FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Remember when we first heard 'herd immunity'?

Remember when we first heard 'herd immunity'?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atEvolution OP   Couple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

The country - the World perhaps - went nuts! (mostly).

Now we are hearing it from so many places that it is starting to become 'the accepted narrative'.

More common are the terms 'let's make a proper strategy with regard to those who need protecting and let the rest of the World move on'. The seasonal Cold and Flu Factor?

Was this the 'Omicron factor' or is it a World worn out and so financially at risk that nothing else makes any real sense?

Thoughts on a biscuit - please play nice.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It feels like it's the omicron factor. They've reviewed the data now and determined it's less lethal so are reducing restrictions.

If a new lethal variant appears I would think there will be lockdowns again or at least wary restrictions until they have determined how lethal it is. Same as they did with omicron.

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

The thing is I think the first talks of herd immunity where with regards to naturally occurring herd immunity which would have taken much longer and lead to a substantially higher death toll, where as now its more of a vaccine induced herd immunity which has reduced the cost in lives lost by a potentially huge number making it a much more acceptable course of action which if it can be achieved would hopefully be the beginning of the end for the current pandemic.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"The country - the World perhaps - went nuts! (mostly).

Now we are hearing it from so many places that it is starting to become 'the accepted narrative'.

More common are the terms 'let's make a proper strategy with regard to those who need protecting and let the rest of the World move on'. The seasonal Cold and Flu Factor?

Was this the 'Omicron factor' or is it a World worn out and so financially at risk that nothing else makes any real sense?

"

To be honest, the term is mostly misunderstood.

Herd immunity is reached when there is enough immunity within the herd (or community) that a virus is unable to effectively spread. This immunity can be acquired through active infections or vaccinations.

Cal

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

ah yes i do remember. that was about the same time that the then missing prime minister who was constantly holidaying, entertaining chums, gorging on luxury food and quaffing expensive drinks finally got around to saying 'let the bodies pile high in their thousands'.

what a charming man ... not

Now this new bug has virtually been shown to not be too bad, i feel we shoukd stop testing all together. If you feel shit stay home. Feel ok, do what youd normally do. No testing would mean msm would have nothing to report on re this, so fear would drop and itd fade into oblivion like shamima burgham story did

"ah yes i do remember. that was about the same time that the then missing prime minister who was constantly holidaying, entertaining chums, gorging on luxury food and quaffing expensive drinks finally got around to saying 'let the bodies pile high in their thousands'.

what a charming man ... not"

Always adds to the conversation TY.

I thought they'd discovered this wasn't possible, at this point anyway.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"ah yes i do remember. that was about the same time that the then missing prime minister who was constantly holidaying, entertaining chums, gorging on luxury food and quaffing expensive drinks finally got around to saying 'let the bodies pile high in their thousands'.

what a charming man ... not

Always adds to the conversation TY."

glad to be of help to you

"Now this new bug has virtually been shown to not be too bad, i feel we shoukd stop testing all together. If you feel shit stay home. Feel ok, do what youd normally do. No testing would mean msm would have nothing to report on re this, so fear would drop and itd fade into oblivion like shamima burgham story did"

Well said. But we know that common sense, or autonomy, aren't welcome in the covid game.

"Now this new bug has virtually been shown to not be too bad, i feel we shoukd stop testing all together. If you feel shit stay home. Feel ok, do what youd normally do. No testing would mean msm would have nothing to report on re this, so fear would drop and itd fade into oblivion like shamima burgham story did"

[Removed by poster at 02/01/22 19:33:33]

"It feels like it's the omicron factor. They've reviewed the data now and determined it's less lethal so are reducing restrictions.

If a new lethal variant appears I would think there will be lockdowns again or at least wary restrictions until they have determined how lethal it is. Same as they did with omicron. "

Your thumb is impressive

"The country - the World perhaps - went nuts! (mostly).

To be honest, the term is mostly misunderstood.

Herd immunity is reached when there is enough immunity within the herd (or community) that a virus is unable to effectively spread. This immunity can be acquired through active infections or vaccinations.

Cal"

Point accepted. But in a World where the rest of the World is moving on . . . with seasonal Flu each year people choose their immunity risk factor - to flu inject or not for example

The thing is that, we really couldn't have had these conversations prior to Omicron without people screaming deaths figures at each other and rushing to one side of the room or the other.

Now. Many more scientists and pundits (and not of the nutcracker variety lol) are suggesting (softly) that maybe now is that time?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've not seen many published research studies on this, so the OPs claim for this to be everywhere seems a little peculiar.

With new material, theories come and go. Herd immunity as a concept isn't totally good or bad either. It's a conceptual point. If more people acquire immunity via vaccines, than a higher than avoidable number of people suffering severe illness and higher losses of life, that's a good thing.

We still don't know the trajectory of the virus. Most of the world are not vaccinated, so we have a significant path ahead. We can hope for variants with milder effects but that could be wishful thinking. Much is still unknown and not managed to great effect, especially whilst the immensely fortunate here and elsewhere do their best to keep things at a more dangerous level than is necessary.

"I've not seen many published research studies on this, so the OPs claim for this to be everywhere seems a little peculiar.

"

There are lots of respectable science studies that state clearly that Covid will become endemic.

Having a milder virus circulate isn't herd immunity. That's just an acceptance, just as with the common cold.

Countries got to the level thought to be required for herd immunity but it didn't happen.

We'd need either better vaccines or even higher take up.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Not sure we are close to herd immunity and from the evidence and it's continued spread and multiple infections.. Not sure it's even achievable with this virus. Over a million infections a week would not indicate herd immunity. Still..... Its a good soundbite.

"Not sure we are close to herd immunity and from the evidence and it's continued spread and multiple infections.. Not sure it's even achievable with this virus. Over a million infections a week would not indicate herd immunity. Still..... Its a good soundbite. "

To be fair. My post doesn't suggest that there is herd Immunity. It does talk about a change in tone.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"I've not seen many published research studies on this, so the OPs claim for this to be everywhere seems a little peculiar.

There are lots of respectable science studies that state clearly that Covid will become endemic."

I agree Cat. I was referring more to the OPs point that it is suddenly the major point du jour. There's substantial material out there on likely outcomes.

Let's hope that herd immunity gets the greatest achievement via vaccines, if we reach it.

There are lots of respectable science studies that state clearly that Covid will become endemic.

I agree Cat. I was referring more to the OPs point that it is suddenly the major point du jour. There's substantial material out there on likely outcomes.

Let's hope that herd immunity gets the greatest achievement via vaccines, if we reach it. "

Oh I'm all vax lol. 5 in three years

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Not sure we are close to herd immunity and from the evidence and it's continued spread and multiple infections.. Not sure it's even achievable with this virus. Over a million infections a week would not indicate herd immunity. Still..... Its a good soundbite.

To be fair. My post doesn't suggest that there is herd Immunity. It does talk about a change in tone. "

Well there's certainly a lot of covid fatigue about... But not convinced because we are all royally pissed off with it, its going to change its course very much. We still seem to be reacting to the latest set of headlines and only planning for the next week ahead....

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

With new material, theories come and go. Herd immunity as a concept isn't totally good or bad either. It's a conceptual point. If more people acquire immunity via vaccines, than a higher than avoidable number of people suffering severe illness and higher losses of life, that's a good thing.

We still don't know the trajectory of the virus. Most of the world are not vaccinated, so we have a significant path ahead. We can hope for variants with milder effects but that could be wishful thinking. Much is still unknown and not managed to great effect, especially whilst the immensely fortunate here and elsewhere do their best to keep things at a more dangerous level than is necessary. "

Considered politics?

» Add a new message to this topic