you’re gay! After that it’s available privately but it’s a course of three shots over six months.

It’s a bitch for older people because it works best for the very young who can all get it free now, but uptake isn’t wide enough so hpv is still rife. It’s true most over thirty have had hpv but if you have a weaker immune system it’s very bad news.

Personally I’m having my vaccines now and I’m disappointed so few in e community know about it (I can’t find anyone safe to play with !)

More to the point it’s an avoidable form of cancer we can all avoid if more people know about it. Please spread the word!

Sorry for the rant, it’s tough being a swinger AND having a scientific approach to health. Hope it helps!

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

The Rubella jab was only given to girls as catching German measles during pregnancy can damage the foetus. For example, that is why my aunt was born deaf

Manchester (she/her)

"The Rubella jab was only given to girls as catching German measles during pregnancy can damage the foetus. For example, that is why my aunt was born deaf "

Thank god we've moved on and give it to everyone now. It's not just about the individual.

» Add a new message to this topic