FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Testing accuracy

Testing accuracy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

After managing to dodge Covid since start of pandemic, I became ill on Thursday all of a sudden with flu/covid like symptoms. Done two lfts that showed negative so thought just be a bad cold but ordered PCR anyways. Felt miles better Friday, but not great. Did an lft, was positive. PCR sent off and am now waiting on results. Done two lfts this morning, both negative..

Has anyone else experienced similar? I have to isolate for another 10 days according to Covid app but I'm feeling a lot better than yesterday. Can I assume I can come out of isolation if negative day 5 and 6?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

If you are at least double vaccinated you can come out of isolation after 5 full days if you test negative on days 5 and 6. Do you have covid I would highly likely. Lfts can in some infections only test positive for a short window of time. Lfts can give false negatives but arever very unlikely to give false positives if the test is done correctly. The PCR will telling you have been infected.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Chances of a false positive on LF is small - much higher risk of false negs. Good sensitivity/poor specificity. PCR is the gold standard for a reason.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

The earlier LFT negatives will either have been due to swabbing technique or low viral load at the start of the illness. As symptoms have progressed, you are now testing positive because there's enough viral sample to be detected.

"If you are at least double vaccinated you can come out of isolation after 5 full days if you test negative on days 5 and 6. Do you have covid I would highly likely. Lfts can in some infections only test positive for a short window of time. Lfts can give false negatives but arever very unlikely to give false positives if the test is done correctly. The PCR will telling you have been infected."

I think it highly likely I have Covid also, it's the negative results that's threw me off a bit this morning. Test was definitely done correctly as test regularly and test others regularly as part of my job. PCR was sent yesterday, so hopefully get those results soon.

"Chances of a false positive on LF is small - much higher risk of false negs. Good sensitivity/poor specificity. PCR is the gold standard for a reason. "

Yeah, that's why I ordered PCR even when first LFTs were showing negative.

"If you are at least double vaccinated you can come out of isolation after 5 full days if you test negative on days 5 and 6. Do you have covid I would highly likely. Lfts can in some infections only test positive for a short window of time. Lfts can give false negatives but arever very unlikely to give false positives if the test is done correctly. The PCR will telling you have been infected.

I think it highly likely I have Covid also, it's the negative results that's threw me off a bit this morning. Test was definitely done correctly as test regularly and test others regularly as part of my job. PCR was sent yesterday, so hopefully get those results soon."

Do you test the nose and mouth still ?

"If you are at least double vaccinated you can come out of isolation after 5 full days if you test negative on days 5 and 6. Do you have covid I would highly likely. Lfts can in some infections only test positive for a short window of time. Lfts can give false negatives but arever very unlikely to give false positives if the test is done correctly. The PCR will telling you have been infected.

I think it highly likely I have Covid also, it's the negative results that's threw me off a bit this morning. Test was definitely done correctly as test regularly and test others regularly as part of my job. PCR was sent yesterday, so hopefully get those results soon.

Do you test the nose and mouth still ?"

Not with the new LFT's, PCR results recieved and I am positive.

Not with the new LFT's, PCR results recieved and I am positive."

There in could lie the issue, although the box says only swab the nose I've read a lot of reports that state each varient is more prevalent in certain areas. Delta was caught more in the nasel whereas Omicron is more in the mouth.

It came from some American studies because their LFT's aren't sanctioned to be used in the mouth in home use.Like the swabs we get here the sticks are far smaller than they were at the beginning of testing.

I'm in recovery of covid, and I tested positive until day 11, by swabbing the inside of the cheeks, top and bottom of the tongue and nostrils.

There in could lie the issue, although the box says only swab the nose I've read a lot of reports that state each varient is more prevalent in certain areas. Delta was caught more in the nasel whereas Omicron is more in the mouth.

It came from some American studies because their LFT's aren't sanctioned to be used in the mouth in home use.Like the swabs we get here the sticks are far smaller than they were at the beginning of testing.

I'm in recovery of covid, and I tested positive until day 11, by swabbing the inside of the cheeks, top and bottom of the tongue and nostrils.

"

That is quite interesting to hear, as have been testing residents and other service users nostrils only as directed by Medical staff.

I do remember a few patients who we were only able to obtain swabs from just inside the nostril due to them pulling away and still getting positive results, but that was over 5 months ago, so may well be due to variant of Covid.

I only tested positive friday, so will see on Wednesday, and will take on board what you have said in regards to stabbing mouth as well as nostrils.

That is quite interesting to hear, as have been testing residents and other service users nostrils only as directed by Medical staff.

I do remember a few patients who we were only able to obtain swabs from just inside the nostril due to them pulling away and still getting positive results, but that was over 5 months ago, so may well be due to variant of Covid.

I only tested positive friday, so will see on Wednesday, and will take on board what you have said in regards to stabbing mouth as well as nostrils."

I'm no Dr just passing on info but it made a lot of sense to me if you want to be sure of your result.

If it helps to keep people safe and stay isolated then it can only be a good thing in my book

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Family member has failed daily lft for 3 weeks now,as she has to test prior to each shift. The numerous pcr are all negative. No one knows why. And yes, she has been using lft for months.

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

"After managing to dodge Covid since start of pandemic, I became ill on Thursday all of a sudden with flu/covid like symptoms. Done two lfts that showed negative so thought just be a bad cold but ordered PCR anyways. Felt miles better Friday, but not great. Did an lft, was positive. PCR sent off and am now waiting on results. Done two lfts this morning, both negative..

Has anyone else experienced similar? I have to isolate for another 10 days according to Covid app but I'm feeling a lot better than yesterday. Can I assume I can come out of isolation if negative day 5 and 6? "

A friend of mines wife tested positive just before Christmas , he felt poorly a few days later thinking he’d caught covid too but a full week of negative tests showed he didn’t so like you he thought it was just a cold then on the 8th day if testing he finally got a positive Lft test confirmed later by a pcr test so I don’t think the lfts are accurate at all .

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Family member has failed daily lft for 3 weeks now,as she has to test prior to each shift. The numerous pcr are all negative. No one knows why. And yes, she has been using lft for months. "

My brother had this between Christmas and New year. Positive for 5 days on LFT but PCR x3 negative. Caused him a lot of problems workwise because at the time, only PCR was accepted for financial support but his employer wouldn't let him work when positive on LFT. He had no symptoms at all.

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

"After managing to dodge Covid since start of pandemic, I became ill on Thursday all of a sudden with flu/covid like symptoms. Done two lfts that showed negative so thought just be a bad cold but ordered PCR anyways. Felt miles better Friday, but not great. Did an lft, was positive. PCR sent off and am now waiting on results. Done two lfts this morning, both negative..

Has anyone else experienced similar? I have to isolate for another 10 days according to Covid app but I'm feeling a lot better than yesterday. Can I assume I can come out of isolation if negative day 5 and 6? A friend of mines wife tested positive just before Christmas , he felt poorly a few days later thinking he’d caught covid too but a full week of negative tests showed he didn’t so like you he thought it was just a cold then on the 8th day if testing he finally got a positive Lft test confirmed later by a pcr test so I don’t think the lfts are accurate at all . "

I think the problem is not so much the tests but often it could be down to the technique used when taking the test ie if the test is done by someone trained to administer the tests they will have more confidence when it comes to how far to insert the swab to make sure the right areas of the nose and throat are swabbed and correctly to pick up any trace of the virus. I mean before this all started how many of us had any experience of self administering a throat and nasal swab to test for a virus? I know I for one had never done it.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

I had what I assumed was a cold over xmas, backed up by negative lft's over period of about 14 days. I then got a faint positive, confirmed to be positive by pcr then back to testing negative the next day on lft's.

That's swabbing nose and throat thoroughly too.

My confidence in LFT's has dwindled now. Thankfully No one I was around caught it.

"The earlier LFT negatives will either have been due to swabbing technique or low viral load at the start of the illness. As symptoms have progressed, you are now testing positive because there's enough viral sample to be detected. "

agreed - the home tests dont pick up low viral load. i was exposed to the virus last friday (close contact tested LFT positive on Saturday) and was testing by LFT daily. I didnt test positive til wednesday, when some symptoms also started.

» Add a new message to this topic