FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > How long are you infectious?

How long are you infectious?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have now tested positive for nine days and wondered if anyone else has been longer?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

My mother in law tested positive for nine weeks then gave up testing

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

When you say testing I assume you mean lateral flow tests right?

No idea about those but I do believe that PCR tests will pick up “dead virus particles” for up to six months after being originally positive. So you continue to show positive.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

My mother in laws were PCR tests. The doctor told her she wouldn't be contagious any more

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hi - doctor (currently with covid) here

When you have covid, LFT and PCR seem likely to be positive for about 8-12 days on average - can be shorter, can be a bit longer.

BUT - PCR tests will continue to pick up virus long after a contagious infection in some cases

If your symptoms clear after a few days, negative LFTs are likely to follow

Cheers, and rest up with plenty of paracetamol

"Hi - doctor (currently with covid) here

When you have covid, LFT and PCR seem likely to be positive for about 8-12 days on average - can be shorter, can be a bit longer.

BUT - PCR tests will continue to pick up virus long after a contagious infection in some cases

Cheers, and rest up with plenty of paracetamol "

Thank you for the advice.. now positive after 10 days.

So much for the government working on 5 days... can we really believe anything they say?

So much for the government working on 5 days... can we really believe anything they say?"

hope you test negative soon to put your mind at rest, but you can test positive for up to 90 days, but as long as you show no new symptoms you wont be infectious

If you’re not symptomatic, then you are unlikely to be contagious after 10 days.

I personally think the government’s 5 day thing is not backed up by the science - even a mild case usually lasts 5 or 6 days

Be well x

this might explain better from government advice given in november

We’re hearing that some people are taking a second test at the end of their 10 day isolation period (following a positive PCR test), to see if they are still infectious and then are continuing to isolate because that second test is positive.

You do not need to take a PCR test at the end of your isolation period. Once you have completed 10 days isolation, and providing you are feeling well, or if the only symptoms you have are a cough or loss of smell (which can last for several weeks), you are then able to return to normal activity, while continuing to take the usual precautions such as using face coverings, good hand hygiene and making sure rooms are well ventilated.

The reason being, if you’ve just finished self-isolating, you’re likely to test positive for a while because the virus is still present. But by then, it’s much less likely to transmit to others. 

The public health advice is to not take a PCR or lateral flow test for 90 days after testing positive with a PCR test, unless you develop new symptoms during that time. If you develop symptoms during that time, re-test using PCR. Similarly, the advice is to wait 28 days after testing positive with a PCR test to have your COVID-19 vaccination.

obviously the isolation period has now changed

Precisely!

But the messaging has been confusing throughout, and it’s even contradictory now.

Basically - if you’re symptomatic and positive, then isolate. If you’re asymptomatic and tested positive previously, then you’ve recovered!

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

So much for the government working on 5 days... can we really believe anything they say?"

Govt advice seems to be giving mixed signals not for the first time... Don't test, then you won't be testing positive. Similar to stopping the testing of arriving traveller's. It would be interesting to know how many of those lft testing on day 6 to allow return to work after 5 full days of isolation are testing negative / positive. Seems a bit of a coin toss given the well published lack of accuracy of lfts when giving giving false negatives. And indeed whether a positive or negative lft has got anything at all to with if someone is contagious or not.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

They are going on the economy rather than public health now, the fallback of so many people off sick at the same time is horrific.

Until a new strain appears which is deadlier isolation will eventually disappear and become personal choice

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple  over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"this might explain better from government advice given in november

We’re hearing that some people are taking a second test at the end of their 10 day isolation period (following a positive PCR test), to see if they are still infectious and then are continuing to isolate because that second test is positive.

You do not need to take a PCR test at the end of your isolation period. Once you have completed 10 days isolation, and providing you are feeling well, or if the only symptoms you have are a cough or loss of smell (which can last for several weeks), you are then able to return to normal activity, while continuing to take the usual precautions such as using face coverings, good hand hygiene and making sure rooms are well ventilated.

The reason being, if you’ve just finished self-isolating, you’re likely to test positive for a while because the virus is still present. But by then, it’s much less likely to transmit to others. 

The public health advice is to not take a PCR or lateral flow test for 90 days after testing positive with a PCR test, unless you develop new symptoms during that time. If you develop symptoms during that time, re-test using PCR. Similarly, the advice is to wait 28 days after testing positive with a PCR test to have your COVID-19 vaccination.

"

Anyone know what you're supposed to do for international travel given you can't get a pcr test for 90 days and some countries require that?

Now I am totally confused..

10 days and still showing positive on lateral flow but I had 3 jabs and although the symptoms were not nice they were pretty mild and totally different to what I had been told.

No real cough, no loss of smell or taste, no temp.

I had a headache, really fuzzy thinking and a feeling of sickness. I also had a dry throat and dry eyes and a bit of a running nose.

Should I still be isolating, am I infectious or do I do a Boris and make my own rules up?

This is a big issue - basically, most private PCR tests for travel are now administered at home (ie they are unsupervised). The expectation seems to be that many people will pay to c. £80 for PCR test and then not use the swab - ie ensuring a negative result - and then travel. This is obviously very selfish in terms of transmitting the virus but it’s a hazard of having such a privatised system in England

By *ldbutrandyMan  over a year ago

Walsall

"Now I am totally confused..

10 days and still showing positive on lateral flow but I had 3 jabs and although the symptoms were not nice they were pretty mild and totally different to what I had been told.

No real cough, no loss of smell or taste, no temp.

I had a headache, really fuzzy thinking and a feeling of sickness. I also had a dry throat and dry eyes and a bit of a running nose.

Should I still be isolating, am I infectious or do I do a Boris and make my own rules up?"

It's confusing because it's a learning process for everyone even the experts.

New variant , maybe new symptoms. Shorter infectious stage ? Maybe , maybe not.

I read the chances are after 3 days of showing symptoms or positive test the amount of virus you may shed is minimal.

So your safe to go out , just be extra sensible for a short while.

By *iss DevilWoman  over a year ago

Bedford

Our guidelines (I work in care) state that, even if you are still testing positive on LFTs on Day 14, you can stop testing and come back to work on Day 15. But I do think it mentions liasing with management regarding potentially being not in close contact with service users/residents, wearing full PPE etc.

"Our guidelines (I work in care) state that, even if you are still testing positive on LFTs on Day 14, you can stop testing and come back to work on Day 15. But I do think it mentions liasing with management regarding potentially being not in close contact with service users/residents, wearing full PPE etc."

Thank you... basically after 10-14 days we are still guessing and no one knows if you are infectious or not!!!

By *iss DevilWoman  over a year ago

Bedford

"Our guidelines (I work in care) state that, even if you are still testing positive on LFTs on Day 14, you can stop testing and come back to work on Day 15. But I do think it mentions liasing with management regarding potentially being not in close contact with service users/residents, wearing full PPE etc.

Thank you... basically after 10-14 days we are still guessing and no one knows if you are infectious or not!!!"

Exactly that. And you can cut your self-isolation to just 5(!!!) full days if you test negative... How???

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

"Our guidelines (I work in care) state that, even if you are still testing positive on LFTs on Day 14, you can stop testing and come back to work on Day 15. But I do think it mentions liasing with management regarding potentially being not in close contact with service users/residents, wearing full PPE etc.

Thank you... basically after 10-14 days we are still guessing and no one knows if you are infectious or not!!!"

Pretty much, but then it is still a new virus being only 2 years since we discovered it, the research is still on going and the virus is still happily mutating so we are continually playing catch up. From what I understood if you weren't getting a high after 10 days you were good to go out, but it seems that people arent getting the high temp in the first place now so that makes things a little awkward my younger brother had covid just before christmas and all he hot were cold like symptoms but his partner was quite ill with it at the same time yet he is the one at more risk due to asthma and diabetes

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Because the disease follows a curve in the general population that rises steeply and falls more gradually. So that by day 6 or 7 only around 10% will still be contagious. It's another statistical trade-off of risk vs benefit.

Thank you... basically after 10-14 days we are still guessing and no one knows if you are infectious or not!!!

Exactly that. And you can cut your self-isolation to just 5(!!!) full days if you test negative... How???"

Tin town

Given the thread so far... Anyone got any idea why or how they arrived at 10 days isolation to start... With no test to prove you're negative and now how they arrived at 5 days? Or was it the same method that picked 5 a day is the well balanced way?

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I didn't do another test after my 10 day isolation period.

I still have the cough and catarrh in my ears and sinuses.

East London

"Given the thread so far... Anyone got any idea why or how they arrived at 10 days isolation to start... With no test to prove you're negative and now how they arrived at 5 days? Or was it the same method that picked 5 a day is the well balanced way? "

I thought it was to do with your immune system dealing with the virus so it's no longer transmissible.

Like having chicken pox scabs but not infectious.

I've been out and about with my mask on since my isolation finished.

I am careful where I cough still.

My dad is still testing positive 17 days later.

He’s rang the covid line and they’ve told him he can show positive for upto 90 days and that he’s ok to go out.

My mums had it in that time and she tested negative from day 4.

By *wakers14Man  over a year ago

burgess hill

Phone up your gp and ask, or NHS tel. They can give you a real answer. Unlike anybody on here who may be listening to or reading good or bad info.

East London

"My dad is still testing positive 17 days later.

He’s rang the covid line and they’ve told him he can show positive for upto 90 days and that he’s ok to go out.

My mums had it in that time and she tested negative from day 4."

I was told the 90 day thing, so went out after 10.

East London

"Phone up your gp and ask, or NHS tel. They can give you a real answer. Unlike anybody on here who may be listening to or reading good or bad info."

I got a message from the NHS telling me what to do.

I don't recall them saying I had to test negative before I could go out, or anything about being contagious.

I assumed the 10 day isolation was until we are no longer contagious.

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

"Phone up your gp and ask, or NHS tel. They can give you a real answer. Unlike anybody on here who may be listening to or reading good or bad info.

I don't recall them saying I had to test negative before I could go out, or anything about being contagious.

I assumed the 10 day isolation was until we are no longer contagious. "

Here is a link to the current guidelines https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

Tin town

"Phone up your gp and ask, or NHS tel. They can give you a real answer. Unlike anybody on here who may be listening to or reading good or bad info."

That's so funny.

East London

"Phone up your gp and ask, or NHS tel. They can give you a real answer. Unlike anybody on here who may be listening to or reading good or bad info.

I assumed the 10 day isolation was until we are no longer contagious.

Here is a link to the current guidelines https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection"

Yes, I did the day 5 lft myself, but was still positive.

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

I assumed the 10 day isolation was until we are no longer contagious. "

Same, I'm still positive at day 6 so still at least 2 more days

Are you using a LFT or PCR test, PCR pick up antibodies which can test positive

By *_T_WWoman  over a year ago

Stockport

I heard that at least 33% of people are still infectious after 5 days . Not sure this is true or not

"Are you using a LFT or PCR test, PCR pick up antibodies which can test positive "

My dads been using LFT and still testing positive although he’s been told he can go out

"Are you using a LFT or PCR test, PCR pick up antibodies which can test positive

My dads been using LFT and still testing positive although he’s been told he can go out "

I am using a LFT test but my wife who showed positive at the same time was negative after 5 days...

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

It baffles me that some people will get their health advice from a Swinger's site!

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

"It baffles me that some people will get their health advice from a Swinger's site! "

Were they asking for actual advice tho or was the question "anyone testing positive longer than 9 days?"

I think this thread tells us a lot about where we are with covid in this country!!! I’m a doctor and I can say for sure that the guidelines are confusing and very much a work in progress.

At the moment, the basic rule is that after 10 days, you are not infectious (even if you test positive, that’s antibodies and minor viral shedding). So you isolate for ten days - but if you can test negative on day 5 and 6 you can release yourself from isolation.

Everyone handles the virus differently and experiences it differently - depends on vaccination status, blood type, underlying health, age, gender, etc etc.

Top tips

- soluble paracetamol

- rest

- get vaccinated and boosted

- ring 111 or speak to GP if concerned

By *igertigerCouple (MM)  over a year ago

nr you

Cheers, and rest up with plenty of paracetamol "

how reliable are antibody tests, ones that are not supposed to pick up vaccines?

They are exceptionally reliable - because they are a blood test - they will tell you if your body has developed antibodies

"It baffles me that some people will get their health advice from a Swinger's site! "

It baffles me that someone comes on here, offers nothing but criticism and has not even read the original question.....

I gave up testing after day 8 as I didn't see the point as at the time 10 days isolation was required.

"It baffles me that some people will get their health advice from a Swinger's site!

It baffles me that someone comes on here, offers nothing but criticism and has not even read the original question....."

Hahaha 100%

Also, top tip - make sure you blow your nose before you take an LFT

By *elkieWoman  over a year ago

Durham

Today is day 5 (from positive LFT) for me, got my second negative lateral flow test. Day 3, I had a very VERY faint line. So it works for some people.

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

"It baffles me that some people will get their health advice from a Swinger's site!

Were they asking for actual advice tho or was the question "anyone testing positive longer than 9 days?" "

I wasn't thinking of the OP specifically.

By *DGF20Man  over a year ago

Dublin

I been negative on antigen test five days after been tested positive on PCR

By *hoirCouple  over a year ago

Bury St Edmunds/Clacton

"I have now tested positive for nine days and wondered if anyone else has been longer?

"

Online acquaintance of mine finally tested negative after 19 days

C

By *.L.0460.Woman  over a year ago

Bognor Regis

I tested positive earlier today whilst at work, so obviously got sent home.

I feel like I have a bit of a head cold coming on- fingers crossed I only have to isolate for the minimum time, as I can't afford to lose my wage for much longer than that

By *igertigerCouple (MM)  over a year ago

nr you

"They are exceptionally reliable - because they are a blood test - they will tell you if your body has developed antibodies"

Thanks!

» Add a new message to this topic