FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Recovering from covid

Recovering from covid

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icolerobbie OP   Couple  over a year ago

walsall

Is it true that once people have had covid, that they are then immune to it due to their own antibodies being made?

A friend of mine has recently had covid and is now under the impression that she no longer need worry and is invincible.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oshker71Man  over a year ago

Cardiff

"Is it true that once people have had covid, that they are then immune to it due to their own antibodies being made?

A friend of mine has recently had covid and is now under the impression that she no longer need worry and is invincible. "

I’ve known people to get COVID twice so not sure how these anti bodies work but definitely not invincible.

walsall

"Is it true that once people have had covid, that they are then immune to it due to their own antibodies being made?

A friend of mine has recently had covid and is now under the impression that she no longer need worry and is invincible.

I’ve known people to get COVID twice so not sure how these anti bodies work but definitely not invincible."

This was exactly my thought.

By *isAdventure69Woman  over a year ago

Hampshire

I think they reckon you’re immune for 6 months .

Although I know a few people that have had Covid twice , all were about 12 months later .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I was told how true I don't know but the different variants make it hard to say whether you are or aren't likely to get it again

By *haggydogMan  over a year ago

Brooklands/Frome

I had it twice. I hope that answer your question.

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

A friend of mine has recently had covid and is now under the impression that she no longer need worry and is invincible. "

I think I had it Dec.2019 caught this new South African variant a month ago.

My sister two jabs has got the symptoms heavy but testing negative,new variant perhaps causing a problem testing.

It ain't over.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

My sister two jabs has got the symptoms heavy but testing negative,new variant perhaps causing a problem testing.

It ain't over."

Or she has something else? They are fairly common symptoms. I was knocked for 6 a few weeks back by some bug, felt worse than when I had covid. Two pcrs confirmed it wasn't though.

It ain't over."

So you don't know if you had it the first time.

What makes you think youve had a new variant a month ago?

It's just been confirmed the new variant IS picked up by testing.

Your sister probably has a non-covid infection.

walsall

"I had it twice. I hope that answer your question."

It certainly does, thanks. Was the second time as bad as the first?

walsall

It ain't over."

How did you know which variant that you caught?

By *r SproutMan  over a year ago

the middle somewhere

It ain't over.

How did you know which variant that you caught?"

They don’t. The PCR test wasn’t made to pick up covid-19. And they also don’t pick up what variant it has picked up

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Reinfections happen, with no guarantee of better outcome the next time around

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

I caught Covid April 2020 the other half got it November 2020 ,never caught it of partner and we did actually kiss , both have had worse colds than Covid , had jabs and what with both having it worked out our risk is 000.1 chance of dying with it

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Errrr no. I know a few people who've had it twice and one 3 times (though 3rd time was almost symptomless apparently in their case). The covid pass gives you 180 days "access" after a positive pcr test, so I'd assume any protection tails off after 180 days (though of course they could have just plucked the 180 days from the great covid bingo machine)

By *al kalMan  over a year ago

london

I recovered earlier this week. Previous to that I had been doubled vaxed....

Anyway I now have some level of natural immunity, but I can't assume will be 100% safe to future strains.

The virus doesn't have to be carried internally for you to infect someone. You accidently touch something\ a surface with sufficient amounts of the virus, you can easily transfer it and infect somebody else.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Be nice if that were true but sadly no. Not sure whether people catching Covid again are catching the same variant or a different variant?

Common sense (all I have) would say different variants of Covid in the same way as Colds and Flus can be caught more than once throughout your life but it is never the same variant.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Girl at work has recently had covid for a third time.

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

"Reinfections happen, with no guarantee of better outcome the next time around"

That’s true

Thousands of people have been reinfected, and sometimes the second infection has been worse - leading to death.

By *anesjhCouple  over a year ago

LONDON.

Just read about Bryan Adams.

Double vaccinated and has got covid for the 2nd time in a month.

Tin town

"Just read about Bryan Adams.

Double vaccinated and has got covid for the 2nd time in a month."

Got it at the five and dime

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Got it at the five and dime"

When he was busy having a 69 (I know juvenile and not the lyrics)

Double vaccinated and has got covid for the 2nd time in a month."

Surely that's just that he still has it in his system. I thought they didn't test for it again for X time because it can still show up.

Surely that's just that he still has it in his system. I thought they didn't test for it again for X time because it can still show up. "

He's on tour and just arrived in Italy, maybe they want a negative test regardless of the last time you had Covid. I'm glad they are treating the celebs like they treat us mear mortals

Brooklands/Frome

"I had it twice. I hope that answer your question.

It certainly does, thanks. Was the second time as bad as the first?"

It was worse really. But less worrying as I was confident that it wasn't going to kill me.

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

Variants are determined by sequencing the viral genome. This is an additional analysis step beyond the initialPCR and is done on a subset of positive ssamples to monitor for emerging strains.

By *uxuriantCouple  over a year ago

Sometimes Here, Sometimes There

At the point where the UK had seen 6.8 million confirmed COVID-19 cases, some 57,000 were identified as “second cases”. However, they can only be confirmed as a second case if they are sequenced and seen as a different variant to the first infection. Otherwise it may still be a positive result relating still to the first infection. Only 7,000 of those 57,000 were sequenced and of those some 3,500 were positively identified as second infections. Extrapolating from this one can deduct that approximately 28,500 of the 6.8 million actually had it twice. Therefore I think it’s fair to say that whilst it is possible ( and more likely over time) to catch Covid-19 twice or more, you are pretty unlucky if you do. Especially if you have also had the vaccine and booster as these tune a different part of our immune system to actually having had the virus. Source: New Scientist.

Brooklands/Frome

"At the point where the UK had seen 6.8 million confirmed COVID-19 cases, some 57,000 were identified as “second cases”. However, they can only be confirmed as a second case if they are sequenced and seen as a different variant to the first infection. Otherwise it may still be a positive result relating still to the first infection. Only 7,000 of those 57,000 were sequenced and of those some 3,500 were positively identified as second infections. Extrapolating from this one can deduct that approximately 28,500 of the 6.8 million actually had it twice. Therefore I think it’s fair to say that whilst it is possible ( and more likely over time) to catch Covid-19 twice or more, you are pretty unlucky if you do. Especially if you have also had the vaccine and booster as these tune a different part of our immune system to actually having had the virus. Source: New Scientist."

I would expect the actual numbers are much higher. Since we were told if you have symptoms stay home. In our house we had regular testing. But most people didn't. So would not of been counted at all.

By *dysseusukMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's never black and white. The number of antibodies and T-cells you produce and therefore the amount and longevity of the immune response/immunity will vary in response to viral load. Over time, the more you're naturally infected and the more vaccinations you have, the in theory the better your immune response will be each time, but new variants, effectiveness of your immune response, underlying health conditions, age and fitness will all play a factor, so there are no guarantees. Like anything in life though, it's about risk management.

By *inxnmasterCouple  over a year ago

naughty valley

Having recovered from covid does not make you immune of not getting it again . However I would think that natural obtained ability to fight the virus will out perform any vaccination and cross immunity effects against other/new variants will have a higher efficacy as publications in „The Lancet“ and other medic journals confirm .

Tin town

"At the point where the UK had seen 6.8 million confirmed COVID-19 cases, some 57,000 were identified as “second cases”. However, they can only be confirmed as a second case if they are sequenced and seen as a different variant to the first infection. Otherwise it may still be a positive result relating still to the first infection. Only 7,000 of those 57,000 were sequenced and of those some 3,500 were positively identified as second infections. Extrapolating from this one can deduct that approximately 28,500 of the 6.8 million actually had it twice. Therefore I think it’s fair to say that whilst it is possible ( and more likely over time) to catch Covid-19 twice or more, you are pretty unlucky if you do. Especially if you have also had the vaccine and booster as these tune a different part of our immune system to actually having had the virus. Source: New Scientist."

Well that's lovely. Not sure how close to reality that is though. I'm not sure why anyone expects covid to be different to other viruses which we catch regularly and more than once. Flu, norovirus to name but two.

By *aysOfOurLivesCouple  over a year ago

Chigwell

Got it at the five and dime"

His coughing kept waking up the neighbours

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Technically the answer is 90 days….. because the more severe the case of covid you have, the more antibodies you have in your body that you needed to fight it!

Not in the slightest. Friend of mine had covid early. Got both jabs and then got covid again

By *uxuriantCouple  over a year ago

Sometimes Here, Sometimes There

"At the point where the UK had seen 6.8 million confirmed COVID-19 cases, some 57,000 were identified as “second cases”. However, they can only be confirmed as a second case if they are sequenced and seen as a different variant to the first infection. Otherwise it may still be a positive result relating still to the first infection. Only 7,000 of those 57,000 were sequenced and of those some 3,500 were positively identified as second infections. Extrapolating from this one can deduct that approximately 28,500 of the 6.8 million actually had it twice. Therefore I think it’s fair to say that whilst it is possible ( and more likely over time) to catch Covid-19 twice or more, you are pretty unlucky if you do. Especially if you have also had the vaccine and booster as these tune a different part of our immune system to actually having had the virus. Source: New Scientist.

Well that's lovely. Not sure how close to reality that is though. I'm not sure why anyone expects covid to be different to other viruses which we catch regularly and more than once. Flu, norovirus to name but two. "

I doubt you’d catch the same flu or Norovirus bug twice in a year either.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

No some people have had it twice and others even 3 times.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Some people make better immune responses than others (to natural infection and to vaccines). Some people will make antibodies after the natural infection, some won't. The levels will be different in different people, depending on all sorts of factors, but age is the biggest. Antibody mediated immunity is only one facet of an immune response after experiencing an infection previously though.

Finally, antibodies are specific to the specific antigen they have formed to bind to. The fact that SARS-CoV-2 variants, with mutations in the spike protein for example, are widespread and varied, will potentially mean immunity to one variant isn't effective against a different variant.

No-one should be thinking themselves invincible.

By *imited 3EditionCouple  over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

A study published in Lancet showed immunity generated through natural infection was superior to vaccine induced immunity.

Natural infection would result in antibodies being generated against the whole virus/ different viral proteins rather than just spike protein. Which would result in a molecular army that is more diverse than it would be if you had only seen spike protein...so when your body encounters a new variant you are still going to able to mount a response to other parts of it. Theoretically anyway.

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

"Reinfections happen, with no guarantee of better outcome the next time around

That’s true

Thousands of people have been reinfected, and sometimes the second infection has been worse - leading to death. "

Are you a journalist? Your thousands and death… sort of doesn’t tell the true story!

By *asterandGenieCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

[Removed by poster at 27/11/21 21:25:07]

By *asterandGenieCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

It ain't over."

You caught omicron a month ago? A variant that’s is only just becoming known about and with 2 cases in the uk?

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

If you've had COVID or a jab, the assumption was that you can still catch it but symptoms were more likely not to need hospital treatment.

I don't know why anti vaxxers are claiming this is a valid reason vaccination is fake.

The problem with the new variant is the possibility that it can evade already present immunity and causing the same severe outcomes the first versions were causing the first time around.

If it does prove the case, then everyone, vaccinated, recovered or non vaccinated is again at risk of a bad outcome. Until vaccines are modified to account for this version, protection is only good for the first generations which is where the problem lies.

If mitigation is not put in place, the new version becomes dominant and we are back at square one with an over stretched NHS and higher % dying if infected with it.

Same reason flu jab gets modified each year to protect against new variants.

» Add a new message to this topic